Panetta: Obama never called back to check on Benghazi

posted at 8:01 am on February 8, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

We didn’t get to this yesterday, but it’s definitely worth watching — especially for the skill shown by Lindsey Graham in his examination of Leon Panetta and General Martin Dempsey.  The headline takeaway will be what is remembered most: the revelation that Barack Obama never bothered to keep in touch with his chair of the Joint Chiefs and Secretary of Defense after being informed that an American consulate was under attack from terrorists.

But if that’s all you hear from this, you’re missing the big picture. Graham managed to elicit a number of damaging statements from the two.  Not one aircraft had been deployed during the attack; not one boot left the ground outside of Libya.  As far as the 281 concurrent threat reports that Panetta and Dempsey claimed kept them from considering Benghazi a special threat, Graham asks how many of those cables came from US Ambassadors stating specifically (as Stevens’ did) that an American installation was incapable of defending itself against a sustained attack and that government buildings nearby were flying al-Qaeda flags — “because I want to know about them, if they do,” Graham adds.  Dempsey tries to push that off to State, at which time Graham informs Dempsey that Hillary Clinton claimed never to have seen that cable, even though Dempsey clearly had, which he admits is “surprising.”

Graham then circles back to the lack of action from the White House once the attack was under way:

SEN. GRAHAM: Are you surprised that the president of the United States never called you, Secretary Panetta, and say, ‘how’s it going?’

SEC. PANETTA: I — you know, normally in these situations –

SEN. GRAHAM: Did he know the level of threat that –

SEC. PANETTA: Let — well, let me finish the answer. We were deploying the forces. He knew we were deploying the forces. He was being kept updated –

SEN. GRAHAM: Well, I hate to interrupt you, but I got limited time. We didn’t deploy any forces. Did you call him back — wait a minute –

SEC. PANETTA: No, but the event — the event was over by the time we got –

SEN. GRAHAM: Mr. Secretary, you didn’t know how long the attack would last. Did you ever call him and say, Mr. President, it looks like we don’t have anything to get there anytime soon?

SEC. PANETTA: The event was over before we could move any assets.

SEN. GRAHAM: It lasted almost eight hours. And my question to you is during that eight-hour period, did the president show any curiosity about how’s this going, what kind of assets do you have helping these people? Did he ever make that phone call?

SEC. PANETTA: Look, there is no question in my mind that the president of the United States was concerned about American lives and, frankly, all of us were concerned about American lives.

SEN. GRAHAM: With all due respect, I don’t believe that’s a credible statement if he never called and asked you, are we helping these people; what’s happening to them? We have a second round, and we’ll take it up then.

Graham just demolished the entire White House defense on Benghazi in less than ten minutes of cross-examination.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

How can these people live with themselves. I feel guilty about not picking up a stray dog, how can these jackwads get up in the morning knowing they left those men to die.

Bishop on February 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Unless ensuring those men died WAS the mission.

MikeA on February 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Do you remember when Clint Eastwood did his empty chair bit at the GOP convention. The left berated him as an old senile weirdo.

Then came the Denver Debate and the New Yorker Cover, conservatives laughed and liberals panicked.

While some thought it a joke and some thought it a farce the true meaning of the empty chair was never clearer than it was at the Benghazi hearings.

Under questioning from South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta could not explain why President Barack Obama spoke with him only once on Sept. 11, 2012 during the Benghazi terrorist attack, and never called back for any updates for over seven hours.

The actual testimony is astounding:

Sen Lindsey Graham (R-SC)….And my question to you is during that eight-hour period, did the president show any curiosity about how’s this going, what kind of assets do you have helping these people? Did he ever make that phone call?

workingclass artist on February 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Yes it is time to talk about impeachment, if nothing else it will push Obama into a corner and we can see which direction he will turn.

tim c on February 8, 2013 at 8:16 AM

GOP should call for independent counsel first. Panetta is leaving, Clinton is leaving. If the administration has nothing to hide they should welcome the investigation. This is so much more serious than the Valerie Plame affair.

monalisa on February 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I hate to say it, but the American public for some reason simply does not care about what happened at Bengazi. I shake my head and wipe the tear from the corner of my eye.

Old Fritz on February 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Graham is from SC. I think SC had a crisis where the Gov went AWOL. The media correctly had a feeding frenzy. Nobody died, mind you, but the media was on fire. Where is the equivalent outrage?

For the record, I don’t think O was AWOL. I think they’ve decided that this is the lesser of two evils.

kpguru on February 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

yet another what if “W”…. The head lines would have been that Booooooosh hates gays and slept knowing the gehy ambassador would be killed.

Dingbat63 on February 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Unless ensuring those men died WAS the mission.

MikeA on February 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Everyone though? There has to be one man or woman who was appalled at the situation after being ordered to ignore the attack. I can understand Bark and Killary not caring because they’re political animals, and Biden is retarded, but Panetta? Or the military reps who were ordered to stand down knowing those SEAL’s were being left to die?

Where the eff is their conscience?

Bishop on February 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Bishop on February 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Exactly. And if the country itself were attacked, in similar circumstances, Obama would do the same thing, so as to be able to preside over the remains. This man is dangerous. Is it any wonder patriots feel the need to arm themselves? Obama and his minions will stop at nothing to continue to rule.

tngmv on February 8, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Crazy irony, right? Both Hillary’s campaign and Obama’s spend WEEKS in 2008 arguing which one of them can handle “the 3am phone call”… and weirdly enough, they BOTH get the same opportunity. Then, they BOTH roll over and go back to sleep.

Truth is once again stranger than fiction.

Murf76 on February 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

It will be all ok.

Just “BLINK” three times when your jumping up and clicking your heels together three times.

As long as we are not doing something about the over spending, the global warming climate change CO2 fraud, the EPA telling U.S. all what size our lives can be, the fact that 20 million Mexican/South American wage/vote slaves are in on the scam via fake ID, stolen SS #, and 1,000 other crimes of the loon liberal Commie Democrat Cult do the commies win.

They are running a “con” shell game, they do not want us to stop watching the shells move around faster and faster,,we are just the “marks”.

just say no.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

What doesn’t happen in Vegas stays outside of Vegas.

unclesmrgol on February 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

The military is only as good as its commanders. If they lack the will and the capacity to give sane orders, then the men can do little.

o General Ham was relieved of his command for voicing his intent to disobey the orders that came from THIS ADMINISTRATION. The Marines in Cairo Egypt were ordered BY THE STATE DEPARTMENT NOT to carry LIVE AMMO on 9/11/12, and as a result the Embassy was overrun, sacked, & burned. Just like in Viet nam, when POLITICIANS step in and tie the hands of the military extremely bad things happen & Americans die!

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Maybe Obama was having some friends over and relaxing a bit. Give Obama a break for crying out loud. The guy likes to have a few beers, and who knows what else, from time to time. Everyone needs to kick back a little. Give him some slack. He’s under a lot of pressure.

JellyToast on February 8, 2013 at 10:29 AM

But, but, but…Ogabe couldn’t keep the rapper and his other Vega$ trash friends waiting!!!

viking01 on February 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I only wish that Graham was able to question Hillary. He did one damn good job of making Obama and Hillary look like the jackasses that they really are. Obama and Hilary really did not give a damn about the people in the Benghazi consulate.

SC.Charlie on February 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Bishop on February 8, 2013 at 8:31 AM

I agree.

Worse a read an article about a retired general who stated publicly the other day that he knew specific nearby assets that absolutely could have saved those people.

Zero must be impeached.

dogsoldier on February 8, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Thank you, Senator Graham et all for peeling back layer after layer after layer after layer of the most heinous level of incompetence and gross negligence I’ve ever seen. They should all be hanged.

scalleywag on February 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

All Obama cares about is Obama. That and the prestige of the office. Actually being president is another story.

sadatoni on February 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Can you imagine any other administration standing back while the black flags of Al Qaeda, our enemies, were being posted around our embassies? These people aren’t leaders, they’re cowards.

scalleywag on February 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

That is absolutely brutal testimony… It is so painful to listen to Panetta try and dance around Graham’s questions. Mind numbing. I simply cannot believe we reelected the rat eared wonder, all things considered.

preallocated on February 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

- ED

He did nothing of the sort.
All he did was invent a component to the narrative and suggest it was significant and thus revealing…when it was irrelevant.
He’s lawyer’in…that’s all.
Even if a direct call had taken place, he’d have just drawled out “Are you telling me he only called one time?”.
He’s laser focused here…but not on avoiding a tragedy like this in the future.

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Democrats:

LBJ would show up drunk in the “War Room” ask a few questions and order changes in the targets of B-52′s in the air headed to their target. He would point out the target he wanted hit and demand the changes. The Gen.’s ect did what he demanded.

Many times ground units where on the way for attacks or bomd damage missions,based on the knowlege that say 36 B-52′s would drop on the target. After LBJ got done in some cases only 3 or 4 hit the orginal target.

The guys on the ground in the helo’s due to the time element did not get the word, they would hit a target that has just be woke up and was ready for bear.

Democrats get people killed.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

This makes me sick. I can’t understand how a president wouldn’t be in direct contact with his defense department on the anniversary of 9/11…even without knowledge of an attack. The threats are always there.

maables on February 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

He’s laser focused here…but not on avoiding a tragedy like this in the future.

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

One step that can be taken, is to get a President that won’t run for the hills when something like this happens. and then, blame it on a Youtube video, which no one had ever seen.

This happened on your messiah’s watch. He is responsible.

kingsjester on February 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

verbsoutofbalance

It is sad that you have been con’d by the commie Democrts such as Obama, and then to, you like it so much.

Obama hurts the poor more than his hated rich.

Obama harms freedom day after day.

Obama did/does know failed terror bomber William Ayers.

This Bengazie fracked up deal is just one more example of his
“Fast and Furious” attack on U.S. all.

get a grip

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

He’s laser focused here…but not on avoiding a tragedy like this in the future.

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Obama couldn’t even find the time to engage in eight hour attack on our Americans, and you think Graham is not concerned about avoiding a future tragedy? Talk about a drone on cruise-control.

Rovin on February 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

He’s laser focused here…but not on avoiding a tragedy like this in the future.

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Like Moochelle’s stare transfixing a lobster the Fuehrer valiantly sought to protect his little reichlings.

Wipe your chin Kroft wannabe….

viking01 on February 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Yesterday I saw a comedian state how Obama is like a father to all of us. If that is so, then what kind of father will go to sleep knowing that four of his son’s are under attack? Per brother Leon, there apparently was no further discussion about this with the Father/President, Obama. What kind of father would have brother’s such as Leon or Sisters such as Hilliaryious, who also knew of the severity of attacks, had plenty of warnings that AQ was increasing presence in area, and yet who did absolutely nothing on 9/11 anniversary. The Military was never told to do anything per yesterday’s testimony. Hillaryous never asked the military for their assistance! How could a father sleep while one of his sons, the US Ambassador Stevens was being raped and eventually killed, not sure I have the ordering correct there. Not the kind of father I would ever wish that anyone has.

stuartm80127 on February 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

One of the things that we might have to worry about here is the line military. If in fact there was/were any assets avail to attack the lasered target,they followed the Stand Down order and allowed the killing and attack on Americans. However, the ex-seals said to hell with it and did the correct thing. This may say a lot about the current military and its moral structure. I am not sure that we can count on our military to do the correct thing anymore . Food for thought.

retiredeagle on February 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Rovin on February 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Pay attention to the part of the video where Panetta explains to Graham that the Prez was indeed informed and kept up to date…and how.
Again, LG is trying to push a non-factor as a factor.
Pantta says they talked for 30 mins. LG rolls his eyes at that…’golly…just 30 minutes!’.
This is classic lawyerin’.
I do hope some folks get professional about all of this.
But that won’t be as exciting for many of you.

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Most of our politicians carry their ethics in a wallet and have no conscience. Sadly, it seems as though a number of our military ‘leaders’ have adopted the ‘just following orders’ mentality as a means to survive their civilian ‘masters’ of this regime. The commanders who buck this and actually have a conscience are steadily being relieved of duty or early ‘retired’. Such is the legacy of ‘political correctness’, ‘progressive-ism’ and ‘a kinder, gentler military’.

Our LIVs who support this regime also have no conscience, no ethics and no reasoning capabilities. They simply want their ‘free’ stuff and are incapable of realizing that they are sitting atop a house of cards.

ghostwalker1 on February 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Where is blink to tell us how this is all just our imagination, that no such assests where available, etc. . . .

Or, is it getting even too deep for him to defend?

Come out, come out wherever you are blink!

D-fusit on February 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

“I am responsible for Benghazi. I am in charge of the State Department.” — Hillar Clinton.

ALSO Hillary Clinton:
o “I did not know that Ambassador Stevens’ compound had been attacked twice before by terrorists in the months prior to the 3rd and final, fatal attack.” (…But I am in charge.)

o “I did not know the leader of Al Qaeda was calling for an attack on Stevens on 9/11 in revenge for a drone strike that had killed an Al Qaeda leader from Libya back in June of that year.”(…But I am in charge.)

o “I did not know Ambassador Stevens had requested additional security 4 times, 3 times specifically after those 2 previous terror attacks, or that those requests had been denied.” (…But I am in charge.)

o “I did not know that the CIA sent cables to both the White House War Room and to the State Department at the beginning of the attack informing us it was definitely a terrorist attack.” (…But I am in charge.)

o “I did not know that someone within the State department intercepted those reports and deleted all references to a terrorist attack and replaced it with a false story about a protest over some video….and NO that person has NOT been charged with a crime or punished in any way.” (…But I am in charge.)

o No, I was not notified of the 9hr attack on the Embassy or the 4 deaths at any time. Yes, I was AWOL, could not be reached, and could not find a way to return/take charge of the situation.” (…But I am in charge.)

o “Yes, I did insist during my debate with Barak Obama that I was the only one who was prepared for that fictitious ’1am’ phone call and that Obama was not! In my defense, I was PARTLY right!” (…But I am in charge.)

o “Yes, I got that ’1am’ phone call…yes, I refused to answer that call, and yes the complete failure…and criminal behavior perpetrated by the State Department..is TECHNICALLY my fault, but I just said that so the suckers watching across the nation would think this administration/I actually believe in ‘accountability.” (…But I am in charge.)

o “I did not know the Marines assigned with guarding the Embassy in Cairo, Egypt – a nation ruled by terrorists – were orderd on the anniversary of 9/11 NOT to carry LIVE AMMO so they could effectively defend the embassy and repel any attack.” (…But I am in charge.)

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Tell us why Obama did not stay engaged in the situation.

Tell us why he abandoned those Americans to be murdered.

kingsjester on February 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Carter Ham is the one people refer to as being sacked for insubordination during the Benghazi attack, but he’s still serving and you can still pull up news stories featuring him as recently as last week. It’s Admiral Charles Gaouette who most likely was sacked for something that happened that night. Gaouette’s is the one who’s gone down the memory hole on this. I’ve been doing news searches on his name regularly since November, and there’s nothing beyond the initial reports of his sacking.

Gaouette was the skipper of the boat that supposedly dumped Bin Laden into the sea:

And Glen Doherty was one of the Special Ops that defied orders and took the kill-shots on those Somali Pirates back in 2009:

Always these strange networks and co-incidences surrounding this White House. Just amazing how events and names go down the memory hole so quickly with these people.

Remember Jill Kelly? David Effin Petraeus? Me neither.

sartana on February 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

The President was contacted ONE TIME, (for a 15 minute conversation), and there was no other communication with the President until the following morning—hardly what most would call “kept up to date” pal.
But do keep spinning.

Rovin on February 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM

But do keep spinning.

Rovin on February 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Really…you don’t see a great example of that is LG here?
He cuts off Panetta when he doesn’t like the answer.
Whatever. If you’re so inclined…your just so inclined.

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Comrade O voted present at 5 PM and then said… “Don’t bother me the rest of the night. I have more important things to do.”

farsighted on February 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

The bottom line regarding Hilary Clinton as Secretary of State is THIS….she failed to win the Democratic Nomination in 2008 & she has never given up being President. After losing to Obama she demanded (cut a deal with Obama to support him in exchange for) being named Secretary of State, a position that would allow her to travel to foreign nations, get her face out there – recognized, provided her with the ability to brag to the 2016 GOP nominee & American people that she has experience working with world leaders where the GOP candidate does not, and set herself up as the DNC candidate. This job was nothing more than a SQUARE TO FILL, a STEPPING STONE.

The deaths of Ambassador Stevens – the 1st Ambassador to be assassinated/killed in over 3 decades – and 3 other Americans, while ‘inconvenient’ in regards to her using her position at the State Department as a ‘stepping stone’ is inconsequential to her overall goal. If it were not for the major media’s support, this incident would be a DEATH BLOW to Hillary EVERY serving in public office again! As it is necessary for her to continue with her plan and present herself as a very competent & successful ‘leader’, she, Obama, & the media is minimizing the incident as ‘a shame’, ‘nothing we could do’, & Hillary pulled her fake anger & emotion act before Congress earlier to make it seem like she actually gives a d@mn.

Hillary cares about HILLARY, which is the way of Liberal/Progressive ‘dictator-lite-wanna-bes’…which is exactly what we see in Obama. Hillary is mad as h#ll alright – she is mad at the Libyan militia for failing to protect our people, she is mad Americans allowed themselves to be killed on her watch, she is mad at whoever allowed that drone overhead to provide streaming video, she is mad at the CIA for admitting they sent those cables, she is mad at Panetta who just threw her & Obama under the bus by saying they were awol during the attack….she could care LESS about Stevens, Woods, & the other 2 Americans who were killed!

The fact that anyone would DARE give voice to the suggestion that Hillary is Presidential material after this is both mind-numbing and frightening. Of course considering how much Obama has lowered the bar for what it takes to be a President, Hillary just might have what it takes NOW after all.

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Answer these questions, or, you’re just bloviating:

Why did Obama not stay engaged in the situation?

Why did he abandon those Americans to be murdered?

Why was the order to “Stand Down” given?

kingsjester on February 8, 2013 at 11:25 AM

sadatoni on February 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Barack Hussein Obama has done more damage to the Office of the Presidency & The Status of this Nation than any President in history.

workingclass artist on February 8, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Fundraising with Jay Z beats a dead ambassador any day.

profitsbeard on February 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Old Fritz on February 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

They only care about what the media tells them to care about. If the media isn’t blowing up about it and reporting about it over and over and over, then it doesn’t connect to the average American.

The media is freedom’s enemy. Ironic, huh?

ButterflyDragon on February 8, 2013 at 11:36 AM

IMPEACH!

workingclass artist on February 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Better: ARREST…

affenhauer on February 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM

sartana on February 8, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Ham voiced his intent to disobey the order to ‘Stand Down’ and was relieved of his command. The very next day – 9/12/12 – Panetta stated in a press conference that Obama was going to name another General to be AFRICOM commander. That, of course, did not happen.

1) A commander can be temporarily relieved of command, as ham evidently was.

2) When this started to blow up, I think they re-thought the decision to replace him permanently. Doing so would further draw more unwanted attention to what was going on/what could have been done/what was NOT done.

3) SEALs/SpecOps is ike a ‘brotherhood’, even more so than that felt between all military members. SpecOps guys, during the time the attack was going on – when the order was given to ‘Stand Down’, were PI$$ED..and rightfully so! The anger felt was unimaginable, knowing your government just made the call to abandon commrdes in arms and betray Americans fighting for their lives. Hanging out Gen Ham to dry by permanently relieveing him of command would have caused even MORE of firestorm within the military…and the last thing Hillary/Panetta/Obama needed while trying to cover this up was further angering the militray and causing them to rebel by going public on a major scale.

4) I would hardly call any military officer who wants to reject a cowardly political order to betray commrades in arms fighting for their lives ‘Insubordinate’, and I certainly would not even charge them with a crime for going ahead with a mission to save American lives, which they have been trained to do.

Panetta, the Sec of Defense, had the testicular fortitude & yellow streak down the back enough to say that the military should not be counted on to go to the rescue of Americans and just goes to prove HE DOESN’T KNOW WHAT THE H#LL HE IS TALKING ABOUT / IS UNQUALIFIED TO BE SECT OF DEFENSE — those SpecOps Teams in signoella are specially trained units specifically rained for counter terrorist / terrorist-situation rescue missions!

And here’s a newsflash for Hillary, Panetta, & Obama — It is not the job of LIBYAN MILITIAS to protect U.S. Ambassadors & American personnel who are sitting on U.S. SOIL (embassies/our compounds) — It is the DUTY OF THE U.S. STATE DEPARTMENT & THE U.S. MILITARY (Marines defending the Cairo Embassy — hellooooo, even if NOT with live Ammo)!!!

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM

He did nothing of the sort.
He’s lawyer’in…that’s all.
He’s laser focused here…but not on avoiding a tragedy like this in the future. – verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

You are denying the obvious.

SC.Charlie on February 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM

And yet, from the MSM; crickets. If there was ever a smoking gun, this is literally it.

Obama has now, on purpose, twice made decisions that led directly to the death of brave Americans. He chose to arm Mexican thugs (so he could later disarm Americans) and abandon our people in Libya to cover up another gun running scheme.

Sadly, we can’t just blame Obama…he’s simply “transforming America” in the ways most of us on this site knew he would. But the Press, the cowardly and complicit Fourth Estate, has failed in such a spectacular manner, that most people will never know what hit them. And it will hit them.

Kenz on February 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

kpguru on February 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Please tell us the name of anyone who has said “Pres. Obama told me to do XXXX on Sept 11, 2012″.

Not one person has said “I was the guy told to:

“Number one, make sure that we are securing our personnel and doing whatever we need to,” Obama continued. “Number two, we’re going to investigate exactly what happened so that it doesn’t happen again. Number three, find out who did this so we can bring them to justice. And I guarantee you that everyone in the State Department, our military, the CIA, you name it, had number one priority making sure that [our] people were safe.

So can anyone say who these orders were given to? Remember the context of his answer. He supposedly issued these instructions immdediately after being informed of the attack. So within seconds of the FLASH message, POTUS wanted to make sure an investigation was going to be conducted to find out what happened. That’s past-tense. So does that mean he didn’t learn about it until it was over?

Or is his intellect so exquisite that he had the presence of mind to be concerned about the causes of the attack and issue an order to conduct an investigation?

BobMbx on February 8, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Come on, verbaluce, I’m on record trying to keep the Benghazi threads intellectually honest. You should display some intellectual honesty here, also. It would help your credibility.

blink on February 8, 2013 at 11:45 AM

To do that would require verbaluseless to have intellect in the first place…

affenhauer on February 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I need to condense that so it fits on a bumper sticker.

scalleywag on February 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM

This whole affair was and remains an absolute disgrace.
From top to bottom.
And including the filthy media.

justltl on February 8, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Obama Nominates Rodriguez as Next Africa Command Chief
WASHINGTON, D.C., Oct 19, 2012 (10/19/12)— President Obama has nominated Army General David M. Rodriguez to succeed Army General Carter F. Ham as the commander of U.S. Africa Command, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said, October 18, 2012 (10/18/12).

(Originally Posted by Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs on 10/29/12)
Today I am very pleased to announce that President Obama will nominate General David Rodriguez to succeed General Carter Ham as commander of U.S. Africa Command.

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Question:

In Bengazie that moment in time.

The cell phones working?
Were there any other country that had any assets in the city.
Brits, French, Russian, China, hell even China.
If so did Amb. Stevens or any one call for help from any other thing or perons other than up the U.S. chain of cammand.

If now why not.

Hell bells it like they were under orders to just sit there and die.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 8, 2013 at 11:59 AM

If not why not.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

you are truly a vile and disgusting waste of skin to continue to stick up for this worthless president. the two of you should have been aborted.

GhoulAid on February 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM

The Democrats in charge left our men to die. That’s all there is to it. Then they went into cover-up mode. And then the pro-Democrat media decided the right thing to do was to cover up the cover-up.

For Democrats, protecting Americans serving overseas (or making youtube videos Stateside) is not as important as protecting Democrats’ political power–most notably Obama’s re-election and Hillary’s 2016 hopes.

Christien on February 8, 2013 at 12:01 PM

According to this story, Carter Ham is still serving as head of AfriCom:

I’ve read speculation about why Ham was relieved, but nothing concrete. And like I said, there’s plenty still in the news when you do a search for his name.

Unlike Gaouette. He’s disappeared. I think he’s the one to look for. I’m stunned at how incurious our media is. There’s no lack of news people on the Right that have the resources to follow up on these things, but they hang.

sartana on February 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

“Vote Obama cause he will do nothing at all.”

“Vote Obama who knows why”

“Vote, what does it matter now.”

“Obama the best present vote evah”

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

easyt65

Some good posts there, easy. A lot of this info nearly slips through the cracks, due to the time lag between the days after Benghazi and the hearings now.

petefrt on February 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Obama was not interested. He was more interested in Hiding the Attack from the Media, and saying Mitt Romney saw terrorists where there were none.

The lying and obfuscation to win an election, reminds me of Nixon and Watergate.

Fleuries on February 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Top 10 Things I Learned From Democrat Testimony On Benghazi:

10. The victims and families will never get justice, but what matters most is protecting Obama, Hillary, and the Democrats, which is the outcome so it’s all good.
8. America can only intervene in Libya to save Libyan lives.
7. Nobody survived.
6. Nobody blamed it on a youtube video made by a guy who was arrested in the middle of the night for no reason by some guys out for a walk and jailed.
5. You are legally protected from being fired from State, but not from being fired on.
4. Hillary–what difference at this point does it make?
3. Obama knew nothing right away and did nothing about it.
2. It was the Republican Congress’s fault that nothing could be done to do nothing.
1. Nothing was done, therefore nothing could have been done.

Christien on February 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Where the eff is their conscience?

Bishop on February 8, 2013 at 10:13 AM

So long as they get paid and laid, they couldn’t care less, like more and more American’ts of late.

Christien on February 8, 2013 at 12:17 PM

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Panetta also states Obama was AWOL…so, how was Obama kept abreast of what was going on if he was AWOL?!

…just remember, there are people who know things who CAN’T say specifically WHAT they know or HOW they know it…because, as opposed to the magical world in which Eric Holder, Obama, Hillary and Penetta live, WE live in the real world where WE are most definitely ruled under the law and can/will be punished for violating that law…

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM

“That is all”

Schadenfreude on February 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Bing. O.

ghostwalker1 on February 8, 2013 at 12:27 PM

As a retired detective who has dealt with some of the most screwed individuals I have come to a conclusion about Obama. Here is a comment I made:

At some point we have to realize Obama isn’t right in the head. Narcissism is the gentle term used. What he is, what he became because of his nightmarish liberal, whacked out upbringing, is a person who thinks only of himself. It is all about survival combined with a need to be validated and loved.

What people really do not get is that these people appear to be more normal than normal people do because everything they are doing is an act. A life long play where they are the stars and everybody else is the supporting cast. They measure all acts against what they think normal people do, which often presents them to others as very smart and even keeled. (think Ted Bundy)

Unfortunately, they are also very unstable when it comes to accepting responsibility and criticism because it undermines their self vision. If they believe they cannot make mistakes and that keeps them under control, any attack on that belief can damage them.

Regular people know they screw up all the time and can take the criticism hit. We don’t let it affect how we see ourselves, because we see ourselves as imperfect already.

How does this affect work? Simple, if Obama knows this is going badly, and it was partially because of his policy implementation, he will immediately distance himself from the unraveling in order to be able to say “Hey, I trusted the experts, THEY screwed it up. They lied to me. I’m the victim here.” Also, by kicking the can over to others, he also continues to hide the fact he isn’t that bright (he is thought a genius), isn’t that engaged (he reads sooo much and is so complex, according to his acolytes), and his cool aloofness proves he is always in control (when privately the little scared boy inside is screaming at the dark).

I’m not surprised he bailed. He bailed on a number of issues. I’m not surprised those around him covered for him. He is, after all, their sainted one.

The sooner we realize we are in the s**t with this guy, the quicker we’ll not be surprised when he does things that insure his survival, like reducing the chances of ours.

And trust me, I know this personality from both professional and personal contact. After we are run over, he will claim it was our fault.

archer52 on February 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Schadenfreude on February 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

“When President Obama called on the Navy SEALs, they killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan. When Navy SEALs called on President Obama, he let them die in Benghazi.”

Spot on, Sergeant Major.

Christien on February 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

kpguru on February 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I think so too. This was less damaging than the truth, which is that they went to him and asked what they should do about rescue efforts and he said to do nothing.

Missy on February 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

You don’t know that this is true. Why do you keep claiming something that you can’t back up?

blink on February 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

THAT is where you are WRONG!

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 12:33 PM

For all of the Graham haters (of which I’ve been at times), he really needs to be commended for his efforts and questioning on the Benghazi issue. If it were not for him keeping the issue alive the Left would have swept it under the rug months ago.

Tater Salad on February 8, 2013 at 12:34 PM

HUAH!

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 12:35 PM

archer52 on February 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

In other words:

Daddy/abandonment issues + NPD + solipsism = Obama

Christien on February 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM

archer52 on February 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Bravo and well said; you should save that post and repost it anytime there is thread on Obama, it will always be pertinant to the subject at hand.

Tater Salad on February 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Old Fritz on February 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM

The public is dumbed down and morally bankrupt. The first lady is obsessed with designer clothes, celebrities and like her husband, being cool. The public looks to get a new Coach bag paid for with their EBT. It is disgusting. That’s what makes them so much more dangerous, people follow their lead and covet things.

tessa on February 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM

The US military isn’t even close to having this capability.

WRONG again, Blink! The military – as is the State department – IS responsible and CAPABLE – of responding and having forces on-hand — Marines iat the Embassy in Cairo! Again, it is NOT the job of some Libyan Militia to protect our Ambassador & Americans — it is the jobof the State Department & U.S. Military! They both FAILED! Furthermore, the response time from sigonella is LESS THAN 2 HOURS — the attack in benghazi lasted 9 hours, and Woods & the other SEAL were not killed until 7 hours into the firefight. Panetta LIED UNDER OATH by saying the nearest assistance was 9-12 hours away! Those 2 men didn,’t need an ‘ultra-fast’ response…they just needed a d@mn response PERIOD!

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Feel free to provide a link…

blink on February 8, 2013

I already have provided links, Blink.

You admit that the CIA gave a stand down order to the Ex-SEALs who responded. WHY?! Why were they told NOT to try to help save the U.S. Ambassador from assassination? Who gave that 1st order – how far up and from whom? The CIA also stated that they were in clear contact with them for 7 hurs, right up until the times of their death, that they kept calling our for assistance / fire support. If 2 SEALS could hold out for 7 HOURS, why wouldn’t ‘the forces that be’ send them assistance…especially when it is only 2 hours away.

Here’s another lesson for you, blink: It is obvious that you were never in the military. If you were, you never were truly ‘in’ the miiitary, otherwise you would KNOW the bond between commrades in arms…and you sure don;t know anything about SEALS! The teams in Signoella were highly trained specialists who were are expets at counter-terrorism and terrorist-related rescue missions. You can d@mn-well believe that when they hear that 2 fellow SEALs are in a firefight for their lives & that the Ambassador of the US is in jeopardy….ONLY 2 HOURS AWAY…they are going to GO! Just questioing that fact demonstrates how little you know. and are less than intelligent for questioning.

The fact that Panetta said the nearest assistance was 9-12 hours away when ANYONE can easily goodle the fact that these teams were at Sigonella 2 hours away proves Panetta is a d@mn LIAR and just committed PERJURY!

The FACT that no one was allowed/no one responded from sigonella proves the order was given. the fact that Woods was on top of the compound roof LAZING the terrorist’s mortar pits is PROOF that there were assets on-hand capable of stiking those targets. SOP, Blink! Ever lazed a target or been called to do so…been trained to do so, Blink? In a firefight, with 100 terrorists trying to kill you, you don’t stop to lase a target for shi’ites and grins with nothing to ‘synch’ with.

We could disect this whole thing, and I could educate you on SpecOps, military tactcs, training, weapons, etc…but from what I have read others saying about you nothing will ever change you mind. so, I guess we will have to agree to disagree…

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Sgt. Shultz B. Obama the know nothing, do nothing, did nothing, never will do anything, over paid, over worked, stinking skunk ever defended in the blink of an eye.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 8, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Any one belive one f’n word any of the low life commie Democrats just swore to under oath? NO.

Any one know their records of lies and fraud. Yes.

Any one notice it is a self appointed circle jerk of Obama gofer’s under orders to lie to hide the stinkey smell of no good skunks.

Could be much more imporant what Obama does not do rather than digging up the well hidden truth of what he has done.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 8, 2013 at 1:11 PM

ON EVIDENCE THAT CAN AND SHOULD BE OUT IN THE OPEN

Where are the people who did not get KIA.

What do they know.

Who are they.

Why did they not go with the two guys who went to the fight.

What was so important at the “other site” that some thought staying there and letting Amb. Stevens and others get killed was so imprortant they stood down.

Why did no one ask some real questions other than the long boney finger pointing they all do.

It is all misdirection to keep U.S. from knowning the real evil they were up to.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I think it’s pretty clear that he meant that they shouldn’t be counted on to have ultra-fast response times throughout the entire world. — Blink

The US military isn’t even close to having this capability.

It is a FACT, admitted by the State department, that Stevens & his Staff requested additional Security no less than 3 times, epcifically after the 2 PREVIOUS TERROR ATTEACKS prior to the 3rd final, fatal attack, the attack stevens warned he could not survive without additional security! Every time they were denied additional security, & no attempt was made to pull them out of Benghazi!

No ‘ultra-fast response’ was needed, Blink — they had MONTHS to provide forces/security. Stevens BEGGED for additional security & warned he would die without it. It is CRIMINAL that despite all that warning this administration turned its back on Americans in peril.

Forget the teams 2 hrs away at Sigonella – Had there been Marines there as were in Cairo Stevens & Woods might still be alive today. H#ll, 2 SEALs held off 100 terrorists for 7 hours….perhaps if 4 would have been assigned to Stevens he would still be alive today!

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM

All I have to say is =

Somebody ought to pull up Obama smiling fundrasing pic in Las Vegas the next day, every time Benghazi is mentioned.

Sir Napsalot on February 8, 2013 at 1:22 PM

lester and unfortunately also verbaluce, in front of your eyes.

Schadenfreude on February 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Again, LG is trying to push a non-factor as a factor.
This is classic lawyerin’.
I do hope some folks get professional about all of this.
But that won’t be as exciting for many of you.

verbaluce on February 8, 2013 at 11:04 AM

You liberals are disgusting, but the only redeeming factor is when the revolution comes (and it is), that you and yours will be first to go because you are helpless, stupid and weak. But I digress….

To the point, BOOOOOOOOOOSH would have been engaged and present for the entire eight hours. He would have INSISTED that something be done for those poor souls. Thirty minutes is an insult.

But you know this and so do we.

kim roy on February 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Of course they are. Our military has worldwide capabilities. This is indisputable.

What’s being disputed is the response TIMES for many situations and for many geographies.

You’re being incredibly stupid for ignoring this fact.

There should have been NO RESPONSE TIME NEEDED, Blink! Stevens begged for more security to be based THER…after 2 previous terror attacks & a warning that he would not survive a 3rd time without that additional security, & Hillary/Panetta/Obama turned their backs on Stevens, sentencing him to DIE!

Furthermore, the response time from sigonella is LESS THAN 2 HOURS
This claims proves that you know very little about planning and executing military operations from a high level.

1. Flight time does NOT equal response time. It’s stupid for you to claim otherwise. Even many Search-and-Rescue air assets (SAR) have a 1 hour launch time. That needs to get added to response time.
—–
2. There are no rapid-reaction ground forces stationed in Sigonella. The EUCOM in-extremis force is located in Germany. Their launch times are most likely much longer than one hour. Surely, you understand the constraints regarding keeping forces on perpetual “ready alert” status, right?

1. My point regarding pointing out that the response time (I meant to say ‘FLIGHT’ time’ is that even having to prep for 2 hours – which was NOT the case – they could still have been there in LESS THAN 4 HOURS! Woods and the other SEAL didn’t die until 7 hours in — they could have been saved, & PANETTA COMITTED THE CRIME OF PERJURY.

2) Woods was not LASING a target for GROUND FORCES, Blink…further showing you are an Id10t! He was lasing the target for the AC130 gunship or the armed predator overhead. You don’t need ground forces when you have an AC130 gunship. Also, if you did not know, SOP for the military for several years has also been low-level passes over protesters/large numbers of eneimies — this often scatters the attacers and ends the situation. Furthermore, the specially trained TEAM, trained for this situation, is all you need. You don’t need a large number of ground forces — again, 2 SEALs held off 100 terrorists for 7 hours! Finally, there were ‘ground forces’ — the Libyan Militia Obama entrusted our Ambassador who proved to be just as incompetent as Obama, Panetta, & Hillary…

You keep trying to make ‘valid points’ and only succeed in embarrasing yourself / exposing your ignorance.

easyt65 on February 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM