Oops: WaPo retracts report Sarah Palin is going to Al Jazeera Update: Sarah snarks back

posted at 1:21 pm on February 12, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

What started as a condescending “cautionary tale” about Sarah Palin’s mixing of celebrity and politics quickly became a cautionary tale about mixing contempt for Sarah Palin with desperation for the traffic her name will generate.

Suzi Parker of the Washington Post‘s She the People blog reported Tuesday that Palin, in an attempt to “stay relevant,” would join the Al Jazeera America network, to “reach millions of devoutly religious people.” The only problem is the report comes from “The Daily Currant,” a parody site whose lead story today is “Catholic Church considering Jerry Sandusky for Pope.” A sampling of the original “report:”

After leaving Fox News, Palin said she was hoping to reach a broader audience with her message. When contacted by phone, Palin said Al Jazeera – with its extensive international network – offered her the best opportunity to broadcast to millions of people.

“As you all know, I’m not a big fan of newspapers, journalists, news anchors and the liberal media in general,” Palin said. “But I met with the folks at Al-JaJizzraa (sic) and they told me they reach millions of devoutly religious people who don’t watch CBS or CNN. That tells me they don’t have a liberal bias.”

Now, the original item has this correction appended to the top:

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this post incorrectly reported that Sarah Palin planned to contribute to the Al Jazeera America news network.

The article clips out the erroneous bits, but John Hayward has reproduced them as they were, with the silly quote and all:

Late last week Al Jazeera America announced the former vice-presidential candidate would be joining their news network.

“As you all know, I’m not a big fan of newspapers, journalists, news anchors and the liberal media in general,” Palin told the Web site The Daily Currant. “But I met with the folks at Al-Jazeera and they told me they reach millions of devoutly religious people who don’t watch CBS or CNN. That tells me they don’t have a liberal bias.”

E.M. Zanotti offers the upside:

The good news is, the Washington Post is still interested in digging up the hard news on failed Vice Presidential candidates from five years ago. They’re really that tenacious in their reporting. And you have to be in this day and age of the Internet and technology and smart phones and whatever. You really have to be at the top of your game on things that happened in 2008. They are important to the face of political discourse in America. And if you stop reporting them, Julianne Moore will have absolutely no reason to do a sequel to Game Change.

And, they’re dogged about it. More than an hour after other media reported the mistake, the Washington Post Twitter feed sent this out:

Iowahawk takes the downside:

Update: Sarah Palin responds:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

theotherone on February 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Maybe you should come out of your little Palin worship bubble more often. Then you would learn that most people do not see Sarah Palin as presidential material. Look, she is an inarticulate, buffoonish, unelectable, ill prepared, petty, divisive quitter, but other than that I think she’s fine. She (or whoever writes her Facebook posts) is right on most issues. We can like and agree with Palin, but not want her as our nominee or as the spokesperson for conservatism. She can’t even act professionally in TV interviews. It is embarrassing to watch her.

bluegill on February 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Since I am able to post at the top of this page, let me just add the following:

We should reject the nasty, personal hate that is directed at the former half-term governor Sarah Palin, but we should also recognize that the woman was a failure as a national candidate, and would guarantee a huge Democrat landslide if she were ever our nominee. We can speak respectfully of her, while rejecting the notion that she is even close to being in the same league as a Scott Walker, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan, et cetera.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM

We We We We, like this nitwit speaks for anyone outside their asylum.

tom daschle concerned on February 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM

You’re right, is not in the same league as Rubio or Ryan as she is far superior. No problem with Walker or Paul. Not sold on Jindal. I notice you have no response when asked about what you’d do under the circumstances she was under? Is it because you know she took the only responsible action by resigning and you’re so envious that you can’t bear to admit it?

topdawg on February 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM

theotherone on February 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM

bluegill on February 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM

The love is sooo thick here, tonight.

listens2glenn on February 13, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Many liberals get their “news” from the sardonic midget on The Daily Show, so I am not surprised the Washington Post could not tell fact from inanity.

All that seems to matter is whether it could be true, not whether it is. This is the solid journalism we have come to expect.

Irony is compounded when you consider the Obama shills in the DC media mocking the Islamic shills at Al Jazeera. That’s not even a parody.

virgo on February 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM

We We We We, like this nitwit speaks for anyone outside their asylum.

tom daschle concerned on February 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Must be all the tweeting shes done today. Eating away at what ever grey matter she still has.

Bmore on February 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM

When I read this sentence, I knew AllahPundit didn’t write this.

cptacek on February 13, 2013 at 1:07 AM

one of the problems that Mitt made and most of the GOPe including Rush im sorry to say is that most of those 47% don’t want to be takers. They are caught between two forces and are pawns. Mitt should have went after that 47% by promising them oppurtunity by declaring that crony capitalism is the root of the problem and that everyone would have a fair shake and oppurtunity.
unseen on February 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

You have a very good point here. My husband and I don’t make much and we don’t pay hardly any, if any, income taxes. But we aren’t on food stamps, WIC, etc., either, though probably eligible (actually, I don’t know if we are. Depends on if they use AGI, MAGI, etc., or just what is in your paycheck, and I’ve never checked) We don’t want government help. Just leave us alone and allow us to hand down to our son the fruits of our hard work.

cptacek on February 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM

We We We, like this nitwit speaks for anyone outside their asylum.

tom daschle concerned on February 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Bmore on February 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Y’know, there’s an entertainment factor to it. Bluegill has become such a parody of herself, that it’s amusing to read her diatribes, because you just never know what idiocy she’ll string together next as she claims to speak for “all conservatives”. It’s getting to be amusing, really.

Blather on, Bluegill. It’s kind of fun to see how you’ll beclown yourself next.

(I still maintain nobody could be that…absurd. It has to be someone putting on a show. It’s so over the top!!)

theotherone on February 13, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Cripes, bluegill is a mentally ill obsessive nut that lives in a fantasy bubble.

SparkPlug on February 13, 2013 at 3:43 AM

IF PALIN WERE THE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE, THE DEMOCRAT WOULD WIN IN A LANDSLIDE BIGGER THAN REAGAN’S 1984 VICTORY.

bluegill on February 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Bingo.

That’s what I’ve always suspected about you: smell the fear.

And last time I’ve checked, being defeated by the Dems is not so traumatic according to your own standards: after all, you’ve rooted for the losing pair last time…

You’re not a jealous woman, you’re just a GOP paid hack.

BabyGrace on February 13, 2013 at 5:51 AM

bluegill on February 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM

IT ISN’T WHETHER THE REPUBLICAN LOSES, IT’S BY HOW MUCH! IT DOESN’T MATTER THAT ROMNEY LOST! WHAT COUNTS IS THAT HE WAS ELECTABLE!!!!!!!!!!

Madness.

The fact that this hack apparently thinks that Hillary Clinton or Michelle Obama or whoever the Democrats put up in 2016 would win ALL FIFTY STATES (after eight years of Obama) if Palin were the GOP nominee (Mondale lost every single state except his own) is just icing on the cake.

Aitch748 on February 13, 2013 at 7:03 AM

You guys attack anyone for not bowing down to Sarah Palin and radio host Mark Levin. The Palin cultist Bluefox kind of lashed out at the always-polite Terry the other day for not agreeing with Levin. Your obsessive Palinista antics are getting out of control.

Let’s come together and focus on what we have in common, rather than attack anyone who opts out of joining the Sarah Palin worship cult, ok?

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I submit this post as exhibit #4,687,324 in making the case for why we didn’t deserve Palin and why she will never run for federal office again.

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM

So we don’t “deserve” the greatness of Palin if we don’t think she would be a competitive national candidate? Not sure I follow.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I’ve been down this road with you before. You are one of the most willfully intransigent douchebags ever to darken Hotair’s doorstep, but I’ll try to explain it to you again:

It has nothing to do with how “great” I believe Palin is or isn’t. She is a woman who happens to demonstrably share my values, beliefs, and principles. It’s all neither here nor there, as I don’t believe she will run for federal office. She’s now a much smaller piece of a much larger puzzle, and your twisted need to mention her every chance you get belies the assertion that she is “irrelevant.”

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

That’s all well and good, but don’t you think it’s disappointing that some people are conditioned by unhelpful radio hosts to attack any Republican not named Palin and to regard only her as acceptable?

I agree she likely won’t run again. I don’t have anything personal against Palin (though I don’t think she has what it takes to make it through a campaign); I criticize her mainly as a response to the cult-like following she has among some of this site’s readers.

Situation:
-Palin will not run.
-Hosts like Mark Levin get his sheep-like audience to hate most Republicans but Palin.
Result: not helpful in the effort to defeat Democrats and to nominate people who share our values and who can actually win.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I think it’s unhelpful that folks such as yourself hate Palin for some God-unknown reason that I can’t put my finger on.

That’s not it. I’m sure if you took a polygraph and said that, you’d honestly believe you were telling the truth. But there’s more to it than that. The cult of personality springing up around Dr. Ben Carson doesn’t seem to disgust you anywhere near as much, but he has quite a bit in common with Palin outside of the fact that he’s a black male neurosurgeon and she’s a white female politician/outdoors fanatic.

I was disgusted by a certain segment of Palin’s supporters who were so pissed off when she didn’t run because they thought she owed them something for supposedly “stringing them along,” but you seem to be disgusted by Palin’s supporters for supporting her in the manner in which they did. I don’t buy it, and furthermore, I think you’re fooling yourself.

Situation:
-Palin will not run.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Relying on the Republican party to field milquetoast candidates like Willard Milton Romney apparently isn’t very helpful either given the outcome of the 2012 election. But as long as Palin haters and libwits continue to engage in pointless argument-by-assertion concerning Palin or any other salient political topic, they will continue to NOT be part of whatever solution may emerge (and that solution will emerge from outside of the Republican Party).

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM

This from the AZZ who was on his knees for romneycare on this site for 4 years. YOU HAVE NO CREDIBILITY DOUCHE!

Danielvito on February 13, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Ah my good friend ddrintn – seems like you were saying similar things about Gov Palin at one point, hmmm?

Nope, never did.

Anyway, I’m happy that you are happy in seeing Obama re-elected – you were instrumental in helping us keep Romney out of the White House — how’s that working out for you so far?

Bradky on February 12, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I voted for your loser. Again. I’m delighted that your squish wing showed how feckless it is. Again.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Imagine the stories made up once Palin is POTUS in 2017.

Palin 2016

ChuckTX on February 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Hey @washingtonpost, I’m having coffee with Elvis this week. He works at the Mocha Moose in Wasilla. #suziparkerscoops #idiotmedia

What’s really sad is that the Maim-Stream Media have so brainwashed the people with third-grade kitsch that over half the people don’t realize that Palin was joking here. Next the media will say that Palin was holding a seance with Nancy Reagan to speak to the ghost of Elvis.

Steve Z on February 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Enough of your crap. You have proven to be a spineless wimp with no interest in honest debate. Asked a simple question about you would have done in Palin’s situation as governor, you have ignored and refused to answer the question, which a ridiculous course of action to take if you are going to criticize her for the actions she took. Your lack of response has proven that you know she made the right decision and yet your pathetic envy makes it impossible for you to acknowledge that. You are a joke and a pathetic hack. Good day.

topdawg on February 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Get hlp.

katy the mean old lady on February 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Mention Sarah’s name and get 4 pages of hot-tempered commentary in less than a day. This is why I love her.

“If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.”

Cricket624 on February 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM

The word is ‘counter-attack’.

As in; If YOU (and others) would stop attacking Sarah Palin and radio host Mark Levin, WE wouldn’t “counter-attack.”
Pardon me now, while I go kneel before my Sarah Palin altar.
I’m going to pray for forgiveness for you soul.

listens2glenn on February 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Situation:
-Palin will not run.

As Shakespeare once said: Me Thinks you doth protest too much!!!

logicman_1998 on February 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Imagine the stories made up once Palin is POTUS in 2017.

Palin 2016

ChuckTX on February 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Here’s an “oldie but goody.”

Why she turned me into a newt ! . . . . . . . . . . . . . I got better.”

Sarah 2016 ! . . . . . . Because I wanna see bluegill‘s scales fall off.

listens2glenn on February 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

As Shakespeare once said: Me Thinks you doth protest too much!!!

logicman_1998 on February 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … and again … (repeat, until the end of time)

listens2glenn on February 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

logicman_1998 on February 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Seriously? Now you’re posting the same thing under different names? Seek help.

topdawg on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

bluegill on February 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Barack Obama quit the Senate to run for president so we’re happy you finally acknowledge him as a quitter.

On another note, weak metrosexual sissies like you hate strong women so I’m sure Palin takes your comments as a compliment.

Kingfisher on February 13, 2013 at 11:35 AM

topdawg on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I think he just forgot to use the quote tag.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM

topdawg on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I think he just forgot to use the quote tag.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM

But I didn’t. . : )

listens2glenn on February 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Why are you so worried over any issues regarding a private citizen?

Whatever a person’s opinion of Palin might be, why is that different over the opinion of any other private citizen?

Maybe you’re so angry because Palin probably beat you up when you both were in elementary school. Maybe, you secretly love Palin and openly bash her to look good in front of your liberal friends.

We don’t want to “work together” with you or any other lazy a$$holes who’s only intention is to destroy the country and ruin whatever lives you can. You libs already have proven to hate black and brown-skinned people so now you’re focusing you attention to women?

Kingfisher on February 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM

bluegill on February 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Bought the msm meme hook line-n-sinker. Ya know, that hook’s gonna cause you problems later if you don’t git ‘er out.

RalphyBoy on February 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Situation:
-Palin will not run.

As Shakespeare once said: Me Thinks you doth protest too much!!!

logicman_1998 on February 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM

No, the situation is that right now no one can fire up the conservative base quite like Palin can. It’s not Palin’s fault if all the others are found wanting. It’s the fault of those others.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM

topdawg on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I think he just forgot to use the quote tag.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Wow, still going strong today I see…

The Therapist will see you now.

ToddPA on February 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM

If she is buffoonish, what does that make Obama? Tred softly.

Fuquay Steve on February 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM

The only buffoon on this site is the fish. He/she doesn’t add
anything to the discussion. Why does HotAir allow him/her to
defecate on their website?

Amjean on February 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

logicman_1998 on February 13, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Seriously? Now you’re posting the same thing under different names? Seek help.

topdawg on February 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I am not sure who you think I am…But I can assure you I am not who you think I am. When I commented earlier that was the first time I commented on this thread. The trouble with sanity in this world is there is not enough of it to go around.

logicman_1998 on February 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

bluegill on February 12, 2013 at 11:59 PM

She can’t be any more unelectable than that socialist you guys nominated who got his ass handed to him by Obama (the worst President in US history).

Couldn’t beat the worst President in US history!!!

HondaV65 on February 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM

logicman_1998 on February 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I didn’t see the Shakespeare line in your quote and the combination of having overlooked that and the lack of a quote tag around bluegill’s quote made it look like bluegill had signed in under your name and just copied-and-pasted a response they had already made.

topdawg on February 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM

logicman_1998 on February 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

As long as new people will be commenting here, this will be a recurring instance of confusion.

This comment:

listens2glenn on February 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

demonstrates the way most people here separate “copy & pasted” previous comments, that are being responded to.

You’re not obligated to do things that way, but it does help eliminate the confusion.

listens2glenn on February 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

logicman_1998 on February 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM

topdawg on February 13, 2013 at 1:36 PM

My Mistake….a thousand pardons. I will try to be more thorough in the future. My original comments was to remark that people who seem to be the most negative in comments about someone usually have some deep seated phobia about something. This Bluegill seems to be overly demonstrative in his opposition to Palin. Perhaps it is some deep rooted personality defect. I will say the left wing media seem to be obsessed with Palin. Usually that means feelings of self loathing.

logicman_1998 on February 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I wonder if all this Palin-hatred is contributing to global warming just as it affects meteors?

Just asking.

Kingfisher on February 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Note to bluegill:

The immortal words of Bill Engval apply to you…Here’s your sign!

Kingfisher on February 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

The only buffoon on this site is the fish. He/she doesn’t add
anything to the discussion. Why does HotAir allow him/her to
defecate on their website?

Amjean on February 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Maybe for the same reason I go to the range every week. So we can sharpen our aim and proficiency in dealing with the ilk.

PJ Emeritus on February 13, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Ah, I see sunfish has been here.

S. D. on February 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM

S. D. on February 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM

After reading the comments on this thread, there is one thing I can say about Palin: she certainly has a very special appeal among the less intelligent voters in our party’s base. She does have a following among the rube segment of the population. Can’t take that away from her.

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

The “projection” never quits with you, does it?

listens2glenn on February 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Kingfisher on February 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Long version.

S. D. on February 13, 2013 at 8:00 PM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

That’s more of a following than Mitt had.

ddrintn on February 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM

bluegill on February 13, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Since you have the average Palin supporter pegged so well, why don’t you describe to us the appeal Mitt Romney had as the party’s 2012 presidential nominee? How on earth did Mr. Electable fail as badly as Mitt did?

gryphon202 on February 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM

#idiotbluegill

NoLeftTurn on February 14, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Who would have thought the benchwarming suporters of ‘Conservative’ Willard would return so soon after stewing in their juices after the HISTORIC FAILURE they delivered last November? I guess hate is a powerful motivator even if it doesn’t make the person any smarter…

For the few that have FINALLY decided that the time to stop being lethargic has arrived, you should start HERE. Then, IF you agree with Brent Bozell’s summation AND you still have the will to do something about the sad state of affairs in America today, you WILL want to start looking for the closest TEA Party group to your location and go to one of their meetings. If nothjing else it will provide an eye opening education.

If not you, who?

It is SO EASY to get involved today. It wasn’t when I searched out my local chapter of the GOP over a decade ago, but I had realized that if I weren’t willing to get involved then I deserved the worst the corrupt-o-crats could deliver.

I am AGAIN going to the MIGOP Convention as THE elected delegate from my township [for the fourth time], which is being held later this month. I promise you that the politicians there will be made to sweat when I confront them and there will be absolutely no doubt in their minds as to whose ass they will have to kiss [as Allahpundit so colorfully puts it].

NEVER FORGET! America ALWAYS gets the government it DESERVES, and whiners win nothing!

DannoJyd on February 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM