Nielsen: Obama’s speech drew second-smallest SOTU audience of past 20 years?

posted at 8:41 pm on February 13, 2013 by Allahpundit

That’s what the numbers say, but I’ve been burned before by trusting preliminary ratings for political speeches so the headline gets a question mark. At first blush, Clinton’s DNC speech looked like it had underperformed. It hadn’t. The initial ratings for Romney’s first debate with Obama looked great. Then, after the later data came in, they looked super-fantastic. I assume Obama will be getting an upward revision too that’ll put him more in line with last year’s audience, although Entertainment Weekly makes the point that some of the public might have skipped the O Show last night to watch the drama play out with Christopher Dorner in California.

If these numbers do hold up, it’ll be the smallest SOTU audience a president has had since Clinton’s 2000 address, which was the eighth year in office for a guy who was known to be long-winded in major speeches and had little of major import to comment on by the end. As disliked as he was in his second term, Dubya never sank below 37.5 million viewers; according to Nielsen, O’s audience last night was 33.5 million. Could be that there’s less interest in a SOTU that closely follows a newly reelected president’s second inaugural, as Dubya’s audience dipped below 40 million in 2005. Then again, Clinton’s 1997 numbers were actually a slight improvement over the year before. Maybe this is Obama fatigue in action, maybe it’s a byproduct of the Dorner standoff, or maybe it’s just an artifact of preliminary ratings typically lowballing events like these. We’ll know by tomorrow. One reason to believe the answer lies behind door number one, though: Obama’s audience has declined steadily by about five million viewers every year since 2009. This would be consistent with the trend. Who besides his most loyal supporters isn’t tired of listening to him by now?

One other intriguing footnote, per Noah Rothman at Mediaite: According to Bing’s massive real-time viewer tracker, the most negatively received section of Obama’s speech was — ta da — gun control. If you follow the last link and eyeball the graph, you’ll see that viewer sentiment started to rebound around the time he began mentioning relatives of shooting victims in the audience, but the lead up to that moment about bringing new regulations to a vote was fall-off-a-cliff time for Republicans and independents. I wonder why. Was it the fact that his gun-control pitch is based, essentially, on non sequiturs and demagoguery?

Comments

I wouldn’t have watched the SOTU myself except that I thought Rand Paul was going to give a response afterward. I won’t make the same mistake next year.

FloatingRock on February 13, 2013 at 8:43 PM

There was not App on the Obamaphone?

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Nielsen: Obama’s speech drew second-smallest SOTU audience of past 20 years?

Wait till next year.

Curtiss on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Doomsday Preppers was a trainwreck last night, but I enjoyed it more than the speech. Just couldn’t take more of that narcissistic jackwagon.

rbj on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

But you see, he didnt have a drink of water during his speech, so he’ pretty good, eh?

dirtseller on February 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Obama’s faithful have accomplished their mission — getting Obama elected and re-elected. Why would they care what he does next? It’s not like this was ever about policy.
It was always about making someone else “lose” in order to satisfy their bruised-by-the-real-world egos.

Count to 10 on February 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I blame Dorner…

Obama’s fantasy son…

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM

He’s not popular with anyone but his moocher base. There is no mandate. He’ll over reach with all this bullcrap he’s pimping.

jawkneemusic on February 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Next year, I’m finding something else to do that night.

22044 on February 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I decided not to watch. I had already seen the same speech four times.

nogooddeed on February 13, 2013 at 8:50 PM

I watch only for the clap-breaks

@AsalamaTweetum

Opinionnation on February 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Charlatanry can’t be sold over, and over, and over.

New charlatanry is needed.

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Same crap, different SOTU.

Philly on February 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Tiniest man in history, Obama.

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Perhaps others have found Mr. Obama’s voice, cadence and odd accent as obnoxious as I have. Why has there been no commentary on his peculiar speech?

Mason on February 13, 2013 at 8:53 PM

they looked super-fantastic

Oof. That Obama-Romney debate thread you linked to is super depressing.

sauldalinsky on February 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Same speech 5 years running!

Chuck Schick on February 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

I just couldn’t bring myself to watch it, but I am sure it went something like this:

I am so sorry that Bush continues to ruin our country, but I know that I am good enough to get us through this on hope. We can vanquish Bush, stop the rise of the oceans, get out of debt, ban guns, get rid of all those icky republicans if we spend another trillion dollars and raise taxes again – Oh and don’t forget that Republicans will ban your tampons.. The END…

Insert “I, me, myself, Umm, umm, umm, and let me be clear” for effect and you got yourself and Obama speech..

melle1228 on February 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I chose to watch the insides of my eyelids.

I knew the TV talking heads and radio talk show guys would fill me in on the main points over the next two weeks or so.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM

*clink!*

Bmore on February 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Obama calls this country…
The wealthiest…
Bestess..
Country on the face of the Earth..

But Obama wants to transform it..

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Just more evidence of how pathetic Romney’s campaign was.

Mark1971 on February 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM

*clink!*

Bmore on February 13, 2013 at 8:57 PM

*clink*

But right now..

I have something stronger…:)

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Even the lefties know that Bark is a rolling disaster, they just can’t admit it, and his speech was yet another reminder that they got jacked bigtime.

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Count to 10 on February 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Bingo. Got it in one.

In fact, that’s exactly what The One’s entire life has been about. Punishing everybody else for not seeing his (self-perceived) True Greatness.

Sooner or later, Reality is going to hit him in the face rather like this;

I hope he enjoys it. And that the rest of us survive the results.

clear ether

eon

eon on February 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM

…I heard he’s still campaigning

KOOLAID2 on February 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM

But, eeeeeeeeeeveryone agrees with him though I thought….Or something.

TX-96 on February 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Eg, Bestess? Sounds like a name of a duchess. ;-) *clink!*

tommy71 on February 13, 2013 at 9:01 PM

O’s audience last night was 33.5 million

That would be your hardcore “Obamabots”. They tune in to hear The Chosen One speak to make sure that their leg still tingles.

GarandFan on February 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Yep. The ones that actually get a paycheck are starting to wonder how Bush was able to skim a little off the top.

VegasRick on February 13, 2013 at 9:04 PM

…I heard he’s still campaigning

KOOLAID2 on February 13, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I think he is some Senator that wants to sell books..

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Eg, Bestess? Sounds like a name of a duchess. ;-) *clink!*

tommy71 on February 13, 2013 at 9:01 PM

My strong drink has a mind of its own..:)

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM

What else do you expect from a STFU speech? A BFD?

tommy71 on February 13, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Obama always looks/acts like an underdeveloped narcissistic teenager, who’ll never fully grow up.

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM

rbj on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

That sums things up well for me, too ^^.

About Doomsday Preppers, I tuned in to see the concluding scenes of a replay of the “Hippies In the Missile Silo” episode. They seem like nice people but they are really and truly…hippies. I laughed aloud when Mr. Hippie was told by the experts that he should consider being armed to contend with an armed onslaught and he responded, no, “their consciousness is in a different place than mine.”

OK, then.

Lourdes on February 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM

One day…
Many years ago…or not…

Obama saw the wheels in the sky turning…

Obama does so many 180s that he struggles to connect.

/Obama thought process..

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM

*clink!*

Scrumpy on February 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM

*clink!*

Scrumpy on February 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM

*clink*

Electrongod on February 13, 2013 at 9:15 PM

0 doesn’t have a thought process, he has speech writers, and a p!ss poor job they do thank goodness!

Perhaps even his base is getting sick n tired of the same ol’ same ol’ claptrap…

Ah well, what goes around COMES around, hope it bites him in the azz!

Rand/Rubio 2016! ;-)

Scrumpy on February 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Seriously man you need to stop the over analyzing of everything and the caveats about everything you write…

mnjg on February 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Ah well, what goes around COMES around, hope it bites him in the azz!

Rand/Rubio 2016! ;-)

Scrumpy on February 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I am absolutely certain that his IQ is average or even below average… It is genetics…

mnjg on February 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM

I think the Left is using Obama’s “He Cares About MEEEE” appeal (so they describe their reasons for voting for him) as a placeholder to wedge in Hillary in 2016. They’re just using Obama as placeholder…

Already I’m reading these “Hillary will be the next President and she’ll be a great one” thing in the Left media (I think that’s an accurate quote from what I read in, perhaps, Daily Mail or maybe on Yahoo, little difference).

The Left is on their perpetual “celebrity” campaign and now they’re returning to Hillary. Thus,, apparently, Obama can do whatever-whenever, say whatever, the Left is just assuming “they won” and leaving him to enjoy all his spending.

Lourdes on February 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM

AND I think the Right has to start promoting talent of the “non snarky” kind. The snarky celebrity personalities are entertaining and energizing to some on the Right after so much negation and even boring repetition, but the Snarky Right Celebrity won’t grab us a win in 2016 — we need sincerity now with very, very sound language and values.

Lourdes on February 13, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Work harder. The Punk is wasting your dough.

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Work a bit harder. The Punk wastes your dough on his dummies.

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Scrumpy on February 13, 2013 at 9:18 PM

mnjg on February 13, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I agree with “mnjg” there.

Obama is clearly That Guy in the corner at the Smokin’Partee who knew what everyone “ought to do” and how and with whom and why and could (and did) talk and talk and talk and then he’d sip some and smoke some and then he’d talk and talk and talk and…

He’s That Guy, carried forth on his ability to DRONE everyone else into an Idealistic Stupor that they could never quite remember how-it-went the next day and thereafter.

Yes, I went there (“DRONE everyone…”).

Lourdes on February 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Hard to imagine…4 previous long winded, ‘powerful’, ‘inspiring’, ‘courageous’….absolutely meaningless ‘appeal to the leftspaz’ drivel …and they eat it up. He takes a giant $hit on them, and they ask for more.

By now, anyone that has at least as much common sense as a horse turd knows he’s lying…eat it up …

BigWyo on February 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM

He’s given the exact same speech for the last 4 years. There was no need to watch it.

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Work harder. The Punk is wasting your dough.

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2013 at 9:24 PM

“Hey, man, they’re gonna’ be using shovels and stuff. You know, shovels. Heyyyy, over there, fist-bump.”

/BOba

Lourdes on February 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM

BigWyo on February 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Right on!! This: He takes a giant $hit on them, and they ask for more.

Scrumpy on February 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM

BigWyo on February 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Obama’s fans (that means, who vote for him) are the GLEE people, the trendy jivers. They’ll get tired of him when they want to change the channel. Or not.

After reading so many of their garbage statements on twitter, I am appalled at the hideous amorality and crudeness of those who are keen on and about Obama. And they hate “white people”.

Lourdes on February 13, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I agree with “mnjg” there.

Yes, I went there (“DRONE everyone…”).

Lourdes on February 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Never in this history of the Republic we have had a more incompetent and dumber President than Obama… The man knows nothing about anything of importance… Maybe we are lucky that he is that incompetent or else we would have been in much worse shape as he would have been able to implement more destructive socialism… We are lucky that he certainly does not have the intelligence of the most destructive President in history… FDR… or the second most destructive President in history… LBJ…

mnjg on February 13, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I “watched” the live post. Always good for laughs.

gophergirl on February 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I blame every conservative who watched the parasite class President speech… The least our side can do is not give him TV and radio ratings… Is that too much to ask?… I have not heard him talking since June 2008 with the only exception is when our brave troops got Bin Laden, that was only time I listened to him since June 2008 because I was so very happy that we killed Bin Laden… Other than this happy occasion I simply refuse to listen to him or watch him, he insults me, he insults the nation…

mnjg on February 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM

just more proof that the rest of the country can’t stand DC nor the elites. think about it 33 million about 10% of the country. the rest don’t care and/or hate the elites including obama. the elites days are numbered.

unseen on February 13, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Mason on February 13, 2013 at 8:53 PM

It was “How to Motivate…” Speech 101.

The cadence and tone was to dictate your emotional response, like a movie soundtrack. Except the soundtrack was played by the HS Marching band.

I don’t blame him so much for it, but it is…uncomfortable to think that this is the same tone & style he uses to negotiate deals and treaties with other countries….

…Do you really think it would convince anyone? Not me.

BlaxPac on February 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM

mnjg,

i’m the same way refuse to listen to him…..and the rest of the elites they are a waste of muy time. screw them all

unseen on February 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I didn’t watch a damn minute, and have only heard about five en totale.

Miami/Portland was a good game on NBATV, which didn’t help Barry’s first hour.

You can extrapolate – subtract disgusted conservatives, you’re at 50%.

Then, divide Barry’s base amongst all the other television distractions, and why would it be a surprise that he’s dropping?

Clinton only did well because we had less cable choices. Barry is fighting with every pop culture program for the same demo. If he got 35M, he should be thrilled. In two years, he’ll be lucky to hit 30M.

budfox on February 13, 2013 at 10:35 PM

If viewership is down, then maybe it’s time to move to cable.

I hear CurrentTV has time-slots available for left-wing and muslim activists.

virgo on February 14, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I prefer reading it. I abhor irrelevant political pep rallies. I am suprised he didn’t fly somewhere like Mt. Rushmore to give it, since it’s free and opulant. I….I….I….sorry, must be contagious.

John Kettlewell on February 14, 2013 at 1:29 AM

After you’ve heard the lies and BS once you don’t need to hear them again. Most likely mostly only adoring Party members and supporters and news junkies watched the socialist affirmative action gas bag.

farsighted on February 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Live by the low-information voter, die by the low information voter. There is a reason we call them low information voters.

monalisa on February 14, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Weren’t we told last year, by HotAir writers, that this guy no longer commanded the audiences that he once did AND this was going to carry over to the election?

So his “audience” forgot to turn on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th televisions in their homes, thus only voting once as in attendance for the SOTU speech.

They certainly know how to vote when it counts.

I am OVER this false storyline.

Carnac on February 14, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I watched the champions at Westminster.

Much more interesting, and probably had effects that reach farther – especially for certain breeders.

new2wnc on February 14, 2013 at 10:08 AM

When taking into account the TYPICAL LETHARGY of the average American, this should surprise no one.

DannoJyd on February 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM