Hot new conservative rallying cry: “Support my campaign to thwart Karl Rove”?

posted at 1:21 pm on February 8, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Karl Rove is a man on a mission — a mission to help what he deems to be the most “electable” candidates actually get elected, whatever that may mean exactly in practice.

Right out of the starting gate, Sunday’s NYT story on Rove’s new group’s ambitions identified the possibility of Iowa Republican Rep. Steve King running for the soon-to-be vacated Senate seat of Democrat Tom Harkin — and King is preemptively sounding the alarm, via Politico:

Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa) says Karl Rove and American Crossroads are out to get him and his supporters should pony up to stop them.

…[T]he likely Iowa Senate candidate sent an email to supporters Thursday seeking cash for a potential campaign.

“I have not made a decision on this matter, but already Karl Rove and his army have launched a crusade against me,” King writes. …

“They said I couldn’t win in 2012 — the entire political machine was against me — but I soundly defeated my opponent by 8 percentage points,” he writes. “So let me be clear. Nobody can bully me out of running for the U.S. Senate, not even Karl Rove and his hefty war chest.”

But, Rove’s crusade actually probably isn’t a bad thing for King’s potential primary bid. If anything, the Attack of the Establishment is only likely to galvanize King’s supporters all the more, and Team King is actually kind of okay with it, reports Katrina Trinko at NRO:

Allies of the conservative potential Senate candidate are practically chortling about how the swings taken at King by Steven Law, president of the Conservative Victory Project, are boosting King’s prospective candidacy. …

Indeed, tea-partiers across the country have been galvanized by a New York Times story detailing a new effort by the Rove-run American Crossroads PAC to target purportedly unelectable GOP Senate candidates in primaries. …

“If Karl Rove wants to get Steve King to run, he’s doing a hell of a job,” says Ryan Rhodes, an Iowa tea-party coordinator. “It’s almost like pushing him to run.” …

“It probably did more to rally people around Steve King and to make it more difficult for guys like Tom Latham to explore a run than it did to convince Steve King not to run,” Robinson says.

As you might imagine, Mark Levin had much to say on the subject when he interviewed Rep. King on his radio show last night; take a listen over at RightScoop. Exit quote, just to peak your interest: “Bring it on, doughboy. Bring on your little whiteboard. We’re ready.”

Comments

I never liked Steve King…I hope someone else runs too.

vegconservative on February 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Karl Rove needs to STFD and STFU and fade into history.

SWalker on February 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Rove just needs to grow up to full Conservatism and leave the childish lack of full development behind.

Speakup on February 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Ineed, but there’s no hope, due to this.

Schadenfreude on February 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I love it. If conservatives ran against Karl Rove and establishment Republicans, it would do a lot to put the taint of the Bush era behind them and rebrand conservatives as anti big government, anti big business and anti Washington.

Nessuno on February 8, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Yeah, how dare Rove try to weed out the rowdy riff-raff in the party. Why he might even give the GOP a good name if he keeps this up!

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Hey Sparky, you’re part of the problem..:)

idesign on February 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

In general I’m against Rove’s new group, but I think Steve King (as much as I personally like the guy) would be a disaster in central and eastern Iowa. Why not Latham or Branstad or Reynolds instead? King has to know he’s a sure loser.

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

idesign on February 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I’m proud to know that you think so.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I think it’s just worth noting at this point that we’re now seeing conservative candidates being forced to treat organizations like Rove’s as being essential equal to the Democrats. It does certainly look like Rove’s on a quest to make all conservative candidates “unelectable.” If you ever needed evidence that the split was real and probably unhealable, here it is.

It actually isn’t great news because King has to defend himself from both the Democrats and MSM and a good chunk of the Republican party, which hates conservatives. It’s a war on two fronts, and this is one of the things that broke the back of the various insurgent candidates which opposed Romney in 2012.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Yeah, there’s no chance of that ever happening after Rove and American Crossroads totally blew it in 2012. Better luck next time!

Doomberg on February 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Doomberg on February 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM

And here I was thinking that it was Romney who blew it. Who knew it was really Rove?

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Yeah, that rowdy riff-raff that foisted Mitt “Electable” Romney and John “It’s My Turn” McCain on us.

CurtZHP on February 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

So. Mark Levin is out to guarantee another loss. And I like Mark Levin. Gee if he could limit voters to his radio audience these people might win.

Oh, BYW, the totally unelectable to-the-right of Steven King is thinking of running in Iowa too.
Vaner Plaats or whatever. And he’s lost every race he’s ever been on which should definitely make him welcome here to split and divide Republicans AND get that Iowa Akin vote from the Democrats!

Marcus on February 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I’m proud to know that you think so.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Go Romney…

idesign on February 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Boogie men unite!

rhombus on February 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I take it back: King’s not a sure loser. Some of his past comments just make me a little nervous. But I trust the voters of Iowa to sort it out.

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

CurtZHP on February 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I can’t seem to recall any foisting going on. As I remember it, the GOP had a primary and the best man won. Unfortunately, he wasn’t a good enough campaigner to beat PBHO.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Fight how when you have this headed for your nose? Good luck with landing three cherries on a two cherry slot machine.

Limerick on February 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

#War. Rove, you’re done. You’re a marshmallow in our microwave.

rrpjr on February 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Ooops forgot the link

Limerick on February 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Marcus on February 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I would take King over Vander Plaats any day. So would Iowan voters.

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 1:42 PM

King should invite Rove to go shooting…

workingclass artist on February 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Maybe Rove’s group will inadvertently lead to that third party that us conservatives always keep considering. Hmmmm… maybe it IS a good thing after all!

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Schadenfreude on February 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Comment from your link.

Can’t believe I’m responding to a responder who can’t believe anyone would respond to an obvious prank who some responders don’t believe was necessarily a prank but this responder does believe it was probably to get responders to respond to something that some responders couldn’t believe others would respond to even though they decided that they should respond and tell others that they should not be responding because only they were intelligent enough to make decisions about responding. Please respond if you think you have a need to respond to something this foolish.

Lol!

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Ineed, but there’s no hope, due to this.

Schadenfreude on February 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

There is always hope.

thebrokenrattle on February 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

What third party?

thebrokenrattle on February 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Oh you would take King over Vander Plaats? How similar to Missouri this would be with your “ESTABLISHMENT” candidate (boo!) and your TEA PARTY candidate and your ULTRA SOCIAL Conservative one. Is it an open primary? Anyway Dems break the bank on the last one and get him in the general: easy Senate pick up.

Marcus on February 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Then what would you have left to threaten?

rhombus on February 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Why don’t you Moderates, with your superior intelligence, just go ahead and rename the GOP “The Democratic Party II” and be done with it?

In fact, I bet some of you were posting on Liberal websites before Obama got elected.

kingsjester on February 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Come on y’all, stop picking on Karl. Its not like he’s a troll. Wait………………well, he might make a nice troll for HA. Erika, special exemption to open reg please.

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

What third party?

thebrokenrattle on February 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

The one that many of us would like to see formed when establishment RINOs preach that we have to reach across the aisle to socialist Democrats so that we can increase our country’s debt to fund un-Constitutional programs and undermine freedom so that Democrats can have a willing low-information vote harvest for perpetual Socialism!

THAT third party…

The one that needs to be formed…

To properly represent Conservative views…

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Good luck with that.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Then what would you have left to threaten?

rhombus on February 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Yeah, but it would be nice to not have to horse-whip those that are supposed to represent us into actually representing us. It would be nice to vote for someone, instead of against the worse of two evils.

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Marcus on February 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

From what I’ve observed, King is a lot smarter than Akin. Having spoken to him before, I’d say he’s a lot more knowledgeable and quicker on his feet. I don’t think he’d be ideal, but he could win in a close race if he stays disciplined.

If Iowans want a safe, conservative candidate, they’ll go with someone like Tom Latham.

If Iowans want a safe, somewhat less conservative candidate, they’ll go with someone like Branstad.

If they want a wildcard, someone like Kim Reynolds might be an interesting choice.

If they want to go down in flames, they’ll pick Vander Plaats (who I suspect Huckabee would throw his considerable corpulence behind) or one of the many Ron Paul-type nutjobs.

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Good luck with that.

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

And as soon as Conservatives realize that they need us a whole heck of a lot than we need them… that is when the tide will change.

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

You know exactly what I meant: http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11/08/15007504-karl-roves-election-debacle-super-pacs-spending-was-nearly-for-naught?lite

But, I guess you’re one of those types that thinks failure should be rewarded.

Doomberg on February 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

THAT third party…

The one that needs to be formed…

To properly represent Conservative views…

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Are you its founder? Are you waiting for someone else to do found it? Get off your PC and go mobilize this party now.

thebrokenrattle on February 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM

All Rove is trying to do is stop the Angles and Odonnels from being nominated again. But of course, cons have to turn it into an Establishment vs the Tea Party!!!!! crap. But oh well. Maybe Rove will help motivate cons to get their butts off the couch and actually vote. Thanks again for giving us a 2nd Obama term because Romney was pure enough! Ugh…

Jack_Burton on February 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Jack_Burton on February 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Okay, I’ll bite. Please explain what makes a McCain or a DOle, better than a Conservative canidate who has comparable experience or is currently serving on Capitol Hill?

kingsjester on February 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Speaking of Romney, what happens to all the inaugural gowns?

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Funny how the comments responding to mine seemed to fall in line with something I noted on Facebook. Someone linked to an article stating that the IRS was having trouble with enforcement due to budget cuts, and I wondered out loud… what would happen if 30 million people just decided not to pay taxes this year to an unethical, immoral government. What would they do? I know they would try to make examples of a few to generate fear. But what happened if people were tired enough of the constant fear that they just didn’t care anymore and just decided that they may as well put their faith in freedom and let the chips fall where they may. What do you think would happen…

I’m not advocating anarchy… but at some point there’s a tipping moment when the serfs realize that the few who rule over them are not acting in good faith in carrying out their duties. How many would vote to stay on the plantation when freedom is on the horizon? Just wondering out loud…

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 2:03 PM

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

King is not “the Akin” it’s Vander Plaats!! As I said if the Dems repeat their Missouri strategy Vander Plaats would be in the general with plenty of Democrat $$$$ having been spent to get him there.

Marcus on February 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Ineed, but there’s no hope, due to this.
Schadenfreude on February 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Confess, you wrote that. It’s a spoof right?

Ha ha! Pretty good. You had me going there for a minute.

Akzed on February 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Even though I live in Michigan, I contributed to Steve King in 2012 and I plan to do so again. He is one of the few tested conservatives in Congress.

Karl Rove underestimated how many Republicans truly loathe him and are ready and happy to fight him.

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Marcus on February 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I totally agree. While King has had some past missteps, he’s a smart guy and could probably pull off a decent race, winning by a close-ish margin. Vander Plaats is who the Dems are probably salivating over right now.

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Jack_Burton on February 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Romney has no one to blame for losing except Mitt Romney. He ran one of the worst Presidential campaigns in recent years. He hired establishment party hacks to run his campaign (e.g. the “etch-a-sketch” commenter) and refused to fight.

I loathe Mitt Romney, but I not only voted for him but also sent him a donation because the alternative was so horrid.

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Speaking of Romney, what happens to all the inaugural gowns?

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Betcha Jack Burton’s is pink.

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I hope Rove is happy dividing the party. What a jerk. The Left is so unified…this will only undo us further.

Jackalope on February 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Jack_Burton on February 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

George W. Bush and Karl Rove gave you another four years of Barry on top of eight years of Hillary. Dubya and “Turd Blossom” whizzed it all away with government expansion (in now Blue VA, especially); two unpopular wars; and unchecked illegal immigration.

Oh, and too many single moms, Hispanics, kids, etc. etc. etc. love government far too much to pull the lever for Moderate Mitt — let alone a Conservative Republican, which hasn’t existed since Calvin Coolidge, BTW — despite chronic unemployment and US decline.

The jig is up, the Democrats won, and there is little reason to support the Stupid Beta Male Party that calls itself “the opposition” while singing hymns from the Left’s choir book out of fear of being called a “sexist”, or a “racist”, or a “giant poopy head” in the black and white pages of dying publications, never watched networks, or some blogger’s basement.

It’s ridiculous.

No, I want to vote for a Smart Alpha Male Third Party that will reassert itself in the face of the effete overlords who are running this country into the ground. The GOP had its chance, has failed –for what, seventy years? — and needs to move on into the dustbin of political history.

Punchenko on February 8, 2013 at 2:32 PM

In general I’m against Rove’s new group, but I think Steve King (as much as I personally like the guy) would be a disaster in central and eastern Iowa. ***
steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

That’s part of what makes Rove’s effort so dangerous. Tea Party groups need to get better at vetting candidates. They are sometimes prone to reflexively gravitating to self-styled “real conservative” candidates who are attacked by the “GOP Establishment,” as if being opposed by establishment groups is itself a virtue.

Party organizations can really help teach Tea Party groups how to properly vet candidates to avoid O’Donnell/Angle-type situations. But as long as the GOP is “at war” with the Tea Party, those types of interactions can’t occur. (In Delaware, for instance, the party groups begged the tea party groups to stop backing O’Donnell because they knew she was a deeply flawed candidate. But the tea party groups distrusted the GOP so much that they doubled-down on O’Donnell as soon as “establishment” folks started raising the alarm about her. And we now have a Democratic senator from Delaware).

All Rove is doing is making things worse, not better, and is spending bajillions of dollars in the process.

Outlander on February 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM

MJBrutus on February 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Good to see you back. How many dozen times did you assure us that Mitt Romney would be the next President? Ah, the Mittlers!

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Here’s my Tea Party salute to The Architect.

I made it today.

madmonkphotog on February 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

madmonkphotog on February 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Nicely done! You could have taken a squirt on it before microwaving it though. ; ) P.S I’d throw that blender away now too.

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM

“Bring it on, doughboy. Bring on your little whiteboard. We’re ready.”

…works for me!…I’m still waiting for Oiho and Florida to come in!…Those figures were wrong!

KOOLAID2 on February 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Mark Levin is a joke. That guy with his divisive, vitriol-spewing shtick hurts the conservative cause as much as he helps.

99% of the rabidly anti-Rove commenters here squealing about “the establishment” boogeymen they’ve built up in their heads are just parroting Mark Levin, who gives them their opinions.

To all the whiners: deal with it!

bluegill on February 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Outlander on February 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Just to be clear, I opposed the nomination of O’Donnell in Delaware (and likewise disdained Castle).

However, from the perspective of the Tea Partiers there, they only alternative they were presented with was Mike Castle, who is pretty much the poster boy for terrible “establishment” candidates. If the GOP wants to kiss and make up with the Tea Party, they will need to be prepared to find compromise candidates, and by compromise candidates I do mean someone with an actual conservative voting record as opposed to a Romney type who was basically a “less bad liberal.”

Rove is feeding into Tea Party suspicions that the Republicans have quietly morphed into a second liberal party and are trying to jettison them entirely.

Doomberg on February 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Here’s my Tea Party salute to The Architect.

I made it today.
madmonkphotog on February 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Crazy and disturbing. I bet you are a Mark Levin listener, right?

bluegill on February 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

I think you guys have it wrong, I’m sorry. I abhor everything Obama is doing. I am a staunch conservative, but I believe in the Buckley rule: the most conservative that can win. That is what Rove is trying to do. He claimed on O’Reilly that he supported Rubio. What is Mark Levin talking about? The Republican party lost several solidly leaning Republican seats starting with Harry Reid – until Sharon Angle entered the equation. Rove was also right about O’Donnell in Delaware. A fire breathing conservative that Levin supports, simiply cannot win in a state like mine (CT) or in Delaware. No, we aren’t splitting the difference. And we need to stop talking about abortion and rape. Concede those issues. Do you hear the Dems talking about gun control in an election year? We have a lot to learn from them.

Gardis - CT on February 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I am a little sick of the posturing by every single group in the GOP.

You guys sound like a bunch of five-year-old kids arguing over a toy. Maybe even a bunch of adolescent boys measuring each others manhood.

How about you guys sit in a room, slug it out, talk, sing songs, get drunk- whatever it takes.

Because until you start working together, all of you, get use to the view.

Marcus Traianus on February 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Sounds a lot like you.

I’m sure most of them don’t even listen to his show.

You’re more emotional-seeming than anyone else on this thread so far. Talk about getting upset. You wacko, embarrassing loser.

To all the whiners: deal with it!

bluegill on February 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Palin! Boo!

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM

This whole anti-Rove thing is a little over-blown. Rove isn’t, nor ever been, anything other than a political operative, whose job it is to analyse the electorate and get candidates elected. What he isn’t is part of the conservative ‘thought” process, those who are complaining are elevating him beyond what he wants to be; a guy who wants to get Republicans elected.

Tater Salad on February 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Palin! Boo!

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Lol! Missed you at the thread. ; )

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Crazy and disturbing. I bet you are a Mark Levin listener, right?

bluegill on February 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

You sad, humorless minnow.

I see you’ve moved on from the Palin-driven conspiracy theories and are busy creating a Mark Levin cabal in your fish-head.

Crazy and disturbing, indeed.

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Palin! Boo!

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Lol! Missed you at the thread. ; )

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Sorry, wrong button. ; )

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Lol! Missed you at the thread. ; )

Bmore on February 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I was late. Got busy cleaning my lures and tackles.

steebo77 on February 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM

I can’t quite figure out if I’m a conservative, establishment conservative, a squish, or a RINO. These labels are making my head spin. I’ve read some posters claim they are the arbiters of conservatism, yet apply anti-conservative solutions to their desired issue. At this point I’m lost, other than to say I would prefer to have this argument while in power in Congress and the WH.

Tater Salad on February 8, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Two things. First, I certainly don’t believe his vitriol or contempt helps. But at least he is out in the open with it.

Second. Mark is brilliant, educational and factual. Most people in the party wouldn’t last five minutes in a debate on facts with him. Most people outside the party would not last 30 seconds.

That being said, there is a lot of talking past each other in the GOP. So neither Mark, nor Rove, nor Priebus, nor Cantor, nor Boenher or so-called outside “leaders” like Erickson help the cause with their nonsense.

Maybe, just maybe- they should stop thinking of themselves for a minute, pick up the phone and talk to each other. Because until that happens we will be on the outside.

Marcus Traianus on February 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Marcus

Umm…it’s already a dem seat. They wouldn’t be picking up anything.

To all the whiners: deal with it!

bluegill

Who said “I like to fire people” and “I don’t care about 47% of the country”, Akin or Angle? Actually, I think it was Rove’s guy, wasn’t it?

xblade on February 8, 2013 at 3:42 PM

My biggest beef with Levin is I’ve never seen him on a panel like a Sunday show or in a debate format like Hannity and Carville (I think) have done. And I like him but no I just don’t buy it’s purely because they’re terrified of him.

Marcus on February 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Say, Karl, what’s your winning percentages looking like post-W?

Because if its ‘all about the wins’ then ‘where’s the beef?’

ajacksonian on February 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Marcus Traianus on February 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I tended go along with your analogy on there being lots of different voices within the conservative movement, UNTIL you brought up Erick Erickson. He is nothing more than wind bag who hasn’t had an original thought or accomplishment in his life.

He has tended to run so many away from his web site due to the overly evangelical nature his site takes. There is clearly a place for evangelicals within the GOP, just as there is a place for Catholic conservatives, Jewish conservatives, agnostic conservatives, and yes even Morman conservatives.

Tater Salad on February 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM

PS. sorry for goof in the above post, those are my highlighted words in response to Marcus Traianus

Tater Salad on February 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I think you meant PIQUE our interest.

Gus Bailey on February 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Tater Salad on February 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Rove goes on tv and pistols whips GOP candidates. The DEMs use these attacks as proof the GOP is incompetent. The people who voted for the ones hated by Rove take it personally. Then, he wants them to vote his way in bigger elections. The guy is too big headed to understand he is a party destroyer.

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Rove hates ‘bad’ republicans worse than democrats. It is very tricky to hide contempt, and his contempt is taken personally by the voters he despises. If he doesn’t want a new party, he is signalling he wants a new base. There is only one way to take it: Eat Schtick or get out. There are folk with the talent to unite. He is not one of them

THAT third party…

The one that needs to be formed…

To properly represent Conservative views…

dominigan on February 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

People talking third party are not fools. They are caught betwen a rock, and a hard place. The Party leadership suckers them regularly on the premise they have no other place to go. At some point, the disenfranchised will take themselves out of the GOP, whether or not they gain in a third party.

This is some of the reason voters stayed home in the last election. Disenfranchised, blue collar, financially broken conservative/independent voters who saw no proof they should trust the Rovers

Marcus on February 8, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Levin is that good. He isn’t on the venues much anymore. He is too unpredictable and doesn’t fit the formula. I agree with him in toto on this issue. His book, Ameritopia is very important because we are on the cusp of dropping the philosophicle underpinnings that gave us personal liberty. What used to be taught, is now being erased. He understands the need to re educate people to the threat

entagor on February 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM

What it means in practice is that we try to do better than O’Donnell and Mourdock and Angle and Aiken and a lot of other people who should never have been nominated. It just amazes me, Freedom Works, Sarah Palin, Club for Growth…all sorts of parties and groups and individuals can support people to run for office, but apparently Karl Rove is not supposed to…not unless he supports the people that the Tru Cons want him to.

Cry babies. I can remember a time when conservatives did not whine all the damn time. They won more elections when they acted like grown ups.

Terrye on February 8, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Ready to do what? Lose? What did Levin do to help defeat Obama? Nothing. Nada. Zip. He backed a bunch of losers, attacked Romney relentlessly right up until he secured nomination…even though Levin had to know that none of the other candidates had a chance.

Levin is like a lot of other people in conservative media, he is more interested in selling books than he is in winning elections. He just does not care about that…right up until we have to deal with 4 more years of Obama and Reid and then he cries about awful it all is.

What is the deal? Is Levin afraid of Rove? Why make an issue of this?

Terrye on February 8, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Christine O’Donnell 2016! Kuz karl rove be the new enemy or somethin.

V7_Sport on February 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Yay! Doing whatever can be done to stir crap among Republicans, divide them and ensure Democrats get elected. Hot Air continuing its long standing tradition of appearing to be “conservative” yet actually helping the Democrats.

crosspatch on February 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Dear Karl Rove – Time to leave and let the next generation take the reins. What worked in ’02 and ’06 won’t work anymore. And take McCain and the lot with you.

Thanks for your effort, and best of luck in the future.

Ygritte on February 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

George W. Bush and Karl Rove gave you another four years of Barry BAMSTAHHHHHHH!!!!! YOU DA MANNNNNNNNNNN BAMMMMMMMY BABYYYY!!! LOVE YA BARRY OL BUDDY OL PALLLLLLL!!!!!! YAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Punch February PM

cableguy615 on February 8, 2013 at 7:31 PM

bluegill on February 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM

THAR SHE BLOWS!!!
Yeah, I know I’m late, dang job is always gettin’ in the way.

S. D. on February 8, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Honestly, it’s kind of funny to see how upset some people when they hear that their preferred candidate might not run unopposed in the upcoming primaries. Oh, how upset they are that they will have a harder time pushing through another wacko, embarrassing loser like Akin or Angle.To all the whiners: deal with it!bluegill on February 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM

You’re right. It was funny to see you get upset that someone might actually oppose and run against mistress. Good thing your president prevailed over my anti-vote. Indeed yours is the last laugh. Look!!! A breadball! Grab it quick!

AH_C on February 9, 2013 at 1:36 AM

bw222 on February 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Yeah, I was wrong. So sad.

MJBrutus on February 9, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I liked Rove’s analysis of what was going to happen in the election, but took it with a grain of salt. Of course, he backed Romney, and he was wrong. I voted for Romney only because he was the only rational alternative to Obama. Rove is wrong again now, and middle of the road pansy, me-too Republicans are not the answer, never have been, never will be. So Karl, just continue your analysis, we will accept the fact that you got lucky with a Bush, and tolerate you.

georgeofthedesert on February 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM