Rubio offers philosophical rebuttal

posted at 8:41 am on February 13, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

As I wrote earlier, I’m no fan of State of the Union speeches. I’m usually no fan of the opposition-party responses, either, for a variety of reasons. First, they suffer in comparison to the pomp offered the President and can’t avoid seeming anti-climactic. The only person who ever really got that was Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell, who arranged to give his response in 2010 in the Virginia legislature, with his fellow Republicans offering applause in a venue that at least approximated that enjoyed by Barack Obama.

However, at least rhetorically, Marco Rubio took the correct path in responding to the usual SOTU laundry-list speech.  In his rebuttal, Rubio stayed away from offering the Republican legislative agenda, and instead stuck to the Republican and conservative philosophies of governing and economics.  Rather than try to compete with Santa Claus, Rubio explained that, in the words of Robert Heinlein, there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch:

This opportunity — to make it to the middle class or beyond no matter where you start out in life — it isn’t bestowed on us from Washington. It comes from a vibrant free economy where people can risk their own money to open a business, and when they succeed, they hire more people, who in turn invest or spend the money they make, helping others start a business and create jobs.

Presidents in both parties — from John F. Kennedy to Ronald Reagan — have known that our free-enterprise economy is the source of our middle-class prosperity.

But President Obama, he believes it’s the cause of our problems, that the economic downturn happened because our government didn’t tax enough, spend enough, or control enough. And, therefore, as you heard tonight, his solution to virtually every problem we face is for Washington to tax more, borrow more, and spend more. This idea — that our problems were caused by a government that was too small — it’s just not true. In fact, a major cause of our recent downturn was a housing crisis created by reckless government policies.

And the idea that more taxes and more government spending is the best way to help hardworking middle-class taxpayers, that’s an old idea that’s failed every time it’s been tried.

More government isn’t going to help you get ahead; it’s going to hold you back. More government isn’t going to create more opportunities; it’s going to limit them. And more government isn’t going to inspire new ideas, new businesses, and new private-sector jobs; it’s going to create uncertainty.

Because more government breeds complicated rules and laws that small businesses can’t afford to follow. Because more government raises taxes on employers who then pass the costs on to their employees through fewer hours, lower pay, and even layoffs. And because many government programs that claim to help the middle class often end up hurting them.

The only agenda item/hobby horse mention from Rubio was not a proposal for another government program.  Rubio proposed yet again a balanced budget amendment to force government to live within its means.  There are risks with this idea, which we’ve covered in depth, but as we continue to see massive annual deficits adding to our rapidly rising national debt, the risks are outweighed by the potential for catastrophe in the future.

Rubio also offered a stinging rebuttal to Obama’s demagoguery:

But his favorite attack of all is that those of us who don’t agree with him, that we only care about rich people. Mr. President, I still live in the same working-class neighborhood I grew up in. My neighbors aren’t millionaires; they’re retirees who depend on Social Security and Medicare. They’re workers who have to get up early tomorrow morning and go to work to pay the bills. They’re immigrants who came here because they were stuck in poverty in the countries where the government dominated the economy.

The tax increases and the deficit spending you propose will hurt middle-class families. It will cost them their raises. It will cost them their benefits. It may even cost some of them their jobs. And it will hurt seniors because it does nothing to save Medicare and Social Security.

So, Mr. President, I don’t oppose your plans because I want to protect the rich. I oppose your plans because I want to protect my neighbors, hard-working middle-class Americans who don’t need us to come up with a plan to grow the government. They need a plan to grow the middle class.

Economic growth is the best way to help the middle class. Unfortunately, our economy actually shrank during the last three months of 2012. But if we can get the economy to grow at just 4 percent a year, it would create middle-class jobs and it would reduce our deficits by almost $4 trillion over the next decade.

Tax increases can’t do this. Raising taxes won’t create private- sector jobs. And there’s no realistic tax increase that could lower our deficits by almost $4 trillion. That’s why I hope the president will abandon his obsession with raising taxes and instead work with us to achieve real growth in our economy.

It was an effective rebuttal, and well delivered.  Instead of trying to outdo Obama on government freebies, Rubio offered a clear explanation of why those promises won’t work, and most of them won’t even be tried.  At the same time, Rubio reset the Republican approach to middle-class economics, a point not lost on Politico’s Jonathan Martin:

The selection of Rubio to speak for his party marked the latest, and perhaps most overt, step in the GOP’s rehabilitation project since Election Day, an effort to repackage its identity without altering its policies.

And at four separate moments in his remarks, Rubio went to great lengths to get the message across: The GOP isn’t the party of rich white guys. …

Later, Rubio returned to the personal, noting that he had to foot his own college bills. “When I finished school, I owed over $100,000 in student loans, a debt I paid off just a few months ago,” he said.

And ,if he hadn’t gotten his point across, Rubio came back to his class identity toward the end of his remarks in a paean to Medicare.

“It provided my father the care he needed to battle cancer and ultimately die with dignity,” said Rubio of government health insurance for the elderly. “And it pays for the care my mother receives now. “

And if you thought you heard a common phrase laced throughout the remarks, you did: “Middle-class” came in for 16 mentions.

Just for the record, Obama’s much-longer speech only had eight mentions of the “middle class.”

Rubio provided himself a good argument for his ascendancy as the public leader of the Republican Party, not just on policy but also on philosophy.  I’d bet that Rubio’s speech gets remembered for its content longer than Obama’s SOTU retread.

That being said, the time to hydrate is before the cameras roll.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Rubio’s Jindal moment?

WordsMatter on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Shorter Rubio:

Hey look, everybody! I’m not Obama!

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Coach? Can we take a water break? It’s hot!

jjnco73 on February 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I heard that 3x as many people in Cali were tuned in to the Dorner situation as they were to SOTU. I don’t know if that’s good or bad or what.

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

That being said, the time to hydrate is before the cameras roll.

Not by the media, Ed. They care more about a bottle of water than anything of substance he had to say. BTW, Rubio took a bunch of swigs from a water bottle(he even joked about it being Clint Eastwood’s) when he introduced Romney at the GOP Convention last year. So dude obviously suffers from drymouth.

Doughboy on February 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

another gop loser!

Pragmatic on February 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I think it’s a sad comment on our country that people are more worried about him taking a drink of water than listening to what he said.

I’m so freaking tired of “optics” over substance I could scream. Optics got us the mess we are in today.

gophergirl on February 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I liked the message, but Ed– well delivered?! No. And I think Rubio would agree.

DrStock on February 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM

This opportunity — to make it to the middle class or beyond[, in America] no matter where [with what citizenship] you start out in life

Rubio’s slime. He hates the Rule of Law so he has no place in a legislature. He hates the idea of national sovereignty so he has no business in the government of a nation-state.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Rubio was dishonest about his immigration position. Talked about enforcement first, but the Gang of 8 plan would legalize everyone immediately with no conditions.

Jon0815 on February 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM

State of the Union rebuttals are never memorable, but between Kenneth the Page in 2009 and last night’s water break, the GOP have learned how to get attention for these things.

Seriously, who’s idea was it to place the water so far away from where Rubio was standing? What did they think would happen?!

YYZ on February 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Tingles review
It was tinker toys

Yes he should have hydrated after the Spanish taping and prior to live

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Thirst for leadership

Heh!!

Bitter Clinger on February 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Yes he should have hydrated after the Spanish taping and prior to live

cmsinaz on February 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I didn’t watch. Did Rubio give a version in the click language, too?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 13, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

At least the Cali situation was REAL.
The SOTU ? Not so much.

Jabberwock on February 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM

gophergirl on February 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I can’t agree with you more. It reeks of hypocrisy when it’s coming from the same people who cry about Obama being such a celebrity phoney.

BettyRuth on February 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Too bad he didn’t offer it ONLY in English.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM

gophergirl on February 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM

We’re dealing with an American left that was obsessed with binders and Big Bird in the last election. They cling to this meaningless crap because they cannot focus on substantive issues.

Doughboy on February 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Maybe Obama will demand a do-over?

Seems that ex-cop Dorner out in Bear Lake ate up a lot more TV time than Obama…most of the TV audience was watching Dorner and not Dum Dum.

Obama hates it when he is not the center of all adulation and attention.

Watching a bit of both, seems that old classic 80′s Talking Heads “Burning Down the House” would be appropriate background music.

Rubio?

Certainly is not part of the solution.

Honestly.

He is not against government as Santa Claus. He is merely trying to be a more efficient Santa Claus.

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

gophergirl on February 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I think it’s a sad commentary that we pay more attention to what politicians say than what they actually do. YMMV.

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Do people on the West Coast EVER watch the State of the Union? Who wants to watch a speech at 6pm?

YYZ on February 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Rubio gets smarmier by the minute – he is hard to watch. Sorry, but Rubio is still for ‘instant amnesty’, even though he carefully avoided that little fact his speech. Rubio came across as insincere and dishonest.

Pork-Chop on February 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Since people are still equating Gov. Jindal’s awkward entrance into a room as a deal breaker for higher office, I assume Sen. Rubio is done also. What a world! When an empty suit can get elected twice and optics outweigh common sense remedies for the country’s problems.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Rand Paul’s SOTU response was as presidential showing true leadership. Rubio’s content was good but delivery was severely lacking. To think that Rubio was the best person the GOP could come up for a SOTU response speaks volumes.

Rand Paul ’16

trs on February 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM

That being said, the time to hydrate is before the cameras roll.

Nah. Don’t believe the hype. Humans tend to get a feeling of dryness in their throats when nervous–as Rubio clearly was–under such a heated spotlight. Last I checked humans are not expected to be flawlessly flawless, unless of course, you’re a Conservative directly rebutting Obama’s failures.

RepubChica on February 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Maybe Obama will demand a do-over?

Obama hates it when he is not the center of all adulation and attention.

Rubio?

Certainly is not part of the solution.

Honestly.

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Yes, the media, this morning, is running with the catch phrase “Smarter Government”. Really?

jjnco73 on February 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM

YEP!

gophergirl on February 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Rubio came across as insincere and dishonest.

Pork-Chop on February 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM

They couldn’t find a Republican who wouldn’t.

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Didn’t watch either speech, as they’re complete wastes of time regardless of who is delivering them. I will say, though, that it’s absolutely mind-boggling to see the same people who cheered Rubio when he took down Crist suddenly decide wait, no, he’s not good enough either. I don’t know who or what some of you or after, but the perfect conservative that says and does every single thing according to your rulebook simply does not exist, and won’t.

changer1701 on February 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM

jjnco73 on February 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Smarter government = less government.

Anyone wanna see if the boys and girls up on the hill will give up power voluntarily in any meaningful way?

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM

changer1701 on February 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I’d just like someone who actually believes the bullshit they peddle about “smaller government” and “the rule of law.” It’s all there in the Republican Party platform.

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM

YYZ on February 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Is there ever a good time to watch it between dinner, homework with the kids, bath time, whatever? Even so the people who were tuned in were watching the Dorner debacle and I suppose that’s good and bad depending on how you want to look at it.

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Rubio did a masterful job. Too many conservatives think that Americans already understand that wealth comes from the private sector.

In fact, Americans are tremendously ignorant about economics, capital formation, wealth generation, and the US budget — which is exactly how Dems continue to get elected. Lies and demagoguery.

If Dems would explain their means and ends with honesty, they would be repudiated with disgust.

What Rubio said needs to be shouted from the rooftops, day after day. The teachers unions and academia will NEVER teach young people how wealth is created.

matthew8787 on February 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I’ll carry over my comment from the last thread;

By the way, a majority of this countries voters have been suckers for “good speeches” over the last five years. I am a little confused how sonorous oratorical pitches devoid of substance has made life better for us all?

I don’t care if Mr. Rubio was juggling balls and riding a tricycle. It is what he said that interests me. That is because his ideas are wise, grounded in truth and factually verifiable.

We need a new direction. Because where we are headed at the moment is towards disaster.

Marcus Traianus on February 13, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Smarter government = less government.

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM

ROFL

Every one of them would band together, arm themselves, snort some coke and go out Tony Montana style. I can’t think of one pol who would volunteer to leave on anything other than a gurney with a blanket over their face.

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM

If I were Rubio, I’d play off the water bottle incident. I’d love to see him take a swig of water before his acceptance speech in three and a half years. (Let’s face it. That is going to happen.)

Illinidiva on February 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM

“When government expands, liberty contracts.”

It’s THAT simple.

Sorry I find Rubio to be uninspiring. His speaking style leaves MUCH to desire. Same with the Laundry list style of Rand Paul.

****btw, Ed have you seen this?

The cardinal who could become the first black pope said Tuesday that the Roman Catholic Church faces grave challenges in remaining relevant in the modern world even as he laid out a conservative vision of how to deal with society’s “alternative lifestyles”.
The African prelate said he had reflected on the enormous personal burden of becoming the leader of the Catholic Church. “It would certainly mean a lot if I had to be a pope,” he said. “If I was elected pope it would signal a lot of [personal] change. Very big change in a lot of regards. I have been an archbishop, which involved a certain amount of leadership and now having to do this on a world level, the dimensions expand almost infinitely.

“It is going to be a life-changing experience and I think that is what it has been for Benedict and those who have gone before us. The challenge will also be with the individual to want to make his mark, not trying to fit into anybody’s shoes but finding his own shoes to wear.”

PappyD61 on February 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM

You guys won’t want to hear it, but Rubio is toast due to the water “gaffe.” The FM morning shows on MIlwaukee radio are all skewering him and it’s becoming the only memorable moment to come out of last night.

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM

ROFL

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Say hello to my little friend!
(as Nancy Pelosi wields her gavel)

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I turned on RINO Joe this morning to hear his response. He was, of course, bashing Rubio. Well that was the last time I watch MSDNC for their version of “balance.”

Decoski on February 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Count me as confused how a water bottle detracts from actual substance. I won’t count on it.

I suppose at some point, the detractors will start to speak about what was said and factual merits. But miracles do happen.

I speak in public all the time. My bottle of Poland Spring is my sine qua non.

Marcus Traianus on February 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Too bad he didn’t offer it ONLY in English.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM

******’n right. A party 100% lily WHITE and keep it that way. We have an image to maintain. GRRrrrr!

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM

For those of you who criticized Marco Rubio’s giving the response also in Spanish, you should see how his video is lighting up the Spanoishb-language message boards this morning. Lights are going on all over the USA – and the world.

JoseQuinones on February 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Spanoishb-language

Jeez. Spanish language.

Must. Drink. Coffee.

JoseQuinones on February 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

But I was told the Prez was “going to throw down the gauntlet”

But all we’ll remember is glug, glug ?

Nice political situation we are in.

Jabberwock on February 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Yeah, because drinking water during a nearly 20 minute address makes one unqualified to speak to the nation on substantive issues.

Doughboy on February 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM

i’d take any amount if weren’t a gentleman.

sesquipedalian on February 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM

JoseQuinones on February 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

A Republican giving a Spanish version can only appeal to those with English as a second language.

And we don’t want them./

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Gumby.. I’m so glad that you’re still employed and able to afford your video games while living in your parents’ basement!! I’m assuming that Axelrod is paying for online trolls through Barry’s new perpetual campaign.

As for Rubio, the fact that the trolls need to diminish him three+ years before the election suggests that he is a huge threat. I wonder what Hillary has on Barry that they’re willing to do her dirty work for her. (My guess is that it has something to do with his fun and games at gay bathhouses. )

Illinidiva on February 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM

i’d take any amount if weren’t a gentleman.

sesquipedalian on February 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I do not believe that you know what that word means.

kingsjester on February 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM

You, sir, are a hyperbolic fanatic on the fringes of even those who lean your direction. My advice POP’s? Take some medication, learn to relax, and let the world be the world. Because its never going to please you.

But by all means, continue your self-flagellation by means of fanatical devotion to the impossible, implausible, and unsupported things you think MUST be done, or else.

Either way, they’re not happening and it’s clear you’ve been close to bursting for a while.

Have a good day! ;)

Genuine on February 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Wow. The Libs from both sides of the aisle are clearly upset.

I’m smiling.

kingsjester on February 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM

JoseQuinones on February 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Good responses I’m assuming?? Glad that it generated nice buzz. It was even worth the water bottle moment. ;)

Illinidiva on February 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

thanks, that would include Obama’s drivel…

hillsoftx on February 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Lights are going on all over the USA – and the world.

JoseQuinones on February 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Yeah, I will bet they are…hurry across the border in time for the freebies.

sharrukin on February 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I flipped over to an AM talk radio station last night while driving home from work, and heard what I thought was a hardware store owner from Spotsylvania giving the post dinner speech at a local Tea Party fundraiser. After several minutes, to my horror, I realized it was Rubio giving the GOP’s SOTU response.

And I didn’t know anything about the water.

Rubio’s Jindal moment? This was worse. Rubio made Jindal sound like Ronald Reagan. Romney at his worst was better than this. Romney at least sounded like he believed what he was saying. Rubio sounded like he was going through the first read-thu for a community theater production of THE BEST MAN.

I was never a Rubio fan, but now I am really not a Rubio fan.

I don’t think the rest of the country thinks much differently. Epic fail.

Mr. Arkadin on February 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I’m smiling.

kingsjester on February 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I think Rubio is over the target. Incoming, incoming LOL

CoffeeLover on February 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Eff you. My grandfather didn’t speak English when he came to this country. Wanna be a citizen? Learn to speak effing English.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Isn’t Milwaukee the new Detroit? But I agree with you that Rubio, and not the President of the United States, was the only memorable moment to come out of last night.

Punchenko on February 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I like Sen. Rubio’s answer to Stephanapolis in the headlines. It’s nice to hear someone reference God and feel like he’s not checking off a box of constituents for pandering.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

only memorable moment to come out of last night.

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Not if we don’t let it.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Rubio has some really weird mouth movements that will turn off most voters if given a choice. If he doesn’t fix it, he will never be in national office. He might not be in florida office if he keeps up his amnesty bs.

So Mr. Rubio, how is giving amnesty to 20-30 million people at a cost of 11-12 trillion dollars going to accomplish your goals? I guess it doesn’t matter when it’s all about race.

aniptofar on February 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM

aniptofar on February 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Seriously? Sen. Rubio’s race is all he has to recommend himself? I give up.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Rubio gave a decent rebuttal. Delivering it Spanish also an out of the box move for the GOP. Despite following the same pattern of both parties in these things where it’s mainly an attempt to make an argument for your political philosophy rather than the actual state of the union, the content was good.

And also, for those decrying the shallowness and lack of importance of the rather ham fisted water lunge criticism I’ve got three words. Michael Dukakis, Tank.

It’s real, it matters, and you all are the first to rejoice when it goes the other way. Don’t pretend NOW that it’s all just soooo foreign, wrong, and shallow to you that anyone would EVER stoop to that level to be concerned with such trifles when REAL things are occurring.

The dude chose a bad moment and didn’t look classy or presidential. He looked like Dukakis in a helmet with his double take, lunge, and insecure sneak a sip.

Them’s just the breaks, kid. Good speech otherwise, for a SOTU rebuttal which are notoriously a set up job of no real consequence but risk for the person delivering it.

Genuine on February 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM

DrStock on February 13, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Well, DS, here is my take : )
BO said nothing of substance last night. Most people will say it was well delivered–despite the dramatic drop to a low whisper here and there. Rubio delivered his fairly decently, but the media are lost in the water moment, and not talking a lot about the substance. His was considerably more substantial than Obama’s speech.

The bottom line—do Americans prefer style over substance? Most, these days, and I agree with gophergirl , prefer optics. Ugh! So sick of the term and how it applies!

herm2416 on February 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Sure, me too. I think a lot of them believe it, but they’re also pols who have to work within the confines of how things are, not as how we would want them.

changer1701 on February 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

While I think it is far too soon to pick someone to rally around for 2016, y’all are going to have to stop shooting our options on sight. Looking presidential my azz. The people elected Obama. TWICE!!!!!

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

kingsjester on February 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

trs on February 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM

TRS, I’m with you. I think Rand’s response was clear, concise and juxtaposed our position with Obama’s very well. That’s the key to a good rebuttal. I can’t get on board with Rubio’s amnesty push. His response wasn’t bad, but Rand made the case.

I was never, ever a Ron Paul guy. But the more Obama turns us into a police state, the more I want to hear a case for liberty and frankly, sanity.

devil dog on February 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

and if Obama had swilled moonshine from a mason jar… you’d still be wanting to drink his bathwater..

so what..

politicians often sip water while speaking, the media just rarely takes note.. and frankly, the FM lefties will hate him just for the crime of being a Hispanic republican.. not permitted by the race pimps in your party of lies.

mark81150 on February 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Illinidiva on February 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I think the GOP is missing out on a killer fundraising scheme if they don’t start placing products in ALL their speeches. They gave it away to Poland Spring last night. They could have a Subway sandwich on the podium along with one of those vats Coke has the American Idol judges display. And, of course, the inevitable ad [insert candidate's name here] you just won the GOP primary what are you going to do before hitting the campaign trail for the general election? Ans: I’m going to Disneyworld!

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Well said Cindy!

(as well)

Rubio is not perfect but which of them is!

CoffeeLover on February 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM

lol good luck with that whole rebranding of the party of gun nuts, voter suppression, legitimate rape and rich people.

never. gonna. happen.

as for Marco ay caramba!!!! it wasnt the drinking water it was the deer-in-headlights hilariousness of it, he’s toast, err burned tortillas

DBear on February 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Philosophical was the problem with Rubio .
I preferred Rand Paul . Concrete ideas always
sound better than platitudes .

Lucano on February 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Oh good Lord! Look what crawled out from under the bridge.

Funny you want to talk about Marco Rubio hydrating but are never around to talk about issues that matter. And, I’d point out that if drinking water on camera almost four years before the Presidential election is what is going to scuttle Rubio’s chances then something is wrong with America because that should be the least of anybody’s concerns in 2016. Howard Dean’s scream was another matter entirely because he did it as his campaign was imploding in the rat primaries.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

uh, referencing god is a pander to religious nutjobs aka typical republicans

DBear on February 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I preferred Rand Paul . Concrete ideas always
sound better than platitudes .

Lucano on February 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Yeah but it was Rand Paul. Sorry I don’t trust him because of his daddy. And for that matter, I’m hoping that we look a little further down the bench than all these first-term Senators whose names are being thrown around as potential candidates in 2016. The rat-eared incumbent shows just how stupid it is to throw somebody into the Presidency without any discernible experience that would qualify them for the job.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I liked the Spanish version of his speech better. Because I don’t speak Spanish, so it didn’t sound like bullsh-t.

portlandon on February 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Benghazi, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody cares about Benghazi.
gumbyandpokey on November 2, 2012 at 1:14 AM

You’re a disgusting piece of filth, pokebutt.

FOAD!

Solaratov on November 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM

The same sentiments apply, pokebutt.

FOAD

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

uh, referencing god is a pander to religious nutjobs aka typical republicans

DBear on February 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

So you’re essentially saying that Democrats are Godless heathens? Couldn’t agree more. You can’t be a good Jew, Christian, or American and support the Democrat Party. Muslims have it made what with Obamacare exceptions and a rat-eared traitor who wants to see the Jews of Israel pushed into the sea as much as they do.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

gumbyandpokey on February 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

mark81150 on February 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I believe it was revealed by G&P in another thread that G&P is a Palin yesterday, Palin today, and Palin tomorrow and only Palin person. Hence the intense Romney hate of days past. And present Rubio hate. G&P doesn’t like Obama. I know it’s hard to tell the difference sometimes……

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I thought he took the bait (as in class-baiting) in explaining how he doesn’t live next to rich people. It’s like the Charlie Daniels lyric from “Uneasy Rider”: “I don’t even have a garage, you can call home and ask my wife”. The baiters are like monkeys who throw their own feces at you and then laugh when you try to duck or especially if you try to clean yourself off.

Halfway through when Rubio’s lips started to stick together I thought, jeez, take a drink of water before you give an important speech! But now I’m falling into the MSM narrative, I guess.

Paul-Cincy on February 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I think it is a difference without distinction. Palin isn’t even in the running for anything. To hate non-Palin Republicans is pretty much giving the rat-eared wonder a blank check. G&P is as much a parasite as Sandra Fluke, Obamaphone lady, or Julia.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

JoseQuinones on February 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

It was a great idea for Senator Rubio to deliver the speech in Spanish, as a way to reach out to Spanish-speaking voters, and Rubio speaks Spanish fluently.

What was your opinion, Jose Quinones, of the Spanish version of Rubio’s speech, and what are the Spanish-language message boards saying about it?

Steve Z on February 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM

DBear on February 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Right, tell it to your guy, who obviously does it only under duress.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Rubio’s speech > Jindal but < Rand Paul!

Pass the TED CRUZ, please !

Rubio did ok. The water moment won't kill any chances for a presidential run but his stand on amnesty will.

Remember Obama's 1st debate against Romney. Talk about choking !

Rand Paul was the best speaker last night – hands down.

stenwin77 on February 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I preferred Rand Paul . Concrete ideas always
sound better than platitudes .

Lucano on February 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Agreed . My point , not well stated , was let’s look at how we can
be more succinct in stating conservative values , and less pleading .

Lucano on February 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM

uh, referencing god is a pander to religious nutjobs aka typical republicans

DBear on February 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

92% of Americans, per Gallup, believe in God.
78% of Americans are Christian.

You’re an idiot.

kingsjester on February 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM

herm2416 on February 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Rubio had more to say of substance than Obama. No argument there. I was just surprised that Ed would consider it “well delivered”. Anyone who has seen him speak in other settings would probably agree that even Rubio was likely mortified by his own delivery.

DrStock on February 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM

changer1701 on February 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

“How things are” is that Obama is destroying America. Are you okay with that on the basis of the fact that we have to “work within the confines…” blah blah blah blah?

If wanting to follow the constitution as its framers intended makes me “unreasonable” or “impractical,” then I plead guilty.

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Benghazi, LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody cares about Benghazi.
gumbyandpokey on November 2, 2012 at 1:14 AM

You’re a disgusting piece of filth, pokebutt.

FOAD!

Solaratov on November 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM

The only reason the GOP cares about Benghazi is because it didn’t matter at all in the election the party of SORE LOSERS lik Mr. Potatato Head behind the president who wouldn’t stand for the 102 y.o. black woman.

DBear on February 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Really guys…

is it necessary to tear him apart for not being a pure enough conservative?… he isn’t running for president, not setting the party agenda.. yet we have here another let’s rip our popular figures apart circular firing squads.

Reagan spoke of smaller government too, but never succeeded in killing any programs..

He had a hostile Congress,.. just once, can we NOT eat our own?

mark81150 on February 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Well, here we go again. The Republicans love to throw their own under the bus. Democrats circle the wagons no matter what. A little bad water moment and Rubio is done. Really? Rubio was obviously nervous. In the image obsessed America we live in, that was regrettable. No one is perfect. I, for one, care more about the substance. The future of my children is on the line. I’m willing to give Rubio another chance.

Cpoy2 on February 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Lucano on February 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I’m not sure we can be succinct in stating conservative values. The last election proved that “free stuff” trumps ideas, values, or principles. Granted, Romney should have gone out after the enemy when they started in on the “war on women” stuff instead of sticking to an economic message. Too many greedy stupid women ended up believing that Romeny wanted to ban all abortions because the lies kept getting told without any rebuttal.

Nevertheless, I have no confidence in the morons who are now being called low-information. Ideas are hard. They are much more interested in what they will get out of the deal. They are parasites with no real value to society.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

You can go to the Palin WP thread where one lets the cat out of the bag with “We wanted him to win!” [sic] Like I said, it’s easy to mistake them for rat-eared wonder fans. But they’re not.

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Gumby is a paid troll for Organizing for America. He hasn’t “graced” us with his presence because he got laid off from his job after the campaign. I’m assuming that he got rehired for Obama’s new perpetual campaign.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Rubio should sign a deal with Poland Springs now. :)

DBear on February 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Yeah right.. I’m glad that we have two Axelrod paid trolls on this thread. I know that Rubio’s scary, but I’m shocked that Barry and friends are carrying the Wicked Witch’s water for her.

Illinidiva on February 13, 2013 at 10:09 AM

What is it about GOPers and water? First Ryan in the debates, now Rubio.

bobs1196 on February 13, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Cpoy2 on February 13, 2013 at 10:06 AM

It’s not Republicans that are saying that. It is supporters of the rat-eared wonder. If there is one thing I’ve had enough of after this past election is establishment (read RINO) Republicans and rat/liberals thinking they can give conservatives advice about how to “re-make” the party. Romney lost, true, but that was a combination of bad organization, voter fraud, and greedy stupid people. It wasn’t the landslide the enemy would have you think and why would any party take advice from the enemy about what they should do for the next election?

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Unfortunately, it’s hard to buck human nature. There’s nothing wrong with being selfish if that means working hard to better onself so one can achieve more on one’s own. If being selfish means that people in power can play us off each other and rob Peter to pay Paul, that’s another matter entirely. Either way, human nature is inherently selfish.

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM

DBear on February 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM

So how much does trolling message boards pay?? Just wondering what Obama’s perpetual campaign pays you.

And Republicans (and all Americans) should care about Benghazi because our ambassdor and three other Americans were murdered by Al Qaeda while the Obama administration did nothing about it. They also tried to blame it on a You Tube video. I don’t know about you, but I treasure the Bill of Rights and don’t want those precious rights taken away so that the President can cover up his failures.

Illinidiva on February 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM