Quotes of the day

posted at 10:21 pm on February 4, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

photo Screenshot2013-02-04at94507PM_zps44591a81.png

***

With his gun proposals dividing Congress, President Barack Obama took his case for universal background checks and for banning some military-style weapons to the upper Midwest on Monday, looking to build public support for his measures and to apply pressure on lawmakers.

Obama argued that there’s bipartisan support for a system to undertake criminal checks on gun buyers and for gun trafficking laws but, acknowledging the political challenges he faces, would only say that the assault weapons ban deserves a vote in Congress.

‘‘We don’t have to agree on everything to agree it’s time to do something,’’ he said. …

‘‘Changing the status quo is never easy,’’ Obama said. ‘‘This will be no exception. The only way we can reduce gun violence in this county is if it the American people decide it’s important, if you decide it’s important — parents and teachers, police officers and pastors, hunters and sportsmen, Americans of every background stand up and say, ‘This time, it’s got to be different.’’’

***

Senate Democratic leaders expect a gun bill to move to the Senate floor that includes most of the proposals backed by President Barack Obama, with the notable exception of a ban on military-style, semiautomatic weapons, a top aide to Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said. …

The details provide the first snapshot of how Senate Democrats plan to move forward on major gun legislation in coming weeks.

But the strategy outline also reflects a growing sense within Democratic ranks that some of the president’s most ambitious goals—particularly the call for new bans on certain types of military-style guns often described as assault weapons—may be unrealistic, the Reid aide said.

The goal is to get the bill to the Senate floor next month, at which point lawmakers could then seek to amend the legislation by adding a ban on certain semiautomatic weapons or other provisions, the aide said.

***

REID: George, I’ve been supported by the NRA on occasion. I know Wayne LaPierre. He’s always been extremely pleasant to me. We have a good relationship. So I — I am not here to demean the organization.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But they are resisting almost everything you’ve talked about and we’ve talked about here, everything the president has called for.

REID: George, just because they resist it doesn’t mean we can’t do things. I mean, we have a lot of special interest groups that come and complain about things, and we don’t listen to them. We’ll listen to them and make the right decision.

STEPHANOPOULOS: But will you commit to getting something done?

REID: Yes, I definitely want to do something with immigration for sure, and I want to get something done on guns.

***

David Axelrod suggested on Morning Joe that Chicago’s high rate of gun crime can be blamed on the fact that “surrounding areas” have lax gun laws. What is true here is that the guns used in Chicago crimes come from outside of Chicago, because they “don’t have gun stores in Chicago.” Many crime guns are purchased just outside the city limits, though more than half come from other states.

However, Illinois as a whole is fairly strict when it comes to guns — all gun owners must have a license, and it’s the only state in the nation that doesn’t allow concealed carry by private citizens under any circumstances. (This will change if Richard Posner’s recent ruling holds up.) I’m not sure how much stricter a state could be without running afoul of the Second Amendment. And the communities these guns come from typically have much lower crime rates than Chicago does. …

Frankly, I don’t think gun control has much to do with Chicago’s murder problem. It seems to be mostly gang-related, which means that (A) any guns that can’t be bought legally will be bought illegally and (B) arming the law-abiding won’t make much difference either, because the violence is taking place between criminals. We still should arm the law-abiding, so that they may defend themselves against burglaries and the like, but they are rarely the victims of gang murders.

***

Most New Yorkers support a stringent new state law that tackles gun control, a poll out Monday showed.

According to a survey from Siena Research Institute, 65 percent of those polled back the measure, which was passed last month in the wake of the December shooting massacre in Newtown, Conn. Thirty percent are opposed. …

The legislation, the toughest in the country, took steps including banning certain kinds of military-style weapons, reducing the ammunition quantities weapons can hold and requiring background checks to purchase bullets.

***

The Arkansas House of Representatives approved a bill on Monday to allow concealed-carry permit holders to take their weapons into churches, and it is expected to be signed into law by the state’s governor.

The Church Protection Act would allow individual places of worship to decide whether to allow concealed handguns and who could carry them. The Republican-controlled House passed the bill 85-8 with bipartisan support. The measure previously passed the Republican-controlled Senate 28-4.

Arkansas joins a handful of other states, including South Carolina, Wyoming and Louisiana, that allow guns in churches, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

***

If Idahoans, like Americans in many states, have rushed to buy guns out of fear for personal safety in the aftermath of recent mass shootings, or out of fear of tighter legal controls, then democracy has already spoken, many lawmakers said. People have voted with their pocketbooks.

“Enable them to do what they believe is right,” said State Senator Marv Hagedorn, a Republican who was designated to be his chamber’s point man on proposed gun legislation in the session that began in January, describing what he sees as his mandate. “There’s a huge call to all of us to protect the Second Amendment rights.”

Every level of government in every state is, without question, looking more closely at issues of public safety since the slaughter in Newtown, Conn., of 20 children and 6 adults in an elementary school in December. But in deeply conservative states like Idaho, where President Obama got less than 33 percent of the vote in November — one of his worst showings in the nation — the discussion of school safety is occurring behind a kind of Chinese wall, separate from the question of whether certain types of guns or high-capacity magazines are to blame. …

The Idaho Department of Education has also been meeting to talk through the new terrain of school safety, even as some districts have said that they may move ahead on their own in allowing teachers and administrators to be openly armed, as Idaho law already permits.

***

According to multiple studies summarized by the Treatment Advocacy Center, these untreated mentally ill are responsible for 10% of all homicides (and a higher percentage of the mass killings), constitute 20% of jail and prison inmates and at least 30% of the homeless. Severely mentally ill individuals now inundate hospital emergency rooms and have colonized libraries, parks, train stations and other public spaces. The quality of the lives of these individuals mocks the lofty intentions of the founders of the CMHC program.

Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of this 50-year federal experiment is its inordinate cost. In 2009, 4.7 million Americans received SSI or SSDI because of mental illnesses, not including mental retardation, a tenfold increase since 1977. The total cost was $46 billion. The total Medicaid and Medicare costs for mentally ill individuals in 2005 was more than $60 billion. …

Nor is President Obama likely to do anything, since his lead agency, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, has essentially denied that a problem exists. Its contribution to the president’s response to the Dec. 14 Newtown tragedy focused only on school children and insurance coverage. And its current plan of action for 2011-14, a 41,000-word document, includes no mention of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or outpatient commitment, all essential elements in an effective plan for corrective action.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM

i only have one, but I have been told it is extremely rare.

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM

My prediction is the gun ban will fail.

bluegill on February 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I believe that and I also believe the R’s will cave and ammo and magazine size restrictions will pass. Without ammo, guns are nothing more than paper weights. The gun ban discussion is just the shiny object to get you to not pay attention to what they are really going after.

TulsAmerican on February 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM

What?!?! No movie?

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:22 PM

The movie is

Minimis, the night of the living dead..

Take care…..

Electrongod on February 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Commenting on the nature of the opinions of others really doesn’t show you are any smarter than then. In the scheme of things those advertisements are really meaningless.

chemman on February 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Why do they call it GoDaddy? Was GoMamma already taken?

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:23 PM

hehe. You are still the Fire Marshall. I had to drift out into the gulf of Mexico, deep into international waters, to evade the authorities.

Can you believe it, they are mad about the power outage. BFD, so their silly game got interrupted. BFD.

I almost got lectrocuted. I could have gone up like the von Hindenburg and all they car about is their silly game. BFD.

SparkPlug on February 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Get a brain, and lighten the F up…respectively

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I give in. I’ll go watch the GoDaddy commercial.

Axe on February 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I’ve now seen the GoDaddy commercial.

I hate you Slade.

Axe on February 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

chemman on February 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

yeah chemman…not really my objective

just making conversation

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Electrongod, ; )

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

LOL. Chicago’s high rate of violent crime can be blamed on demographics. The numbers don’t lie. How about starting there, you despicable, lying scumbag?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Then I shall let you keep that one :-) it is precious…

But you must talk to it, they get lonely alone…

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I hate you Slade.

Axe on February 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

lol

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Speaking of growing things… I ordered three new roses today for my rose garden. :) I can’t wait to get them.

Two Twilight Zone Grandiflora’s… and a Midnight Blue landscape shrub rose. I’m going to plant them with the Ebb Tide and the Purple Tiger. They’re all extremely fragrant.

The roses behind them are all dark reds, and the roses on the side garden are whites, creams, lavenders, and pinks.

thatsafactjack on February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Or should that have been? : (

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I give in. I’ll go watch the GoDaddy commercial.

Axe on February 4, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I wouldn’t. It’s really gross.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 4, 2013 at 11:30 PM

SparkPlug on February 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I know silly people, BFD it isn’t, I’ll ferret around and check back.

Let you know if it’s all clear!!

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:31 PM

lol

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Which spot was it?

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Slade73 on February 4, 2013 at 11:27 PM

=My take was that no one around here liked it either. Didn’t see anybody go overboard with their judgement, but I don’t catch every post either. I thought it sucked…face.

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Temptation is difficult to resist, when she comes to you in an unearthly glow

tommy71 on February 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

‘‘Changing the status quo is never easy,’’ Obama said.

Yup, just like the Constitution, ya dumb As$

GreatCommunicator on February 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Greetings and salutations, y’all!

My prediction is the gun ban will fail.

bluegill on February 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Evening, hope you’re having a good night cause we don’t like trouble around these parts. :)

arnold ziffel on February 4, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Ok, you two. Enough with the idle chit-chat. There are places for that. This is a serious political blog.

Got it?

Solaratov on February 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM

KCB, which spot was it? The one with the breaking strap?

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

thatsafactjack on February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Your garden sounds like heaven!

Story: My Grandfather was an avid Rose grower, he grew his into Rose trees, he grafted many roses onto one single stalk, and they bloomed almost all year!

He babied them all thru winter.

He won many local village competitions.

I cannot tell you what all he grew, but they were amazing to see.

A rainbow of colours and the scents, none like it…

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

BFD

SparkPlug on February 4, 2013 at 11:28 PM

rotf

Axe on February 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM

…10:21 PM????????????I’ve been refreshing since I got home and thought AP got laid or something! At 11:15 on the SB Ad thread I was complaining that QOTD wasn’t up yet!…now it pops up with over 130 comments?…what is going on?

KOOLAID2 on February 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM

KCB suggested on HotAir that Mexico’s high rate of gun crime can be blamed on the fact that “the government to their north” have an effed up ATF.

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Medal of Honor recipient, Dakota Meyer, to Ron Paul:

Hey @ronpaul have you lost you mind? That sword protected your freedom. Guess since I live by it I deserve to get murdered as well? #wow

Dakota Meyer (@Dakota_Meyer) February 04, 2013

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM

There’s A Moon Out Tonight – The Capris

thatsafactjack on February 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Make no mistakes. Obama picked MN for his never ending campain today for a reason. These loons in the state legislation have gone full Stalin on of the people of MN. This bill is even more tyrannical than the one passed in NY. Why isn’t anyone exposing these mini tyrants?

These POS would be wise to remember what Washington had to say on the issue of an armed populace.

“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

jawkneemusic on February 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 4, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Yeah it happened to me also but not so bad!

I would refresh and it wouldn’t show new comments until I refreshed again, seems fine now tho… it’s a BFD ya know!! ;-)

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Good evening, fine folks.

Rusty Allen on February 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM

S’up peep’s…

SWalker on February 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM

thatsafactjack on February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

It would be roses. :) Sounds like a massive amount of work there, though.

Axe on February 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM

…I’m seeing that now!…I thought my wife put something in my food!

KOOLAID2 on February 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Let me remind you @ronpaul Chris Kyle is an American hero to not only myself but to America #RIPCK—

Dakota Meyer (@Dakota_Meyer) February 04, 2013

#RIPCK stands for Chris Kyle, but if you move the “P” to the beginning, it refers to Ron Paul.

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Hey late comer guys!! :-)

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM

jawkneemusic on February 4, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Obama’s Lexington and Concord moment approaches perhaps.

SWalker on February 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Welcome, Rusty and SW. Rusty, your sque…..love was around here. You reached a tad late.

tommy71 on February 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I read those and more at Twitchy, totally disgusting…

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM

No kidding, how classless.

Rusty Allen on February 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

When Bar was kissing the geeky guy. i think Danica was piloting the plane.

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Local talk show host was playing a clip from one of the Wisconsin representatives today making the comment,
“Are people making the argument that people should be allowed to own nuclear weapons or submarines? We have to dispel this notion that people have the right to keep and bear arms”.

Stupidity this thick just can’t be penetrated. This woman took an oath to defend and uphold the Constitution and she doesn’t even know what is in it.

AZfederalist on February 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

tommy71 on February 4, 2013 at 11:41 PM

BWAHAHAHAH… Just wait till poor Rusty finds out Bluegill is a gay dude… That’s going to be an… interesting moment… o_O

SWalker on February 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

It sounds like your grandfather was a man after my own heart, Scrumpy! I love roses. His gardens sound very beautiful, indeed, and it must have been a magical place, too. :)

Because of the winds here, I don’t grow the tree varieties, and I only have about a dozen climbers, all in protected areas. When they’re in bloom, and I get about five good flushes a year, the scent is wonderful, and I bring cut roses in for bouquets all season long. I’ve found that the little knock out shrub roses keep blooming right up until Christmas here most years. I have them planted in my mailbox planters curbside, too. :)

thatsafactjack on February 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Just my luck, Tommy, just my luck.

Rusty Allen on February 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

We all agree that Liberalism and especially Progressivism are truly MENTAL DISORDERS to the Nth degree!

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

NONONO! I’m ready to deal.

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

When Bar was kissing the geeky guy. i think Danica was piloting the plane.

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Huh? I haven’t seen it, have to take your word on it I guess.

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

AZfederalist on February 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

You assume that she doesn’t know what is in it, whereas I assume she does, but is working to subvert it.

SWalker on February 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Yup, just like the Constitution, ya dumb As$

GreatCommunicator on February 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

If you walk up to a door, and it’s locked, barred, and marked with a bunch of x symbols, you’d be a fool to just open it. But they do. Things don’t get to be the current state by accident. Things are stable where they are, or more stable than the alternatives.

Think first, make a plan, make some changes.

Progressives: Anyone before me was a cave-person, and everything they believed or built is landfill. Lunatics, basically.

Nice to see Reagan visits HotAir, btw. :) I suspected as much.

Axe on February 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Now now KA2, don’t you go and blame your wife. That ain’t ‘fair’. ;-)

tommy71 on February 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

His attempt to “clarify”:

As a veteran, I certainly recognize that this weekend’s violence and killing of Chris Kyle were a tragic and sad event. My condolences and prayers go out to Mr. Kyle’s family. Unconstitutional and unnecessary wars have endless unintended consequences. A policy of non-violence, as Christ preached, would have prevented this and similar tragedies.

- Ron Paul

People used to ask me to give an example of the 15% that was “a batshit crazy bridge too far” for me relative to supporting Ron Paul.

Well, this is an example of that 15% batshyt crazy bridge.

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

SWalker on February 4, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Nooo!

Rusty Allen on February 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I agree!

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

AZfederalist on February 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Well, truth be known, I would like an M1 Abrams if it weren’t for the fuel economy . It would make fetching fallen oak trees off the side of the mountain easier

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM

‘Semi’-automatic? So.

And Cain slew Able. Even the bible doesn’t care about the method, its one human doing harm to others.
Tyranny is governments doing harm to many, what our second amendment is meant for.

None of our amendments have anything to do with murder.

Speakup on February 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Since you are helping me keep the Glade safe, lets go walk around and check things out, it should be especially nice this evening…

:-D

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Perfect example of it hon!!

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Link to idiot: Notion they can bear arms

AZfederalist on February 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

– Ron Paul

Well, this is an example of that 15% batshyt crazy bridge.

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

That pathetic imbecile doesn’t even know what Christ taught. He really out to keep in bat$hit insane piehole shut.

SWalker on February 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Huh! I always carry my gun in church – and everywhere else.

I guess I should find out if there’s a law against it.

Solaratov on February 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Things to come

Schadenfreude on February 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

SW, you’re busting Rustys erotic dreams and hopes. Go easy on the dude. ;-)

tommy71 on February 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Bmore. here it is.

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Well, this is an example of that 15% batshyt crazy bridge.

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:46 PM

You didn’t lowball that by chance did you? I had him slightly higher. Hope the son isn’t a chip off the old block.

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Here. I brought you flowers. They aren’t much…

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

AZfederalist on February 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

What a putz.

Can I call a woman a putz?

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Axe on February 4, 2013 at 11:39 PM

It’s not so much work compared to the yield and the pleasure they give me. I spend about an hour or so every day during the season. It gives me time to do something besides write. LOL!

I also love orange trees, and I’m growing them in the house during the cold months. I wheel them outside in the late spring through the summer. :)

thatsafactjack on February 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

SW, you’re busting Rustys erotic dreams and hopes. Go easy on the dude. ;-)

tommy71 on February 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Hey, I’ve been warning him for days that if he continued to pursue bluegill he would end up with a near fatal case of Ick… o_O

SWalker on February 4, 2013 at 11:52 PM

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Oh so lovely! :-)

Now to put them up! Thank you!!

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Trouble in GA – Bmore, watch out.

Schadenfreude on February 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

That’s why I have a hard time with Rand Paul. He is reasonable at many things, but his dad is–Ron Paul.

Rusty Allen on February 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Bmore. here it is.

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Thanks KCB. The better half says more than anything it’s just stupid. She didn’t like the sound effects. Thought they were a bit much. Probably on the foley artist reel though. Lol!

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Schadenfreude on February 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Good evening, Schadenfreude! Always a pleasure to see you. :)

thatsafactjack on February 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Oh God!

Why did I click on that?

Is the guy a gal?

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I like your idea of a walk. Balloon rides are incredible, but a walk with you sounds quietly special.

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Can I call a woman a putz?

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Eh … “putz” means “d*ck”. You decide. It doesn’t really fit, though.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM

lol

No, I agree with him on probably 85% of the issues, but it is the remaining 15% (Pink money! Rick Perry is about to take over the world! Run for your lives!!!) was just a “batshit crazy bridge too far” for me.

He might be 100% loon, but he doesn’t have a monopoly on constitutionalism. So, the fact that I agree with him on many issues doesn’t mean that there is support. We just, COINCIDENTALLY, agree.

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Rogot the disclaimer. Awful huh?

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Unfortunately Sparky has the Balloon he’s over the Carribean…

It’s a BFD you know!!

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Trouble in GA – Bmore, watch out.

Schadenfreude on February 4, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Not likely. Though runoffs down here can produce strangeness.

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Hi Jackie, and you too.

Ignore the moron on the Nappi thread.

Schadenfreude on February 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Rogot=Forgot

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:57 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I need to ‘bone’ up on the slang vernacular then!

Then she is a you know what…

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Scrumpy on February 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Damn the luck! I guess we stroll.

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Schadenfreude on February 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Thank you for interceding on my behalf. I checked back to see if he had anything cogent to say and noticed your comment to him. It brought a smile to my lips. :)

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM

KCB on February 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Yes we shall!

Scrumpy on February 5, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I’m really sick of seeing photos of Obama.

How about Admin use a pic of Elmer Fudd when setting up a thread about Obama?

Liam on February 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Living by the sword, by the way, means putting your trust in the strength of the sword. To paraphrase for clarity, hopefully not losing any meaning, If you live depending upon your sword, you’ll die one day at the hands of someone else depending upon theirs. There is no real strength in your sword; it can’t save you.

I’m pretty sure this is what Jesus meant. There’s context.

And this clarification is for Mo, though it might be 1500 years too late: The ancient writings refer to the sword of the spirit of God, the word of God. Meaning his words are his sword. And it’s described as a two-edged sword, too.

– This has been an Axe Nessman Special Report. Axe Nessman. Stating the obvious for decades. Nessman. NESSMAN. NESSMAN!

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I love BFDs, Scrumpy.

Rusty Allen on February 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I know I have played this before but I love this song.

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM

SWalker on February 4, 2013 at 11:44 PM

That crossed my mind as well. Kind of means she has no problem violating her oath of office.

/yeah, I know, that has never been a problem for democrats.

AZfederalist on February 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Ina Ray Hutton’s Orchestra 1936

Hope you’re feeling better, Bmore! :)

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Not likely. Though runoffs down here can produce strangeness.

Bmore on February 4, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Watch yur drops, dood!

\m/

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM

He might be 100% loon, but he doesn’t have a monopoly on constitutionalism.

Resist We Much on February 4, 2013 at 11:55 PM

No, he has a very tenuous grasp of what the US Constitution is at best. Rand may suffer some or even many of the insanities of his father, but if he does, he is at this point in time good at keeping them hidden.

So far Rand seems to be far more sane and rational than his dad. I’m not sure I am ready to back him, but I am certainly far more willing to listen to and consider what he has to say than I am anything his father might say.

SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Stop This Train – Mayer

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Red Barchetta

KCB on February 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Still sick, but thank you. Did get fresh home made chicken soup out of the deal. Flat noodles to boot. So there is an upside I guess. ; )

\m/

Axe on February 5, 2013 at 12:04 AM

You be nice to me or I’ll sneeze on you.

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Bmore on February 5, 2013 at 12:08 AM

That soup is a miracle cure! That fact that it was homemade makes it even more potent… and delicious! You’ll be well in no time with care like that. :)

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM