DIA brief: Show a little leg, ladies

posted at 5:31 pm on February 2, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

We *could* file this one under the “What Were They Thinking” category, but by this time I assume most of you have concluded that thinking is pretty much a lost art in Washington. Hot on the heels (hang on… there’s a pun for that coming up) of the decision to allow women in combat roles, The Defense Intelligence Agency ushered in a new briefing for employees showing that you might not have come such a long way after all, ladies. Their latest attempt at advising workers on office attire should be making the rounds of the late shows this week.

A week after women were cleared to serve in combat, Defense Intelligence Agency employees got a different message. “Makeup makes you more attractive.” “Don’t be a plain Jane.” “A sweater with a skirt is better than a sweater with slacks.” “No flats.” “Paint your nails.” “Don’t be afraid of color.” And, “brunettes have more leeway with vibrant colors than blondes or redheads.”

To their credit, agency officials quickly realized that somebody had missed a memo somewhere along the line.

Men and women at DIA were given fashion advice in a presentation prepared by an employee at the agency this week. Susan Strednansky, public affairs officer at DIA, offered the agency’s regrets about the briefing, which raised eyebrows among some employees, saying, “I’m not going to deny that it exists, and it was bad. It was inappropriate for sure.” She added, “Neither the agency nor the leadership has condoned anything that was in that briefing.”

I originally picked this story up at Outside the Beltway, where Dr. James Joyner added a very dry comment.

The “I” in DIA apparently does not stand for Intelligence.

The sad part, which Joyner also notes in his article, is that while we’ll all have a good time with this story and it will raise hackles on the Left for quite some time, there’s actually more than a little truth in the brief. For most professional situations where office work is required, workplace attire is a concern. And it’s decidedly more of an issue for women than men. I can’t think of a single situation such as that where a guy can’t get away with a decently cut suit and a conservative tie, decent shoes and a basic haircut and shave. Women have a lot more options, and thus more opportunities to run afoul of conventions.

Further, (and you can all break out the pitchforks and come after me for this part) I don’t see anything wrong with the idea of women dressing up professionally for work while still being stylish. Is there really something wrong with the idea of wearing some makeup, a nice, modestly cut skirt or nail polish? I’m unsure what the objections to slacks is, though. Then again, there’s probably some key difference between slacks and a “pants suit” which I’m unaware of. But how you dress for the office does matter and it’s going to affect your chances for advancement and how you are perceived. This applies to men as well as women.

But given the current political correctness environment, this will still turn out to be an “oops” moment, and I won’t be surprised if somebody is shown the door over it. And now I’ll go lock the doors and barricade myself in the basement before a hoard of NOW members shows up at my door.

Comments

Damn straight! Finally! WOO HOO!

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

O. Boo!

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Thanks for that picture, Jazz.

I needed an “arousal boost.” … : )

listens2glenn on February 2, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Glenn Reynolds is correct: Conservatives should buy a couple of fashion mags and influence the debate.

Twirl on it, Anna Wintour.

locomotivebreath1901 on February 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Damn straight! Finally! WOO HOO!

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 5:35 PM

O. Boo!

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

“MALE CHAUVINIST PIG” IN THE ROOM !

listens2glenn on February 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I met a female agent that worked for the DIA. She came over to the house to ask questions about the pilot that lived three houses down. He was applying for government work or something. I was surprised that she was really good looking.

Dack Thrombosis on February 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Think Shrillary. She’s not only queen of pants suits, but a template for women over 50 on “how not to wear ones hair and makeup”.

tru2tx on February 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Shouldn’t have written it down.

And that really is the end of it.

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

My job certainly gives a lot of directives in the what not to wear category and that’s probably the “acceptable” difference. At this point I think we are lucky that they didn’t spend a half a million dollars of taxpayers money for a video of their suggestions. If they are going to encourage heels (which I love) they better get the ladies to sign releases saying they won’t sue in their later years.

Cindy Munford on February 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

And what’s funniest about this is that a lot of their rules wouldn’t help women be taken more seriously in the workplace, or at least no workplace I’ve ever been in. Lots of makeup, jewelry, dresses and (most) heels actually decrease your credibility.

You should look neat, classy and be readily identifiable as female, but not excessively feminine…

Makeup is fine, but no bright colors and definitely none of that stupid raccoon eyes garbage.
Skirt suits should make you look like the real Sarah Palin, not the pr0n version of Sarah Palin.
Blazers should actually fit and not be a vehicle to show off your chest.
Heels <1"
No giant cheap-looking costume "statement" jewelry, unless you want the statement to be "watch my jewelry instead of my presentation."

This is definitely true in my universe (science & product development), but YMMV….

DangerHighVoltage on February 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM

“Makeup makes you more attractive.”

/shocked that anyone would suggest makeup makes women look more attractive

Paul-Cincy on February 2, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Working in DC (at least until my job disappears under sequestration) I will tell you that there is a uniform. Dark suits with white or blue shirts for men. Ultra-conservative dress for women. I think this was the point of this “training.” That bold colors and fashion forward stuff is not bad.

But, what was DIA thinking in even broaching this subject? Yes, they need to establish norms that ensure their employees don’t show up for work in tank tops and flip flops. But this is different. It is setting up grooming and dress standards at a time where we are being told that we cannot judge when an employee shows up for work in a wetsuit or kilt.

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Is that Mary Katherine and Erika at Hot Gas World Headquarters?

Ellis on February 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

They could have solved the pantsuit question by suggesting that “if you have a big arse, don’t wear a pantsuit – no, really!”

OldEnglish on February 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

/DIA — Women should be made to look as unattractive as possible. Ideally, men will turn away and retch. Marital sex is rape. Lesbians are invisible because they are women. Equal pay for equal work.

Paul-Cincy on February 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Hot Air is now Hottie Air.

Or Hot Chicks Air.

22044 on February 2, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Heels <1"

Palin always wears sky-high heels that say, “Don’t listen to me! Look at me!”

itsnotaboutme on February 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Cindy Munford on February 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

So I guess Bikini Friday is just out, then.

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I’m in the mood for some ZZ Top now.

tommer74 on February 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Shouldn’t have written it down.

And that really is the end of it.

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM

But you can have a dress code.

Where’s RWM? I need clarification. Can’t a shop require skirts? And the above doesn’t anyway.

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Well, other than the boobs, the one on the left looks like a dude.

VegasRick on February 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

“MALE CHAUVINIST PIG” IN THE ROOM !
listens2glenn on February 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Two

tommyboy on February 2, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Palin always wears sky-high heels that say, “Don’t listen to me! Look at me!”

itsnotaboutme on February 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Thats why I mentioned her suits, not her admittedly zany shoes. Giant heels should generally stay out of the boardroom.

DangerHighVoltage on February 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Think the difference between a pair of trousers and a, well, suit, single or double-breasted.

Sometimes, you guys let womens’ attire so overwhelm you that your brains shut down.

I notice it often in the ladies’ shoe department at Bergdorf’s. There’s always one or two men either nodding off or, figuratively, sticking needles in their eyes.

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Yeah, a business can establish a dress code and, unless there is some medical condition that requires accommodation, it can require skirts. It can also dictate how short the skirts can be. (This happens a lot in white-shoe lawfirms and banks. No more than 3 inches above the knee.)

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Giant heels should generally stay out of the boardroom.

DangerHighVoltage on February 2, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Curious….why?

BobMbx on February 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Women dress for the approval of other women anyway, so I’ll let you sort it out amongst yourselves.

RadClown on February 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

RadClown on February 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I don’t.

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

This also happens in Hooters, ma’am.

Don’t ask me how I know, I read about it on the internet so it must be true.

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

That’s what I thought. It’s a good thing too, because all my grand dreams would be for squat if my mirrored building is filled with Hillary. I wouldn’t even want to finish. I’d rather just change course.

I’m a fair carpenter, you know.

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:17 PM

D.I.A

Do I Accessorize?

hobbit on February 2, 2013 at 6:18 PM

*makes note to add medical condition accommodation to framework*

– So, anybody have a problem with Hawaiian Shirt Tuesday?

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

No flats!

I have to strongly object to that. Some days the feet just won’t go into a pair of heels.

gophergirl on February 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM

gophergirl on February 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Shave them. :)

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Hell, yes! That’s wet t-shirt day!

OldEnglish on February 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Exactly. A business can also suspend or fire an employee for gaining weight, if there is a legitimate business reason for the termination. Obviously, a strip club doesn’t have to keep a dancer that balloons to 200 pounds. It is not discriminatory.

A few years ago, when the casting call went out for one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie, it said that no breast augmentations were allowed. Again, this is not discriminatory since the film company is attempting to visually recreate the 18th/19th century – a time well before breast implants.

If you wanted to open a strip club called “True Blondes,” you could fire a stripper if you found out that she was not “tru dat.” :-)

lol. What are you building???

I’m a fair carpenter, you know.

I do now. :-)

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Shave them. :)

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

If I could wear heels everyday without horrible pain I would.

When God was passing around the “good feet” gene – he definitely missed me.

gophergirl on February 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

No flats!

LOL! My boss lady just lost a week at work because she slipped and fell in a wet stairwell. The “get well” card that was sent around had one contributer start their comments with “wear flats.”

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Several years ago now, Hooters actually had a test for their girls, they had to sit on the stools there and their cheeks couldn’t hang over, this was not an urban legend either, well at least the one at the beach in Maryland, how do I know, because my cousin had to pass it to work there, young college student at the time. Just sayin!

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Curious….why?

BobMbx on February 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM

One is comfort. If you are on your feet all day in a lab or office, you shouldn’t be wearing things that kill your feet or make you more likely to trip and fall. The second thing is that overly tall heels are associated more with nightclub or evening wear than office wear and you want to avoid anything that suggests “I’m going to a party!” more than “I’m presenting my research to the senior VP.”

DangerHighVoltage on February 2, 2013 at 6:29 PM

If I could wear heels everyday without horrible pain I would.

gophergirl on February 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Why? I’ve yet to understand why any woman would wear heels.

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

RadClown on February 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Heck no. Appropriateness and then comfort. I’m there to do a job, not entertain or promote fashion.

kim roy on February 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM

We had a 8+ month pregnant girl fall down the stairs because her heel caught her pant leg. The pregnant girl in my department has worn flats every day since then.

The director of my department can run down the hall in stilettos. Not sure how she doesn’t twist her ankle.

gophergirl on February 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

Ever studied a well-formed woman – side-on?

OldEnglish on February 2, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Why? I’ve yet to understand why any woman would wear heels.

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I just think they are cute. I’m not fond of the real high ones. 2 inches or lower.

My foot doctor would prefer me in New Balance tennis shoes 24/7 however.

gophergirl on February 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Is this how you’re dressed when working at Hot Air?

RoadRunner on February 2, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I don’t.

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM

kim roy on February 2, 2013 at 6:32 PM

There’s always exceptions, so perhaps I should have used the word ‘generally.’ Or if I were really smart, I wouldn’t have discussed the subject in the first place.

“Girls do not dress for boys. They dress for themselves and, of course, each other. If girls dressed for boys they’d just walk around naked at all times.” ― Betsey Johnson

RadClown on February 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

If What Not to Wear has taught us nothing else through the years, it has at least taught us that looking good can cause other people to take a person more seriously (because of the respect and care that person shows himself/herself–as demonstrated by paying attention to grooming details). And hey–if you can’t be competent, you can at least look competent, right? Sadly, that’s about the most we can hope for these days from our government.

But concerning this:

I hate nail polish. Unless you spend a lot of time putting on the special protective layers, it ruins your nails (and fake nails/tips are even worse). Then you are locked into a never-ending nail polish cycle to cover up the mess under the polish. And if it’s not perfect, it looks sloppy and worse than not wearing any at all. Nobody should be judged for refusing to wear nail polish. Tidy, well-kept nails should suffice.

butterflies and puppies on February 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM

DumbIdioticAzzholes…but then…have you ever seen Hillary without makeup?
…and I would rather see those two grain silos holding up the barn… in slacks…then in a skirt!

KOOLAID2 on February 2, 2013 at 6:52 PM

My foot doctor would prefer me in New Balance tennis shoes 24/7 however.

gophergirl on February 2, 2013 at 6:36 PM

If I were trying to invent some sort of persistent torture, I’d probably invent heels. If they look good to guys, it’s probably more because of their associations than their actual appearance. We aren’t complicated. You could probably get us to think of sex when we see a bagel, with enough training. I really suspect chick-on-chick fashion considerations go from there, though I’m guessing.

Anyhoo, you should be in tennis shoes 24/7, young lady — who isn’t actually a gopher. Now you’ve got complete strangers worrying about your feet, and that ain’t right. :)

Probably comes from all the hopping up and down at those amateur athletic competitions you go on about . . .

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I’m currently wearing my old Reebok tennis shoes. Very comfortable and sturdy. I don’t get to wear them to work.

22044 on February 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

lol. What are you building???

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM

No one would believe it. But — Closer! I’ll just point. You’ll be very proud. :)

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

22044 on February 2, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I’d look ridiculous in sneakers.

. . . I could probably put some pants on or something.

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Are you this honest with your dates, because if you are, I am getting the correlation of why your still single;)

Wouldn’t make fun of you if I didn’t like you btw:)

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I’d look ridiculous in sneakers.

. . . I could probably put some pants on or something.

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM

You and cozmo, coming into these forums w/ no pants. The bouncer must’ve fallen asleep again.

22044 on February 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

22044 on February 2, 2013 at 7:15 PM

He was under the impression we had moved into the glade already, you know when everybody gets all natural and stuff:)

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 7:19 PM

ROFL…! I must’ve missed the memo again…!

22044 on February 2, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I know of a few leftist women that vote democrat that don’t look good in any kind of dress.I surely don’t want to see them undressed.

docflash on February 2, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Now this is one gubmint mandate I can support. Yummy. ;-)

tommy71 on February 2, 2013 at 7:23 PM

actually i wish men would work harder on their appearance. they love to mentally scrutinize and criticize every little thing about a woman’s appearance when often, they don’t look that amazing themselves!!

you are completely missing the point. there’s a difference between women CHOOSING to do those things (because it makes them feel good), and men TELLING women to do those things (because they just want eye candy to stare at).

Sachiko on February 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Maybe MK or Erika should write a post responding to this, either for the main page or the Green Room. That would be interesting.

22044 on February 2, 2013 at 7:32 PM

DIA brief: Show a little leg, ladies

This story breaks one day after Hillary leaves government service. Coincidence?

James on February 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Sachiko on February 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM

That is the micro to the macro problem that men don’t act like men at all anymore. Valid point for sure, but men need to embrace the total package of being a man, which includes as you have stated ensuring they are dressed and groomed appropriately.

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Every place of work needs a memo like this.

Rusty Allen on February 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Hooters *does* write it down and is up front about it.

Fact is appearance does matter in some roles, for men and women. In more PC environments that simply isn’t documented officially.

It’s DIA y’all. What do you think the girls do for a living? Bake cookies?

CorporatePiggy on February 2, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Sachiko on February 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Didn’t you mean “someone else” telling them? Or do you just not want to be told what to do by men?

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Any bets it was a lib who came up with this presentation? The left will howl, until that person’s political affiliation is known. At which point you’ll hear a loud sigh and the expletive “never mind”!

GarandFan on February 2, 2013 at 7:50 PM

RadClown on February 2, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Exactly…but we still love you.

Resist We Much on February 2, 2013 at 7:56 PM

. . . which includes as you have stated ensuring they are dressed and groomed appropriately.

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

As well as poetry and literature. :)

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM

* “Reading. Not just for f*** anymore!”

– PSA

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM

As well as poetry and literature. :)

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Yes, this! ^

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Why? I’ve yet to understand why any woman would wear heels.

Happy Nomad on February 2, 2013 at 6:30 PM

One of my girlfriends is 4’9″ and wears the most outrageously high stiletto heels year round. She no doubt has a pair of boots with stiletto heels for venturing out in the snow.

I don’t know how she functions, but then I’m pretty much her opposite fashion-wise. I’m 5’4″ — supposedly, the statistical average height for American women. Give me a 1 3/4″ or 2″ heel and I’m fine. I care much more about comfort and being able to walk without pain, should I live to my 90s.

PatriotGal2257 on February 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM

High heels are a competitive adaptation by females. They are also akin to spurs or talons, useful for immobilizing prey.

Seth Halpern on February 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM

When are 18 year old girls going to be forced to sign up with Selective Service just as my son was required to do? Because, now that women are eligible for combat service, according to SCOTUS, they are no longer exempt.

Welcome, equal rights…

ladyingray on February 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM

One of the best little books I ever stumbled across was this one, as I was pretty much fashion-challenged for most of my youth and young adulthood. Once I finished this book, I looked at clothing, fashion and getting dressed for work each day differently and developed a wardrobe and confidence in the way I look that I didn’t have previously.

MarshFox on February 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

As far as that goes, I’d sure appreciate seeing some of the men I work with not slob around in ill-fitting sweatshirts, ratty jeans and various stages of unshavenness, topped off with the ubiquitous ball cap. There is a ton of decent looking clothing for men that can be considered casual but also neat and stylish. I’m reminded of an article I read about the making of “Saving Private Ryan.” There was Tom Hanks in his costume, an Army Ranger uniform, talking to director Steven Spielberg, who was wearing jeans, a sweatshirt and a ball cap and the comment in the article wondered why Tom Hanks in what was his costume for his role looked more mature than the man who was bringing the whole movie to fruition.

PatriotGal2257 on February 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I go to work on a Saturday and come back to find Hot Air is now Lame Cherry!

can_con on February 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

… You could probably get us to think of sex when we see a bagel, with enough training…

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM

You mean that’s not what they’re for?

TXUS on February 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Senator Menendez had anything to do with this?

coldwarrior on February 2, 2013 at 9:32 PM

The difference between slacks and pantsuits you ask? Hillary wears pantsuits. ’nuff said.

whatabunchoflosers on February 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Wait, the DIA is right for once and people are criticizing it? What is this world coming to?

njrob on February 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

John T. Molloy wrote books for men and women entitled

Dress for Success

Contrary to calls for political correctness, cultural norms and expectations result in conscious and unconscious, positive and/or negative, reactions to a person’s appearance.

That is true in the office as well as on television. That is why political candidates pay for consultants to dress for success in politics.

Upper management at DIA is clearly too political correct to acknowledge the facts.

slp on February 2, 2013 at 10:57 PM

The Defense Intelligence Agency

Maybe they should rename themselves to something like “DKNY”.

Shy Guy on February 3, 2013 at 1:45 AM

So I guess Bikini Friday is just out, then.

Axe on February 2, 2013 at 6:01 PM

No no. We can still have bikini Friday… but only if the lady in question is hot of course. The mileage of what people consider “hot” may vary of course.

Yakko77 on February 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

and we pay people to spend time on crap like this.

dmacleo on February 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I can’t wait to see “Big Sis” show up in her thong.

This will be a big moment for all of us!

Obamatrix on February 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Too many comments to read, so will get to the point:

How many here have actually SEEN the real (there’s a fake) presentation and worked at DIA?

I have done both, and can say with certitude there are 2 kinds of female employees – those who wear Birkenstocks w/no makeup & frumpy clothes, and those who wear tube tops as skirts w/their stripper shoes.

The real .ppt tries to steer women to the MIDDLE – skirts should hit the knee, and please make an effort to look professional.

This was TOO LONG in coming, IMHO.

Miss_Anthrope on February 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM