Quotes of the day

posted at 9:21 pm on February 8, 2013 by Allahpundit

A proposal to give federal judges a direct role in the nation’s drone campaign gained new momentum this week with a signal from senior lawmakers that they intend to consider creating a special court to oversee the selection of targets for lethal strikes.

But the idea, cited by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), among others, as a way to impose new accountability on the drone program, faces significant legal and logistical hurdles, according to U.S. officials and legal experts.

Among the main obstacles is almost certain opposition from the executive branch to a dilution of the president’s authority to protect the country against looming threats. Others include the difficulty of putting judges in position to approve the killing of individuals — possibly including American citizens — even if they have not been convicted of a crime.

***

“Having the executive be the prosecutor, judge, jury and executioner is very contrary to laws and traditions of this country,” King told Brennan. King suggested that the court would involve a “FISA-type process,” referring to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, the secret court that considers requests for surveillance against people who are suspected of working for foreign governments. “At least that would be some check on the activities of the executive.” The days, weeks, and months-long process of determining whether someone can be targeted, King suggested, meant that targeted killing was not like soldiers shooting each other on a traditional battlefield and should be subjected to some form of judicial accountability.

Brennan was negative to non-committal, telling King that although the idea was “worthy of discussion,” that courts were traditionally used for adjudicating guilt or innocence, not to prevent the sort of “imminent” threat Brennan claims lethal force is reserved for. A recently leaked Department of Justice memo on targeted killing, however, defines “imminence” as membership in a terrorist organization, not necessarily involvement in an unfolding plot that threatens American lives. Nor are courts used solely to adjudicate guilt—King noted that judges also approve warrants.

***

Some judges want absolutely nothing to do with this. Not that this is dispositive. But I was struck by what recently-retired District Judge John Robertson (D.D.C.) had to say when this came up at an ABA panel we were on a few months ago (the audio is here, and the statement came toward the very end if I recall correctly). Though very much a judge associated with the view that the judiciary plays a critical role in checking the executive in national security-related litigation (the topic of our panel), he made very clear his hostility to the idea of judicial involvement in death warrants. (And that’s without considering the possibility of warrant-issuing judges finding themselves the object of suit or prosecution abroad.) Of course, other judges could feel differently. But at any rate, the anecdote contributes to my next point…

A core benefit to judicial review, presumably, is that judges might detect and reject weak evidentiary arguments for targeting particular persons. I wouldn’t bet on that occurring often, however. Judges famously tend to defer to the executive branch when it comes to factual judgments on matters of military or national-security significance. I’ve argued that they should not always do so, but that doesn’t mean they won’t. Especially when the stakes are as high as they will be represented to be in such cases.

***

Machiavelli tells us that men are venal self-deceivers, but then he gives his Prince permission to do all these monstrous things, trusting him not to get carried away or turn into a monster himself.

Our drone policy should take account of our founders’ superior realism. Drone strikes are so easy, hidden and abstract. There should be some independent judicial panel to review the kill lists. There should be an independent panel of former military and intelligence officers issuing reports on the program’s efficacy.

If you take Machiavelli’s tough-minded view of human nature, you have to be brutal to your enemies — but you also have to set up skeptical checks on the people you empower to destroy them.

***

It should be clear by now that President Obama and his terrorism advises are hypocrites. When they campaigned for office, they claimed that the Bush Administration had violated the Constitution and trampled individual rights in its quest to stop terrorist attacks. Now we have an administration that keeps Guantanamo Bay open, keeps military commissions running, continues terrorist surveillance, and regularly drops drone missiles. But I’m glad they are hypocrites, because they chose to keep the policies that have kept us safe these 11 years instead of sticking to their misguided principles. If the Obama folks ever had the good graces to thank President Bush, I am sure he would say “[you're] welcome.”

***

“This controversy is not going away,” Schultz, a critic of the administration’s drone program, said. “The boundaries of transparency are still undefined.”

Yet in a survey of his (reliably liberal) viewers, 78 percent said they agreed with “the policy of targeted killing of American citizens.”

***

“I voted for President Obama because I trust his values and his judgment, and I believe that he is a fundamentally responsible actor,” she added. “Without gratuitously slamming ex-President Bush, I think he displayed extraordinary lapses in judgment in executing his primary responsibility as commander-in-chief, and put troops in harm’s way imprudently.”

“President Obama would have exercised better judgment and he has exercised better judgment,” Ball said. “What would George W. Bush do? That’s our standard? We would never allow a power to the presidency that we wouldn’t feel comfortable giving to George W. Bush?”…

“Do you feel the same about George W. Bush having the nuclear codes as you do about President Obama?” Ball asked in conclusion. “Call me a hypocrite, but I sure don’t.”

***

Via the Daily Caller.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Yippee-Kai-ay!

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:27 AM

KY Jelly?

SparkPlug on February 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Does it have a smell?

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM

soundingboard on February 9, 2013 at 1:27 AM

hello all. i’m back temporarily.

For Jackie, scrump, grace, resist, etc.

Fred

jrsrigmvr on February 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Axe, Bmore,

Look you two, chicks dig scars, trust me on this! I got a shark bite on my back and a 60 ring cigar burn on my chest, long story about the cigar, happened before I joined up, anyway, you gotta have um;)

MarshFox on February 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Schadenfreude on February 9, 2013 at 1:26 AM

It is, thank you. Everything is moving along apace. I’ve taken a new project that will span the next several months, at least, and I’m looking forward to it. :)

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM

bluefox on February 9, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I know. :) Me too. Made me think of smoked deer sausage for some reason. My b’sketti started looking pretty pale.

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I could fix a ground round burger with fried onions and bell peppers and cheddar cheese:-) OR a bowl of cereal. Well, that looks pale, LOL

Best wait for breakfast on second thot:-)

bluefox on February 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM

OK, well ya’ll be good, I know it’s a mite early for me to be cutting out, but this flu hasn’t fully let go of me yet, and it did kind of kick the living snot out of me all week, so I’m well, not back to full form yet. I would really like to thank everyone for their well wishes…

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

jrsrigmvr on February 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM

FRED! Good evening, Fred, my friend! I hope you’re well. It’s good to see you again. :)

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Good luck with it.

Schadenfreude on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Did you have a chance to listen to the good Dr. ?

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Not yet! Have it opened, and will listen later tonight or tomorrow morn. I can’t wait.

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I’m taking mega does of vitamin since everyone is getting the flu.

A pound of prevention is worth a ton of cure.

SparkPlug on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Get well soon, SWalker.

Schadenfreude on February 9, 2013 at 1:31 AM

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I hope you feel completely recovered very soon, Walker. Rest when you need to, party when you can. :)

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:31 AM

soundingboard on February 9, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Lol! Nice to know someone has been paying attention to my antics. Salute!

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Schadenfreude on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Thank you very much, Schadenfreude. I appreciate it. :)

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:32 AM

jrsrigmvr on February 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Hello, dear Fred! Thanks for playing the awesome tune for us. :)

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:32 AM

We need SWalker to get better soon since he is a blogger for the good guys.

SparkPlug on February 9, 2013 at 1:32 AM

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Did you have a chance to listen to the good Dr. ?

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:27 AM

I was watching President Pants on Fire squirm, well up until Dr Carson got to the battle of 1812, then damned if something didn’t get in my eyes and make it impossible for me to see clearly…

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:33 AM

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Night SWalker. Hope you have a better weekend. :)

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 1:33 AM

MarshFox on February 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I got nothin, Chicks don’t dig me. My best years are behind me. Plus I’ve been happily married for almost 30. ; )

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:34 AM

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Goodnight, SW! The best thing for your body is rest, rest, and more rest. Sweet dreams & a continued recovery.

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:35 AM

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I think, no, I know you will enjoy. 27 minutes, over coffee perhaps?

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Get some rest. You are almost mended. ; )

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Night SWalker. Hope you have a better weekend. :)

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 1:33 AM

Heh, as long as I don’t go back to being as sick as I was wed and Thursday it should all be good. (Yea, that was the point as AZFederalist said, where I was so sick I was afraid it was going to kill me, and then so sick I was afraid it wouldn’t)

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 1:33 AM

So, since you enjoy writing, you should write a screenplay that casts Kai in the lead role. How about a remake?

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Look at the singular bright side… you now have an immunity to that particular strain… and with any luck… to some of its mutations. :)

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:39 AM

How about a remake?

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOO! No more remakes! For the love of originality and the arts… NO MORE REMAKES!

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Good Night Father;)

MarshFox on February 9, 2013 at 1:41 AM

MarshFox on February 9, 2013 at 1:28 AM

“Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever.”

– Falco. :)

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 1:42 AM

If you’ve been looking for love in all the wrong places you should try Vegas.

SparkPlug on February 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Faithfully- Journey

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:39 AM

True, but running a 102 temp for days does terrible things to your body. Now I really must go… If only Standing up and walking across the room didn’t take so damned much energy… ;p

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Goodnight, my friend. I’m glad you’re going to make it. :)

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Not your normal remake. I hate those, too. This one would be special because it would star Kai. :)

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Bet they are cranking his story out right now. :)

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Something to tuck you in with SWalker.

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Something to tuck you in with SWalker.

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:45 AM

ROFL. That was perfect, B.

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I need to go work on something. My estate is chafing. I hate that.

Night Jackie, Grace — need to shout, excusey — NIGHT RESIST!

Night everyone. Pretty cool having a full house. :)

*poof*

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Something to tuck you in with SWalker.

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Ah, yes, Robert Frip, “In the court of the Crimson King” used to be one of my favorite albums.

SWalker on February 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I don’t know , Grace… I’m already shaking and sweating just at the mention of a remake…write something new… something original… starring Kai or any character you like…any genre…. write anything… but not a remake or a sequel… if you keep this up, Grace… I’ll have to start calling you Grace Lucas! ( You aren’t secretly… are you?)

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Bet they are cranking his story out right now. :)

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

How about Hamlet? C’mon, you know you want to see/hear Kai’s Hamlet.

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM

A little something to tuck Jackie in with.

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:51 AM

*unpoof*

How about Hamlet? C’mon, you know you want to see/hear Kai’s Hamlet.

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM

LOL

Grace Lucas!

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM

LOL

*repoof*

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Goodnight, Axe. Pleasant dreams…involving Louboutins. :D

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Axe on February 9, 2013 at 1:48 AM

But, but, but, I didn’t get to tuck you in. Well you probably knew what was headed your way anyhow. Lol!

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:53 AM

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Okay… that I can live with… he can tread the boards and play Hamlet, although, now that you mention it, he could just as well be in a new production of ‘Clue’ as well, or maybe Neil Simon’s ‘Murder By Death’. :)

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:54 AM

( You aren’t secretly… are you?)

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Lol, nope. Just trying to have fun with Kai’s story.

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:51 AM

LOL! That’s fabulous! Love those guys and that sound, too. Thank you, Bmore! :)

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:56 AM

One to tuck 4Grace in with.

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

As The Years Go Passing By – Moore

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on February 9, 2013 at 1:58 AM

And one to tuck me in with.

Good Night All.

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 2:00 AM

One to tuck 4Grace in with.

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Why, thank you, B!

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Nite, jackie!

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 2:02 AM

Goodnight and God bless, Bmore!

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 2:02 AM

The Bangles: Hazy Shade of Winter

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Go-Go’s: Head Over Heels

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Patty Smyth & Scandal: The Warrior

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 2:16 AM

‘Til Tuesday: Voices Carry

And with that one, I’m off to bed.

Don’t forget to tip your bartender!

4Grace on February 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM

SWalker says it’s parody. I can’t find proof that it’s not sent in for real. Either way, the majority of voters fit the category.

Schadenfreude on February 8, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I’m with SWalker.

VorDaj on February 9, 2013 at 4:42 AM

Isn’t that the whole problem? Are we now saying that any politically appointed official has this power but an objective judge in incapable of making such a decision?
My goodness, what power you can buy these days with free lunches and guilt free lust and deviancy.

Don L on February 9, 2013 at 5:57 AM

There is so much potential political fodder here for the right candidate.

Imagine the next presidential debate. The Republican candidate points at the Democrat one and says “his/her party supports the killing of Americans without a warrent or a trial. Just fill the tank, point the drone, and kill an American. In my first day in office I’ll resind this un-American policy and return the rule of law back to its rightful place!”
itsspideyman on February 8, 2013 at 9:54 PM

And the free lunch, lust, and Planned Parenthood crowd will out vote you.

Democracy?(by any name)
We were much better off with a real king….(and that Nature’s God)

Don L on February 9, 2013 at 6:07 AM

What volume, in mLs, of Ed’s head is directly related to alcohol bloat?

tom daschle concerned on February 9, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Targeted Americans, YUP! And John Kerry and Jane Fonda should be among them.

mixplix on February 9, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Let me just go on semi-anonymous record here: Bush was an infinitely more responsible, experienced, and trustworthy Commander in Chief than the secretive and deceitful douchebag known as O’Bozo the Clown President.

Of course.

Jaibones on February 9, 2013 at 8:30 AM

In light of Benghazi and er..F&F..just oh so many “events”-
I am rather surprised that some trust this. Yeah.. assassination
of the jihads over in the worlds litter box gets applause..
but that ain’t my issue. Who/what is an imminent threat targeted by Zero and friends? For a period of time..the dude who made a video
which caused the slaughter in Benghazi was obviously an imminent threat // he could have easily been a camels supper.
Trust in this admin and an unchecked power with the MSM propaganda
machine behind it just doesn’t make me feel warm and cozy.
The future should be interesting..who is the next imminent threat..might be you.

bazil9 on February 9, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Bmore on February 9, 2013 at 1:34 AM

This chick does! :D
Lucky for u..your safe. lol

bazil9 on February 9, 2013 at 8:36 AM

“Our founders were more careful. Our founders understood that leaders are as venal and untrustworthy as anybody else. They abhorred concentrated power, and they set up checks and balances to disperse it.”

Uh huh…
Nice snippet..

“Both videos – the one faking Obamagasm and the one faking a Benghazi pretext – exemplify the wretched shrinkage that befalls those unable to conceive of anything except in the most self-servingly political terms. Both, in different ways, exemplify why Obama and Biden are unfit for office. One video testifies to a horrible murderous lie at the heart of a head of state’s most solemn responsibility, the other to the glib shallow narcissism of a pop-culture presidency, right down to the numbing relentless peer-pressure: C’mon, all the cool kids are doing it; why be the last holdout?”
Mark Steyn

bazil9 on February 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Ahhhh…. Court without the presence of the accused required. That’s some legal system.

New Marinda warning.. You have the right to….. hell we don’t even need ya…. Guilt…NEXT!

Roflmmfao

donabernathy on February 9, 2013 at 8:53 AM

GUILTY…NEXT!

donabernathy on February 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM

b9

SparkPlug on February 9, 2013 at 9:02 AM

O/T: “Obama: Unvetted, Irresponsible, and AWOL”. My take.

kingsjester on February 9, 2013 at 9:08 AM

shut up serfs said the white house, the GOPE and the dems.

unseen on February 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I am willing to bet this ‘Jelly Roll’ changes butt plugs several times daily.

RdLake on February 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM