Are you ready for Senator Geraldo?

posted at 4:31 pm on January 31, 2013 by Allahpundit

Boy, I sure am. If there’s one thing the GOP needs now, it’s another senator who’s famously soft on immigration. Imagine these words ringing off the walls in the Senate chamber: “[A]ny Latino who votes for a Republican or a Democrat who opposes rational immigration reform is an Uncle Tom.” He’ll make a fine third in the McCain/Graham alliance.

“I mention this only briefly, fasten your seatbelt,” Rivera said on his radio show. “I mentioned this only briefly to my wife … but I am and I’ve been in touch with some people in the Republican Party in New Jersey. I am truly contemplating running for Senate against Frank Lautenberg or Cory Booker.”…

“I’m not going to drill this out, because obviously I’ve got commitments to Fox and to here at the radio program and I’m really having a great time,” Rivera added. “But I figure at my age, if I’m going to do it I’ve got to do it. And there doesn’t seem to be any Republicans ready to work against or run against Corey Booker, the popular Newark mayor.”

Rivera could face a tough primary challenge, however, with reports suggesting that Assembly Minority Leader Jon Bramnick of Westfield, state Sen. Joe Kyrillos of Monmouth County and Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno are all weighing bids for the GOP ticket.

No, the part about him running as a Republican is no typo:

To give you a sense of the trouble he’ll have being taken seriously, CNN’s headline for this story is “Geraldo Rivera has campaign plans in the vault.” Two things here. One: Isn’t he a little old to break into politics? He’ll be 70 on election day. I realize we’ve nominated guys older than that for president, but McCain had spent decades in the Senate and could at least boast that age in his case came with experience. As it is, if you’re an independent in Jersey and inclined to roll the dice on a “new guy,” why not roll it on the much younger, charismatic Cory Booker? And if you’re of the mind that age doesn’t matter at all, why not send Lautenberg back for his thousandth term? He’s a state institution and has a winning reelection pitch as the New Jersey senator who hasn’t been linked to underaged hookers.

Two: What’s the case for Geraldo over either of those two? The issue he’s most closely associated with is immigration and that’s likely to be done with, one way or another, by the time he’d enter the Senate. It’s not impossible to win statewide office in Jersey as a Republican but it’s hard: Christie’s cruising along to reelection only because of his surge in popularity after Sandy. Geraldo’s one big advantage is name recognition, but not all of that recognition is good — re-read that CNN headline — and Democrats will work overtime to boost Booker’s profile ahead of the election given his national potential. So how does he win? A massive self-funded campaign a la Bloomberg circa 2002, who also avoided the difficulties of a Democratic primary by running as an, ahem, “Republican”?

One way or another, I’m curious to hear if the candidate’s finally reached any firm conclusions about what brought down WTC 7. Here’s the audio, via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Imagine him debating the corpse Frank Lautenbergermeister?

The Hispanic Hysteric versus the whiter than white old rich guy.

PappyD61 on January 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM

350 million people in this Country. Can’t we find a better candidate. For God’s sake. Do we really want a Senator who gave away troop coordinates in Iraq?

rjoco1 on January 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM

New Jersey. ‘Nuff said…

deepdiver on January 31, 2013 at 6:31 PM

The clowns just keep on piling out of that car, don’t they?

Cleombrotus on January 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Spitty McSpithead.

Good luck with that.

hillbillyjim on January 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Cleombrotus on January 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I think my reaction to reading that was the first time I smiled today.

deepdiver on January 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM

This could really vault his career to new heights.

Flange on January 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Maybe as a Senator he could find the hidden Capitol Hill vault that contains the magical debt killing $1 Trillion coins…..

dentarthurdent on January 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM

350 million people in this Country. Can’t we find a better candidate.

Sure we could, but better people tend to be reluctant in wanting to serve in national office facing a hostile media onslaught in campaigning for one thing. Politics has always been a magnet for crooks and clowns.

hawkeye54 on January 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Meh, with his record, he’d uncover where Teddy dumped his empties instead.

hawkeye54 on January 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

The clowns just keep on piling out of that car, don’t they?

Cleombrotus on January 31, 2013 at 6:35 PM

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!! The only problem now is that I’ll have to wipe my evening beverage from my 30 inch monitor!!!!!!

CJ

Calamity Jane on January 31, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Gosh, he took a pistol into combat, can’t you see he’s a real man!
/sarc

Once a douche, always a douche.

S. D. on January 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Wait, he’s a Republican?! Based on everything he’s ever said, I can’t imagine why.

Anyway, I recommend everyone go over to youtube and relive Geraldo’s finest moment: “GERALDO RIVERA BREAKS HIS NOSE – SKINHEAD BRAWL 1988″

Jingo95 on January 31, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Are you ready for Senator Geraldo?

…will he me sitting next to Minisoda’s Al Franken?

KOOLAID2 on January 31, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Are you ready for Senator Geraldo?

Oh barf!

woodNfish on January 31, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Well it was not like the GOP was going to win that seat anyway so at least it will be entertaining.

The real question should be: Who is more conservative Booker or Geraldo? I am not joking either….

William Eaton on January 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Also:

Christie/Geraldo 2016…every RINOs wet dream come true…

William Eaton on January 31, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Democrat in sheep’s clothing.

Murf76 on January 31, 2013 at 8:01 PM

If Geraldo becomes a senator, what will his poor brother do? The guy works as a “correspondent” on Geraldo’s show but never appears elsewhere on Fox, and the senate probably has nepotism restrictions. So back to working the counter at the pizza joint?

NealK on January 31, 2013 at 8:03 PM

If Guilty, Menendez Could Face 30 Years in Prison

If Senator Bob Menendez of New Jersey is found guilty of traveling to the Dominican Republic to engage in sexual intercourse with underage prostitutes, he could face up to 30 years prison. The appropriate law, which would seem to apply in this instance, is the Prosecutorial Remedies And Other Tools To End The Exploitation Of Children Today (or the Protect Act).
Bob Menendez

Menendez voted for the law when he was a member of the House of Representatives.

“TRAVEL WITH INTENT TO ENGAGE IN ILLICIT SEXUAL CONDUCT”…

Resist We Much on January 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Hope he wins. Anything to get this liberal trash off the airways in Knoxville!

devan95 on January 31, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Wouldn’t he be running to the left of Booker?

talkingpoints on January 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Senator ‘Stache

yup, just coined it.
@AsalamaTweetum

Opinionnation on January 31, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Anything to get this idiot off my radio!

seanrobins on January 31, 2013 at 9:34 PM

I once believed such a thing was impossible; then I saw “Senator Clinton,” “Senator Franken,” and “President Obama.”

DrMagnolias on January 31, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Hell, Jon Corzine can be his campaign finance director . . .

BigAlSouth on January 31, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Geraldo is holding his age well. Critics are right. They will use his age against him. The one ting that got Obama elected both times was his youth. Looks makes a big difference. With Obama it was all superficial and good propaganda from the news media. Geraldo has a definite appeal, and he could represent the hispanics very well. He is a very tenacious debater. If Al Frankin can be in Congress. Why not Geraldo?

Portia on January 31, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Geraldo Rivera a Republican? My God, he makes Karl Marx look like a conservative. This has got to be a joke.

savage24 on January 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Gosh, I can see the campaign now with Geraldo smashing concrete structures at the Meadowlands looking for proof that Frank Lautenberg conspired with “Tony Pro” Provenzano to get Jimmy Hoffa.

herdgadfly on January 31, 2013 at 10:18 PM

It’s like the last days of Rome. All kinds of nuts were becoming Senators. Just to say they were.

JellyToast on January 31, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Yuck.

smill1953 on February 1, 2013 at 2:50 AM

Well if he brings in some Hispanic voters to the Republican party, it’s just about the same thing to me.

Viz: We’re not going to get that many “Constitutionalists” from immigration. I doubt we’re going to get that many “Guard the border” conservatives; people don’t like to close off paths of opportunity that they, themselves, used. We may get more of the Hispanic vote, but it’s a vote for de facto politics and pandering.

If it’s going to move the whole country to the left and result in more Dem-ish politics it’s all about the same to me. Might as well have a Hispanic liberal Pub move things that way, too.

Axeman on February 1, 2013 at 10:10 AM

My dad looked that good at age 70. He’s 94 now, and still mentally surpasses a sizeable minority of U.S. senators.

Marcola on February 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Haters! He’s no stupider or mendacious than 90% of the Senate.

mojo on February 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Haters! He’s no stupider or mendacious than 90% of the Senate. – mojo on February 1, 2013 at 11:44 AM

True, but can’t we dream of someone about electing someone with honor and integrity to the Senate. He currently married to his fifth wife ……… and has had countless mistresses. He should be given the Kennedy seat in the Senate.

SC.Charlie on February 1, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Marcola on February 1, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Don’t be so modest. If your dad is 94 and not entirely senile, he’s brighter than the half-vast majority of all the politicians in Congress and the White House.

He!! – my dad is still brighter than a lot of them – and he died in October.

dentarthurdent on February 1, 2013 at 4:36 PM

First Franken…and now Geraldo????

Democrats are trying to turn the Senate into a third-rate reality show!!!

Geraldo has experience whipping up interest in huge empty containers (like Jimmy Hoffa’s vault), so maybe he’ll fit right in with the culture of fraud and deception which Harry Reid et. al. have built.

landlines on February 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM

He’ll lower the IQ of the GOP, but not by much, given the state of the party nowadays.

Feedie on February 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Geraldo has the sleaze factor big time IMHO. He can join the other sleazes; he will fit right in. :::gag:::

francesca on February 4, 2013 at 4:59 PM

There you go Karl! Your first Candidate.

bluefox on February 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM