Audio: Rush Limbaugh and Marco Rubio on immigration reform

posted at 3:12 pm on January 29, 2013 by Allahpundit

Via the Examiner, here’s the acid test of Rubio’s conservative-media charm offensive on immigration. Are his retail political skills so formidable that he can sell Rush and his enormous grassroots audience on a bill which, by McCain’s own admission, is little different from what Ted Kennedy was pushing circa 2007? Actually, that’s the wrong question. He’s not really selling the Senate bill here. What he’s selling is the idea that comprehensive reform is the conservative thing to do, even if this particular bill ends up going down in flames when the enforcement mechanisms prove too weak. (He emphasizes at around 3:30 that he won’t support it if there’s no meaningful enforcement trigger in the final draft, a point he made yesterday on Ed’s show too.) Rush issues no official verdict but he does congratulate Rubio on doing something “admirable and noteworthy” in “recognizing reality,” just a day after he said of the Senate bill, “I don’t know that there’s any stopping this. It’s up to me and Fox News, and I don’t think Fox News is that invested in this.” Whatever ends up passing or not passing, sounds like Rubio’s immunized himself from charges of RINO-dom, which I think is one of his core goals in courting righty media so aggressively.

BuzzFeed thinks the key passage is where Rubio says he won’t vote for the bill without real enforcement measures built in, but as I say, we already knew that from Ed’s show yesterday. The real key comes at around 4:00 when Rush asks the million-dollar question, i.e. won’t a path to citizenship mean millions more votes for Democrats on balance? Rubio’s telling reply:

I am confident that, given a fair chance, I can convince most Americans, including Americans of Hispanic descent, that limited government and free enterprise is better for them and better for their upward mobility than big government is. Because that’s the reason why they came here.

If you share that confidence, you should feel much better about the Senate bill (and future reform efforts) than doomsayers do. If you don’t, and I don’t for various reasons, then no. But note the “I” instead of “we” or “Republicans” or “conservatives.” That’s the sound of a man who’s supremely confident in his ability to move mountains through the sheer force of his charisma. (Can you think of any prominent Democrats who feel the same way about themselves?) This interview, and his other interviews lately, are a demonstration of it: Can he convince the most deeply skeptical members of his own party to at least keep an open mind about the sort of bill that made McCain’s “Maverick” label a curse word among conservatives? He’s doing pretty well so far, no? The real target audience here, I think, isn’t Rush’s audience but centrist Republicans and media types who are desperate to make the base more open to centrist policy ideas but completely confounded as to how to do it. Rubio’s message: I can do it. And maybe he’s right. Maybe each side’s ideological principles are basically only as sturdy as the support they get from charismatic leaders at the top. Ask an anti-war Obama voter about that, if you can still find one.

Exit question: There are bound to be a handful of Democratic defections in the Senate on the immigration bill, which means, realistically, Reid needs at least 10 or so Republicans to vote yes. Can he possibly get there if Rubio votes no?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Just like Romneycare was the conservative thing to do?

sharrukin on January 29, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Collapse of the Conservative movement.

WordsMatter on January 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Self-absorved. Self-serving. Ultimately self-defeating.

steebo77 on January 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Go away. Legalizing criminals who bring their own socialist mindset to our nation will just speed up the destruction of our nation. Over the cliff we go.

njrob on January 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

It is? LOL

Mr. Arrogant on January 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Why are we expecting people who have already broken our laws to be law-abiding citizens and love America over the country they snuck out of?

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Rush seemed like a smitten schoolgirl after the interview which was disappointing but he did ask the right question: Even if Obama agrees to the enforcement measures what guarantee do we have that he’ll enforce them once the amnesty has been granted? Think about that one for a minute. Yes, we’re totally screwed regardless.

Kataklysmic on January 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I was immediately struck by that.

No more extreme narcissism, please.

Bitter Clinger on January 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Maybe tomorrow after Rush gets a chance to read the transcript and mull over Rubio’s words, we’ll get his cut thru the DC speak explanation. Until then, I don’t believe a word from any politician. This is the same cr#p they tried to ram thru in ’07. We put a stop to it then, maybe we can do it again. This is just like the gun grab, there’s over 22,000 gun laws on the books and they didn’t stop Aurora or Sandy Hook from happening. We already have thousands of immigration laws, why not try enforcing them first.

Kissmygrits on January 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

You couldn’t even convince just the Hispanics in your state to vote against what is probably the worst president to ever stand for reelection. How can you be so confident Senator?
What? Oh, that’s how. Does that mean marijuana legalization is next on your agenda?

Rocks on January 29, 2013 at 3:20 PM

The average illegal is going to look at Rubio as a sell-out (the man) who has nothing in common with them.

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

He sounds like Obama here w/ the I, I, I… isn’t “we” and “us”.

Rubio’s true test will be how far he stays on board w/ this once it’s watered down. He says he won’t support it if that happens, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

davek70 on January 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

won’t a path to citizenship mean millions more votes for Democrats on balance?

Meh. Every illegal immigrant I know already votes Democrat.

steebo77 on January 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Staking his claim in the new tribal America.

Fact is, amnesty will usher in a one party soft-fascist state, and be the effective end of the republic.

This idea that amnesty is in fact a conservative position is the same nonsense when progressives try to sell abortion or homosexual “marriage” as conservative positions.

This crap sandwich needs to die in the house, the same thing that happened to Bush’s amnesty crap sandwich.

Rebar on January 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

The Republican version of “doubling down.” Leftists do it to ruthlessly get what they want; Republicans do it to get what they think will lead to better MSM coverage. As always, deeply wrong and destined to produce failure.

rrpjr on January 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I do believe in the quest for the “low information” voter, Rubio can pull a larger number of Hispanics than the Democrats believe.

J_Crater on January 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Rubio sounded a bit filibustery when answering some basic concerns…

mjbrooks3 on January 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

As conservatives, we are officially on our own. Apparently we’ll get no help in this fight from conservative media outlets.

WordsMatter on January 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

With this Rubio push, aer we experiencing “Romney Deja Vu”. By that, I mean it seems as if he’s being pushed at us awfully hard.

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Obama is addressing this problem by destroying America. Mexicans won’t want to come to the America he is building.

tom daschle concerned on January 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM

So much to pick apart but let’s just start with him thinking that he’s got a fair chance to present his case.

Naive.

LetsBfrank on January 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Rush has always been a complete suck-up in interviews, and never asks difficult questions, which may be why he has so few of them on his show.

Rubio is lying when he says that he won’t support any bill that doesn’t have strong enforcement measures. The proposal he was involved in putting on the table yesterday has no strong enforcement measures. When you grant 11 million illegal immigrants immediate legal status, there’s no strong enforcement, even if you make them wait to get an official “green card.”

All of these proposals are amnesty and nothing more. The GOP, at least in the Senate, has already caved on this. If it has any chance of being stopped, it will have to come from the House, but even they are probably too scared of being called racist to do anything about it.

Shump on January 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM

But Rubio is unlikely to be given a fair chance in which to make that attempt to convince people of the virtues of limited government and free enterprise.

J.S.K. on January 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Yeah, we need comprehensive reform. Reform our immigration policy by revoking Kennedy’s ’65 & ’90 immigration acts.

We need comprehensive enforcement. That’s the sensible thing to do.

hawkeye54 on January 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM

BS, the new illegals are as wedded to Government as the provider of all things material as is the most hardened fifth generation white leftist.

WordsMatter on January 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Here’s a question: let’s say a bill is passed and signed into law in which “real enforcement” is included, and that Obama signs it but grumbles loudly about those “real enforcement” measures. Then he instructs his various departments not to enforce those “real enforcement” measures. What then?

He didn’t go after the New Black Panters. He stopped defending DOMA, which is the law of the land. What happens when a bill is passed and Obama simply chooses to not enforce it?

My point is that D.C. is completely untrustworthy. Why do we cry out for a new law when our lawmakers are lawless? The Senate is required by law to write a budget, yet they haven’t for 4 years. Has anyone been fined? Has anyone been arrested? Why do we want laws in this country anymore? I’m very serious.

Weight of Glory on January 29, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Shump on January 29, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Like everybody in this lost age, he’s just another sucker for celebrity.

rrpjr on January 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Right now they will claim to love him and even to be open to voting for him in the future. Then, at the first opportunity, they’ll register as Democrats and vote a straight-party ballot. Rubio may be Latino, but for most Latinos, he’s the wrong kind (Cuban, Republican, etc.).

steebo77 on January 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Audio: Rush Limbaugh and Marco Rubio on immigration reform

Rush has evolved on immigration reform, he has evolved beyond conservationism and conservative values. The GOPe adding and abetting the Marxist Take-over of America. Thank you John McCain and Marco Rubio.

SWalker on January 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Rubio talks like a conservative…too bad his votes don’t carry the same credentials. NDAA, Dream Act, SOPA, etc etc are not the votes of a conservative with his mind on the Constitution. But he gives great sound bites!

search4truth on January 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

This has become utterly ridiculous.

Bmore on January 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I think the question is, can he possibly get there if Rubio votes yes. I’m in a red (for now) border state, so all the feedback I can give is from that standpoint. I was at Cruz’s Houston office this morning to make my points in person. I could barely get a few minutes with the staffer because the phones wouldn’t stop ringing. And I could actually hear some of the callers through the phone, they were that outraged. If every Republican senator is getting that kind of response, I’m not so sure you can get to 10.

TxAnn56 on January 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Bmore on January 29, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Yeah, huh.

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 3:27 PM

so solly NO SALE……………….”built in” doesn’t mean SQUAT without direct and immediate IMPLEMENTATION of same

Katfish on January 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Rush was polite, but he did point out that “look, we’ve been here before. We did this in 1986 and actually LOST hispanic votes.”

He also made the comment before and after Rubio came on that illegals are not interested in becoming Americans or looking for economic liberty. They want government.

Obama can’t kill the GOP if they kill themselves first.

SAMinVA on January 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

any so called “immigration commission” should be comprised of no one else than border ranchers and county sheriffs!!

Katfish on January 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM

He sounds like Obama here w/ the I, I, I… isn’t “we” and “us”.

davek70 on January 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Because he’s the lead Republican on this thing, and he’s in a unique position to sell the GOP to that population (instead of being yet another old white guy).

changer1701 on January 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Rush, the New Rino to the HotAir Gods

blatantblue on January 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Obama can’t kill the GOP if they kill themselves first.

SAMinVA on January 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

So that’s a win for the GOP then? /

sharrukin on January 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM

“You like me, you really like me!” – Sally Fields

WordsMatter on January 29, 2013 at 3:31 PM

So he’s a more effective snake oil salesman than John McCain?

LetsBfrank on January 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Rush, the New Rino to the HotAir Gods

blatantblue on January 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I thought we Truecons all just slavishly listen to Rush and were incapable of forming our own opinions? Could it be that confusing (to you) thing we call principles?

sharrukin on January 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I wish I was this optimistic. If this had gone through under Bush, I would be, because the president’s party affiliation will be remembered forever on this, just as the Democratic party is — often unfairly — associated with the Civil Rights Act.

If this deal goes through, Obama will get the credit, not Rubio. That’s the real problem here.

Caiwyn on January 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Kataklysmic on January 29, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Don’t trust the feds. Look what happened when Arizona tried to enforce federal law. Then look what happened when Arizona tried to pass their own law.

Even if this looks good on paper, teh one won’t enforce it.

freedomfirst on January 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Obama can’t kill the GOP if they kill themselves first.

SAMinVA on January 29, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I’m betting on the GOPs self destruction. Barry won’t need to lift a finger. Well, maybe one in a parting salute.

hawkeye54 on January 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Am I the only one who gets what Rubio is saying here? He’s not saying he can convince these voters to vote Republican. He’s saying that he can get them to vote for him.

Rubio is announcing his pitch as a Presidential candidate. Because he is Hispanic, and because he played a major role in crafting this legislation, the new voters will vote for him if he is the Republican nominee. If he is not, they go Democrat

Clever, this guy Rubio is.

Mr. Arkadin on January 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

sharrukin on January 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

It’s just funny how quickly people turn.

blatantblue on January 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Rush, the New Rino to the HotAir Gods

blatantblue on January 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Love Rush. Been a fan for 20+ years. But we need to support principles not people. Not calling him out when he gets one wrong amounts to hero worship. Yesterday he was describing this bill as the end of the Republican party if it passes. Today he’s decribing Rubio as youthful, exciting, and recognizing reality. Quite odd.

Kataklysmic on January 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM

“charm”. LOL. Rubio is very offensive, though. And he’s a slug. He needs to have salt poured on him.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM

It’s just funny how quickly people turn.

blatantblue on January 29, 2013 at 3:37 PM

You still don’t get it.

It’s something called conservatism which we believe in. We don’t believe in personalities, we believe in principles, and if someone breaks those principles, all the goodwill in the world doesn’t suddenly make progressive policies conservative.

sharrukin on January 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM

The adoring way Chuck Schumer is gazing upon Marco Gullible is telling.

LetsBfrank on January 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Rush, the New Rino to the HotAir Gods

blatantblue on January 29, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Our Trolls are braindead BB, but you don’t have to do their homework for them.

portlandon on January 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Kataklysmic on January 29, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Agreed. I don’t know if he’s just carrying the water or perhaps not trying to embarrass Rubio by calling him out or what.

TxAnn56 on January 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

WOW! There’s so much dishonest BS wrapped up in that one sentence that I don’t even know where to start.

“Comprehensive reform” … BULLSH!T. It’s amnesty and there’s nothing “comprehensive” about it. It’s not any sort of “reform” either. It’s surrender. Period.

“is the conservative thing to do”? ROFLMAO. You can’t get more bullsh!tty than that.

“enforcement mechanism”? WTFFF are you talking about? The whole point of this exercise in treason by Rubio, McShame and the rest is so that they are EXCUSED from enforcing any of our laws or defending our national sovereignty.

I couldn’t even read any more – the load of cr@p was piled so high, already. Do you really think with that mind? Holy sh!t.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 29, 2013 at 3:42 PM

As I said earlier, Rubio’s being pushed. Everywhere.

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM

We know them by their deeds.

We know them by what they said and did not do.

Ramos and Compean went to jail lost their jobs, homes lives.

Brian Terry is dead.

Headless bodies in the streets of Mexico.

The DOJ, ATF, DEA, FBI, Sec. of State, White House staff all knew/know about Fast and Furious, yet what do we the pelole know.

Today Issa / House of Rep. allowed the Comtempt of Congress on Holder to move to April 22.

Prior to the 1986 non fix of the border, LBJ sent them home hard case because the illegals were taking union jobs. Now the Democrats want them for vote slaves.

Every low bid in the U.S.A. put out by towns, cities, school dist’s, county, state, federal is won by the company who uses the most illegals and pays them the lest.

All the elected ones want to be re-elected so they chose this illegal wage slave method of getting re-elected.

Ask the Apache how unlimted illegal immigration from south of the U.S.A. works out.

The only people we can trust or ourselves and we must come to terms with that fact.

A Two Party Evil Money/Power Cult is in full operation in Washington D.C. and to belive other wise makes a fool of U.S.all.

If these ones in D.C. were in ernest there would be a “Border Security Bill” going through the Senate and House this very hour with funding and the support of 70% or higher of we the people.

It is not so.

Act Up.

It is a con.

We are the marks.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on January 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM

As I said earlier, Rubio’s being pushed. Everywhere.

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM

He needs to be putsched.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM

J_Crater on January 29, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Perhaps those of his own Cuban descent but not those of Mexican or Central American descent.

onlineanalyst on January 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Well isn’t he special?

Just another self-serving Republican trying to be a D-lite by making it about himself, not about the policy.

ajacksonian on January 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Amnesty is amnesty. Obama gets amnesty, we get screwed.

If they really want to fix immigration its going to have to be enforcement first. Throw in residency for Dreamers as show of goodwill, but focus has to be enforcement.

El_Terrible on January 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Nice catch AP.

And good luck with that, Mr. Rubio.

kim roy on January 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Meh. Every illegal immigrant I know already votes Democrat.

steebo77 on January 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Whaaaaaat? You mean illegal immigrants are voting?!?!?!?!? But, but that would mean there’s voter fraud, and the Democrats assured me there’s no such thing!

Nutstuyu on January 29, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Next step: The paid posters arrive, berating us and telling us that Rubio is the only chance we have of winning the presidency back.

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I don’t think Limbaugh bought in to what Rubio was saying, if anything he was trying to help an idealistic, young politician to be a bit more skeptical. The bill being discussed is amnesty and Conservatives will be a permanent minority forever once it becomes law.

Rubio is being very naive in assuming low income people are going to support free market, small government Conservatism. They want them some benefits and they see nothing wrong with that. They don’t care if we run out of money or who has to pay for it.

The Republican Party does not represent Conservatives in any way. I am done with them. I will not vote for them nor will I contribute to them. Let it burn and lets just get this fiscal collapse over with.

echosyst on January 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Rush is contradicting himself 1000 ways and he looks like a weasel. I usually love Rush but ,here, he is not being straight.

Scarborough is a fake on parade. I can watch him. I prefer a parade to the guy running the shell game in the alley. If Rush keeps trying to be so tricky he will(should) lose his audience.

BoxHead1 on January 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Plus didn’t most of these illegals come here to get a job?

Why isn’t this about a ‘pathway to a sub-minimum wage job for illegals’?

Heck, can you do that for CITIZENS while you’re at it?

ajacksonian on January 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Caiwyn on January 29, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Not if we call it he Rubio-Schumer bill!!! I mean if McCain can get a worthless bill named after him, Rubio should too.

Nutstuyu on January 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM

He sounds like Obama here w/ the I, I, I… isn’t “we” and “us”.

davek70 on January 29, 2013 at 3:21 PM

I totally agree. Except that we know Republicans have failed at messaging; they’ve downright bent-over to the MSM/Obama media But we’ve been saying that we need someone to step up and improve our messaging…somebody like Rand, Rubio, etc. Maybe he’s just trying to do that. But the narcissism is a total turnoff and too Obama-like. It’s a tough one.

Jackalope on January 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I did not vote for Romney; I voted against Obama, who is an usurper, a foreigner, a Marxist saboteur molded by Bill Ayers himself, and a politician on ChiCom payroll. Come 2016, with Hillary “Cankles” Clinton running a clear Dem favorite, I have absolutely no motivation to vote for another foot to kick the same can down the same road just because it has a “R” painted red on it. Hillary might be a vicious, conniving snake and a progressive liberal of the worst sort, but she’s a known evil. In fact, unlike Obama, she even cares for this country – you know, like someone cares for one’s faded but still glorious and fairly valuable piece of property. I am totally resigned to live through her 8 years of “managed socialism”, an easy thought considering that I lived through 20-odd years of Soviet socialism and found it disgusting but tolerable.

So let me stake my claim here: I will not, under any circumstances, vote for Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, or Paul Ryan. Not in the primaries, and not in the general (admittedly, I may consider voting for Chris Christie – mostly because his executive skills far exceed those on the left, not because I agree with him). If the GOP nominates any of the three above, I will do my best to wipe it off political map or, failing that, ignore its existence on the ballot. In any case, the GOP will not see a cent of my money until I have a nominee that I like and trust.

Archivarix on January 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM

BoxHead1 on January 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM

He lost my family after the election. I only startred listening again recently to hear what he was saying about gun control. Guess I’ll have to back to the local jazz station now.

Nutstuyu on January 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM

“Can he convince the most deeply skeptical members of his own party to at least keep an open mind about the sort of bill that made McCain’s “Maverick” label a curse word among conservatives? He’s doing pretty well so far, no?”

No, he is not. I’m at a loss for the basis of your conclusion.

fabrexe on January 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Clever, this guy Rubio is.

Mr. Arkadin on January 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I agree, but if this passes, what is it going to look like by 2016? Does anybody trust Obama and the Democrats on border enforcement? I surely don’t. And even if Rubio does pretty well with Hispanic voters, if he loses parts of the base, he will lose a national election.

TarheelBen on January 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Remember in the teeth of the worst post-war recovery, with the worst job stats, falling wages, and taxes going up… the Republican Party Elites in the Senate want to open up sub-minimum wage job categories to illegals… not for citizens already living here… and give them legal status to stay here and take such jobs while out of work citizens can’t get to them.

ajacksonian on January 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I could only listen to 30 seconds of Rubio with Rush. There was too much lying and worming to continue. Rubio, the slug, is dishonest, stupid and annoying as all get-out. His cr@p about “immigration” when he’s talking about illegals is a typical leftist tactic. He is no conservative and should be given an electric shock every time he tries to claim that he knows something about conservativism. He’s a worm. A gnat. A turd. And a big, fat liar who just wants to bring tribalism to America as the left has always worked towards.

Rubio needs to resign and go away. I don’t care who takes his Senate seat. Anyone or anything would be an improvement over that dishonest, imbecilic, retarded sack of sh!t. Every word out of his mouth is either part of a lie or something incredibly stupid.

Salt the Rubio slug!

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Well his wife is a heckuva lot hotter than Moochelle or Slick Willy, so I’ll take that chance.

Nutstuyu on January 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I heard the interview and was more concerned about what I did not hear. Are these people who are not supposed to be a charge on the tax payers going to qualify for affirmative action rules? Are they going to have the opportunity to bring extended family once granted citizenship? are we going to eliminate ESL concepts in our schools?

Who declares the border secure? How far can we go (enforcement and geograpgic) inside the interior US to enforce immigration (I say full enforcement everywhere). What are the penalties for being in the country illegally? What about denying citizenship to anchor babies? Every incentive must be removed and full enforcement must be verified before anything else happens.

DanMan on January 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM

If as Rubio, states he won’t support a bill that doesn’t guarantee enforcement, and as he has also stated he wants to solve this problem once and for all, what measures does he plan to propose that will guarantee those promises he stands on?

Is he willing to guarantee enforcement by amending the Constitution to the effect that it require illegal aliens to be deported? Further, will Rubio require the amendment be ratified before the legislation can take affect?

As for day to day enforcement, will he incorporate to the law penalties for those whose duty is to enforce the law, if they violate that law, or does not pursue enforcement in a timely and efficient manner? Will he restrict judicial review to that of whether an alien has or hasn’t documents authorizing him to be here?

Those are reasonable provisions for making sure this last time, guaranteed to solve this recurring issue, to include in his comprehensive immigration reform legislation.

If he can’t he’s just lying to us that he has concerns for enforcement, and all he really cares about is his own personal advancement in politics, because he’s certainly not as naive as he is showing himself to be so far.

Dusty on January 29, 2013 at 4:00 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Charlie Crist on line one for you, sir.

thebrokenrattle on January 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Rush better be doing some serious walking back tomorrow.

Amnesty is a dealkiller, regardless of who’s advocating it.

Rebar on January 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Charlie Crist on line one for you, sir.

thebrokenrattle on January 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Rubio is worse than Orange Crisp, even. I really don’t care who or what would take Rubio’s Senate seat. I would just like to see someone salt the slug and he be gone.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Clever, this guy Rubio is.

Mr. Arkadin on January 29, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I’m sure he thinks he is.

trigon on January 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Charlie Crist on line one for you, sir.

thebrokenrattle on January 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Nobody would follow along with Crist for amnesty so he would be an improvement over Rubio.

sharrukin on January 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Obama.

Be very afraid.

Midas on January 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM

30 years ago you might have been able to make a case for this. Today they’re coming over to join the Free Shit Army. Wake up Rubio.

Farenht451 on January 29, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Rubio should be insisting on a national ID card as part of any of this that will identify citizenship status and voting eligibility. Papers for Everyone!

can_con on January 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM

The Left has been working on the meme of “Republicans hate minorities” for generations. This little Dream Act diddy will not undo that; we’re only going to end up with the consequences of the bill and get nothing politically in return.

Jackalope on January 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM

His parents and many others came to this country to escape political persecution and to find a better way of life for their
families.

However, there are many more that are here because they want free
stuff.

Rubio is getting behind this because he wants to run for president.
This, however, might get in the way of Jeb Bush running for president. Since Rubio is Jeb’s protege, it will be interesting
to see how this all turns out.

Right now, however, at the top of my list is Rand Paul. I will
no longer vote for a rino and Rubio is not a conservative.

Amjean on January 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM

sharrukin on January 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM

This is the danger with RINOs – crazy leftist ideas (like amnesty) that would pass without notice on the democrat side automagically become “serious” issues that the MSM seizes on when proposed by a republican.

Rebar on January 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I am confident that, given a fair chance, I can predict Saturday’s PowerBall numbers. The odds are roughly the same Marco.

bw222 on January 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM

can_con on January 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Captain Marko Ramius will be so disappointed :)

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Then drop this amnesty nonsense, and get busy doing it.

davek70

Rubio failed the test when he came out in agreement with people like Chuck Schumer that new, comprehensive reform is necessary when it isn’t.

xblade on January 29, 2013 at 4:12 PM

As I said earlier, Rubio’s being pushed. Everywhere.

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Yep; HA writers apparently got the memo/directive/check, too.

Midas on January 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 29, 2013 at 3:57 PM

You have issues.

changer1701 on January 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Rebar on January 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Yes, and they are tempted by a return to power and the magic of hangin’ with the ‘cool’ kids. At this point I am not sure anything can be done given who the Republicans are, but maybe a grassroots explosion like we saw with the Bush attempt at amnesty with hold the line.

sharrukin on January 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

We’ll see how much charisma he has when he can no longer comb over the bald spot … or will he go the Trent Lott/George Will route?

bw222 on January 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Rubio is doing what i feared he would do and exactly what Obama did/does: Compensate for his near total lack of executive ability and miniscule time in national elective office by falling back on his immense sense of self-worth and self-regard, untethered to any actual accomplishment that makes the country better.

Rubio’s use of the first person to tell us how he alone can “make the sale” that 11m illegals since 1986 are morally superior to and more deserving of citizenship than people who came through the system is a dead give-away.

I think that people from all parties who believe legal immigration should continue to be encouraged & ILLEGAL immigration should be severely curtailed do not have a friend in Senator Rubio, Congress, the White House or the media. Legal Immigration is our country’s life blood. Unchecked illegal immigration encouraged by those in power is a national death sentence.

Trust but verify. If I cant verify I dont trust and so far Rubio and the GOP have offered NOTHING that would elicit trust and in fact have done much to erode trust on issue after issue time and time again.

the Dem/Obama/MSM position of Total Amnesty with No Border Enforcement is what most likely imo what will happen.
Rubio looks to me like he wants to profit from it far more than stop it.

Sacramento on January 29, 2013 at 4:16 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Hey as Eminem said: you only get one shot!

can_con on January 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM

No “Immigration Reform Plan” is serious or complete unless it includes a constitutional amendment to stop giving “anchor babies” U.S. citizenship.

American citizens need to start demanding that the anchor baby magnet issue be addressed before we even talk about granting any sort of legal status to the ILLEGAL aliens who are currently in our country.

Here is the process for amending the U.S. Constitution to fix the 14th Amendment that grants citizenship to people who are born here whether or not they are here legally.

The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures. None of the 27 amendments to the Constitution have been proposed by constitutional convention. The Congress proposes an amendment in the form of a joint resolution. Since the President does not have a constitutional role in the amendment process, the joint resolution does not go to the White House for signature or approval.

The Archivist submits the proposed amendment to the States for their consideration by sending a letter of notification to each Governor along with the informational material prepared by the OFR. The Governors then formally submit the amendment to their State legislatures. In the past, some State legislatures have not waited to receive official notice before taking action on a proposed amendment. When a State ratifies a proposed amendment, it sends the Archivist an original or certified copy of the State action, which is immediately conveyed to the Director of the Federal Register.

A proposed amendment becomes part of the Constitution as soon as it is ratified by three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States).

Now, which elected leader is willing to take the lead on getting the constitutional amendment process started so we can solve the anchor baby problem?

wren on January 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM

You have issues.

changer1701 on January 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Yes. I like the concept of the nation-state and understand that respect and defense of national sovereignty is fundamental to the continuation of the nation-state. I have issues with any slug who tries to destroy the nation-state and who thinks that violations of sovereignty by aliens are to be rewarded. The Founders would agree with me, especially as the Constitution was not written for aliens but to “secure the Blessings of Liberty TO OURSELVES AND TO OUR POSTERITY”, which specifically excludes aliens, who have their own countries to secure their liberties for them.

I also have issues with idiots like you.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 29, 2013 at 4:18 PM