Great news: Obama shot a skeet once, or something

posted at 2:31 pm on February 2, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama recently told the New Republic that he understands the concerns of gun owners, because “in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time.”  As critics chortled over both the notion that skeet shooting is what concerns gun owners and the idea that Obama shoots clay pigeons “all the time,” the White House has finally released a photo to back up its claim … and only one photo, dated August 12, 2012:

That led to a barrage of questions from journalists about whether the White House could offer proof that the president had gone shooting. It also led a Republican congresswoman to issue a challenge for a shoot-off. The White House has not responded to the challenge, but it has now uploaded this image[.]

And here it is:

Fox News reported earlier this week that there’s not likely to be more photos:

News of President Obama’s apparently long-secret fondness for skeet shooting came as a surprise to those who say they have witnessed the president’s “awkward” attempts at pinging the (clay) pigeons.

This has only happened with the president at Camp David, at most, a couple of times, according to a source who says he has been to the retreat on a half-dozen visits with Obama.

“The only time he shot skeet was for President’s Cup,” said the source, referring to a shooting competition tradition involving the presidential Marine guards. “I was there. He stayed for about five minutes, and couldn’t leave fast enough.”

Skeet shooting “is very hard,” said the source. “Especially for someone not used to guns … He couldn’t have been more uncomfortable.”

The source said a friend of his recalled Obama skeet shooting one other time at Camp David — very early on in his first term.

That didn’t stop Obama’s advisers from bragging about the photo this morning, though, and sneering at “skeeters” (via Twitchy and Weekly Standard):

I’ve done plenty of target shooting, but I’ve never gone skeet shooting. Nor is that the reason why most gun owners want their rights respected.  The publication of the photo, and especially the defensive attitude of Obama’s advisers, speaks volumes about their insecurity on the gun-rights issue.

But this certainly makes for a great weekend Caption Contest.  Have at it in the comments!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

So now the white House is ridiculing “skeeters”. There new word for constitutionalists. This is a very immature and bizarre bunch. Was Obama being a “skeeter” or just a panderer? Or more likly trying to understand the “bitter” clingers. Does he play pretend religion also? Everything about this man is pretentious.

pat on February 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Why is an invitation to shoot skeet with the president by Rep. Blackburn childish? Is it childish when he invites Boehner to play golf?

Cindy Munford on February 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Agreed, whole heartily as a matter of fact, well, I am going with maybe we should have a national consumption tax instead, built in of course, but other than that I agree with it all, hell I will even go with once a year, all at once, just have it collected at the state level and they deal with the Feds. I was more shooting for the distrust issue, adding to your already superlative list of examples as to why we should be distrustful and more rugged individualist, instead of collective thinkers:)

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Yea, sure.
I actually wish they hadn’t released the photo.
Now we we won’t have as many conspiracy theories to entertain.
Of course…we’ll still have some.
We’ll always have some….

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Yes. I am sure that, now, y’all hadn’t released that stupid photo.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Is your last name “nonactivus”?

I had a good day. I just met a server going on her 5th child.

I tipped her very well.

WryTrvllr on February 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

No, I’m guessing Bark is an avid shotgunner, you can tell because he’s ripping off a 12ga round standing practically straight up.

He spent the rest of the day having Plouffe rub Mentholatum on his back and shoulder.

Bishop on February 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

YOU’ did.
Deny it all you want…I know you will.
Obama was asked a question. He gave a simple answer, and a perfectly modest one. Wasn’t saying anything more than he’s shot some skeet.
And the collective panties of you and yours go into full twist mode.
And what’s the issue now…that he’s not good at skeet shooting or something?

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM

He said he did it all the time, which is a lie. His golf swing is pathetic and he throws a baseball like a girl. The only thing he’s good at is demagoguery.

Basilsbest on February 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM

As long as you’re clear now.
You’re ok with the legit pic…right?

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Ok, OK, I’ve got one

“Say hello to my only friend!”

WryTrvllr on February 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Cindy Munford on February 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Owww…that was a body blow.

Bishop on February 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Basilsbest on February 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Let it all out…let it all out…

P.S. My daughters throw like girls. And they’re damn good players.
Better than plenty of boys.

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

FORE!!!

Flange on February 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

philly_PA on February 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Right you are.

Birthday. Check.
Golf. Check.
Flies to Camp David. Check.

Lots of time for his beloved skeet shooting that day, I’m sure.

Opinionator on February 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I’m pretty sure the weapon in the picture is Michelle’s bowcaster.

tom daschle concerned on February 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Cindy Munford on February 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM

If you see no difference…well then I guess for you it’s all the same.

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Basilsbest on February 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Let it all out…let it all out…

P.S. My daughters throw like girls. And they’re damn good players.
Better than plenty of boys.
(Maybe I’ll get support here for that?)

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I’m going Wabbit Hunting!!! But I haven’t got a wicense to shoot a fwicasseeing wabbit. I’ll kill the wabbit! Awise storm! North wind bwow! South wind bwow! Huwwicanes! Typhoons! Earthquakes! *Smog!* Fall the seas! Cool the Earth!!!

Silvergoat on February 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Obvious photoshop. His Mom jeans are dry.

onomo on February 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

As long as you’re clear now.
You’re ok with the legit pic…right?

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I’m fine with it. I don’t buy that he shoots skeet “all of the time,” but then I have brothers and an ex-husband.

My problem was with The New Republic, Politico, etc, pushing an obviously photoshopped pic claiming that it CAME FROM THE WHITE HOUSE. Anyone looking at it would know that it was not a picture from Camp David. You didn’t even have to be an expert on shooting or look at the clothing/lack of proper accessories/stance to know.

Camp David is very secluded. The press doesn’t get to just roam around taking pictures and neither does the public. Obama is followed by the official White House photographer. The quality of the photo should have been the first indication to the idiots over at TNR, but they were too busy trying to “show us.”

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

He’s doing it wrong anyway.

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Cindy Munford on February 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Just as a reminder –
here’s was your angle a few days ago:

Pictures or it didn’t happen.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM

But like many…you have a new angle now?

(Apologies to rogerb)

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM

If you see no difference…well then I guess for you it’s all the same.

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

That’s one of Obama’s big problems. He doesn’t even socialise with members of his own Party very often.

Other Presidents had wider social circles during their time in office so that they could build relationships and alliances.

The fact that Marsha Blackburn isn’t Speaker would not have kept other Presidents from considering inviting her to shoot skeet at Camp David.

Obama has always said that he wanted to change the atmosphere in DC. Guess not. Even Democrats bytch and moan about the fact that they never hear from him or get invited to the WH.

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

The fake pic you ref is so obviously fake – anyone who took it as real is, as you’re wont to call me, an idiot.

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

“Calm down Barry. A lot of people miss with the first box. The SS guy will be all right.He just got too close is all. We got you the special presidential shotgun with the chimney. And we let Mrs. Presidente pick out the color of your shells. Try to shoot this one while it is still moving. Pretend it is Netenyahu. He is a slippery fellow you know”

pat on February 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Guys…I’m off to shoot some skeet.
I’ll be sure to take pics.

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Haven’t read all the comments, so this may be a repeat:Someone on FreeRepublic pointed something out that I’d completely missed. The skeets must be really low. (LOL!)

Or, that he’s waiting for them to be at the end of the shot…..either way, bystanders are in trouble.

HAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAAAA
HAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHHAAAAAAAA
snort, chuckle, snort…….OHHHHH my sides…..

avagreen on February 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Guys…I’m off to shoot some skeet.
I’ll be sure to take pics.

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

good. when you get back you can tell us how many stands there are, and what you “option” is.

WryTrvllr on February 2, 2013 at 5:55 PM

@ Cindy Munford on February 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

“See, I told you. Very nice.”

Purr…

Jabba The Cat on February 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM

It was nice of him to fulfill the request applied to everything on the internet on an hourly basis. Didn’t the press ask about photo evidence also? Are they childish? And why is it an “angle” or childish to ask him to do something he has said he has enjoyed in the past. Geesh, so touchy when we refuse to genuflect, you are almost as thin skinned as he is.

Cindy Munford on February 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

and why they put the low house on the left side.

WryTrvllr on February 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM

When you shoot skeet, don’t your point upwards? This shot looks like it would hit the guy running the skeet machine.

PortlandJon on February 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Oh sh*& it went off! I wasn’t even aiming yet!… please don’t make me looks stupid.

aniptofar on February 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Owww…that was a body blow.

Bishop on February 2, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Will there be blood?

VegasRick on February 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:47 PM

It came from The New Republic (If you want the embedded photo link, then you’ll have to go back to my blog. It won’t post here for some reason):

PHOTO: Obama shooting skeet at Camp David. … (from whitehouse.gov)

— The New Republic (@tnr) January 29, 2013<

The only problem: the picture is a fake, and not hosted on the White House’s website.

After Politico and others had run with it even though we tried to point out that the photo was obviously FAKE, the magazine had deleted the tweet and admitted its mistake:

We see it! We see it! Not the White House!

— The New Republic (@tnr) January 29, 2013

And then the magazine blamed Twitter for its mistake:

OK, everyone. Apologies. Twitter sometimes leads to quick accidents.

— The New Republic (@tnr) January 29, 2013

Yeah, TWITTER caused them to claim that they had gotten a LAUGHABLY BAD, PHOTOSHOPPED PIC of Obama in golf clothes “shooting skeet” WITH A GOLF GLOVE HANGING OUT OF HIS POCKET from the White House.

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Why is he shooting horizontally?

Galt2009 on February 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM

He’s shooting the competition so that he’s the only one left and wins by default. It’s called “cheating”. It’s what he does best.

The Rogue Tomato on February 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

The man never drank a Duff in his life.

Phoenix7 on February 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Didn’t the press ask about photo evidence also? Are they childish?

Cindy Munford on February 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Yes. Jessica Yellin of CNN asked The Spokeskid if there were any photos of Obama shooting skeet.

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I’d love to see the next photo where Barky is on the ground from the recoil.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 2, 2013 at 2:36 PM

With a black and blue cheek. Heh.

Cleombrotus on February 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Proud: http://dcprotestwarrior.blogspot.com/

davidk on February 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Gotta be fake…You know every fly in Maryland would be on him.

bluesdoc70 on February 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM

HA!

“At this point, what difference does it make?” – Verbadouche

ghostwalker1 on February 2, 2013 at 6:12 PM

What’s next- obamunist wearing a wife beater t shirt on a tricycle?

Philo Beddoe on February 2, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Darn I missed the easy one

” He shot a skeet…….once”

WryTrvllr on February 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

That can’t possibly be his own ported over-under. Did the friend who loaned this thing to him not care enough to explain even the basics of how to hold the gun? Gotta love how about half the stick is above his shoulder, and the gun is resting way too far out.

It’s great timing on the pic though, to catch the blast like that.

TexasDan on February 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

The date he was supposedly killing that dangerous skeet, was acually his birthday.

President Barack Obama celebrated his 51st birthday on Saturday with a round of golf, then helicoptered to the Camp David presidential retreat for a quiet evening off the campaign trail.

Obama, an avid golfer, played with colleagues and friends at the Andrews Air Force Base in hot, muggy weather conditions before taking Marine One to Maryland’s Catoctin Mountains in the afternoon.

The White House did not release details of the president’s evening plans or share the menu for the birthday meal he was expected to share with wife, Michelle.

Their daughters were at summer camp this week and it was not clear whether they would be present at the rustic getaway that the Obamas have visited less than past White House residents. The president often opts to golf at Andrews or play basketball in downtown Washington to unwind on the weekends.

Explain that, verbose one.

kingsjester on February 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I wish Obama would invite Dick Cheney to “do some skeet shooting”.

SpiderMike on February 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM

caption: Why am I always shooting to the left?

MidWestFarmer on February 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Guys…I’m off to shoot some skeet.
I’ll be sure to take pics.

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Try to shoot them while they’re in the air, m’kay? Not at head height, m’kay? Unless you take some other trolls with ya, of course. Have fun, and good luck!

Midas on February 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

It’s great timing on the pic though, to catch the blast like that.

TexasDan on February 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

He has some big ugly “shooting” glasses on, but it looks like his eye is actually too low to see the sights.

tom daschle concerned on February 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I was more shooting for the distrust issue..

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

To my mind it is one and the same. When we have witholding taxes (where we get back what we should not have paid) we trust that the government. If we revert to a system where we only have to pay a tax bill once a year and not get them to pay our bill forward, then the public takes back the leverage.

I don’t trust the government and yet there is nothing I really can do about the outcomes. Returning to a system where we fund the government once a year would be a fundamental change.

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Sorry if this has been touched on before, but here goes. He’s standing straight up, so the recoil will likely send him backwards. He’s sighting down the barrel of the weapon, not on the target. The only exception would be if he was shooting at a target straight ahead. He has no padding on his shoulder; that will leave a mark. I get the smoke coming out of the front of the barrel, but out of the side? Also, that much smoke would likely obscure a second target when released. Maybe not for an amatuer like one of us, but for someone who shoots competently as a hobbyist you would want to avoid that. If anything, this proves that the gun rights people are winning the fight. Maybe it would have meant more if some children were present to add to the effect.

RPL on February 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM

He’s clearly firing back at Manchin.

From the PuffPost:

The Huffington Post Nick WIng First Posted: 10/11/10 04:53 PM ET Updated: 05/25/11 07:00 PM ET

West Virginia Senate candidate Joe Manchin continues to shape the narrative of his campaign around direct opposition to the Obama administration with a new ad that pushes dual themes of gun rights and pro-coal legislation by taking aim — literally, with a rifle — at cap-and-trade legislation.

“As your Senator, I’ll protect your Second Amendment rights,” Manchin says. “That’s why the NRA endorsed me.”

Manchin continues:

“I’ll take on Washington and this administration to get the federal government off of our back and out of our pockets. I’ll cut federal spending and I’ll repeal the bad parts of Obamacare. I sued EPA and I’ll take dead aim at the cap-and-trade bill.”

The West Virginia Governor and Democratic candidate then shoots a hole through the middle of the bill, “because it’s bad for West Virginia,” Manchin concludes.

Manchin began his clear shift away from Obama earlier this month after national Republicans and his GOP opponent, John Raese, launched an ad campaign aggressively painting him as a rubber stamp for the President.

Last week, Manchin’s campaign announced that he would indeed favor repealing the parts of the president’s health care overhaul that “allow for the funding of abortions and the provisions that are cumbersome to small businesses.”

Later that week, Gov. Manchin filed suit against the Obama administration’s supposed “attempts to destroy the coal mining industry” as allegedly perpetrated by the EPA’s efforts to regulate water quality in extraction areas.

Manchin has claimed that the suit had nothing to do with his Senate campaign.

Two libtard fakes, if there EVAH was.

GreatCommunicator on February 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

tom daschle concerned on February 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

There are no sights on a shotgun (generally). And the gun rises during the shot, so I wouldn’t make much of his head alignment at the precise moment this picture was taken. But he should be leaning a fair bit forward. The reason he can’t get the gun stock in the right spot while getting his cheek down on it is that he’s standing bolt upright, firing a custom gun fitted to someone else.

TexasDan on February 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Proud: http://dcprotestwarrior.blogspot.com/

davidk on February 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM

If you did not read this, please take the time to do it. So funny.

Barred on February 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

The smoke coming out of the side is from the ports. It’s a recoil-reduction modification to the barrel. Small holes that redirect some of the gasses from the load as it passes out of the muzzle.

There is absolutely nothing in this picture that makes me think he looks “comfortable” as so many of his defenders are saying. He’s standing straight up and down, he’s holding the gun way too tight, his front hand is way too weak, and he certainly doesn’t appear to be shooting skeet, which involves swinging the gun from side to side.

jr.ewing.78 on February 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Dare some high school kid to print this hoto on a t-shirt and wear it to school on Monday…will he be expelled or not?

albill on February 2, 2013 at 6:33 PM

RPL on February 2, 2013 at 6:25 PM

It’s a ported barrel. By allowing some of the gasses to vent out the top you get a slight downward push in the barrel, minimizing climb.

TexasDan on February 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

TexasDan on February 2, 2013 at 6:31 PM

On top of the barrel about two inches in front of Obama’s forward hand is a bead sight. That would be lined up with the fiber optic fluorescent green sight on the top of the front of the barrel.

Typical shotgun sights.

The sightline from the bottom of the front sight passes thru the weapon if you draw it to Obama’s eye.

tom daschle concerned on February 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 4:21 PM

You see, this is why you make such a soft piñata, you cannot tell the truth even in small things because that would undermine your position.

This lying POTUS whom you seem to adore, in a fit of pandering to try to hide his desire to abrogate the second amendment, did not say he “shot some skeet”. He said that at Camp David, “they shot skeet all the time. This was a blatant lie, just like your postings. They then released this photo that shows someone not comfortable with shooting and definitely betraying the all the time story.

AZfederalist on February 2, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Interesting. That appears to b a Browning Citori Sporting Clays model. It’s got a Midas Grade extended choke in the top barrel and either no choke or a flush mount choke in the bottom barrel. Typically you’d shoot the bottom barrel first, but they are selectable. Typically the bottom barrel would have a more open choke and the top barrel tighter. Typically too, most folks would have a Midas Grade choke in both barrels. It’s not like the government can’t afford it the way they spend our money.

claudius on February 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Aren’t skeet endangered?

virgo on February 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Agreed, I have no trust in them, especially with all I have seen these past 25 years, which in a way I feel like it is a self licking ice cream cone, I pay in taxes to pay my paycheck, not sure how to even classify that. No your right, returning to that system would be best, or at least an easier bridge to cross in this climate, then to institute something more radical, say like a fair tax.

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Cindy Munford, you are a sharpshooter, you are on target! Question – the smoke coming from the side of the barrel I don’t get. Should it not be coming out of Hugo Choom’s ass? Yo, whass up?

philoise65 on February 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Aren’t skeet endangered?

virgo on February 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

not at Camp David

WryTrvllr on February 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

My cheek is smarting just looking at that picture… but the wrists and hand size… there is something just wrong about them and their proportions. Even edge-on my niece’s wrists, and she is closer to the ‘waif’ end of body proportions and 6′ tall, has a thicker wrist than this man has.

Out of all the Obama pics and even the p-shops, this one is just plain creepy and faintly Lovecraftian. Not just off but wrong.

ajacksonian on February 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

claudius on February 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I think you are correct sir!

Around $3000?

tom daschle concerned on February 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Bishop on February 2, 2013 at 5:36 PM

It ,ay just be me, but that stock looks a bit high on his shoulder. He didn’t fire many rounds like that I’ll wager.

dogsoldier on February 2, 2013 at 6:54 PM

One last thing, because I can’t quite make it out; are those shooting glasses or wrap around sun glasses?

RPL on February 2, 2013 at 7:01 PM

They are sunglasses and he has his face pressed too hard into the stock also. Either that shell was specially made for the photo op or his cheek is gonna hurt worse than his arm.

dogsoldier on February 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

It’s one staged photo on one day. That was obviously put together in case Obama needed it during the election campaign.

Obama said “all the time“. So Obama lied unless they show different photos from “all the time“.

Moesart on February 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

dogsoldier on February 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Great point. Not a shadow to be seen. Probably shooting into the sun for the cameras.

WryTrvllr on February 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Around $3000?

tom daschle concerned on February 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

About that I would guess. It’s probably one the most popular shotguns with the skeet and sporting clays crowd. I do upland hunting for the most part so I have a 20ga Browning White Lightning (obviously racist and red-neckish) for that purpose. Less money and lighter.

claudius on February 2, 2013 at 7:08 PM

A top official with the National Skeet Shooting Association said the photo suggests Obama is a novice shooter.

“This isn’t something he’s done very often because of how he’s standing, how he has the gun mounted,” said Michael Hampton, executive director of the San Antonio-based association.

Hampton said Obama’s remark about “skeet shooting all the time” and the White House photo would have met less skepticism had the president spoken about his hobby months before this new debate over guns in the U.S.

AP

mountainaires on February 2, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Ummmmm. Skeets…it’s what’s for dinner.

Solaratov on February 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Typical shotgun sights.

tom daschle concerned on February 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Okay, I couldn’t see that on my phone earlier. I would argue that a) that’s not generally the way bead sights work–you get one bead a the very end of the barrel on a “typical” setup, and you don’t “line it up” with anything further back and b) I still wouldn’t do a whole lot of “up and to the back” analysis when the gun was in the act of recoiling for the picture, as far as his head position. But yeah, it’s low.

The dark glasses probably cover for the fact that his eyes were closed.

TexasDan on February 2, 2013 at 7:14 PM

dogsoldier on February 2, 2013 at 7:04 PM

From now on we must refer to it as the buttcheekstock. Capiche?

mike_NC9 on February 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Isn’t he supposed to be holding it sideways?

catmman on February 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM

verbulance. So do you get to choose the flavor of koolaid?? I’m just wondering because if fanatically choosing my own suicide I’d go with fruit punch.

Illinidiva on February 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I am left eye dominant but shoot right handed. When I took the into to shotgun shooting class that came up as an issue and the instructor made an eye-patch out of cardboard from the box he shells which worked for the class but he encouraged me to learn how to shoot left handed.

I had a good teacher, POTUS in this picture did not.

F15Mech on February 2, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Aren’t skeet endangered?

virgo on February 2, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Not as long as they’re around Obama or Verbaluce…

Guys…I’m off to shoot some skeet.
I’ll be sure to take pics.

verbaluce on February 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Deanna on February 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I’m still a little puzzled by this picture.

Admittedly I do not have one of those fine looking shotguns, but why is he standing like that and what on earth is he shooting at?

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Also, what gives with the smoke?

I need DF to explain what this is all about.

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 7:38 PM

How many doubles does Obama have? My guess is that an Obama double shot the weapon in the last couple of days and then they photoshopped the background in.

SC.Charlie on February 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

First media headline: Obama Pictured With Machine Gun Assault Weapon

Moesart on February 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Here’s my entry:

“Lying, narcissistic, corrupt, communist, anti-American, despicable racist who is married to a lardass of the same general characteristics, who by some weird twist of fate became the worst president ever, photoshopped into a picture (that makes no sense whatsoever) of him supposedly shooting a shotgun.”

justltl on February 2, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I sense a Photoshop meme of Obama really doing starting up.

Moesart on February 2, 2013 at 7:49 PM

CP,

The smoke is generated from the combustion of the powder.

It’s coming from the top because the barrel is ported, venting gases from the top which helps control muzzle rise.

Go obviously fired the gun.

Of course, I’ve never seen skeet at eye level…

Perhaps he was shooting the hidden 2nd Amendment supporter hidden amongst the trees al la James Bond in ‘Moonraker’?

catmman on February 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM

“Shaddup Mooch. AlGore taught me that hunting road signs is easy.”

viking01 on February 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM

“Barry, you shot the dog.”

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

“Barry, you shot the dog.”

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Alright! We’re dining in tonight Michelle!

AZfederalist on February 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I have no argument with the smoke coming out of the side of the barrel — This venting is done to reduce the kick-back in high powered weapons. However, that was really good timing to catch that picture at just the instant it fired and belched all that smoke.

And if that is the instant the gun fired, why are we not seeing a picture of His Highness knocked ignominiously down on his royal butt from the recoil? Not to mention, considering the fact that his cheek is tight up against the stock, he should have had a ferociously painful bruise on the side of his face afterwards.

Oh, and his elbow is low, his body position is awkward and if he is shooting skeet, somebody tacked it to a target. I’ve never shot skeet, but I’ve handled my father-in-law’s rifle, and I’ve seen others shoot skeet. You’re supposed to shoot upward, not horizontally.

I’d say that whoever decided that this picture was a good idea doesn’t know much about guns. and there is a high probability that Obama’s people did a little photo-shopping of their own before it was released.

hachiban on February 2, 2013 at 8:01 PM

CP,

The smoke is generated from the combustion of the powder.

Go obviously fired the gun.

Of course, I’ve never seen skeet at eye level…

catmman on February 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM

I’m familiar with shotguns, ported barrels, skeet, powder choices, factory loads, and so forth.

It’s an odd picture…

I don’t want to go all Trump on this but when you fire a shotgun, even a fancy one, you don’t have plumes of smoke coming out. We invented smokeless powder about a hundred years ago.

Can you make a shotgun smoke? Absolutely! Get it hot and run a lot of rounds through it.

Quickly.

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

“Barry, you shot the dog.”

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 7:54 PM

As Sherman the Shark said: Poodle, the other white meat.

ajacksonian on February 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Then again this could be a single frame taken from a camera shooting at thousands of frames per second. Maybe it really does look like that if you make an effort.

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM

In releasing the photo, which the public owns, they said “The photograph may not be manipulated in any way.” There is something called the 1st Amendment, which protects the right to freedom of expression, something in the Bill of Rights that this administration disdains. By photoshopping the photo for parody, a photo which the public owns, I would think this would be constitutionally protected free speech.

Tripwhipper on February 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Obama’s a pathological liar.

disa on February 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Quickly.

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Actually ‘smokeless powder’ is a bit of a misnomer.

I’ve found Winchester ammo to have some really nice smoke coming from it, particularly down in 22lr, but their 12ga. slugs also show it, though not their 45ACP FMJs. Now what I’ve seen is more a black to gray smoke, not bluish, and travels out about 3′ for 22lr and 5′ for 12ga. by personal estimation, not actual get the tape measure out sort of deal. YMMV.

ajacksonian on February 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM