Video: This “Geraldo for Senate” thing might really be happening, huh?

posted at 6:43 pm on February 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via Mediaite, here’s a sign of how much work he needs to do on his basic retail political skills. He’s calling himself a “modern Republican” but if you listen to his platform — deficit reduction, entitlement reform, pro-immigration, pro-choice, pro-gay-marriage — he’s presenting himself as a fairly orthodox libertarian. (There’s nothing here about foreign policy but watch the second clip below, from late 2011, if you think I’m wrong.) If you’re running in a state as blue as Jersey, why oh why would you choose to carry the GOP’s national baggage by calling yourself a “Republican” instead of a “libertarian”? You can run in the GOP primary without chiefly identifying as a member of the party. Ron Paul’s perfected the technique. Note to Geraldo: If you think calling yourself a “modern Republican” is going to bring out the Christie voters in droves, you’re kidding yourself. His blue-state appeal, because of Sandy and because of his sheer Christie-ness, is sui generis.

Still, I think it’d be fun if he ran and won the primary, if only because it’d be the ultimate stress test of whether conservatives will unite behind a disfavored nominee in the interest of knocking off a Democrat. They united behind McCain, they united behind Romney. Will they unite behind a guy prone to saying things like … this?

The Republican Party is more than the “cliché” of recent years, Rivera said. He then blasted the “nativist” wing of the GOP for abandoning President George W. Bush on comprehensive immigration reform.

“They made the brown skin people and other immigrants the enemy,” he said.

In fairness to Geraldo, I’m sure McCain and Graham enthusiastically agree, even if they’re not stupid enough to say so. If he can’t get Jersey conservatives behind him, i.e. if he’s destined to face a third-party tea-party candidate who’ll siphon off ~10 percent of the vote in the general election, then what’s the point? He’s doomed. Exit question: Next up in media warfare — Geraldo versus Touré?

Comments

See y’all Monday.

Bmore on February 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Been thinking of you today Allah. Miss your Photoshops. ; )

Bmore on February 1, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I’d go with Rivers in a head to head with Toure’.

Bmore on February 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM

“Modern Republican”: I thought Colin Powell already had that gig.

Cicero43 on February 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM

He at least at one time was a fighter.

Bmore on February 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM

I’d go with Rivers in a head to head with Toure’.

Bmore on February 1, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I’d root for Toure, I despise Rivera so much for so long.

Liam on February 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Well, Christie is the most famous NJ Republican right now. Geraldo would fit right in.

besser tot als rot on February 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Frank Stallone should run against him.

Mark1971 on February 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

You’re kidding yourself, AP. I didn’t vote for him.

Stoic Patriot on February 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Insanity – the new normal!

OldEnglish on February 1, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Seriously? Where I come from Geraldo is almost as popular as head-cheese flavored ice cream.

perroviejo on February 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM

You’re kidding yourself, AP. I didn’t vote for him.

Stoic Patriot on February 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM

And how’s that working out for our country?

J.S.K. on February 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I will give Geraldo credit for Willowbrook.

rbj on February 1, 2013 at 7:00 PM

You’re kidding yourself, AP. I didn’t vote for him.

Stoic Patriot on February 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Cicero43 on February 1, 2013 at 7:01 PM

AP, glad to see that you have any idea what libertarianism is. Geraldo… hahaha

Timin203 on February 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM

You’re kidding yourself, AP. I didn’t vote for him.

Stoic Patriot

When you put your ego above the country, you might want to keep it to yourself.

chimney sweep on February 1, 2013 at 7:06 PM

He should run… far away.

And take Shep Smith with him.

mudskipper on February 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM

“They made the brown skin people and other immigrants the enemy,” he said.

LOL. Geraldo is an idiot. And he should learn some English, too – it’s “brown skinned people”, not “brown skin people”. Otherwise, his pathetic and constant attempts at race-baiting fall sorta flat.

Geraldo needs to FOAD. Painfully.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Frank Stallone should run against him.

Mark1971 on February 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

lol

Anti-Control on February 1, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Romney, the un-conservative, loser POS was my last GOP vote. That was it – not that I vote in Jersey, but I bet there are more than a few traditional GOP voters in Jersey who feel the same way. The extortion for our votes is over since the GOP has done nothing to even try to defend the most fundamental and important aspects of America.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM

He should run… far away.

And take Shep Smith with him.

mudskipper on February 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I looked up “douche” in the dictionary, and they had a pic of Shep for illustration.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Run in NJ. You’ll fit in.

However, don’t EVER get the funky idea of running for a national office.

blatantblue on February 1, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I look forward to an entertaining campaign, but if he’s up against Booker, I think I’d rather have Senator Booker than Senator Geraldo. Scratch that. Senator Geraldo, Governor Booker. In this theory, Booker runs in the 2017 Governor’s race after Christie is term limited.

vegconservative on February 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Geraldo started life as a liberal… and guess what… he’s still a liberal. People like Geraldo think they are conservatives because they live in uberliberalville.

aniptofar on February 1, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I laughed when Stuart Smalley said he was running until he actually won.

Geraldo could be elected. Not that anyone needs to be reminded of the current state of the electorate but there’s more than enough irresponsible voters out there who would pull the lever for him.

HotAirian on February 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM

For any who thought that thrown chair knocked some sense into Geraldo… keep dreaming…

viking01 on February 1, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Let’s do this!

Geraldo is a jew from Brooklyn born Gerald Michael but he rebranded as some kind of La Raza war correspondent.

For a party as confused as the GOP, this joker is an outstanding support. I’ll vote for him 5 times.

CorporatePiggy on February 1, 2013 at 7:34 PM

perroviejo on February 1, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Why you hatin’ on head-cheese ice cream?

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

If you look close in that picture, Shep is holding a picture of Geraldo.

ghostwalker1 on February 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

He’s got a lock on 90% of the low information voters.

Rovin on February 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

PLEASE. I have listened to his show, he is 100% democrat. There is never a republican position he agrees with.

D.L.Mc on February 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

“They made the brown skin people and other immigrants the enemy,” he said

…Italians, Arabs, Greeks…who?

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Well, the good thing — I’m sure he can find all the votes the Ds hide in Al Capone’s secret vault.

TXUS on February 1, 2013 at 7:49 PM

“They made the brown skin people and other immigrants the enemy,” he said

…Italians, Arabs, Greeks…who?

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Since even the Native Americans are immigrants….

I think Geraldo meant beach bums, surfers and tanning bed users…

viking01 on February 1, 2013 at 7:56 PM

a modern Republican

In Name Only…

Btw, what’s he still doing on the air?…Ailes?

Gohawgs on February 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Thats in the same league as Trump running for President.
Heroldo is a leftwing hack.

Mimzey on February 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Geraldo’s no libertarian. He’s a liberal. Maybe he has some twists to his ideology I’m not aware of, but whenever I hear him taking a position, it’s usually the liberal talking points position.

Cara C on February 1, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Geraldo is the most anti-white person I’ve ever heard. If the Republican Party would even allow this creep to run on their brand, then why are we wasting our energy on them?

Buddahpundit on February 1, 2013 at 8:34 PM

He is a lying POS. I don’t believe anything he says. Oh yeah, that’s right, he is an attorney.

Mirimichi on February 1, 2013 at 8:40 PM

It is ploy to get you all excited.

pat on February 1, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Another liberal azzhole presenting himself as “Republican”. What is wrong with Fox News for allowing him to even call himself that?

But he’ll play well to the typical NJ Christie lovers.

riddick on February 1, 2013 at 8:54 PM

You’re kidding yourself, AP. I didn’t vote for him.

Stoic Patriot on February 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM

By which you mean that you lodged a de facto vote for Obama. Rot in Hell.

JoeinTX on February 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM

You’re kidding yourself, AP. I didn’t vote for him.

Stoic Patriot on February 1, 2013 at 6:53 PM

By which you mean that you lodged a de facto vote for Obama. I feel the same way about you that I feel about those who voted to reelect this guy. ROT. IN. HELL.

JoeinTX on February 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

It was Romney’s job to give people like Stoic Patriot a reason to vote for him.

Romney failed.

He failed because he was the wrong choice. And if you didn’t see Romney’s impending failure coming from oh about 2011, you weren’t paying attention.

18-1 on February 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Looks like the “We found Al Capone’s vault” bitch (& yes I watched through the whole thing. I was a kid, gimme a break) wants his 15 minutes of fame & maybe some monetary quid pro quo.

Badger40 on February 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM

It was Romney’s job to give people like Stoic Patriot a reason to vote for him.

Romney failed.

18-1 on February 1, 2013 at 9:36 PM

There is no right choice for POTUS on the GOP side for anyone.
Folks like SP & perhaps you, fail to realize that letting someone in like Obama was far worse than anything Mitt could ever have done.
Bcs let’s be honest, Mitt is a good man & has good morals. And he wouldn’t have been perfect & he isn’t Reagan (& Reagan of course wasn’t always great either), but he would have made America a better place than Obama could have.
And that is why America is a toilet bowl.
You folks who desire the exact perfect candidate lose sight of the war.
Romney was no McCain or Dole etc.
He is better than that.
But whatevs.
Enjoy the destruction.
Watch our country burn & feel good in your heart that your nonvoting is somehow saying something.

Badger40 on February 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Btw, what’s he still doing on the air?…Ailes?

Gohawgs on February 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Ailes was hailed as premier Republican/conservative around just 2 short years ago. Turned out to be just another liberal hack as judged by his recent hires and overall direction of Fox News.

riddick on February 2, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I really have to wonder sometimes HOW people like Geraldo somehow manage to completely avoid reality. I have to assume he lives in this very insular little world where people tell him how great he is and what a terrific idea it would be for him to run for office. Meanwhile, back in the REAL world, he’s a hypocrite with no visible principles. You’d think somebody in his life would care enough about the guy to sit him down and tell him, “hey, you’re kind of a jerk and nobody respects you, so you’ve got about as much chance of being elected by Republicans as Barack Obama”, but apparently the guy doesn’t have any friends.

Murf76 on February 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM

“They made the brown skin people and other immigrants the enemy,” he said.

Geraldo needs to FOAD. Painfully.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM

What TPOP wrote.

Geraldo is to the brand, “Republican,” what burned toast is to bread.

Lourdes on February 2, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Geraldo is really enjoying his intentional derision of the Right. He’s the tiny creep who jumps forth, after two bigger creeps have already pummeled whoever they’re bullying, and goes, “so, there, see what I can do to you?”

He was engaged in a great big ole smile on FOX earlier tonight when he crowed about his “crossed fingers…that I’m penetrating it with” as to this idea of running as a Republican for public office.

And boyoboyo, did Geraldo ever think he was clever with his clearly disgusting crap.

Lourdes on February 2, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Let me see, he is currently married to his fifth wife and has a known record of countless mistresses. He does qualify for the Kennedy Senate seat in Massachusetts.

SC.Charlie on February 2, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Cleombrotus on February 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I guess the most important ingredient for public office these days is to be immune from self-embarrassment. – Cleombrotus on February 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM

True. But then Geraldo also covers two ethnic groups since he is Jewish and Hispanic.

SC.Charlie on February 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Geraldo a Republican. Now THAT is funny!

NavyMustang on February 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM

We have Geraldo’s show on where I live. Forget that “Republican” meme he’s trying to pedal. He’s got that sneer in his voice I hear from every Democrat politican.

itsspideyman on February 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM