Great news: Obama shot a skeet once, or something

posted at 2:31 pm on February 2, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama recently told the New Republic that he understands the concerns of gun owners, because “in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time.”  As critics chortled over both the notion that skeet shooting is what concerns gun owners and the idea that Obama shoots clay pigeons “all the time,” the White House has finally released a photo to back up its claim … and only one photo, dated August 12, 2012:

That led to a barrage of questions from journalists about whether the White House could offer proof that the president had gone shooting. It also led a Republican congresswoman to issue a challenge for a shoot-off. The White House has not responded to the challenge, but it has now uploaded this image[.]

And here it is:

Fox News reported earlier this week that there’s not likely to be more photos:

News of President Obama’s apparently long-secret fondness for skeet shooting came as a surprise to those who say they have witnessed the president’s “awkward” attempts at pinging the (clay) pigeons.

This has only happened with the president at Camp David, at most, a couple of times, according to a source who says he has been to the retreat on a half-dozen visits with Obama.

“The only time he shot skeet was for President’s Cup,” said the source, referring to a shooting competition tradition involving the presidential Marine guards. “I was there. He stayed for about five minutes, and couldn’t leave fast enough.”

Skeet shooting “is very hard,” said the source. “Especially for someone not used to guns … He couldn’t have been more uncomfortable.”

The source said a friend of his recalled Obama skeet shooting one other time at Camp David — very early on in his first term.

That didn’t stop Obama’s advisers from bragging about the photo this morning, though, and sneering at “skeeters” (via Twitchy and Weekly Standard):

I’ve done plenty of target shooting, but I’ve never gone skeet shooting. Nor is that the reason why most gun owners want their rights respected.  The publication of the photo, and especially the defensive attitude of Obama’s advisers, speaks volumes about their insecurity on the gun-rights issue.

But this certainly makes for a great weekend Caption Contest.  Have at it in the comments!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

Caption contest entry:

“…the reality of guns in urban areas are very different from the realities of guns in rural areas.”*

- President Barack H. Obama, January 2013

*And a five clip bonus to anyone who chuckles at the Harvard Law Review editor’s word and count choices.

rogerb on February 3, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Uhhh…. Hey Bevis, seen any skeets lately, UHhh…. yeah Butthead there’s one over there hiding under the chair…..

rodguy911 on February 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM

is that how he stands when he does a drone strike?

ted c on February 3, 2013 at 7:24 AM

OK, I live on a farm with 245 acres and we shoot skeet once and a while out here. What puzzles me is that we live in the era of smokeless powder. Too myself the discharge from Obama’s shotgun has way too much smoke. Some have said that this might be because of a “special” powder load. Why would anyone use a powder load that produces so much smoke?

The following is a link to comparing Obama to Queen Elizabeth’s shooting preferences:

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Just curious.

When is the White House going to release a picture of the President balancing the budget?

OK- maybe celebrating 5% unemployment?

Ya know for all of us fiscal-conspiracy nuts (Fisc-ers?).

Marcus Traianus on February 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM

The economy just contracted, unemployment is on the way up, and families are facing health care premiums of $20,000 plus per year.

And we are talking about skeet shooting?
Seriously?
Who gives a f#@k?

DRayRaven on February 3, 2013 at 6:33 AM

Because with heir genius in for another 4 years, WE can’t do a damn thing about those other problems

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Again we see how Obama is really focused…not like a laser, but like a skeet round.

Next we’ll see him with a blunderbuss. Well, we know that’s how he’s governing..one blunder after another, especially picking “winners and losers” in the economy.

And he did order that bus from Canada..

ProfShadow on February 3, 2013 at 7:45 AM

My bad, I’ve corrected it in my reply to TXUS that I was referring to the wad. The defensive shotgun rounds run some pretty wierd propellants and some of them do produce that type of smoke.

The smoke never precedes the wad. If you really knew anything about shotguns and shotgun shells you would know that it’s impossible. And defensive loads don’t produce huge plumes of white smoke. Neither do the light loads used for shooting skeet.

I have it on video from our annual fall pumpkin shooting day last November. I had bought some of the defensive loads for my son-in-law to try on the pumpkins. I am shooting video, he pulls the trigger … and just smoke came out similar to what you are seeing there in terms of pattern but not as much. The “rubber ball” load was wedged in the barrel.

We cleared it out OK but he got the idea the problem was the barrel so he went and tried it in another 12 ga … with the exact same result. We decided we wouldn’t be buying any more loads from the fellow who was selling this particular selection at the gun show.

What causes the payload to lodge in the barrel is insufficient powder. It’s called a squib. There is little or no smoke in a squib because there is little or no powder in the shell. Again, smoke cannot exit the muzzle before the wad. The wad is in front of the powder, which is what produces smoke, and as long as the wad is in the barrel the smoke will stay in the barrel.

With regard to the picture, a defensive load would expain why only the very tip of the shotgun seems to be moving. Light load on a ported barrel is not going to send a lot of force back down to the shooter and the recoil impulse would have already hit him with the load having exited the barrel.

Defensive loads are not light loads. Target loads, such as are used in skeet, are light loads. The entire gun moves in recoil, with any load, light or heavy. Ported guns, especially with the light target loads and open chokes used in skeet move straight back into the shoulder with little or no muzzle rise. (that’s the purpose of the porting) The recoil impulse continues after the load exits the barrel because of inertia. The picture shows smoke jetting from the muzzle and ports, which means the shot is at about the center point of the recoil cycle. It should show in his body, especially with the shooter being slightly built as Barry is.

FYI – I’ve been around guns my entire life, with literally hundreds of guns in the house at any given time in my childhood. I was taught to clear and safely handle every gun that was brought into the house. I was proficient with .22 rifles and pistols and .38 Spl revolvers before I was in 1st grade. I was shooting clay birds with a 16 ga, and M1911 pistols, in 4th grade. My father was a gunsmith and I am too. I started learning about guns almost from the time I learned to walk. I’m very well versed in the physics of how guns and ammunition operate, having studied the subject all my life, and I’m an amateur ballistician.
I can see a poser from a long way off.

single stack on February 3, 2013 at 8:09 AM

That picture is about as effective as Dukakis in a tank.

Ellis on February 3, 2013 at 8:09 AM

This gun is heavy, Michelle might like it better.

tomas on February 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Let’s simply state facts the President can not hit skeet let alone know how to consume them (broiled, baked, fried, or grilled).

The picture shows he knows four things about weapons 1. can hold it level, and appears to hold on for dear life that his finger obstruct his targeting. 2. there is ear protection large enough to cover his ears. 3. uses the same eye protection he uses when playing golf, and 4 can pull a trigger (vice) squeeze it to get a more stable firing of the weapon.

MSGTAS on February 3, 2013 at 8:30 AM

This the era of smokeless powder. No one has explained to me the excessive amount of smoke produced by Obama’s shotgun. Some have suggested that is a specially loaded shell? Still, why so much smoke?

Here is a photo comparison of What the Queen Elizabeth likes to shoot, as to what Obama prefers:

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 8:32 AM

My humble submission for the caption contest…

Just F#@%ing Great.

PointnClick on February 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM

To single stack on February 3, 2013 at 8:09 AM.

So what is your expert opinion of the photograph and the smoke discharge? Is there any reason for so much smoke? Personally I have shot skeet from time to time and never seen so much smoke from a shotgun discharge. This is the era of smokeless powder.

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM

PointnClick on February 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM

My guess that Putin could hit his target, since he was once in the KGB.

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Huzzah?

hawkdriver on February 3, 2013 at 8:49 AM

If you go back and read my comments you will see that I’ve explained that the smoke plume from the ports is impossible. If the pic was legit there would be equal smoke plumes from both sets of ports.
In my opinion the pic is enhanced.

single stack on February 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM

My take.

kingsjester on February 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

It is probably a 28 gauge with #9 shot…used by many for clay shooting because of the very low recoil…that would explain why the c86t has the butt halfway off his shoulder with no visible recoil at the muzzle or in his body…with this crowd of pricks they probably cut the tip and took the shot out therefore he was shooting smoke…as with everything else they do.

cp3984 on February 3, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Long thread….much ado about nada.
But kudos to some of the conspiracy theories.
Always fun to read those.

verbaluce on February 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Would someone put the photos of Obama on his bicycle and the one of him skeet shooting side by side so we can vote on which Bathhouse Barry photo is more “manly”?

Amjean on February 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Also, the volume of smoke is wrong. Modern shotshells just don’t produce that much smoke, though they do produce some, which varies with the load. – In my opinion the pic is enhanced. – single stack on February 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I agree. And, if an AR-15 or nearly any other modern automatic or semi-automatic weapon used the powder supposedly used in this shotgun, it would probably not function for very long.

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

rogerb on February 3, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Yeah.. Apparently Barry did a bad job with the whole grammar thing.

Illinidiva on February 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM

single stack on February 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I’m wondering if they made custom shells just for that photo. The smoke is the proof that he actually shot the gun, so let’s make some shells that put out smoke.

petefrt on February 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Long thread….I’m still desperately wishing that it’s much ado about nada.

verbaloon on February 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Edited for accuracy.

Del Dolemonte on February 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM

“I shoot skeet all the time. As a matter of fact we had skeet for dinner last night” ~ Barack Obama

iceman1960 on February 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

iceman1960 on February 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Were they out of dog?

cp3984 on February 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM

“KILL THE WABBIT, KILL THE WABBIT!!”

Hermeticus on February 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I would like to see some actual video footage of this skeet shooting event. My guess is it would be comedy gold!

iceman1960 on February 3, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I bet as a kid Obama thought you were supposed to shoot the dog when he played “Duck Hunt” on his Nintendo.

iceman1960 on February 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM

“You can run, Michelle, but you’ll only die tied.”

NoPain on February 3, 2013 at 9:49 AM

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 9:11 AM

So either they Photoshopped the smoke in, or Photoshopped the smoke from the other set of ports out?

Then if the volume/color of smoke is odd, probably they Photoshopped it in?

petefrt on February 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Shoot. I meant “tired.”

NoPain on February 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM

From now on we must refer to it as the buttcheekstock. Capiche?

mike_NC9 on February 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM

heh, gotcha. ;)

dogsoldier on February 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Then if the volume/color of smoke is odd, probably they Photoshopped it in? – petefrt on February 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM

That would be my assumption. Some dumbass underling Photoshopped the smoke.

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I

No. The smoke plume from the ports is the giveaway. It’s physically impossible to have a large smoke plume from only one side, with nothing ejected from the other set of ports.
A ported shotgun barrel is simply a hollow tube with two sets of holes drilled in it, one on each side of the vertical centerline, equally distant from the end. As the wad passes them some of the powder gas escapes through the holes. There is nothing to direct the gas to one set of holes and not the other, so the gas must escape from both sets of holes equally.

single stack on February 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM

You would think his handlers would round up an expert adviser or two to train the Zero about what to wear, how to stand, aim, etc, as well as using fake shells and photoshop.

Because the net result is this:

That picture is about as effective as Dukakis in a tank.

Ellis on February 3, 2013 at 8:09 AM

You are quite correct.

dogsoldier on February 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Long thread….much ado about nada.
But kudos to some of the conspiracy theories.
Always fun to read those.

verbaluce on February 3, 2013 at 9:08 AM

You still haven’t told me your favorite flavor of Kool-Aid. Also, do you use knee pads?

I’m just wondering what it is like to be a full on cultist. It’s the closest I’ll get to experiencing North Korea.

Illinidiva on February 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM

single stack on February 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM

dogsoldier on February 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

It looks to me like they may have done both. Faked, specially made shells and photoshop. But why? – dogsoldier on February 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I don’t think they would have made speciality shells, but I do think some dumbass White House underling thought it might be a good idea to Photoshop some phony smoke into the picture. Someone who knows nothing about modern firearms.

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Doesn’t shooting all that skeet and polluting smoke stuff contribute to global climate change?

Don L on February 3, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Barry probably did fire a shot or two but the pictures just didn’t look like what someone who knows nothing about shotguns, and may have never actually seen one fired, thought it should look like, so they enhanced it to make it look cool to the low info nitwits.
I don’t believe this picture was made at the actual moment of firing (no indications of recoil in his body, see my explanation of the problem with the smoke from the ports above).

single stack on February 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM

“KILL THE WABBIT, KILL THE WABBIT!!”

Hermeticus on February 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Now I’m going to have to go to youtube, find that one, and watch it. : )

listens2glenn on February 3, 2013 at 11:14 AM

” I have hit more skeet than I have hit fairways.”

percysunshine on February 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM

@Single stack, thanks for your explanation. I looked at a larger photo on the WH flickr photos and saw ports on the left side of the barrel and wondered why there wasn’t smoke also on the left.

GrannySunni on February 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Skinny dumbass…

Pest on February 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM

1./ LOL @ Liz. Far better stance than Lord O.
2./ The smoke thing is suspect. Yes it was 1/320 of a second. That much smoke does not appear and disappear in the blink of an eye.
3./ It was some kind of special load, probably a blank.
4./ They already called us gun birthers in anticipation of people saying what is obvious – BULLSHIT!

CorporatePiggy on February 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM

That looks like a nice gun, an expensive one. Our POTUS for the people is using a damn one percenter gun, while I’m stuck hunting turkey, deer, pheasant, and shooting clays with my Remington 870 I bought at Dick’s. Where’s Occupy?

Pope Linus on February 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

..the Cheney’s held garage sales?

The War Planner on February 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM

“This bong is great for chooming but get your own!! I henceforth decree that it be named ‘the long bong’”.
“So let it be written and …. uh…..make it so!”

Sherman1864 on February 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM

The smaller the member, the bigger the gun

DBear on February 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM

rogerb on February 3, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Who’d have guess he was a Left-hander?

Browncoatone on February 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM

That pic is fake.
Period.

justltl on February 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I only shot shotguns as a girl to get my hunter’s safety test, and I did not get any EARMUFFS! What a baby Obama is.

Fleuries on February 3, 2013 at 1:33 PM

“Hey! How come they always come out with the orange side on top??”

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM

“Does that mean that Moochelle can’t eat them either???”

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM

The smaller the member, the bigger the gun

DBear on February 3, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Photo caption winner!!!

Close the thread.

Schadenfreude on February 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

“What do you mean “you don’t have anything wider than cylinder?”"

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Close the thread.

Schadenfreude on February 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Screw that, I’ve got a couple hours to kill!

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM

“And there’s no way to put a few more pellets in each one???”

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 2:29 PM

“Errr, just load ‘em back in the thrower…”

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 2:32 PM

“WOW, did you see the wind take that one?”

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 2:34 PM

” Hey, You guys are SUPPOSED to be within 10 feet of me at ALL times!!!”

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 2:36 PM

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM

And, Badass Lilibet even wears white gloves…

Resist We Much on February 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM

“Remember guys, you draw your weapons whenever Boehner is on station”

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 2:44 PM

“You mean I’m NOT supposed to subtract 5 from the total?”

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

“What?!…WHAT?!…I said it’s UNLOADED”

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 3:01 PM

“What’s that you said?? Something about HOT GAS???”

WryTrvllr on February 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM

shooting Skeet out of season is illegal

MrMoe on February 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Looks like POTUS is shooting trap, not skeet. Skeet shooting takes skill.

An Objectivist on February 3, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Could someone explain to the Constitutional Scholar that the 2nd Amendment has nothing to do with Skeet Shooting, Hunting, or any other sporting event and everything to do with protecting the people from their government and personal protection of their lives against people who would wish them harm.

It’s not an argument about “why do you need a 30 round magazine?” when the government has all of that plus automatic weapons. In fact, I would bet a case could be made for bringing back automatic weapons, if we were to really look at the 2nd Amendment as it was written and for the purpose it was written.

Obama’s skeet shooting has nothing to do with this debate. NOw, if he were still living in Chicago, didn’t have 24 hour Secret Service Protection, and didn’t live in a gated community, would he be willing to live in some of those neighborhoods without being armed? Let’s see how the “constitutional scholar” answers that one. Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

bflat879 on February 3, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I should have said that trap is easier for beginners.

Taken from a shooting forum post:
Trap: Easier to learn, harder to master.
Skeet: Harder to learn, easier to master.

An Objectivist on February 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Bammy’s Got A Gun! (Pics)

M2RB: Aerosmith

Resist We Much on February 3, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Some dumbass underling Photoshopped the smoke.

SC.Charlie on February 3, 2013 at 10:10 AM

You think that picture’s bad. You shouldha’ seen the first version.

petefrt on February 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Patrick Dollard ‏@PatDollard

Buzz Claim: Obama Skeet Shooting Fraud Proven http://is.gd/4sUaQE

petefrt on February 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Patrick Dollard ‏@PatDollard

Buzz Claim: Obama Skeet Shooting Fraud Proven http://is.gd/4sUaQE

petefrt on February 3, 2013 at 4:15 PM

7 reasons why it’s a Photoshop:

The 7 reasons have to do with Dear Leader’s stance, how he is “holding” the gun, etc.

Del Dolemonte on February 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM

7 reasons why it’s a Photoshop

Del Dolemonte on February 3, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Thanks. Yep, the almost backward leaning stance was what jumped out at me about that photo. At first I thought maybe it was the recoil that set him on his heels.

petefrt on February 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I’ve shot and seen shot thousands of shotgun shells. I guided at and managed goose hunting clubs for years. Shot hundreds of rounds dove hunting… same load as a skeet round..never saw this much smoke..and there’s no recoil at all.

Do they know or think the majority of shooters aren’t going to notice this? did they put it out as bait thinking the majority of the public would believe their “skeeters” mocking? Either way that is one weird bunch in that White House very worrisome.

bluesdoc70 on February 3, 2013 at 5:32 PM

The only reason he shot skeet is because it was FREE for him and the rest of us paid for it. Just like all the other “perks” he and his family have been milking from us for over 4 years now and for another 4. I bet he has not played as many rounds of golf in his entire life as he has in the last 4 years because it is FREE.

turbeda on February 3, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Caption contest entry:

“Oh my God, he killed Kenny!”

“You bastard!”

The Rogue Tomato on February 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

White House: When President shoots skeet, he donates the meat to food banks that feed the middle class ~ The People’s Cube

petefrt on February 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Illinidiva on February 3, 2013 at 10:16 AM

He’s been waiting for someone, anyone, to notice him.

It’s either he does this or change his Depends.

itsspideyman on February 3, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Photo caption winner!!!

Close the thread.

Schadenfreude on February 3, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I second that.

CurtZHP on February 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM

In a brutal but stimulating game of skeet, Obama uses Republicans as clay pigeons.

Hermeticus on February 3, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Psst, Rahm, those “headphones” are great–I can listen to Beyonce lip-synch while you coach the photographer.

Don L on February 4, 2013 at 6:46 AM

President pantywaist…

Pest on February 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Photoshop.

justltl on February 4, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Will a student get suspended for having this picture on their laptop screen?

topdog on February 4, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Is the photo of Obama firing the shotgun a fake? I do not think so. What worries me a bit is all the self proclaimed experts that seem to be missing the point. First what is the make and model of the ShotGun? It appears to be a Winchester model 101 Pigeon Trap Select made in Belgian. The nickel plated receiver and classic engraving is kind of a give a way as is the red chock system in the barrels. The Model 101 is unique in that it is vented only on the right side and give a very low recoil. When the Shotgun is in storage it has a light coating of gun oil or break free on it. Smokeless power dose smoke a little and the first round will burn off the extra oil coating causing the puffs of smoke.

Nothing any ware is saying that he is shooting a regulation course. Only that he is shooting a shoot gun and has shot skeet.

The picture and the timing maybe intended to miss lead the public but the photo is real.

jpcpt03 on February 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM

This photo is Obama’s version of the one of Michael Dukakis in a tank…

easyt65 on February 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM

jpcpt03 on February 4, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I’m amazed that he seems to be shooting across some type of path of travel.

rogerb on February 4, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Sarah Palin fans encourage President Obama to shoot like a girl

M.Joseph Sheppard @MJosephSheppard
Photo of Palin with gun=unmitigated evil. Photo of Obama with gun today=exemplary person
10:07 PM – 02 Feb 13

The president is rocking some mom jeans in that newly released skeet shooting photo, but many are suggesting he needs more than that if he really wants to shoot like a girl. Gun control advocates are quick to say they have no problem with people owning guns to hunt, and yet Twitter mobs urged Team USA shooter Corey Cogdell to shoot herself after she posted hunting photos to Facebook. Sarah Palin has been bombarded with hate tweets as well for posting hunting pics.

Won’t anyone think of the poor skeet? Is President Obama beyond reproach because he shoots clay targets (like, all the time)? Or has he just not convinced Americans that they’d have a very hard time prying that rifle/shotgun/whatever from his warm, live hands?

P Flynn Anderson @middlemom
To learn which end of the gun is which, Obama watched Sarah Palin on TV.
2:00 AM – 03 Feb 13

JMOKC @JMOKC
Sarah Palin with proper skeet shooting form. Note to Obama, you do NOT fire gun at this level. pic.twitter.com/i5Rs5ybe
6:06 PM – 02 Feb 13

WisConservative @CarterFliptMe
White House Warns: Don’t Photoshop Obama Gun Pic http://j.mp/YsgnDm #tcot #gop #p2 #topprog #ctl #TeaParty #lnyhbt #tgdn #war

Suz @Suzyqforu
@CarterFliptMe Warns? So I guess it was ok to photoshop the former guv of AK Palin in a bikini with a gun. The old double standard.
8:52 PM – 02 Feb 13

Did someone say double standard?

NeoKong @The_NeoKong
Photo: Sarah Palin with a gun. Crazy gun nut. Photo: Barack Obama with a gun. Eat that one right-wing bitches. No…no double standards.
8:14 PM – 02 Feb 13

Assuming they’re used for hunting clay targets only, are guns cool now or not?

Melissia @ProudoftheUSA
#NextWhiteHousePhoto Obama and Palin, in the helicopter, hunting coyotes together.
4:48 PM – 02 Feb 13

Randy Kessler @BarryNMooch
#NextWhiteHousePhoto With Sarah Palin and her Dad Caribou hunting
5:23 PM – 02 Feb 13

Emily Zanotti @emzanotti
Obama is like the only person on Earth who looks less cool holding a gun.
1:33 AM – 03 Feb 13

Jim Treacher @jtLOL
High-school freshman suspended for having a picture of a gun: http://dailycaller.com/2013/02/02/high-school-freshman-suspended-for-having-a-picture-of-a-gun/ … And yet @DavidGregory can commit an actual gun crime.

Anthony Ball @acbnok
@jtLOL well at least we now have one gun picture that would be safe to carry in school
6:33 PM – 02 Feb 13

Good point. Obama’s a hero to millions — how many kids will he inspire to take up shooting with this awesome pic?

ChuckTX on February 4, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I’d bet the farm that this picture is totaly photoshopped. I agree that their is wayyyy too much smoke coming out of that shot gun. And, if anyone who has ever shot a rifle/shot gun knows, you don’t hold it as high up on your shoulder as this bozzo is doing. After a half dozen shots, his shoulder would be killing him.
This is probably why there is only 1 picture available, He probably said, “F this, I’m outta here”, after fealing the recoil from the first round.
The date on the picture is of no consequence, it could have easily been modified, if that meant anything.

gunter on February 4, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I see we have another poser spewing bulls**t.

Nickel receivers and engraving are common on over/unders, even on lower grade guns. My $400 Remington 310 had it. Red chokes are unique to the Invector Signature Plus system but the choke tube in the gun Barry’s holding in the picture is gold colored.

You should learn some terminology before you spew crap, like the difference between venting and porting. Ribs are vented, barrels are ported. The Model 101 has vented top and side ribs, and ported barrels, as do many O/U shotguns. There is a set of ports on BOTH SIDES of the barrel. NO gunmaker only ports one side, NONE. It would push the gun to the side rather than limiting muzzle rise. The whole purpose of porting is to make the gun recoil straight back into the shoulder for faster following shots. The porting on the left side of the barrel in Barry’s picture is clear when the picture is enlarged.

Even an excessively oiled bore (an extremely dangerous condition which can raise pressure enough to blow the gun up) won’t produce the large puffs of white smoke seen in Barry’s picture.

This video shows several shots being fired. The large plumes of white smoke are conspicuous by their absence.

I don’t doubt that Barry’s handlers put together a photo op in which he actually pulled the trigger on a shotgun, maybe even more than once (snicker). But the picture they released is obviously manipulated.

single stack on February 4, 2013 at 1:49 PM

“Spot of tea anyone?”

“While squeezing the trigger, Gentleman, remember pinky fingers

OUT.”

“PUSH!!”

kilwil888 on February 4, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I miss my old light twelve. :( Sweet kitten of a gun, but I guarantee she’d bite you if you squeezed her like that.

S. D. on February 4, 2013 at 6:29 PM

The CEO of Browning says that the moron is probably shooting a Browning Citori.

justltl on February 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Obowma usually shoots from the hip.

dthorny on February 5, 2013 at 12:27 AM