Dr. Benjamin Carson on running for office: I’m retiring from surgery in June, you know

posted at 8:01 pm on February 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

His National Prayer Breakfast speech is now over a million views on YouTube — rare for any political address, I’d guess — and he’s had not one but two plum appearances on Fox News in the past week. National Journal has a new piece out just this afternoon headlined, “Why a Johns Hopkins Neurosurgeon Is Getting 2016 Presidential Buzz.” He’s a phenomenon on the right, but it’s completely unrealistic, needless to say, for a total political novice to contend seriously for a presidential nomination, even one as personally accomplished as Carson. Senator is a more likely bet, but Carson has the misfortune of living in one of the most reliably blue states in America. Maryland hasn’t sent a Republican to the Senate in more than 25 years. Ben Cardin just got reelected and Barbara Mikulski isn’t up again until 2016 — and she’s never drawn less than 60 percent in a Senate race. Could be that she’ll retire before her next term (she’s 76 now), but Democratic turnout in Maryland will be strong in ’16 no matter who the nominee is since it’s a presidential election year. He could, of course, move across the border to Virginia and take his chances there, but the next Senate election is in 2014 against Mark Warner — who won with 65 percent of the vote last time. Second look at running for the House instead?

Note his response when Cavuto asks him at around 4:15 how ObamaCare is playing with his colleagues.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Maryland would be tough.

KCB on February 11, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I am swooning. Loved watching his speech and loved watching the movie made about his life. Cuba Goiding, Jr. Played him in the movie. If you have not seen this movie, rent it, download it, buy it, whatever it takes.

karenhasfreedom on February 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 11, 2013 at 8:07 PM

What is the name of the movie?

KCB on February 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Second look at running for the House instead?

Not in Maryland. Dems just redistricted themselves into safe majorities.

Happy Nomad on February 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM

What is the name of the movie?

KCB on February 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Gifted Hands.

CurtZHP on February 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Thanks Curt!

KCB on February 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM

HHS secretary for Rand Paul it is then.

nobar on February 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I live in Maryland. I say go for it Mr. Carson. How can we ever regain lost ground if we don’t challenge them in their own backyards?

dddave on February 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Do you remember when living in Arkansas stopped Hillary from being Senator from New York? Me neither.

xuyee on February 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Before the scandals, Herman Cain was a real threat to win the GOP nomination in 2012. This guy is light years ahead of Herman Cain in terms of intelligence, charisma, charm and competence. Why shouldn’t he be taken seriously as a presidential candidate? Why is he less qualified than any of the others that are being talked about for 2016.

Shoot, who would you rather have Hillary running this country or someone who you would trust to perform surgery on your brain? Enough said.

milemarker2020 on February 11, 2013 at 8:13 PM

And after the cop killer thread I was thinking that there’s no good news any more.

Cleombrotus on February 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Compared to McCain? Or Mitt?

Myron Falwell on February 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Hot Air has long ago ceased being a “in the know” Presidential who’s who website. The RINO’s that are the editors can poo poo Carson all they want, but after Obama’s skeletons come out of the closet and the country is in the throes of cultural and economic civil war, the ‘Good Doctor’ has far more gravitas and maturity than any of the pin heads in the blogosphere or the media.

The “producers” will take back this country, with votes and with pitchforks, as necessary…meely mouthed RINO websites will be irrelevant to the process.

daytrader on February 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

He has my vote!

Tilly on February 11, 2013 at 8:18 PM

The guy could be our first black president.

Bishop on February 11, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Maryland hasn’t sent a Republican to the Senate in more than 25 years.

What the hell’s wrong with Maryland?

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Dr. Carson wants to improve education? So does Rush Limbaugh (and he hinted he had something cooking along that line). Maybe Rush and the doc should team up.

petefrt on February 11, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I am really smitten with the good Dr!!

If he is willing, I say let him go for it!

We should back him to the hilt.

He is a soothing breath of fresh air on the political scene.

Go For It Dr Carson!!

I agree with Bishop, he could be our first Black President!

Scrumpy on February 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Yeah, Carson needs some solid community organizing and he would be a shoe in…

hillsoftx on February 11, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Maryland hasn’t sent a Republican to the Senate in more than 25 years.

What the hell’s wrong with Maryland?

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Well, they are adjacent to other Sin City in Washington, D.C. Same affliction Virginia suffers from.

Myron Falwell on February 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I love the guy, but the opportunities to run for office are slim to none, it seems.

I think he could rock with setting up a PAC, raising a ton of money, and making appearances for good candidates. His calendar should fill up quick.

22044 on February 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM

If more accomplished men like him would speak out more, perhaps…

Cleombrotus on February 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM

What the hell’s wrong with Maryland?

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Close enough to smell D.C…

hillsoftx on February 11, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story (TV 2009– ) – IMDb

This is a must see movie. I just happened to find it on cable the weekend before he made his speech. I actually emailed him a fan email after watching the movie before I heard his speech. I was that impressed by his story.

Wonder what it would take to get him to move to MI to challenge Levin in 2014? That old goat has been in congress almost as long as I have been alive.

karenhasfreedom on February 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Buzz killer!

MT on February 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

I like how he contrasts the wisdom of a Biblical perspective against the impracticality of the Progressive perspective.

Cleombrotus on February 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I haven’t seen the movie, but the book he wrote is excellent. Can’t remember the title though. A search of Ben Carson on Amazon should bring it up.

What a story of the REAL American dream.

May God continue to bless him.

Jvette on February 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM

exciting! i hope he runs for some office.

Sachiko on February 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM

22044 on February 11, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Good to see you! You have been missed :-) Gonna join us later?

Scrumpy on February 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Senator is a more likely bet

Not bloody likely. Listen and watch him again. This man is going to be president or he’s not entering politics.

rrpjr on February 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM

He could win just based on how uncomfortable he made Obama.

lilacs on February 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Neurosurgeon….ohhh wow. Big deal.

Bark once removed a little sliver from his thumb and dabbed on the ointment all by himself.

Bishop on February 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Compared to McCain? Or Mitt?

Myron Falwell on February 11, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Hey, I’m anti-establishment GOP but I don’t want to field a candidate with zero elective experience. For President no less. I’m not even a fan of those touting first term Senators as being qualified (other than the Constitutional requirements). Have we learned nothing from the rat-eared wonder currently infesting the WH with two years in the Senate as a waypoint to higher office?

What I’d like to see Dr. Carson do is become an “advocate” of an issue or series of issues where he could make a difference. Reforming Obamacare, for example, might be a good project for a retired Johns Hopkins neurosurgeon.

Happy Nomad on February 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM

What is the name of the movie?

KCB on February 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM

gifted hands. it is available on netflix streaming watched it today. Good Flick. Strong God fearing man. I’m sure the left and the GOPe will begin to tear him down in a couple more days.

unseen on February 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM

What a story of the REAL American dream.

May God continue to bless him.

Jvette on February 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM

i remember reading “gifted hands” as required reading when i was in middle school (about 10 years ago) and i just remember that i really liked the book and it was inspiring. i’m glad my teacher wanted us to read it!

Sachiko on February 11, 2013 at 8:32 PM

unseen on February 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I have a feeling he won’t be so easily ‘torn’ down…

He has strong convictions, I don’t think he is afraid to speak up!

Whatever he chooses to do, I wish him all the best in the world!

Scrumpy on February 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

karl rove to attack in 3…2…1…

Lost in Jersey on February 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

He could win just based on how uncomfortable he made Obama.

lilacs on February 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM

There are many good quotes but I loved the way he talked about tithing and not messing with the guy who just paid the government $1B dollars when the guy that paid $1,000 didn’t give $100. I may have the numbers wrong but the fact of the matter is that he really stuck that whole “fair share” crap right back in the face of the rat-eared wonder.

Happy Nomad on February 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Carson doesn’t need to run for President. He just needs to keep speaking his mind about issues that mean something to him. He wouldn’t get elected if he ran, but he can continue to speak. Wouldn’t hurt.

joejm65 on February 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I have a feeling he won’t be so easily ‘torn’ down…

He has strong convictions, I don’t think he is afraid to speak up!

Whatever he chooses to do, I wish him all the best in the world!

Scrumpy on February 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

You forget Alan West. An honorable man of strong convictions who was essentially spent and smeared out of office by a political machine with no ethics and even less regard for blacks who have left the liberal plantation.

Happy Nomad on February 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Awesome. Go Ben

ted c on February 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM

What is the name of the movie?

KCB on February 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM

unseen on February 11, 2013 at 8:31 PM

It’s on Youtube. I watched it yesterday. About 90 minutes of excellence! (I watched it in English with some foreign language subtitles running along the bottom that weren’t too bothersome.)

IrishEi on February 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Good to see you! You have been missed :-) Gonna join us later?

Scrumpy on February 11, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Hi! I might…these days I tend to lurk and comment on different posts in no systematic way.

Are you doing well? :)

22044 on February 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Happy Nomad on February 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Yes, there is that… sigh…

Scrumpy on February 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Neurosurgeon….ohhh wow. Big deal.
Bishop on February 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I know you are kidding me here but did you know he was the surgeon who separated the conjoined twins who were connected at their heads? It took him months to figure out how to do it without killing both of them. As I said, this movie will leave a big impression on anyone who sees it.

karenhasfreedom on February 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

22044 on February 11, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Yes I am thanks! Hope you are too, well just pop or *poof* in and say Hi! :-)

Scrumpy on February 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I take it he’s not a candidate that Rove’s new group would be supporting?

Ukiah on February 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Can’t wait to watch the Together We Thrive crowd, uh, reward this man for his character and integrity.

tom daschle concerned on February 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

You’ve evidently been living under a rock. It is my sad duty to inform you that complete novice Barack Obama has been elected President TWICE.

No, having an experienced political machine doing the campaigning FOR him is not the same as being experienced.

CapnObvious on February 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I can’t wait for the good doctor to go all Powell, Rice, Steele, or West and see the posts of disappointment here once again. Schadenfreude I tell ya.

Mr. Arrogant on February 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM

This guy is light years ahead of Herman Cain — someone many people took seriously until the end of his bid for the Presidency.

I would need to learn more about him before I would commit to supporting him, but damn, I really like what I’ve seen.

stuckinwisconsin on February 11, 2013 at 8:56 PM

karenhasfreedom on February 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Eh, who hasn’t done that?

Dog Eater once separated an egg yolk from the white while keeping the yolk perfectly intact.

Bishop on February 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Seems like a decent man so they will have to destroy him.

Thicklugdonkey on February 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM

OK…the guy is great…a man of achievement and brilliance in his field and he probably has a lot of great ideas. But before you all go over the cliff for him and the Presidency…you might wanna give him a little time to percolate. Why?? Because you DON’T KNOW HIM.

Did you know he is a 7th Day Adventist?
That he believes the Earth is less than 6000 years old?
That he denies evolution?
That he has said (then withdrawn) that evolutionists must be immortal?

Just sayin’….he ain’t Presidential timber in my opinion…though I’d like to see him put to work fixing things by our next Republican President. Sec’y of Education might be a great spot to start since he says that is his biggest interest and we sure need help with the schools! Let’s see if he can keep Creationism out of the Science textbooks before we give him the keys to the White House.

camaraderie on February 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM

…ummm…sorry that should read…

That he has said (then withdrawn) that evolutionists must be immoral?

camaraderie on February 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Thanks AP. I love to end the day with a laugh.

vityas on February 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

A smart administration would/would have made use of this gentleman’s intellect. Alas, this has not been the case. Perhaps upon the return of a smart administration he might be sought out to enlighten on the very serious issues pertaining to healthcare. Or education for that matter.

Bmore on February 11, 2013 at 9:14 PM

The movie called “Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story” was absolute crap compared to the actual book (of the same name as it is his autobiography). If anyone thought the movie was “good” I highly recommend reading it from your local public library, Amazon, or e-book.

My 4th grade teacher made his (my) entire class read it way back in 1996 and then he started a mentoring program based on Dr. Carson’s model.

SgtSVJones on February 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM

HHS secretary for Rand Paul it is then.

nobar

Sure thing, well, pending Paul’s seance with Aqua-Buddha, that is…

Knott Buyinit on February 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Bet me. I think a lot of Americans are tired of politicians and hungry for real leaders. Dr. Ben Carson is a leader. And it might just be time for him to perform “brain surgery” on the left and get some O-bots thinking right!

ITguy on February 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM

He seems to be the antidote to what is ailing America today. How does he feel about illegal immigration though?

ctmom on February 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM

camaraderie on February 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I really don’t want to have an evolution vs creation debate, but why does it matter that the man is a man of God. That’s infinitely better than a man who believes he is god.

nobar on February 11, 2013 at 9:24 PM

…ummm…sorry that should read…

That he has said (then withdrawn) that evolutionists must be immoral?

camaraderie on February 11, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I spent all year re-using the word a-moral. I had just learned(learnt, in my case) it from …somewhere… and I was eager to use it so I’ve used it everywhere. Anyway, I found out recently that what I meant was immoral and I had been miss using amoral the whole time. LAM. There are other words I probably butcher. Their is not caught by the spell-checker so I almost always write thier.btw – I wouldn’t be posting this if it was a 100+ thread.

The non religious can’t demand their world view be a prerequisite for running for President. Look, here’s a guy,Carson, who is the best of the best in an extremely competitive field. He’s a guy who obviously can think logically. Someone who believes that their/the bible is God’s word can run for president. They do it all the time. In fact, I bet if a candidate said “I do not believe in the Bible’s creation narrative!” he’d be unelectable.

BoxHead1 on February 11, 2013 at 9:36 PM

SgtSVJones on February 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM

One of my sons picked it out from the library and started reading it about a week before Dr. Carson spoke at the prayer breakfast. Coincindence, or God’s hand moving in his life? I played the video of Dr. Carson speaking (at the prayer breakfast) to my kids, and they all loved it.

Dr. Carson is a man who knows what it’s like to live in true poverty (unlike Obama, who grew up with servants in Indonesia and had a pampered, drugged-up life at Punahou School in Hawaii). Dr. Carson knows how to help people lift themselves out of poverty, rather than sink deeper into government dependency.

Dr. Carson has more wisdom in one pinky finger than Obama will ever have.

I’d love to see Dr. Carson run for President. It’s cool that he knows that several of the founders were doctors. Here’s more info on one of them:

Dr. Benjamin Rush, a great American hero and role model. At the time of his death in 1813, he was heralded as one of America’s three most notable men, along with George Washington and Benjamin Franklin. He was a signer of the Declaration of Independence, served under three Presidents, helped found five universities and colleges, is titled “The Father of American Medicine,” led both the abolition and prison reform movements, and founded American Sunday Schools and the nation’s first Bible Society. Rush integrated his staunch Christian beliefs into every facet of his life. In addition to outlining his many remarkable accomplishments, this book includes numerous excerpts from his personal writings.

ITguy on February 11, 2013 at 9:38 PM

SgtSVJones on February 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Just one? You apparently can’t be a viable black man for high public office unless you’ve already had a couple autobiographies published before you’ve accomplished anything that matters.

It would seem that Dr. Carson is a bit of an over-achiever. One meaningful autobiography instead of two ghost-written pieces of crap designed to hide the truth about the rat-eared wonder.

Happy Nomad on February 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I can keep an open mind about him. He certainly has a lot going for him. Herman Cain got pretty far and he didn’t have near the background this man has. we shall see. Right now I have a lot of admiration for a guy who can speak a few feet away from the president and be direct and have a good handle on the issues and make him a little uncomfortable. I hope his comments pissed him off because they were right on!

scalleywag on February 11, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Christ almighty, conservatives seem awfully quick to wrap themselves up in zeitgeist. I believe Ben Carson is a man of integrity, a good speaker, and is sorely needed in the political arena. That is precisely why I believe he will not run for federal office.

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Did you know he is a 7th Day Adventist?
That he believes the Earth is less than 6000 years old?
That he denies evolution?
That he has said (then withdrawn) that evolutionists must be immortal?

camaraderie on February 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Who the HE!! cares? I mean he is a man of science and brilliance YOUR own words. He understands that the deficit=bad; something that most of Washington has yet to grapple. Please tell me exactly where his views on Evolution or the Earth’s age become relevant to the Presidency?

melle1228 on February 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM

The Audacity of Hope Ben Carson

ITguy on February 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I’m not ready to go out and vote for him, but I would like to hear his take on things. A new perspective on things couldn’t hurt.

melle1228 on February 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I take it he’s not a candidate that Rove’s new group would be supporting?

Ukiah on February 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM

No and they would be right. Dr. Carson is unelectable as a non-liberal living in Maryland, let alone the Baltimore area.

Happy Nomad on February 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM

melle1228 on February 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM

They are completely irrelevant IMNSHO. And I still believe Ben Carson won’t run for the presidency or any other federal office.

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM

How would the left paint us as racist if Mr. Carson became a serious contender in 2016 though? what a conundrum that would be. might dry up the well of “party of old white men” articles.

scalleywag on February 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Don’t let the ‘He has no political experience” line fool you, can you imagine an accomplished well spoken man such as him running against a snake oil saleswoman like Hillary?

Tater Salad on February 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

melle1228 on February 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Carson’s take on things isn’t new. It’s stuff conservatives have been saying since before Goldwater, for crying out loud. But when I say that the redemption of the conservative movement will not come from within the Republican party, then by-God, I include Dr. Benjamin Carson, Jr. in that statement.

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Tater Salad on February 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Or it could be the whole Sarah Palin debacle all over again.

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 9:58 PM

scalleywag on February 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Right. Just like Palin running in ’12 would have totally disarmed the “war on women” meme. Right?

/crickets

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Happy Nomad on February 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I know that’s clearly tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, but you might like to know that Dr. Ben Carson is the author of FIVE books.

ITguy on February 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM

what is wrong with merryland you asked.

well, baltimore city and county, prince georges and montgomery county, some of anne arundel and a tad of howard.
get rid of those and you got a red state.

payola
dum voters
cronism
sigh
that is why I for the second time moved to a big red state and this time I am staying put unlessz obumbles and his cronies get worse in which case I am off to Cuenca.

losarkos on February 11, 2013 at 10:01 PM

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM

/sigh

Maybe I phrased it wrong. I would like to see what Carson can accomplish. The problem is Conservatives have been saying it, but very little has been accomplished since Goldwater. I feel like we are treading water in a room that is filling with water..

melle1228 on February 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM

melle1228 on February 11, 2013 at 10:02 PM

SPOILER ALERT:

Dr. Carson won’t run for federal office. And if he’s seriously entertaining the thought, I hope he doesn’t.

LET

IT

BURN

!

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Whatever the man decides to do with his future, it was a delight to finally see someone actually, not metaphorically, “Speak truth to Power.”

And Dr. Carson did it right. smack. dab… in front of “Power.” Sweet.

marybel on February 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM

There is a movie starring Cuba Gooding Jr about the life of Ben Carson.

It’s a good movie.

portlandon on February 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM

That he denies evolution?

camaraderie on February 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM

That’s a feature, not a …

Cleombrotus on February 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Who is this racist, right-wing, lunatic Tea Party person?

SouthernGent on February 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Who is this racist, right-wing, lunatic Tea Party person?

SouthernGent on February 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Sarah Louise Heath-Palin.

Oh, you mean that other racist right-wing lunatic Tea Partier! Sorry. They all look the same to me.

(See, that’s funny cause Palin is a white woman and Dr. Carson is a black man! HAHAHA!)

Aww shaddap. It’s not as funny when I have to explain it for the mental midgets.

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM

His life story is already out there, warts and all; so the media will have a tough time destroying him. But that won’t stop Karl Rove and his minions from tearing him apart.

CurtZHP on February 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Maryland hasn’t sent a Republican to the Senate in more than 25 years.

What the hell’s wrong with Maryland?

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM

1. Baltimore City
2. Baltimore County
3. Montgomery County
4. Howeird County
5. Prince Georges County

Laura in Maryland on February 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM

CurtZHP on February 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Puh-LEEZ! Palin’s life story was out there, warts and all, and she was destroyed mainly from within the Republican party!

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM

What the hell’s wrong with Maryland?

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Laura in Maryland on February 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Er . . . :)

I’m sure it’s beautiful. I’z just talking. Thank you for the answer.

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 11:12 PM

1. Baltimore City
2. Baltimore County
3. Montgomery County
4. Howeird County
5. Prince Georges County

Laura in Maryland on February 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM

As someone who spent his years up until 15 in #5 before escaping to Calvert County (MD) I can definitely vouch for all of the above.

Once the “Great Recession” hit I fled the People’s Republic of MD for Southwestern VA and haven’t regretted it since.

For those not in or around MD those 5 areas listed have the majority of the population (all who vote Dim) and they outweigh everyone else.

SgtSVJones on February 11, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Well the Astroturf did mostly come the left, at first, from Axelrod’s partner, Winner, from Sid Vicious’s spawn Max, and the Journolist in general, the GOP daggers really came a little later, first with Mike Murphy, then Wallace and Schmidt,

narciso on February 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM

narciso on February 11, 2013 at 11:17 PM

And…? Smears from the left are to be expected. They happened to Romney, too. There was something about Sarah Palin that made her different. Something that made the Republican party aparatchiks think that she wasn’t just another good ole boy [gal, whatever]. America didn’t deserve her, and America doesn’t deserve Dr. Carson, neither does Dr. Carson deserve the anal probing he would inevitably get from all sides if he chose to run. I don’t think he will.

gryphon202 on February 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Integrity, we can’t have that, we need hacks, apparatchiks and outright frauds,

narciso on February 12, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I say let him run. I accept the theory of evolution, but I don’t care that he is anti-evolution. He will not be running for the head of the biology dept of some university.

Obviously he is not a stupid man, the question is he politically smart. Sometimes just being smart is not good enough. Reagan for example was politically brilliant.

It will be interesting to see. You can’t change America unless you are in the game so I say I hope he continues his process into the public arena. If that is a run for president or some other political office….so be it.

William Eaton on February 12, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Oh, I don’t know. He’s a department head at a major research university after all. Remember what they say about politics in academia: “The fights are so vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.” And the sad thing is, what “they say” is perfectly true.

Blacksmith on February 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Here is an example of how Dr. Carson could win black votes in the state of Maryland.

Dr. Ben Carson on Bill Cosby and Role Models

This guy is good because he can speak and he has a since of history.

Yes he is a novice in politics but you have to admit this guy can communicate. Unlike the joke of the president we have or most of the politicians we have today. Could you imagine Romney giving a speech like this (I don’t mean the black history part), I mean the ability to draw the audience in and make you believe in this country.

It is going to be hard to “Uncle Tom” this guy by the left.

William Eaton on February 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Dr. Ben Carson on Bill Cosby and Role Models

This guy is good because he can speak and he has a since of history.

William Eaton on February 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Good God. That was an amazing clip. I’ll bet good money Obama couldn’t recite 1/10 of what Carson did right there regarding black inventors and innovators. I doubt 99.99% of Americans could. No one is taught this stuff anymore and it’s a tragedy. If he talked like that at rallies and speeches, the dude would win any elected office he sought.

Doughboy on February 12, 2013 at 3:48 AM