CNN: Could Rubio sipping that water be a career-ender?

posted at 7:21 pm on February 13, 2013 by Allahpundit

And so, at long last, American media reaches peak moron. I’m just thankful that Newsbusters was there to capture it. They’ve waited years for this moment and now, finally, it’s here. Cherish it, guys.

CNN’s excuse? Satire, of course. The sort of satire for which CNN is world renowned.

“We are joking, it was a tease,” CNN Public Relations wrote to POLITICO, via Twitter.

“It was simply a tease (posing a question) leading up to a segment with our political contributors—when Wolf [Blitzer] specifically said no one thinks this will be a career ender,” CNN spokesperson Edie Emery later told POLITICO via email.

Judge for yourself whether Blitz was playing for laughs. I confess, as I was writing this post this morning, I thought maybe I was being the teensiest bit unfair in indicting the media for peeing themselves over Rubio’s quick-sip. Sure, they had devoted thousands of times more coverage to it than it deserved, but they weren’t really “taking it seriously.” Then I saw the AP’s article, and then I saw this. Vindication.

Rubio’s still having fun with it too:

Exit question: Is this headline set the media’s version of “cleverness” or just a sly way to impugn him to really, really low-information voters?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Too funny! Get your Rubio Bottle!

KCB on February 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM

JetBoy on February 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM

so says a former member of her “fan base”

duuuuuude. you have no cred on Sarah. Just shut up about it already.

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

It’s fluoridated isn’t it?

Buck Turgidson on February 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Too funny! Get your Rubio Bottle!

KCB on February 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM

ROFL!

22044 on February 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Too funny! Get your Rubio Bottle!

KCB on February 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM

not good. you could photoshop anything onto that logo.

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM

The real problem with the speech was that he promoted affirmative-action and Medicare as good examples of big-government.

I am a fan of Rubio. But he needs to take a stand and stop trying to walk the line between TP and Republican. Make a choice. He is going to be forced to insult evangelical hard-liners one day and they will not forgive him. He needs to be honest about his beliefs about the party rubes…of which he is not.

JetBoy on February 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Your concerns are cosmetic. Marco Rubio’s real challenges are based in extremism. That is to say he will be opposed vociferously and ethnically from the right. You know this. He pretends to believe in the same dead-end extremist ideas as TP-radicals. But he is not a radical. He’s a performer, a good one.

I hope he pulls ahead of the extremist crowd soon enough to avoid conservative Birthers, bigots and anti-Hispanic loudmouths.

Capitalist Hog on February 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

“I figured I was better off just taking that water and taking the hit for it then being unable to pronounce my words. It’d been a long day at work, we’d already done an 18-minute recording in Spanish — and you know, my mouth got dry, what can I say? But I was happy overall with what we were able to deliver.”

The logistics of the entire Spanish pandering speeches is questionable. Was the English version live? Will they pre-record a Spanish version earlier in the day for all his major speeches?

sauldalinsky on February 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Red Creek on February 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I do not always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis….the most interesting candidate in the world. Coulda made a first class ad out of it.

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM

You nailed it CW: Most Americans have forgotten that there was always a “Aristocracy vs Peasant” class.

In Mexico & Cuba, it was the Castilians vs Indians, in the Caribbean, it was mostly “Día vs noche” (Light skinned vs Dark Skinned)…Not exactly unlike now, but it was a hell of a lot rougher then as compared to even now.

BlaxPac on February 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM

anti-Hispanic loudmouths.

Capitalist Hog on February 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

why do people who oppose amnesty automatically get labeled “anti hispanic”
your borrowing a tactic from the left.

I’m hispanic. I want our current immigration laws to be enforced.

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

What next? CNN will do an expose on Latinos and why they drink more water.

iceman1960 on February 13, 2013 at 8:31 PM

If i had to fault Rubio on *anything* it’ll be delivering any response in *any* language other than English.

OTOH, I feel that way about *any* candidate or officeholder….English has been and will be the language of the US.

Does this mean you can’t have *some* documentation for other languages? Sure, but once you devolve into a Tower of Babel and not encourage a standardize communication for the citizens, you make people LESS than Americans.

BlaxPac on February 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Wishcasting, plain and simple.

alchemist19 on February 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Gee, you mean Latino’s drink water like the rest of the human population? Wow, that’s something new! (/sarc)

Do wise Latina’s drink water too? CNN should find out!

Kingfisher on February 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Yeah… that sounds about right.

CPT. Charles on February 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Dealt with a number of Cubans over the years, in some pretty awful parts of the world, too. One phrase comes to mind, told to me by a very senior Cuban military officer…when asking how one is doing,the Cuban reply was often “Pasando para el blanco.” said with a smile and chuckle.

Even the most staunch Commie Cuban could not ignore that little divide between light and dark.

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM

absolutely.

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I’m hispanic. I want our current immigration laws to be enforced.

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

No, you’re an idiot.

BigWyo on February 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM

It’s fluoridated isn’t it?

Buck Turgidson on February 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM

That explains sooo much on sooo many levels….

Where is Colonel Bat Guano when we really need him?

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Do wise Latina’s drink water too? CNN should find out!

Kingfisher on February 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I suspect Sotomayor belts back 151 Bacardi whenever she can. How else can she cope with the rest of the Big Bench Bunch, most well above her ability range?

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Would a drink of water end Obama’s career?

That really is the essential question bullies in the media need to answer.

Speakup on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 PM

It wasn’t a joke. It a test balloon. Remember: Everything you see in the news, except for MAYBE Fox News, is presented in a manner that is good for Democrats and bad for Republicans.

famous amos on February 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM

The people who run FNC hate conservatives as much s Obama does.

bw222 on February 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Is serious, this article just shows desperation for something to kabitch about.

Winning!!!!!

avagreen on February 13, 2013 at 8:46 PM

CNN has morphed into The Onion. Geez! We are screwed.

tom0508 on February 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

My post didn’t get posted….
Test

avagreen on February 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Just a little preview of what the Marxist press has in store for anyone who tries to take on that drunken old hag Shrillery in 2016. She’ll be falling down piss drunk again with a martini in each hand, and they’ll still be talking about Rubio’s “career-ending” drink of water. The only thing worse than that? The voting public will buy it. All of it.

Rational Thought on February 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Will try again.

If this article is serious, it shows desperation in trying to find something to kabeach about. (changed spelling)

Winning!!!!!

avagreen on February 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I’m hispanic. I want our current immigration laws to be enforced.

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

No, you’re an idiot.

BigWyo on February 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Nuh uh! Nuh uh! Yer a stoopid big doodie head time a zillion! I win the argument!

You’re a genius with those convincing counter arguments… and everyone is laughing WITH you… /sarc

CapnObvious on February 13, 2013 at 8:50 PM

What Rubio should have done. Drink!

Bmore on February 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Or should that be *clink!* ? 7% ruling please.

Bmore on February 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM

B, *clink!* ;-)

tommy71 on February 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM

The fact that Rubio is milking this for all its worth is pretty hilarious. The water bottle idea is genius.

Illinidiva on February 13, 2013 at 9:06 PM

renalin, your psychiatrist is calling.

Schadenfreude on February 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I pretty much thought all of CNN was satire.

Marxism is for dummies on February 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM

if roobio runs in 2016 the percentage of the hispanic vote will decrease. bank on it.

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Nah. He’ll do better than Romney.

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Drink up baby!

I found his wiping sweat from his chin and the sides of his face multiple times more annoying.

mechkiller_k on February 13, 2013 at 9:31 PM

The Water Bottle That Killed Obama.

Coming to theaters January 21, 2017.

22044 on February 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Rubio’s reply, when questioned by Georgie Boy on ABC this morning was spot on and I doubt he’ll be asked about it again. Just in case you missed it, when asked about the drink he laughed and replied, “It’s Gods way of reminding you you’re human.”. The pity is God is reminding Rubio, who seems to know it, and not Obama, who believes he’s on the same level with God.

bflat879 on February 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I’m hispanic. I want our current immigration laws to be enforced.

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

As do we all…And for the most part, I trust Rubio to attempt reform more than the current Administration.

It may not be in time to close the gate on the 7-15 million we’re saddled with now, but I’ll take it.

BlaxPac on February 13, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Nah. He’ll do better than Romney.

Resist We Much on February 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Apparently the Spanish speech went over very well. So yes.. these things matter and he just has to get 35% or so.

Illinidiva on February 13, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Obama couldn’t carry Rubio’s water!

It did look awkward the way Rubio reached for the water and I knew the nabobs in the media would make a big deal of it. Awkwardly reaching for a water bottle is not acceptable and should be mocked. I mean, it’s not like he said corpseman or 57 states or blamed a terrorist attack on a lame movie, or called a terrorist attack workplace violence or anything of that nature.

Maybe Rubio was thinking “Ugh, another bottle of McCain’s water that I’ve got to carry.”

I thought that his speech was ok, lot’s of platitudes and light on actual ideas, but that’s to be expected in a Sotu rebuttal.

I like Rubio. However, if he wasn’t a dream-act, amnesty supporter, I’d like him more.

I wish they had shown Rand Paul’s speech. I liked what I read of it.

Ibanez Lotus on February 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM

3) An overzealous, overprotective “fan base” support similar to Sarah Palin

JetBoy on February 13, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Of course, Rubio’s going to have an overzealous and overprotective fan base, ready to slap down any criticism as coming from overzealous Palinistas. Just like Romney had before he got his ass handed to him.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 9:46 PM

That said, if anything he said in the speech was that memorable or game changing, this water thing would be forgotten. The media would be attacking him on his words.

But his speech was boilerplate “I grew up blah blah blah, my parents were immigrants, hard work, blah blah blah.

It was Jindalesque in that this speech just didn’t work.

portlandon on February 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Bingo, you overzealous and overprotective Palinista. Let’s always go back to our immigrant parents, who gave us the opportunity to seize the promise of a better tomorrow for us and for the world…

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 9:49 PM

coldwarrior on February 13, 2013 at 8:26 PM

LOL….They could show him wrestling bear, drinking gasoline…… tackling Pelosi

Red Creek on February 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM

LOL….They could show him wrestling bear, drinking gasoline…… tackling Pelosi

Red Creek on February 13, 2013 at 9:52 PM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on February 13, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Marco Rubio drinks water – Democrats: “Career over.”
Jack Lew has money in banks in the Caymen Islands – Democrats: “Hey, it’s cool — no biggie…”

Dopenstrange on February 13, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Rubio is doing a very good job of getting out the GOP message..Water bottle incident is weak tea for the Dems to b!tch about..:)

Dire Straits on February 13, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Drudge doing his part tonight to point out the hilarity and foolishness of this.

can_con on February 13, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Next… the enviro nuts will be mad about the use of a plastic bottle.

HellCat on February 13, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Looked to me like he was panicked because the teleprompter kept rolling. Now…who is famous for the prompter again? Lol
Where’s that Alaskan lady when you need her…what’s her name again?

greataunty on February 13, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Marco Rubio drinks water-reads teleprompter. Democrats: “Career over.”
Fixed it

greataunty on February 13, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Rubio should open a fundraising store like Obamas and start selling American made, BPA free Rubio water bottles.

OxyCon on February 13, 2013 at 11:30 PM

On another page:

Obama EPA closes down Poland Spring for multiple code violations.

profitsbeard on February 14, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Capitalist Hog on February 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Dorner? Is that you?

sartana on February 14, 2013 at 2:47 AM

They should bring out Carlos Palimino to defend him.

tomas on February 14, 2013 at 7:40 AM

rubio still sux (water)!

Pragmatic on February 14, 2013 at 8:57 AM

What kind of f*cking moron world cares if a guy on camera takes a pause to have a sip of water?

What a load of useless 24/7 news toilet sh*t this is.

Dave Rywall on February 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Dave Rywall on February 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I agree with you…

22044 on February 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Dave Rywall on February 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM

I agree with you…

22044 on February 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM
——

This is Hotair.

You may not agree with me.

Dave Rywall on February 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Maybe it’s more “anti-republican” than “low information” voters. Then again, were they already anti-republican, or does the media make them that way. I’d say the sheep are just going where they’re told.

MT on February 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Ok…this is all just absurd.
But slightly off topic…
what was the silver set in front of Boehner during the SOTU?
Maybe some official speaker stamp thing?
It wasn’t a fancy silver water setting, was it?

verbaluce on February 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM

What a load of useless 24/7 news toilet sh*t this is.

Dave Rywall on February 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Wow, mark your calendars. Drywall actually made some sense.

This is the American media, pal. Put Obama in that same spot 5 years ago, it would be cast as an endearing human moment of an aspiring young political superstar.

crrr6 on February 14, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I didn’t see the CNN “hit piece” on Senator Rubio…..I wasn’t at an airport when it was broadcast.

olesparkie on February 14, 2013 at 9:44 AM

So when football coaches get doused in Gatorade, does that end their careers? That usually happens when they WIN a playoff game!

Let’s see how long Wolf Blitzer would last in the Florida sun without drinking any water…

Steve Z on February 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM

CNN was, is and always will be, scum.

rplat on February 14, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Poland Springs; what it means to be from ……Miami? Nestle should exploit this. It’s the best bottled water ad yet! Ol’ Jeff Zucker really makin’ a splash(sarc) there at CNN, huh?

Boats48 on February 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Career-ender? CNN in an alternate universe. http://twitpic.com/c3phmb

The Zoo Keeper on February 14, 2013 at 11:17 AM

If a potential candidate is disqualified four years out because he took a drink of water while giving a speech on television then we are no longer a serious nation of serious people. We are frivolous, absurd, and shallow and little more than an example of Orwellian idiocy, ignorance, stupidity, and authoritarianism. In the past our enemies called us decadent.

Considering all that is precisely what the US has become… Yes, it could be a career-ender.

farsighted on February 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Could Rubio sipping that water be a career-ender?

In a nation that just re-elected Comrade Chairman Odumbo, the Socialist Boy King, who blames all problems on someone else, why yes it could be.

farsighted on February 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

CNN, please explain to me how taking a drink of water can kill your career, but being a pot-smoking cocaine user makes you Messiah of the Democratic Party?

Snitchmo on February 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM

BlaxPac on February 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM

There is nothing else to say, except, Bravo!!!!

tomshup on February 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Oh, I can’ tell you how much of a relief it is to find out this was all a joke. I mean really, can you imagine actually having a water drinker running for office?
Anywho kudows to CNN to uncover this “joke”. Big ole CNN slow clap and a tear maybe.
The most trust name in ruse.

onomo on February 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM

It’s fluoridated isn’t it?

Buck Turgidson on February 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM

It better be, or progressives will claim Rubio hates social justice and the poor children.

sparkle motion on February 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Is it legal to allow a clearly mentally challeged news agency such as CNN to jump the shark?

onomo on February 14, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I’m hispanic. I want our current immigration laws to be enforced.

renalin on February 13, 2013 at 8:28 PM

FAIL! If you want to respond to the label of “anti-Hispanic” don’t blame me. If I call you a moron will you answer to that too?

You blew it with the “I’m hispanic (sic)” bilge. As if that precludes you from being anti-Hispanic. Still, I don’t see how that’s relevant since I did not call you out specifically.

There are many anti-Hispanic people in both major parties and a lot in the Tea Party. Do you deny that? TP is the GOP Drunk Uncle. You know your side is losing when Karl Rove starts to sound good.

Like I have said before the rubes have got to go.

Capitalist Hog on February 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM

And so, at long last, American media reaches peak moron.

Oh, I don’t think I would go this far. I think that the Leftist Main Stream Media has yet to fully explore the dizzying heights of stupid of which they are capable.

O has three more years. We may need a Hubble Space Telescope program to see it by then.

dissent555 on February 14, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Don’t you think someone else in the room could have passed him the drink when he started reaching for it?

Fleuries on February 14, 2013 at 3:17 PM

In a time where they’re doing everything they can report to salvage Menendez, they’re claiming Rubio is done because of water?

The liberal media needs to be destroyed.

hawkdriver on February 15, 2013 at 3:56 AM

Rubio looked like a goofball grabbing for that water in such a clumsy way is all.

Sherman1864 on February 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Is it too late to level the racism card against lily-white limousine liberals who go after the Hispanic guy for not being as sophisticated as they are?

I watched a clip of Jon Stewart, who was talking about something-or-other, while pulling a gag throughout the bit where he kept drinking because he was so sweaty and hot. Camera would cut to him eating tortilla chips– because RACISM– and say something like, “Oh, I’m so stupid to be eating these salty tortillas when I’m on the air! How unbelievably stupid of me!” TORTILLAS = HISPANIC = RACISM.

How would Stewart have responded had it been Obama? Eating salty [insert African-American soul food example here]? Of course not. It’s amazing what one can get away with if one simply assents that Republicans are evil.

slknoerr on February 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM