Video: Reason’s Nanny of the Month is …

posted at 4:31 pm on February 1, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

I love Reason TV’s Nanny of the Month series anyway, but the January 2013 edition is notable for two points.  First, I actually caught the winner a week ago, before Ted Balaker got a chance to compile the nominees.   Even more hilariously, check out Mitch Greenlick’s other legislative passion — a great catch by Ted:

But 2013′s first nod goes to the northwest nag whose new bill, if passed, would expand the drug war by categorizing cigarettes as a Schedule III controlled substance (along with LSD). You’d need a doctor’s prescription to get your mitts on tobacco products (including cigars), and if you disobey, you could be looking at a fine of $6,250, up to a year in prison, or both!

For reminding us of how far we’ve come since restaurant smoking bans, the January 2013 Nanny of the Month goes to Oregon Rep. Mitch Greenlick (D-Portland)!

Greenlick wants a “more rational way to decide who gets in imprisoned,” while at the same time proposing a year in jail for anyone smoking a cigarette without a prescription.  That’s called “stepping on your message,” and it’s also called “idiocy.”  Congratulations on a well-earned award, sir.

Comments

Blummie!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM

If it weren’t for stupid ideas, liberals wouldn’t have any ideas at all.

psrch on February 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Its unfortunate the Framers didn’t include intelligence as a pre-req to serving as an elected official.

Whats the result of that oversight? $16T in debt and counting.

BobMbx on February 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Notice how normal the guy at the end seems. That is some strange stuff up there in Oregon idn’t it? I haven’t seen a doctor endorse cigarettes since I picked up a Life Magazine from the 40′s.

DanMan on February 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Yup. As a smoker, I’m totally used to it. I’ve had people come up to me on the street and lecture me about smoking.

I can’t wait until this starts happening with food and fat people. First you can’t be fat on an elevator, then you can’t be fat on an airplane, then you can’t be fat in a restaurant, then you need a prescription from your doctor to be fat. :-D

Timin203 on February 1, 2013 at 4:38 PM

DanMan on February 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Well, the idea is to make cigarettes illegal. You’d be able to get some sympathetic doctors to prescribe you cigarettes (maybe) to help ‘deal with the addiction’ but for all intents and purposes, cigarettes prohibition will just force cigarettes underground like alcohol in the 30s, and marijuana today. We’ll have turf wars over who gets to sell the looseys on the corner, we’ll throw thousands of otherwise law-abiding people in jail, and we’re have a ‘war on nicotine’

Timin203 on February 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM

…we need to put Greeny in jail with a wig on…and tell the inmates he’s there… strictly to lick the population!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM

DanMan on February 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Now, imagine a person who develops lung cancer, and then waves a cigarette prescription under the nose of an ambulance-chasing lawyer.

“Who’s your malpractice insurer, Doc?”

BobMbx on February 1, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Well, HA. How about it? Are you ever going to stop playing the self starting advertisements? Nawh! You stopped for a couple of days, but they are baacckk!

Old Country Boy on February 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

It says he wants to ban all forms of nicotine. I use (non-prescription) nicotine lozenges to help control ADD.

davidk on February 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Old Country Boy on February 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I use (non-prescription) Firefox and AdBlock to control my blood pressure.

davidk on February 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM

The DOW closed a tad over 14,000 “due to great labor news”.

Is this an insane world, or what?

Bernanke prints dollars and the fools don’t get it.

Courtesy of RWM

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

He got this idea from the guy in the green room who is running for president.

tru2tx on February 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM

This dope Greenlick (heh) has his work cut out for him then. Every vacant property in the greater Portland metro area is infested by cigarette smoking squatters. Good luck routing those weasels out Mitch.

Mr. Arrogant on February 1, 2013 at 4:55 PM

The DOW closed a tad over 14,000 “due to great labor news”.

Is this an insane world, or what?

Bernanke prints dollars and the fools don’t get it.

Courtesy of RWM

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Awesome RWM!!!

Schadenfreude…thanks for posting RWM. I missed it.

And yes Bernanke is cranking out those dollars at $85B a month and O is continuing to spend $1T+ every year.

CoffeeLover on February 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM

This is why I agree we should legalize pot, not because I think pot is good anymore than I think tobacco products are good, but because it would push back against the control freaks who if they get their way will ban everything that they think is “harmful” to us including sodas, cars, guns, hamburgers, fossil fuels, religion, alcohol, etc.

Conservatives have to realize that the libertarians are right on this. If you don’t want your kids smoking pot, or drinking booze, or chewing tobacco then teach them not to do it, bring them up right but don’t give these nannies political power or they will deprive us of all our freedoms including the ones you like.

William Eaton on February 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

his next bill will be to make pot legal …. any bets

Aggie95 on February 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

It’s no wonder Democrats don’t want to address the mentally ill issue.

Rovin on February 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

sec def material. now that biden off ther hook as dumbest admin offical. hagel looking for relief…this could be the guy.

t8stlikchkn on February 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM

That’s called “stepping on your message,” and it’s also called “idiocy.”

Notice how normal the guy at the end seems. That is some strange stuff up there in Oregon isn’t it?

DanMan on February 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Yup, makes idiocy seem normal. People do know that no matter what they do, they are all going to die at some point, right? I’d rather die with more rather than less of my freedoms intact. And, I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.

Fallon on February 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Another Jack*ss on parade!!

canopfor on February 1, 2013 at 5:06 PM

****More Rational****!!!

Thats logic right there!
(sarc)

canopfor on February 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Unless you’re an illegal alien. Then you get 10 packs a week, a free bic lighter and a case of beer too.

BacaDog on February 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Let’s try this scenario: It’s Sunday, a smoker needs his prescription, and his regular doctor is off playing water polo. Where to get the scrip?

Why, a hospital emergency room! Now imagine 100 smokers in the same fix. Worse, they’re dying for a smoke but are at the bottom of the list because of real emergencies like injuries in an auto accident. And they keep getting bumped.

It’ll be in short order to answer the question of who riots first, the hospital staff or the ‘patient’. Plus, smokers are brand-loyal. What if the hospital or drug store is out of a person’s brand? We might see a sharp uptick in the murders of pharmacists because of this cockamamie idea.

Liam on February 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Same here Fallon, never smoked but have no problem with those that do. Can’t imagine being cavalier about authorizing my neighbor being jailed for it.

Here’s another thing that came to me the other day re: illegal immigration and progs. I hate every aspect of the situation we’re in and I am surrounded by what I assume are many illegals here in Houston. I honestly believe if I got dropped off in a crowd of Spanish speaking poor Mexicans vs. finding myself surrounded by the unionistas of Ohio or Wisconsin I would fare much better with the alien Mexicans. At least we’d have more in common temperament wise.

DanMan on February 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Let me guess, unlike Clinton, Greenlick inhales.

GarandFan on February 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Oregon is a substantially conservative/libertarian place; assuming Portlandia is granted statehood so the rest of us can get back to normal.

Scribbler on February 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Would this law apply to out-of-state visitors as well? If I was in the state for only 1-2 days, I’m guessing I would need a prescription for cigarettes I purchased out of state.

Kingfisher on February 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

How many Senators and Congressmen (AND WOMEN) smoke cigars? Big stinky ones! Lots. Frequently. Secretly.

kurtzz3 on February 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I would like to throw my hat in the ring for the job as Texas State Commissioner of stripper licensing.

But let’s be honest about the winner’s bill. It’s about collecting the $6,250 from smokers- not about the jail time.

Happy Nomad on February 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Scribbler on February 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

I’m tired of all you people saying that. California, Oregon, Washington- All states that are declared substantially conservative except for the population centers! You live in a liberal state. Deal with it.

And I mean that seriously. You all need to build a grass-roots organization to beat back the commies at every level of government. To include poll watchers in King County (WA), Chicago with salmon, where election after election more people vote than are legally on the voter rolls.

Happy Nomad on February 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Mercer-Greenlick 2016!

Would-be petty tyrants like Greenlick can lick my (bleeped).

JimLennon on February 1, 2013 at 6:26 PM

I’m telling you right now, the day is coming when the Federal government (or other State/local gov’t agency) is going to issue guidelines on the correct way to wipe our arses.

Mark. My. Words.

PappyD61 on February 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Happy Nomad on February 1, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I understand vitamin B might help with your weariness.

Oregon is far more than Portland. We aren’t like Washington or Illinois. We are far less liberal than three of the five Pacific states, and there is real hope for the future.

Perhaps you might want to include dark leafy vegetables in your diet? Bananas, maybe?

Scribbler on February 1, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Mark. My. Words.

PappyD61 on February 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM

If I didn’t use up my one square of toilet-paper today, can I use two tomorrow, or doesn’t it carry over?

bofh on February 1, 2013 at 7:21 PM

kurtzz3 on February 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Hell, Bill Clinton used ‘em in the oval office. I don’t know if he ever smoked one or not though.

Oldnuke on February 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Sure- let’s convict the smokers but by God let’s never talk about insanity or the people who kill others.

It’s always the object a never the person: it is not the individual’s fault for choosing to smoke- it’s the fault of the darn cigarette for existing. And gang killings and mass shootings are never the fault of the killers- rather they are the fault of the guns for existing.

2+2=5

ptcamn on February 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

So, with a prescription, a person could smoke in his office, and any other normal non-smoking area for ‘health reasons’…

zoyclem on February 2, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Funny…where I work (headquarters at a Federal Government agency) no one is allowed to smoke in the building except the political appointees and administrators.

zoyclem on February 2, 2013 at 8:09 AM