Rand Paul to give tea-party group’s response to State of the Union after Rubio delivers GOP’s

posted at 5:08 pm on February 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

Not unusual but still significant. Paul’s delivered his own SOTU rebuttal each year since joining the Senate. The Tea Party Express has sponsored a SOTU rebuttal each year during the same period, with Michele Bachmann and Herman Cain having done the honors in 2011 and 2012, respectively. The news here isn’t that they’re hooking up, it’s that someone of Paul’s national prominence and ambition is upstaging another nationally prominent, ambitious colleague at a moment when the party’s trying to leave him alone in the spotlight.

This rivalry’s been brewing for awhile in various ways but I can’t recall a clearer expression of it than this.

Paul will make his remarks soon after Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Florida, wraps up the GOP response Tuesday night, a Paul spokeswoman confirms to CNN.

“We are giving a voice to the tea party movement when the mainstream media and the Republican establishment wants to write us off as dead,” said Amy Kremer, chairman of the Tea Party Express…

“We expect many of our supporters and many of Rand Paul’s supporters, freedom loving, liberty loving Americans to be there because this is our time to be heard,” Kremer said. “We are proud that Marco Rubio is giving the official Republican Party response because he is a tea party conservative and one of our own. But the Republican Party doesn’t necessarily speak for all conservatives and the tea party movement has its own voice and this is our chance to be heard.”

The temptation is to call Rubio the loser in this deal because he’s being upstaged. Is he, though? He’s been inching away from the tea-party label since literally the moment he became a senator. According to a CNN poll taken shortly after the election, the TP’s favorable rating is 32/50. Part of the reason he’s taken up immigration reform enthusiastically is because it lets him show centrists ahead of 2016 that he’s not the “hardline conservative” or whatever that he was sporadically billed as being circa 2010. Having Paul deliver the “official” tea-party SOTU response only underscores that. You can see both of their 2016 primary strategies shaping up here: Paul will run to the right while he tries to build credibility with centrists and Rubio will run a bit further to the center while he tries to maintain his credibility with the right. (Kremer’s approving mention of him in the excerpt suggests he’s doing okay with that — so far.) The real losers here are Paul Ryan and Jindal, who risk being marginalized if the party starts to get caught up in a Rubio/Paul rivalry.

Exit question: In what meaningful ways will Paul’s “tea party” address sharply differ from Rubio’s official GOP response?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

If in addition to allowing the debt ceiling, taxes and spending to be increased the GOP also allows gun-control or amnesty to pass, it with be the final nail in the GOPe’s coffin—or so I hope—because unless the GOP turns itself around or finishes itself off it is in the way of something better, something useful.

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM

If the GOP picks Rubio or Christie I’ll be voting 3rd party and don’t care which one they pick.

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Rubio is nowhere near as bad as Christie. And probably won’t go nuclear on his Republican primary opponents, the free markets, and individualism like Christie will (and Romney did).

besser tot als rot on February 8, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Rubio is more conservative than Ronald Reagan ever was, and speaks just as well… If people go the whole “I’m voting third party route” then say hello to President Clinton. I’m all for finding the most conservative candidate we can – preferably Cruz or Paul. Stuff like a Tea Party response to the STOTU is unproductive, though. The Tea Party should hold people in office accountable, not cherry pick someone like Paul as a leader for the movement. Otherwise the movement is really losing its point. It’s not a political part, it is a force for accountability, and hopefully one that can push the GOP to the right.

If people start thinking in the whole divide the party mindset then we will assuredly lose. What we need to do is win in the GOP primary system without going nuclear, and move forward with the resulting product. We lost this last election because all of the supposedly conservative primary candidates blew each other out of the water and pushed Romney to the front of the pack as the last man standing. Let’s not do that again.

Rubio, Cruz, Paul, Ryan, Jindal, Martinez. I’d be happy with any of them over Hillary in 2016. Let’s focus on a clean campaign of ideas – in The Republican Party – leading up to 2016, and whoever wins the primary carries our standard forward.

Seriously people – we are where the Democrats were in 2008. Hillary was the establishment and the Progressives pushed her aside for Obama. If they can defeat their parties establishment, certainly we can defeat ours. and trust me, Rubio is not our parties establishment. I guarantee you that once Christie wins re-election he is go to make a faux hard right push to prep for the primary and the Rove’s of the world are going to try and push him through Romney style. We have a track record of letting them do that to us (Romney, McCain, Dole… ). Time to win instead.

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I feel like a woman without a party, which, essentially, is what I am. I held my nose and voted for McCain in ’08; I held my nose and carried a barf bag and voted for Romney. I never thought I’d be saying this – but I will never do it again. If I had to vote today, I’d vote for Rand Paul. The one thing I will never do again is support a party that does not support what is good for our country.

MustLoveBlogs on February 8, 2013 at 6:11 PM

If winning elections was the only thing, then I would lie, steal and cheat. In other words I would be a Dim.

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM

No, I’m with you there. I’m going to be conservative now. Everyone else can make their own choices, but I’m not playing three-dimensional chess anymore, and I’m not going to live in damage control mode. Put someone in front of me that believes in the things I believe in, and I’ll vote for him or her. If America wants to be socialistic, it’s free to make that collective choice. As for me and my house . . . :)

But, you can see a lot of people right of center are still willing to support progressive ideas in exchange for power and getting a few conservative things done. I stood with them on The Battle of Romney.

We lost.

*one for my homies*

Above, I was just thinking that right-of-center can’t pull a popular vote now, and splitting it is going to compound the problem. I wonder if Rove thinks it’s better to get it over with now, consolidate power, and try again sans Tea Party.

And should the Tea Party work within the GOP, against those guys, and try to gain control — or split? Just because the GOP thinks they win in the end doesn’t mean they do. The shift has happened before; you mentioned Whigs.

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

In what way is Rubio more conservative than Reagan?

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Stuff like a Tea Party response to the STOTU is unproductive, though.

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

My view is that the concept of freedom has essentially no platform in today’s media. So as far as I’m concerned, if we can get more air time to give voice to the principles of free markets and free people that we should happily take it.

besser tot als rot on February 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM

It would seem we largely agree. Fancy that?!?! Lol! I need a good poem. ; )

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM

RUBIO VS RAND!!!

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!

johnnyboy on February 8, 2013 at 6:19 PM

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

In what way is Rubio more conservative than Reagan?

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Reagan hiked taxes, wasn’t as hard on foreign policy as history says he is, and allowed amnesty without border enforcement. Rubio would never be a tax hiker, and is putting himself to the front in the immigration debate to ensure that border enforcement is part of the equation.

I should add that all the people accusing Rubio of amnesty are missing the point. We have 11 million people here. Deporting them all would offend all of our fiscally conservative sensibilities, and they can’t self deport as Romney hoped they magically would…

Considering these people currently drain our ER costs and don’t pay taxes, whilst also undercutting our American workers salaries – what should we do? Sit put?

Suggesting Rubio is some evil “amnesty” supporter for taking part in the debate over how to get away from the current stays quo is bs. The current status quo is the ultimate amnesty. I wish more folks in the GOP had the balls to get in on the debate and sway Democrats like Schumer as far right as Rubio already has.

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Stuff like a Tea Party response to the STOTU is unproductive, though.

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

besser tot als rot on February 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I’m willing to bet most networks either cut away from Rand, or use him as a foil to make Rubio look more sensible. I don’t view it that way, but that is what the press will do. Rand should have given his own response – as he has done the last two years – without labeling it as a “Tea Party” response.

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Now is the time to get real issues, not Obysmal-contrived ones, out in front of the public.

onlineanalyst on February 8, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I respectfully disagree with your appraisal of Rubio.

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Well. We’re all guessing, right? I could be wrong. I certainly think that Rand Paul is much less likely to sell us out than Rubio or Jindal. But in my assessment, Rubio and Jindal (Jindal more so than Rubio) are more conservative right now than Christie, Romney, and McCain have been in their entire lives.

besser tot als rot on February 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Agreed. Doesn’t it speak to how much control we’ve wrestled away from liberals as far as the narrative on the size and scope of government that the great conservative hero is now farther to the left than our current RINOs?

That sounds like progress to me.

mintycrys on February 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

The Establishment sector of the R party has best start conceding ground and listening to the Conservative base a bit more. Else they will indeed never win another National election. The time is late but has not completely past.

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Oh, one last thing, Buddha could yet disappoint.

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

+1 on both your points.

kingsjester on February 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM

People please note the calendar…2013….When does the election occur…2016. This is pointless, it’s worse than December NCAA “Bracketology” or “Pre-Season” Rankings….

It wold be as if you were trying to tell me who, in 2010 was going to win the NCAA Tournament in 2013.

Also look back…in 1997 who was the R or D Front Runner? In 2005?

Give it a rest folks.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Stuff like a Tea Party response to the STOTU is unproductive, though.

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Palin’s “Drill, Baby Drill” comment managed to unsettle Oblamer, Oblamer’s media whores, and the GOP Beltway elite simultaneously.

A good thing.

viking01 on February 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Rubio, the puberty amateur, doesn’t know the first thing about Ronald Reagan’s adult foriegn policy principles.

VorDaj on February 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

But I will make this prediction, that WHOMSOEVER, the Republicans run in 2016, will NOT receive the votes of Honda and Pumice…because those people won’t be “Conservative” enough. Because they’d rather be “right” than in power… because power scares them.

I further vow to laugh at both of these knuckleheads all the way thru the intervening years.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Palin and Cain.

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM

For the record, I would have supported with a larger degree of satisfaction and comfort, either of these two over Romney. Over Rubio for that matter.

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Well, I think it’s nice Rand Paul is giving the response, and Rubio is slowly being taken over by the Establishment. Doesn’t really matter to me since I will not be watching the SOTU anyway.

lea on February 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM

is crazy eyes going to be facing the camera?

renalin on February 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM

besser tot als rot on February 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Indeed. The accumulation of debt and manipulation of markets by the D.C. crowd imperils the young ones who aren’t responsible for it. Their future deserves to be part of the discussion more than immigration or whatever the issue of the day the msm deigns to present.

And when the executive can get away with claiming that the freedom of the individual is dependent of decisions of the collective, it would be nice to have it called out by whoever can get the public’s attention.

wolfsDad on February 8, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I think it is fair to say you will see a Crist/Huntsman candidate….and one Ron Paul-type candidate (S/he just has to sound a little crazy to get all the Paulbots to jump on board his/her bandwagon, not be full-on crazy)and we’ll have the “Electable” Candidate and the Huckabee Candidate, and several Conservatives…..

But who exactly will fill these slots is unknowable and who will win is unknowable as well. Let’s see if we can’t turn back gun control, Comprehensive Immigration Reform, and get a budget out of the Senate this year.

I believe the Biblical phrase is, “Sufficient each day’s evil, thereunto.” Let’s worry about 2013 and then worry about 2016.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 6:44 PM

No chamelion can change as fast as a conservative republican after they get elected.

Don L on February 8, 2013 at 6:51 PM

That sounds like progress to me.

mintycrys on February 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

/rolls eyes

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Rubio will offer 50 percent of what Obama requests in the SOTU as his response. Rand Paul will go 25 percent.

Mormontheman on February 8, 2013 at 6:55 PM

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Didn’t you like how Johnson had that Unitarian Universalist Minister on the podium with him, during his Inaugural Speech? I did.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Yup, better to win with the enemy’s corrupt values, positons and deceit and then change what we believe after we get in. We’ll then we’ll be just like them, but we won, huh?
Any means to an end is always evil. Selling your soul to win scares me even more about the lack of character of the so called right…
And we blame the media?

Don L on February 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM

A Tea Party, Party speech? -Stupid.

Great plan: divide the GOP

Opinionnation on February 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 6:56 PM

So are you saying you agree with the other two that modern RINO’s are more conservative than Reagan?

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Great plan: divide the GOP

Opinionnation on February 8, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Works for me. One side refusing to listen the other side yelling.

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

What we need is more Michael Medved crying about libertarians/thirdpartians threatening to Republican establishment status quo.

Jeddite on February 8, 2013 at 7:06 PM

This is nothing but bad for Paul. He’s adding himself to a list of self promoters that includes Cain and Bachmann. Good luck winning an election with the crazy label.

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Excuse me, but are you retarded?

Do you expect someone to get themselves elected POTUS without being a self-promoter?

If you are in fact retarded, apologies. That would at least explain your failure to understand the basic fact that politics is about self-promotion.

If you are not retarded… well, don’t be so sure…

JohnGalt23 on February 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

JohnGalt23 on February 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Return of the blimp??!!??..:)

PS..Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on February 8, 2013 at 7:18 PM

…and that is why I have put Rubio in the back of the pack…while the establishment party was pushing Mr. Tangerine in Florida…Rubio couldn’t get enough of the tea-party support…now he is ‘inching away’ like other whore politicians…ready to give US the inches… we don’t want!

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Works for me. One side refusing to listen the other side yelling.

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Democrats sending you Christmas & birthday cards?

thebrokenrattle on February 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Your opinion is immaterial to me…you voted for Johnson. Don’t talk to me about who the GOP should or should not nominate….I won’t tell YOUR party who to nominate.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I love what Rand Paul says but there is a huge swath of the electorate that will stare at the poodle he wears on his head and not take him seriously. why can’t he just have a normal haircut.

phillysfinest on February 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 7:02 PM

They sorta are (maybe not all of them though). It’s okay to admit it! Reagan was pretty radical in his day for daring to fight the long entrenched progressive status quo. They thought he was far-right and crazy. Conservatives have pulled a sizable amount of the country to the right in light of the consistent failure of leftist ideas, and Reagan, while a vanguard of the conservative movement of his day, would be rather mavericky in this one because conservatives have found enough of a voice in the past thirty years to at least LOOK they care about the principles our nation was founded on and build on what he started.

mintycrys on February 8, 2013 at 7:23 PM

And we blame the media?

Don L on February 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM

I don’t know DonL…but right now I see the SCOTUS being up for grabs for decades, because D’s control both the WH and the Senate. I see a very liberal fellow at 1600 PA Ave.

And IF you supported a candidate who received probably less than 0.5% of the vote I don’t really care about your opinion… because you’ve decided it’s much better to be right than in power….

Now you and Pumice and Honda can have your little con-fab’s where you extol candidates who will LOSE (Guaranteed) or excoriate those who actually can change things for not changing them enough that’s fine, but I take a somewhat different view.

I don’t see it either or…EITHER we elect Gary Johnson or we vote for Obama…EITHER we adopt the ENTIRETY of the TEA/Libertarian Party platform TODAY or we sit on our hands.

Now you, Honda, and Pumice may feel differently.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Nice post..:)

Dire Straits on February 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM

because you’ve decided it’s much better to be right than in power

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:25 PM

. . . not sure that can stand on its own. The flip side would be: its much better to be in power than right.

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Blame yourself and anyone else who nominates Rubio. Rubio is a despicable worm I would never vote for. You want to push him on people then you are ensuring the left wins, just as you and your ilk did with the slimeball McShame and the idiot Romney.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Democrats sending you Christmas & birthday cards?

thebrokenrattle on February 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

No, didn’t even know they had such things. How did you know about such things. Hmm…..

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

IF you view politics as a venue to DO things, rather than be “right” then the flip side is correct, isn’t it?

Obama may not be the PERFECT Liberal/Progressive but he’s getting things done isn’t he? Now the Green Party and the Social Democrats or the Socialist Workers Party might not approve of all his actions, but they’d admit the he’s done more than they have….so you tell me, better power or correct ideology?

Being “out of power” is a chance to “sharpen the axe” sure and critique and brain storm and come up with new “products” sure, BUT unless you then get into power all those ideas are no more or less than fairy tales.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Rubio is a tool. He’ll never get this Hispanic’s vote. Never, ever, ever.

Never.

madmonkphotog on February 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Democrats sending you Christmas & birthday cards?

thebrokenrattle on February 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Of course now that you mention it, why have I been left off the list on the R side so often? Hmmm….unless they don’t have any such thing either of course. Say while we are conversing, I know of a fix for whats broken with you.

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I don’t like the things that worms like Rubio DO. I also don’t like people who support such a worm. I abhor people who try to push such worms on conservatives.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Good. GOPe speaks for itself, not for conservatives.

james23 on February 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

You don’t know what you’re talking about. Reagan did not hike taxes, and his amnesty plan included provisions for securing the border and other steps to ensure this would never happen again. In fact, in the words of Ted Kennedy himself, “NEVER AGAIN WILL WE NEED TO GRANT AMNESTY IF WE DO IT THIS TIME”. Guess what? The dems and Teddy lied, and never held up their end of the bargain, just like they won’t do this time, no matter what Rubio is selling you. And how do you know Rubio will never be a tax hiker? He’s already flip flopped on amnesty.

More crap. We’re not missing any point. Enforcing the law per the 1986 amnesty does not offend our fiscal fiscal sensibilities. Conservatives don’t have a problem with the government doing what it is supposed to do. And please, stop with the all or nothing strawman. It’s pretty much an admission that you’re not really interested in solving the problem. And why can’t they self-deport? Is that like an unwritten law of physics or something? Are you sure YOU’RE not the one relying on magic arguments?

Ahh yes, a favorite tactic of the amnesty shill….it’s either full amnesty or do nothing, lol. Because it’s like a rule or something that there are only 2 possible solutions to any problem.

I hate to break it to you, they STILL wouldn’t pay taxes if made legal, because the poor don’t pay taxes, and that’s what most of them would be. Also, Rubio wants to exempt them from Obamacare. Sheesh, American citizens don’t even get that benefit. So, not only are they exempt from contributing to the Obamacare system, they will still be able to hit up the ER for free medical care.

eski502

Rubio is pushing amnesty…period, and he’s criticized for taking part in a bogus debate that will make things worse than they are now. He hasn’t swung Schumer anywhere. On the contrary, Schumer has swung Rubio into buying into the democrat dream of yet one more amnesty. It is a loser.

xblade on February 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

. . . OK. No longer standing on its own. :)

I agree it would be silly to insist on all ten things on a bullet point list, pass up 8/10, and get none.

It does seem like we’re getting into 2,3 territory lately.

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM

eski502

Rubio, the worm, is pushing for MUCH MORE than mere amnesty. He’s aiding and abetting an even greater crime than that the illegals are committing, or even dreamed of committing. Rubio is giving aid and comfort to foreign invaders. He’s a traitorous piece of filth.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Look I’m a recovering

Palinista

, truth-to-tell I’d love for her to run and win…and depending on who is on the Democratic side, I don’t know if I can vote for Jeb Bush (Depends on whether he’s all CIR and “Compassionate Conservatism”)…but right now I don’t have to choose, because I can’t choose and don’t have to choose for 3 years.

I will say I voted for Romney and had little trouble in doing so…in a choice between Romney and Obama, to me the choice was clear….not so to Honda or Pumice, but I think they are knuckleheads, so their opinions mean little to me.

So let Rand or Rubio and Cain and Palin and Jindjal and 2-3 other people we haven’t even thought of speak and campaign…we don’t need to choose now, and I’m willing to beat that of Rubio, Jindjal, and Paul come 2016 we’ll be saying, “OH YEAH, that’s right they WERE a ‘front runner’ in 2013, funny how that worked out.”

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM

It does seem like we’re getting into 2,3 territory lately.

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM

No argument from me, I think Rove is a knucklehead too…I say we can’t know who is electable until AFTER the election, so let’s not worry about it and talk about ideas and demographics and sales and marketing….

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Rubio is more conservative than Ronald Reagan ever was ….

eski502 on February 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

What flavor Kool-Aid are you drinking – cherry or grape?

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Because we had a contact in the Reagan admin. and we used to get Christmas cards from Ron and Nancy.

thebrokenrattle on February 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

It does seem like we’re getting into 2,3 territory lately.

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Ha! I’m getting covered up by gifts from the Dim side! Or so says thebrokenrattle.

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

What flavor Kool-Aid are you drinking – cherry or grape?

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Quadruple-strength STUPID flavor. And that’s assuming he got a publik skool education on history and isn’t lying his face off.

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

thebrokenrattle on February 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

0.0

Sweet.

Save those things!

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Rubio is a tool. He’ll never get this Hispanic’s vote. Never, ever, ever.

Never.

madmonkphotog on February 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Not unless he out-Hispanders the Dems with promises of more free stuff.

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM

thebrokenrattle on February 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

So that leads you to assume I receive gifts from the Dims. Got news for ya. The rattle ain’t the only thing broke. Might have that logic thingy looked after too. Lol!

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 7:49 PM

What flavor Kool-Aid are you drinking – cherry or grape?

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

There’s the MYTHICAL Reagan and the theoretical Reagan…and then there’s the Reagan who actually ran the Executive Branch.

And if you look at ACTUAL Reagan, versus theoretical 2000 Conservatives, yeah they are more Conservative….Reagan DID raise taxes, Reagan NEVER reigned in spending, voted FOR Amnesty, Reagan did not attempt to reform either education or Sosh Security….

Modern Conservative/Moderates do….

It’s more a testament to the intellectual vigour and climate of the Conservative side today, but in 1980 many of the things discussed couldn’t even be talked about, except at Hoover Institute or Cato Institute symposia.

I lived thru Reagan, I revere Reagan, but don’t fall for the myth of Reagan…he made a TON of compromises.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Hey Meloncollie, back from the Storm Front meeting? We talked about you at the Shadowy Cabal Meeting yesterday….you can expect a Black helicopter to buzz you tonight….

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Not unless he out-Hispanders the Dems with promises of more free stuff.

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Which he won’t, take that to the bank and cash it. Not even if he went in front of an all-Hispanic crowd wearing a sombrero, waving a Mexican flag in one hand and throwing dollar bills with the other.

Democrats have the Mexican welfare vote locked the **** down tighter than Fort Knox at Defcon 5. Someone right here on HA pointed out that no Republican POTUS candidate has ever won a majority of Hispanic votes.

He is only making a fool and a tool of himself.

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

A good thing.

viking01 on February 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

So did “death panels,” which even Paul Krugman admits are going to happen.

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Not unless he out-Hispanders the Dems with promises of more free stuff.

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 7:48 PM

That won’t even do it, we vote for a POSSIBLE freebie when with the Democrat you can be assured of the freebie?

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Saw that. :)

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Oh look, it’s Kunt18′s partner in whine.

Seen the threads about the very real danger of Americans being droned by the verdict of one official? We could be getting buzzes by Obama-ordered drones, genius. Why don’t you go call all the posters on those threads Stormfront conspiracy-theorists?

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Saw that. :)

Axe on February 8, 2013 at 7:55 PM

I mentioned it to the better half, just to make sure, I don’t handle that aspect of things here at home. She laughed, not at me, at the broken one. ; )

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 7:59 PM

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Mostly because they haven’t, to my knowledge, explained that Hitler gets a bad “rap” because he was a WHITE GUY, or claim that the majority f people on Welfare are Black or minorities, nor do they seem to get all fired up about the Israel Lobby and the Jooos….like YOU do. That’s why. When you sound like a David Duke Supporter I figure YOU ARE ONE.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:53 PM

When even YOU can realize how utterly, totally stupid this idea is, it’s mind-boggling that anyone with a brain could even seriously entertain it. Of course that description leaves out liberals.

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I lived through Reagan and don’t disagree. But, to say Rubio is more conservative than Reagan? Reagan admitted the amnesty of 1986 was his biggest mistake. The amnesty Rubio is pushing is going to be 5-7 times the amnesty of 1986.

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I’m in a minority in that I still like Sen. Rubio but I have ZERO problem with others getting out there and making the case of different ideas. I want to hear more from Sen. Paul and Sen. Cruz.

Cindy Munford on February 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Your words, liar.

And I’m sure that’s at all not because they’re tired of every shack-dwelling coward calling them Anti-Semetic, and thus linking them with a certain notorious ultra-right-wing group as well as Ron Paul…

That’s why. When you sound like a David Duke Supporter I figure YOU ARE ONE.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM

You ‘figure’ like a dyslexic preschooler.
—–

Back on track…anyone else waiting for their respective speeches to compare what the men and the groups behind them stand for? I’m eagerly awaiting the GOP’s bold new stances.(/sarc)

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Well Meloncollie, our vast disagreement aside I do agree on that…you cannot get Hispanics to vote for you on the basis of Democratic talking points….you get Hispanics to vote for you by giving them a growing economy and more money and stake in the system. So when someone says “Take form the Rich” they realize that THEY ARE THE RICH and that this guy talking about taking from the Rich is talking about taking THEIR hard-earned cash. But apparently some in the GOP can’t see that.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM

This is the crucial difference between the two men on amnesty: Raegan was suckered by the Democrats into a deal they never kept, and openly admitted it was a bad idea.

Rubio should d@mn well know better, not to mention that one more amnesty will give liberals the unbeatable welfare-vote bloc they’ve long been planning for. We are THAT close to the final disaster.

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Your words, liar.

No YOUR words from a thread from last year….

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Well that at least I can agree with. Hell it hit me personally: my paycheck got cut down to min-wage because even I have to help pay for all the freebies Obama flings out to everyone who crawls ashore from the Rio Grande.

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 8:07 PM

*WOW* A stopped watch IS right twice a day…I can’t believe you are so correct on this.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM

I look forward to both men speaking.

TX-96 on February 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Backhanded compliment aside, I take it then that we will both be awaiting the respective men’s statements?

Because if Rubio doesn’t come out and say “I’ve realized amnesty is stupid beyond all belief and I’m sorry for ever having endorsed it”, which he should have done after reading a history book if his !@#% God-given BRAIN failed him, that does it.

One. More. Amnesty. and the ballot box will be officially useless on the federal level and in some states.

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

JFKY, one last question:

Are the Democrats attempting to offer amnesty to Hispanics from Mexico or whites from Europe?

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM

JFKY, one last question:

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I believe the law will be colour-blind, IF you are here illegally, Polish, Irish, Russia, or Mexican you’ll get amnesty…it just “happens” most of those here and benefiting from it will be from Latin America.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM

mnjg on February 8, 2013 at 5:51 PM

How idiotic of you.

I am not a victim, never, nor depressed.

Idiots, in the majority brung/kept an absolute moron (see neurosurgeon thread) narcissist to lead the ‘great’ land.

She deserves to be laughed at.

Get over yourself or open your brain.

Schadenfreude on February 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Rand Paul is a loon.

Rusty Allen on February 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Rand Paul is a loon.

Rusty Allen on February 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

NO…RON Paul is a loon…But I eagerly await your endorsement of someone…who ISN’T a “loon” in your estimable opinion? Chet Huntsman, the Severely Electable Mitt Romney?

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Rand Paul is a loon.

Rusty Allen on February 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Ha! What would you know of loons? Say are you really a chick?

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Possibly…I certainly wouldn’t put such a maneuver past the Dimocrats, but I would be somewhat surprised that it wasn’t specific to Hispanics as an “in your face” statement to the GOP.

Rand Paul is a loon.

Rusty Allen on February 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Says the unelected anonymous right-winger on a right-wing political board, with no supporting evidence posted.

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

FloatingRock on February 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Oh I suppose you have an alternative to the GOP. You, Ron, and Rand are gonna wrangle up a posse and win the white house and senate? The GOP is busted, but the fringe won’t get it done. Some conservatives keep saying conservatism didn’t lose the election, another moderate did. Well that’s a great catchphrase, but conservatism loses big when it can’t even get on the ballot. Conservatives must unite and fight, not move to the fringes by following clown-faced Jew-haters.

Rusty Allen on February 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

MelonCollie on February 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Babeee, you are on FIRE 2nite! I try to get along with most everyone, from time-to-time…

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Very smart move. Karl Rove may not recover from this, LOL

bluefox on February 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Rusty Allen on February 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

RON Paul may fit that description, but the jury is still out on RAND Paul….please furnish your “evidence” that Rand is a Joo-h8ter…I mean being Ron’s son isn’t evidence…Some actual Joo-H8t’n would be more convincing.

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I stated my opinion. Ill just wait a year and see what people think of him then.

Rusty Allen on February 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Oh, Jeb Bush is not going to be pleased either:-)

bluefox on February 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

JFKY on February 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM

It isn’t just Honda and Pumice. Most of us are sick of the moderate candidates being shoved down our throat and told that we have to vote for them because they are “electable.” Then we have to watch them lose, and those cons that did hold their nose and vote still get blamed for their loss.

I am not doing it a third time no matter how much drivel you peeps spew about electability. We have an “electable” speaker of the house who has a frickin majority and he is using his position to basically vote Democrat. What exactly is the frickin power you talk about if they are all going to vote against the Republican party anyways? I think it is people like you who are knuckleheads.

melle1228 on February 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Rusty Allen on February 8, 2013 at 8:33 PM

So, female, yes or no?

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 8:35 PM

And you’re right, I shouldn’t label Rand something that isn’t proven.

Rusty Allen on February 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Rusty Allen on February 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Rusty, you are avoiding me two evenings in a row. Come on now. Its important for knowing how to say good night to you. ; )

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM