Meet the man who shot Bin Laden

posted at 4:41 pm on February 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

I want to call this the feelgood story of the day but it’s the opposite. There are feelgood moments — Bin Laden ends up with a few extra postmortem bullet holes, and don’t miss the conversation the SEALs have on their way to the first briefing about the mission — but ultimately it’s the tale of a hero abandoned. No pension(!), no health care(!!), family troubles, little help transitioning to the private sector, and eternal worry about reprisals from jihadis. Everyone wishes they could have been the one to pull the trigger on Osama; see how you feel about that after the Esquire piece.

If you read only one eyewitness account today of the leader of Al Qaeda taking three bullets in the face, let it be this one.

The SEALs had nightscopes, but it was coal-black for bin Laden and the other residents. He can hear but he can’t see.

He looked confused. And way taller than I was expecting. He had a cap on and didn’t appear to be hit. I can’t tell you 100 percent, but he was standing and moving. He was holding her in front of him. Maybe as a shield, I don’t know.

For me, it was a snapshot of a target ID, definitely him. Even in our kill houses where we train, there are targets with his face on them. This was repetition and muscle memory. That’s him, boom, done.

I thought in that first instant how skinny he was, how tall and how short his beard was, all at once. He was wearing one of those white hats, but he had, like, an almost shaved head. Like a crew cut. I remember all that registering. I was amazed how tall he was, taller than all of us, and it didn’t seem like he would be, because all those guys were always smaller than you think.

I’m just looking at him from right here [he moves his hand out from his face about ten inches]. He’s got a gun on a shelf right there, the short AK he’s famous for. And he’s moving forward. I don’t know if she’s got a vest and she’s being pushed to martyr them both. He’s got a gun within reach. He’s a threat. I need to get a head shot so he won’t have a chance to clack himself off [blow himself up].

In that second, I shot him, two times in the forehead. Bap! Bap! The second time as he’s going down. He crumpled onto the floor in front of his bed and I hit him again, Bap! same place. That time I used my EOTech red-dot holo sight. He was dead. Not moving. His tongue was out. I watched him take his last breaths, just a reflex breath.

And I remember as I watched him breathe out the last part of air, I thought: Is this the best thing I’ve ever done, or the worst thing I’ve ever done?

The thought of Bin Laden standing there in the dark, disoriented, hearing the gunshots and melting with dread at what might be coming, is a small but satisfying bit of poetic justice for what people trapped in the Towers endured. Then, the shots. Quote: “His forehead was gruesome. It was split open in the shape of a V. I could see his brains spilling out over his face. The American public doesn’t want to know what that looks like.” I’m … not so sure that’s true, but okay. He ends up back at the base in Afghanistan, eating a breakfast sandwich while standing next to Bin Laden’s body and watching Obama announce the killing on TV. He gives the CIA agent who helped find Bin Laden, a woman you already know, the magazine that was in his gun when he shot him. Later, he retires from the service after 16 years (four short of pension eligibility), returns to civilian life, and has to cope with near-zero support from the government. Which, I assume, is why he’s talking about this now: It’s too dangerous to identify himself, as lucrative as that would be, but by publicizing his situation maybe he can shame the feds into doing better by their elite veterans.

Exit question: How can the guy who shot Bin Laden not be eligible for military health insurance?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The long article proves the US gov’t is really, really derelict.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM

…nor a pension

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 4:43 PM

This should expose Obama for the biggest Liar on Earth.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM

It is hard to contain my emotions reading this whole piece. Incredible, would rather read this than watch zero dark thirty.

jake49 on February 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM

“No one who fights for this country overseas should ever have to fight for a job,” Barack Obama said last Veterans’ Day, “or a roof over their head, or the care that they have earned when they come home.”

Liar Azzhole in Chief

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 4:44 PM

He has healthcare through the VA, but if he somehow doesn’t, I’ll gladly give up my benefits in favor of him.

Liam on February 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I never felt the desire. I wanted the guy waterboarded.

astonerii on February 11, 2013 at 4:45 PM

This story just doesn’t smell right to me on multiple levels. The more I read it, the more it sets off the BS detector. I’d be happy to be proved wrong, but for now I’m thinking that Esquire may have gotten rolled.

Hayabusa on February 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

My mistake. Reading the headline, I thought this would be an interview with Obama.

Mallard T. Drake on February 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Feelgood story of the day

This topic and the honoring of the Afghanistan seargeant are exemplars at what a tiny man Obama is.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Dad always tells me to try a 2 to head 1 to the chest type accuracy. Seals don’t even bother with the chest shots.

nobar on February 11, 2013 at 4:50 PM

this story just doesn’t smell right to me on multiple levels. The more I read it, the more it sets off the BS detector. I’d be happy to be proved wrong, but for now I’m thinking that Esquire may have gotten rolled.Hayabusa on February 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Ditto.

Dingbat63 on February 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM

It’s really a catch-22. If he identifies himself, he and his family will almost certainly be targeted by terrorists. But it would also instantly solve his financial problems, because he’d get enough donations from his fellow Americans to keep him and his family solvent for generations to come.

Good Solid B-Plus on February 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Don’t concern yourself with this question.

BobMbx on February 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Hayabusa on February 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM

In what ways? Be specific.

blatantblue on February 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM

They should set up an account to allow people to contribute to the seals. Maybe they could call it the Way To Go Dude! fund?

sharrukin on February 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM

In fact, the couple is officially separated, a common occurrence in ST6. SEAL marriages can be perilous. Husbands and fathers have been mostly away from their families since 9/11. But the Shooter and his wife continue to share a house on very friendly, even loving terms, largely to save money.

“We’re actually looking into changing my name,” the wife says. “Changing the kids’ names, taking my husband’s name off the house, paying off our cars. Essentially deleting him from our lives, but for safety reasons. We still love each other.”

Dear God, that’s more heartbreaking than anything else in this story.

Caiwyn on February 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM

There’s necessity in killing, but not glory. IMHO.

Paul-Cincy on February 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM

So I’ll be shipping them all to GITMO, seeing that my DHS Gestapo chief has declared veterans as a threat to the government.

There, they’ll be provided a roof, all the care they need, and won’t have to worry about getting a job.

BobMbx on February 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I’m not getting why someone would separate from the military at the 16+ year mark, instead of gutting out the last 3 or so years and retiring with pension and benefits intact. And without having a job lined up to boot.

I’ve spent some time around the private security contracting world, and trust me, the SEAL who freakin’ shot Bin Laden could write his own ticket wherever he wanted to go. He wouldn’t even have to carry a gun if he didn’t want to; any defense or security corporation would be privileged just to have that guy in the front office.

But the Shooter will discover soon enough that when he leaves after sixteen years in the Navy, his body filled with scar tissue, arthritis, tendonitis, eye damage, and blown disks, here is what he gets from his employer and a grateful nation:

Nothing. No pension, no health care, and no protection for himself or his family.

Why isn’t the VA taking care of his service-connected disabiities? For that matter, why didn’t he go before a med board and get a medical retirement.

His account contradicts that of Matt Bissonette, etc.

There are just too many problems here for me to take this story at face value. The whole article is based on anonymous sources, which doesn’t really lend much credibility, as far as I am concerned.

Hayabusa on February 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM

sharrukin on February 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I was thinking the same thing. We could set something up online and after a couple of weeks, have someone give the money to him.

The problem is… his need to stay anonymous. We need to find a rep or senator who would give him the money when the fundraiser is over.

If anyone deserves help… it’s this guy.

dforston on February 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Yep really revealing article…This government is abandoning it’s hero’s when they are off the battlefield..almost ignoring PTSD, not helping in finding them jobs in the civilian world..it’s a travesty…God bless this man and his family..i hope he gets his financial situation under control soon

sadsushi on February 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

If anyone deserves help… it’s this guy.

dforston on February 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Salman Rushdie manages to sell books and reap the profits in hiding from the same people, so I don’t imagine that its impossible.

sharrukin on February 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM

That guy should get the Medal of Honor.

JohnW on February 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM

May not have military health insurance, but the gift of Obamacare is there for the lad, aint that awesomeness enough? /

hillsoftx on February 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM

If he has disabilities from his service, he’s eligible for VA disability payments.
Given what he did, it would be nice if he could be given some sort of early retirement. However, pretty much everyone in the military knows you get the pension when you retire at 20 years (or more). I would guess there’s something psychological that made him decide to just quit at only 16 years. If he was having problems of some sort performing as a SEAL, he should have requested a transfer to a desk job for his last 4 years to get to retirement. But bottom line – he was only 4 years away from a 50% pension fo life. Why quit at that point?

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM

They should give that shooter the Medal of Honor.

JohnW on February 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Killing Osama, phew. Not a big deal here. Whom I would really love to contribute to the pension is the guy who will stick the last injection needle into Obama…

Archivarix on February 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM

We need to find a rep or senator who would give him split the money when the fundraiser is over.

Enhanced for accuracy.

hillsoftx on February 11, 2013 at 5:07 PM

dforston on February 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Would you really trust any politician to keep his anonymity?

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Here’s a question I’m struggling with:

Why should he get a pension at 16 years when other soldiers do not?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I guessIi’m jaded. I see a huge Esquire article and think huge GQ article, huge Rolling Stone article, huge Vanity Fair article. Never read one of the others that I could relate to. Not my fault.

DanMan on February 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I appreciate this servicemans service but thousands of those enlisted know what they have to do in order to get full benefits. Even in my civiilan job I had to be employed in good standing for a year beore I got full health benefits. If you know the terms and you dont meet them, how is that anyone elses fault?

Not saying this guy doesnt deserve all the help that hes owed. Any programs he qualifies for he should be able to use but the whole he doesnt get a pension because he quit four years early seems fair when Im sure their are millions of others who have to play by the same rules that are also tired or were tired of the things they seen and done.

Politricks on February 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Perhaps he’s got a clue from someone. One doesn’t expect to help the President’s boss assume room temperature and continue to draw breath unless one disappears from the Army radar.

Archivarix on February 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM

dforston on February 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Would you really trust any politician to keep his anonymity?

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM

A few… not many.

dforston on February 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I’d waive the 20 year rule for this guy.

rbj on February 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Here’s a question I’m struggling with:

Why should he get a pension at 16 years when other soldiers do not?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Exactly, killing Osama while a feel good thing for our country is no different from the soilder who was on the front line on some day that doesnt have an important date behind it.

Politricks on February 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Here’s a question I’m struggling with:

Why should he get a pension at 16 years when other soldiers do not?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Liar, you’re not “struggling” at all.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I’d waive the 20 year rule for this guy.

rbj on February 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM
—-

What about the guy who has PTSD because he shot a kid in some un-named battle? What about the thousands of others who have seen horrors as well?

Politricks on February 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Liar, you’re not “struggling” at all.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM

You have nothing meaningful to add to the discussion.

Do you feel that he should get his pension?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Politricks on February 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, in front of your very eyes parades the result of the US public schools system.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Politricks on February 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I tend to fall on this side of the debate. I mean, can we officially say that this guy “deserves more” his pension that the guy search for un-exploded mines in Iraq?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Do you feel that he should get his pension?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM

“Meaningful” is always indignant when you’re on the scene.

Not necessarily, on the pension…but see this, by the Liar in Chief, who was re-elected in part due to assigning glory to himself (the Osama killing being just one ex.).

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Hayabusa on February 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I agree. Something just isn’t right about this story.
A guy who could make it through SEAL training and probably most of 16 years in the Navy as a SEAL, and he quits 4 years short of a full pension and lifetime health benefits – and can’t find a job?

I do understand that the VA is slow in starting disability benefits – and that’s a bureaucracy problem that needs to be solved.

But I also don’t believe the “no help in finding a job” part. I spent several years working volunteer employer panels in the Transition Assistance Program seminars that ALL separating military people go through on their way out. EVERYONE separating from the military gets help offered to them to find jobs.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Fools, it’s not about the pension…it’s about a dereclict gov’t and CiC.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Here’s a question I’m struggling with:

Why should he get a pension at 16 years when other soldiers do not?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

If for no other reason than your murderous pals on the left and their Islamic terrorist friends will be hunting him for the rest of his life.

sharrukin on February 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

derelict

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

AP, I’d go one step further. How is any soldier with 16 years of service in not eligible for military(or ex military) health insurance?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Do you disagree with that sentiment?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

MIA CiC

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Do you disagree with that sentiment?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Turn on your brain. Your CiC is missing in action, a derelict of his duties, verbose, and absent in deed.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

MIA CiC

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

MIA, you fool? Obama has likely personally ordered the guy’s service to become Hell so he’d quit quietly and remain destitute.

Archivarix on February 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

this story is BS. no one serves for 16 years, leaves and then wonders why he lost his benefits, doesnt qualify for pension, etc.

the wife of any E-3 understands this stuff better than the guy in this article. esquire got taken for a ride.

chasdal on February 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

little help transitioning to the private sector,

SEALs do not have trouble transitioning to the private sector because of a lack of jobs. There is a network.

Unless he is mentally deficient, which it seems he is not, there are lucrative high paying jobs waiting for him. The fact that he whacked OBL by itself is good for a rubber-chicken circuit deal.

CorporatePiggy on February 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

In my opinion, the whole 20 year retirement requirement should be applied in a different way to SpecOps operators. As the article states, many of the SEALs are in a constant start of warfighting. They operate in the most high risk of situations. There aren’t many SEALs or SpecOps members, so I don’t think we’d be burdening the budget too hard. Fix how Congress handles weapons development and military contract appropriations, and we’d have plenty of funds to use.

blatantblue on February 11, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Archivarix on February 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I can agree with that.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM

I’d waive the 20 year rule for this guy.
rbj on February 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Politricks on February 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

A lot of soldiers get early medical retirement / disability compensation due to PTSD and other injuries. And when the military is RIFing people, they often give early retirement options to get rid of people. So this could easily be justified in his case – if this story is real.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM

In a sane world/country the article, the part about his private life, after quitting, should not have been necessary to write.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

MIA CiC

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Archivarix on February 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

And he personally takes a dump on dude’s porch each morning. Full motorcade and everything.

Craziness.

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

As a Marine veteran, I never thought one service member deserved benefits that another did not; at least on a general scale. What I mean by that is, if no other 16 year veteran is afforded military health insurance, than he shouldn’t either.

His role in the death of ObL is obviously heroic. It’s likely he was selected for the mission due to his expertise and experience. Clearly he’s an elite sailor. But it was his job. The training, the hard work, and the mission- all part of his job. He chose the job -likely out of selflessness, and a love for country, but if he left his job short of eligibility, then he’s ineligible.

As for transitioning our newest veterans into the civilian workforce- it would be great if here were programs to assist, but again, the recent high-school graduate doesn’t necessarily have access to programs like this, and clearly our colleges are not adequately preparing recent grads for civilian work. He is, however, blessed with extensive training in a whole host of leadership, self-discipline, and motivational characteristics that most are not; and most of those can be transitioned into the civilian world. The fact that companies are not hiring is the major obstacle here, not the lack of government-sponsored aide for a highly-trained and motivated individual.

All that being said, if there are mental, emotional, and/or physical ailments as a result of his service, then by all means, he should be given all the assistance he needs by a grateful county.

Keep in mind, if the incentive to serve hinges on the benefits upon service completion, we’ll not attract the best and we’ll not remain the best.

BKeyser on February 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I’m hesitant to ask this question, and I haven’t read the linked article, but…

How do we know this is the “right” SEAL? Something just seems off.

byepartisan on February 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Too many of the SEALs in the Osama case are dead or destitute…short time, too much coincidence.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I mean, first of all, I can’t imagine one of the SEALs giving an interview like this. Much less to Esquire.

byepartisan on February 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I’m not the only one skeptical about this story. The folks over at “This Ain’t Hell” (almost all veterans or retired military) have their doubts as well:

The whole story just seems… off. The language is very melodramatic and sounds more like the accounts I have seen from stolen valor phonies than the way real servicemembers talk. If I’m proven wrong, I’ll apologize, but I just can’t get over the inkling in the back of my head that this story just doesn’t seem quite right.

Hayabusa on February 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Leftards are incredible fools. It is obvious that you hate the military. Your pretender in chief does the same. I wouldn’t be surprised if he won’t parade a few at the SOTU, for his own glorification.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM

For those that care to see why some vets are skeptical, wander over to This Aint Hell. Many of Bubbas and Bubbetes there have the T-shirts and have a long history of exposing Stolen Valor phonies. If this is legit, they’ll be the first ones to say so.

Dingbat63 on February 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM

CorporatePiggy on February 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Yes – I don’t get this part. There are a bunch of companies that will quickly employ ANY former SEAL or other Specioal Forces type. These guys are never lacking options. Another piece of this puzzle that just doesn’t fit.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I’m about to sound like a giant, giant jerk here…but because those are the rules. Don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for him doing a dangerous job for however long from the day he went to BUD/S until he got out. But it’s not like this was some surprise revelation that you don’t get the benefits of a retiree until you retire, and retirement starts at 20 years.

There’s plenty of guys I know who would love to get benefits early, mostly because, like this SEAL, there’s a lucrative job market out there for someone with the talents only the military can teach. And sometimes it works out that way, and sometimes it doesn’t. If you want the benefits of retiring from the military, do that last four years.

Sgt Steve on February 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM

byepartisan on February 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Why I said, above, that in a sane world/land this article would neve have come to exist. Something is going on that is highly untoward…glorious gov’t.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM

byepartisan on February 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Someone should ask Don Shipley. He’s got a thing for people who pretend to be SEALs – and there are a ton of folks who do it. More than there are active and former SEALs.

CorporatePiggy on February 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Snigger.

CorporatePiggy on February 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM

He should run for congress as a Democrat. He could retire in a few years with a 15 million dollar pension.

JellyToast on February 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM

In the meanwhile this took place today.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM

It’s insane the man doesn’t get full benefits. Not to mention a disgrace. Shame on the US. Again.

scalleywag on February 11, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Politricks on February 11, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Between 2003 and January of 2009, you BDS-addled Leftist morons had numerous “important dates”…the date the 1,000th soldier was killed in Iraq, the date the 2,000th soldier was killed in Iraq, and so on. And each time one of those Important Dates was reached, your Democrat Media made sure everyone knew, because they all shouted it from the rooftops.

Yet magically in late January of 2009, such “important dates” suddenly became meaningless; just a few months ago the 2,000th US soldier was killed in Afghanistan, and your Democrat Media didn’t even mention it.

I guess “important dates” used solely for political gain suddenly become meaningless when your side starts owning those deaths, don’t they?

F-

Del Dolemonte on February 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM

I believe that the Esquire magazine and this author got rolled big time by a poser. Any E-3 getting out after 4 year’s service knows how to enroll at the VA for benefits. Heck, the Navy makes you go through several classes prior to your getting out to inform you of what’s available. They also forward your medical records to the VA Hospital of your choice.

If this alleged SEAL was real, he’d be at least a Petty Officer 1st Class after 16 years, and likely a CPO. As a 1st Class, at some point he’d be the LPO of his division, and be responsible for passing along all the post-service info to the enlisted under his care, as well as counsel them on potential benefits, where to go for help, etc.

As a SEAL, he’s also part of a large network that takes care of it’s own. They would be there for him 24/7 and all he’d have to do is ask.

I was a Petty Officer 1st Class, and LPO of my division. I was seriously injured on active duty and although there was some minor frustration with the bureaucracy at the VA, I had no problem getting signed up for medical care and disability benefits. This guy should have no problem getting into the system. No problem at all.

Like I said, I don’t believe his story for one minute. There are too many holes, too many things that just don’t sound right. It’s already been questioned on many of the veteran’s sites.

He needs to be outed for the fraud that he is.

TKindred on February 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Politricks on February 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:13 PM

The Democrats now own the Stupid Vote. Romney won the vote of college graduates in 2012, while Dear Leader overwhelmingly won the high school dropout vote.

They must all be so proud of that achievement.

Del Dolemonte on February 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Hayabusa on February 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Dingbat63 on February 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I think you guys are likely getting closer to the real truth. This situation is ripe for a “stolen valor” con job – must remain anonymous or AQ will kill me. So nobody can ever really confirm whether this guy telling the story is really the guy. The whole storyline just doesn’t add up – which is what eventually reveals the fakes – and I’ve dealt with a couple of those types.

dentarthurdent on February 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

They must all be so proud of that achievement.

Del Dolemonte on February 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Leftists/Looters love their plankton stupid, uneducated, in modern day bondage.

If you educate them, they go free and leave the plantation, says the good Dr. Carson.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:37 PM

Red flags all over the place on this story.

steebo77 on February 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Thinking back to all the times the president has claimed credit for “getting Bin Laden” while this hero comes home to nothing he’s rightly entitle to just makes me ill. I know he’s not the only Seal who deserves credit here, but good grief, give the guy his just rewards.

scalleywag on February 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Here’s a question I’m struggling with:

Why should he get a pension at 16 years when other soldiers do not?

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:09 PM

He’s a sailor. And, given what special forces and their families go through (not to say that it is easy for anyone in the military, but it is especially tough for these folks), I think that there should be a different standard.

besser tot als rot on February 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

They must all be so proud of that achievement.

Del Dolemonte on February 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I will have you know this high school dropout happily pulled the lever for Romney this year, thank you kindly.

I don’t need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows anymore than I need a college professor to tell me what smart looks like. I imagine I learned more from the Squad Leader down in Iraq in a year than most any scholar did in the same time among the stacks and tomes of the most illustrious of ivory towers.

Sgt Steve on February 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I sent this to Phil Bronstein, the author:

I read your piece on Bin Laden. And I know one thing deep in the marrow of my bones: how you are just sick that ol’ Bush & Cheney aren’t in charge now that this hero SEAL went back home with a big fuck you from the Government.

OH…. how you yearn to have the chance to crucify them for abandoning this man, this soldier. But your guy is in charge, isn’t he? He OWNS this. His fucking profiteers and bureaucrats. His war. His fight. His FAULT.

But no mention of your idol, Obama in your article, huh champ? Why not? Not even an “”Obama Administration” mention, huh?. Just “Government”. “His government”, huh?

NO. YOUR GOVERNMENT. YOUR GUY. YOU VOTED FOR HIM AND YOU OWN HIS MISERY as well, you fucking coward.

Opposite Day on February 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM

moving service, h/t Cindy Mumford I think

It was like allergy season a few times at my desk. Watery eyes, runny nose, all that.

DanMan on February 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Politricks on February 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

segasagez on February 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Did either of you read the article in its entirety?

Bmore on February 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I sent this to the author:

NO. YOUR GOVERNMENT. YOUR GUY. YOU VOTED FOR HIM AND YOU OWN HIS MISERY as well, you fuc#@! coward.

Opposite Day on February 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

He needs to be outed for the fraud that he is.

TKindred on February 11, 2013 at 5:34 PM

You may be right, but … damn … I’d be careful throwing around accusations like that. If you’re right. Fine. If you’re not … you’re an a$$hole of epic proportions.

besser tot als rot on February 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

For the same reason a GI that shot some unknown assailant in Vietnam, Iraq or Afghanistan isn’t eligible for military health insurance.

Or are you suggesting our military members be rewarded according to the rank of their kills? What about the solider that never killed anyone at all?

ButterflyDragon on February 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Early retirement before the completion of 20 years is not new. Your retirement pay is prorated based on the number of years you serve over 15 years and all other benefits should be the same as 20+ retirees, including medical. It’s not totally clear what this guy’s problems are or why he left the Navy early but unless there’s a lot more to this story, he appears to be getting everything he’s entitled to. Yes he performed his job well but so have thousands of other combat soldiers.

rplat on February 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

besser tot als rot on February 11, 2013 at 5:41 PM

If I am wrong, I’m more than man enough to admit it here on Hot Air, and wherever else I might post. I am a Life Member of the DAV. I’ve seen the real folks, and the posers, and this guy’s story doesn’t pass the smell test.

But like I said, if I am wrong, I’ll happily post a Mea Culpa. I don’t think I’ll be needing to do that, though.

respects,

TKindred on February 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

==============

So,it appears Obama doesn“t have his back,
or any other US Servicemen!!!

canopfor on February 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM

i have trouble believing any SEAL on the mission is having those type of issues.

chasdal on February 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Dear God, that’s more heartbreaking than anything else in this story.

Caiwyn on February 11, 2013 at 4:57 PM

If it enables America the special privilege of having Muslims move freely among you, it is worth some sacrifice isn’t it? What would America be like without Muslims and their gifts to society? The future does not belong to those who are not Muslim, as Obama says.

BL@KBIRD on February 11, 2013 at 5:52 PM

I want to see that so I can smile.

SouthernGent on February 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM

In the meanwhile this took place today.

Schadenfreude on February 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Schadenfreude:

I watched it,from Cindy Munfords link,
and it was hard to watch,it was tear
welled up moments!:)

canopfor on February 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM

If you want to know if Obama trusts the military there is a very good example from his Inaugral parade. The Marines marching had to remove the bolt from their rifle.

Sven on February 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Let me add my name to the list of people that think there is something very wrong about this story. If I were Esquire I’d recheck my sources on this guy.

JEB on February 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM