Pennsylvania, Indiana issue tentative “no, thanks” to Medicaid expansion

posted at 7:21 pm on February 8, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

The Obama administration has made it abundantly clear that it would really just be oh so very helpful if all of the states would voluntarily comply with their proffered Medicaid expansion deal; ObamaCare really needs everybody to cooperate in order to work properly, so it’s really most unfortunate for them that the Supreme Court ruled last June that states were within their rights to decline the expansions without the threat of the total loss of federal Medicaid funding being held over their heads.

It was something of a boon to the Obama administration when Republican governors John Kasich in Ohio and Rick Snyder in Michigan announced that they were giving in and signing up for the Obama administration’s earlier this week, bringing the total number of GOP-led states participating to six, but other governors are still resisting the power of the all-engulfing big-government dark side. Gov. Corbett in Pennsylvania served the administration with his disinclination on Tuesday:

Pennsylvania is taking a pass on a major expansion to its Medicaid program, at least for now.

Republican Gov. Tom Corbett, in a letter sent Tuesday to U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, said “the Medicaid program in Pennsylvania is on an unsustainable path … I firmly believe we can serve more of our citizens in Pennsylvania, but only if we are given the independence and flexibility to do so.” …

“At this time, without serious reforms, it would be financially unsustainable for Pennsylvania taxpayers, and I cannot recommend a dramatic Medicaid expansion,” said the letter, released as part of the governor’s budget address.

And in Indiana, Gov. Mike Pence protested that he won’t be participating without more state-administered flexibility on how to run the program:

Gov. Mike Pence said Wednesday that he has ruled out expanding Medicaid under the federal health care law unless Indiana gets approval to use state health savings accounts for the expansion.

Pence told reporters that the only way he would approve a Medicaid expansion would be if the state is given the choice of using its Healthy Indiana plan to cover new enrollees.

“It was important to me that we do fully fund Medicaid, but we did not fund a Medicaid expansion, nor do I think that under the current framework for Medicaid that it would be advisable for Indiana to do that,” he said.

So, not exactly the most resounding refusals, and the remaining undecided governors still have politically tough decisions to make — Chris Christie, for instance, has to balance his presidential ambitions with his blue state’s politics. The demographics of Florida, which went for Obama, might mean that Gov. Rick Scott will eventually concede, and what’s looking like a close election battle in the Virginia gubernatorial will probably shape Gov. McDonnell’s decision. The resistance is still there, but it’s made difficult by the fact that, if one states refuses the new Medicaid funding, those state residents’ federal tax dollars are still going to funding Medicaid expansions in other states that do say yes — but the Obama administration knows that, of course. It’s all part of the plan.

Comments

…the RINO governots are caving though!

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2013 at 7:30 PM

if one states refuses the new Medicaid funding, those state residents’ federal tax dollars are still going to funding Medicaid expansions in other states that do say yes — but the Obama administration knows that, of course. It’s all part of the tax plan.

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I like Pence.

KCB on February 8, 2013 at 7:32 PM

…thank you Judge Roberts!

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Kasich take note, you steaming POS.

Mr. Arrogant on February 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Separating the men from the boys.

VorDaj on February 8, 2013 at 7:35 PM

participating to six,…that should be WIMP-led states!

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2013 at 7:36 PM

“At this time, without serious reforms, it would be financially unsustainable for Pennsylvania taxpayers, and I cannot recommend a dramatic Medicaid expansion, . . . . .”

PA Gov Tom Corbett

Thank you, Governor.

But how long will this last?

listens2glenn on February 8, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Awwwwwww shite.

Lets face it, 0care is here to stay.

Govs’ one by one are/will cave.

2014 is gonna be a tough tough year and then some for millions and millions and millions of folk.

Too many pols are looking at this now as a ‘workable’ solution.

I remember this was a ‘fix’ to help insure the 47 million uninsured? How the hell does it come to affect us all?

I am gobsmacked every time I see this crap…

Going back to my fetal position…

I can’t take this any more!!

Scrumpy on February 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Me likey Pence.

Brat on February 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Thanks, Gov. Corbett. Hope you survive 2014, despite all of the low-info indies and moderate Republicans that are deserting you in droves. Hope you survive the politically-motivated witch-hunt by our new Democrat AG looking to blame the entire Sandusky debacle on you. Hope you survive to sign a Right-to-Work Law in 2015.

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Kasich take note, you steaming POS.

Mr. Arrogant on February 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

I have yet to here back from him. I sent him my thoughts. He won’t have my vote and I suspect the 4 others in my household won’t be his either. .

CW on February 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Scrumpy on February 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Fairness

RickB on February 8, 2013 at 7:41 PM

CW on February 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

The Rove cabal will have to spend extra $$ there in a couple of years.

Mr. Arrogant on February 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

They think the joke’s on us. Nope. The joke is on China who is lending the money which we are in turn pouring down the drain with no hope of ever repaying it.

WisRich on February 8, 2013 at 7:47 PM

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Amen. Especially signing a Right-to-Work law in Pa. … that would be huge. HUGE.
Even more so than privatizing the state liquor store system, although that would be icing on the cake.

AG Kathleen Kane … what else do you expect from a Democrat who in her TV commercials during her campaign said she wanted to be elected so she could “keep an eye on the Governor and Lt. Governor.” Witch hunt, indeed. It’s what Democrats do best.

PatriotGal2257 on February 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Kasich was never a conservative. The Ohio GOP is really a mixed bag. All the stories you hear about southern politics are mostly false, but they are true about Ohio. Any State GOP that rejects Ken Blackwell for Taft is a steaming pile. They got themselves another one in Kasich.

Quartermaster on February 8, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Kasich take note, you steaming POS.

Mr. Arrogant on February 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

CW on February 8, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Basically, Democrat Ed Fitzgerald has just been handed the governorship of Ohio 16 months before the fact. Kasich is a dead pol walking, and unless someone tries to primary him, he will lose spectacularly in a blue tidal wave.

Ohio was a nice state while I remember it… key word “was.”

Myron Falwell on February 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM

…thank you Judge Roberts!

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Yeah, thank you, indeed, judge. Keep up the good work you lying, scumbag elitist sack of crap.

HiJack on February 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Me likey Pence.

Brat on February 8, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I like Pence, too, but I’ll bet the farm that he turns on us. Just like everyone else.

HiJack on February 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Medicaid is an unbelievable cluster, and it’s shocking to me that anyone would want to expand that mess. But we’re talking about liberals and RINOs, so there’s my answer.

I like Corbett, but the liberals don’t like it when the adults are in the room. It’s not glamorous to be fiscally responsible, pay bills, and reject big government. He wants to privatize the antiquated liquor control “State Store” system here, and I applaud that. Corbett privatized the lottery and wants to privatize the PA Turnpike. Right to Work is a dream. He is good for PA, which means he will have an uphill battle in the next election.

Kathleen Kane’s main mission to to ensure he is not re-elected, and she will pull the Penn State investigation card.

Philly on February 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Why not just say no to Medicaid altogether?

nazo311 on February 8, 2013 at 9:53 PM

The arguments regarding ‘other states receiving the money of non-participating states’ is bogus. THE PEOPLE PAYING FOR MEDICAID AREN’T USING IT.

They’ll be far better off in the long run to limit the swelling of the Medicaid rolls in their states. This will be just like 99 week unemployment.

MikeinPRCA on February 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Since Congress is not restraining the federal tyranny, it is left to the states, so they remain the best hope of defusing all of the policy-bombs that Democrats have forced on the country.

They can’t afford to implement the unfeasible Obamacare, will never enforce more pointless gun control laws, and have no economic ability to “adopt” millions of Mexican dependents.

Washington can pass all the laws it wants. There was a time when it mattered.

virgo on February 9, 2013 at 4:24 AM