Confirmed: Divisive president to deliver “aggressive” SOTU speech

posted at 10:41 am on February 11, 2013 by Allahpundit

This doesn’t mean it won’t be overlong, enervating, and instantly disposable like the last four were, just more peevish than usual. It’ll also be an occasion for O to “pivot to jobs” for the seventh or eighth time in his presidency, which I take it means 15-20 minutes about the middle class and the latest iteration of the Buffett Rule before he gets back to the stuff that really drives him, like banning assault weapons and creating an earned amnesty for illegals.

Emboldened by electoral victory and convinced the GOP is unwilling to cut deals, Obama plans to use his big prime-time address Tuesday night to issue another broad challenge at a Republican Party he regards as vulnerable and divided, Democrats close to Obama say…

When POLITICO asked how Obama is approaching the speech compared with his previous State of the Union addresses, a person close to the process of drafting the speech replied with a 2,500-year-old quote from Chinese military strategist Sun Tzu:

“Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across.”…

That strategy could be dangerous. If Obama is perceived as too partisan, he’ll lose some of his personal popularity, which is the source of his political capital. But congressional Democrats actually fret about the opposite scenario — with several senior party aides telling POLITICO they fear Obama will fold on key issues, like entitlement cuts, if the GOP decides to bargain with him.

He won’t lose popularity, or at least not because of this. One of Obama’s few real rhetorical gifts is his knack for dumping on opponents stridently while not sounding strident. He’s always cultivated a cool-headed, above-the-fray, “adult in the room” image — it was key to his post-partisan shtick circa 2008 — and he does a solid job of maintaining it for the benefit of low-information voters who don’t follow politics closely day to day. There’ll be plenty of “we are one America” in this speech to cushion the “Republicans are destroying America” verbiage, and that’ll work just fine for casual watchers. Plus, if he throws some red meat to the left, he can count on some flattering post-speech coverage no matter how dull the proceedings get. There’s already buzz in political media about him taking on climate change tomorrow night. That’ll go nowhere in Congress, but luckily the press has had a revelation about the benefits of unilateral executive action since he took office.

Here’s Rand Paul previewing the tea-party rebuttal to O’s speech and addressing his perceived rivalry with Rubio. Exit question: Does Obama’s aggressiveness give Rubio more room for counter-aggression in the GOP response? Per Politico, “With Obama signaling a more confrontational approach, Rubio has apparently scrapped his first draft and settled on a tougher tack, according to former Bush administration operative Nicolle Wallace, appearing on ABC’s ‘This Week.’”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hello….um…uh…my fellow Americans…Um, uh..uh…Let me be clear…Not only is Tupac on my Ipod, but….um… JayZ, Beyonce, and me have shared some sweet buds…um…uh…uh…uh…sorry, teleprompter malfunction…I mean JayZ and me are best buds…um..

Anyways, uh…uh…uh… Republicans suck, but…uh…they keep whining about some dude named Ben who directed an anti-Muslim video…and let me be clear, I’m against all anti-Muslim bigotry, but I don’t know who they’re droning on and on…hmm..um…uh…

Let me be clear… I know Republicans well… they’ll cave soon, right after I tell them “I won!”…plus they really want amnesty, so they’ve been extra nice to me lately… um, uh…um…Where was I?…oh yeah…We are one America…in the tradition of Lincoln and Washington…and all those homiez that don’t look like me or Trayvon….God Damn America!!!!!!!!!!….mm…hold up, sorry…channeling the Rev for a bit…turns out I’m The Man now, so all y’all divisive bitter clinger right wingers need to get off my back.

ha…Can you believe I’m Da Preezy??!!…. How’d that happen?…

Um, uh…uh…

In conclusion,

Suck it.

sauldalinsky on February 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I wonder if he’ll attack the Supreme Court again or praise Roberts for helping him get his oppressive tax and control Obamacare in?

What, a SOTU shout out for Roberts as an example of how the SCOTUS should have Barry’s back?

hawkeye54 on February 11, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Frankly, I would just like to slap his face. Several times.

avagreen on February 11, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Let me be clear… I know Republicans well… they’ll cave soon, right after I tell them “I won!” and “They didn’t build that!”…plus they really want amnesty, so they’ve been extra nice to me lately… um, uh…um…Where was I?…oh yeah…We are one America…in the tradition of Lincoln and Washington…and all those homiez that don’t look like me or Trayvon….God Damn America!!!!!!!!!!….mm…hold up, sorry…channeling the Rev for a bit…turns out I’m The Man now, so all y’all divisive bitter clinger right wingers need to get off my back, so I can get my revenge.

ha…Can you believe I’m Da Preezy??!!…. How’d that happen?…

Um, uh…uh…

In conclusion,

Suck it.

Pretty good, just a couple of edits. :)

22044 on February 11, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I just can’t watch. He lies and I get angry. I looked to see what else was on and TNT has Castle repeats. I’ll watch those.

Rose on February 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Will not watch that evil poisonous POS unless a “Breaking News” alert hits the web or airwaves that the punk croaked. Then
only to see who else is celebrating.

Texyank on February 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Tuesday? Great, that’s “new to dvd” day. No doubt, most of the movies will be crap, but that’s better than what will be on TV.

RADIOONE on February 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM

That Nicole Wallace might be in the know about Rubio’s thinking speaks poorly of Rubio.

She should be a pariah.

commodore on February 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Among decent people, yes. Which raises the questions:

1) Does Rubio not know that Nicole Wallace is a snake in the grass?
2) Does Rubio not care that Nicole Wallace is a snake in the grass?
3) Did Rubio actually approve of Nicole Wallace betraying her own candidate to the media before the election was even over?
4) Is there any way to answer the above question that doesn’t make Rubio look bad?

tom on February 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Please, please, please can he pound a shoe in the podium?

MSM would probably label it a bold and refreshing passionate call to action.

NickelAndDime on February 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Please, please, please can he pound a shoe in the podium?

MSM would probably label it a bold and refreshing passionate call to action.

NickelAndDime on February 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM

They’d have the same response if he ordered all political dissidents to be executed at sunrise AND presided over a simultaneous gay wedding and twin partial-birth abortions from Sandra Fluke and Leah Dunham. Seriously.

The MSM is now just one step away from the obligatory Kool-Aid drinking.

Myron Falwell on February 11, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Texyank on February 11, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Ditto.

Although with Ted Neugent in attendance, wanna bet that the MSM will focus 100% on a virtual anal exam of everything he does tomorrow night and ignore all the inflammatory rhetoric that spews out of their dear leader?

Myron Falwell on February 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Eh, that place has been a sewer since Kennedy stole the election.

bluesdoc70 on February 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Confirmed: Divisive president to deliver “aggressive” SOTU STFU speech

KOOLAID2 on February 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Won’t watch…. not for a president I have zero respect for, who insults the GOP voters every time he opens his smug mouth with strawmen arguments and lies about our motivations.. My blood pressure meds only work so well… and I can get the relevant transcripts later..

I fully expect another we 51% are all of America.. the other half doesn’t exist in his speeches.. that his commands are law, and anyone who disagrees hates children… the usual leftist demagoguery writ large..

America will endure, and spend decades dealing with his extremism in the aftermath.. the whole time, the democrat party blaming his every screw up on us, on red state America.. and thinking people who question the sophistry of his holiness.. How this country allowed the bastardization of our media into a left wing mouth piece I’ll never know… an honest media would not have an Obama run survive..

and they’ll drool over this speech, with the praises already written in the drawer ready to go..

Can’t decide who’s more damaging to America, the MSM, or their Frankenstein creation..

mark81150 on February 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM

Tuesday night, 9 pm? Uh, sorry, I’ll be tuned into Doomsday Preppers on NatGeo. I need to get good ideas for when the Republic collapses and we take up arms.

RandallinHerndon on February 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is listening, is it still sound?

I’ll be doing something else tonight. I think I’ll clean the toilets.

COgirl on February 12, 2013 at 10:36 AM

The Polack sauerkraut dinner I’m attending will smell more lovely than anything Barky will dish up. And I don’t even like sauerkraut.

Nordeast on February 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Awww. You know what all this aggressiveness stems from? Wittle pwesident was all hurt when he was called an “empty chair” during the debates, and it bwuised his wittle ego, so now he is going to be “aggressive” in all his dealings from now on.

What a useless putz.

Sterling Holobyte on February 12, 2013 at 12:26 PM

If words matter I’m not sure at all of the description of this cheap trash Obama not appearing “strident”. He exudes hate and sarcasm.

arand on February 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM