Quotes of the day

posted at 9:16 pm on February 1, 2013 by Allahpundit

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is leaving office with a slap at critics of the Obama administration’s handling of the September attack on a U.S. diplomatic mission in Libya. She told The Associated Press that critics of the administration’s handling of the attack don’t live in an “evidence-based world,” and their refusal to “accept the facts” is unfortunate and regrettable for the political system.

In her last one-on-one interview before she steps down on Friday, Clinton told the AP that the attack in Benghazi was the low point of her time as America’s top diplomat. But she suggested that the furor over the assault would not affect whether she runs for president in 2016.

***

For all of Clinton’s personal prestige and tireless work ethic, most of the administration’s foreign policy accomplishments — the wind-down of two wars, the Osama bin Laden killing, the Libya intervention — were the product of a group decision-making process, with Obama undeniably at the head of the table and equal weight given to players like U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice, Defense secretaries Bob Gates and Leon Panetta, National Security Adviser Tom Donilon and Vice President Joe Biden, a Clinton admirer who own gaze is firmly fixed on 2016…

“I can see the parallels” between her struggles in 2008 campaign and her performance at State, says Kori Schake, senior foreign policy adviser to John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign.

“Ask her assistant secretaries at gunpoint, ‘tell me honestly what her top three priorities have been’ — I don’t think they could answer,” says Schake.

***

Hume, on “The O’Reilly Factor”:

“It’s not easy to be a great Secretary of State. Foreign policy is really the province of the president; the Secretary of State is the person who is his emissary… She’s worked very hard, travelled all over the world, 112 countries — but the list of achievements that can be attributed to her is not long, and it’s not major. How well has the reset with Russia worked out? How are things between Arab and Israelis, closer to peace than before? How about Iran, North Korea, their nuclear weapons program? Have they been retarded, held-back, halted? No, I don’t think so. So you look around for a Clinton doctrine… a new way of thinking… I would say not. And what about major treaties? … Was she involved in negotiations that led to any major treaties? The answer to all those questions appears to be no.”

***

“She’s coming away with a stellar reputation that seems to have put her almost above criticism,” Aaron David Miller, a former diplomat peace negotiator, said to Paul Richter, of the Los Angeles Times. “But you can’t say that she’s really led on any of the big issues for this administration or made a major mark on high strategy.” A former diplomat who served in the Obama Administration told Richter, “If you go down the line, it’s tough to see what’s happened in world politics over the last four years that wouldn’t have happened without her. So, it’s tough to see how she gets into that category of truly great, transformational secretaries, like Acheson and Marshall.”

It’s hard to quibble with that assessment. Marshall gave his name to an economic-recovery plan for war-torn Europe. Acheson laid down the Cold War policy of containment and helped create NATO. Adams helped conceive the Monroe Doctrine, which defined Central and South America as part of the U.S. sphere of influence. Kissinger pioneered détente with the Soviets, instigated a rapprochement with the Chinese, and did much else besides (by no means all of it estimable). By contrast, Hillary’s signature achievements look like small beer.

***

She’s received almost nothing but praise for her tenure as Secretary of State, which neatly elides over the massive fecal tornado engulfing the world from Mali to Islamabad, the Arab Spring’s descent into something that looks more ugly by the day, and the coming festivities in Afghanistan when we close up shop there in 2014. Other than that, Mrs. Clinton, how did you enjoy the play?…

The media loves consistency and narrative, but they also love the shock of the new. They love the prospect of another Obama, who electrifies their fantasy lives in a way that Hillary never quite did. Oh, she’s entirely preferable to any Republican in their minds, but 2008 should have been a cautionary tale for those who are today declaring her inevitability. No, there probably won’t be another Obama, but there may well be someone and something else that captures attention…

Hillary Clinton, though beloved by the Acela Corridor, in reality has a kind of fuzzy brand image right now. Name ID is necessary, but not sufficient, and unfortunately for her, there isn’t a single, defining philosophical principle by which she can be identified, and part of the predicate of a future Hillary run is that Obama’s brand and her association with it will be a political asset…

Hillary 2016 is a pleasant little parlor game, but there’s many a slip twixt the cup and the lip between now and the next inauguration.

***

PPP’s newest Texas poll finds that, at least for now, Hillary Clinton could win the state in 2016. This follows on the heels of a survey last month where we found she would have a decent chance of winning Kentucky if she makes another White House bid.

50% of Texas voters have a favorable opinion of Clinton to 43% with a negative one. She’s universally well liked by Democrats (91/5) and a majority of independents view her positively as well (52/41). She holds narrow leads in hypothetical match ups with Marco Rubio (46/45) and Chris Christie (45/43) and a wider one in a contest against Rick Perry (50/42).

***

Hillary Rodham Clinton said Tuesday that she is “not inclined” to run for president in 2016 but left the door open for what is widely considered her likely return to politics after she steps down as secretary of state.

“I’m not thinking about anything like that right now,” Clinton smilingly told a questioner. “I am looking forward to finishing up my tenure as secretary of state and then catching up on about 20 years of sleep deprivation.”

***

Clinton … has shown that women can wield official power and can do so with moral force equal to, and in some ways greater than, men. Mrs. Roosevelt did this, too, both through her influence on her husband, and with her own clout in the public square. She continued on, many people forget, as an important figure long after she left the White House, playing a key role in the adoption of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights in 1948 and leading the reformers’ wing of the Democratic Party in the 1950s and early 1960s.

For Columbia historian Alan Brinkley, it’s a close call, but: “I do think that as a woman in government and politics, Clinton probably has been the most important woman in American politics—and may become more so. She was probably the second-most important person in the White House during Bill Clinton’s presidency. She was one of the most important senators during the Bush years. And she has been one of the most powerful secretaries of state since Dulles.”…

[I]n upstate New York, away from the city’s bumptious glare, even when she was giving so-so speeches, I observed something else powerful going on. It was the look in women’s eyes, and especially in their daughters’ eyes, when they met her; waiting for hours, at a skating rink in Elmira I think it was, or a minor-league ballpark in Jamestown. How nervous they were, even overwhelmed, to meet her. How patient she was with every one of them, every last one of them, working those rope lines for hours and hours, posing for pictures, signing autographs—even obligingly signing some of those idiotic attack books, by Laura Ingraham and Peggy Noonan and so forth, if that’s what people shoved under her, always smiling, smiling…

But even if that doesn’t happen, she has been one of the most remarkable Americans of our time. In the 20 years she’s been on the stage, the country has gone from wondering whether women could handle the toughest jobs to knowing they can. That is a huge cultural change—barriers that were a given for most people a generation ago are just completely socially unacceptable now, and thousands more women know they can aim for the top. No one is more responsible for that change than Hillary Clinton.

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

tommy71 on February 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

ROTFLMAO, it is a bit concerning though when you think about how easy we really are tracked, just got done reading one of my issues of Popular Mechanics on that very thing, it is all about money and advertising and the government is cashing in with getting so many ways to collect info if they wished.

MarshFox on February 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Seriously. I ask.

Key West Reader on February 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Everyone Love Raven Radicals

Electrongod on February 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Hello night people!

Taking bets on how long it takes for Hillary to be on air??

CoffeeLover on February 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Franklin Graham’s charity Samaritan’s Purse has a way to donate to wounded warriors.

gophergirl on February 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Bookmarked. Thanks a ton, gg.

predator on February 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Christopher Stevens was not available for comment.

Wino on February 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

That’s one of the few “thread winners” I can’t laugh at.
But, “the shoe fits” … totally. : (

listens2glenn on February 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

4 dead Americans in Libya
1 dead Vince Foster

SouthernGent on February 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

That post is old. I wrote it after Benghazi and it is full of facts and links so your M2RB sug won’t work, but I love that song.

**brain’s thinking**

Resist We Much on February 1, 2013 at 9:49 PM

O no no no no no. That wasn’t a suggestion. That was me stealing your patented M2RB and applying it to the quotes. :) I made my own QOTD M2RB.

**brain’s thinking**

*tosses water to cool scary heat-glow*

Axe on February 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Oh, looks like Arnienator is caught up in another se* scandal. I still can’t believe that he had a R next to his name.

tommy71 on February 1, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Unfortunately it didn’t stand for Republican… more like ridiculous and repulsive, but then again, there are no real conservatives left in Ca, or a republican party for that matter. One would think that the establishment GOP would look long and hard at what happened here. They won’t, as true conservatives left the party a long time ago, me being one of them.

uncommon sense on February 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

MarshFox on February 1, 2013 at 10:02 PM

way too true. And to think once they get our medical records they’ll get even more info….Drudge has an article up now on NHS === ‘Biggest data grab in NHS history’…

CoffeeLover on February 1, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Rembering Andrew Breitbart today 2/1/13 treasured and missed by all Patriots everywhere.

Andrew Breitbart’s Birthday Gift: Victory Over NBC

Scandal-Plagued Steve Capus Out as NBC News President

bluefox on February 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Hello night people!

Taking bets on how long it takes for Hillary to be on air??

CoffeeLover on February 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM

New show on MSNBC:

“Hillary and Rachel–Just two guys talkin’ news”

predator on February 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM

New Steyn…

Containing Hagel

M2RB: Guns ‘N Roses

Resist We Much on February 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Are those matchups in texas? Because her numbers wont last like this

Flapjackmaka on February 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM

True or False: Sarah Palin accomplished more in 2.5 years as Governor of Alaska than Hillary Clinton did in 4 years as Secretary of State.

steebo77 on February 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

You could include her 8 years as “co-President”, as well.

listens2glenn on February 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Christopher Stevens was not available for comment.

Wino on February 1, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Bah. I was typing over you or I would have just quoted you.

Axe on February 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM

steebo77 on February 1, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I think I’ve heard this before. ;)

Hillary’s GONE.

Fallon on February 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM

gophergirl on February 1, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Thank you! Will make this known.

bluefox on February 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM

New show on MSNBC:

“Hillary and Rachel–Just two guys talkin’ news”

predator on February 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM

LOL there went my coffee —–>scampering for paper towels!!!

CoffeeLover on February 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM

4 dead Americans in Libya
1 dead Vince Foster

SouthernGent on February 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

“Will provide upon request”

The last page of Hillary’s resume..

Electrongod on February 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Go away and stay away.

Mirimichi on February 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM

*tosses water to cool scary heat-glow*

Axe on February 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Let me loose on him!!!

#FatManLittleBoyImADinnerJacketAnnihilator

I’ll trade you a royalty-free usage of “MR2B” for free MR2B suggestions. :-)

Resist We Much on February 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM

And in case my point wasn’t clear enough on page one, Her thighness just said “eff you America, don’t you ever question me–ever.”

And the senate repubs said “yes ma’am, could you get out the strap-on?”

arnold ziffel on February 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Bill Clinton is like having a bad case of herpes…

… Hillary are the genial warts.

Seven Percent Solution on February 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM

MR2B should be M2RB

Shit! I’m not even drinking!!

Resist We Much on February 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I hope Hillary just stays away. She’s as dangerous as Obama but in different ways.

gophergirl on February 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Hillary, in her own smug, sanctimonious fashion always talks like she’s addressing Hazel Hatrack’s fourth grade class. I stifle the urge to drag the effing words out of her mouth and suppress the desire to scream “shut up!!!” at the same time.

Thank God I won’t have to hear that flat, rasp-on-tin-can voice of hers until sometime next year.

Mr. Grump on February 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

And the senate repubs said “yes ma’am, could you get out the strap-on?”

arnold ziffel on February 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Crap! I just had this awful vision that the next book will be called; “Fifty shades of Hillary”

*running away scared and crying in the corner* LOL! :)

uncommon sense on February 1, 2013 at 10:14 PM

“Hillary and Rachel–Just two guys talkin’ news”

predator on February 1, 2013 at 10:07 PM

I’m glad I wasn’t drinking anything when I read this.

Fallon on February 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I suspect (hope) this will not stand.

davidk on February 1, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Thanks. I’m not upset, I’m outraged!!!! These are our Warriors so this nasty condescending insulting reply to this Pastor/Church should result in an apology and the firing of whoever made this decision and sent this out. Nothing less.

bluefox on February 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Breitbart’s birthday?

Axe on February 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Sir Edmund Hillary should be so proud. /

TXUS on February 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM

If Hillary runs and wins in ’16 will anything really change?

Not much, methinks.

predator on February 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM

gophergirl on February 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I agree gg

CoffeeLover on February 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

(trying to fill in for KCB here!)

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Nice job!

KCB on February 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I’m glad I wasn’t drinking anything when I read this.

Fallon on February 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

*sigh* I need to work on my timing.

predator on February 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Yeah, we know…

Military Told To Stand Down During Benghazi Attack

We are not going away Hillary…

… Who ordered the ‘stand down’?

Seven Percent Solution on February 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Don’t let the door slap you on your a$$..

Electrongod on February 1, 2013 at 9:18 PM

That woman has an a$$ like a quarter horse.

KCB on February 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

gophergirl on February 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I agree gg

CoffeeLover on February 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I will credit her with “NOT hating the U.S.”, like her boss does.

But yeah, she’s dangerous.

listens2glenn on February 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Why are we worrying about these has beens?

Seriously. I ask.

Key West Reader on February 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

lol, ma’am, we didn’t take a Chicago thug rookie poser seriously at first either. He won, proceeded to make things worse and got re-elected.

arnold ziffel on February 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Some dudes are just plain lucky. ‘A Brit, Ken Wilman, has been offered $65,000 for a rare piece of whale puke, weighing 6.6lbs. The substance, which is found in the digestive system of sperm whales is expensive and used in perfume. His dog found it while they were walking on the beach. He said that he left the ambergris on the beach but “something triggered in my mind” and, after doing some research, he went back to get it’. Dude, 65K for puke?

tommy71 on February 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Hey, is it just me or has HA gotten worse with the tracking software? Not that I care, but I’m noticing more stuff as coming up blocked through my software.

uncommon sense on February 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

If Hillary runs and wins in ’16 will anything really change?

Not much, methinks.

predator on February 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Nah, not much, but I would anticipate taxpayer-funded vibrators. Why not, a girl’s got the right to choose.

TXUS on February 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Breitbart’s birthday?

Axe on February 1, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Yup, but the #WAR still goes on. He is greatly missed…

Fallon on February 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

That woman has an a$$ like a quarter horse.

KCB on February 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

And ankles like a Clydesdale.

*apologies to Clydesdales*

predator on February 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

That woman has an a$$ like a quarter horse.

KCB on February 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Quarter horses have nice asses. Hers is more like a Percheron.

arnold ziffel on February 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM

TXUS on February 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I’m sure she’ll get a lot of Flukeing support.

predator on February 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM

davidk on February 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I know this is going to be an informative read when I read this first paragraph:

The following letter was disseminated and signed by over 1,000 current and former Army Special Forces soldiers (Green Berets) in support of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms, specifically as a defensive measure against tyranny.

bluefox on February 1, 2013 at 10:24 PM

For all of Clinton’s personal prestige and tireless work ethic

She’s incompetent, lazy, mean-spirited, kniving and goofy.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM

i just read Chu’s resignation letter to DoE. (no, don’t bother)

Smug, self-righteous, sanctimonious…seems to be going around. Chu thinks he is pretty special…and those critics are pretty stupid. He also think that other countries, like China, are pretty much getting into Clean Energy (bwahahahahahahahahaha)

We have fools for ‘leaders’…arrogant, leftist fools who actually think that they can command and run an economy..and change a world to Green

Scary, really

but like i say, a long, long good bye from the Sec Energy and all the Good and Prudent things they’ve done

r keller on February 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM

That woman has an a$$ like a quarter horse.

KCB on February 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Excuse me, but I know the sweetest old mare you ever laid your eyes on, who took to me and followed me around all day, day one, who I think about all the time — and I think you know what I’m saying here.

You should apologize to quarter horses.

Axe on February 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM

uncommon sense on February 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Who/What are Lotame and Quantcast?

Fallon on February 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Why are we worrying about these has beens?

Seriously. I ask.

Key West Reader on February 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM

arnold ziffel on February 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

The real winner has been the “shadow government”.

The “Chicago thug rookie poser” couldn’t be in the Oval Office without them.

listens2glenn on February 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM

“accept the facts”

We are not going away Hillary…

… Who ordered the ‘stand down’?

Seven Percent Solution on February 1, 2013 at 10:19 PM

i.e., “if the s*** we told them isn’t good enough, screw them — we don’t want to talk about it anymore, it doesn’t matter.”

Axe on February 1, 2013 at 10:28 PM

She’s a cuckold woman with brain damage now.

docflash on February 1, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Yup, but the #WAR still goes on. He is greatly missed…

Fallon on February 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Must be a national conservative holiday until it’s a national holiday. :)

All right, on the list.

Axe on February 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Fallon on February 1, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Pretty scary stuff, but like I said, not too worried with the software I have in place… don’t like that creepy stuff. Abine and Ghostry help to prevent that… holy crap, I sound like the B person! :)

uncommon sense on February 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I apologize to quarter horses everywhere.

KCB on February 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM

QOTD is slow today. Hmm…..

tommy71 on February 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM

That woman has an a$$ like a quarter horse.

KCB on February 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

…yes!…but Beechnut and Hightower had a much nicer tail!

KOOLAID2 on February 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I’ll trade you a royalty-free usage of “MR2B” for free MR2B suggestions. :-)

Resist We Much on February 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Yes, yes, I’ll recompense, Dagny — of course. :)

lol :)

Axe on February 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Resist We Much on February 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM

yes, Andrew is sorely missed… luckily there are still others, Guttfield comes to mind. :)

uncommon sense on February 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Countess of Chappaqua

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2013 at 10:37 PM

uncommon sense on February 1, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I’ve noticed changes over the last 2 weeks. I’ve gotten IE popups
at the bottom of my screen saying only showing secure content etc.
If I click on show all content, then the page refreshes. Have no idea what that is about. (Using Win7/IE9)

I haven’t seen this happen on other websites tho, just HA.

bluefox on February 1, 2013 at 10:38 PM

The Clintons have done enough damage to the Republic…

Don’t go away mad, just go away…

Khun Joe on February 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

List the free or freer people, due to Hilalry/Obama, I triple dare you. If only one person could answer this oft asked question.

Please don’t name Burma (they had nothing to do with it), the union thugs and Black Panthers. I know about these already.

Note – I said “people”, not “person”.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Possible 2016 campaign song for Hillary or Krispie Kreme?

steebo77 on February 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM

At 3:00 a.m. Hillary is as dumb as Obama.

Benghazi proved that beyond a shadow of doubt.

Egypt, failure
Benghazi, fatal disaster
Lybia, disaster
Iran, disaster
Russia, failure
Syria, disaster, lots of dead
Afghanistan, abandoned, backward a few centuries
Pakistan, disaster
Iraq, failure
Mexico guns, disaster

Go for it, name the successes.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM

bluefox on February 1, 2013 at 10:38 PM

See post above, I prefer Mozilla as a browser, and there are packages that will prevent this. MS IE is ok, but it is better fortified by some other applications. :)

uncommon sense on February 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Happy Birthday, Andrew Breitbart

Resist We Much on February 1, 2013 at 10:31 PM

He was this guy: http://twitpic.com/bw9in6

davidk on February 1, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2013 at 10:41 PM

You forgot “fatal” with Mexico.

davidk on February 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM

QOTD is slow today. Hmm…..

tommy71 on February 1, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Good night, Little Tommy. The wine is making me sleepy…

Fallon on February 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM

She was the best SOS this country has ever seen..

Electrongod on February 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Yes, Ambassador Stevens called this · · · — — — · · · and…Hillary and Obama went to sleep.

To Hades with both and all who surround them. They’re all inept arrogant America haters and they have blood on their hands.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Time for some music. How ’bout some Heaven?

predator on February 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM

You forgot “fatal” with Mexico.

davidk on February 1, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Good point. Thanks!

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I will credit her with “NOT hating the U.S.”, like her boss does.

But yeah, she’s dangerous.

listens2glenn on February 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

I wouldn’t.

Jackalope on February 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Good Night, Fallon. Sleep well.

tommy71 on February 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM

She was the best SOS this country has ever seen..

Electrongod on February 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Indeed, for the muzzies.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I will credit her with “NOT hating the U.S.”, like her boss does.

But yeah, she’s dangerous.

listens2glenn on February 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

No way – the muzzies flourished under her and brother Obama. He is them. Period. Wake up world, or have your heads cut off.

Schadenfreude on February 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

PSA: ROTFLMABO

rolling on the floor laughing my ass back on