The laundry list event

posted at 8:01 am on February 13, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Last night, I had to attend a board meeting, a commitment that one would normally try to avoid.  Instead, I celebrated the fact, because it allowed me to miss the live presentation of the State of the Union speech.  Rather than watch it live or even on YouTube, I read the speech later from the transcript of its delivered version.  Barack Obama’s address reminded me once again why the SOTU address is the most overrated and overblown event in politics outside of Ames, Iowa.

That’s not because Obama “present[ed] a powerful progressive agenda,” as David Corn wrote last night for Mother Jones.  He certainly did that, but he’s done that every year he’s been in office.  It would have been news if Obama hadn’t pushed his “unambiguous progressive agenda,” and had instead opted for supply-side economics and promises of reducing regulation and the size of federal government.  That would have been the speech from a President Mitt Romney, and it would have been every bit as unsurprising, and likely would have suffered from the same problems that afflict all SOTU speeches.

No, the problem with this and nearly every SOTU is that it reads like Congress is Santa Claus, the President is the greedy kid, and all the rest of us are the elves in the workshop.  Almost without exception for every President in memory, the SOTU is a dressed-up version of a campaign platform filled with “I wants” and “you’d better bring mes,”  interrupted only by mindless applause and standing ovations for the most mundane of rhetoric.  That didn’t start with Obama (we should only have been so lucky!) and it won’t end with him either.  The result is a themeless, pointless, and unmemorable ramble through the arcane fighting points of the day, and no coherence whatsoever other than “gimme.”

My good friend Jon Henke said yesterday on Twitter that instead of calling this this State of the Union (SOTU), we should call it the Condition of My Agenda — COMA.

This Hobby Horse Parade led to some rather humorous incongruities and flat-out falsehoods, which I’ll address in another post.  One incongruity deserves special mention, however.  One of the headline takeaways from the speech was Obama’s demand that Congress raise the minimum wage to $9 an hour and then index it to CPI going forward.  The last time we did this, it hammered employment for young workers, an outcome lost in the Great Recession that hit shortly afterward.  In the very next breath, Obama talks about how jobs are disappearing and “young adults are still fighting for their first job.”  Yes, when government intervenes to make entry-level jobs more costly, that’s what happens, and yet the SOTU construct stuck those two points in succession without Obama even bothering to connect those dots.

That’s what we get from a laundry list.  It reminds us of the wisdom of Thomas Jefferson, who eschewed a live speech to Congress in favor of a written report on the actual status of the US and its federal government.  In the age of television, we won’t get that kind of wisdom any longer, not with all of the pomp and circumstance offered a President in this event.  But we can still appreciate that wisdom today, and lament its passing.

Comments

Déjà vu

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 8:03 AM

“It deserves a vote”

The new Obama phase..

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM

A big thank you to all HA crew who actually watched it live
_

Mika loved the minimum wage increase natch

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Mika loved the minimum wage increase natch

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM

I am sure the millions that are unemployed are cheering today..

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

The man is either not to bright, a charlatan or a pathological liar, in any case he simply doesn’t have a clue. He’s lost in a thick fog without a compass or a map.

rplat on February 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

A big thank you to all HA crew who actually watched it live
_

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Yes thank you. I can’t watch that man anymore. Just the site of him on TV makes me want to wretch.

gophergirl on February 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

rplat on February 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

I’ll take doors two and three.

SagebrushPuppet on February 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Instead, I celebrated the fact, because it allowed me to miss the live presentation of the State of the Union speech. Rather than watch it live or even on YouTube, I read the speech later from the transcript of its delivered version.

I missed it without anything else to do. I’ve heard more than enough from the Ineligible Indonesian Imbecile. I didn’t even bother reading the open thread for it or anything else, since Barky always says pretty much the same stupid things every time. If you’ve heard one Barky speech you’ve heard them all.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM

SS/DSOTU!

pilamaye on February 13, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I didn’t watch Obama’s speech last night. My doctor recommended that I skip his speeches because of my blood pressure.

But I wake up today and find out the biggest news of the night was that Marco Rubio took a drink of water during his response to the SOTU. Sheesh. It just never ends.

TarheelBen on February 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM

They didn’t connect the dots on minimum wage because that’s not what they believe.

They believe more money to the lower classes will increase demand and therefore lead to a hiring boom.

p0s3r on February 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I read the transcript. Okay, I skimmed through some portions as the nausea wasn’t worth the added information of reading every word of his program statist wish list.

That man knows and has learned nothing of real world economics–to the severe detriment of our Republic.

Kevin K. on February 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM

rplat on February 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

He’s a lazy political diletante who wants to make the United States into a copy of the European Socialist entitlement society. He’s takes two months off, is overpaid, and does absolutely nothing- why shouldn’t the worthless parasites who support the bastard get the same benefits? He is a filthy corrupt rat-eared bastard. His fall will be spectacular and enjoyable to watch.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 8:12 AM

EG.. oh yeah

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM

The man is either not too bright, a charlatan or a pathological liar, in any case he simply doesn’t have a clue. He’s lost in a thick fog without a compass or a map.

rplat on February 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Barky’s an 84 IQ brain-dead idiot with a chip on his shoulder the size of the Third World. He’s also a pathological liar, but not a very good one. He tells the dumbest, most offensive, most transparent lies. He just hides behind his thin skin and is lucky that the GOP and others in power are too scared to treat him like a normal human, which would have seen him impeached long ago and donning an orange jumpsuit at this moment – not to mention having long been a laughing stock whose idiocy is so serious and profound that history will record the depths to which civilization has sunk in allowing this brain dead idiot so much power to carry out his delusional Third-World revenge fantasy – revenge against the US and Americans for our shaming and humiliating his people in the Third World with our intelligence, creativity, power, success and freedoms.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I fell asleep 5 minutes in. Or passed out, depending on how you look at it.

wolly4321 on February 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

p0s3r on February 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Yeah, because dumping fries into hot oil clearly requires $9/hour skills. Not so much the dumping part but knowing to take the fries out of the oil when the buzzer goes off and throwing salt on them.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I fell asleep 5 minutes in. Or passed out, depending on how you look at it.

wolly4321 on February 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I’d call it a blessed reprieve.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Ha! That’s the same reason I went to the movies last night!

KS Rex on February 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM

TarheelBen on February 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Yeah. That ruined Rubio’s response. But did anyone read Rand Paul’s response to the SOTU? I am no Paulbot but I have to say I was impressed.

Outlander on February 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

If $9.00 an hour is good, why not make it $10? Or $12? Wouldn’t that be better? Why is Obama skimping here? It’s not like the government has to pay for an increase in the mandated minimum wage.

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM

All of this is irrelevant..

Nancy told us that Unemployment checks is the best way to stimulate…

It deserves a vote.

But..

At this point..
What difference does it make..

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM

TarheelBen on February 13, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Two points.

First, it shows you just how meaningful this political theater is that nobody (other than the propaganda outlets) are talking about the rat-eared wonder’s bold visionary leadership.

Secondly, is it too early to refer to Rubio’s “gaffe” as Watergate II? I suppose the idiots would rather have had Rubio cough his way through the response.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Liam
Morning joe showed a map of minimum per state CA and IL are already @$9 ans Washington state is at $10……

This is the new squirrel me thinks

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Yeah, the government can just feign surprise when it costs close to $100 bucks to take a family of four out for fast food. Of course given the Mooch’s constant screeching about food (not that she appears to miss any meals or shy away from a mega-caloric diet), maybe the intent is to price the American public out of restaurants completely.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Man when i first started working i was making $3.15/hr….thought i was as rich as Rockefeller

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM

His SOTU addresses could be the next big diet program.I lost my appetite just thinking about watching it.Now if they could televise one every day…….

docflash on February 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Two points.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I suppose the left will talk about any distraction to avoid the substance of Rubio’s remarks.

TarheelBen on February 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Did Obama mention Chris Kyle, the greatest sniper in U.S. history – a highly decorated American vet, during his speech last night? If so, I must have missed it. I also must have missed the lowering of American flags, especially at the White House, to honor his passing recently. I mean, Obama made sure the flags were lowered for Whitney Houston after she died of a drug overdose, so surely he would do so for an American hero/highly decorated military vet, right…..right?!

easyt65 on February 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Under Reagan, I saw in a McDonalds a ‘now-hiring’ sign offer high-schoolers $6.00 an hour for after-school shifts. The minimum wage back then was about $4.00. There was so much prosperity, and so much business, that the place was willing to pay top dollar. All that, and the prices for food weren’t inflated to make up any differences in expenses.

Too bad the joker-in-chief and his party can’t figure out reality as it is, not as they want it to be.

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I was busy getting my kid to bed, so I gladly missed the SOTU. Besides, if you’ve seen one Obama SOTU, you’ve seen them all(literally). As for the Rubio water incident, if that’s really what the left is fixated on this morning, fine. I just hope that any Republican or conservative who appears on their shows calls them out for the idiots they are directly to their faces.

Doughboy on February 13, 2013 at 8:36 AM

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM

$4.25 here. Yep the days with no bills and you could spend your money on whatever you wanted.

gophergirl on February 13, 2013 at 8:37 AM

docflash on February 13, 2013 at 8:31 AM

His first year in office, recall that Obama showed up on TV virtually every day. Right around noon. And it was truly nauseating. Nobody wanted to eat lunch during those times.

Bitter Clinger on February 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM

And the idiots who voted (twice) for Obama have no clue that ten years ago the dollar could buy more of whatever you needed…and today, that same dollar will buy you a whole lot less.

Why?

Obama. Progressives. Idiots.

Period.

Talking about raising the minimum wage…why?

Why not stop spending like a fool, and stop printing dollars faster than Obama can spend them.

That’d do a lot more to regain the purchasing power of a dollar than any sort of “stimulus” proposed by Obama or Congress.

A solid and strong dollar will do more to “help the poor” than more and more government handouts. That War on Poverty has been going on for what, fifty years now? Seems, thanks to government, we’ve lost that war.

Time to pull out and bring the “troops” (government bureaucrats, HHS/Labor/HUD/ other worthless government “anti-poverty” agencies? Would cut down on the number of government employees with golden pensions (on our dime) along the way, reduce the deficit in a grand way, too.

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM

I’d much prefer a President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho any day than the present twit occupying the White House.

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:28 AM

$3.15/hr?

You were lucky!

We used to have to get up at 6 a.m.

Eat a crust of stale bread.

Go to work down the mill, 28 hours a day for 10 cents every six years, and when we got home, our dad would murder us in cold blood, each night, and dance about on our graves singing “Halleujah”!

chumpThreads on February 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM

But Ed, . . . by missing it live you miss the breathtakingly tedious hucksterism of its liveliness. or something.

dissent555 on February 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM

rplat on February 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

heh. they told me that Barack Obama could be all things to all people.

and they were right!

dissent555 on February 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Hasn’t it been quite clear since ’08 that Obama is a leadership amateur? The man has no experience in the business world and has no clue about how to manage any of the critical pieces of government. All we get to here are platitudes and philosophies. There are not actionable ideas the man has ever presented to address anything effectively. All he relies on are the ideas and commotions of his liberal base. Obama has never presented an idea or effective budget to address the debt and ongoing deficits which are the most serious threat we have to our freedom. And yet the liberal clown circus keeps beating its drums and the followers are mindlessly following along like nothing is wrong in the world. Their thinking seems to be just follow Obama’s whims and we will enjoy economic prosperity and world peace. None of which are grounded in reality.

rsherwd65 on February 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Chump

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

I didn’t watch the SOTU either. However, I’ve read the transcript as delivered by the White House, and what I believe is the transcript from the actual speech at foxnews.com. Nowhere is Amb. Chris Stevens mentioned, nor any of the other Americans killed as a result of Obama’s and Clinton’s criminal negligence. The fact that they weren’t mentioned is outrageous, but I think I’ve only seen one other mention of it (I think at Breitbart). While the Democrat media will make sure to try to scrub everything about the 9/11/2012 terrorist attack in Benghazi, conservatives really have to push this to the hilt, to show Obama for what he is, an uncaring liar.

Steve Tsouloufis on February 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM

A friend sent me this…

To me, best tweet of the night from #SOTU:

Rubio: drinking water. Obama: treading water. MSM: carrying water. Americans: underwater

CoffeeLover on February 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Cannot stand to watch/listen to Obama anymore so I watched basketball.
Michigan State tearing Michigan a new one was outstanding college BBall.

mdavt on February 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Does the President believe if he repeats himself enough, in multiple venues, with his sycophant lunch-partners the media parroting his laundry list that it represents a new, wise direction? Perhaps that things will change if we just try harder?

We’ve seen this movie several times before last night. The country is $5 trillion in debt since the beginning of Mr. Obama’s presidency. Our entitlement programs are going broke. Our collective taxes are higher. Most of us are much poorer. The cost of our health care is not only higher, but the quality is lower. We are less safe- just ask the families of our countrymen murdered in Benghazi.

The president has not submitted a budget which has passed during his entire presidency. Yet we are to believe he is either focused on fiscal matters or possesses some unappreciated wisdom to solve out ills?

Not likely as Mr. Obama still blames everyone else for his own laziness and contra-intellectual approach. We are worse off because of his actions or the lack thereof. Last nights speech simply shows us that nothing much will change until he is either gone or accepts that what he has done and continues to propose has failed and failed miserably.

Marcus Traianus on February 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I switched to it from Doomsday Preppers last night during commercials. And while that was a disaster of a show — it’s on a death knell — it was better than Dear Liar’s speech. He’s gone from college freshman to high school freshman.

rbj on February 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM

By the way, a majority of this countries voters have been suckers for “good speeches” over the last five years. I am a little confused how sonorous oratorical pitches devoid of substance has made life better for us all?

I don’t care if Mr. Rubio was juggling balls and riding a tricycle. It is what he said that interests me. That is because his ideas are wise, grounded in truth and factually verifiable.

We need a new direction. Because where we are headed at the moment is towards disaster.

Marcus Traianus on February 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I haven’t watched a SOTU since Clinton’s first term. Completely worthless – as the responses are as well.

I heard about Rubios dry mouth.

His speech was too long from what I gathered.

It should have simply been this -

“It is amazing in this day, as we face a budget crisis, the worsening of our debt position, and massive unemployment and underemployment reminiscent of the great depression what we hear from our President is a laundry list of programs and bribes of the American public.

Put simply, nothing President Obama said will help. Raising the minimum wage will result in increased youth unemployment, espcecially for minority youth groups, just like the last time the feds did this and the litany of programs and regulations he listed will continue to strangle and choke the job opportunities for our children and grand children whether entering the job market from HS or college – where half of our graduates cannot find full time work.

The media will applaud these grand visionary programs while the foundations of this country burn, and continually fail to notice that the emperor has no clothes. They have abrogated their duty to the country. Their continued failures is beginning to finally impact their viability as contniuing organizations. Listen to anything they say about anyone in Washington with suspicion. They are nothing special and are pursuing their own interests without regard to yours. You should remember that tomorrow morning as you read the paper and when the talking heads reflect upon what everyone has said tonight.

In closing – our politicians throw us bread and cake in the hope we will fail to see their gross mismanagement of this great land and the raping of her bounty for their own personal gain.

The President’s speech was a huge disappointment, utterly irresponsible, and guarentees our continuing slide into despair. You do not need any additional time from me to state the obvious and what in your heart you know to be true. May God show his mercy on us all, we are a lost and broken nation, on the road to nowhere.”

Something like that.

Zomcon JEM on February 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Zomcon JEM on February 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM

+1000

Wish we had real leaders with real stones who never shied away from elemental truths.

But, instead we have politicians…

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

CoffeeLover on February 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM

The recap in the Washington Examiner this morning is headlined-

Marco Rubio is hydrated. Chris Dorner is dead.

Essentially pointing out that the rat-eared one’s big moment was playing opposite the events in Big Bear. And that Marco Rubio’s message was lost by drinking water. The conclusion, it doesn’t really matter because neither the SOTU or the GOP response were being watched by all that many people. Personally, you’d have to pay a heck of a lot more than $9/hour to endure watching that filthy bastard pretend that he is anything but a Muslim-loving commie.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM

But, instead we have politicians…

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

We do have real leaders. They are in every community in America. They are not in Congress and that is the problem. Instead we have a political class more concerned with elections, fundraising, and getting along with each other than with doing the business they were hired to do.

There will be a lot of finger pointing as sequestration hits, particularly inside the Beltway. The fact of the matter is that in 2011 they all voted for this “doomsday” scenerio because the consequences would be so dire that surely Congress wouldn’t let it happen. Well, the Dems saw it as a way of pressuring the GOP to raise taxes by making defense cuts the biggest ticket. The GOP saw it as a way of forcing entitlement program cuts. Neither side backed down except that they all voted to raise taxes last month.

This is not the way government should work.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM

And if Rubio had said something like I said it would have cut through everything. If for nothing more than its brevity.

Zomcon JEM on February 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Miway or the Hiway.

The anti-choice presidency.

And he really really really needs to get a clue, Reagan did fix this.

Speakup on February 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Didn’t watch. Change the channel when I see his face. Change the channel when I hear his voice. Have even stopped watching Sports Center on ESPN because those Connecticut libtards can’t seem to make it through one episode without mentioning Obama. My head is spinning watching so many people idolize and praise this clown, a two bit hustler destroying our country with a smirk on his face.

fogw on February 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Obama’s demand that Congress raise the minimum wage to $9 an hour and then index it to CPI going forward. The last time we did this, it hammered employment for young workers, an outcome lost in the Great Recession that hit shortly afterward. In the very next breath, Obama talks about how jobs are disappearing and “young adults are still fighting for their first job.”

This struck me too. It reminded me of some wag who proposed a cabinet-level position to head the new “Department of Fabulous Salaries”.

Paul-Cincy on February 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

His fall will be spectacular and enjoyable to watch.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Oh, this is my ongoing wish! Sometimes I slip into ODS.

By the way, every time I see the beginning of the phrase “rat-eared bastard”, I look to make sure it’s you commenting. Usually, it is…then I smile.

freedomfirst on February 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM

“It deserves a vote”

The new Obama phase..

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM

“It deserves a vote!”

“Then, if the vote doesn’t happen, or doesn’t go my way, it deserves to be deemed as having been voted!”

“Then, if it still isn’t voted, it deserves to be executive ordered!”

“And, if miraculously, it’s not EO’d, it deserves to be imposed via the judicial process!”

And you know, we roll our eyes in frustration that progressives look down their nose at anyone who doesn’t take their word as gospel and their philosophy as the inevitable natural order of existence, but on the other hand, the result is a rather dogged determination that has gotten him almost everything he’s wanted so far.

The Schaef on February 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Actually, one might argue that Barky and his Dem colleagues are doing a fine job in the war against poor people. They are swelling their ranks, beating them down, and trapping them in a cycle of dependency. To top it off, many of these victims vote for these pols and ask for more.

freedomfirst on February 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM

freedomfirst on February 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Without “poor” people, the Progressives have nothing.

Thus, to win big, they need a lot more “poor.”

Worked well in 2008…and in 2012…so why not grow the ranks of the “poor” to such astronomical levels that Progressives easily win every election from this day forward?

Add to that amnesty and a “pathway” to citizenship for illegals…

One party rule is but an election or so away in America.

Unless a majority of Americans come to their senses before there are no more “Americans.”

[There is an old classic out there, "Poor People's Movements: Why they succeed, How they fail." by Piven and Cloward.

ALL Conservatives and anyone with skin in this game called America should get a copy and read it carefully.

Understanding the rationale of the enemy is vital.]

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I understand this and agree. It’s easier to attract votes/fellow travelers by offering to give them something than by asking them to be rational and restrained (and free).

freedomfirst on February 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM

coldwarrior, you’ve inspired me to read Piven & Cloward.

freedomfirst on February 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM

We’ll bring down costs by changing the way our government pays for Medicare, because our medical bills shouldn’t be based on the number of tests ordered or days spent in the hospital. They should be based on the quality of care that our seniors receive.

Yeah, that’s brilliant. Payments shouldn’t be based on costs. Describes Oabamanomics in a nutshell. Meaningless platitudes unconnected to the real world.

What the government pays for health care should be almost entirely determined by what it cost to provide healthcare. The only exceptions should be for when that healthcare was obviously wrong or misdiagnosed.

tom on February 13, 2013 at 10:59 PM