Shooter chose conservative group to target from list of “hate groups” posted on SPLC website

posted at 9:06 pm on February 6, 2013 by Allahpundit

I have little to add to what you’ve read from Ace, John Sexton, R.S. McCain, Erick Erickson and others. We’re all thinking the same thing — see Twitchy for proof — and we’re all correct: Why yes, this is eerily similar to the left claiming after Gabby Giffords was shot that Palin’s “crosshairs” election map inspired Jared Loughner. With two differences. First, Loughner was not, in fact, inspired by Palin whereas this guy, per his own plea bargain, did consult the SPLC website in choosing people to kill. Second, you’ll see zero coverage of this inconvenient entry in the canon of political hate in wider media because it can’t be used as a blunt object with which to bludgeon the right. Sometimes facts that undermine the Greater Good need to be politely omitted. That’s what responsible journalism is all about.

Prosecutors say Corkins, who had been volunteering at a center for gay, lesbian and transgender people, was carrying ammunition and Chick-fil-A sandwiches in his bag. Chick-fil-A was making headlines at the time because of its president’s stated opposition to gay marriage.

Corkins intended to smear the sandwiches in the faces of his victims to make a statement about gay rights opponents, he acknowledged during a hearing Wednesday…

In his plea agreement, Corkins acknowledged he identified the [Family Research] Council as “an anti-gay organization” by visiting Southern Poverty’s website. The head of the Council, Tony Perkins, called on the group to stop labeling his organization and others hate groups because of their stance on gay issues. A spokeswoman for the Alabama-based Law Center did not immediately return a telephone message…

“He targeted us because we had been labeled a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which we think is very reckless,” [FRC employee Leo Johnson] says.

Absent a clear exhortation to violence, I don’t blame demagogues for what the most violent lunatics among their following derive from their demagoguery. That slope’s too slippery. The point here isn’t that the SPLC is to blame for what Corkins did, the point is that hysteria about incitement runs only one way in major media, with virtually no coherent explanation apart from raw partisan advantage. To believe (erroneously) that Palin’s map inspired Loughner but that the SPLC’s “hate map” didn’t inspire Corkins, you have to presume to read two incomprehensibly scrambled minds and conclude that the use of a symbol in a metaphorical context, rather than a blacklist devoted to shaming evil groups, is the tipping point for violent action. Why anyone would presume that, I don’t know; if we’re searching for catalysts to a rampage in a disturbed mind, there’s no obvious reason why demonizing someone by adding them to a “hate” list wouldn’t work just as well as, or better than, an electoral map that uses gun symbolism vis-a-vis defeating incumbents at the polls. Funny thing, though: The SPLC itself was verrrrry quick to try to tie Jared Loughner to the “far right”, and kept at it long enough that they were posting speculative pieces about “political rhetoric” and its role in the Tucson shooting as late as 13 days after it occurred. Not only are they comfortable with a free-speech slippery slope when it’s right-wingers who are at risk, they’re willing and eager to add some grease. They richly deserve the bad PR they’re getting today, even if they’re blameless in the shooting. If you doubt that, visit Reason’s extensive archive on SPLC nonsense.

Comments

Together We Thrive

right leftards?

tom daschle concerned on February 6, 2013 at 7:35 PM

“… even if they’re blameless in the shooting.”

I disagree…

… but that’s just me.

Seven Percent Solution on February 6, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Time to rethink the 1st amendment…right libs?

The Notorious G.O.P on February 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Some dude goes crazy, uses one of those high-capacity BBQ-sauce dispensers to cover a chicken burger, and then smears the sandwich on some innocent dude’s face.

Is that the kind of society we want?

Bishop on February 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM

IBSP (I blame Sarah Palin). /

tommy71 on February 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Has the SPLC been classified as a terrorist organization yet.

RickB on February 6, 2013 at 9:14 PM

SPLC is a hate group…

d1carter on February 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM

The SPLC is a very questionable action group that relies on slim and shaky evidence of political malfeasance.

onlineanalyst on February 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM

i guess we should be thankful for small favors huh Allah. putting “crosshairs” in parenthesis.

forget surveyors mark. ah well meme it shall be.

Crosshairs 2016

renalin on February 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Just as I suspected, one of the most brilliant comments I ever made here at HA. Gone. Thanks Allah. To add insult to injury, when I went back a page after you took it down it was gone, couldn’t copy it. It was breakthrough I tell you. /

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Keep in mind that the SPLC has labelled Malik Zulu Shabazz as a RADICAL RIGHT-WING EXTREMIST!

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

carrying ammunition and Chick-fil-A sandwiches in his bag.

Corkins intended to smear the sandwiches in the faces of his victims

High capacity bag of assault sandwiches.

Lost in Jersey on February 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

CBS News reports that Corkins told FBI agents he wanted to “kill as many as possible” to “make a statement against the people who work in that building … and with their stance against gay rights and Chick-fil-A.”

Gay men are murderous monsters that should be immediately thrown into a hole and covered?

Some people just don’t get that whole “make a statement” thing.

Axe on February 6, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Everyone dangerous is a “right wing” fanatic extremist. Where have you been, lying in a coma somewhere? Bigot.

Bishop on February 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

On equivalence. Off your point, but can we at least make a mental note that these guys are always left of center? That there is no right-left equivalence there?

Axe on February 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Bishop on February 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

lmao. It’s just so absurd that I don’t think even LoInFos believe that the leader of the NEW BLACK PANTHER PARTY is a “radical right-wing extremist.”

I tell ya, Huey Newton is rolling over in his grave. Calling the NBPP a bunch of “radical right-wing extremists” is about the worst insult that the SPLC could possibly hurl at the group.

:-)

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM

The point here isn’t that the SPLC is to blame for what Corkins did

I don’t know, AP. Gay-baiting, in this case via the 2010 SPLC false pronouncement of the FRC as a “hate group”, to me that IS the point.

This is a time for pause. Remember Al Sharpton, who was strongly linked to a race riot that got someone killed. I don’t recall the details but it was a close cause and effect. And how did that happen. Race-baiting.

Race-baiting and gay-baiting are the evils of our time. It’s easy to fight the last war, such as for Civil Rights, or to allow women in the workplace. But it’s hard to see and confront the evils of the day, which is the current zeitgeist saturated with race-baiting and gay-baiting.

In our morally retarded times, identifying some group as a hate group gives people permission to hate them. As in “treat others as they treat you”, not “treat others as you’d like to be treated”. Hate the hater. This was a clear invitation to “hate the hater”, and this guy took them up on it.

Besides, FRC is NOT a “hate group”. That’s what race-baiting and gay-baiting is all about. Falsely calling someone a hater. Bearing false witness. In this case, it led to attempted murder.

You might as well FALSELY tell your neighbor Joe that Bob just tried to rape his wife. When Joe goes after Bob and shoots him, who do you think is responsible?

Paul-Cincy on February 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM

That’s how Sketchbook was born. My work on P**** Riot was high art, I tell you. :)

Axe on February 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Sounds like someone should file a lawsuit against the SPLC.

GarandFan on February 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

More Prog hypocrisy:

Touré: The Ultimate ObamaFirster

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Morris Dees and the Southern Poverty Law Center are a noted #ChristianHate Group. They actively incite violence against peaceful groups and assisted with this act of terrorism.

Fat chance this will happen, but the DOJ under honest leadership would investigate. Actually the State Department should designate them as a Terrorist Group.

reddevil on February 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Now this takes the chicken sandwich to a new extreme.

A weapon of mass smearage.

Where oh where is the outrageously outrageous outrage?

I tell ya, what is the SPLC coming to?

As RickB so astutely said:

Has the SPLC been classified as a terrorist organization yet?

About fricking time they were.

This has Irked my Ire!!

Scrumpy on February 6, 2013 at 9:28 PM

…I hate the fluken media!

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

My ORIGINAL comment on this was:
And yet the left continues to blame Palin for Loughner’s actions.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Bishop on February 6, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I’m sure the SPLC will even try to find a way to paint Corkins as a “right-wing extremist.” Because he so obviously is. He shot someone with a gun, after all.

steebo77 on February 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM

SPLC was like an assault weapon: They didn’t make Corkins crazy, but they were his enabler, giving him an outlet for his crazy hate. Corkin pulled the trigger, but SPLC aimed him.

Isn’t that how it works in the age of Obama?

Socratease on February 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Axe on February 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Lol! Allah was very quick once he saw what he had done. Each thread had 1 comment. I went to the top one, it looked more interesting. Just as I hit submit, *poof*, couldn’t even collect it from turning back one page. Just *poof*. Some of my finest work ever.

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Say alt, you didn’t happen to see mine and remember it by chance did ya?

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I know some extremists and I can prove it! And a Canadian said it no less, there are a certain breed of Americans, that should not be allowed out, you know because they are extreme!

“Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings, I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it were some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshipping their Commandant almost as if he were a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They’ll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest sons of bitches I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man’s normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and, generally speaking, the United States Marines I’ve come in contact with are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have ever had the pleasure to meet.”

MarshFox on February 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Isn’t that how it works in the age of Obama?
Socratease on February 6, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Yep, that’s how IT IS gonna work!

Scrumpy on February 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Touré: The Ultimate ObamaFirster

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Have got to get these eyes checked. I can’t even mention to you what I thought this comment said when I fist glanced at it.

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Irked my Ire! Classic. ;-)

tommy71 on February 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

fist=first

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

‘fraid not.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM

that Palin’s “crosshairs” election map inspired

Easy blogging. The dog whistle has gone out and a certain colored fish will appear and this post will hit 500+ comments by midnight.

conservative pilgrim on February 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM

‘fraid not.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Too bad, it was good, real good. ; )

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I can! ;-) Made ME look twice sheesh…

Scrumpy on February 6, 2013 at 9:36 PM

B and his iPad thingy. Sigh…..

tommy71 on February 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

LOL — Crap like that is why your comments get eaten.

Axe on February 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM

tommy71 on February 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

It is, and it’s MINE!!!! Bwahhhhhahahah!

Scrumpy on February 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Let me guess: Your eyes dropped the “R.”

He’s that, too.

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM

The history of the SPLC is notable. It’s been proven that it is strictly a business, and corrupt in that regard.

If you are unfamiliar with SPLC, I would suggest it be your daily info find.

John Kettlewell on February 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM

…why isn’t there a lawsuit?

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Lol! ; )

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Hmm……all the usual suspects. Wonder what they’re waiting for…..

tommy71 on February 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM

You are sooooo bad and I loves ya :-)

Rock On Lady!!

Scrumpy on February 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Scrumpy on February 6, 2013 at 9:42 PM

You, too! :-)

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Axe on February 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Well, it was Toure’ after all.

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:43 PM

tommy71 on February 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I have no idea, isn’t this it? I’m still working between comments.

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM

This just makes that security guard even more of an hero. This is a Grade A certifiable whacko.

Oh I went on the SPLC’s site to look at the “hate map”. Strange. Liberals are strange.

gophergirl on February 6, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Whack-A-Doodles are everywhere…….and in every organization.

but……

PappyD61 on February 6, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Lets see. B overate (always digs into his fridge), overdosed on his medication, thinks theres a problem with his eyes, dropped a R, and has a iPad thingy problem. Am I right so far? ;-)

tommy71 on February 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Correction.

Lets see. B overate (always digs into his fridge), overdosed on his medication, thinks there’s a problem with his eyes, dropped the r, and has a iPad thingy problem. Am I right so far? ;-)

tommy71 on February 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Close.

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Don’t use meds. Well as seldom as possible anyhow. Not a big fan of better health through chemistry.

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Can’t hang this crazy guy’s plea on the SPLC. However…

The Southern Poverty Law Center.

- Not Southern, Not about Poverty, and Not concerned with the Law.

The ACLU

- Anti-American and not interested in Civil Liberties.

The Democratic People’s Republic of North Korea…

- Hmmmm….

The German Democratic Republic…

- Hmmmm…

Leftists have a way with words.

CorporatePiggy on February 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM

You mean there was an R?
I missed it too.

soundingboard on February 6, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I think we need to license activist groups to try to get control of the danger and reduce the chance of violence. $500,000 and no ability to engage in political speech without a bonded position with an activist group. If it saves just one life we must control misuse of the first amendment.

harlekwin15 on February 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I just want to thank AP for his well stated analysis.

thuja on February 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I wonder if Little Green Footballs Is a front for the SPLC? I went there the other day just out of curiosity and it was full of the same kind of hateful posts you see in the SPLC publications. a coworker of mine gets their magazines and they are extremely radical.

scalleywag on February 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM

You mean there was an R?
I missed it too.

soundingboard on February 6, 2013 at 10:00 PM

lol

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 10:20 PM

ObamaFirster Touré Goes Full ‘Tard

He’s the Commander in Chief. RT @kirstenpowers10: You are fine w the White House deciding who is guilty and who should die?”

— Touré (@Toure) 5 February 2013

Frighteningly ignorant.

Resist We Much on February 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

At least this black on white hate crime got a little MSM coverage, unlike the hate crime of Nkosi Thandiwe who shot three women because they were white and needed to answer for slavery.

Chessplayer on February 6, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Bmore on February 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

My personal suspicion is that even aspirin has side effects.

In any event repost your old healthcare rant if you have it. That was epic.

wolfsDad on February 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Here’s liberals actually causing a liberal to do what liberals claimed Palin and the Tea Party did when a liberal did that too.

Speakup on February 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM

And, don’t forget that the Daily Kos put the crosshairs on Gabby
long before Sarah did.

theo22 on February 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I hate the media.

Cindy Munford on February 7, 2013 at 12:50 AM

You know what America needs, is an ad campaign reminding Americans it’s OK to disagree. Reminding Americans it’s OK to have different opinions. That is what our nation was built on. Freedom of speech, freedom to worship, freedom to assemble. These principles have been forgotten.

JellyToast on February 7, 2013 at 6:19 AM

It’s *one thing* for A-P to be accused of RINO-ish statements…

It’s fully another for A-P to legitimize the hysterical, utterly manufactured
“blame-Palin-for-Loughner-on-Giffords” garbage

by placing it on equal grounds with an
openly admitted, legally-binding admission by the defendant/criminal.

Moral Relativism, please welcome Allahpundit into your Dark Side.

Czar of Defenestration on February 7, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Its only a hate crime if its a liberal as the target. Right??

TX-96 on February 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM

I’m amazed that not none of our fave anti-violence, anti-gun, anti-homophobe, anti-racist trolls haven’t rushed in to condemn Corkin’s hate and who/what motivated him. /

Liam on February 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM

‘Hate Crime’? Naahhhh – they targeted a CONSERVATIVE group. If it would have been a liberal/Progressive group then the answer would be ‘Yes’!

So, how does that ‘register with the govt’ thing look now. Bad things happen when people who oppose guns in the 1st place insist others who do own guns register with THEM (those who are against guns)…

easyt65 on February 7, 2013 at 8:08 AM

easyt65 on February 7, 2013 at 8:08 AM

We should stop using the term ‘illegal guns’ and call them ‘undocumented’ instead.

Liam on February 7, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Hell, NO! SPLC is NOT blameless in the shooting.

The Nazis used propaganda first against the Jews, inciting people against them, before moving on to more direct means of elimination. That is what the SPLC is doing. (I don’t know if the SPLC wants to kill conservatives, but they do at least want them excluded from society.)

WannabeAnglican on February 7, 2013 at 8:12 AM

…and I bet this liberal lunatic voted for Obama…
……you know…the guy who was against gay marriage for the same reason the head of Chick-Fil-A is until he needed more Hollywood money and votes during his re-election campaign.

Baxter Greene on February 7, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I just want to thank AP for his well stated analysis I don’t know what it was but do you really have to thank him for it.

thuja on February 6, 2013 at 10:07 PM