Investigators remove body from Big Bear house after firefight; Update: AP: Driver’s license found at scene

posted at 10:01 am on February 13, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

After a couple of false alarms, San Bernardino County law enforcement believed they found the most-wanted man in America — the cop-turned-serial-killer Christopher Dorner.  After a traffic stop turned into a gunfight, the suspect retreated into a cabin in Big Bear, a remote resort town in the mountains that is known for its winter sports rather than police standoffs.  One deputy got killed and another wounded in the initial fight, and hours later the cabin burst into flames.  Investigators hauled out the charred remains of the suspect, whom they hope to identify — fast:

After what LAPD Chief Charlie Beck called “a bittersweet night,” investigators Wednesday were in the process of identifying the human remains found in the charred cabin where fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner was believed to have been holed up after trading gunfire with officers, authorities said.

If the body is identified as Dorner’s, the standoff would end a weeklong manhunt for the ex-LAPD officer and Navy Reserve lieutenant suspected in a string of shootings following his firing by the Los Angeles Police Department several years ago. Four people have died in the case, allegedly at Dorner’s hands.

Beck said he would not consider the manhunt over until the body was identified as Dorner. Police remained on tactical alert and were conducting themselves as if nothing had changed in the case, officials said.

The latest burst of gunfire came Tuesday after the suspect, attempting to flee law enforcement officials, fatally shot a San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputy and seriously injured another, officials said. He then barricaded himself in a wooden cabin outside Big Bear, not far from ski resorts in the snow-capped San Bernardino Mountains east of Los Angeles, according to police.

Given the circumstances and Dorner’s publicized manifesto, law enforcement assumed that negotiations would be fruitless.  Instead, they worked on eliminating the gunman’s cover, and weren’t messing around, either:

Just before 5 p.m., authorities smashed the cabin’s windows, pumped in tear gas and called for the suspect to surrender, officials said. They got no response. Then, using a demolition vehicle, they tore down the cabin’s walls one by one. When they reached the last wall, they heard a gunshot. Then the cabin burst into flames, officials said.

Initially, the suspect took two maids hostage, but they managed to slip out of their bonds and call 9/11 after he had left:

The discovery of a man who police believe to be Christopher Dorner began when two maids ran into him Tuesday morning as they arrived to clean a vacant cabin in the Big Bear area near where the fugitive ex-cop’s car was set ablaze last week.

The two maids entered a cabin in the 1200 block of Club View Drive, close to Snow Summit and Bear Mountain Resort, and surprised a man who they said resembled the fugitive, a law enforcement official said. The man tied up the maids, and then took off in a purple Nissan parked near the cabin, authorities said.

One of the maids was eventually able to break free and called 911 at 12:20 p.m., officials said.

Nearly half an hour later, the suspect was allegedly driving on California 38 when he passed a marked vehicle driven by the agency’s law enforcement officers.

They recognized the suspect as he passed and swung their vehicle around in pursuit.

The suspect attempted to evade them by turning off onto Glass Road, and at some point crashed and abandoned the small car.

He tried carjacking another vehicle to get away, allowing the driver to leave with his dog.  Apparently, he hoped that the change in vehicle would allow him to get away. No such luck:

He then sped off in the Dodge extended-cab pickup — and quickly encountered two Department of Fish and Wildlife trucks.

As the suspect zoomed past the officers, he rolled down his window and fired about 15 to 20 rounds. One of the officers jumped out and shot a high-powered rifle at the fleeing truck.

The suspect subsequently crashed that truck and ran into the woods. He ended up in a cabin.

More bad luck for the suspect — the game warden was a former Marine:

The pursuit culminated in what officials described as a wild shootout between the man and one of the wardens. The suspect rolled down his window and opened fire into the approaching Fish and Wildlife truck as the vehicles passed just two feet apart, officials said. The shots shattered the driver’s side window and damaged the state truck.

The warden, a 35-year-old former Marine, jumped out and fired 20 rounds from a high-powered rifle as the suspect fled in a hijacked truck, officials said.

Sources said the warden, who has been with the department for 2 1/2 years, had never fired his weapon in the line of duty, nor had he ever been fired on in his state job.

They had better hope this was Chris Dorner, although the carjacking and gunfight certainly justifies the actions taken in this standoff either way. They just don’t want to have to do this all over again.

Speaking of which, this CBS reporter probably hopes he never has to cover a story like this quite so closely, either:

Update: The AP reports that Dorner’s driver’s license was found on the scene:

The search ended Tuesday when a man believed to be Dorner bolted from hiding, stole two cars, barricaded himself in a vacant cabin and mounted a last stand in a furious shootout in which he killed one sheriff’s deputy and wounded another before the building erupted in flames.

He never emerged from the ruins and hours later a charred body was found in the basement of the burned cabin along with a wallet and personal items, including a California driver’s license with the name Christopher Dorner, an official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation.

If this is true, then it’s all but confirmed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Also: Can someone explain to me why the people who are so intent on taking away the guns of private citizens and making ever more laws for the police to enforce … then metaphorically dance in the streets when those same police are murdered by a thug?

*Shakes his head in puzzlement*

pendell2 on February 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Because the left are a bunch of uncivilized savages who WANT to see chaos, murder, and mayhem in the streets and then walk down to pick up their government bennies the next day.

sharrukin on February 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Then why did he deserve to die?

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM

He insisted on a shootout and killed a cop in it.

MelonCollie on February 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Look at all the raving lunatics and their imagination gone wild (as usual) trying to invent support from left for Dorner.

lester on February 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

The Real Left is indeed stranger than fiction.

The imagination simply cannot create such crap.

Jabberwock on February 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Surprised Obama did not nuke the cabin with one of his drones…

albill on February 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I’m waiting for the announcement the rat-eared wonder is headed to Big Bear to comfort the victims and try and steal some of the attention.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

There is an incongruity with the story. A wallet and plastic drivers license survived a fire that charred a body such that dental records or DNA will be required to identify it.

chemman on February 13, 2013 at 10:52 A

M

Not really. I have sifted through the remains of a major fire and it pretty weird what will burn, what will melt, and what will just suffer smoke damage. Plus, in this day and age, even with dna/dental ID, the conspiracy nuts will claim he got away.

Blake on February 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I bet Dorner’s mom will get a phone call of condolences before Obama says anything about the victims or the grief of their families.

I’m also willing to bet plans are already in the works for a DoJ ‘investigation’ of last night.

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM

You mess with family, then ALL bets are off and you better hope the cops get to you first. It’s as simple as that.

Christien on February 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I imagine Djorner unchained himself with that lone gunshot. Limp wristed tards should comfort themselves with that.

BL@KBIRD on February 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Murder committed on live TV after trying to gag the media, praised by statists and authoritarian sheep. Nothing surprises me on this site anymore.

mythicknight on February 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I suppose you would have just given him a peace sign at the cabin windows and tried to coax him out? Unarmed, of course.

scalleywag on February 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Why would you try to negotiate surrender with a guy who left a manifesto making it clear he would die before being captured? If anything, the one shot they had of taking him alive was a direct assault.

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Maybe so that they could show some modicum of restraint? Despite what he’s done, he is one guy. LAPD faces armed dudes all the time–many of whom say that they won’t be taken alive. I don’t think that a court would agree that that is a carte blanche “death wish” and license to kill the guy. It would seem prudent that they give the guy a chance to surrender, heck, they couldn’t have waited a few hours, a day? 2 days? They had to rush in and destroy someone’s cabin, I mean, somebody owns that property. I would think that the perception of haste could open these guys up to lawsuits–albeit frivolous ones–but that is besides the point. Tactically speaking, the guy was holed up and now on defense, he could not mount a legitimate counter assault. The LEOs had the upper hand and they had time they could’ve used and didn’t and that is now in question. It appears they may have hurried up to get Dorner “done” and may have substantiated some of the claims that he could’ve made about them. It is a point at least worth considering. Again, not defending the guy one bit–he’s a killer, but unleashing the LAPD and other agencies upon him without taking a tactical pause when they could have is something that we should all look at objectively.

two cent!

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Djorner burned alive.

Sorry that the liberals revenge fantasy didn’t have a happy ending.

They thought this was a Hollywood movie.

MichaelGabriel on February 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I’ll be happy if this guy is dead, but on the other hand, I’m also quite willing to wait until the autopsy confirms he’s dead.

One of the reporters on scene said that there was a set of footprints leading from the basement door to the corral out back.

Right now, all they have is a burned body and his driver’s license that somehow managed to survive a fire that burned a building flat.

Again, I’ll be happy if they got him, but until the coroner says yes, I’d be hoping that the police were still searching the area and keeping up their guard.

TKindred on February 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

The whole house burned down, his body charred, but a plastic driver’s license survived?

Dorner is alive.

p0s3r on February 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

They could have left two of them outside the cabin with a tent until he came out. Nobody said he had to be taken within the next 2 hours. What the police ended up doing was exactly what Dorner was ranting about…the irony is so thick.

trs on February 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

From Dorner’s manifesto:

Whatever pre-planned responses you have established for a scenario like me, shelve it. Whatever contingency plan you have, shelve it. Whatever tertiary plan you’ve created, shelve it. I am a walking exigent circumstance with no OFF or reset button. JRIC, DOJ, LASD, FBI and other local LE can’t assist and should not involve themselves in a matter that does not concern them. For all other agencies, do not involve yourself in this capture or recovery of me. Look at the big picture of the situation. They (LAPD) created the situation. I will harm no outside agency unless it is a deadly force/IDOL situation. With today’s budgeting and fiscal mess, you guys can not afford lose several officers to IOD or KIA/EOW. Plus, other officers should not have to take on the additional duties and responsibilities of dead officers. Think about their families, outside agencies, Chiefs/Directors.

Outside agencies and individual officers on patrol. If you recognize my vehicle, and confirm it is my vehicle thru a dmv/want warrant check. It behoves you to respond to dispatch that your query was for information purposes only. If you proceed with a traffic stop or attempt to notify other officers of my location or for backup you will not live to see the medal of valor you were hoping to receive for your actions. Think before you attempt to intervene. You will not survive. Your family will receive that medal of valor posthumously. It will gather dust on the fireplace mantel for years. Then one day, it will go in a shoe box with other memories. Your mother will lose a son or daughter. Your significant other will be left alone, but they will find someone else to fill your void in the future and make them just as happy. Your children, if you have them, will call someone else mommy or daddy. Don’t be selfish. Your vest is only a level II or IIIA, think about it.

No amount of IMINT, MASINT, and ELINT assist you in capturing me. I am off the grid. You better use your feet, tongue and every available DOD/ NON-DOD HUMINT agency, contractor to find me. I know your route to and from home, and your division. I know your significant others routine, your children’s best friends and recess. I know Your Sancha’s gym hours and routine. I assure you that the casualty rate will be high. Because of that, no one will remember your name. You will merely be a DR# and “that guy” who was KIA/EOW or long term IOD/light duty in the kit room. This is exactly why “station 500″ was created. Unfortunately, orphanages will be making a comeback in the 21st century.

I have exhausted all available means at obtaining my name back. I have attempted all legal court efforts within appeals at the Superior Courts and California Appellate courts. This is my last resort. The LAPD has suppressed the truth and it has now lead to deadly consequences. I’ve lost a relationship with my mother and sister because of the LAPD. I’ve lost a relationship with close friends because of the LAPD. In essence, I’ve lost everything because the LAPD took my name and new I was INNOCENT!!!

When the truth comes out, the killing stops.

The attacks will stop when the department states the truth about my innocence, PUBLICLY!!! I will not accept any type of currency/goods in exchange for the attacks to stop, nor do i want it. I want my name back, period. There is no negotiation. I am not the state department who states they do not negotiate with terrorist, because anybody with a Secret or TS/SCI has seen IIR’s on SIPR and knows that the US state department always negotiates by using CF countries or independent sovereign/neutral country to mediate and compromising.

It doesn’t sound like he was planning on anything other than going out in a blaze of glory…

It’s kind of sad I won’t be around to view and enjoy The Hangover III. What an awesome trilogy. Todd Phillips, don’t make anymore Hangovers after the third, takes away the originality of its foundation. World War Z looks good and The Walking Dead season 3 (second half) looked intriguing. Damn, gonna miss shark week.

To my friends listed below, I wish we could have grown old together and spent more time together. When you reminisce of our friendship and experiences, think of that and that only. Do not dwell on my recent actions the last few days. This was a necessary evil that had to be executed in order for me to obtain my NAME back. The only thing that changes policy and garners attention is death.

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

My understanding is the LAPD wasn’t part of this, they were standing by to help if needed. It was the San Bernadino police who were involved in the shootout at the cabin, where the murderer took out one of their officers and wounded another. Knowing the kind of threat the guy was, and having already demonstrated he wasn’t going to stop, I think they knew what they had to do…flush him out. It was the murderers choice not to surrender.

scalleywag on February 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

While the cabin burned they reported rounds going off…probably from the fire. Yet everyone heard the single round when he committed suicide.

Drivers license…teeth identification…

“What difference does it make now?”

trs on February 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

That’s not the sound of a man who wants death. Instead, it makes me think of someone who is resigned to it–a much more dangerous type of personality. His feelings are turned off, which allows a form of calm in him. Sometimes that makes for heroes. But in this case, it made for a dangerous man who lost his own soul and planned to take with him everyone he could for his revenge.

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM

that can only be brought down by weapons loaded with high capacity magazines and former Marines-turned-”Game Wardens”…….
/sarc of course./

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Overkill. Use scissors and go for those beady little eyes.

katy the mean old lady on February 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

California officers find california-issued DL at scene of crime that if they didn’t find california DL there they’d look really bad after they burned down the house…….

nothing fishy here. Keep moving.

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:12 AM

“What difference does it make now?”

trs on February 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

You just watch the liberal media attack law enforcement and want to know every detail about what happened. You know, the same media that demanded to know every detail about what happened in Benghazi.

scalleywag on February 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

It would seem prudent to neutralise a threat before he kills anyone else. He was shooting from that cabin. He was NOT acting like the man in Alabama that held the 5 year-old boy for a week. That guy was not shooting at people.

They were in contact with the lady that owned that cabin and the 6 nearby. She will be compensated.

From that “defencive” position, he killed one officer and sent another to the ICU where he is currently in critical condition.

He was firing from the cabin. He was a clear and present danger to officers and the community. How long should they have allowed him to keep shooting? A week? Would you have liked to be the person that had to break the news to the spouses, children, and parents of those that he killed during that time?

He could have had that day in court. He chose his exit. He chose it before he ever got to Big Bear.

The LAPD was not at the scene. Yes, they could have…continued to put people in danger by sitting idly by while he took shots at them from a cabin.

Shouldn’t everyone wait until the autopsy is performed before we assume that he died from the fire…however it was caused?

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Dorner is alive.

p0s3r on February 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Here we go.

katy the mean old lady on February 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Overkill. Use scissors and go for those beady little eyes.

katy the mean old lady on February 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

K-8 Assault Scissors:

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

We can’t find any forces to flex upon a US consulate/outstation in Libya that is under attack for several hours, but we can sure the hell muster a helluva response to this guy…..

oh yeah, what difference does it make now? (TM)

/capabilities.

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

He had plenty of chances to put on sack cloth and ashes but refused.

Christien on February 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

The Left is upset.

It’s their Waco.

Ben Hur on February 13, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Well, it could be argued that the original Waco was also owned by the Left, as it was All Clinton’s Fault.

Del Dolemonte on February 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

trs on February 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

ROFL

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Yep. Best joke I’ve seen all morning.

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM

lester on February 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

‘He ain’t dead:’ #TeamDorner cheers news that no body has been found yet

Galt2009 on February 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

You know, after all the yak yak in his manifesto, it is kind of ironic that his downfall can be tied to a broken axel on his truck.

Best laid plans and all that …

Jabberwock on February 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

nothing fishy here. Keep moving.

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Douche often.

unclesmrgol on February 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

nothing fishy here. Keep moving.

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Riiiight ‘cuz his body would have been no evidence whatsoever so they had to “plant” his DL.

I bet you believe that the Feds or the “six, dancing, Hasidic Jews” outside of the WTC left a hijacker’s passport at the scene, too, because it was so obvious that there were no 19 hijackers and the government was just using MK-ULTRA to make everyone think that 9/11 actually occurred.

The WTC is actually still standing. The military is just using this new weapons system that makes things appear to disappear.

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

lester, it’s time for your violin lesson! on February 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

We really need to invent an IQ for you.

The Left’s support of Dorner is well documented, unlike your alleged intelligence.

H

Del Dolemonte on February 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I know I know…crazy — I just all full o’ crazy this mornin”/

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Duly noted that you are the first person to rant about Jews and the WTC. Congratulations on Tina Fey-ing yourself.

MelonCollie on February 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

RWM; i am just expressing my increasing level of mistrust in the stories that we are fed.

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

BL@KBIRD on February 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

No, he still has to face the Judge.

unclesmrgol on February 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Piers Morgan hardest hit.

HondaV65 on February 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Then why did he deserve to die?

Bishop on February 13, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I don’t think the word “deserve” is used or inferred correctly.

It makes much better sense to phase it as:…..wait for it…..

The consequences of his chosen actions resulted in his death. The choice of life and death were his to control, not that he deserved or not deserved to die. He chose to take the path of death.

belad on February 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Piers Morgan hardest hit.

HondaV65 on February 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Not literally, unfortunately. |-}

MelonCollie on February 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Maybe so that they could show some modicum of restraint? ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

With all due respect Ted, a shoot-out with Fish and Game officials, two officers already down, one most likely dying on the scene, and you’re calling for restraint? The fluid process was to call for his immediate surrender, or take this animal down—and he was given the choice. Officials can’t wait for nightfall and risk further lives knowing full well Dorner was willing to take/kill/murder more of those doing their jobs. The end results are fully justified imo.

Rovin on February 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

If there is no definitive DNA identification of the body as Dorner his wacko OWS followers will raise him up as the ghost of Joaquin Murrieta and some nutjob copy cats will start shooting cops from ambush.

xkaydet65 on February 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

mythicknight on February 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Perhaps you should find a new site where you can be entertained with “surprises”.

Try that, why don’tcha?

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

And, hidden in that, your belief that, deep down, Dorner’s rage was justified.

After having watched lefties doing the same thing you are doing here for days on end in the LA Times, the code is unmistakable.

unclesmrgol on February 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Yes, he’s resigned to death. My point is that he knew the endgame and was planning on not being taken alive.
Last week, when I read his manifesto and broke it down, it was obvious where this was heading.

The only thing that would have surprised me yesterday would have been IF HE HAD SURRENDERED.

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Best laid plans and all that …

Jabberwock on February 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

His plan plain old sucked. He fancied himself a Sooper Ninja but failed to hijack a boat, botched commandeering a cabin, failed at holding maids hostage, and went out in a blaze–sans glory. Fist.Full.Of.Fail.

Or, as Del might say:

Dorner-

Christien on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Murder committed on live TV after trying to gag the media

mythicknight on February 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Your second statement directly contradicts your first, but being a Democrat, you’re too dim to realize that.

They did gag the media; the helicopters were not allowed within several miles of the cabin. As a result, there was no “murder committed on live TV”, because there was no live TV available.

Or were you watching a different channel? We don’t get that channel here on Planet Earth. Tell us what channel actually showed the cops murdering Dorner.

H

Del Dolemonte on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Says the guy who wanted the authorities to leave except for two people stationed outside the cabin in a pup tent. Sorry but on top of the individuals he killed in LA, the man had just killed a deputy at the cabin, had been involved in a shoot out, and had taken two individuals hostage for a period of time. Leaving police tactics aside, why would you give this guy a tactical pause- so that he could re-load or booby-trap the cabin? So that he could kill a few more people?

Happy Nomad on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

The funeral for the Riverside police officer is today.
He had nothing to do with the LAPD or that liberal cesspool called Los Angeles.

For all of his bluster and bravado and crybaby victimhood manifesto garbage, Djorner was a coward.

He said he was going to take on the LAPD, then he runs aways, hides, and kills innocent people.

MichaelGabriel on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:22 AM

If he had surrendered, the Left and the Media (but, I repeat myself)would have turned his trial into a spectacle that would have made Ringling Bros, Barnum & Bailey envious.

kingsjester on February 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Wouldn’t call the whole affair a win for enforcement. Can’t wait to hear the Rev Jess and Al.

StevC on February 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

ted c on February 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I don’t trust the media either, but, in this case, we have Dorner’s manifesto.

I am sure that some group will sue, if necessary, to ensure that the autopsy report is released. His own mum could ask for a private autopsy by an independent, forensic pathologist. Of course, she allegedly was seen eating chips and drinking wine during the standoff so I am not sure that she is that interested. OTOH, if he was “murdered,” then she might be envisioning a payday.

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM

K-8 Assault Scissors:

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I would have thought an assault scissor would have a pointy end?

trs on February 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Excuse me, but it was going to be dark within an hour or two. Dorner shot himself, anyway, and might have set the fire himself.

What kind of restraint did you want to see? This killer had to be neutralized, and if he chose to die and not surrender, then fine.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Dorner is alive.

p0s3r on February 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

…you may have a point….this license looks pretty “fishy” to me.

….this is clearly the work of Bush/Cheney and the Jewish lobby.

Baxter Greene on February 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM

xkaydet65 on February 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM

For nutters, nothing is ever definitive.

I have watched a couple episodes of The Following and thought it was silly, but now with the strange way the left and rupauls have lost their minds over this guy, it wouldn’t surprise me if there were copy cat murders.

Blake on February 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Asphalt justice….

trs on February 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Maybe I’ve watched too many Bourne movies, but I’ll believe once the body has been properly identified.

vcferlita on February 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

…and their imagination gone wild (as usual) trying to invent support from left for Dorner.

lester on February 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Speaking of “inventing”, did you ever find any evidence of me actually saying:

rogerb and his opinion on how gangs rarely use guns (yes, it sound as stupid as you think) oddly absent.

lester on December 26, 2012 at 12:16 PM

You didn’t, of course, and everyone knows it.

What were you saying about “inventing”, btw?

rogerb on February 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I would have thought an assault scissor would have a pointy end?

trs on February 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM

That would be dangerous! Just because DHS advises use of scissors against a nutcase school shooter doesn’t mean they intend anyone to actually be hurt.

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Overkill. Use scissors and go for those beady little eyes.

katy the mean old lady on February 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

K-8 Assault Scissors:

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Go tacticool…………………

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Dorner murdered black people, asian people, white people, latino people — he was all about the Rainbow. Jackson/Sharp, Inc., should be proud!

Blake on February 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Drivers license…teeth identification…

“What difference does it make now?”
trs on February 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Dorner is alive.

p0s3r on February 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Here we go.

katy the mean old lady on February 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM

How do we know whether Dorner is or isn’t a “Jason Bourne?”

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh . . . . . . . . . . (insert dramatic music, here)

listens2glenn on February 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The funeral for the Riverside police officer is today.
He had nothing to do with the LAPD or that liberal cesspool called Los Angeles.
MichaelGabriel on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

He was sitting in his car at a stoplight when Dorner killed him.

Yep, Dorner killed an unarmed woman and man sitting in their car, then killed another man in another county who was on duty as a county sheriff’s deputy. Dorner was a coward and a loser.

The world is better off with that trash disposed of!

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Asphalt justice….

trs on February 13, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Basement verdict.

Jabberwock on February 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM

He had plenty of chances to put on sack cloth and ashes but refused.

Christien on February 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Now he’s in a sack…as ashes.

His choice.

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Just a public reminder that this is the guy who theoretically was taken out last night, from his manifesto:

I will conduct DA operations to destroy, exploit and seize designated targets. If unsuccessful or unable to meet objectives in these initial small scale offensive actions, I will reassess my BDA and re-attack until objectives are met. I have nothing to lose. My personal casualty means nothing. Just alike AAF’s, ACM’s, and AIF’s, you can not prevail against an enemy combatant who has no fear of death. An enemy who embraces death is a lose, lose situation for their enemy combatants.
Hopefully you analyst have done your homework. You are aware that I have always been the top shot, highest score, an expert in rifle qualifications in every unit I’ve been in. I will utilize every bit of small arms training, demolition, ordnance, and survival training I’ve been given.
Do you know why we are unsuccessful in asymmetrical and guerrilla warfare in CENTCOM theatre of operations? I’ll tell you. It’s not the inefficiency of our combatant commanders, planning, readiness or training of troops. Much like the Vietnam war, ACM, AAF, foreign fighters, Jihadist, and JAM have nothing to lose. They embrace death as it is a way of life. I simply don’t fear it. I am the walking exigent circumstance you created.
The Violence of action will be HIGH. I am the reason TAC alert was established. I will bring unconventional and asymmetrical warfare to those in LAPD uniform whether on or off duty. ISR is my strength and your weakness. You will now live the life of the prey. Your RD’s and homes away from work will be my AO and battle space. I will utilize every tool within INT collections that I learned from NMITC in Dam Neck. You have misjudged a sleeping giant. There is no conventional threat assessment for me. JAM, New Ba’ath party, 1920 rev BGE, ACM, AAF, AQAP, AQIM and AQIZ have nothing on me. Do not deploy airships or gunships. SA-7 Manpads will be waiting. As you know I also own Barrett .50′s so your APC are defunct and futile.
You better have all your officers radio/phone muster (code 1) on or off duty every hour, on the hour.
Do not attempt to shadow or conduct any type of ISR on me. I have the inventory listing of all UC vehicles at Piper Tech and the home addresses of any INT analyst at JRIC and detachment locations. My POA is always POI and always true. This will be a war of attrition and a Pyrrhic and Camdean Victory for myself. You may have the resources and manpower but you are reactive and predictable in your op plans and TTP’s. I have the strength and benefits of being unpredictable, unconventional, and unforgiving. Do not waste your time with briefs and tabletops.

Dorner also claimed to have personal database info on his ‘high value targets’ as he called them, alluding to terrorizing their spouses and children. So yeah, he kinda shouldn’t have gone all Jihadist against the LAPD. He fought the law and the law won.

RepubChica on February 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM

TGDD Thank God Dorner Died. A live Dorner would have become a black folk hero a la O J Simpson and might have even beaten the rap. A trial would have become a tour-de-force of ‘white villainy’ accusations-perhaps even blaming Bush.

MaiDee on February 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I would have thought an assault scissor would have a pointy end?

trs on February 13, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Absolutely not! You would be running toward the bear.

katy the mean old lady on February 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Time for Obamanure to invite disenfranchised #TeamDorner members to the WH to heal up the nation.

Western_Civ on February 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Blake on February 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

He had a thing against lesbian law enforcement officers, too. Too much testosterone for his liking.

RepubChica on February 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

He had plenty of chances to put on sack cloth and ashes but refused.

Christien on February 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Now he’s in a sack…as ashes.

His choice.

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Bwahahahaha…I love it!

MaiDee on February 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM

+100!

Our legal system is such a buswreck I would not have denied the possibility of him walking out the door a free man, with a $hit-eating grin on his ugly monkey face for the cameras, while the families of the slain cops wept.

MelonCollie on February 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Amerikan Che t shirts…?

d1carter on February 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Piers Morgan hardest hit.
HondaV65 on February 13, 2013 at 11:20 AM

His viewership cut by half.

whatcat on February 13, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Now he’s in a sack…as ashes.

His choice.

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Exactly. Thanks for catching my drift.

Christien on February 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM

kingsjester on February 13, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Yeppers, but, in the end, he made the choice. The idea that the LE community has to play a game of “wait him out” while he is shooting them is absurd and I’m surprised that so many people do not see that.

As an aside on the use of deadly force and law enforcement, in Tennessee v Garner, 471 US 1 (1985), the Supreme Court held that law enforcement is only permitted the use of such force against dangerous suspects, who are in flight, when killing the suspect is “necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.”

In Fourth Amendment cases, the Supreme Court has stressed that “the use of deadly force to prevent the escape of all felony suspects, whatever the circumstances, is constitutionally unreasonable. It is not better that all felony suspects die than that they escape. Where the suspect poses no immediate threat to the officer and no threat to others, the harm resulting from failing to apprehend him does not justify the use of deadly force to do so. It is no doubt unfortunate when a suspect who is in sight escapes, but the fact that the police arrive a little late or are a little slower afoot does not always justify killing the suspect. A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead.”

Deadly force was held not justified where a suspect’s vehicle was “moving slowly and in a non-aggressive manner, could not have hit any of the officers, and was stationary at the time of the shooting.” Kirby v Duva, 530 F.3d 475, 482 (6th Cir. 2008). Also, in Smith v Cupp, 430 F.3d 766, 774-75 (6th Cir. 2005), the Court held that suspect who had taken control of officer’s patrol car, although he was in possession of a dangerous weapon, “was not threatening the lives of those around him.”

Given the fact that a) he had killed an officer at the final shootout site, b) sent another officer to ICU where he is in critical condition, and c) continued to shoot from the cabin, lethal force could be used because:

1. It was “necessary to prevent the escape;”

AND

2. Officers had “probable cause to believe that the suspect posed a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officers or others.”

While I would prefer that LE not use lethal force because I don’t support state-sponsored killings, I have no problem with using it if the alternative is the deaths of more innocent people. LE would have been completely within the law to take him down.

Be back later.

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Los Angeles officially becomes a Dystopian nightmare.

SWalker on February 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Good article and you’re right in saying that the vast majority of white middle class folks in LA (forget the rest of the country) doesn’t really grasp the sheer scale of LAPD corruption and its pedigree.

Some folks thought you were justifying mass murder. Way I read it you were pointing out why some people would be cheering on a psychopath. Doesn’t make it right, but like with OJ, one can understand.

CorporatePiggy on February 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

RepubChica on February 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

And the woman had been so patient with him. Right after he got his first unsatisfactory eval from her, he then invented the kicking allegation.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Terrorism (n)

Systematic use of violence to create a general climate of fear in a population and thereby to bring about a particular political objective.

Dorner was a domestic terrorist.

It is the Obama policy to kill American citizen terrorists without trial.

Stop whining, liberals, this is your dear leaders’ method of operation.

MichaelGabriel on February 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM

trs on February 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

But it’s California and think of the cost of overtime with all their budget problems!

Of course maybe that’s why you suggested a tent.

moo on February 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Bear in mind, too, that Dorner never attacked – never even came close to – his sworn ‘enemies; those who had “taken his name”. He never even tried to get to them.
EVERY person he killed was completely unconnected to him. A stranger. An innocent caught up in his evil fantasy.

Not only was he a coward…but a failure as well. A loser.

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM

MelonCollie on February 13, 2013 at 11:19 AM

It was pure snark.

Get your sarcasm-dar fixed.

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

The funeral for the Riverside police officer is today.

MichaelGabriel on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

…maybe the Doner defenders can hook up with the Westboro Baptist Church and they could picket it?????

Baxter Greene on February 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

My bad.

Usually when these things are said they are not meant snarktastically?

MelonCollie on February 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Besides the well-documented Dorner Love from the usual suspects like the Kos Kidz, a “mainstream news source” (the LA Times) has plenty of Leftist support for Dorner in this article’s comments:

Some samples:

I’m glad he was able to take a few more out before it was over but was hoping he would escape and attack again a few months later.

RIP Rambro.

LAPD SHOT MORE PEOPLE AND DESTROYED MORE PROPERTY THAN DORNER.. THATS A NUMERICAL IMPERICAL MEASUREABLE FACT..

Plenty more Assault-Grade Stupid comments at the link!

Del Dolemonte on February 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Technically incorrect; one of the people he killed was the daughter of a retired cop who had been helping Dorner in his attempt to get reinstated to the LAPD. Dorner then later called the father, after murdering his daughter (and her fiancee), and taunted him.

Del Dolemonte on February 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

[RepubChica on February 13, 2013 at 11:34 AM]

That’s if the body is Dorner’s. I don’t credit him with an overabundance of brains but it wouldn’t be difficult to set up a way to make it look like he was there. In checking for lamest plan I’d at least want know that there wasn’t a bomb shelter at the cabin and I’d run some dogs around the area just as a check.

I’ll wait until they ID the body before I say The Law won.

Dusty on February 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Hey folks, take it easy on this guy. All he did was “bring a gun to a knife fight!”

Don L on February 13, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I’ll wait until they ID the body before I say The Law won.

Dusty on February 13, 2013 at 11:48

Hey Dusty, if they’d fake the body, don’t you suppose they’d also fake the ID?

Don L on February 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Don’t call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Makin the tears rain down like a MON-soon
Listen to the bass go BOOM
Explosion, overpowerin
Over the competition, I’m towerin
Wreckin shop, when I drop these lyrics that’ll make you call the cops
Don’t you dare stare, you betta move
Don’t ever compare
Me to the rest that’ll all get sliced and diced
Competition’s payin the price

[Chorus:]

I’m gonna knock you out (HUUUH!!!)
Mama said knock you out (HUUUH!!!)
[REPEAT 4X]

Don’t u call this a regular jam
I’m gonna rock this land
I’m gonna take this itty bitty world by storm
And I’m just gettin warm
Just like Muhummad Ali they called him Cassius
Watch me bash this beat like a skull
Cuz u know I had beef wit
Why do u riff with me, the maniac psycho
And when I pull out my jammy get ready cuz it might go
BLAAAAW, how ya like me now?
The river will not allow
U to get with, Mr. Smith, dont riff
Listen to my gear shift
I’m blastin, outlastin
Kinda like Shaft, so u could say I’m shaftin
Old English filled my mind
And I came up with a funky rhyme

[Chorus]
[LL]

Breakdown!!!

Shadow boxin when I heard you on the radio (HUUUH!!!)
I just don’t know
What made you forget that I was raw?
But now I got a new tour
I’m goin insane, startin the hurricane, releasin pain
Lettin you know that you can’t gain, I maintain
Unless ya say my name
Rippin, killin
Diggin and drillin a hole
Pass the Ol’ Gold

[Chorus]

Shotgun blasts are heard
When I rip and kill, at WILL
The man of the hour, tower of power, I’ll devour
I’m gonna tie you up and let you understand
that I’m not your average man
when I got a jammy in my hand
DAAAAAM!!!!! Oooooohh!!
Listen to the way I slaaaaay, your crew
Damage (UHH) damage (UHH) damage (UHH) damage
Destruction, terror, and mayhem
Pass me a sissy so suckas I’ll slay him
Farmers (What!!!) Farmers (What!!!)
I’m ready (we’re ready!!!)
I think I’m gonna bomb a town (get down!!)
Don’t u neva, eva, pull my lever
Cuz I explode
And my nine is easy to load
I gotta thank God
Cuz he gave me the strength to rock
HARD!! knock you out, mama said knock you out

tom daschle concerned on February 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Hmmm… I generally always have my driver’s license on my person when I’m outside of my residence. How did Dorner’s body char, but his driver’s license was conveniently found? That doesn’t sound right. This smells of another ‘false flag’, but why target a police officer?

I don’t have enough information to make any kind of valid observation…other than it doesn’t sound or feel right.

xmanvietnam on February 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM

This guy had a lot wrong with him, but I have to say if it’s true police deliberately set fire to the building – knowing that this guy (Dorner or not) clearly wasn’t going to surrender, and that odds were good he wouldn’t just be smoked out – that’s very disturbing. That’s completely different from shooting a suspect aiming a gun at you.

Waggoner on February 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I’ll wait until they ID the body before I say The Law won.

Dusty on February 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

True. We’ll see soon enough through dental records, but I can’t imagine how he’d get away unseen surrounded on all sides as he was, unless he escaped by tunneling his way beneath the house. That’s an unlikely scenario to me.

RepubChica on February 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Not only was he a coward…but a failure as well. A loser.

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

applies to romney too, doncha think?

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

xmanvietnam on February 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM

A body can char without catching fire, like overcooking a steak. Also, it’s reported the remains were found in the basement, which tells of a concrete or dirt floor. Depending on where the ID was, in relation to something that doesn’t burn, it’s possible the card could survive relatively intact.

Hope that wasn’t too graphic a depiction.

Liam on February 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Remember that the Bill of Rights was developed as the Colonies came out from under the punishing dictatorship of King George III. They were developed as protection against an over-reaching government and tyranny.

These rights are outlined, not as a gift from the government, but as a gift from the Creator (by whatever name you choose to use.) The founders did not ‘grant’ these rights to Americans, they acknowledged that these rights belonged to everyone and could not be taken away by any government.

As such, there is no Constitutional process, or Executive Order that can eliminate these rights, because they are inherent to all people, as a part of their very existence. If any of these rights are ‘taken away’ by whatever means, then people become less than people, they become chattel.

By definition and structure, the founding fathers never intended the Bill of Rights to be ‘repealed’ because they are not granted by the government. That’s why they were treated as a document separate from the Constitution; to ensure that some future dictator did not succeed in destroying those rights.

xmanvietnam on February 13, 2013 at 12:14 PM

applies to romney too, doncha think?

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Romney is retired, wealthy, and presumably happy.

Dorner is a dead terrorist.

There is a difference.

MichaelGabriel on February 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM

applies to romney too, doncha think?

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

and Hillary.

Wagthatdog on February 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM

xmanvietnam on February 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM

In a wallet. In a pocket. Body may have been on top of wallet in a pocket.
Pretty good protection there.
As far as I can tell, no one said it was in pristine condition.

Jabberwock on February 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I know that – but she was “technically” unconnected.
In fact, I doubt that she knew who dorner was or why she was being murdered.

If dorner was a man – if he had any guts at all – he would have gone directly for her father.

Dorner was a coward and a loser.

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

applies to romney too, doncha think?

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM

You’re a disgusting little shyte.

Were you there – carrying a sign praising dorner and wanting him to kill some more cops?

I’ll bet you’re part of #teamdorner, aren’t you? That seems like your speed.

Why don’t you just FOAD, you useless piece of tripe.

Solaratov on February 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM