Obama: I think the Boy Scouts should admit gay members

posted at 9:31 am on February 4, 2013 by Allahpundit

Not surprising but still newsworthy given that he is, after all, the BSA’s honorary president and because I’m not sure we’d have gotten as unequivocal a statement from him a year ago, before he “evolved” on gay marriage. No doubt he would have supported gay scouts even then, but there might have been a “private organizations are free to do as they wish” caveat tacked on in the interest of hedging. When he first took office, there was some grumbling on the left encouraging him to decline the group’s honorary presidency because it doesn’t admit gays and atheists. He ignored that, no doubt because he already knew from his “I oppose gay marriage” charade that gays would forgive him nearly anything in the interest of ultimate liberal victory. Then he caught flak from the right in 2010 when he didn’t attend the BSA’s 100th anniversary celebration, opting to send a video message instead. That’s classic hedging, choosing to keep his distance from the group physically to please his base while offering his congrats to please everyone else. But now that he’s embraced gay marriage, why hedge?

This is also newsworthy because I think it’s a rare case lately of O doing more good than harm for his cause by weighing in. Passing gun control was going to be hard enough for Democrats before Obama took the lead on it and gave Republicans more reason to oppose it. Same with immigration; Dems were so worried about The One turning Senate negotiations toxic by offering his own bill that they begged him privately not to do it. In the case of the BSA, though, Obama’s already proved he can move opinion among social cons in his own base towards greater acceptance of gays. If you’re a Democrat who’s opposed to letting your kid join a BSA unit that includes gays, this might make you think twice. If you’re Republican who’s opposed to letting your kid join a BSA unit that includes gays, who cares what Obama thinks? It’s a net gain for gays to have O’s endorsement.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I find it quite horrible that a gay teenager who just affirms that he is gay is supposed to be booted out of the Boy Scouts. You can quote the Bible all you what to, but that is just the way that I feel. How about you, Ed and Allah?

SC.Charlie on February 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

SC.Charlie on February 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

You have no shame.

verbaluce on February 5, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Not about the Truth, as given by God through His Holy Church, I don’t. But as you are trying to imply…you know nothing about me. I have great shame and sorrow for my own sin, but that is the difference in us, verbaluce. I hate my sin, am shamed by it and try mightily to avoid it rather than reveling in it and certainly would never define myself by it, nor try to lead others to replicate it.

SC.Charlie on February 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I find it horrible that people push young confused persons into defining themselves by desires that they may well outgrow if not encouraged to embrace them at a young impressionable age. I find it horrible that a state government would deny young persons the ability to receive counseling to rid themselves of unwanted desires. I find it horrible that we don’t do all we can to encourage teenagers to abstain from all sex as it rarely results in anything other than trouble, but instead, we want to encourage them to ‘come out’ and/or practice that non-existent safe sex. Horrible…

You are certainly free to reject Scripture and deny the existence of God’s law if you want, but do not tell me I have to deny God’s law and embrace your man made laws on sexual morality. Deal?

pannw on February 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Yes, because we all know that entering into or remaining a part of an organization under false pretenses is the watermark height of moral and ethical behavior. – SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I was first in the Cub Scouts and then in the Boy Scouts in the 1960s. I did not realize that I was “gay” until I was around 14 years old. I don’t remember being asked on any questionnaire back then, are you gay or do you believe that you are gay. I bought into the now totally debunked, dumb idea that you remain celibate and pray enough you will just grow out of it. Well seven years ago I finally broke down and put a revolver to my head and played Russian Roulette for five days and was committed a to mental hospital for major depression. After getting out of the mental hospital I finally came out to friends and family. I finally broke my silence of over 40 years. Things have been much better since then. Oh, and I am celibate to this day. My life in those forty or so years was one of anxiety, reclusiveness and periods of depression. Oh, and to this day I am still celibate.

SC.Charlie on February 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

pannw on February 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

What are you talking about?
You attempt to disguise your arrogance – and it seems successfully to the point of self-delusion – with the ‘I am am sinner’ line.
Got a log in your eye, Pastor.

verbaluce on February 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM

SC.Charlie on February 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Sorry, you can stuff your sob story. If, upon deciding that you were gay, you remained in the Boy Scouts, then you did so under false pretenses. Period, end of Story.

Scout Oath
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

Scout Law
A Scout is:
Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful,
Friendly, Courteous, Kind,
Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty,
Brave, Clean, Reverent

Engaging in any activity under false pretenses is neither doing your duty to God, morally straight nor trustworthy. I honestly do not care how conflicted or tormented you were. I only care that if you remained in the Boy Scouts, then you betrayed the Boy
Scouts, and every person in the Boy Scouts that you knew, who thought that they knew you and thought that they could trust you.

SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Wow…what a…um, speech!
BSA also currently has a policy prohibiting a$$holes.
It’s not up for a vote as it’s not being challenged any anyone.
So thankfully you have no say…you have no role.
You can take off the hat now, step off the stool, and put away the mirror.

verbaluce on February 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM

I see nobody has addressed my point. With heterosexual youths, it’s relatively easy to segregate the sexes. Most folks don’t allow boys to sleep in the same tents with girls, especially as they near adolescence, and I assume you agree with that policy. If you don’t, then feel free to just buzz right out of the conversation.

With homosexual youths, it’s rather difficult to segregate them, since by definition they’re attracted to the same gender. See how that makes things difficult?

So, anyway, Scouts would like camping to not be a temptation to sexual experimentation (they don’t allow smoking or drinking either, go figure). Homosexuality plays havoc with that scheme. So how would you deal with it? How do you segregate the kids so that nobody sleeps with someone they are sexually attracted to? Hint: if a boy identifies as gay, he’s already sexually attracted to other boys.

So, what, have them sleep by themselves? Have gay boys bunk together? Yeah, that’s a good idea… not! Put the gays in with straight kids? Nope, makes the straight kids uncomfortable.

I suppose you could make the gays sleep with their parents. Then EVERYONE is happy!

AJsDaddie on February 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Wow…what a…um, speech!
BSA also currently has a policy prohibiting a$$holes.
It’s not up for a vote as it’s not being challenged any anyone.
So thankfully you have no say…you have no role.
You can take off the hat now, step off the stool, and put away the mirror.

verbaluce on February 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Wow, that was, ummm, well, lame even by your rather pathetic standards.

SWalker on February 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Wow…what a…um, speech!
BSA also currently has a policy prohibiting a$$holes.
It’s not up for a vote as it’s not being challenged any anyone.
So thankfully you have no say…you have no role.
You can take off the hat now, step off the stool, and put away the mirror. – verbaluce on February 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM

It really does no good to tell these jerks what kind of harm they are doing to gay teenagers.

SC.Charlie on February 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM

SC.Charlie on February 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Guys like that are pretty much ignored. Loud, but irrelevant and mostly harmless.
Like I said…no role, no say…just unbalanced rants.
Good to be able to show the kinds of folks who still hold these antiquated thoughts.

verbaluce on February 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Our son is a brand new Eagle Scout and is Senior Patrol Leader of his troop. He can’t stand Obummer.

How dare Obummer endorse admitting gay scouts and scoutmasters? It’s none of his business. He doesn’t have any boys who would be affected by the policy change! He should stay out of it.

sherrimae on February 6, 2013 at 1:34 PM

SWalker on February 5, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Walk on water, do you?
What if people like you are actually closeted, self-hating gays?
Sounds like you need to come out of the closet.

Shambhala on February 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM