Cruz to Illinois banks, gun companies: Come on down to Texas!

posted at 7:41 pm on January 29, 2013 by Mary Katharine Ham

Our new Sen. Ted Cruz, of the great state of Texas, has a knack for making himself heard, and I look forward to a tenure filled with such press statements.

Dear Rahm, this is what a little state-to-state competition looks like. Companies bullied by Mayor Pottymouth aren’t obligated to stay in the cold, bankrupt, and increasingly inhospitable state of Illinois. And, Cruz is proactive in his pitch to Rahm-targeted Bank of America, TD Bank, Sturm & Ruger, and Smith & Wesson (though not proactive in the subsidies arms race we too often see in state competition over sports teams and big companies):

You may be understandably concerned that there are risks to refusing to comply with the demands of a politician who has earned the nickname, “The Godfather.”

In Texas, we have a more modest view of government.

We do not accept the notion that government officials should behave as bullies, trying to harass or pressure private companies into enlisting in a political lobbying campaign. And we subscribe to the notion, quaint in some quarters, that private companies don’t work for elected officials; elected officials work for private citizens.

In light of the reception you have received in the Windy City, please know that Texas would certainly welcome more of your business and the jobs you create. Texas value jobs and value freedom, and over 1000 people a day are moving to Texas (often from cities like Chicago), because Texas is where the jobs are.

In true conservative fashion, Cruz offers the companies the right to be left alone and perhaps not demonized at every turn. He also thanks Smith & Wesson for its commitment to the Second Amendment and says he’d be glad to make introductions between them and some Texas banks if the need should arise. Then, a dig at Rahm himself:

Finally, to Mayor Emanuel, you recently were obliged to pay over $1.1 million of taxpayer money in legal fees due to your unsuccessful assault on the Second Amendment. And, your city’s longstanding policies stripping citizens of their constitutional right to keep and bear arms have, in turn, created some of the very highest crime and murder rates in the Nation.

I don’t know, Sen. Cruz. Things are so peachy for the citizens of Chicago, with no guns in sight. Why change plans?

The count is now zero conservative government officials who’ve tried to ban birth control, two liberal mayors who’ve tried to ban a fried-chicken joint, and now one liberal mayor who’s trying to ban by bullying business with gun companies.

Comments

I have to laugh when pols tell job creators to get out of their state.

Blake on January 29, 2013 at 7:44 PM

There are banks in chi-town still? why?

Flapjackmaka on January 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I am so looking forward to Senator Cruz’s first speech on the Senate floor.

CoffeeLover on January 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I’m telling you, as of right now……CRUZ 2016.

He is sounding more and more like he wants to take it to them.

….but, he is a politician so there’s that.

PappyD61 on January 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM

My husband and I, lifetime Michiganders, are only here because my Dad is 83 and needs us…….when he no longer needs us, we will be Texans.

waterytart on January 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM

…..but, if you’re a Liberal/Progressive/Marxist/Democrat….STAY UP NORTH or on the Coasts.

We don’t want you bringing your political worldview to the South.

PappyD61 on January 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Yeah, and the women are hotter too.
Example: Michelle Obama Versus, uh, heck, anyone. :P

RovesChins on January 29, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Excellent

wubu on January 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM

“And we subscribe to the notion, quaint in some quarters, that private companies don’t work for elected officials; elected officials work for private citizens.”

It’s like a break in the clouds exposing a single ray of light in the dark doom that surrounds us known as Obowma…

… Isn’t it?

Seven Percent Solution on January 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM

What a magnificent addition to the senate. Cruz’s election and his speaking out are inspirational.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 29, 2013 at 7:59 PM

This guy is really continuing to impress. MKH thanks for the good news story.

AZfederalist on January 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

waterytart on January 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM

More the merrier.
Yesterday, I was in Chicago for the first time since our move almost 2 years ago. I felt like a spy trapped behind enemy lines.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Well, looks like 1 Senator has a backbone..

hillsoftx on January 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM

We sure have a lot of interesting people to watch, when we can take our eyes off our wallets for a few seconds.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on January 29, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Welcome back, that was a quick trip. I hope you and your friend got to catch up.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Any banks doing biz in ChiTown will bring their corrupt tactics to Tx.

Good intentions but a very bad idea.

katy on January 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Man, I loved the excerpts from the letter. Tell it like it is senator. Emanuel, typical lib politician. We can’t get a handle on the gun crime, so let’s blame the guns and take the heat away from us. Let’s punish honest Americans, and continue to play hug a thug with the bangers. Probably not totally fair to CPD. I’m sure they are trying, but I have yet to find a lib that wants to lock up the criminals.

kam582 on January 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM

WOW, Yahoo News voters will be seeing this. Of course, most can’t or won’t read it…sigh.

Former Alaska governor and vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin has broken her silence after parting ways with Fox News, saying that she’s ready to reach a larger audience and suggesting that she’s ready to take on another media gig.

Don’t hold your breath Sarah.

Though it’s not quite a “larger audience,” in an exclusive interview with Breitbart.com, Palin tells Stephen K. Bannon, producer and director of the 2011 Palin documentary “The Undefeated,” that she and other “believers in American exceptionalism” need to reach beyond the converted to spread their message.

Asked what’s next following her split with Fox News, where she served as a contributor until last week, Palin offered, “Short term: I encourage others to step out in faith, jump out of the comfort zone and broaden our reach as believers in American exceptionalism.

“That means broadening our audience,” she continued.” I’m taking my own advice here as I free up opportunities to share more broadly the message of the beauty of freedom and the imperative of defending our republic and restoring this most exceptional nation.

“We can’t just preach to the choir; the message of liberty and true hope must be understood by a larger audience,” Palin added.

As for her post-Fox career options, Palin said that “the door is wide open,” including for another potential media position.

“I know the country needs more truth-telling in the media, and I’m willing to do that. So, we shall see,” Palin said. “And always in the center of it all I have an awesome, full, exciting and large family living in a very unique part of America that keeps me hopping! I love it!”

Palin hopped off of the Fox News contributors’ roster earlier this month, after working for the network since January 2010. While a spokesperson for the network didn’t say whose decision the departure was, the New York Times reported that Palin’s contract had expired and was not picked up, following negotiations that continued well into January.

At the time of the split, Fox News’ executive vice president, programming Bill Shine said, “We have thoroughly enjoyed our association with Governor Palin. We wish her the best in her future endeavors.”

Palin’s departure followed the announcement that Fox News had re-upped its agreement with Karl Rove, the former senior adviser to George W. Bush, and added liberal former presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich to its stable of contributors.

PappyD61 on January 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Im going to be very clear about this – Texas is being contaminated with people who are moving in from out of state.

They might be leaving their old homes and their old jobs (or lack of them) behind, but they are bringing their lilly livered twinkle toes communism with them.

What makes Texas great is being diluted and I am sick of politicians making points about moving to Texas.

They might bring short term jobs, but long term they will ruin Texas.

smorrow66 on January 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I admire certain pols taking shots at the liberal idiots, but I wish they would STFU and quit inviting everyone to come to Texas. We are already over run with liberals fleeing the states they have already ruined. If you are not conservative and willing to work hard, we DO NOT want you here. Welcome to Texas, now go home..

TEXASLEGAL on January 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Rahm isn’t afraid. Chicago won’t go bankrupt. At least as long as his pal Barry is in the White House. One thing about Democratic pols, they only think in the short term.

GarandFan on January 29, 2013 at 8:20 PM

They might bring short term jobs, but long term they will ruin Texas.

smorrow66 on January 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Welcome to California, where for the first time since 1849 the Native Californian population has finally exceeded 50.51 percent, that other 49.49 percent, yea they come from the other 57 states in the Union.

SWalker on January 29, 2013 at 8:21 PM

waterytart on January 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM

TXUS on January 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Ted Cruz has been great so far! I’m looking forward to more.

FloatingRock on January 29, 2013 at 8:25 PM

They might bring short term jobs, but long term they will ruin Texas.

smorrow66 on January 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM

THIS. I’m in Austin and it’s bad enough anyway. I am worried all these liberal a$$holes are going to ruin this great state. They are leaving their own states because these states are in bad shape, but they are coming to Texas and bringing that political baggage with them. Their votes will need to change!!!!

mimi1220 on January 29, 2013 at 8:29 PM

PappyD61 on January 29, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Karl Rove, the architect, of disaster.

Cindy Munford on January 29, 2013 at 8:30 PM

….but, he is a politician so there’s that.

PappyD61 on January 29, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I don’t think he’s been in D.C. long enough for that. His background doesn’t speak of politician imo, more legal and doing the right thing.

bluefox on January 29, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Ted Cruz has been great so far! I’m looking forward to more.

FloatingRock on January 29, 2013 at 8:25 PM

I spent about an hour at his Houston office today discussing amnesty with the staffer. Of course we had to stop and start with the phones ringing off the hook. He told me a couple of Cruz personal stories and I said that so far he’s walking the walk, which is 180 degrees opposite of the flip flopping opportunist Rubio. We’ll see. If he ends up being another DeMint or Sessions, then all the block walking and calling and standing in the heat will have been worth it.

TxAnn56 on January 29, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I just left my company in the Chicago burbs after 12 years to take a new job in the Indianapolis area. My family is doing our best to escape IL. We just have to find someone to buy our house and my wife and 3 of my children will join me here. One of our children came with me. After IL’s credit downgrade last week, it’s such a relief to be at least in the process of moving out. I’ve lived there all of my life except for my time in the Army. IL is falling apart.

kerrhome on January 29, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Here is the letter which I saw earlier today.

bluefox on January 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Paul/Cruz 2016

Oil Can on January 29, 2013 at 8:38 PM

O/T:

Here’s a little hometown news.

Culpeper police officer found guilty of voluntary manslaughter.

And local law enforcement are already pounding out soundbites about how the country shouldn’t use one bad cop as a measure of all officers. And then turn around and say they agree with gun control because of the actions of a single person.

This is called trying to have it both ways. So, Schumer, about those 7 round magazines….seems like 7 was ample in Culpeper. Maybe you should re-visit and reduce police officer magazine capacity to 1….call it the Barney Fife Rule.

BobMbx on January 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Have to say I’m enjoying these conservative Texans…Cruz…Abbott…Perry

workingclass artist on January 29, 2013 at 8:40 PM

mimi1220 on January 29, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I hear you. I lived in Austin for about a decade, for business reasons at the time, but got the hell out as soon as I could. It’s been a liberal wasteland since LBJ at least. I’m also familiar with a lot of Yankee libs who’ve come down to Texas who, after a while, convert quite well to true Texans after a while. For those I detect no hope for, I usually encourage them to move to Austin where they will be most comfortable. *ducks*

TXUS on January 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM

waterytart on January 29, 2013 at 7:48 PM

TXUS on January 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM

My wife and I have a different way of being hung up in a blue state:
I was born in Galveston, at Fort Crockett, when there was a Fort Crockett. I also lived in El Paso as a kid, and I was stationed at Fort Hood, 2d Armored Division, and we lived in Copperas Cove. We are red state people: I purchased my first gun, a Remington 22, when I was in the 7th grade, living at Ft. Niagara, when there was an active army Ft. Niagara. I purchased my first shotgun two years later at Ft. Rucker, Alabama, where I could walk out my back door and go bird hunting.
I went to college and law school in California, worked here for 42 years and witnessed first hand the squandering of California’s bounty and the deterioration of its quality of life. We hate it now.
However, our kids and grandkids all live here, thanks to our having raised our kids here. So, we stay, although living here is now an embarrassment. We are at a stage in life where we can help our kids and grandkids by being here, and we love seeing them all regularly. So, we stay.

GaltBlvnAtty on January 29, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Another opportunity to post one of my fave COTDs:

Chart of the Day: Illinois Democrats Were Soooo Certain They Were Right And Scott Walker Was Wrong

M2RB: Dio

lol

Resist We Much on January 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM

<blockquoteGod bless your Dad, and we Texans, whether natural born or naturalized, welcome all of like mind and spirit. Good luck on your journey to freedom, and come on down!!!

TXUS on January 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Look – Austin has always been liberal and that is fine because it is was Texas liberal, as in “make sure that the condemned man got all his appeals before he is executed”.

What is happening is now the California lib goo-goos types are moving in and their soft, “understanding” ways are ruining this state.

Case in point – a few years ago a student wrote a bomb threat to his school. In the local papers the comment section was lit up with comments that a real Texan would write: “Charge with a crime”, “Maximum Punishment”, etc and then came the “I just moved here from California and we would never punish this poor misunderstood, troubled young man”.

Its not the “I voted for Obama” liberal that will ruin Texas – its little Miss Understanding from California I mentioned above who will destroy us from within.

No offense, but you cannot be a naturalized Texan unless two conditions are met – you either moved here when you were 10 years old or younger and spent your teen years here or you moved as an adult and have been here long enough to remember Bob Bullock! Bob Bullock was a Democrat, but a real Texan. George Bush love Bob Bullock and he was scared to death of him, because Bullock was not a soft, understanding type. If you crossed him, he crushed you – the Texas way!

By the way – Rick Perry has to go. He is just an idiot politician trying to say stuff that will get play on Fox, but most Texans including most Republicans are ready for him to return to Ranchin’.

smorrow66 on January 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM

There are banks in chi-town still? why?

Flapjackmaka on January 29, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Because there is still money in Chi…

JohnGalt23 on January 29, 2013 at 9:08 PM

This is why even Franken was tepid about an “assault weapon” ban, we have some first class manufacturers right here in blue Minnesota; crazy but true.

Bishop on January 29, 2013 at 9:10 PM

No offense, but you cannot be a naturalized Texan unless two three conditions are met – you either moved here when you were 10 years old or younger and spent your teen years here or you moved as an adult and have been here long enough to remember Bob Bullock! Bob Bullock was a Democrat, but a real Texan. George Bush love Bob Bullock and he was scared to death of him, because Bullock was not a soft, understanding type. If you crossed him, he crushed you – the Texas way!

smorrow66 on January 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM

You forgot to add that entry is conditional on the number of guns in your arsenal. No shirt, no guns, no service.

TxAnn56 on January 29, 2013 at 9:14 PM

TXAnn56,

That’s funny but its kind of true. You just never know in Texas who might be carrying and you don’t want to find out the hard way.

That soft “understanding” mentality, well I see it a lot. In the recent Sandy Hook tragedy I heard a lot of ” we need to do something about the guns”. Of course, I didn’t hear a single word that we need to do something about the severely mentally ill.

I always wonder how these out of state wacko’s would react to knowing that I have a CHL or that many people I know have a CHL. We want to be legal and we want to be safe and prepared. Of course to the goo goo, we are the danger!

That is what is killing this state.

smorrow66 on January 29, 2013 at 9:24 PM

“You may all go to He**. I myself shall go to Texas.”

I really, really want to go home when I retire. Yep.

M240H on January 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Texans: some of us who agree with you in the spirit of freedom can’t tolerate your weather. No offense boys, but it’s just too damn hot down there.
But I am convinced your worries about things changing due to transplants is misplaced.
30 years ago I moved to VERY conservative New Hampshire.
I was proud to say I wasn’t lucky enough to be born here, but I was smart enough to move.
We still remain one of the few states with no state income tax or state sales tax.
For many years we grew aggressively thanks to a great business climate. Today we get lumped in with other ‘northeastern’ states.

The change from very “red” to almost blue did NOT come because of the folks who came here.
The change came because Gubmint/Union schools indoctrinate children to the Marxist ideology.
Look to your schools Texas. The enemy is within.

HammerNH on January 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I am so thankful I was able to vote for Mr. Cruz! I hope and pray he stays the conservative course and doesn’t back down in the face of the DC establishment.

I’ve lived in Texas most of my life (alas; not born here), but spent 5 years in Chicago. I loved the weather but I hated the politics and the machine. I voted but it was so disheartening to know my vote never made a difference.

I got back again to Texas a year and a half ago, and I’m glad to be in a red state again, with Tex Mex food and friendly faces. I am still struck by how all the guys wait for me to get in the elevator first and open the door for me. It’s very nice! Chivalry is not dead yet, at least here.

chelie on January 29, 2013 at 9:51 PM

smorrow66 on January 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Can’t disagree, smorrow, and, as to Bullock, I would vote for him tomorrow, a conservative con cajones, and the last D I ever voted for. They don’t make Ds (or Rs) like him anymore. Full disclosure: He happened to be a personal friend and mentor (my incredible good luck), and what a character he was. There are things and stories of what he did to his enemies that would be ban-able if told here or in any similar forum.

And, as he would say, “God Bless Texas.”

TXUS on January 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Gun control supporters urge Obama to bypass Congress on new measures

Colbyjack on January 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM

As to who is a Real Texan, I likely qualify. my ancestors got here around 1851. I’m retired military and a three tour Viet Nam War Vet. I’m also mostly to the Right of most posters here.

My Wife is a former Vietnamese Civilian Employee of the US Military (Doctors Assistant/Interpreter) and a former Squad Leader in the Vietnamese Local Militia and even more conservative than I am. We served in the same unit for most of my 2nd tour and part of my 3rd tour.

We bought acreage in simi-rural Texas in 1981 and still maintain a home there. She has put quite a bit of dinner on the table with a shot-gun and had one of the first Texas Concealed Carry Licenses.

I’ve never ran into anyone with the guts to say that she isn’t a Texan, at least not to her face.

19k30 retired

Linh_My on January 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Linh_My on January 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM

With a similar pedigree as yours, I have long maintained that Texas is not a place, but a state of mind and way of life. It is more about mindset and spirit as ALL of our founders knew, having themselves come from other states and territories, and foreign countries, too.

So, to me, your wife is a By-God Texan, period. And, if she puts dinner on the table from a shotgun, I bet you have enjoyed some mighty fine dove and quail and other fliers. God Bless her.

TXUS on January 29, 2013 at 10:40 PM

HammerNH on January 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Y’know? I’ve never had the problem of having to go out and shovel heat in order to get my car on the road :)

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on January 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Cruz to Illinois banks, gun companies: Come on down to Texas!

Sure enough…until the PTB get around to screwing up Texas. You can’t have millions of people moving down there from the Northeast, California and the Midwest and not bring their big government, urban elitist, Libtard values and politics with them.

Dr. ZhivBlago on January 29, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on January 29, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Y’know? Its easier to add extra clothing for the cold, but there’s only so much you can take off for the heat.

Love the Texas state of mind, though. Y’all got kin up here in Idaho and Wyoming!

Ace ODale on January 30, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Linh_My on January 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM

TXUS on January 29, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Yeah. But the City annexed me. That shut down both back yard hunting and the pistol range. Now days if livestock gets out, you have to pay a big fine to retrieve it from the City.

Women my wife’s age, even Texans, just don’t understand that the proper recipe for Chicken soup starts; First you kill the chicken. I remember my parents doing grown up talk and wondering what sort of a country would we have when people finally figured out that the Frontier was gone.

Guess we know the answer to that one.

Linh_My on January 30, 2013 at 12:16 AM

What a fantastic letter.

Pitch perfect.

*swoon*

aquaviva on January 30, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Cruzing!!

Sherman1864 on January 30, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Im going to be very clear about this – Texas is being contaminated with people who are moving in from out of state….

They might bring short term jobs, but long term they will ruin Texas.

smorrow66 on January 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Yeah, same problem in North Carolina. Living in the Top 10 city to live for the past 2 decades has not been beneficial.

Damn you Forbes magazine! And you Money magazine! Damn you to hell!

LoganSix on January 30, 2013 at 7:49 AM

They might bring short term jobs, but long term they will ruin Texas.

smorrow66 on January 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM

If you want to keep your state free, keep your government limited and the legislature meeting as little as possible. I live in CA and lots of people are moving to TX, but they are conservative and detest the welfare/commie government. Dems will send commies to live in your state to try to turn it. They have done that at the county and city level in CA in areas that are predominantly conservative. In the area I live in we constantly have dem activists from all over the country come in to create problems and help institute more government. Most of the people living in CA now are from other states who came for government handouts,ie, welfare, housing, foodstamps, medical treatment and other goodies. Get yourself free of the teachers union. They are the propaganda pushers for your children. Get Perry to do vouchers to weaken the parasitic teachers union and their horrible education/commie indoctrination.

Charm on January 30, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Cruzm akes Rubio look like Karl Marx.

bgibbs1000 on January 30, 2013 at 8:08 AM

MAybe I’m a masochist, but I’m hoping we can get the Buckeye state more red.

That and I *hate* heat. You can always put more clothes on. There’s a finite amount you want me to take off.

The_Livewire on January 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I cannot echo enough what other Texans are saying here. I was born in California but we moved to Texas when I was 3 (I’m now in my 50s). As a kid I used to go on vacation every other year to California with the folks and did this up until my 20s. I could see how rapidly Cali was changing and the quality of life going down there as taxes and liberals started taking over the state. I go back to visit from time-to-time as I still have family there but it is so sad, a shadow of its former glory. Now I’m looking around at my beloved Texas and seeing all these liberals from other states coming down here and talking about how much they miss their liberal home state. I explain to them that if their home state had been less liberal then perhaps they wouldn’t have needed to make the move and that I35 can take them back north anytime they so choose. Here’s a bit of advice from a Texas lady (and yep I do identify myself as a Texan), don’t come here and bring your failed liberal ideas here and expect them to fly. Move to Austin if you aren’t sensible. Texas doesn’t want your garbage.

neyney on January 30, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Hey man – let me be very clear about this and HUGE pet peeve of mine. I am a public school teacher in Texas! We do not have teachers unions in this state. We do have teacher groups and I can promise you that some of them are very necessary to keep some school administrations from violating the 13th Amendment! I’m not terribly concerned if some liberal is teaching math because they are teaching math. I teach Social Studies, so politics is a natural topic. Kids usually mimic their parents.

We do have a somewhat crazy Board of Education, which if it could would have us teach that humans walked with dinosaurs. Are you kidding me? If you think I’m joking, then look it up.

I find that most people I teach with are moderate to conservative. There are a few pinkos, but very few do anything other than cover the material and I have seen most of these flaming commies go out of their way to be fair.

Sadly, a fine profession is being ruined by a society that wants to blame them for everything and places like Fox (which I usually like) stereotype everyone because of the actions of the Chicago Teachers. I have been called union loving communist by commenters on news sites simply for identifying myself as a teacher. Those people dont have a clue what we do, what BS we put up with every day and wouldnt last five minutes despite all their tough talk.

I am very conservative and I go very far out of my way to make sure my students dont have the slightest clue about my views. I’m not there to turn them into little Republicans. They will decide for themselves what they believe.

And as for the college professors – if you didn’t talk to your kid enough growing up that they are so easily influenced by Professor Comrade, then who is to blame, the professor or you? My God, they are adults by then. If they are that mentally weak, then that is one the parents.

smorrow66 on January 30, 2013 at 7:32 PM