Quotes of the day

posted at 10:31 pm on January 30, 2013 by Allahpundit

Sen. Marco Rubio is having a moment. He’s a charismatic senator from a battleground state whose Cuban heritage and support for immigration reform are helping his party begin a new courtship with Hispanic voters. This much we know. But Rubio is exploiting an opportunity that goes beyond simply good timing and the right last name. He is getting the chance to be first at bat in a larger effort: the post-election audition for GOP leadership. Of all the would-be Republican stars—and the list is long and likely to grow—Rubio is getting a chance to show exactly what it looks like to move the party in a new direction…

The most important political skill is midwifery. The leader who moves the Republican Party into a new era, where it is more attractive to middle-class voters, minorities, and younger voters, will need to communicate a vision as well as communicate back to the base how he is not selling out the party’s core principles. In this effort, Rubio will get a crack at showing key presidential governing skills—the ability to nurse complex legislation by identifying common interests with Democrats while working with Republicans friends through a mixture of cajoling, flattery, and strong-arming.

***

Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, an unlikely ally of Obama’s on this issue, appeared on Rush Limbaugh’s radio show on Tuesday and recognized the Right’s discomfort with easing immigration laws. Like Obama, his defense of immigration reform seemed to be yoked to American exceptionalism.

“It doesn’t feel right in some instances to allow people who have come here undocumented to be able to stay. I know some people are uncomfortable with that notion,” said Rubio, a son of immigrants. “But I would just say this to you: If this country goes downhill, there’s nowhere else in the world. There’s nothing else. There’s no replacement for it. There’s no alternative for America. It’s either us or no one.”

And so perhaps now Republicans in Congress have two reasons to cast a risky vote in favor of conditional amnesty. The first, of course, is the fact that 70 percent of Hispanic and Asian voters supported Obama in the 2012 election, a reflection of a demographic tsunami threatening to destroy the GOP. The second is that, setting aside blind prejudice and “us-versus-them” mentalities, immigration reform is essentially conservative.

***

It seems the conservatives who are most skeptical of immigration reform don’t oppose the merits of Rubio’s framework, so much as they simply refuse to believe it would ever be enacted or enforced.

In other words, they simply don’t trust that the law will be obeyed. They believe Democrats can do whatever they want, and the best conservatives can hope for is to slow them down and not give them any ideas.

This is very destructive for democracy. I wish I could say the cynicism and paranoia was entirely unfounded.

***

Rubio’s bill is nothing but amnesty. It isn’t even “amnesty thinly disguised as border enforcement.” This is a wolf in wolf’s clothing

The only thing the newly legalized illegal immigrants won’t get immediately is citizenship. Rubio claims that under his plan, they won’t be able to vote or go on welfare. But in practice, they’ll have to wait only until the ACLU finds a judge to say otherwise…

With Hispanics on track to become the largest ethnic group in California this year, the state that gave us Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan is incapable of electing any Republican statewide anymore. Taxes keep going up, and there’s no one left to pay the bill.

That will be our entire country if Republicans fall for Rubio’s phony “Enforcement First!” plan. Perplexingly, some Republicans seem determined to turn the whole nation into California, in the foolish hope of winning one last election.

***

“There are Republicans who will tear up their Republican voting cards over this,” said Dan Stein, the president of the Federation for American Immigration Reform, which opposes the bill.

Rubio is widely considered to be among the party’s top-tier contenders in 2016, but this wasn’t necessarily a fight he needed to be involved in. Not only does the effort contain the chance of angering hardcore primary voters, but Rubio, the son of Cuban exiles, would be able to get Hispanic voters and those pushing for a more moderating voice on immigration within the party merely by his presence.

“Rubio has tried to neutralize [the anger on the right] because of the credibility he has with Tea Party folks, but once real measures are put down in black and white you are going to see the bloggers and talk-show hosts on the right become less and less polite,” said Mark Krikorian, the director of the Center for Immigration Studies, which is devoted to limited immigration. “Rubio’s stock among conservatives is going to start going down over the next six months, and I think he has pretty much doomed his chances for 2016.”

***

At least two 2012 polls provided some evidence that support for large-scale immigration alienates white voters.

Fifty-seven percent of “white working-class Americans … agree that illegal immigrants taking jobs that would otherwise be filled by American citizens are responsible for our current economic problems,” said an August survey of 2,501 Americans by the Public Religion Research Institute…

That poll was echoed by a Quinnipiac University poll whose results are a mirror of the Latino Decisions survey.

Quinnipiac’s poll showed that 27 percent of voters in Ohio and Pennsylvania said Obama’s de facto amnesty policy made them less likely to vote for the president’s re-election. Only 11.5 percent of voters in the two states said the policy made them more supportive of Obama, said the survey.

***

Public attitudes about immigration: Immigration policy is not a top priority for the U.S. general public or for Hispanics. According to a recent survey of U.S. adults, 39% said that dealing with the issue of illegal immigration should be a top priority for the president and the Congress, placing 17th on a list of policy priorities (Pew Research Center, 2013). For Hispanics, one-third said the issue of immigration was extremely important to them personally, behind issues like the economy and jobs, education and health care (Lopez and Gonzalez-Barrera, 2012).

Attitudes about immigration policy priorities: Among U.S. adults, 28% say the priority for dealing with illegal immigration should be given to tighter restrictions on illegal immigration while 27% say creating a path to citizenship should be the priority. A plurality (42%) says both tactics should be given equal priority. (Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, 2012). Latinos are more likely than the general public (42% versus 27%) to say the priority should be a path to citizenship for immigrants who are in the U.S. illegally. Just 10% of Latinos say priority should be given to better border security and enforcement. Latinos (46%) and the general public (42%) are about equally likely to say priority should be given to enforcement and legalization (Lopez, Gonzalez-Barrera and Motel, 2011).

***

Yes, there will be fewer whites and more minorities in the future, and Republicans will have to adjust. But the situation is more complicated than that.

Start with the obvious: If demographics were determinative, then Republicans shouldn’t have gained 63 seats in the House of Representatives in 2010—the largest midterm shift since 1938—while also taking 30 governorships…

The major impediment is the harsh rhetoric of some Republicans regarding immigration. The solution is less about policy than about respect for the Hispanic community. If federal immigration law is reformed with substantial Republican support—including for a long and demanding but achievable process of earning legal status—the GOP can consistently earn 35%-40% among Hispanics. Having Sen. Marco Rubio as the GOP spokesman on immigration issues will hasten the GOP recovery.

Demography isn’t destiny because nothing is permanent in politics—and Democrats’ insistence to the contrary will likely lead them to overreach, ignoring issues such as jobs, anemic growth and deficits in order to tackle gun control and climate change.

***

McCain said he hoped to get at least 80 votes for any bill that eventually comes to the floor, although he conceded that there would be naysayers…

If the issue isn’t resolved, McCain said that some states, like his own — which have large Hispanic populations — “will go from Republican to Democratic over time.”

“I think it’s a danger,” McCain said of Republicans permanently forfeiting the Hispanic vote.

***

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

So your aware, Mrs Marshfox(Lila Munro) agrees with you, I should write it, there you happy now!:)

MarshFox on January 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM

You should! Hey, I was thinking — maybe you could sort of buy your family off with the possibility of fame. Don’t dismiss it! Real Housewives ring a bell? People want that.

I might buy a rotisserie chicken.

I’ll keep you posted.

SparkPlug on January 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM

You should turn that decision over a few times first.

Axe on January 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I wore my cowboy boots but only said “y’all” maybe 3 times.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 30, 2013 at 11:44 PM

That’s what outed me when I lived in Cali. Ya’ll and Fixin’ to.

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM

RIP..

Dire Straits on January 30, 2013 at 11:35 PM

The Great WWII Generation continues falling by the wayside.

Those three sisters brightened things for a lot of military servicemen.

listens2glenn on January 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

When you start digging into his background, it isn’t as pristine as he wants you to believe. He stopped all enforcement bills from getting to the floor when he was speaker in Florida. And that whole timeline of his father leaving Cuba has been questioned. Mountain of debt too.

TxAnn56 on January 30, 2013 at 11:44 PM

You substitute “Hawaii” and “Chicago” for “Florida”, and “Kenya” for “Cuba” in his background, and you got a Republican Obama, only worse in some sense. And he is the great Conservative hope! What a country!

Igor R. on January 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

It’s Rubio Week here at Hot Gas!

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Evening lovely and talented one! I think they really want us to really, really like him. Its not working out to well for them at this point. ; )

Bmore on January 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM

lol — Electron lit both our fuses. :)

Axe on January 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM

But, of course. It is US.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Pugsley is serving files even as I type. :) Wednesday is still in pieces . . . I designed her from scratch. I can only afford to machine the parts in waves . . . she’s the computer . . .

Axe on January 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM

From your stream of consciousness, are you sure Thing isn’t doing the typing.

TxAnn56 on January 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Axe on January 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I see where we had a couple of casualties at HA over the weekend..:)

Dire Straits on January 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I think that trait is in the Bush DNA. George P. moved here from Florida and has a nice little PAC of his own. He’s the next one they’re trying to ram down our throats. All I know is that everyone I talk too says the same thing, no more Bushes.

TxAnn56 on January 30, 2013 at 11:36 PM

“Get out (of) da Bushes”, the only thing Jesse Jackson ever said worth repeating.

TXUS on January 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

The crazy neighbour lady has stopped praying. Atlast, some peace.

tommy71 on January 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

This thread is kind of like groundhog day from yesterday’s, but there’s still plenty of opining to do. HOnestly though, we all know how it’s going to end: R’s will get bent over and get nothing in return.

Jackalope on January 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM

lol, they’ll get a little sumpin.

arnold ziffel on January 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 30, 2013 at 11:44 PM

You have cowboy boots??!!??..You have arrived..:)

Dire Straits on January 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

He’s already had some financial irregularities, lied about the circumstances of his birth, was always pro-amnesty in Florida, sold himself as a Tea Party guy, went anti-amnesty for a while, changed his mind for no apparent reason, is now peddling the old McClame stuff without any substantive changes, pretending to be deaf and dumb when it comes to instant legalization REGARDLESS of what happens with the stupid “border enforcement”, is having a bromance with Hannity and got Rush all misty eyed. Not bad for an idiot. A traitor, that’s what he is.

Igor R. on January 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM

He’s an opportunist, not much better than Charlie Crist. The press will have a field day with his inconsistencies.

JPeterman on January 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Bmore on January 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM

A hearty good evening to you, B! Lolz, too true about Rubio.

BTW, if your better half EVER bakes a fresh apricot pie/cobbler, I’m on the next plane out there!

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Axe on January 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Be careful around Uncle Fester. He was in on the Kennedy a/s/sasssination.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on January 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM

tommy71 on January 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

What was she praying for?

Bmore on January 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Chemman- yep. People don’t know. The trails I see look like they drove cattle through. Ruby Rd north of nogales is littered with debris, trails. See it with my own eyes.

After a hard rain,, new tracks.

I’m going to tell you straight up. I live here, it’s no bullshit, they are coming over in hoardes.

I don’t know where they all go,, but here they pass by. In large numbers.

I can only report what I see.

wolly4321 on January 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM

You should turn that decision over a few times first.

Axe on January 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

haha. lol. Did you load your semi-automatic poofer tonight?

SparkPlug on January 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM

JPeterman on January 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Only when he gets the Republican presidential nomination. While he playing a useful idiot on amnesty they’ll treat him with kid gloves as a champion of bipartisanship.

Igor R. on January 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on January 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Hello, Dire! I always smile when you & Mr. B are here.
Hope your Wednesday has been good…so far. :)

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

wolly4321 on January 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I know how bad it is in the barrio of Houston, I can’t even imagine what you go through. I really feel for you.

TxAnn56 on January 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Apricot you say. I will have to study up on the season for them, and see if anyone is growing them around here. I have never had an apricot pie. Be worth trying if I could tempt you and yours this way. ; ) I bet they are delicious.

Bmore on January 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Those three sisters brightened things for a lot of military servicemen.

listens2glenn on January 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Yes they did..:)

Dire Straits on January 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

B, don’t know and don’t wanna know. And not of our faith, so it annoys me.

tommy71 on January 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

The crazy neighbour lady has stopped praying. Atlast, some peace.

tommy71 on January 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I’ve GOT to ask ….. is this some pentecostal/charismaniac Christian (which I happen to be BTW), or someone of another religion?

listens2glenn on January 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Be careful around Uncle Fester. He was in on the Kennedy a/s/sasssination.

Resist We Much on January 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Wow, I thought I was the only one that figured that out!

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

And cancer….join with me to pass amnesty, and we will cure cancer. Oh, and the crippled will walk.

Sheesh, talk about your non sequitors.

xblade on January 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

You can resume when you return. But that’s a pretty good start you got going there! … : )

listens2glenn on January 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Be careful, Axe, or they might want to hire you to replace Carney.

TXUS on January 30, 2013 at 11:47 PM

It’s crazy. It’s really just a couple of day worth of news with more straightforward titles! And I really didn’t run out . . . just got thirsty and quit. :)

Samuel Clemens was a jackass, but I’d love to give him a fifty year span centered right about here. He’d never stop writing. Thinking . . . we’ve got Steyn . . . well, Malkin, but she’s narrowly channeled. It’ll be interesting to see where RWM goes. I dunno — do we have a modern Twain getting some of this? Novel, essay, story, speech?

Axe on January 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Igor R. on January 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Sounds alot like Juan McCain. They slobbered all over him until he got the nom and then BAM, came the NYT article about some affair. (And can we say “if” he gets the nom? – “when” makes me queasy)

TxAnn56 on January 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

wolly4321 on January 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I feel for you, wolly. I truly do. Don’t think I could handle that.

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Dire Straits on January 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Who got banned.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM

l2g, another religion altogether. And de*onic, I tell ya. I got that much spiritual discernment.

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Hello, Dire! I always smile when you & Mr. B are here.

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

whatevs.

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I bet they are delicious.

Bmore on January 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Yep! It’s peach X 10!

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Resist We Much on January 30, 2013 at 11:43 PM

So if Yglesias (that antisemitic P.O.S.) thinks Republicans are partially responsible 1.5 years into divided government, what does he have to say about the economy 2 years into full Democratic control of the House and Senate back in 2008? Guess Bush wasn’t responsible for the recession after all?

steebo77 on January 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

So how many years is it gonna take for the illegals to become citizens?

tommy71 on January 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM

According to Rubio 10+ but in reality probably less than five. The Dems will want them voting ASAP. Hell, many are.

In my field, there a saying: There’s the program you propose … the program you sell … and the program you operate.

bw222 on January 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Wow, I thought I was the only one that figured that out!

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

You, too???

Resist We Much on January 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I bet they are delicious.

Bmore on January 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Yep! It’s peach X 10!

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM

P.S. Preserves are also numero uno. You haven’t lived until you’ve had some fresh apricot preserves.

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Good evening, fine folks.

Rusty Allen on January 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM

TxAnn56 on January 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

We can say “when”, but he is the current favorite of the Soros wing of Republicans.

Igor R. on January 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM

whatevs.

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM

In fairness, you weren’t here. Frig run remember?

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM

bw222, thanks for the info. And Rusty, welcome to the pm crew. :-)

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Capt Ed got rid of a couple in this Green Room post..)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:07 AM

whatevs.

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM

And, of course, I smile even bigger when I see Axe here…until he dogs me (yet again) for never remembering who open for whom at any given concert. :D

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:07 AM

OT/TESTING

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Igor R. on January 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM

If this thing goes down in flames, and I’m doing all I can to make it happen, don’t you think he will have destroyed all credibility with real conservatives? I think if a Mike Pence or a Ted Cruz steps forward, he’s vulnerable. Those are big ifs, but I know I’d rather vote for the Rent’s Too High guy than Rubio, if I even voted at all.

TxAnn56 on January 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

OT/TESTING

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:07 A

Not working. Sorry.

KCB on January 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

OT/TESTING

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Try it again. I think its broke.

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Wow, I thought I was the only one that figured that out!

4Grace on January 30, 2013 at 11:57 PM

You, too???

Resist We Much on January 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Well, anyone with a dollop of deductive reasoning could see it!

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Not working. Sorry.

KCB on January 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

He should probably start taking it apart to see whats wrong with it, don’t ya think?

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I see that our loyal allies Pakistan has banned Zero Dark Thirty. Puke!

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Hi Rusty Allen

Jackalope on January 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Good evening, fine folks.

Rusty Allen on January 31, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Hello, Rusty! Hope you’re feeling a bit better & wearing a smile.

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I see where we had a couple of casualties at HA over the weekend..:)

Dire Straits on January 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Looked like ducks, quacked like ducks . . . *shrug*

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Nah, I get it.

Saw them open for Hendrix back in ’93, by the way. :)

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Well, anyone with a dollop of deductive reasoning could see it!

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Okay, that’s just not right. You two are smarter than me.

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM

So how many years is it gonna take for the illegals to become citizens?

tommy71 on January 30, 2013 at 11:46 PM

bw222 on January 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Without a voter ID laws … absolutely.
Multiple times per person, I might add.

listens2glenn on January 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I know I would. Probably has a flux capacitor that is shot. They are only good for so many miles…

KCB on January 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM

TxAnn56 on January 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

It’s to his political benefit whether he realizes it or not for this thing to go down in flames. In fact in the short term it’s to many people’s benefit, that’s why it even has a chance of not succeeding. If he tries but it fails, he can always blame Obama as the real enemy of the Hispanics and portray himself as a champion. Cruz is my favorite, but I’m a little worried about his “natural born citizen” status, because that’s already being questioned. I don’t think Pence is charismatic enough to go anywhere. Ran Paul may get some traction, but he is almost as soft on amnesty as Rubio.

Igor R. on January 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

TxAnn56 on January 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

You crack me up!
(P.S. Knowing that you really mean it makes it even funnier.)

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

LoLz..:)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

haha. lol. Did you load your semi-automatic poofer tonight?

SparkPlug on January 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM

:) Tommy started counting. Freaked me out. I didn’t want to be there when he got to wherever he was going. I checked back. No one died, by the way. No one important anyway. I’ll know better now. :)

Try it again. I think its broke.

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM

That formatting isn’t getting through, anyway. :) You never know; thought I’d try.

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I’m doing much better, thanks.

Rusty Allen on January 31, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:15 AM

My best advice is that you start taking it apart and tinkering with it.

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Nah, I get it.

Saw them open for Hendrix back in ’93, by the way. :)

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I’d be offended, if it weren’t so freakin funny. And if I didn’t deserve it.

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Axe, sorry that I freaked both you and 4Grace out. I knew it. Lol

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Rusty, keep away from the darn bathtub. :-)

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Okay, that’s just not right. You two are smarter than me.

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Haha

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I know this is far fetched..But why doesn’t the USA put some pressure on Mexico to start “building” a middle class??..Seems like we have ever Tom, Dick and Harry in goverment trying to tell Israel what to do..This makes no sense..:)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Go Cornhuskers! Another one on our side.

Sen. Deb Fischer said Wednesday she will not support legislation providing a pathway to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

TxAnn56 on January 31, 2013 at 12:20 AM

My best advice is that you start taking it apart and tinkering with it.

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:17 AM

And use wrenches and hammers..:)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM

l2g, hope you read my earlier comment to you.

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM

steebo77 on January 31, 2013 at 12:02 AM

C’mon, you know that’s not how it works!

Obama: I Built Tha…Um, Er, Ah, No, Republicans Built That!

“Right now, our economy is growing…”

- President Barack Obama, Presidential news conference, 14 January 2013

“You see that economic growth? I BUILT THAT!”

- President Barack Obama, 14 January 2013

“The Commerce Department said Wednesday that the economy contracted at an annual rate of -0.1 percent in the fourth quarter. That’s a sharp slowdown from the 3.1 percent growth rate in the July-September quarter. The surprise contraction could raise fears about the economy’s ability to handle tax increases that took effect in January and looming spending cuts.”

- Associated Press, 30 January 2013

We have seen consistent job growth over almost three years. Home prices are starting to climb back, consumer confidence overall has been rising, consumer spending have been rising, but there is more work to do, and our economy is facing major headwinds, which goes to your point. And that is: Republicans in Congress.

- Jay Carney, White House Spokeskid, 30 January 2013

“You see that economic contraction. I, I, I DIDN’T BUILD THA…UM, ER, AH, NO, REPUBLICANS BUILT THAT!!! That’s the Republicans’ fault because they want dirty air, dirty water, kids with autism to fend for themselves, elderly people to eat catfood, children to have to walk 50 miles to dilapidated schools all so that they can spend government money on tax cuts for hedge fund managers, bankers, CEOs, corporate jet owners, Big Oil, Big Coal, and doctors, who just RIIIIPPPPPP out tonsils with their bare hands and charge $500,000 for an amputation! They don’t believe that everyone should have a fair shot, a fair share. They think that it is unpatriotic to ask people like me to give ‘just a little bit more of the money that we don’t need’ to fund school breakfasts and lunches so that poor children will know what a hot meal feels like in their mouths. So, when you see that contraction, you just remember who built it!”

- President Barack Obama, 30 January 2013

Resist We Much on January 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM

When I look at Marco Rubio, now all I see is the face of John McCain looking back at me and I can almost hear, “My friends, my friends …” coming from his mendacious mouth. It has become very clear that Rubio is The Man Who Never Was. He’s just an actor with a no longer very convincing act, so teenage girls you can get over your crush on him now. Since Marco Rubio is now calling amnesty, “earnesty”, I am wondering when he will officially/legally change his name from Marco Rubio to Marco Orwell. Perhaps in the next Batman movie, as the series gets ever more worn out, he can play a composite of the Joker and Two-Face.

VorDaj on January 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

TXAnn- you get it. It’s not an imaginary problem. It’s my backporch.
Soon to affect others. I like the desert. And I track game to hunt. Footprints obscure paws. Hard to miss. I’m just am amatuer.

It’s bad. There are a lot coming over. Nobody stops them.

wolly4321 on January 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I’m doing much better, thanks.

Rusty Allen on January 31, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Great to hear! Gotta tune you want to play?

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

And use wrenches and hammers..:)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Hands down the best tools for tinkering.

KCB on January 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Ah. Interesting thread. I’ve stopped going to Mass(since my mother died)-mainly because Christianity teaches that non-believers go to hell. My parents were Jewish. I don’t beleive that Jews go to hell if they don’t accept Jesus.With BOTH my parents now gone, I just don’t think I can belong to any ‘my-way-or-else’ faiths. I still wear a cross-but I’m considering myself to be a generic deist. *Lubbock is too muslim to be openly Jewish*

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

If the Dems and the RINOs were actually trying to do what’s good for the country that would seem rational. It’s too late to even pretend like every single one of them is simply trying to sell the country down the river, but for slightly different reasons. Has ANYTHING in the US foreign policy made any sense lately? Fiscal policy? Black is the new white, and white is the new black.

Igor R. on January 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM

And use wrenches and hammers..:)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Lol! Yes big hammers. ; )

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM

The Pakis fear Zero Dark Thirty. Don’t want to antagonize the crazies. So ban it.

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Axe, sorry that I freaked both you and 4Grace out. I knew it. Lol

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Didn’t really freak me out. I was just trying to decide if you were doing it out of boredom, or what.

Let us know if your wacky, demonic neighbor starts in with this.

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Igor R. on January 31, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Cut the birther crap. Cruz was born in Canada to TWO US citizens who were working in the petroleum industry. They weren’t Canadian citizens.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Not an issue tonight :)

Rusty Allen on January 31, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Amen, Rusty, amen.

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I hear you..:)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM

I counted along with you. What the heII were you cooking?

Bmore on January 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM

4Grace, ill try to find one.

Rusty Allen on January 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Anyway, bluegill, I’m against:

1. Passing a bill that makes illegals legal, effectively making them citizens even if there is some fake waiting period after that that means little or nothing;

2. Passing a bill that doesn’t secure the border;

3. Living in a country where the people in Congress actually have the pearls to pass laws in two sections, where the second section begins with anything remotely like, “If anyone actually did the first part we wrote, this part is valid”;

4. Trying to sacrifice this Rubio fellow like a sacrificial lamb, claiming it was his job to fix the problem and he somehow mucked it up, when the people sacrificing him are cowardly ghouls that wouldn’t fix the problem themselves and have been eying his boots the whole time he’s been shoved forward;

5. Chicks with last first names.

Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Since “Rubio” means “Blonde” in Spanish you can imagine him slowly removing is wig while laughing diabolically.

My favorite orwellian concept he keeps promulgated is “going to the back of the line”. It’s all about being ANYWHERE in the line, you damn liar!

Igor R. on January 31, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Wait, bluegill was here??

Rusty Allen on January 31, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Igor R. on January 31, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Agreed..Not with Team Obie..:)

PS..I thought Team Dubya did a lot better..)

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Igor R. on January 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Igor, my son with the beautiful Russian ballerina is back!

PootyPoot on January 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Dire Straits on January 31, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Thing is, the dems and RINOs are trying to destroy the middle class. They would like nothing better than the same bimodal society that Mexico has. With themselves as the upper class of course.

AZfederalist on January 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

5. Chicks with last first names.
Axe on January 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Even “Morgan”? I think that a great name.

Rusty Allen on January 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

It’s bad. There are a lot coming over. Nobody stops them.

wolly4321 on January 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

I’m sure with the smell of amnesty in the air, it’s getting worse. Ya know, I took a trip to Maine last summer and it was like stepping into a time warp. I thought it was Houston circa 1963. The McDonald’s was spotless and the staff were American teenagers who spoke English. I kept thinking, you guys don’t even know what it’s like outside of here. If this goes through, it’ll seep up there eventually.

TxAnn56 on January 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Lolz, Twerp. I’m getting whiplash from your religion switching.
Maybe just take some “time off” and really search & study and you’ll find what is true. (No disrespect meant. Just trying to help.)

4Grace on January 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM

He was born abroad. I would vote for him because he is by far the best one available, but I keep seeing this topic brought up over and over in the conservative blogs I read. I don’t know if you remember they had to treat McClame in a special way because he was born in Panama, of course to two US citizens.

Igor R. on January 31, 2013 at 12:32 AM

B, I always cook exotic stuff. I got a strange background. Cook stuff that you may not even have heard of. :-) And Axe, don’t even mention the gilled one. Scary if it appears here.

tommy71 on January 31, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Five Rubio pictures currently on Top Picks…

KCB on January 31, 2013 at 12:34 AM