Quotes of the day

posted at 10:21 pm on February 4, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

photo Screenshot2013-02-04at94507PM_zps44591a81.png

***

With his gun proposals dividing Congress, President Barack Obama took his case for universal background checks and for banning some military-style weapons to the upper Midwest on Monday, looking to build public support for his measures and to apply pressure on lawmakers.

Obama argued that there’s bipartisan support for a system to undertake criminal checks on gun buyers and for gun trafficking laws but, acknowledging the political challenges he faces, would only say that the assault weapons ban deserves a vote in Congress.

‘‘We don’t have to agree on everything to agree it’s time to do something,’’ he said. …

‘‘Changing the status quo is never easy,’’ Obama said. ‘‘This will be no exception. The only way we can reduce gun violence in this county is if it the American people decide it’s important, if you decide it’s important — parents and teachers, police officers and pastors, hunters and sportsmen, Americans of every background stand up and say, ‘This time, it’s got to be different.’’’

***

Senate Democratic leaders expect a gun bill to move to the Senate floor that includes most of the proposals backed by President Barack Obama, with the notable exception of a ban on military-style, semiautomatic weapons, a top aide to Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said. …

The details provide the first snapshot of how Senate Democrats plan to move forward on major gun legislation in coming weeks.

But the strategy outline also reflects a growing sense within Democratic ranks that some of the president’s most ambitious goals—particularly the call for new bans on certain types of military-style guns often described as assault weapons—may be unrealistic, the Reid aide said.

The goal is to get the bill to the Senate floor next month, at which point lawmakers could then seek to amend the legislation by adding a ban on certain semiautomatic weapons or other provisions, the aide said.

***

REID: George, I’ve been supported by the NRA on occasion. I know Wayne LaPierre. He’s always been extremely pleasant to me. We have a good relationship. So I — I am not here to demean the organization.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But they are resisting almost everything you’ve talked about and we’ve talked about here, everything the president has called for.

REID: George, just because they resist it doesn’t mean we can’t do things. I mean, we have a lot of special interest groups that come and complain about things, and we don’t listen to them. We’ll listen to them and make the right decision.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But will you commit to getting something done?

REID: Yes, I definitely want to do something with immigration for sure, and I want to get something done on guns.

***

David Axelrod suggested on Morning Joe that Chicago’s high rate of gun crime can be blamed on the fact that “surrounding areas” have lax gun laws. What is true here is that the guns used in Chicago crimes come from outside of Chicago, because they “don’t have gun stores in Chicago.” Many crime guns are purchased just outside the city limits, though more than half come from other states.

However, Illinois as a whole is fairly strict when it comes to guns — all gun owners must have a license, and it’s the only state in the nation that doesn’t allow concealed carry by private citizens under any circumstances. (This will change if Richard Posner’s recent ruling holds up.) I’m not sure how much stricter a state could be without running afoul of the Second Amendment. And the communities these guns come from typically have much lower crime rates than Chicago does. …

Frankly, I don’t think gun control has much to do with Chicago’s murder problem. It seems to be mostly gang-related, which means that (A) any guns that can’t be bought legally will be bought illegally and (B) arming the law-abiding won’t make much difference either, because the violence is taking place between criminals. We still should arm the law-abiding, so that they may defend themselves against burglaries and the like, but they are rarely the victims of gang murders.

***

Most New Yorkers support a stringent new state law that tackles gun control, a poll out Monday showed.

According to a survey from Siena Research Institute, 65 percent of those polled back the measure, which was passed last month in the wake of the December shooting massacre in Newtown, Conn. Thirty percent are opposed. …

The legislation, the toughest in the country, took steps including banning certain kinds of military-style weapons, reducing the ammunition quantities weapons can hold and requiring background checks to purchase bullets.

***

The Arkansas House of Representatives approved a bill on Monday to allow concealed-carry permit holders to take their weapons into churches, and it is expected to be signed into law by the state’s governor.

The Church Protection Act would allow individual places of worship to decide whether to allow concealed handguns and who could carry them. The Republican-controlled House passed the bill 85-8 with bipartisan support. The measure previously passed the Republican-controlled Senate 28-4.

Arkansas joins a handful of other states, including South Carolina, Wyoming and Louisiana, that allow guns in churches, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

***

If Idahoans, like Americans in many states, have rushed to buy guns out of fear for personal safety in the aftermath of recent mass shootings, or out of fear of tighter legal controls, then democracy has already spoken, many lawmakers said. People have voted with their pocketbooks.

“Enable them to do what they believe is right,” said State Senator Marv Hagedorn, a Republican who was designated to be his chamber’s point man on proposed gun legislation in the session that began in January, describing what he sees as his mandate. “There’s a huge call to all of us to protect the Second Amendment rights.”

Every level of government in every state is, without question, looking more closely at issues of public safety since the slaughter in Newtown, Conn., of 20 children and 6 adults in an elementary school in December. But in deeply conservative states like Idaho, where President Obama got less than 33 percent of the vote in November — one of his worst showings in the nation — the discussion of school safety is occurring behind a kind of Chinese wall, separate from the question of whether certain types of guns or high-capacity magazines are to blame. …

The Idaho Department of Education has also been meeting to talk through the new terrain of school safety, even as some districts have said that they may move ahead on their own in allowing teachers and administrators to be openly armed, as Idaho law already permits.

***

According to multiple studies summarized by the Treatment Advocacy Center, these untreated mentally ill are responsible for 10% of all homicides (and a higher percentage of the mass killings), constitute 20% of jail and prison inmates and at least 30% of the homeless. Severely mentally ill individuals now inundate hospital emergency rooms and have colonized libraries, parks, train stations and other public spaces. The quality of the lives of these individuals mocks the lofty intentions of the founders of the CMHC program.

Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of this 50-year federal experiment is its inordinate cost. In 2009, 4.7 million Americans received SSI or SSDI because of mental illnesses, not including mental retardation, a tenfold increase since 1977. The total cost was $46 billion. The total Medicaid and Medicare costs for mentally ill individuals in 2005 was more than $60 billion. …

Nor is President Obama likely to do anything, since his lead agency, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, has essentially denied that a problem exists. Its contribution to the president’s response to the Dec. 14 Newtown tragedy focused only on school children and insurance coverage. And its current plan of action for 2011-14, a 41,000-word document, includes no mention of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or outpatient commitment, all essential elements in an effective plan for corrective action.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Why does Obama always stand with cops in the background when trying to take away civilian gun rights? It’s exactly what I’m afraid of – an armed government and unarmed law abiding citizens. What could go wrong?

HellCat on February 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Whoooooooooooo!!!!!

Rusty Allen on February 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Jackie: Ken escorted me thru the Glade…

All is well!

I believe you can signal Sparky to return, saw no subversives lurking…

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Whoooooooooooo!!!!!

Rusty Allen on February 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Ick test came back negative?

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Do you make yours with flat noodles too?

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM

So… Are You In The Mood ?

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM

This blather from a man who if he had an Indian name, it would be “Shoots Like a Girl.”

TXUS on February 5, 2013 at 12:13 AM

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Nah, just happy to be alive.

Rusty Allen on February 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM

SW, somehow, I don’t trust Rand. His pappy is one reason. Too much red meat to the base and an iffy foreign policy makes me feel like hes playing us for dupes. Trying to carry the base and the Ronulans. Walking a thin line right there. And once in power, he’ll revert to being a Ronulan. Don’t know why I think this way. Maybe I’m wrong.

tommy71 on February 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Rusty Allen on February 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM

:-)

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM

tom daschle concerned on February 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Don’t you just know that had to irk the gun grabbers so. ; ) how did the chiro go?

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM

BAY-BUH — if you’ve ever wondered, *der der*
Wondered — whatever became of me, *der der*
I’m livin’ on the air in Cincinnati, *der der*
Cincinnati, WKRP.

Slade! Everybody!

Got kinda tired of packin’ and unpackin’, *der der*
Town to town, up and down the dial. *der der*
Maybe you and me were never meant to be, *der der*
But baby think of me once in awhileeeeeee.

I’m at W. K. R. P. in Cin.Cin. Naaaaatiiiii..

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Yes I do. I don’t use one of those newfangled noodle machines, either. I make them from scratch, roll them out, and cut them myself. Sometimes, I make dumplings, instead, but when I make chicken and dumplings, I make a thicker, richer stock and add cream. :)

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM

tommy71 on February 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Oh I hear ya, his dad and the Ronulan cultists are whacky enough to make any sane person leery of Rand. Rand is definitely a watch closely individual.

SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Bmore hope you are on the mend!!

Be well soon :-)

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM

YYZ live

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Be well soon :-)

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Don’t you mean… Bemore well???? ;p

SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM

SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Lol um yeah! ;-)

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Rand is definitely a watch closely individual.

SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I would say well behind McCain, Graham and Rubio.

VorDaj on February 5, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Wow Jackie, that post made me hungry.

tommy71 on February 5, 2013 at 12:20 AM

In The Mood for a Melody

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:21 AM

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM

So many folks today miss out on the old fashion ways for the simple pleasure of flat noodles. Very wholesum, simple and good. I like them in beef , potato, and tomato stew also. Great time of year for these food groups even if I wasn’t sick.

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

*installs sneeze-guard on helmet; now bmore proof*

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

How is wholesum spelled?

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Cool tunes there Ken!!

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Dance?

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Absolutely! Good, solid, wholesome foods. ;)

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Yeah, his presentation was exceptional and common sense. I’m sure it irked the crap out of the nanny staters.

Abandoned chiro after a few adjustments for some good olde fashioned physical therapy. I think I got a good one and am already gettign a little relief after one session. I had let myself go soft, that is, been too sedentary for too long. Never Again! Don’t go soft! Keep that core strong and stay active! Nothing like a few weeks of 9-10 level pain to get you motivated to get back into the gym :P

Hope your chx soup with the flat noodles mends your ailment.

Now dance!

tom daschle concerned on February 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM

B, wholesome

tommy71 on February 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM

4Dire

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Jackie, do you make drop dumplings or slick dumplings?

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Dance?

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Now dance!

tom daschle concerned on February 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Not likely to be spun in teh same set 8D

tom daschle concerned on February 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM

We never finished our poem.

Rusty Allen on February 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM

tom daschle concerned on February 5, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I am happy to hear this good news tom. Ailments of that type can really kill motivation.

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM

It depends on who’s at the dinner table. If I have people I consider family, they get fluffy, seasoned, drop dumplings. If it’s for a more ‘formal’ guest, I make the slick, latticed dumplings.

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:26 AM

tom daschle concerned on February 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM

That’s what’s wonderful about the tunes on HA. Everyone gets something they love. :)

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Dancing With Myself

lol

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM

B, wholesome

tommy71 on February 5, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Thank you. Happens to me a lot. I look at a word it doesn’t look correct and I don’t know why. Add to that this blame iPad thingy and my spelling is a real mess. HeIIfire it a big mess even without help.

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Promised somebody this

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM

banning some military-style weapons

Hmmmm..the AR was sold on the CIVILIAN market well before it was officially adopted by the MILITARY. IIRC, the advertisements went something like “Own TOMORROW’S rifle, TODAY!”

The Remington 700 was a HUNTING rifle long before the MILITARY and then POLICE adopted it as a SNIPER rifle.

So what kind of “style” is it? Sounds like CIVILIANS had 1st claim.

But then that would shoot down another false liberal claim. They know they can’t use “assault RIFLE” so they came up with “assault weapon”……which they have yet to define.

GarandFan on February 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM

lol! Excellent tune. Some of us are dancing along with you, too. :)

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Cripes. Looks like I’m headed into the Bermuda triangle.

Here’s the plan.

When they call AllahPundit, that’s who I told them I who I work for (didn’t mention that I was the Fire Marshall for the Glade) tell AP to say that I was lost at sea and for him to act very very sad about me being lost at sea cause I’m such a good blogger and what not.

Then when I return to the Glade they won’t be wize to the plan because I won’t being going to any more super bowls. They can stuff it.

SparkPlug on February 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:26 AM

I like them both, but if I had to pick only one, it would be the slick style. Yum!

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Rusty Allen on February 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM

We didn’t :-( my bad… I jumped the gun last nite…

Wanna try again?

You write first 2 lines :-)

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:31 AM

it=its

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Well, goodnight all. Get better Bmore.

AZfederalist on February 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM

How is wholesum spelled?

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Wholesome

For your price-shopping pleasure.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I think I might just have to wonder downstairs and have a bowl of soup now. Pardon me for a bit.

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

SparkPlug on February 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Watch out for aliens Sparky!

We cannot lose you out there…

Make sure your alien radar thingy is working ‘k!

And your tazer!

Come back safely!

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Good night AZ!

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Yes.. both have their merits. I like to brown the drop style when they’re almost done, to a nice golden brown before I serve the dish. Frankly, I like them both, too.

I make both styles with chicken fricassee, occasionally, too.

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Nite, AZ

tommy71 on February 5, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Crue

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Rusty Allen on February 5, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Somthing less melancholy eh :-D

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:36 AM

SparkPlug on February 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

SparkPlug MUST NOT be allowed to combine with the Bermuda Triangle!

BRB!

. . . to the sea Ariel, quicker than the leviathan can swim a league!

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM

SparkPlug on February 5, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Glade One to Explorer Spark. Return to Glade Base immediately. Pull the emergency cord installed on the left hand side of the rheostat flangelator, and brace for sudden acceleration. The Kerfuffle will instantly transform into an emergency escape vehicle, and return you to the Glade. Do you read me, Explorer Spark? Over.

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Not just for Bmore and J.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Dream – Ray Anthony and his Orchestra

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM

RWM, he’s a bigot…against the Meskins.

“We want one class of persons to have a liberal education and we want another class of persons, a very much larger class of necessity in every society, to forgo the privilege of a liberal education and fit themselves to perform specific difficult manual tasks.”

- President Woodrow Wilson

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Mad World

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Donnie? Donnie Darko?

tom daschle concerned on February 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Thanks for that, Schadenfreude. I think I have a regional variation.

I make those, and then I place them in a woven lattice pattern over the dish, and brown them in the oven.

I also season the fluffy kind, and then drop them on top of the dish, and brown them to finish them, as well. :)

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Not just for Bmore and J.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Yum! Which do you prefer if any?

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Thanks.

Scrumpy: Yes.

SWalker: I agree. I just hope that Rand watches what he says; otherwise, he is going to get tarred with daddy’s “batshit crazy” brush.

Resist We Much on February 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM

tommy71 on February 5, 2013 at 12:14 AM

You can’t trust any politician. Give them a week or two and they’ll cave on something or sell out on something else. The ones who pretend they are immune to the Washington games are the ones that can be the most dangerous.

Jackalope on February 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Think I’ll have a sandwich and a tall glass of milk while I’m down here.

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Yum! Which do you prefer if any?

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Any…food (with few exceptions), in moderation.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Dire…

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Resist We Much on February 5, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I’m hoping that Rand is clearer headed and doesn’t get tarred with daddy’s ‘batshit crazy’ brush…but I’m wary, like Walker.

Look who raised him, at least ostensibly, and who taught him the ropes of moving within the political class.

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM

tom daschle concerned on February 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM

No sorry Tears for Fears…

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM

; ) What kind of cold that makes a man this hungry so late at night I don’t know. Pie!

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Have you listened to Mark Levin’s take??..:)

PS..Check out the Karl Rove thread..You can listen to there..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Steps taken. We’re OK.

***

4b9

Dang it. Anyone posting or lurking know the name of that late 80′s techno thing with the “New York, New York” line in it? Along the lines of Voyou’s Houseman?

I need it for a dedication. =)

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Dire Straits on February 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Good evening, Dire. Always nice to see you. :)

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Schad, Wilson was a flaming racist, who could do little more than call his valet a “n!gg*r” constantly by the end of his life after his strokes. He probably has the worst civil liberties record of any POTUS in history and that’s saying something when Roosevelt rounded up more than 100,000 Americans, sent them to “relocation camps,” and let people steal their property.

Resist We Much on February 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Hiya there, Mr. Straits. :-)

tommy71 on February 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Any…food (with few exceptions), in moderation.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Me too. I don’t like squid.

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM

The honor is mine..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM

The Pixies: Where is my mind…

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Maybe just another small bowl of soup.

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Another sandwich would go good with the soup. Quandary.

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Cult

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Hello..:)

Dire Straits on February 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I do all of my commenting using the dictation feature on iPhone 5. Once you learn how to do the punctuation, it becomes a breeze.

Having this iPhone lets me comment on HotAir no matter where I am. I do it in line at the grocery store, waiting for my doctor’s appointment, at the fitness studio, and while lounging around at home. People around me might think I’m a little weird going on about “deranged Palinistas,” but I don’t care.

bluegill on February 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Now B, don’t you go stuffing yourself. ;-)

tommy71 on February 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Resist We Much on February 5, 2013 at 12:51 AM

‘Glorious’ leftists…in all of history. Must invent something to disable them…starve the Looters/moochers.

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM

Dire Straits on February 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM

You’re too kind, Dire. :)

Have you heard that Spark’s last report was that he was headed into the Bermuda Triangle? I’ve told him to activate his emergency pod, but no response so far. Axe has taken steps to effect a rescue, too. Do you think we could send Dave to rescue him … if all else fails?

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:56 AM

late hello, Hi Schad!

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Must be one heII of a appetite this cold is giving me. Even that ^^^ isn’t making me lose my appetite. *slurp*

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:57 AM

NVM! Got it! lol — can’t believe it, but I got it.

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Live Dire

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Hi Scrumpy!!!

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I think it’s entirely dependent upon how soon you intend to lie down and go to sleep. If you mean to stay up for awhile, it would be alright, but if you mean to lie down soon afterward …. well, I’m sure you know what I’m saying. :)

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM

Hey Scrumpy, I got a request.

tommy71 on February 5, 2013 at 12:59 AM

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Provocative song!!

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Bmore, did you see the great price on your preferred mustard? Where do you usually get it?

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2013 at 1:00 AM