MSNBC: My, the GOP is really out to get the Post Office, aren’t they?

posted at 9:11 pm on February 7, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

You might be tempted to think that an increasingly antiquated government entity that posted a $16 billion deficit in 2012 alone, that has defaulted on its $11.1 billion retiree health benefit prefunding payments, and has maxed out its $15 billion lifeline with Treasury — and that has readily available private-sector alternatives champing at the bit to more efficiently and profitably take up their market share — would accept that they are acting as a net drain on taxpayers and the economy and go gently into that good night of obsoleteness, or even just pragmatically innovate and/or drastically scale back their operations.

Not these guys. Via the WFB:

GERRY CONNOLLY: In the 2006 legislation, what is so monstrous about this, Ed, and you got it is they created this crisis in that lame duck legislation of the Republican Congress in 2006, and now they say, well, there is a crisis we created, and there is no choice but all these horrible decisions that will further kill a viable and vibrant postal service.

“Viable and vibrant”? What the what?

Yes, cutting down on the USPS’ operations may mean real, material pain for a few people in the short term — and the related unions and their Democratic allies certainly don’t like that. The Postal Service’s continual subsidization, however, comes at the cost of a sounder federal budget and a more robust economy that would make us all better off — the type of economy that can boast more productive, private-sector jobs that mean the government doesn’t need to keep wasting our money to boost up its politically favored industries.

This is so perfectly, painfully demonstrative of the United States’ current conundrum: Every single one of our many government outlays has its respective interest group(s), who will fight tooth and nail to make sure that particular bit of our oversized federal budget doesn’t get eliminated. Everybody wants to cut spending, just not their spending — and any GOPer that dares to point out the obvious fiscal realities will be relentlessly demonized. The end.

Comments

Do democrats not have any understanding of economics on any level?

tom daschle concerned on February 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Azzholes from the USPS unions claim, on TV, that “the gov’t has never contributed to the USPS budget”.

May they instantly combust, the fools/liars.

Schadenfreude on February 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Do democrats not have any understanding of economics on any level?

tom daschle concerned on February 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM

If they play dumber than rocks they get away with more.

Schadenfreude on February 7, 2013 at 9:14 PM

If their monopoly on 1st class mail was ever halted, there would be one empty brick building with a flag out front in every town…

hillsoftx on February 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Do democrats not have any understanding of economics on any level?

tom daschle concerned on February 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM

That understanding is based on Marx – NO!

Galt2009 on February 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM

More of an inside job isn’t it?

Bmore on February 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM

What a dastardly bunch. The GOP’ers wanna drone the post offices too? ;-)

tommy71 on February 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

And we are going after Santa Clause too..

Electrongod on February 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

So what is the Democratic plan once they run out of money, can no longer make ‘interest only’ payments, and NO ONE will lend them any more money?

Just print it?

Yeah, that will work.

GarandFan on February 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Man we are just EVIL!

If a private entity took over the post office – stamps would be 10 cents.

gophergirl on February 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Just print it?

Yeah, that will work.

GarandFan on February 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I heard that Obama said that Pelosi will become Speaker of the House soon..
We will be saved…

Electrongod on February 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Do democrats not have any understanding of economics on any level?

tom daschle concerned on February 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM

…track history says…NOPE!

KOOLAID2 on February 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Reminds me of that movie line: “This place is a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere”.

Everything bad that happens in this nation can be directly traced back to either a GOP congress, POTUS, or both. Strange and curious.

Bishop on February 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM

It was absolutely hysterical to watch this one. Suddenly this ‘nasty GOP made them fund their pensions’ meme hit all over the place at the same time this morning.

Someone was coordinating this talking point somewhere.

JEM on February 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM

If a private entity took over the post office – stamps would be 10 cents.

gophergirl on February 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Well..
There will be some minor fluctuation due to competition…

And..

The Sunday paper coupons!

Electrongod on February 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Lol! No One could be, as wrong, as often, as the Dems & their rino allies, without intent. Even a broken clock… but not Dems or the eSTAB repubes/rinos. Ofer always!

God Bless America!

paratisi on February 7, 2013 at 9:25 PM

The stunning, and cost effective, success of UPS and Fed-Ex has made it eminently clear to the US Postal Service administration and employees that the private sector can, and will, do the job more effectively and efficiently. Hence, the calculated and misanthropic decision within the administration of the USPS to vilify and denigrate all who suggest that privatization would improve the service and save the taxpayers a great deal of money. Since most of the subsidization of the USPS has been through the auspices of the Democrats responding to union pressure, the natural target of that vilification and denigration is the GOP, which has tried to make the case for a free market solution.

thatsafactjack on February 7, 2013 at 9:30 PM

You might be tempted to think that an increasingly antiquated government entity . . . that has readily available private-sector alternatives champing at the bit to more efficiently and profitably take up their market share — would accept that they are acting as a net drain on taxpayers and the economy and go gently into that good night of obsoleteness . . .

I’m so not with my fellow right-wing brethren on this post office thing. I know of no private alternatives at all. There’s no private business that will visit my magnificent niece in Alaska everyday just to see if she has anything to send, grab it if she does, and get me my new rock a quarter-turn of the planet away.

It seems like the post office is one of the few things the federal government should actually be doing.

/puts on asbestos shorts

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Do Democrats not have any understanding of economics on any level?

tom daschle concerned on February 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Not when one of their voting blocks is concerned…

Hence the proposed 1% raise for the military in 2014…

Khun Joe on February 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

/puts on asbestos shorts

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

How will those shorts stop a .338 Lapua screaming in at eye level?

Bishop on February 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Maybe they could just stop delivering junk mail for a penny.

Ronnie on February 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM

“this should be the time when the postal service should be expanding their business”

Wha? Reminds me of Evan Sayet’s theory that liberalism is essentially just a contrarian ideology.

theperfecteconomist on February 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM

“I think private insurers should be able to compete. They do it all the time. I mean, if you think about, if you think about it, um, UPS and FedEx are doing just fine. Right? The, uh, no they are. I mean, it’s the post office that’s always having problems.”

- President Barack Obama, 11 August 2009

‘Nuff said.

Resist We Much on February 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM

at eye level

Bishop on February 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

/adds “I am not a skeet” T-shirt

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Come on, the Post Office is a ‘National Institution’. To ensure its profitability, we should probably ban assault email services. Those are so rapidfire and never, ever stop. Probably a background check for those requiring email services, and limitations of 1 email/week (for emergency cases of death in the family or the son turns out to be a gay boy scout). Thats the way we preserve the venerated Post Office.

tommy71 on February 7, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Except that the vast majority of Democrats voted for the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act of 2006.

It passed the House by a 410-5 vote and was authored by two Democrats, one of which was Henry Waxman.

Also, it passed the Senate by a 100-0 vote, meaning that Obama voted for this when he was just a crappy senator.

sentinelrules on February 7, 2013 at 9:47 PM

It seems to me they don’t need to deliver on consecutive days and maybe only twice a week. Tuesday and Friday or Monday and Thursday. If someone is desperate for faster service they can use the commercial couriers. There would be no complaints at all after a couple of months. People just wouldn’t wait for the last minute to mail something and would adjust.

Buddahpundit on February 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Ahhh…nostalgia.:) I’d almost go along with that…if the service hadn’t deteriorated so very badly over the last few years. I have a hard time even getting my mail these days, and if I’m rash enough to have something shipped to me via USPS, it arrives either broken, or in a box so filthy and battered that it’s a miracle that it wasn’t broken. Often, just for a change of pace, my mail is delivered to one of my neighbors at random, and I receive the mail of yet another neighbor. I’ve had packages which required signature on delivery, left lying under my welcome mat or shoved into the large handle of my front doors. Service isn’t what it used to be, yet the taxpayer’s are footing the bill for it none the less.

thatsafactjack on February 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM

The huge problem with the gop is THEY DON’T REFUTE these stupid lines of attack.

Jan Schakowsy or whatever her name is from Illinois talking about the republicans wanting to “take the food out of the mouths of children” because they want to slow the explosive growth of food programs, etc.

No one on the gop side pushes back against this narrative (thank you George W. Bush and Karl Rove for your tactics of ignoring Democrat attacks for 8 years) and IT STICKS.

What the ****** is wrong with you republican leaders?

WHY DON’T YOU FIGHT BACK
WHY DON’T YOU FIGHT BACK
WHY DON’T YOU FIGHT BACK
WHY DON’T YOU FIGHT BACK
WHY DON’T YOU FIGHT BACK
WHY DON’T YOU FIGHT BACK
WHY DON’T YOU FIGHT BACK
WHY DON’T YOU FIGHT BACK

#sigh, beating my head against a brick wall.

PappyD61 on February 7, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Spending problems are like your hair.
“Long hair, short hair … what’s the difference one the head’s blowed off”

J_Crater on February 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM

USPS employs more blacks than any other employer outside of the military. The GOP is racist!

SouthernGent on February 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

As an obstetrician, I can’t tell you the number of postal employees who want to sit home and collect “disability” during their pregnancy – from 8 weeks on. (no, they don’t get a note from me). They are the worst.

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

The P.O. is running a $16B loss. They haven’t reduced nearly enough brick and mortar stores. You can get stamps at Costco and those Mail It stores…heck we even have a U.S. Post Office licensee office in our local Chevron gas station. You can even print your own stamps now via the computer. At some point, they are going to have to adjust. Most of my mail is JUNK MAIL. I can accept reducing the amount of days they deliver.

FHA is also looking for a bailout. They are $16B in the red too….

CoffeeLover on February 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Schadenfreude on February 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Well, they also claim they aren’t being subsidized and yet a letter sent here (DC) to Gerry Connolly’s office just across the Potomac river costs the same as a letter sent to Hawaii. Sorry but subsidization is going on all over the place to make that a reality.

The real question, one never asked by the unions or the Democrats that support them in these discussions, is does the American public think Saturday mail delivery is all that important? Is this about serving the needs of Americans or is it about keeping postal union members on the public payrolls?

Happy Nomad on February 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Oh just great #sigh…

If the sun blew up, we’d be blamed for it.

Pox on the left, seriously.

Scrumpy on February 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Ahhh…nostalgia.:)

thatsafactjack on February 7, 2013 at 9:49 PM

This isn’t nostalgia. The post is a big part of my life. They bring me money, they bring me toothpaste, they come get my stuff . . . My very modern, very high-tech life, thank you. :)

But none of this should be interpreted as wanting a horse to come to my house. I’m not against it — I’m pro-horse. But innovation is on the table.

My experience with the USPS is generally good, I should say, to put on the scale against yours. UPS has handed me a couple of broken boxes, but the post office almost never does. And outside of a big city, you need to be dressed like Colonel Sanders to be thinking of private couriers.

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Hey Scrumpy…how are you doing tonight?

CoffeeLover on February 7, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I can accept reducing the amount of days they deliver.

CoffeeLover on February 7, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Years ago, I suggested that households could get by with mail delivery three days a week with some households on a Mon-Wed-Fri route and others on a Tue-Thu-Sat route.

I literally get nothing by snail mail that requires immediate attention. And oftentimes, like the county taxes, the bill comes by snail mail but the payment is made online. In short, idiots like Gerry Connnolly who are out there whining on behalf of a union have it all wrong. America has grown out of he need of six days of mail delivery. In another decade the need will be even less.

Happy Nomad on February 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Marcus on February 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Nope. I am sure the union has a list of obstetricians that are more accomodating. Anybody who signs one of those disability notes when there is no disability is the worst.

Happy Nomad on February 7, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Well, there IS Art. I, Sec 8 of our Constitution, which gives to Congress the right to establish post offices and postal routes…

The Post Office is constrained in a variety of ways by the Constitution — while its competitors are not. We’ve already seen how liberal companies, when presented with conservative communications, act to prevent the dissemination of said communications. The Postal Service cannot do this.

As Axe points out above, the postal service is the only capability for communications which is required to service every American. None of the cable or telephone companies have that requirement, nor do the Postal Service’s competitors.

I just wish I could opt out of junk mail.

unclesmrgol on February 7, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Class warfare, Axefellow? No one is suggesting a ‘private courier’. It doesn’t cost much to stop at the UPS or Fed-Ex offices while in town shopping and mail off a box with a rock in it.. provided, of course, it’s not a boulder, rather than a rock. The very nice person behind the counter will even assist you in packaging your rock for safe shipment. :)

How often did that box from UPS contain something that was broken, not as a result from the fault or rough handling of the UPS personnel, but from shoddy or inadequate packing practices from the shipper?

And so…you’re saying that your ‘modern high tech life’ depends on an antiquated institution that has run itself into the ground financially. ( Toothpaste ? Seriously… you need to get out of the oubliette more often.:))

thatsafactjack on February 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Someone was coordinating this talking point somewhere.

JEM on February 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM

There is truth to the “meme”.

The republicans in 2006 did in fact require the USPS to pre-fund retiree health benefits for the next 75 years within a 10 year period to the tune of 8 billion dollars a year. The USPS is the only government controlled entity that has this requirement and it came at a time the USPS was in the black.

The USPS can’t raise rates, close post offices, scale back on employees or basically, make any changes to reform current operations without government permission. This is a government created mess.

Wendya on February 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM

thatsafactjack on February 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Well . . .

1. Private couriers aren’t an option for most people. The point being that “private sector alternatives exist” — no they don’t.

2. For several years, there was no “going to town.” I’ll spare you the details. And why would you want me to trade a superior system for an inferior one, anyway? I don’t have to go to town, stand in any lines, or enjoy a smiling person behind a counter. You can call it antiquated if you want, but there’s nothing antiquated about the post office; it’s actually a very sophisticated part of our infrastructure.

3. Hitting a button on your computer and having toothpaste show up at your house strikes me as pretty high tech.

4. Any point you are making about bad service is something I want to skip because it’s off my point. I don’t want to be forced to defend shenanigans. I’m not actually trying to defend the post office — just the existence of the post office. I would have the shenanigans stop. I’d end public sector unions, I’d work to improve service, I’d have the post office reschedule deliveries and pickups — all besides the point.

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

/puts on asbestos shorts

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM

People who live in rural areas understand the importance of the USPS. 10 years ago Fedex rarely ever deliverd to my town. Even today, the drivers have to come from 85 miles away and if the weather is crap, forget it. If the USPS is dissolved, private carriers will jump on the opportunity to pick up the cities and suburban areas. The small towns will be left without service because it’s not cost effective to deliver to them unless you can spread the cost out over the entire country.

Wendya on February 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Do democrats not have any understanding of economics anything on any level?

tom daschle concerned on February 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Fixed it.

HiJack on February 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Do democrats not have any understanding of economics anything on any level?

tom daschle concerned on February 7, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Fixed it.

HiJack on February 7, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to answer it: HELL NO!

HiJack on February 7, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Just the Republicans?

Two Democrats authored the 2006 bill. Passed the House by a 410-5 margin and voted 100-0 in favor in the US Senate.

Democrats wanted this as much as the Republicans.

sentinelrules on February 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I for one will miss all of the junk mail that I get every Saturday.

tdpwells on February 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Where did you see me post that the Post Office should be done away with completely?

Competition, and the free market, are good for business, and even services that are clearly so poorly run that the notion of ever breaking even is completely out of reach, would profit from competition and innovation. And many of the systems used by the post office are antiquated, from management systems to human resources programs. That’s why they’re bankrupt. While sorting and movement of mail may be modernized, the core systems upon which this organization depends have remained essentially unchanged, administration and management, due largely to the vested interests in keeping the status quo in those departments by the union and the belief that the government would simply provide all the cash they needed forever. It was a prescription for waste and rank cronyism.

In fact, I think that the Postal Service will be downsized and that core changes will be made. Already Saturday delivery is going to be curtailed. I expect more of the same. I also expect private sub contractors to bid for routes, among other changes.

As to your not having to ‘go to town, stand in lines’…since you brought it up… I worry about the fact that many people aren’t getting out to see their fellow Americans face to face, particularly in their own communities. I’m not convinced that being able to order everything, particularly the daily little necessities, delivered to one’s door is a good idea or even good for the individual, with the obvious exception of those who cannot get out to run errands and shop for the necessities for health reasons. Social interaction is vital to people’s perceptions of community and their neighbors and, its vital to one’s overall sense of well being, too. I enjoy running errands and shopping for the necessities because it DOES afford me the opportunity to observe and interact with the people of the community as they go about their business. I like the florist and the baker and the checker at the grocery store and I like to talk to them about their businesses and their families. I’m not the type to stop at Starbucks and linger over coffee, unless it’s a business meeting, but I do enjoy my community when I’m out and about.

thatsafactjack on February 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM

If a private entity took over the post office – stamps would be 10 cents.

gophergirl on February 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM

No offense my friend but we have a private entity in charge of printing money. And one of their dollars is worth less than ten cents.

So your comment might be correct if adjusted for the fed factor. Just saying.

platypus on February 7, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Competition, and the free market, are good for business . . .

K. :)

In fact, I think that the Postal Service will be downsized and . . .

K. :)

I worry about the fact that many people aren’t getting out to see their fellow Americans face to face . . .

Meh.

thatsafactjack on February 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Axe on February 7, 2013 at 11:30 PM

thatsafactjack on February 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Just the Republicans?

Democrats wanted this as much as the Republicans.

sentinelrules on February 7, 2013 at 11:05 PM

You seem to be missing the point that the Republicans controlled both the House and Senate when this was passed. It wouldn’t have made it to the floor if they hadn’t supported it. If pre-funding all retiree health care for 75 years into the future over a 10 year period… which includes employees who haven’t even been hired yet is such a great idea, why is it that the federal government does NOT pre-fund fed employee healthcare for employees? Because no one does it.

Wendya on February 7, 2013 at 11:44 PM

It wouldn’t have made it to the floor if they hadn’t supported it.

And it wouldn’t have passed the Senate if the Democrats filibustered. The GOP only had 55 senators.

sentinelrules on February 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Wendya on February 7, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Absolutely agree.

We are supposed to be constitutional conservatives here. Well, running post offices and a postal service is one of the specifically enumerated powers of the federal government in the Constitution. No, the postal service needs to stay even if it’s not cost effective. There are simply no private sector alternatives. The math just doesn’t work for a private company.

Shump on February 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Shump on February 8, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Where in the constitution is it enumerated that postal workers have to receive retirement health care benefits?
While the rest of us have Medicare?
Enough with this unaffordable inequality.

And no one needs mail delivery 6 days a week.

It she be lowered to 3 days a week -

M – W – F

And UPS will fill the void.

FlaMurph on February 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I actually use the first class mail service quite a bit. Lot’s of things I sell will fit nicely in a #10 envelope. it’s still relatively cheap and fast. It should be cheaper. If they wanted to charge more for all the junk mail and solicitations and charge less for first class, that would be fine with me.

Where I live, I don’t have an alternative to USPS for small packages. The nearest UPS office is over 35 miles away.

If somebody wants to privatize the whole thing, I’m OK with that, too. As long as I have some kind of service available in my little town. All kinds of businesses still need mail service. They are in front of me in the line at the counter and they are in back of me, too.

trigon on February 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM

While the rest of us have Medicare?
Enough with this unaffordable inequality.

And no one needs mail delivery 6 days a week.

It she be lowered to 3 days a week -

M – W – F

And UPS will fill the void.

FlaMurph on February 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM

The USPS is considered a private entity under government control. USPS employees aren’t federal employees. Their retirement benefits aren’t paid for by taxpayers. They are funded the way the rest of the organization is funded… through people who purchase postage. Unlike most private organizations, they are run by people who make their decisions purely based on politics. For example, the payments they have been forced to make to pre-fund retirement healthcare benefits for the next 75 years are sent directly to the federal government. They are not allowed to invest them as a private company would; they are used to purchase government bonds. When they finally started making large profits, the congress saw a way to siphon money from them by forcing them to buy US debt, allowing the government to keep spending at unsustainable levels. Try to keep in mind they are allowed to make very few decisions about how to run their business without first asking for government approval. If you want to know why they can never seem to get their act together, look towards the idiots in Congress, both Democrat and Republican.

Wendya on February 8, 2013 at 1:51 AM

The repubs remind me of Brave Sir Robin:

When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled!

They wouldn’t defund NPR – I think the post office will be just fine.

Panther on February 8, 2013 at 6:06 AM

WTF? Obama in Sept 2011 clearly stated he supports 5 day delivery. Im running late but just google Obama Postal supports

malkinmania on February 8, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Our Post offices here in Possum Holler are as well managed as a cat litter box with 5 cats!

Come in at the busiest time, lunch hour and suddenly all but one person leaves for lunch. So ten people in line (mostly old folks like me) and one cranky Unionista about to go “postal”. And the sighs from the customers in line are VERY audible.

Shut the sucker down. 1/2 the time now we go to the UPS store to mail stuff.

PappyD61 on February 8, 2013 at 7:06 AM

NPR

National Progressive radio?

Talk about elitism on parade………Vomit (in my deepest slow voice so I seen intellectual).

PappyD61 on February 8, 2013 at 7:15 AM

If they reduce mail delivery to 2 days a week they still wouldn’t cut one job, one salary, or reduce one employees benefits. They would just have to work even less to receive their Sugar Daddy benefits.

trs on February 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM

May they instantly combust, the fools/liars.

Schadenfreude on February 7, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Because that nice protection racket they’re running for them (a.k.a. their exemption from the Sherman Antitrust Act) never contributed to their budget.

blammm on February 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Let’s clarify, however, that the Post Office is one of the few Constitutionally mandated “industries”. Perhaps we need an amendment to change that. But, I can’t see where the government can just abandon the PO. I could see letting contractors compete to provide the service, though.

It most assuredly can’t continue as it is now.

GWB on February 8, 2013 at 9:30 AM

If the Republicans could ever reduce the pool of money available to government from being endless (as it is now) to limited (balanced), issues like this would cause liberals to consume themselves. They would then have to decide between one useless and obsolete program or another, turn on each other, and subsequently have a melt down. A liberal “china syndrone”. Cut off the money and liberalism dies. Liberalism, required to stand on its own, is unsustainable.

newpine on February 8, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Since when do “prescription medications, …financial papers and other transactions” only get delivered on Saturdays? That is absurd! But if Saturday services are critical for some reason, eliminate Monday service instead.

This is nothing but overweight government union workers trying to save their cushy, overpaid jobs.

Colony14 on February 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Does anyone here really think the USPS budget will go down, no matter how much service they cut?

Really?

Watch.

runawayyyy on February 8, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Also they left out that the Post Office actually got a break, they got 10 years to fund their pension, whereas most private industry got 7 years due to a bill passed months earlier which was praised by the Democrats.

munseym on February 12, 2013 at 2:37 AM