Rubio: Let’s not rush to judgment on Rove’s new “Conservative Victory Project”

posted at 2:41 pm on February 13, 2013 by Allahpundit

Some people are grumbling about this in Headlines but I don’t know what you want the guy to say. He’s not going to tell Rove and his giant donor base to kiss his ass, no matter how much you wish he would; if he ends up running in 2016, he’ll need those people to win. I doubt even Rand Paul would go much further than Rubio in criticizing Rove for the same reason. In case there really is a GOP civil war between the establishment and tea party, any prospective nominee will be forced to ingratiate himself with both, especially since more centrist Republican groups are coming online every day. That’s why Paul’s been quick to forgive and forget the fact that Mitch McConnell endorsed his primary opponent in 2010. (Paul’s actually got a tougher job than Rubio insofar as he needs to appeal to mainstream conservatives, tea partiers, and the Ron Paul supporters who view him as maybe not quite enough of a chip off the ol’ anti-establishment block.) So here’s Rubio demonstrating a lesson from day one of Politics 101: Don’t alienate anyone unless you’re forced to, especially if the people you’re alienating can command hundreds of millions of dollars in political fundraising. He’s also demonstrating a lesson from day two of Politics 101: Try to say as little as possible when cornered with a thorny question. This answer goes on for two minutes but all it boils down to, really, is (1) both sides have their virtues and (2) let’s see what happens. Remember, just as it was with Captain Hopenchange at the 2004 convention, inclusiveness is key to Rubio’s brand. (E.g., “Despite our differences, I know that both Republicans and Democrats love America.”) If you want a Republican who’ll play a bit rougher, you’re really more of a Christie voter. Just understand that it’s usually other Republicans with whom he’ll be playing rough.

Exit question: Will donations from Rove’s group end up backfiring on establishment candidates? Nate Silver makes the case that, yep, it’s quite possible. Simply put, while establishment Republicans reliably outraise tea-party challengers, they don’t reliably defeat them. Those challengers get a lot of earned media from Fox News and conservative talk radio and they’re bound to get a lot more if/when the Rove imprimatur on a candidate makes him/her a target of grassroots contempt. Click the image to watch.

mr

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

steebo77 on February 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM

The half truth I was talking about, those who claim otherwise are referring to the spring (otherwise known as the Primaries), where as Rove clearly states he was there in the “fall” (the General election season).

He was originally a GHW Bush supporter, so clearly those working on the Reagan primary campaign wouldn’t know who he was.

Tater Salad on February 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

This is what Rove did:

Ernest Angelo, who was the campaign manager of the 1980 Reagan Texas campaign told CNSNews.com that Karl Rove had been brought in after the GOP convention in July 1980 and that he worked under Angelo as director of the Texas Victory Committee, a phone bank, get-out-the-vote effort….

The campaign leaders, eyewitnesses, and available documentation show that Rove was the director (or “executive director”) of the Texas Victory Committee but he was not ” the director of the Texas campaign for Ronald Reagan in the fall of 1980.”

He told O’Reilly that he was director of the Texas campaign. He was not. There’s a huge difference between working the phone bank and directing the campaign.

Rove was the one telling half-truths–a lie to make it seem as if he was a Reagan man.

When CNSNews.com contacted Rove’s office last week for comment on the controversy, his chief of staff at Karl Rove & Company explained that the topic was discussed in his book, Courage and Consequence, and e-mailed the sections from that book in response.

Ha ha.

INC on February 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

What bugs me about Rubio is that 1) the establishment focused group them some Hispandering 2) Rubio was anointed as “The One! Improved! Now in Spanish”, and 3) Rubio evolved on amnesty in the blink of an eye. I don’t know the cause/effect order of how that happened, all I know is that Rubio’s core principles are not conservative. Rubio lied about amnesty to get elected in 2010, what else did he lie about? Trust but verify on his other policies.

Rubio will support Karl Rove if he thinks it’ll get him elected President, but the Conservative Victory Project will fail them both in 2014 because Rove’s defining conservative and victory (and electable) wrongly.

sauldalinsky on February 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM

He was anointed as The One by most here, but the evolution on that has been quite quick, too. Reminds me of the GOP primary battle leading up to ’12. People were pining away for a more conservative, electable candidate…Rick Perry enters, and suddenly he’s a statist over a policy that didn’t even go into effect. The rest, of course, is history.

If we’re going to eat our own and take them out of contention this soon, I wish we’d wait until they actually voted on what we found objectionable.

changer1701 on February 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

every anti Hispanic bigot on this thread

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Care to name nombres, amigo?

steebo77 on February 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

steebo77 on February 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I know steebo..and she didn’t lie-straight up said why.
Just poking at Rove.
Shillary was a Goldwater girl…and?
Even if Rove isn’t lying-I could give a rats as$ if he worked on Reagans campaign.

bazil9 on February 13, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Tater Salad on February 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

So you’re saying that Rove told the truth when he claimed to be the “director of the Texas campaign?”

steebo77 on February 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

VorDaj on February 13, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I totally agree with this. I have never trusted Rubio; he seems to be an opportunist. I couldn’t believe the first thing out of his mouth last night was a congrats to barack.

MustLoveBlogs on February 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM

OMG- you have a problem with Rubio and your a Bigot!
The right will soon sound like the left. Oh goody!!
I cant wait for the 1st historic__________ fill in the blank-
So I can here bigot,racist,xenophobe-until I drop dead.

bazil9 on February 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM

The problem is not with mainstream conservatives, as much as Libertarians, and many unbending conservatives, who will never go moderate, even to defeat BHO! In fact, there are very conservative Independents who could not pull the lever for Romney! There can be no doubt about the conservative credentials of the next Republican nominee. If we survive the next few years, America may be ready for a real conservative.

tomshup on February 13, 2013 at 4:11 PM

OMG- you have a problem with Rubio and your a Bigot!

bazil9 on February 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Just like how anyone here not energetically flopping face downwards and abasing themselves in the dust on behalf of Lord Mittens was (somehow), de facto, “an anti-Mormon bigot.”

Kent18 on February 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

You’re assuming that the only reason that Rove would support someone is electability – Crist spent a lot of time in Florida separating himself from the Bush clan. I’m sure that wouldn’t sit well with a loyalist of said Bush clan.

And, even with this group, which claims to have as its mandate to support the most conservative candidate that can win (a goal, incidentally, that I strongly subscribe to), there is no way for us to know that the support would actually be based on “electability.” Further, as I mentioned previously, I simply do not trust Rove’s (and, really, anyone’s who thought that Romney was electable) analysis of who is and is not “electable.”

besser tot als rot on February 13, 2013 at 3:58 PM

You may not trust his analysis of who may be electable, but that is his primary focus. He’s not leading a conservative movement, he’s just strategizing. And, even if he may have preferred a different candidate, his group has gone on to support the eventual nominee in some of these races anyway (Sharron Angle among them).

changer1701 on February 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

So it’s not about the GOP aborting its conservative base or destroying the Tea Party of the little guys, but it’s only about helping this guy and his future power seeking agenda-to heck with principle and what America needs.
This is precisely how we got in the deep hole we’re in, tossing right, wrong, and the nation out the door in order to protect and support our approved patron saint de jour.Why don’t we just rename the GOP the “independent’s R us partAt least the left doesn’t are who they offend in their quest to force their ideology upon America–and they still manage to win. How is that?

Don L on February 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

steebo77 on February 13, 2013 at 4:04 PM

steebo I wasn’t there and neither were you, I can only take him at his word. What you seem to be missing is that the anti-Rove people have set themselves up as arbitors of conservatism by tearing down who they feel doesn’t live up to their vision of conservatism. This is the tactic of the Left and I’m sick and tired of seeing our side take up such tactics.

Tater Salad on February 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

changer1701 on February 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM

He’s already proposed amnesty. AllahP speculated at the time that he might end up voting against his own bill. I guess that would be cynical or clever or something. As long as Rubio votes against amnesty I guess that’s fine for a Senator. For a President I want someone whose instincts are conservative.

sauldalinsky on February 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Then Rubio can kiss mine.

Stoic Patriot on February 13, 2013 at 4:16 PM

steebo I wasn’t there and neither were you, I can only take him at his word.

But you can’t even get his words right.

I’m not missing anything. I haven’t even spoken to whether Rove is a conservative or not. I’m just examining whether his statements have been factual.

They have not.

Tater Salad on February 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Baselessly attacking one’s opponents is actually a rather Rovian tactic (c.f. McCain, South Carolina, 2000 primaries).

steebo77 on February 13, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Tater Salad on February 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I’m not parsing anything. He made a false statement. His statement was further laden with false implications. He’s a liar.

rrpjr on February 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM

changer1701 on February 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Yeah. I don’t know what you’re getting at. I know that. And, I’m saying he thinks statist = electable. So, fine. Whatever. I think he’s fundamentally wrong on electability.

If he’d remove his thumb from the scale in favor of statist candidates, I could get behind the project – as I mentioned when he first came out with the idea. I’m actually on board with the whole “run the most conservative candidate who can win” mandate, which is why I supported Castle over COD.

But, given what he and his cronies have said since the announcement of this project, I think they’re digging in their heels on their statism = electable error. And, frankly, it makes me wonder if it is because they actually prefer statist policy – which further brings into question their ability to determine “who the most conservative candidate who can win” is (or if that is really what they want).

besser tot als rot on February 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Kent18 on February 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Oh yes..I totally forgot about that one.
Thx for the reminder.

Don’t gripe unless someone is lilly
white and approved religious denomination.

I agreed with LTC West on Libya-not Rubio. Is that acceptable?
Noooo..West was a tea party loon. / now gone..as the estab wanted. Yee haw! And as a woman..plenty of them I do not like-which I suppose now makes me a misogynist. This crap is only going to help the division we have and increase. The GOP joining in..

bazil9 on February 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Rubio’s drinking the Latin version of Kool-Aid – orchata!

Same sellout, different skin.

madmonkphotog on February 13, 2013 at 4:33 PM

… Just wait: by the time 2016 rolls around, anyone publicly critical of Chris Christie will automatically be labeled “size-ist,” and opponents of Lisa Murkowski will be pilloried as insensitive towards “Crone-Americans.”

Kent18 on February 13, 2013 at 4:12 PM

The RINOSTONE LARDBOY and THE COLDEST WITCH’S TEAT IN THE NORTH can pi** off.

M240H on February 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Which tells you that Rubio’s weak. If he were elected he’d always need those people. Therefore, a lot of us don’t trust him or any other GOPe favorite.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM

They Republicans got trounced with the Hispanic vote in 2012 and they’re going to play smart this time.

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

If you think running a Latino is going to garner the GOP the bulk of the Latino vote in 2016, you’re an even bigger fool than I thought.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Good grief. Get that myopia checked, AP.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 4:49 PM

…but, how can this be?

I was told, just last night, that Rubio is 100 times more conservative than Romney!

Could it be that Rubio is trying to play both sides and the middle at the same time, to preserve his political capital? Nah, he wouldn’t do that. He’s such an honorable man. *rolling eyes^

JannyMae on February 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM

The year 2016 is an eternity away. I cannot take idle chatter about who will or won’t run and who one intends to support 4 years from now with any kind of seriousness.

All I can say is that Rubio is a heck of a good man and I am glad that his profile is on the rise. He is great for our party and that is enough for me.

MJBrutus on February 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

JannyMae on February 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM

He’s done before it even starts. A lot of us were predicting that as soon as Romney bit the dust the GOPe would start in with making either Rubio or Jeb the next Mr ELectable Inevitable. And, tada! like clockwork.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM

He’s done before it even starts. A lot of us were predicting that as soon as Romney bit the dust the GOPe would start in with making either Rubio or Jed the next Mr Elect-able Inevitable. And, Sada! like clockwork.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM

An the GOP will lose again! Pretty simple!

jjnco73 on February 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM

MJBrutus on February 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM

And when squishies/crypto-lefties tell you how the GOP can win, you’d better listen!

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Stop calling people bigots because they don’t like Sen. Rubio. The whole point is that identity politics is a liberal game. I don’t believe that his heritage is all that he has to recommend him and it is too early for me to sign on or write off any candidate but you don’t help anyone. Unless you think any of us recognize and agree with your obvious feeling of self superiority, and then your problems are even bigger.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I hear ya. I see his heritage as a potential political asset but no reason for a thinking person to recommend or support him.

MJBrutus on February 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM

… but in so doing, alienates an entire other group of people, more numerous in terms of actual votes-on-the-ground, and also a huge source of political fundraising.

Sorry – can’t please both Rove/establishment *and* ‘tea party’ people that are sick to f*cking death of Rove/establishment. Cozy up to Rove, and you won’t get the other.

Decide, you f*cking politicians. Grow some testicles and decide. Way too late for the usual political games.

Midas on February 13, 2013 at 5:18 PM

MJBrutus on February 13, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I think we have some real talent and while I wish we could just let it burn, anyone and everyone is going to have to work within the perimeters of what is in place now. Change is going to come fast enough for anyone, including those promoting amnesty and gun control. We are all destined to be disappointed, I just want the Left to be more disappointed.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Stop calling people bigots because they don’t like Sen. Rubio.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:10 PM

They can’t. Consider it a preview of coming attractions. The GOP Establishment are second-hand retailers of leftist tactics but only against conservatives.

rrpjr on February 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 4:57 PM

If you don’t like his policies, fine but please don’t tell me that you discount him for either the sip or water or that he has to keep donor options alive. You don’t think Gov. Palin has had to play nice with establishment?

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Rubio’s right.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM

If you don’t like his policies, fine…

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

What policies? He equivocates on so much it’s hard to tell what his policies are, beyond boilerplate claptrap rhetoric.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM

rrpjr on February 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Sorry but I think we are biting off our noses to spite our faces. I think we have a lot of people who deserve a chance to shine. Ryan, Cruz, Rubio, Paul and Palin, all have enemies within the party for the stupidest things.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM

rrpjr on February 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Yep. Same shit, different cycle.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Well, The GOP doesn’t need me any more. They’ve got their Hispanic votes(not yet), so I won’t be voting Republican come the next presidential election, if there is one. I may even vote for Obama just to bring this whole farce to an end that much faster. Good luck with your new constituency GOP.

DFCtomm on February 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Just remember, everything you are saying has been said about Gov. Palin. Her association with Sen. McCain (beyond establishment) is what brought her to the fore and probably hurt her in the eyes of many.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Sorry but I think we are biting off our noses to spite our faces.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Look, if Rubio is all that and an order of fries, why the onslaught from the media and blogosphere trying to convince us how much we love and adore Rubio? This is the Romney sale job all over again. And it was as predictable as the sun rising in the east every morning.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Great! The kiss of death.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Just remember, everything you are saying has been said about Gov. Palin.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Really? When was she ever an establishment favorite? When was she ever anointed the Next In Line ™ ? She had GOPe knives in her back before the 2008 election.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:30 PM

That’s weird, I thought he was being given the Jindal treatment.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:32 PM

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I believe she was brought to the attention of Sen. McCain by Bill Kristol.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM

I believe she was brought to the attention of Sen. McCain by Bill Kristol.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM

So?

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I’m not going to spend the next four years fighting with you about this. I’m going to watch and learn and hope we can find a leader who will bring back the equivalent of Reagan Democrats.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I believe she was brought to the attention of Sen. McCain by Bill Kristol.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM

If so, that was before they heard about “sudden and relentless reform.”

rrpjr on February 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM

“and 3) Rubio evolved on amnesty in the blink of an eye.”

As did Sean “I’m a conservative, not a Republican” Hannity.

bw222 on February 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I’m not going to spend the next four years fighting with you about this..

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

No, four years from now you’ll be saying I was right.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

the gope must think we have the iq of a bluegill, if they think they can pawn off one of rove’s flunkies on us.

drink the water of love rubio
There’s a trucon, up in a tree sitting up high
Waiting for me to die
If I don’t get some water soon
I’ll be dead and gone in the afternoon

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I’m not going to spend the next four years fighting with you about this..

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:38 PM

No, four years from now you’ll be saying I was right.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

And lest anyone thinks that’s “egotistical” on my part, there’s no great glory in having simple common sense.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM

rrpjr on February 13, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I don’t know but they were pretty stoked when he picked her. The problem is that we can’t afford to prefer anyone at this point because the media will destroy them. I think they have done just about as complete a job on Gov. Palin’s political career as possible. If Sen. Rubio starts to get any real traction, you can expect the natural citizen issue to become HUGE. The best thing our guys have going for them at this point is that the media has jettisoned a lot of those nasty employees to help their bottom line and pay the owners.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:47 PM

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I will not deny that possibility.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

From Open Secrets:

ROVE, KARL
WASHINGTON,DC 20016 KARL ROVE & COMPANY 10/3/09 $1,000 Rubio, Marco (R)

Reno_Dave on February 13, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I thot Rove was behind Charlie Crist. Wonder how much they gave Christ.

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Get back to me when amnesty or gun control come up for a vote. I still believe that neither party are interested in either issue.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I doubt that Rove was ever for Crist but John Cornyn and the NRSC sure were. BEFORE the primary.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I thot Rove was behind Charlie Crist. Wonder how much they gave Christ.

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

As I remember, he was more or less for Crist until it became clear that Crist would lose.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Someday … there won’t be any Rubio threads …

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Conservatives don’t need RINOs like Rubio or Rove. The way Faux News is reporting these days, it was the fault of extremists like O’Donnell that Flippin Mitt lost. Just love the addiction RINOs have to revisionist history. They can all just kiss my ass.

Faramir on February 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Palin was never an establishment favorite because she took on a standing RINO governor and helped send some of the good old boys to jail. Kristol liked Palin because he viewed her as a dependable neocon, but (probably influenced by Track) Palin started talking about only military action only if it is in the best interest of the U.S.

Now we ha done it. Fishface (aka I really like Sarah Palin. I just like insulting her because she’s the woman I can never be) will be here with 60+ comments.

bw222 on February 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Faramir on February 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM

The interesting thing about blaming O’Donnell is that Gov. Romney donated to her campaign and actually went to campaign for her. Conservatives and Establishment better find a way to make this a two way street.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Faramir on February 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I can’t josh with MadCon anymore as she is probably unemployed and therefore unable to afford an internet connection.

You will do.

Mitt lost because of idiots like you.

Was he perfect no. I bet no one in your family is either.

Brass tacks – listen to the SOTU if you dodged it last night.

You’re looking at a 2 term hardcore internationalist socialist.

If you think that you are proving something to someone by saying that is preferable to Romney, you are either on the take or sub normal. Your choice is not some kind of moral stand, it is moral cowardice. If you think the Mormon statist is the same deal as Barky then you need to check your meds to start with.

Oh by all means rage against the machine. It makes you feel good no doubt. I remember being 15 too. More power to you.

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

MadCon is not a girl!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Eviscerate Rove

Now – EVISCERATE Rubio!

EVISCERATE ANYONE who publicly states that they are on “the same team” as Rove – because Rove is only on ONE person’s team: ROVE’S!

williamg on February 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM

bw222 on February 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

You know, what really scared (and scares) the bejeebers out of the GOPe about Palin is how she fires up the rubes. That’s their worst nightmare. They don’t care about losing this or that election. Do you think they’re devastated about Romney’s losing? “Not hardly”.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Mitt lost because of idiots like you.
CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

ORCA. nuff said.

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 6:08 PM

MadCon is not a girl!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM

She knows.

Bmore on February 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Mitt lost because of idiots like you.

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Bullshit. Mitt had “lost” baked in.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM

MadCon is not a girl!!!!!!
Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM

But man could he flounce.

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Who are Paul Ryan’s enemies withn the party? He is a typical establishment Republican who talks the talk but won’t walk the walk (no child left behind, TARP, auto bailouts, Medicare Part D, debt ceiling increases, etc.). But, if Ryan is in Jeb’s way, he is dead meat with GOPe.

bw222 on February 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I wish he would flounce back. I miss him. The man would argue with a fence post.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Bozell running ads against McConnell:

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I think she scares HotAir too because it’s been over 6 hours and they haven’t even mentioned her rebuttal to the SOTU posted on Facebook.

#AREYOUKIDDINGME?!
#DON’TWANTFIREDUPRUBESONTHISPLACE

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM

MadCon is not a girl!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM

She knows.

Bmore on February 13, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Slight clarification. Didn’t notice this at the time of comment.

She knows MadCon is not a female. ; )

Bmore on February 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM

bw222 on February 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM

It’s a good question. Plenty of our folks have been just as bad as the Left when it comes to spending. But by the same token, our guys are the only thing standing between borrowing 100% of what we spend. We can’t even get the real definition of a spending cut. So someone explain to me how we get to work with something or someone who isn’t even part of the equation?

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Him and Crr6.

We didn’t see eye to eye but they are bright unlike libfree and company.

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Just a moment of review.

We vote on our elected officals.

Rubio is elected in Fl.

Cruz is elected in Tx.

Rove is a paid money guy.

No one elected either one of them king/leader/boss/headman.

Lets just keep it with voters and votes for now.

Clear it is the two party evil money cult has our country screwed

royal.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

This isn’t preferable to Romney. This is Romney. A distinction without a difference.

DFCtomm on February 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Take some responsibility. He was a wretched candidate — totally unable to come to grips with the major themes and challenges of our time. If he’d understood for a second the enormous passion for reform and the profound alienation in the country looking for simple fearless leadership, or had the nerve to exploit these realizations, and to take the fight directly to the media, he’d be managing his transition team right now. But that was never possible with this man, and the fact should have been obvious four years ago. Ben Carson said more in his one speech than Romney has said in his career about the Left. Carson tapped into the ache and longing for common sense and an unflinching champion better in one speech than Romney has… well, it’s beyond Romney’s conception or articulation. Romney lost because Romney sucked.

rrpjr on February 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM

every anti Hispanic bigot on this thread

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I am beginning to think Marcus is bluegill’s twin brother.

bw222 on February 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM

INC on February 13, 2013 at 2:57 PM

American Crossroads spokesman Jonathan Collegio made an appearance on Washington’s WMAL radio today. In the course of his appearance he referred to the Media Research Center’s Brent Bozell as a “hater.” Twice.

His apology: I apologize to Mr. Bozell if it offended him.

Really, Mr. Collegio?

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:23 PM

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:20 PM

The thing with MadCon is you never really know if you saw eye to eye with him or not, a classic contrarian, he would argue for the sake of arguing. Good for the thread count but exhausting.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Ohhhh, a democrat apology.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Rubio can’t sit on this fence for very long.

INC on February 13, 2013 at 3:02 PM

So true, fences aren’t the most comfortable place to be:-) Someone is going to knock you off.

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:26 PM

rrpjr on February 13, 2013 at 6:22 PM

All good points and they are well taken.

Except for this:

unable to come to grips with the major themes and challenges of our time.

He understood these well enough and explained the problem and his path towards a solution. The major challenge to the US is an economic challenge. He did understand that on our current trajectory we’re going to buy the farm. His problem was sales – no one really bought that because math is hard and he’s not good at selling to public school educated (at best) voters.

I am not a fan of the man and donated precisely $0 to his effort.

What I object to is TruCons saying he really is no different to Barky. They both have the same Statist mindset, same background, same education, same achievements, and would deliver the same results.

That is palpably BS. It is comforting though and it allowed a lot of people to stay home.

To those people I say, can you even imagine Romney giving that SOTU last night? Really? Furthermore, can you imagine him appointing the SC justices who *will* be appointed in the next 4? Who *will* show you that the constitution is a living and breathing document that does not require amendment through that process you may or may not have learned about in ‘social studies’?

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM

#AREYOUKIDDINGME?!
#DON’TWANTFIREDUPRUBESONTHISPLACE

Marcus on February 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM

If it’s not mentioned here it never happened? LOL You need to get out more, PerryKrishna.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Oh yes they were. Perhaps Rove was working behind the scenes, which he’s known to do. There should be info out there.

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM

That is palpably BS.

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM

So in terms of the economy and growth of government, was George W. Bush “palpably diffderent” from Al Gore? The difference is that one would take an incremental approach while the other would be full-speed ahead. The final destination’s the same in both cases. Same with Romney-Obama.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Sounds about right for Rove’s M.O.:-)

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:35 PM

That is palpably BS.

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Let’s put it another way: if it were “palpably bs”, you wouldn’t have to sit here and try to convince us rubes that Romney is starkly different.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 6:38 PM

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Maybe. It might convince some not to donate to him. I was never going to regardless.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM

MadCon is not a girl!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM

LOL, hope CorporatePiggy doesn’t get RWM mixed up, ROFL

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Did you all see Donald Trump’s tweets on this? He just excoriated Rove, calling him a loser, and telling the donors they are stupid losers if they donate to the loser!!!! He rapid fired many tweets out on this. I laughed out loud.

karenhasfreedom on February 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM

But, if Ryan is in Jeb’s way, he is dead meat with GOPe.

bw222 on February 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM

You got that right!! Rubio too, unless he’s Jeb’s VP pick which is my opinion:-)

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:42 PM

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM

There’s a huge difference.

Neither were ideal.

Sadly, the nature of politics tends to involve picking the least worst option. Alternatively, one can throw in the towel and choose the absolute worst option and say screw it. Palin FTW or death.

That doesn’t make you some kind of hero, and it doesn’t mean you’ve taught The Man a Lesson.

At best it means you’re doing improv on a neo 1970s blaxploitation flick.

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 6:43 PM

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Ohhhh, a democrat apology.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Good name for that, thanks!!

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM

…but, how can this be?

JannyMae on February 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Politician acts like a politician. Let me go find my shocked face.

kim roy on February 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I doubt if regular voters will donate to Rove after reading Lord’s articles and other info out there. I read somewhere a few of the big R money donors are not comfortable with his new PAC and attack.
They lost a lot of money and feel that Rove’s tactic may backfire.

I think Rove has over reached with this. Voters do not want anyone dictating to them who should be their State’s Primary Candidate or who to vote for.

He’s already smearing and attacking Rep. Steve King of Iowa over an open Senate seat that King is considering.

bluefox on February 13, 2013 at 6:53 PM