Breaking: Frank Lautenberg to retire in 2014, clearing the way for Senator Geraldo

posted at 4:04 pm on February 14, 2013 by Allahpundit

Seriously, though, sounds like we’re right on track for the big 2020 Rubio vs. Booker showdown.

“I am not announcing the end of anything. I am announcing the beginning of a two-year mission to pass new gun safety laws, protect children from toxic chemicals and create more opportunities for working families in New Jersey,” Lautenberg told the Star-Ledger. “While I may not be seeking re-election, there is plenty of work to do before the end of this term and I’m going to keep fighting as hard asever for the people of New Jersey in the U.S. Senate.”…

At home, he has tangled with Gov. Chris Christie on a number of issues, criticizing the Republican governor for slashing funds for the poor, nixing a new rail tunnel linking New Jersey and New York and merging Rutgers-Camden with Rowan University. And he has been critical of Democrats who have formed their own cozy relationships with Christie, accusing them of weakening the party.

Everything’s coming up Christie these days, huh? Not only is one of his chief Democratic enemies retiring, his most formidable potential challenger for governor, Booker, now is free and clear to pursue a different office. (Who knows? Maybe the big 2020 showdown will be the long-awaited Christie vs. Booker superfight after all.) Last month, when the buzz about Lautenberg retiring first started humming, I thought a primary between him and Booker would be intriguing as a test of state name recognition versus budding national rock star. I was wrong: Per a Quinnipiac poll taken three weeks ago, Booker led Lautenberg by 20 points. Evidently he’s done enough Sunday shows and received enough good press for his acts of heroism to neutralize the incumbent’s recognition edge; meanwhile, 71 percent of Jersey voters said Lautenberg’s age makes Senate work too difficult. If you’re 89, facing an uphill battle for reelection, and disinclined to end a long career with a humiliating loss, retirement is the graceful way out.

Booker’s still looking at a primary fight from Rep. Frank Pallone, but given his national potential I assume the party will be firmly behind him. Their bench is thin on young stars; they need him in Washington, frankly. Oh, and as for Geraldo, 48 percent of Jersey Republicans say they’re unlikely to vote for him versus 44 percent who say the opposite. Among the wider electorate, 51 percent say they won’t consider voting for him at all. Alas, my friends, I fear the next New Jersey Senate vote for amnesty will be cast by a Democrat.

Comments

Well, ain’t that just a chair in the face?!

*spit*

Christien on February 14, 2013 at 4:06 PM

2020, seriously? The last time a Clinton willingly released power, a certain blue dress got the presidential stain. 2024 – you heard it here first.

Archivarix on February 14, 2013 at 4:07 PM

==========================

Interesting…………….

canopfor on February 14, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Someone’s going to accuse AP of having Rubio on the brain when he meant Christie.

Marcus on February 14, 2013 at 4:12 PM

2020 Rubio vs. Booker showdown.

So whoever won 2016 dies before 2020?

Flapjackmaka on February 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if a northeastern state elected Fidel Castro to the Senate. Geraldo must look like Mark Levin to those lefties.

cajunpatriot on February 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM

If Menendez has to resign, either Booer or Pallone will switch to that seat. So they won’t even have a devisive primary

BuzzCrutcher on February 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Repent. The end is near.

Philly on February 14, 2013 at 4:15 PM

So whoever won 2016 dies before 2020?

No chance of Rubio winning in 2016?

Allahpundit on February 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

44% of New Jersey Republicans would vote for Geraldo????? WTF.

It seems NJ Republicans would be liberal Democrats if they were in TX. I mean Chris freaking Christie passes for a “conservative” up there. Might as well sell New Jersey and the rest of the Northeast to Russia and be done with them. Northeasterns’ would be much more at home in Russia, and they can take Osama with them.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

No chance of Rubio winning in 2016?

Allahpundit on February 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Nope.

Liberal Media has already decided the election.

Rubio drank H20 while Hillary doesn’t care about the 4 Americans that died at Benghazi, so Hillary wins.

sentinelrules on February 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM

So the Dems will elect just as many black Senators in 2014 as the GOP will. Good for you, Democrat Party.

Doughboy on February 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM

So whoever won 2016 dies before 2020?

[Flapjackmaka on February 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM]

Hillary has a lot of health problems and she’ll be 73 by then. :-)

Dusty on February 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

No chance of Rubio winning in 2016?

Allahpundit on February 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I don’t know. He drank water during a speech. You just don’t do that.

Doughboy on February 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

With a little spit-polish, Geraldo just might vault into high office.

Christien on February 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

and she’ll be 73 by then. :-)

Dusty on February 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

But, isn’t she in talks with Pelosi’s plastic surgeon?

Fallon on February 14, 2013 at 4:25 PM

So whoever won 2016 dies before 2020?

Flapjackmaka on February 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM

No, I think that AP is going with the Savior winning in 2016. Which I actually think there is a good chance of happening based on historical trends.

Illinidiva on February 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

OT: The White House just sent a letter to Congress admitting that Obama made no phone calls on the night of the Benghazi attack.

Doughboy on February 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

44% of New Jersey Republicans would vote for Geraldo????? WTF.

Well if christie who is suppose to be a r gets behind the ‘spitter’ another r? he says no one knows what might happen? Afterall, christie is the best thing since bho has come along with some people?
L

letget on February 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Many retired sports figures live in the NJ suburbs. They are probably all republicans…would be great if one could be recruited. Senator Phil Simms anyone???

monalisa on February 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Afterall, christie is the best biggest thing since bho has come along with some people?

letget on February 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Archivarix on February 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I

don’t know. He drank water during a speech. You just don’t do that.

Doughboy on February 14, 2013 at 4:23 PM

*sigh* Yeah. Too bad he didn’t take a dump on a cop car. That could’ve helped him…..

SailorMark on February 14, 2013 at 4:32 PM

No chance of Rubio winning in 2016?

Allahpundit on February 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Latest Leftwing screed about Rubio is “but he’s CUBAN!”

I heard the petulent, irrational nut, Lesley Marshall, on FOX last night making that assertion, in exasperated shrill, like, “don’t you on the RIght get ANYthing?”.

Marshall asserted, bordering on her usual hysteria, that Rubio “is CUBAN” so therefore, as Marshall implied, he’s poison to Hispanics. Because Hispanics don’t like “CUBANS,” per Marshall, Leftwing big talker.

By next week, we’ll hear that Rubio breathes air and stands upright so there’s that; Left is freaking out about Rubio, needless to say…

Lourdes on February 14, 2013 at 4:33 PM

If Geraldo Rivera is what it takes to get a win for a supposedly GOP candidate in the Northeast, do we really WANT to do that? I mean, Geraldo is to the GOP what a drink of water is to the Left.

Lourdes on February 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Geraldo as a Senator?!?!? The USA really is in its twilight…Geraldo, empty vault to go along with his empty skull! We’re dooooomed!

Liberty or Death on February 14, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Bmore on February 14, 2013 at 4:35 PM

monalisa on February 14, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Jon Runyan actually made it into a fine House Rep. New Jersey could do much, much worse than him. Carl Lewis, on the other hand, I could gladly do without.

Archivarix on February 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Doughboy on February 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

To make it righteous, they must also list specifically what Obama did do for the next 24hrs after he had his 5pm briefing…maybe then America will care.

hillsoftx on February 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

sentinelrules on February 14, 2013 at 4:19 PM

2016 primaries:

GOP: Perry/Jindal/Paul/Rubio/Ryan/Christie/Martinez/Trump

Dem: Hillary/Biden/Cuomo/Christie/??

Jindal for tha win!

can_con on February 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

So whoever won 2016 dies before 2020?

Flapjackmaka on February 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Illinidiva on February 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

O.K., I don’t get the point there. Would someone explain it to me like I’m a five-year-old — it’s OK to use big words. :)

I just don’t get the point being implied there…

Lourdes on February 14, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Doughboy on February 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Sshhhhh!! The important story of the week is Rubio H2O!

can_con on February 14, 2013 at 4:38 PM

And about the social conditions in NJ…

Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston were regarded as heroes, social and cultural icons, and they lived in a self-destructed structure become a crack house.

Every time I read that Houston’s some icon, etc., I mean, THAT’S the level of achievement they admire.

::shakes head::

Lourdes on February 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

hillsoftx on February 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Uh, we already know. He hopped on a plane to Vegas for a fundraiser. And this was known BEFORE the election and made no difference to 51% of the electorate.

Doughboy on February 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Seriously, though, sounds like we’re right on track for the big 2020 2016 Rubio vs. Booker showdown.

FIFY, AP.

As it is written, so shall it be…

Bruno Strozek on February 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Doughboy on February 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Linky.

hillsoftx on February 14, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Jindal for tha win!

can_con on February 14, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Jindal would probably be the frontrunner if Rubio was still a little known state legislator. Did he endorse Rubio in the FL Senate race early on ala DeMint and Ryan? If so, do you think that he regrets that?

Illinidiva on February 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

No chance of Rubio winning in 2016?

Allahpundit on February 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I thought you said Rubio was going to skip on 2016. I’m probably thinking of someone else.

Flapjackmaka on February 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Senator Spitty

Buttercup on February 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM

And we wonder why this country is going to hell faster and faster.If you people in N.J. elect Gerald Rivers as your senator.Then may a deranged yak leave a love deposit in your house.

logman1 on February 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Hell, the campaign ads for this one will write themselves…

…Voters of New Jersey, did you know that Jerry Rivers
STOLE Al Capone’s vault!!???

ToddPA on February 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Geraldo should start off his campaign by saying he’s never
been to the Dominican Republic looking for underage girls.

ToddPA on February 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Flapjackmaka on February 14, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Cory Booker isn’t running in 2016. It would be too openly crass for him so it has to be the Savior winning that AP was implying. Which considering how much traffic Savior posts bring to the blog.. I’m sure that AP is for this.

Illinidiva on February 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Illinidiva on February 14, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I’m not sure if he did. I was glad he endorsed Perry but I think it is time for him to take a stab at it himself.

Ideally I would hope that Rubio takes over from McConnel and uses his speakership experience there to help undo the last (by then) eight years damage. Let a governor govern.

can_con on February 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Cory Booker isn’t running in 2016.

I know that is why I was confused in my frst post. I thought I remembered AP said he doesnt think Rubio will run in 16.

Flapjackmaka on February 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

“Michelle Malkin is the most vile, hateful commentator I’ve ever met in my life,” he says. “She actually believes that neighbors should start snitching out neighbors, and we should be deporting people.

“It’s good she’s in D.C. and I’m in New York,” Rivera sneers. “I’d spit on her if I saw her.”

- Geraldo Rivera a.k.a Jerry Rivers

Geraldo is a vile hateful disgusting pig. He’s an exploitative pandering phony and a bigot.
I change the channel every time he’s on. No idea why Fox gives him airtime to feign relevance.

Buttercup on February 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Geraldo should start off his campaign by saying he’s never been to the Dominican Republic looking for underage girls.

ToddPA on February 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM

But didn’t Gerald Rivers marry one? Or one who he managed to just-scrape-past-legal age?

Lourdes on February 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM

– Geraldo Rivera a.k.a Jerry Rivers

Buttercup on February 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

What “Buttercup” wrote there.

Seriously, has the GOP lost it’s mind that they’d even consider a Gerald Rivers run? I can’t believe there are other pigs like him who’d so much as take this idea seriously for a moment.

Lourdes on February 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

ToddPA on February 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Lourdes on February 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Howdy Lourdes.

Yeeah, I forgot the sarc tag, my bad.

I can’t stand the guy….he’s a shill for Illegals.
How the hell ANY Republican in NJ would consider
voting for this cretin is beyond me.

ToddPA on February 14, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Cory Booker isn’t running in 2016. It would be too openly crass…

Illinidiva on February 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Illinidiva- I have appreciated your spot on posts over the years, but you gift for divining the Deep Cynicism of the Donks seems to have deserted you on this one.

If holding onto to The Big Chair means passing the Ring of Power to another good lookin’, he-can-be-whaterver-you-want-him-to-be Black rookie Liberal from a corrupt Blue state, then it will happen.

Gotta get back in the groove – you can’t be cynical enough.

Bruno Strozek on February 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

So the New Jersey folks will just replace one idiot with another.

GarandFan on February 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Apparently New Jersey wants MN to feel better about having Franken as a Senator.

abnormal_1 on February 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Gotta get back in the groove – you can’t be cynical enough.

Bruno Strozek on February 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I’m cynical about politicians in general and willing to mock them; the Savior and my celebrity crush included. :) My theory on 2016 is that there is a dirty deal between Obama and Clinton. I think that this is why Biden was put on the ticket rather than someone like Evan Bayh. Clinton was given SOS so that she could rehab her image and essentially play First Lady for four years (again). (She had no foreign policy creds in 2008). I think that some trends in the election, such as the theory of two terms and economic cycles as well as the Savior’s political gifts are going to be able to overcome that.

Illinidiva on February 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Illinidiva on February 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I accept the cynicism of your theory; I’ll give it an 8 on the Bishop Scale…

Bruno Strozek on February 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Booker will easily succeed Lautenberg. The question is who will succeed NJ’s corruptocratic pedophile senator Menendez. I’m betting on a longshot: Randal Pinkett.

DarkKnight3565 on February 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Coming up on 10 years to the day: Geraldo booted after revealing 101st Airborne movements. Yeah, probably not the guy for the job.

Christien on February 14, 2013 at 5:51 PM

It will be nice to have Lautenberg gone. He has a lot of pet issues that are anti-business

phillypolitics on February 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM

2020 Rubio vs. Booker showdown.

So whoever won 2016 dies before 2020?

Booker is too ambitious…this guy is running in 4 years. Remember O only served a couple of years…or perhaps Hillary Blue Dress picks him as VP….some how Booker will be on 2016 ticket

Redford on February 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Real name Jerry Rivers but wanted to become a minority to get a job.

mixplix on February 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Good Fellas

DevilsPrinciple on February 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

So whoever won 2016 dies before 2020?
Flapjackmaka on February 14, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Illinidiva on February 14, 2013 at 4:26 PM

That would be a stretch unless a portion of the low-info voter crowd the permanently brainwashed Socialist heathen crowd dared to read anything written by Milton Friedman within the next four years.

Myron Falwell on February 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

- Geraldo Rivera a.k.a Jerry Rivers

Buttercup on February 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I am willing to go out on a limb and say that Geraldo won’t run. He’s only doing this to get attention for himself.

About a year ago, he signed a contract with Cumulus Radio to host a daily three-hour show. Like heck Cumulus is going to let him up and leave that deal, especially after they dumped Glenn Beck on many of their talk radio stations to clear his show.

Self-promotion at its worst. But it’s coming from a guy who has excelled in ‘self promotion at its worst’ quite well over the past four decades.

Myron Falwell on February 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Buttercup on February 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Yes & that’s why Jerry Rivers will receive the full backing of Karl Rove’s new organization

SheVee on February 14, 2013 at 11:03 PM

At least we know for sure where Geraldo stance is on illegal immigration.

TimBuk3 on February 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM