Video: Christie yells at former White House doctor for worrying about his weight

posted at 6:41 pm on February 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, why is a guy who’s used his weight to brilliant effect politically suddenly throwing tantrums over a doctor noting that extreme obesity can be life-threatening? If I smoke six packs a day, does a doctor need to see my blood work in order to formally conclude that that might pose a health risk down the line? She’s a Republican who likes Christie, for cripes sake. Or rather, “liked”:

Mariano, a Republican, said she no longer thought she could back Christie in 2016.

“The way he acted lately I don’t think so,” she said. “He wasn’t very nice to me. Politically if this is the way [he handles] stress. … Is this presidential? I’ll have to think about that. Is this a presidential way to behave? C’mon.”

The dirty little secret about Christie’s weight is that it’s more of an asset to him than a liability. It’ll be an issue if he runs for president but we live in an age where voters don’t blink at nominating septuagenarians, even ones with a history of cancer. The fact that he looks so unlike others pols actually bolsters his image as the un-politician, the guy who looks like people you see on the street, who’ll cut the crap and supposedly tell you the truth when other presidential aspirants are worried about how that might look. That being so, I don’t get the overreaction here at all.

Comments

A day without christie yelling/stomping his feet about something is a day without sunshine?

I don’t care what christie weighs, or what he does/says he is NOT going to get our votes. He is about as arrogant/snotty/hateful as bho and WE already have bho to deal with!
L

letget on February 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

At the risk of sounding like a hipster, I was tired of this guy before it became fashionable.

MechanicalBill on February 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

William Howard Taft.

That’s all that needs saying.

listens2glenn on February 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Pass the popcorn.

locomotivebreath1901 on February 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Folks, I’m pretty hefty, so I am not biased. But the pace and the pressure of a presidential campaign, coupled with his temperament? The campaign likely would KILL him.

michaelo on February 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM

That being so, I don’t get the overreaction here at all.

Well, you didn’t even touch it. :) She told him his weight was a bad deal; he threw a Christie-fit (might as well get that ball rolling now); and you went into election calculus.

I dunno. Maybe he was just hungry.

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

…the elephant is only our symbol!

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I don’t get the overreaction here at all.

There’s not much to it. Typical Christie. He bitches and moans, then eats ten chocolate scones.

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

You think Hillary’s weight and drinking will be an issue..?

d1carter on February 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Every single fat cell (and Chris has plenty) is a live cell and therfore needs blood and oxygen. Every extra blood vessel created to nourish all that fat, puts an extra strain on his cardiovascular and respiratory systems.

The doc was well withing her rights to point out an unhealth lifestyle. I’m only 10 pounds overweight, but my doc never misses a chance to remind me.

Mr. Grump on February 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

MechanicalBill on February 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I guarantee you I was tired way before you.

And I also moved out of Williamsburg a few years back, before it got so mad-played-out. /

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Is Mariano actually the one who wrote this skit?

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

That being so, I don’t get the overreaction here at all.

Not much to it. Typical Christie. He b*tches and moans, then eats 10 chocolate scones.

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Why was Obama’s smoking habit never an issue in running for President, but Christie’s weight is? And I don’t even like Christie.

Bitter Clinger on February 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Umm… Doesn’t this have something to do with the press getting bored of Christie and deciding that they want to hang out with the Savior instead? Methinks that someone is jealous. He knifed Romney in the back and got abandoned for the newer and shinier toy a few months later.

Also, for such a tough Jersey guy, it was such a thin skinned response. Yes, the weight thing will come up if he runs. Opposition will be concerned about it to discredit him. Lots of petty attacks like that come up in politics. This is why people don’t get into politics except narcissists like Christie.

Illinidiva on February 8, 2013 at 6:59 PM

You think Hillary’s weight and drinking will be an issue..?

d1carter on February 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Exactly. Nothing about this is out of any altruistic concern for Christie’s weight or health. This is concern trolling, intended entirely to start whispers of “He’s too fat to be President!” among the electorate. Are we really to believe that this doctor was positively-inclined toward Christie before he snapped back at her? And now she’s done an about-face? /GUFFAW

Some seem to be letting their disdain for Christie (well-deserved though it is) prevent them from seeing this for what it really is.

Jeddite on February 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I know what this really is and am still not going to defend the guy.

Illinidiva on February 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

If it wasn’t always the worry that just the Republican nominee who would drop dead, go senile, or can’t handle this brave new world of technology we’re in… sure, I’d gloss over the doctor’s vocal and public observation about his weight. But where are the doctors saying something about Obama’s smoking or his extreme skinniness/laziness? Where are the doctors worrying about senility in Biden?

No… what brings me to agreeing why Christie getting pissed is how one sided all these ‘helpful’ armchair medical exams are targeting. Sure Christie might not be in the greatest health but he’s a pretty active man and I haven’t seen him drop yet, maybe the doctor should have y’know, consulted with Christie’s doctor and gotten his more knowledged opinion on the matter rather than turn a health concern into a political concern. Maybe it should be more concern how our President nods off while listening to speeches, shows up late, needs constant vacations and relaxation… I mean you would think someone going for a demanding job position would actually have the endurance for such a position.

Ukiah on February 8, 2013 at 7:10 PM

William Howard Taft.

That’s all that needs saying.

listens2glenn on February 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Yep and he lived into his 70s.

That woman should keep her nose out of Christie’s bidness.

CW on February 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

His weight doesn’t even work into the equation of why I don’t want him as a nominee.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Pass the popcorn.

locomotivebreath1901 on February 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Here, let’s have some donuts to go with that.

petefrt on February 8, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I think he’s just practicing to be a Democrat for the next presidential.

avagreen on February 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I know what this really is and am still not going to defend the guy.

Illinidiva on February 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

But now I want to know what this really is.

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

What business does the doctor have commenting on his health at all? I understand Christie’s irritation here. She hasn’t examined him, or his medical records, so to say that she fears he could die in office is ridiculous. We’ve had overweight presidents before.

And, for her to complain that he wasn’t very nice to her? Boo hoo. Would she be nice to someone passing judgment on her health from afar? Doubt it.

changer1701 on February 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM

*NVM. I guess your first was “what this really is.”

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I agree..:)

Dire Straits on February 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Doesn’t her discussion of his specific health issues violate HIPAA?

malclave on February 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Worst things about Chris Christie……

1-Liberal
2-Jerk
3-Entire left from Obama to media like him
4-Passive aggresive help to Obama before election
5-Attention whore
6-437

The weight is the least of my concerns.

KMav on February 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Mariano told CNN earlier this week she worried about Christie’s weight if he ever made it to the White House, calling it a “time bomb.” Christie fired back, labeling Mariano a “hack who just wants her five minutes on television.”

She is a hack, and a concern troll. She could have easily contacted Christie privately had she been truly concerned about his health. Instead she gets on CNN and runs her mouth.

Christie criticized her privately, and to her face. We would not have known about that encounter, had she not raced again to a camera to cry about the mean fat guy.

“I don’t think he realized who he was talking to,” Mariano said. “I think I’m qualified to make a comment.”

I think Christie knew exactly who he was talking to.

Mr. Arkadin on February 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I don’t care for Christie much, though it is fun to see him rant at folks…

That being said, when anyone gives a shite about Obama being a Marxist, I’ll begin to care about Christie being fat.

catmman on February 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Who cares about Christie’s weight? His problem is that he’s a despicable, backstabbing traitor who went out of his way to help the only real America-hater, and dumbest person, ever in US political history be re-elected to an office he isn’t even eligible for. Christie should hide his head in eternal shame and humiliation for what he did.

That is all anyone ever needs to know about Christie. The despicable, stupid, backstabbing, traitor who strode hand-in-hand with the America-hating enemy of the West and all civilization. There is a special place in hell reserved for the POS, right next to his buddy, Barky.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

THis ^^^

melle1228 on February 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

…the elephant is only our symbol!

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2013 at 6:53 PM

LOL… that is a very good one :)

mnjg on February 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

…he has a big fat mouth…I don’t care about the other layers of fat…he’s as thin-skinned as JugEars!

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

If you have ever worked EMS it is pretty rough getting a person this size on a stretcher down 6 flights of stairs, especially if it’s dead weight.

docflash on February 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM

You think Hillary’s weight and drinking will be an issue..?

d1carter on February 8, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Never mind that — here’s a woman who couldn’t testify on Benghazi for a month because of a concussion and then a blood clot on her brain. After having a previous issue with clotting. Try to imagine a Republican candidate with those two incidents not having them become an issue.

My bigger concern with Christie is he’s the lesser version of Rudy Giulaini — he had to do, and has done less to fix New Jersey than Giuliani did to fix New York, and he’s far more willing to suck up to the media and certain other key Democrats than Rudy did while Clinton was in office to get favorable press. Of course his weight’s going to be the big health issue in 2016 if he were to win the nomination, even if Hillary had to have aneurism surgery during the campaign (the media would describe it as “Resting comfortable and spending the weekend with her family and close aides before being back 100 percent next week,“), but whoever the GOP pick is will have some problem turned into The Most Important Issue Of Our Lifetimes, whether it’s his weight, McCain’s skin cancer or Mitt’s dog-on-the-roof.

jon1979 on February 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I’m no fan of Christie’s lately, but he’s absolutely right on this issue and I don’t care that he wasn’t nice about it.

His weight is HIS business, not anybody else’s. Honestly, I don’t know what the heck goes through people’s minds when they deliberately CHOOSE to use poor manners and then cry foul when they’re answered in kind. It’s RUDE to criticize somebody’s personal appearance, regardless of your intent. It’s RUDE to butt your busy-body nose into someone’s health issues or dinner plate.

Murf76 on February 8, 2013 at 7:27 PM

…until he’s dead

That woman should keep her nose out of Christie’s bidness.

CW on February 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

He’s teasing a run for POTUS. His business is news. You’re probably a bit (or a lot) overweight yourself. Hence the butthurt.

Capitalist Hog on February 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Mr. Arkadin on February 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Well said. She had no business passing judgment on his health, period.

changer1701 on February 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM

In the two years between Jan 1st 2011 and Jan 1st 2013, the ONLY state in the country whose unemployment went up is NEW JERSEY! And it wasn’t because of the hurricane. It was higher before the hurricane even.

KMav on February 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Christie has a pattern of disrespecting the Bill of Rights. He supported the violation of Derek Fenton’s 1st Amendment rights, he supports gun control laws that infringe on the 2nd Amendment, and he yells at this doctor for giving him free medical advice while practicing her 1st Amendment rights. He should have thanked her, but instead he has the nerve to yell at her for intruding on his so called medical privacy, yet he can go on talk shows and make fun of his obesity, and he has no issue with central government intruding on all of America’s medical privacy by failing to support the state lawsuits against Obamacare, which is the same as endorsing Obamacare.

Tripwhipper on February 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM

I seriously doubt that and his New York/New Jersey permanently petulant “personality” won’t go over so swell in mainstream America.

VorDaj on February 8, 2013 at 7:42 PM

MechanicalBill on February 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

But are you tired of drinking PBR out of a can and listening to Remain in Light on vinyl?

forest on February 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Maybe Christie should sue that doctor for revealing the secret that he is a fat slob. I’m so sure no one had a clue before that doctor spoke up.

VorDaj on February 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Has everyone gotten so used to people telling you what to do? If Christie did not go to her in her capacity as a doctor, then it is none of her business. If she was really concerned for him, then she could have written him a note.

Texas Aggie on February 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Besides, he’s due to create a number of jobs next Thanksgiving for people to hold his tether ropes for the Macy’s parade.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 8, 2013 at 7:56 PM

The guy knows he’s overweight, he’s a big boy (no pun intended) and he’s not an idiot and when he thinks it’s time to do something about his weight, he will do it. He sure isn’t going to listen to some prima donna talk show doc lecture him about his health and he’s right to tell her to shut up with her unsolicited comments. I’m not a fan and I don’t want him for president but for chrissakes, people need to stop being so judgmental and righteous and mind their own business.

scalleywag on February 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Pass the popcorn.

locomotivebreath1901 on February 8, 2013 at 6:50 PM

There isn’t any. I wonder who ate it all?

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Doesn’t her discussion of his specific health issues violate HIPAA?

malclave

HIPAA or hippo? ;)

No, it isn’t a HIPAA violation. He’s not her patient, and she didn’t reveal any private information. She expressed her opinion.

xblade on February 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Mr. Arkadin on February 8, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Yep, I agree.

DaveDief on February 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM

William Howard Taft.

That’s all that needs saying.

listens2glenn on February 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Yep and he lived into his 70s.

That woman should keep her nose out of Christie’s bidness.

CW on February 8, 2013 at 7:11 PM

And Taft became a SCOTUS judge a decade after leaving the POTUS.

The difference here is that, Taft was a classic conservative, while Christie is anything BUT.

Myron Falwell on February 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Mr. Grump on February 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

She was not his doctor, hence has no right to say squat.

/not fat, just not buying it

Irritable Pundit on February 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

This post not worthy.

Sherman1864 on February 8, 2013 at 10:37 PM

scalleywag on February 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Wanna bet?

Cleombrotus on February 8, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Christie(D), oops, I guess the cat is out of the bag.

belad on February 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM

RINO. That’s my reason for not voting for him.

Philly on February 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM

If I smoke six packs…

No, you drink six packs. Lol, haha.
But seriously, Christie is a BIG advocate for global warming er climate change. And that’s been driven and positioned by leftists from the start. Funny that a big aggressive supporter now is Christie. It’s one thing to be reluctantly supportive of the climate change agenda, but Christie really throws his weight around on this. Not good.

anotherJoe on February 9, 2013 at 12:47 AM

He has issues, he has talent.

He would be built up then destroyed by the media if he ran for POTUS.

Ann Coulter has been mum lately. Speaking of which when will she become one?

I’m available and I will not even hold her incarceration at the red forge by the gorge against her.

IlikedAUH2O on February 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Everybody knows Christie is obese, and that being obese has health risks. I don’t see why she feels the need to pile-on – as if Christie didn’t know he should lose weight.

Plus the “he might die in office” argument has always been rubbish. Plenty have died in office, the republic will survive. That’s why there is a vice-president, and a chain of succession after that.

She’s just being a bully, and the fact that she has credentials just means she knows that what she says will be even more hurtful. If she was answering a question, she could have said that she didn’t want to speak about Christie in particular, but that in general obesity carries risks. If she really cared, she could have written him directly.

ebrawer on February 9, 2013 at 4:06 AM

“Th-th-th-that’s all folks!”

Panther on February 9, 2013 at 6:01 AM

The day he demeaned that Iraq war veteran by calling the veteran an “idiot” and telling him “I’m the governor, who are you?” made me realize he’s a RINO version of Barney Frank…

NHElle on February 9, 2013 at 7:03 AM

typical fatas@ no thanks, i’ll vote for someone else.

unseen on February 9, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Let this arrogant obnoxious pompous man near the White house and America will end up with mass emigraton–leaving Hades on earth to the folks that want it that way.
I suspect someday he’ll try telling God how to run thing properly his way.

Don L on February 9, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Mr. Grump on February 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

She was not his doctor, hence has no right to say squat.

/not fat, just not buying it

Irritable Pundit on February 8, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Psst, under Obamacare every bureaucrat and the entire IRS is now “your docktor” and that right to privacy found in Roe vs Wade? Well, those commie feminists really didn’t want it so they rushed to push in Obamasdontcare.

Don L on February 9, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Time for a tax payer funded junket of the first “lady” and 500 of her closest friends to go to some third world country and eat every
crustacean, chocolate and steak in that country.

After cleaning out that countries food stores make sure to come back and mandate healthy foods at schools and then blame Bush for obesity.

acyl72 on February 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I wonder how she brought it up.
“Mr. Christie, there’s one thing that does concern me a little bit, let’s talk about this for a minute… your weight is xxxlbs… if you want, I can work with you on a diet, because this is a health concern, as you probably know…”

or

“Hey Fatso, if you don’t lay down the burgers you’ll die very soon!”

ChristianRock on February 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Face it, the guy’s a walking heart attack…

Pest on February 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM

christie compared to corzine is a Saint4newjersey!
enough said.

losarkos on February 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM

The NJ Dems seem to like him for the most part. In the end, Christie’s going to do what’s best for Christie.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 9, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I’d pay to see fat Jersey Christie and that nanny boo-boo Asian Doctor mud wrestle on Leno’s show.

el Vaquero on February 9, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I have a serious case of contempt going for this loud-mouthed, fat-assed, opportunistic, back-stabbing traitor of a RINO.

If the GOP nominates him in 2016, I hope they lose.
And I don’t care if he’s running against Obama, seeking an illegal third term.

DRayRaven on February 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I think the fat is going to his head.

Step away from the doth-protest-too-much buffet, governor.

profitsbeard on February 10, 2013 at 3:03 AM

She was the doctor to three Presidents and was asked what her concerns would be were she to be the doctor of a President Christie.She responded honestly and with concern.The fact is that he is in the public eye and is hardly a role model for the youth in our country,much less the huge number of obese adults.It is interesting that he can joke about himself for Dave Letterman but can’t handle the well meaning concerns of a highly qualified professional.He has earned the epithet of pathetic.

redware on February 10, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Christie is a New Jersey Republican. That means he is basically a “moderate.” Is he too moderate for me and most conservatives? Probably, but let us see who else is running in 2016 before we worry about how he looks. In the long run the only people that matters to are the syncophants that make up the left leaning main stream media. If Christie’s weight is going to be the most serious issue we face in 2016, then it isn’t going to matter; the country will already be doomed.

georgeofthedesert on February 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM