Video: And the Super Bowl winner was …

posted at 8:01 am on February 4, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Oh, not the football game, which went down as one of the strangest Super Bowls ever, and which the Baltimore Ravens barely hung on to win, 34-31.  No, we’re talking about the advertising game, as companies competed for the hearts and minds of consumers everywhere.  By acclamation — at least on my twitter feed — the winning ad came from Dodge and the late Paul Harvey, whose long-ago sermon heralding farmers as God’s steward of the land and of values touched the hearts of nearly everyone:

This ad got more than 329,000 views overnight — not bad for a car ad.  The worst ad, in my opinion, came from (no surprise) GoDaddy, which turned a funny concept into a rather disgusting presentation.  Having Bar Rafaeli make out with a geek to argue that the Internet service is both hot and solid was a pretty funny concept.  Its execution, complete with close-up and enhanced audio, produced more gag response than gag.  Note to admakers: There’s a reason why filmmakers add music to these scenes in movies.

If Dodge was the good and GoDaddy the bad, then the power outage in the Superdome was the ugly.  Half of the lights when out shortly after the second half started, which had the effect of cooling off the Ravens and allowing the 49ers to regain their poise.  Whether that was a good or bad thing depended on which team one was rooting for, but all sides could take some pleasure in the fact that the power outage cut Phil Simms’ mike in the middle of another Captain Obvious explanation.

A few viewers attempted to post video of the outage on YouTube, but the NFL rushed to claim copyright infringement.  CNN used photos to report on it:

No one is still quite sure what happened:

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu promised answers.

“In the coming days, I expect a full after action report from all parties involved.”
The power company said it wasn’t to blame, and stadium officials apologized but said little else until well after the game.

And then, in a statement hours later, Superdome officials said a piece of equipment designed to monitor the electrical load “sensed an abnormality in the system.”

“Once the issue was detected, the sensing equipment operated as designed and opened a breaker, causing power to be partially cut to the Superdome in order to isolate the issue,” the statement said.

It still isn’t clear what the “abnormality” was — but more than a few people had their own suspicions.

The only thing that’s sure is that we nearly saw the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history, but it fell five yards short.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Idea totally ripped off from

“Farmers Tribute: So God Made A Farmer. Paul Harvey”

Uploaded on youtube on June 1, 2011

adplusone on February 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Totally agree
Farmer yes
Go daddy yuck

cmsinaz on February 4, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I gotta admit it I thought it was kind of odd when I realized that Dodge was using Paul Harvey. It’s a good ad but Harvey was such a radio icon his familiar voice this many years after his death was kinda creepy.

I’ll agree that GoDaddy had the most disgusting and pointless ad.

But the real controversy IMO was that Marta beat out Biscuit for MVP in the PuppyBowl. Clearly the refs were biased.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM

So a frufru Italian car company makes an ad about giant corporations mass producing food and I am supposed to feel all warm and American about it. No thanks.

traye on February 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM

An ad supporting traditional values on prime TV? Wow. Bravo, Ram!

petefrt on February 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Id

ea totally ripped off from

“Farmers Tribute: So God Made A Farmer. Paul Harvey”

Uploaded on youtube on June 1, 2011

adplusone on February 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Yeah because advertisements never ever “rip off” ideas.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Good thing the superdome was not full of thier own when the lights went out.

They’d have ripped out the plumbing, stolen anything not bolted down and used the place as a giant toilet like they did a couple of years back.

acyl72 on February 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Companies really think smut sells

The slippery slope

cmsinaz on February 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM

An ad supporting traditional values on prime TV? Wow. Bravo, Ram!

petefrt on February 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM

It counteracts the “We’re coming for your guns” propaganda that also spilled across the airwaves. Just as disgusting as GoDaddy but in a different way.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Does everybody feel “whole again” today? FIAT says we should.

forest on February 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Tending to God’s country,Amen!

Excellent Ad!

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Companies really think smut sells

The slippery slope

cmsinaz on February 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM

It actually does, whether we like it or not.

john1schn on February 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM

acyl72 on February 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM

Um…. That was seven years ago.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Cue the Hugo Montenegro “Man With No Name” theme music!

Wooooooooeeeeeeeeeeewooooooo!

Wah! Wah Wah!

pilamaye on February 4, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I think the last Dodge I ever remember in the family barn was a 63 wagon. It was turned into a Ford after the transmission fell out of it on the interstate. Fiat is welcome to make all the Dodges they want.

Limerick on February 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM

How does an ad like that GoDaddy thing even make it out of a boardroom, much less past a test audience?

sharrukin on February 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Does everybody feel “whole again” today? FIAT says we should.

forest on February 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM

It was Jeep, narrated by Oprah, and almost as big a propaganda piece as Bloombergs “We’re going to take your guns” propaganda. On the surface it was okay but the underlying idea is that the nation is no longer engaged in combat- all peace and prosperity- and that simply isn’t the case. It is the rat-eared wonder’s supporters trying to rewrite the narrative even as we still have Americans being killed in Afghanistan.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM

No real outstanding ads. For the past few years it’s been Meh.

Oil Can on February 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM

That Go Daddy ad is going to go down as the absolutely most guaranteed to make you cringe into your seat and beg for it to end commercial of all time!

It is my sincerest hope that every copy of it be confiscated and erased and that it never be allowed to see the light of day again!

They should also offer therapy for anyone who actually saw it!

pilamaye on February 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM

sharrukin on February 4, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I’m convinced that the guy in the CareerBuilder Superbowl ads (the one where he’s working with monkeys) is actually working for the executive board at GoDaddy.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM

An ad supporting traditional values on prime TV? Wow. Bravo, Ram!

petefrt on February 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM

While the CEO of GM, Obama, does everything he can to destroy farmers.

JellyToast on February 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM

*sigh *
John

cmsinaz on February 4, 2013 at 8:20 AM

An ad supporting traditional values on prime TV? Wow. Bravo, Ram!

petefrt on February 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM

I wasn’t really watching the game (Broncos fan) but clicked to check the score and saw that ad and it was AWEsome. You hardly knew what they were advertising. It was very well done, a tribute to the great Paul Harvey. I miss that guy.

scalleywag on February 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM

You are a talented writer, Ed.

Islamofascists somehow cut the stadium’s power.
That’s my theory & I’m sticking to it.

itsnotaboutme on February 4, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I finally have seen the Go daddy ad,like now…………ick!

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM

That might explain it but I would think even monkeys could see the obvious.

sharrukin on February 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM

Buying anything from the Chrysler group makes about a much sense as driving through a car wash in a convertible with the top down.

They have always been the “me too” company. And now they are trying to wrap themselves in the American flag after having a chunk bit out of them by Fiat, the “me too” company of Europe.

Gatsu on February 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Bar Rafaeli is smokin’ hot, what the hell was DiCaprio thinking by splitting up with HER? But when the sound effects started I quickly changed the channel for the benefit of my little tots in the room.

Best commercial: Oreos. The woman breaking the chair over the dude and the cop whispering into his bullhorn “We’re the cops and you have to listen to us!” made me guffaw.

Bishop on February 4, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Come on, folks, if it was Sheldon and Penny in those chairs you’d change your vote.

Limerick on February 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Where was the stripper pole at the halftime show?

docflash on February 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Am I the only one here who did not watch the Superbowl?

Naturally Curly on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Spike Lee and Jesse Jackson were heard to blame Bush, citing he blew up the power leads into the Superdome .

catmman on February 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

I didn’t watch all the commercials…you gotta have a smoke some time. My faves of the ones I saw: Doritos Goat, Racist Jamaican VW guy, Deion Sanders as Leon Sandcastle

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Am I the only one here who did not watch the Superbowl?

Naturally Curly on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I’m sure there were many of your fellow communists who didn’t watch it either.

-_-

Bishop on February 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Where was the stripper pole at the halftime show?

docflash on February 4, 2013 at 8:27 AM

That’s for next year………..when Miley Cyrus does the halftime show!

pilamaye on February 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Hmmm…….

The Hill ‏@thehill

First lady ‘proud’ of @Beyonce #SuperBowl #halftime performance http://j.mp/URGzI4 by @JTSTheHill
====================================

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Actually, it is my hope that last night, a lot of young people who, up until they aired that commercial, never even heard of Paul Harvey were captivated enough to want to go out on the web and hear more of what this truly gifted communicator had to say.

pilamaye on February 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

The best part for me is all my runts are walking around saying “Da Gopha State, mon!”

Nothing funnier than a 6 year old doing it either, in her little pipsqueak chickadee voice.

Bishop on February 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM

How many people did Ray Lewis stab when the lights went out?

catmman on February 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Am I the only one here who did not watch the Superbowl?

Naturally Curly on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I didn’t either comrade.. :)

Electrongod on February 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I expect a full after action report from all parties involved

Team 6 strikes again? Whoa.

CorporatePiggy on February 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Woo..
Thank Goodness for that..

Electrongod on February 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Companies really think smut sells

The slippery slope

cmsinaz on February 4, 2013 at 8:09 AM

cmsinaz:Lol,on the slippery part!:)

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Am I the only one here who did not watch the Superbowl?

Naturally Curly on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Naturally Curly:)

Ahem,YES I missed it,I plan to flogg myself at the appropriate time!
(snark)

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Am I the only one here who did not watch the Superbowl?

Naturally Curly on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I saw bits and pieces of it. Mostly I watched Downton Abbey! So I guess that makes me a communist too hahah.

scalleywag on February 4, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Bishop on February 4, 2013 at 8:34 AM

haha

kids are awesome

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I’m with NC and Eg. ;-)

tommy71 on February 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Woo..
Thank Goodness for that..

Electrongod on February 4, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Electrongod:I’m not going to guess FLOTUS’s mindset,
but I bet,it has “Our People”,in her mind
-set!:)

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM

I thought the game was boring and the singing at Half Time sucked along with the commercials. Spent most of my time planning the garden for this year and tending to my indoor seedlings.

Really excited about my purple tomatoes – already good performers.

antisense on February 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM

That’s for next year………..when Miley Cyrus does the halftime show!

pilamaye on February 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Maybe perform a duet…and then sing a song together.

Even my girls were bored by “Mitches!” halftime show, they were saying it’s like everything else she’s ever done, and they said that as girls who like the woman’s muzak.

Bishop on February 4, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Power outage was totally Sparks fault. The kerfuffle and all that. ;-)

tommy71 on February 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Gag — I thought that ad was awful, cynical schlock. It was a friggin’ truck ad. It’s annoying enough that big agribusiness lobbies for government benefits by exploiting our emotional attachment to a familiy farm ideal that for the most part no longer exists, do pickup truck manufacturers have to do it, too? Thumbs down.

Chuckles3 on February 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM

First lady ‘proud’ of @Beyonce #SuperBowl #halftime performance

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Why? Was she the choreographer or something?

CTSherman on February 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Did they play the gun-grabber commericial? I must have missed it.

The farmer commercial was the best.

gophergirl on February 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I was very careful not to click on that channel at half time lest I catch a glimpse of the lip syncing “Mitches” and have to bleach my eyeballs. If you put in a google search for lip syncing this popped up http://now.msn.com/shaq-lip-syncs-to-beyonces-super-bowl-halftime-show

scalleywag on February 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I don’t know about you, but I thought the Tide commercial (Montanaland) was the best. You started to wonder where it was going and then bam, the punchline.

JeffWeimer on February 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

This ad got more than 329,000 views overnight — not bad for a car ad…

Um, wasn’t that a truck ad, Ed? j/k

Worst part of the ad was the truck pitch at the end. They should have just let it be a tribute to farmers. No, I don’t understand how marketing works. Why’d you ask?

Fallon on February 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Hmmm…….

The Hill ‏@thehill

====================================

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

It was quite a performance. I don’t know if I would use the word “proud” though.

gophergirl on February 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM

The pistachio ad with PSY with just awful. Somebody on the marketing team at …. Pistachio Corp… should probably be looking for a new job today. As well as whoever green-lighted the company to spend several million bucks to get that aired during the game.

Jeddite on February 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM

The farmer ad was a little outdated. They forgot the part where the farmer lays his traditional values down in exchange for a bigger ethanol mandate from big daddy government. And I suppose you could fit wind in there just as easily.

Free Indeed on February 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Animated gif of the lights going out:

JetBoy on February 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I’m sure the “full after action report” will conclude that George W. Bush was to blame for the power outage.

loudmouth883 on February 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Chuckles3 on February 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM

word

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM

ABCnews feed scripts always screw up my computer here. I don’t know why but I get very tired of dismissing 14 screens of error messages at each refresh. Grrrr… No more posting for me on this one.

Fallon on February 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

That Jeep add made me cry, only because my son is in Afghanistan. It was a good propaganda piece.

I thought Beyonce (or however you spell her name) was slutty and it was totally inappropriate for family viewing.

Beaglemom on February 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I accuse myself of watching Auntie Mame on TCM until it was time for Downton Abbey. I accuse myself of not even knowing what channel was broadcasting the Superbowl.

Naturally Curly on February 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Yahoo News says the Go Daddy Kiss ad objectified women. No more than Obama’s “vote for your lady parts” campaign

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM

loudmouth883 on February 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM

And then Nancy Pelosi will demand a full Congressional investigation be launched, as the outage is obviously what led to the defeat of her hometown team!

pilamaye on February 4, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Beaglemom on February 4, 2013 at 8:54 AM

there were (unfortunately) no wardrobe malfunctions.

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Did they play the gun-grabber commericial? I must have missed it.

gophergirl on February 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Oh! They played it all right. It had all the subtlety of a baseball bat across the face. Even more disgusting than the dancing whores that constituted the half-time show. They missed a great naming rights thing when the didn’t declare it the Victoria’s Secret halftime event.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Paul Harvey was the best. The only thing he would have liked better about that commercial is if someone could have found a way to splice in, along with a good seque, a commercial within the commercial for FTD or Bissell vacuums or some such.

HarneyPeak on February 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM

there were (unfortunately) no wardrobe malfunctions.

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Wouldn’t you actually need a wardrobe for that to be a problem. It’s as if the truck carrying the wardrobe didn’t make it so they decided to go on wearing their underwear. I much preferred it when the half-time shows were tacky and patriotic than these last few years where they just get some singer up on a stage to gyrate and lip-synch to their latest album.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I liked the farmer ad, but the M&M spot early on was pretty good, too. The vast majority of the commercials, however, were horrible, ESPECIALLY that GoDaddy one. The close-up, the noise…just awful.

changer1701 on February 4, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Dittos

God made a farmer ad was superb.
Bar Rafeli kissing that dude was disgusting, a waste of time just like Go Daddy.

ted c on February 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Not to mention the way it objectified “geeks” as fat and short acne-afflicted social misfits. I wonder what the reaction would have been if the guy was the attractive one and the girl was wearing the pocket protector.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Why would FLOTUS be proud of a halftime show? Does she think Beyonce is her kid or something? Bizarre for her to even be commenting on something like that, but since she did wonder if she thought it was appropriate for her daughters to watch.

changer1701 on February 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM

whoever is the head of the GoDaddy organization has got to be a person of unredeeming qualities. To approve of that ad was simply bottom feeding.

ted c on February 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM

ted c on February 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

What exactly does GoDaddy do other than produce offensive Superbowl ads? Because the only time you hear about them is in January when they’ve topped the previous year’s tribute to the low-information citizen.

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

My life. Not the plowing part or the pigs or chickens.
But pretty much the rest.
Holding dying calves in your arms in the kitchen, even trying to help it breathe with your own breath.
Blood pouring over your arms from a C-section cow with a twisted up calf inside her, watching her die as you helplessly try to sew her up.
You’re not strong enough bcs you’re a woman, worn out bcs you’re getting to be an old man, but still heaving the feedsacks over your shoulder for the heifers in the pen.
Out in the -30+ weather with the wind howling, feeding hay, checking on newborn calves, praying they’re alive.
On your horse in the same weather trying to bring a cow in who’s having calving trouble.
Feeding the steers in the pen & getting attached, knowing you’re going to eat them. Keeping your distance emotionally, yet loving them just the same.
I’ve seen it all & will see even more before I die.
This commercial was real to me.
We love our animals. We love our land.
And yet, there are those who dare say the opposite of us.
Who have never walked in our boots.

Badger40 on February 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Have to agree with the farmer skeptics.

While I loved the sentiments expressed, the plain fact of the matter is that government policies and over-regulation have made the prospects of a small farmer practically impossible.

Should have spliced in a short plug for Joel Salatin’s book “Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal.”

Cleombrotus on February 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Am I the only one here who did not watch the Superbowl?

Naturally Curly on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I didn’t either. Don’t watch the double murderer. I am a huge NFL and NCAA football fan, but never watch any games of his games.

Brat on February 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM

That was more a Paul Harvey tribute than a Dodge ad. Effective, well done. At least some marketing skills still exist.

TerryW on February 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Did they play the gun-grabber commericial? I must have missed it.

gophergirl on February 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Yep, it portrayed a bunch of overweight, grinning, caucasian dudes gunning down running school children and ended with the tagline “Outlaw guns, outlaw whitey”.

Not really but I was expecting it.

Bishop on February 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Why would FLOTUS be proud of a halftime show?

changer1701 on February 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM

My reaction too. It’s gotta tell you something about her mindset. I’m not sure exactly what it says about her, but I’ll bet it’s not good.

petefrt on February 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Badger40 on February 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

+100

petefrt on February 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Am I the only one here who did not watch the Superbowl?

Naturally Curly on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

We didn’t either. I hate football & most other sports. I have better things to do.

Regarding this commercial, it doesn’t make me want to go buy a Dodge pickup. They are $hit.
A lot of people we know who ranch have had Dodges. Some like ‘em, others don’t.
I will say the Ford pickup is a workhorse & will take an extreme beating & continue to move. It may require repair, but most of them are great.
We have a bale bed on our dually. I love feeding cows with it.
The pickup’s an effing lemon tho.
But I blame the Govt for all the EPA BS crap they put on manufacturers.
All these damned filters & crap. Nothing runs right anymore.
It is amazing that Big Ag uses the family farmer in ads, and yet is responsible for helping kill us.
The Federal Govt makes it happen by picking the winners & losers in Ag.
It’s a depressing life sometimes.
But I guess the lifestyle is worth it.
I’m anxious for spring & new baby calves.

Badger40 on February 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Why? Was she the choreographer or something?

CTSherman on February 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM

CTSherman:Probably Beyonces,sculpted Biceps/Triceps!:)

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Sec of State Kerry……………..LIVE NOW!

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 8:33 AM

changer1701 on February 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM

changer1701:I have no idea,I haven’t seen the Beyonce Video,but I’m
thinking Big Nanny!:)

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM

He hasn’t even been dead for 4 years yet (February 28, 2009). Plenty of folks still remember him.

Del Dolemonte on February 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM

petefrt on February 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I’m not sure, either. I don’t understand what there is to be proud of…the fact a performer, er, performed? It’s not like she’s Beyonce’s mom, or had anything else to do with it. Guess as a fellow vapid celeb she felt a certain kinship, I don’t know.

changer1701 on February 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Happy Nomad on February 4, 2013 at 8:07 AM

No way. Marta was the MVP. She went up against puppies twice her size. Now, last year’s MVP is a controversy.

Mediocre Bowl. A few good ads, many lame. The game was not all that inspiring.

rbj on February 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Badger40 on February 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

You have true grit, Badger.

Naturally Curly on February 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM

First of all, the game was a dud. In the first half, the 49ers were lousy and the Ravens lucky. In the second half we had Lightgate and then the 49ers came back, only to watch their dream end with a bad non-call by the officials.

As for the commercials, the best was the Clysdale and trainer spot by Budweiser. The farmer spot was stupid because it was a commercial for a truck. Everyone in the room said, “it’s a commercial for a truck?”

fight like a girl on February 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Beyoncé was so bootylicious that she knocked the power out at the #SuperBowl’: Celebs pay tribute to singer’s electrifying half time show on Twitter

PUBLISHED: 09:23 GMT,4 February 2013
UPDATED: 13:49 GMT, 4 February 2013
************************************
************************************

More than 5.5million tweets were sent during Beyoncé’s halftime show at the Super Bowl XLVII on Sunday night.

The 31-year-old singer’s performance attracted high praise from stars of the screen and stage who posted their rave reviews to Twitter.

Many of Beyoncé’s famous joked that the power outage experienced in the second half of the game at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, was in fact down to the singer’s electrifying performance.

The Single Ladies singer’s husband Jay Z simply posted: ‘Lights out!!! Any questions??’

Meanwhile Charles Kelley of Lady Antebellum tweeted: ‘@beyonce was so bootylicious that she knocked the power out at the #SuperBowl.ck’

Kirstie Allie added: ‘Think Beyonce show used too many volts? #blackout.’

Fans were delighted to see Destiny’s child reunited after Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland popped up on stage mid way through the set and performed some of the band’s hit tracks including Bootylicious and Bey’s own track Single Ladies.

Kim Kardashian, who has spent time with the singer in recent months thanks to her relationship with Kanye West, posted: ‘OMG Beyonce killed it!!! And when Destiny’s Child came out…that made my life! #Bootylicious.’

More…….with FLOTUS Tweet
=============================

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Super Bowl and halftime show generate 24.1 million tweets; volume of tweets surpasses last year’s total – @twitter

•3 mins agofrom blog.twitter.com by editor

canopfor on February 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Jeddite on February 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM

It would have been a decent ad… back in July. Timing is everything.

Myron Falwell on February 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Have to say that watching that GoDaddy ad on an 80-inch TV at my friends’ house was just……eeeewwwwwwwwwww

Our favorite was the pistachio nuts ad with Psy. Even if you’re sick of the song, the ad was hilarious. Also the VW ad was hysterical, nobody understood why anyone would call it racist. Hard for them to top their Darth Vader-kid ad though.

rockmom on February 4, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Am I the only one here who did not watch the Superbowl?

[Naturally Curly on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM]

Nope. A few of us were stuck listening to some of it ’cause they wouldn’t turn the sound down, but the party broke up about half-time and I went home and did other things.

This is one of the things I hate about TV. If you let someone turn it on at a party, people gravitate to the TV room and friendly conversation either turns to what’s on TV or the people there go zombie.

It’s especially bad if the TV is turned to sports because the that’s a conversation program, but that gets loud so the volume needs to be turned up and the vicious circle that results overwhelms the dining room and kitchen conversation. I used to flip the breaker on my TV circuit when I’m hosting the party, but now I have only one small TV in the bedroom and that hasn’t been on in over two years.

Dusty on February 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM