Breaking: Pope Benedict resigning at end of month

posted at 7:30 am on February 11, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Just how big a deal is this?  The last time the leader of the Roman Catholic Church resigned his office was almost exactly 600 years ago in 1415, and that was to end the Western Schism and reunify the Pontificate.  No such dramatics are in play today, as Benedict XVI will step down on February 28th for reasons of health:

Full text of Pope’s declaration

Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is.

Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer.

From the Vatican, 10 February 2013

BENEDICTUS PP XVI

Again, just to give some historical perspective, the last time this happened, Gutenberg hadn’t yet invented the printing press.  What does it mean for the Catholic Church today, with 1.2 billion faithful and the state of the Vatican in the balance?  Administratively, not much.  The Vatican and the Church operate without a Pope when one dies, and the same mechanisms will carry out the day-to-day functions of both the Church and the state until a successor is chosen by the College of Cardinals.  If anything, that will proceed in a more orderly fashion, with the head start provided by Benedict XVI’s notice.

Spiritually, of course, it’s another matter entirely.  Benedict XVI is one of the Church’s greatest living theologians, and has been a highly-respected leader of faith in his pontificate.  It’s impossible not to compare him to his predecessor Blessed John Paul, whose pontificate lasted for decades and who had a tremendous impact on the world and governed the Church through a renewal of faith, but that comparison will probably be a little unfair to Benedict XVI.  The manner of his leaving, though, begs for that kind of comparison.  Blessed John Paul took the traditional route of holding the office to his death despite suffering from Parkinson’s, a disease that ravaged his body but left his mind clear.  Benedict XVI makes explicit mention of concerns over the state of his “mind and body” and a deterioration in one or both that has created an “incapacity,” which leaves the impression that one of the most brilliant minds in the Church may be dimming, and that Benedict XVI has decided to forego the difficulties this would cause the Church and allow another to take his place.  That itself is a significant sacrifice, and perhaps an important act of humility.

Needless to say, Benedict XVI will be in our prayers.  In my life, I’ve only really known two Popes, and I’ve only been physically close to this one: when I traveled to Rome for the beatification of Blessed John Paul two years ago.  Benedict XVI conducted the long ceremony and exhibited strength, joy, and faith.  While I didn’t get to see him up close — I was actually just outside the wall and watched on a TV screen, surrounded by an estimated 3 million pilgrims — it was literally a life-changing experience, in ways that are still unfolding for me.

Benedict XVI helped guide the Church after the death of his larger-than-life predecessor, finishing his work and beginning his own.  That transition was jarring: how do you follow the pontificate of a saint? Benedict XVI managed to do so with joy, faith, and determination, and perhaps it’s fitting that after having provided such a smooth transition to the post-JPII era of the Church, he’s been tasked with providing a smoother transition to his successor.  We will pray for Benedict XVI in retirement, and for his successor to face the challenges of the next era.

Update: In case anyone wonders, canon law within the Roman Catholic Church does allow for the resignation of a Pope. “If it happens that the Roman Pontiff resigns his office, it is required for validity that the resignation is made freely and properly manifested but not that it is accepted by anyone.”  I assume that the announcement from the Vatican means that the resignation has been accepted by the cardinals.

Update II: Commenter Greek Fire captured my first reaction to this news pretty accurately:

If you go back to the ’05 conclave, when they elected a man older than JP 2, we thought we’d be lucky to get five years. We got 8, and they were good ones.

Pope Benedict XVI is the pope of Christian unity.

Agreed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Piss off. Lol

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I’m spouting prayers at you because you seem to need them…as evidenced in the vitriol of your posts.

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM

And you felt you just HAD to make a big public display of how holy you are and how you just feel so CALLED to pray for poor pitiful me, right?

Piss off. Save your BS for smoothsailing. You two deserve each other.

Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I’m guessing you enjoy your self-righteousness…must be lonely.

*shrug*

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Kind of hard leaving something you were never a member of. My agenda is to defend all of our Christian faiths from posers like you. I started as a Mormon. I’m a Protestant now. I love and respect all of our faiths.

Unlike you, I see more to be proud of than to be ashamed of.

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM

You’re a very disturbed person. Very disturbed.

Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I knew that I remembered you from somewhere.Gelsomina on February 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Awesome job Gelsomnia. They think they’re so slick. So, we have such a serious Catholic who distains the trash talk so much that they hate seriius Christian candidates and …. trash talk.

Filthy little liar.

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 5:23 PM

’m guessing you enjoy your self-righteousness…must be lonely.

*shrug*

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

You jump on and spout off prayers at me and then go all holier-than-thou when you get called on YOUR smug, self-righteous behavior and then call me self-righteous? Really? Are you serious?

Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

So…threatening sexual assault is a tenet of your faith you’re proud of…? Is that a Mormon thing or a Protestant thing?I know it’s not a Catholic thing, so maybe you should educate yourself before you start telling me I’m not Catholic.You’re a very disturbed person. Very disturbed.Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Of course, the other thing they’ll do is try to make like you said something you didn’t. Don’t bother even addressing trying to prove their negative. Carowinds loves him some abortion. It’s atenet of his faith.

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I knew that I remembered you from somewhere.

Gelsomina on February 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Yes…so because I don’t worship at the shrine of your idol I’m…not a Catholic…?

You REALLY need to get out and get a life, dear. Really.

Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

BTW, my attorney and the police department have both advised me to stop posting here now that I’ve received a serious (and now documented by my local PD and my attorney) threat of sexual assault by smoothsailing.Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Mine did too when you threatened to pee on us. Lets all email our grievance to Ed and Allah.

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I’m guessing you enjoy your self-righteousness…must be lonely.

*shrug*

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:24 PM

1. I’ve been on this thread since this morning.

2. You started a flame war with your vitriol.

3. If you are catholic as you claim…your pride has blinded you.

4. It isn’t self-righteous or smug to post prayers especially on a occasion such as today…the topic of this thread which is Pope Benedict XVI retirement & many have done so.

Your posts are revealing to anyone here except perhaps to yourself.

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I published this on the wrong thread:

The hatchet work being done on this good man is sick. WAPO article Benedict falling short

But as Benedict’s legacy takes shape, naturally drawing contrasts with his predecessor, his record appears to be comparatively weak on political leadership, global travel and outreach to other faiths.

I am not Catholic but I wondered why the conservative priests on EWTN were so excited about this Pope, so I have followed him. Benedict was asked, as Cardinal, why the pedophile priests could commit such crime. His answer: if their faith was a theoretical, a hypothetical, they could do this, but if they truly believed their faith, they could not. He won me over. If they believed? no way

From the hatchet job:

He might have found cause in working with Muslim-majority countries such as Turkey or Egypt, particularly as political Islamism rises, toward fair treatment for Christian minorities (though Egypt’s Christians are Coptic, rather than Catholic). He might have preoccupied himself with the fault line between Christianity and Islam in sub-Saharan Africa, where many Christians are Catholic.

Benedict engaged ,although you did not see this on the MSM. He invited islamic religious leaders to find commonalities. His invitation suggested that all men could agree, that even without religion, men held common belief in certain human rights, and certain moral codes. His invitation was sent back multiple times with a counter offer to discuss one truth: that there was one god and Mohammed was his (only) prophet.

Benedict did this to show the world what the West faced. Then he set up a meeting anyway. You did not see this on the MSM, but on EWTN you could watch as the public discussions were immediately taken over by screaming islamists. The point of his setting up the meeting was to reach out, but also reveal

The Catholic church recognizes the plight of the Copts, Iraqi Chaldeans and others, but again, the work done will not be covered by the MSM, which spends it time smearing this Church

Benedict’s last great Homily, this Christmas was an explanation of the modern disease, how man’s vision of reality itself is tempered by his faith, or lack of

…we need to listen to Saint Paul’s exhortation: “Betransformed by the renewal of your mind” (ROM 12:2) Paul speaks of renewal, the opening up of our intellect (nous), of the whole way we view the world and ourselves.

The conversion that we need must truly reach into the depths of our relationship with reality…Benedict 2012 Christmas Eve Mass

This homily connects to problem of outreach to the islamic world (the concept of two different realities, and the muslim leaders denying there was common morality outside of the faith). It ties into one of his first Easter Homilies, which surprising called the next great ecumenicism would not be between Catholic and Protestant, but between believers in Christ (the golden rule, repentance, forgiveness, and salvation) and the rest (no commonality, my way or the highway, and intolerance for infidels)

It ties into the corrupt priest, who if he believed in God, would have feared the mighty force of judgement. Benedict preached the disease of the world was pushing god out, creating a godless reality. Until God is a part of our reality, we will be adrift – although he still believed men had inherent understanding of right and wrong

He made a huge impact on youth. The March on Life in DC this year was huge, and it was mainly young people. Again, not covered at all by the MSM

Recently, he had to be helped to kneel, and then to stand. He is very very frail. You could hardly hear his voice. He is a great Pope. I am grateful I had EWTN to hear his words. God bless him

entagor on February 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Good idea. I’ve taken care of that for you.

Let’s all just calm down from this point forward, all right?

Ed Morrissey on February 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Ed Morrissey on February 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

**Clap**

weaselyone on February 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I’m calm now. Shaking in my boots, contrite and offering my apologies for being course. But I’m calm.

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Good idea. I’ve taken care of that for you.

Ed Morrissey on February 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Banhammer Ed rides again! I was wondering if you’d step in given the last 40 or so posts.

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM

entagor on February 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Thanks for posting that

: )

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I am grateful I had EWTN to hear his words. God bless him

entagor on February 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Agreed.

With regards to EWTN, even non-Catholics should check it out during the next few weeks, if you have any interest in the selection of the new pope. Unlike certain other networks I can name, the people on EWTN actually know what they are talking about in this area.

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Who was it said FB, Twitter and Blogger were the Holy Trinity of narcissism? :~)

What will happen with Twitter is what has happened with the other two members of that unholy trinity. The Pope’s Twitter feed will become yet another echo chamber. For all that the twits are being their usual charming selves towards this news, the Catholics responding are being their usually ugly-minded and equally hateful selves in their responses.

One of the main reasons I’m no longer Catholic is because of the Catholic blogosphere. The pettiness and meanness and schoolyard bullying that goes on among these supposed “good” Catholics was pretty much the final nail in the coffin as far as my relationship with the Catholic Church goes.

This Twitter thing is bound to end the same way, with the Vatican probably putting out news items and so forth, but the usual suspects on either “side” using the feed as an excuse to snipe away at each other.

I seriously wonder if the internet and all the nastiness that comes with it is not truly the “abomination that causes all desolation”, lol!

I dunno. I have a Twitter account that I haven’t seen in over a year, and that I used to use mostly to follow my favorite food trucks and craft breweries, shallow beer-guzzlin’, rib-eatin’ thing that I am. Which is pretty much all it’s good for. Only now there’s one website here that aggregates all the greasy and hoppy goodness in one place, so I haven’t bothered with it in ages. So good luck to him, I guess, but I doubt it will end well.

Carolina21 on December 3, 2012 at 6:40 PM/

Yep. left the church and mission posting with an agenda. We’ll put a tic next to your name in the insincere column.

tom daschle concerned on February 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

So exercised she had to be exorcised.

steebo77 on February 11, 2013 at 5:53 PM

tom daschle concerned on February 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Good catch

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Sorry, but I think you are suffering from serious psychological problems. Nobody is threatening you with sexual assault.

Here is another quote from the Palin thread.

And, just so ya know, the reason I react so vehemently and so personally to Palin is because one of her mindless, glassy-eyed fangirls said something so obscene to me after I expressed a LEGITIMATE concern about her quitting the governorship that I will never, ever, the longest day I live, react any other way.

I see a pattern here.

Gelsomina on February 11, 2013 at 5:59 PM

tom daschle concerned on February 11, 2013 at 5:50 PMGood catchworkingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Great catch indeed. And they lie to your face.

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Let’s get back on topic, please.

Ed Morrissey on February 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM

tom daschle concerned on February 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Agreed — good catch. Her posts were becoming weirder and weirder and I figured sooner or later she’d out herself in a big way.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM

This is a man of the deepest faith. With the fullest knowledge of the world and its realities. And yet he knows with some certainty what God wants of him. What the world needs of him. It takes tremendous prayer to be able to have some peace and certainty to make a move like this.

-Kathryn Jean Lopez-

Gelsomina on February 11, 2013 at 6:05 PM

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I was glued to it all during JPII’s funeral Mass and the subsequent convocation and election of Benedict XVI, and I plan on watching again.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I am grateful I had EWTN to hear his words. God bless him

entagor on February 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Agreed.

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

There will also be a lot of great catholic commentary on catholic blogs…like the Anchoress etc.

Father Z & Msgr. Pope will be interesting to follow.

Conclave in the internet era….with growing catholic presence on the net.

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Then. I’ll part ways with this thread by saying be of good cheer to my brothers and sisters in Christ who are of the Catholic faith. No doubt a man such as this is to be respected for his decision. And no doubt you have people who will use any reason to attack you. Christians of all faiths need to stand together.

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Sexual abuse of minors is evil…
You’re disgusting.

Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Depends on what you call a “minor”. To use the ghey activists’ tactic, you’re just imposing your morals about an arbitrary number on someone else.

Nutstuyu on February 11, 2013 at 6:16 PM

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Thank you for your encouraging and kind words and your support. I’ve been following this thread and your comments since early this morning.

God bless you.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Molestation is a crime no matter who the victim is. Whether the priest is gay or straight, whether the victim is a boy or a girl, 6 years old or 16 years old. All such cases are equally monstrous.

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM

No, they are not equally monstrous. Not that I want anything to do with 16 yr olds, but we need to stop this false moral outrage at 16 yr olds having sex. Once they’ve hit puberty, they are fair game according to the logic of the homophile activists.

Nutstuyu on February 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

God bless you.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I’ll 2nd that…

Thanks for all the good wishes and encouragement on what started as a difficult day for many Catholics.

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Ora pro Eo
Mother Angelica hooked me on EWTN. This channel opened up their Catholic home to everyone with the death of the last Pope, and covered every moment of the ancient prayers and services. I watched it all.

It got me a good lesson in humility. Just after the selection of Benedict, a squirrel made the mistake of getting stuck in the vent pipe of my water heater. When the equipment was dismantled, the long gone squirrel came out, and his head rolled across the floor. Never having had a preserved squirrel head, I saved it, but friends found out and were totally disgusted with me. I was, honestly mortified

TO make up to them, I went back to my video tapes and got the Litany of the Saints, as chanted for Pope. I set up a proper burial in the yard, read the Litany, on camera, and showed them the service to prove I had repented. Sadly, some creature dug up Mr Squirrel and I think, ate him. At this point, my friends were even more disgusted. I swear, that is where I started getting serious about the seriousness of faith.

How many of the Saints were Martyrs. What a price they paid. Although I am too ornery to be a Catholic, it was that Church, imperfect like all, that preserved and spread the faith. Retained the language of the old texts, as monks and devoted copied by hand over the centuries the sacred words. Reformations come and go, and each generation fails, but in that religious body were believers true.

Set your DVRs to EWTN. The MSM will not save this for you. EWTN will translate.

entagor on February 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Just saw this on ABC. In case anyone is confused, what’s happening here is that the Roman Catholic Church now has an opportunity to embrace “the modern world” by embracing homosexuality, ordaining women as priests, and ending opposition to abortion.

So that’s what’s going on. That’s the story.

My body can’t figure out if it wants to throw things or vomit.

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM

entagor on February 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I agree — Mother Angelica and EWTN is quite the Catholic force and I’m a big fan of hers and the network as well. I penned the quote below on the Sunday before Election Day. If you haven’t already looked up these two books I’ve linked below, or if you don’t already know about them, do so — I think you’ll enjoy them.

I’m of the belief that one of the reasons EWTN became a reality in the first place was to combat the extreme liberalism that had infiltrated the Catholic Church in the United States. Mother Angelica was and is the real catalyst behind the channel being the force it is today. Not surprisingly, she does not like, and generally deplores, Catholic feminists, which is an additional plague upon the Church in the U.S.

If you are interested, look up her book: Mother Angelica’s Answers, Not Promises. I have it myself, and not only does it present the truths of Catholicism in a simple, easy-to-understand way, but Mother Angelica has a great sense of humor. I first borrowed her book from a library, and as I was paging through it there, I almost had to be picked up off the floor, I was laughing so hard at her insights.

I also have her biography, Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles, which is also excellent and worth reading. She recounts the story of how EWTN came to be in both books.

PatriotGal2257 on November 4, 2012 at 4:13 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Silly me, a Catholic living in my own personal “Dark Age.” Thank God for ABC! They’ve set me straight at last. /

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM

UNSTINKINGBELIEVABLE…erin burnett, pope is resigning and she goes straight to pediophila and gay marriage…is the catholic church going to evolve because AMERICANS believe in gay marriage..

PUHLEEZE

cmsinaz on February 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM

womans issue is the key…we need women priests in the catholic church NOW
-ern burnett

holy cow…

cmsinaz on February 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM

You haven’t been given a spirit of confusion, but of a sound mind.

. . . and you’re going to need it ’cause the world is going full tea-pot. :)

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM

cmsinaz on February 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM

cmsinaz on February 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Just turn all the main MSM channels off and tune in to EWTN and/or read the many orthodox Catholic blogs as was mentioned upthread, such as the Anchoress, Fr. Z’s blog (http://wdtprs.com/blog), etc.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 7:14 PM

holy cow…

cmsinaz on February 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM

It’s all they know about any of this. It’s all they have to talk about.

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Let’s get back on topic, please.

Ed Morrissey on February 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Thanks Cap’n.

This is not the place for petty disputes. This is a logical time to discuss where the Catholic Church goes from here on out since they are losing, publicly, one of their most conservative voices. Other than the American cardinals, is anyone familiar with the possibly choices for elevation to the highest position in the Catholic faith? Is anyone familiar with their ideological beliefs and desires as to the path of the Church in the future?

njrob on February 11, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I do hope the tempest won’t spin in reverse. I might get nauseous./
That is, assuming I’m not already, from knowing about ABC’s reporting.

Thanks, Axe. :)

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I knew that I remembered you from somewhere.

Gelsomina on February 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Yes…so because I don’t worship at the shrine of your idol I’m…not a Catholic…?

You REALLY need to get out and get a life, dear. Really.

Carolina21 on February 11, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Good idea. I’ve taken care of that for you.

Ed Morrissey on February 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Drat it … I’m late to the thread, and was just beginning to be entertained by all this, then Carolina21‘s attorney and PD advise him (her?) to stop posting.
I always miss all the real fun … : (

listens2glenn on February 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM

So that’s what’s going on. That’s the story.

My body can’t figure out if it wants to throw things or vomit.

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM

When the previous Pope (I can’t remember his name, but EVERYONE loved him) passed away, and deliberations began to pick a replacement, I wondered whether get one like unto the one that just passed away. His was a tough act to follow.
Then the “smoke” went out, and the announcement was made.
For a short time I still wondered what he would be like, until the Journalists started moaning and “crying the blues” over the choice.

I had my answer … : )

listens2glenn on February 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

listens2glenn on February 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Pope John Paul II.

This was a superb made-for-TV movie about his life.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I had my answer … : )

listens2glenn on February 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I like the way you think. :) Here’s hoping for some more weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Axe on February 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM

listens2glenn on February 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

It takes nothing away from Pope Benedict XVI — he is brilliant in his own right. I, along with many other Catholics on this forum and around the world, was stunned and saddened by his announcement this morning.

When my hubby woke up, I told him. He thought I was making it up. I told him it was way too early for April Fool’s Day.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

listens2glenn on February 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Yeah…

This morning my daughter called me, she was upset and I had to calm her down a bit.

I told her by the time I was not much older than she is now there had been three Popes already.

John Paul II had an unusually long papacy and she grew up with both John Paul II and Benedict XVI.

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Good riddance. His papacy drove my wife out of the Church. Reactionary jerk.

urban elitist on February 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

BallisticBob on February 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 6:15 PM

THIS

redlucy on February 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM

We look to be from the same era. :)

I was a sophomore in college in 1978 when Paul VI died, then John Paul I’s sudden death and then John Paul II’s election. We were all shaken and very saddened over the unexpected death of John Paul I — that hit us all hard. And Pope John Paul II … wow. He and Benedict XVI can rightfully be considered two of the greatest popes in modern church history.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:04 PM

We look to be from the same era. :)

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I agree.

Pope Benedict XVI is a remarkable Pope and I trust his faith that the college will be guided in their next choice.

According to witnesses, Pope Benedict XVI was calm and serene when he made his announcement.

He’s become quite frail physically, and suffers pain just walking short distances and moving like he needs to when celebrating Mass. According to some inside the Vatican, he is also beginning to have trouble reading texts.

There is nothing like the strength of 1.2 billion prayers on earth and I’m certain
many are praying for him and for the Cardinals attending the conclave.

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM

many are praying for him and for the Cardinals attending the conclave.

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM

And we will trust that the Holy Spirit will show us his worthy successor.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

For those interested…the Daily Mail has their speculation list with their commentary…

Of course it’s the Daily Mail….

9/4 Cardinal Peter Kodwo Appiah Turkson, 64
Country: Ghana Cardinal in the Ghanaian Catholic Church
Elevated to cardlinalate by Pope John Paul II
Significant views: Would like to see a black pope. Believes condoms should be used in marriage if one partner is infected with Aids.

5/2 Cardinal Marc Ouellet, 68
Country: Canada
Elevated to the cardinalate by Pope John Paul II
Significant views: Belief that abortion is unjustifiable, even in cases of rape

7/2 Cardinal Francis Arinze, 80
Country: Nigeria
Elevated to cardlinalate by Pope John Paul II
Significant views: Extreme conservatism on birth control and abortion

7/1 Cardinal Angelo Scola, 71
Country: Italy
Elevated to become Archbishop of Milan by Benedict XVI
Significant views: Wants to work more closely with Islam and support Christians in the Middle East

10/1 Cardinal Oscar Rodriguez Maradiaga, 70
Country: Honduras
Elevated to cardinalate by Pope John Paul II
Significant views: A moderate but is anti-abortion and criticised Ricky Martin for using a surrogate mother

12/1 Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, 78
Country: Italy
Elevated to cardinalate by Pope John Paul II
Significant views: Blamed homosexual infiltration of the clergy for Catholic child sex scandals

14/1 Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco, 70
Country: Italy
Elevated to cardinalate by Pope Benedict XVI
Significant views: Strongly against abortion and expressed anger towards same-sex unions

16/1 Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, 77
Country: Argentina
Elevated to cardinalate by John Paul II
Significant views: Against abortion and euthanasia, is against same-sex marriage but calls for respect of gay people. Washed the feet of 12 Aids patients in 2001.

20/1 Cardinal Leonardo Sandri, 69
Country: Argentina
Elevated to cardinalate by Benedict XVI
Significant views: Said Christians in Iraq under Saddam Hussein were more free than they are now

25/1 Cardinal Christoph von Schonborn, 68
Country: Austria
Elevated to cardinalate by John Paul II
Significant views: Said use of a condom by an Aids sufferer could be seen as a ‘lesser evil’.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2276884/Pope-Benedict-XVI-resigns-First-Pontiff-600-years-stand-longer-strength-carry-on.html#ixzz2Kdx0QCzW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM

many are praying for him and for the Cardinals attending the conclave.

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM

And we will trust that the Holy Spirit will show us his worthy successor.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Indeed….

We may be surprised again.

Meanwhile does Pope Benedict XVI continue his ordinations?

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

My all-time favorite photo of Pope Benedict XVI is this.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Indeed….

We may be surprised again.

Meanwhile does Pope Benedict XVI continue his ordinations?

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

We will be surprised again, I’m sure. And in the weeks and months after the announcement, we will see that the Holy Spirit’s guidance has been perfect and so right. Of course — it can’t be otherwise.

As for the ordinations, I don’t know. I’ll have to look that up.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 8:45 PM

My all-time favorite photo of Pope Benedict XVI is this.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 8:39 PM

That’s a good one.

I like this one that St. Peter’s List worked up…

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Love it!! I’m going to bookmark that.

PatriotGal2257 on February 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I’m going to go slightly off topic with this. I had heard the story when I was a kid, and have the stamp in my stamp collection, but the 70th anniversary of the occurrence passed on Feb 3 without the media making any comment.

It was one of the seminal “inter-faith dialogs” of WWII.

unclesmrgol on February 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

I like this one that St. Peter’s List worked up…

workingclass artist on February 11, 2013 at 8:53 PM

LOL! And I thought the “Santa Pope” was funny!

The only way that picture could be improved is by having him in his papal garb. “The Pope is Drinking A Beer … your argument is now rendered irrelevant.”

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM

smoothsailing on February 11, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Some people’s kids. :-)

hawkdriver on February 11, 2013 at 9:23 PM

unclesmrgol on February 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

My grandfather had that stamp. He was on the last successful sailing of the Dorchester to Greenland; it was torpedoed on the very next trip.

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Of course it’s the Daily Mail….

Arinze is an entertaining speaker, but I can’t imagine that his age (80) is doing him any favors.

A lot of people seem pretty high on Ouellet and Turkson this time.

I seem to remember at the last conclave in 2005 the more progressive wing of the Catholic Church was hoping Schonborn would get in.

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM

More like 10.2 million faithful and 1.1 billion “cafeteria Catholics”. I only hope the number of “cafeteria Catholics” increases. There is no excuse for the evil that the Catholic hierarchy perpetuates under the claim of “morality”.

thuja on February 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Meanwhile, the Cardinal Peter Turkson = Peter the Roman = False Prophet = Antichrist = Impending Doomsday conspiracy videos on YouTube are popping up like dandelions in my yard in summer.

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 10:35 PM

thuja on February 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

The only thing you can possibly mean is the scandal, and that’s being dealt with, albeit after much delay.

bmmg39 on February 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM

thuja on February 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Oh, so sorry the Church stands in the way of your unfettered baby killing.

hawkdriver on February 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM

thuja on February 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Oh, so sorry the Church stands in the way of your unfettered baby killing.

hawkdriver on February 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM

I don’t believe that’s what was meant, but it would be great if thuja would provide some examples of what was meant.

listens2glenn on February 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM

thuja on February 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM

bmmg39 on February 11, 2013 at 10:49 PM

The reforms relating to the scandal began in the Dallas Dioceses after the Kos trial about 1994-95.

workingclass artist on February 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Of course it’s the Daily Mail….

A lot of people seem pretty high on Ouellet and Turkson this time.

JimLennon on February 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Maybe it will be someone unexpected like Wojtyła?

workingclass artist on February 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM

hawkdriver on February 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM

listens2glenn on February 12, 2013 at 12:45 AM

It’s what I meant. Funny what people limit the term evil to. Mass murder of a generation of babies or child abuse. Both evil. Only thuga loves one of them.

hawkdriver on February 12, 2013 at 6:01 AM

Maybe it will be someone unexpected like Wojtyła?

workingclass artist on February 12, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I would love it to be Raymond Cardinal Burke, mainly because I love him, but also just to see leftist Catholics’ heads explode!

“As long as a Catholic politician continues to support legislation which fosters abortion or other intrinsic evils, then he should be refused holy communion.”
Cardinal Burke to Irish bishops and priests amid the debate in Ireland to legalize abortion.

If they considered Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger God’s rottweiler, I’d say Raymond Cardinal Burke might be His pit bull. ;)

pannw on February 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM

With the surprising and sudden resignation of Pope Benedict XVI, a new pontiff will soon be elected. According to the “Petrus Romanus” prophecy, this pope will be the last and will bring the destruction of Rome as well as the apocalypse.

St. Malachy, a bishop, went to Rome at the request of Pope Innocent II in 1139, according to Catholic-Pages.com. St. Malachy received a vision that outlined a list of 112 popes, starting with Celestine II, who succeeded Innocent, and the last pope, Petrus Romanus, would signal the destruction of Rome as well as the end of the world. The Prophecy of St. Malachy was discovered and published by historian Arnold de Wyon in 1595. Wyon discovered the manuscript in Roman archives.

J_Crater on February 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

J_Crater on February 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

(sigh)

We’ve been through this. Look back on pages 1-3 of the comments.

JimLennon on February 12, 2013 at 3:53 PM

J_Crater on February 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Ratzinger had to know the prophecy when he chose the name ‘Benedict’. The second to the last Pope in the prophecy would be the ‘glory of the olive’. The olive is the symbol of the Benedictine order. More mysteries.

John Paul became Pope at the beginning of the slide into decadence in the Western world. I remember the first tentative disses, including a European pop song mocking ‘popie jopie’. John Paul held himself strongly pro Life, against the growing demand to cheapen life. He was sometimes portrayed as an anachronism, anti woman etc. He got a lot more coverage than Benedict by the MSM, most of it respectful, but questioning his failure to change with the times.

Benedict gets virtually zero coverage. The MSM, the web are full of criticisms of his worthlessness, his hidden evils, his heartlessness towards the victims of Catholic coverups etc. Meanwhile, he is a prolific writer, an amazing theologian. The stuff he puts out in Homilies blows my mind. IMHO he is witnessing with his words the degradation of a society that discards God.

If John Paul was digging in his heels to slow down the Titanic, Benedict was trying to turn the ship. His New Evangelization, not covered by press, is having fruits. His words are scoring hits, so his enemies are Legion, and their attack on him mighty

Benedict’s first Easter Homily mentioned an ecumenicism of those who believe in Christ and those who do not. So much is on the cusp.

I pray we get a man as good as the last two. Catholic conservatives held out for Life, and in the end, they won, because they are about to tip the numbers. Evangelicals would be very alone with the Catholics

If anyone thinks the papacy is a joke, they do not know what two men accomplished. And I miss Billy Graham too, who also did not give in on his faith

entagor on February 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM

sorry, typo:

Evangelicals would be very alone with without the Catholics

entagor on February 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM

As Cardinal Ratzinger and as Pope Benedict, the 4 words that I think best describe this great man (and probably saint) are:

Brilliant
Sweet
Faithful
Humble

We were so blessed by Our Lord Jesus Christ to have this man as our Holy Father.

May God always bless him and give him the peace and tranquility he is so deserving of when he once again becomes Cardinal Ratzinger.

Elisa on February 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Thanks to all of you who have encouraged people to watch EWTN.

Best station EVER.

Elisa on February 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Yeah, I’m sure they’d be hating on the 23 years of happy monogamy and the combined 20 years our two children spent in Catholic schools.

urban elitist on February 11, 2013 at 8:12 AM

It’s nice to know that some portion of what the Church teaches stuck.

unclesmrgol on February 13, 2013 at 4:31 PM

May the road rise to meet you …

Presiding over his last public Mass — on Ash Wednesday, the opening of Lent, a period viewed by Catholics as a time of reflection and penance — Pope Benedict XVI asked his flock to dwell on the true nature of a Christian life.

“Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.”
James 1:27