The Ed Morrissey Show: Senator Marco Rubio, Kevin McCullough; Update: Rubio says “I will not be part of a bill” that doesn’t guarantee enforcement

posted at 2:36 pm on January 28, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Today, on the Ed Morrissey Show (4 pm ET), we start the show off with Senator Marco Rubio, who will discuss the new bipartisan compromise on immigration reform. Will we get border security and visa reform before normalization, and how will Rubio guarantee that the legislative language matches the pledge? Kevin McCullough joins us afterward to discuss the intersection of faith and politics. Kevin and I will talk about immigration, and also the March for Life last week and the anniversary of Roe v Wade.

Update: Watch the first 20 mins of the show. Rubio is adamant that he will not support a bill that doesn’t guarantee that border and visa enforcement takes place before normalization.

We’ll also talk about The Binge Thinker, Kevin and Stephen’s exploding success in independent talk radio, as well as Kevin’s new book, No He Can’t: How Barack Obama Is Dismantling Hope and Change, being released this week! Don’t forget about Kevin’s previous book, The Kind of Man Every Man Should Be: Taking a Stand for True Masculinity, either.

The Ed Morrissey Show and its dynamic chatroom can be seen on the permanent TEMS page. Be sure to join us, and don’t forget to keep up with the debate on my Facebook page, too!

Want to get away from it all? Why not join Duane “Generalissimo” Patterson and me on a seven-day cruise this summer to Alaska? Starting July 27th, we’ll take the inside passage on Holland America’s MS Zuiderdam:

Come cruise the Alaskan Inside Passage with Generalissimo Duane and Blogger Ed. There is no better place to travel, no better way to travel and no better folks to travel with. Alaska, the last frontier, see it as only Holland America can show it. Come with us as we cruise along miles of pristine coastlines, saddle right up to gigantic blue glaciers and wonder at the incredibly awesome waterfalls, fjords, and free flowing rivers. You will experience magnificent vistas as we sail through the straits of the Inland Passage encountering whales, porpoises, otters, eagles and all kinds of fabulous wildlife. Best of all you will do this while living in the luxury and comfort of the ms Zuiderdam, a premier Holland America ship.

Our Seven day itinerary includes stops along the way where you will have the opportunity to fly fish, pan for gold, partake in Native Alaskan culture, or just take a hike in some of the last virgin lands left in America.

Plus, Duane and I will do our TEMS show live on the ship, discussing politics and culture while traveling in the lap of luxury. Climb aboard!

Video streaming by Ustream

Keep praying that Marizela Perez will be found, and peace brought to her family.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Rubio says “I will not be part of a bill” that doesn’t guarantee enforcement

Then what are you doing associating yourself with this?

Stoic Patriot on January 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

No bill can guarantee enforcement. That is up to the EXECUTIVE BRANCH to EXECUTE enforcement. So, I guess that means he is not up for any bill at all…

I think what Rubio means is, he is not willing to vote for a bill unless it makes it look like there will be enforcement so I can appear to be conservative.

Here is the deal Rubio and everyone else. The only guaranteed enforcement you will ever see is an outside agency audited enforcement only bill that has metrics and a the ability to prove enforcements has already occurred. Then later on, once you show us you are serious, we might be willing to TOLERATE but not be happy about the rest of the crap you want to shove down our throats.

astonerii on January 28, 2013 at 6:59 PM

shorter – Ed is an establishment mouthpiece. Climb aboard!

Slade73 on January 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Jeb Bush/Marco Rubio/2016////////

JPeterman on January 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Seconded!!!/////// Lol!

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

To think there was once a time when I came here for the peace and quiet.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I thought Rubio was an intelligent man, but now I can’t even think of him as an intelligent politician, and that really sucks.

Dusty on January 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Didn’t Reagan say that implementing his amnesty plan was the biggest mistake of his Presidency?

We are doomed.

JPeterman on January 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I believe everything Republicans tell me! Cheers! – Ed

Slade73 on January 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Rubio rocks!

Good for him.

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM

So, what you’re saying is McCain is Rubio’s new Boy Scout Leader?
I have to agree with the mantra, the GOP will betray you.

RovesChins on January 28, 2013 at 6:49 PM

When I look at Rubio, I see John McCain looking back at me and can almost hear, “My friends”.

VorDaj on January 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM

What we NEED? Term limits.
I don’t want to see Marco reaching around for the next forty years like his mentor groomer, Fight with me!!!!!!!!!!

RovesChins on January 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Schumer, McCain, Durbin, Menendez, and Rubio.

That’s an image that will never disappear.

Perhaps if Rubio had a 15 year old Female cousin still living in the Dominican Republic….

To even stand in the area,,, all credibility forever gone. Pandering with scum using you for an idiot. To be such a fool shows complete lack of understanding.

Sorry Marco,, you sleep with dogs….

wolly4321 on January 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Don’t worry, tomorrow it will be back to normal. Unless Ed can get an interview with Maverick, then all bets are off.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Lol! Or Palin.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Then what are you doing associating yourself with this?

Stoic Patriot on January 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

100% Agree. He is lying. The problem is that he is being picked by the media for 2016.

Jeb Bush/Marco Rubio 2016!

JPeterman on January 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

There is no doubt that he is an establishment guy that disgused himself as a conservative during the height of the movement.

FYI, I expect another major housing cleaning in 2014.

Oil Can on January 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I called Cruz’s office today and got a non-committal answer. Others that called got the same thing. It looks like he’s feeling the heat as he’s now issued a statement. Not as tough as I’d like, yet, but it’s a start.

TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Rubio rocks!

Good for him.

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Gee … an open borders “libertarian” moron likes Marco’s treasonous aiding and abetting of foreign invaders. What a surprise. I bet you loved Barky’s alliance with invading nation Mexico to attack a US state, too. You’re a peach, man.

You really hate the notion of national sovereignty, don’t you? Rubio has rocks in his head but that’s about it.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Like a Republican politician saying they will only vote for tax increases if there are eventual matching spending cuts. Not that I’m accusing any of them of being that stupid.

Oh wait…

waelse1 on January 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

DFCtomm on January 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Not as tough as I’d like, yet, but it’s a start.

TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Eh … Sorry Ann, but I think that statement really sucks. If Cruz had any sense there wouldn’t be any question and it wouldn’t be about some concern of the “path to citizenship”, which, as you know, is just the most offensive part of this offensive pile of attempted legislated treason.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Rubio has an ego the size of a whale and an intellect the size of a plankter.

VorDaj on January 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM

TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Better than nothing from Cruz. Good work TxAnn.

Damn, Cornyn’s a weasel. What good will “presidential leadership” from Obozo do on amnesty?

sauldalinsky on January 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

We are doomed.

JPeterman

Not sure if he said it, but it was certainly one of them. No Republican presidential candidate will ever win California again because of it. And if the current crop of amnesty shills get their way, the days of R’s winning the presidency will be numbered as well.

xblade on January 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Don’t despair, there is always room for you and your kin up in Marshfox Manor, it will only be a trappers cabin, but we can make additions:)

MarshFox on January 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Rubio says “I will not be part of a bill” that doesn’t guarantee enforcement

…right!… so he’ll cave with only another promise!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM

FYI, I expect another major housing cleaning in 2014.

Oil Can on January 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I don’t, the tea party is now big business instead of the grassroots movement it once was.

JPeterman on January 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I am sorry but I despise this imposter more than Obama. I can’t stand a career opportunist. It makes me ill than I gave this corrupt Jeb Bush lap dog a leg up and voted for him.

There is nothing TEA Party about Marco Rubio.

No amount of Rush, Levin or any other GOP propaganda is going to make me support this cretin.

I am firmly committed to get this Bush Crime Family lap dog out of office.

He is Obama from the other side of the aisle. He can talk, BFD, so can Obama.

This guy is corrupt and he owes his soul to the company store.

Maybe he should get a REAL job instead of being a career politician.

The AGE of BUSH is O.V.E.R. and anyone who follows the Bush agenda is my enemy. The Bush’s have ruined this country.

Isn’t it a coincidence that the same propaganda machine that told us we MUST vote for the severe conservative Etch-a-sketch is going all out to tell us that we have to adopt the severe conservative Rubio’s garbage. What has Rubio ever done that was conservative other than talk? Doesn’t Obama talk? What he has done is Bush moderate nothing else!

Rubio was never TEA Party. He ran off the stage when he was campaigning in Florida every time a TEA Party candidate was in the vicinity. The corrupt gopE just continues to co-opt the TEA Party like corrupt Trent Lott told them to and constantly refers to Marco Rubio as the TEA Party darling. Rubio always was and always will be Jeb Bush’s client and nothing else.

“A nation can survive its fools and and even the ambitious but it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable… The traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself… He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist.” (Cicero)

Eff you Marco and the Bush horse you rode in on!

Jayrae on January 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Well the local news arw just digging this news only show pro immigration folks natch

cmsinaz on January 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Hey, I agree. My congressman’s office was an emphatic no. For now, I’m giving Cruz some leeway. I intend to keep calling and calling. If he caves, I’ll brand him a traitor accordingly. And he will be if he does.

TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

MarshFox on January 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Thanks MarshFox! I’m covered well down here. Besides I have always enjoyed rebuilding old structures. Maybe this time we can rebuild it in a fashion the Founders will recognize. Lol!

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

At 100+ comments, is this not the most popular TEMS thread ever? =]

Jeddite on January 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

We are doomed.

[JPeterman on January 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM]

I can’t remember. It’s likely. It’s the only act he took that could be the biggest one.

Dusty on January 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

sauldalinsky on January 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I learned from the last amnesty battle that you have to hound Cornyn to the bowels of hell. He’s up for re-election in 2014 and everyone that’s called has reminded his office of that fact.

TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Jeddite on January 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Has to be, right?

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Jayrae on January 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

It has become very clear that Rubio is The Man Who Never Was. He’s just an actor and I think more and more people are starting to see through his act.

VorDaj on January 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

JPeterman on January 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Edwin Meese :

I was attorney general two decades ago during the debate over what became the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. President Reagan, acting on the recommendation of a bipartisan task force, supported a comprehensive approach to the problem of illegal immigration, including adjusting the status of what was then a relatively small population. Since the Immigration and Naturalization Service was then in the Department of Justice, I had the responsibility for directing the implementation of that plan.

President Reagan set out to correct the loss of control at our borders. Border security and enforcement of immigration laws would be greatly strengthened—in particular, through sanctions against employers who hired illegal immigrants. If jobs were the attraction for illegal immigrants, then cutting off that option was crucial.

Lesson of 1986

The lesson from the 1986 experience is that such an amnesty did not solve the problem. There was extensive document fraud, and the number of people applying for amnesty far exceeded projections. And there was a failure of political will to enforce new laws against employers. After a brief slowdown, illegal immigration returned to high levels and continued unabated, forming the nucleus of today’s large population of illegal aliens.

sauldalinsky on January 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM

TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

In an interview here Ed gave with Cruz before the election, Cruz didn’t want to impose any self limitations on numbers of terms he would serve. I think he’s in it for the long haul, thus is susceptible to these things, like any other prospective lifer. I like the guy and a lot of what he says, but it’s still early in his career up there.

Dongemaharu on January 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

xblade on January 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Dusty on January 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

I just googled it and he said it.

JPeterman on January 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

What makes Rubio think Obama will enforce the border…It’s a crock!

workingclass artist on January 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Agreed, and I think we can, problem is for me anyway is that we are wasting are time at the Federal level. DC is a rotting cancer, even the Founders knew that when they struck the deal to build there that eventually it would turn into a cesspool, considering it started as a swamp more or less anyway. No, for as much grief as I will get and be told I am talking about crazy things like nullification and succession, which I am not, what I am really saying that if just one state stood up to the Feds, just one, enough of the others would follow, especially if you picked the right states, and a few are already under red control, just a matter of hardening them and insulating from the Feds repercussions, once the Fed becomes irrelevant, they become tame, and then they become workable again. Not a pipe dream either, the blueprints are out there, just need the right people to execute!

MarshFox on January 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Hey, I agree.

I know. I was just elaborating a bit.

TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Good work, Ann …. but I wouldn’t hold my breath. Whenever they start out this way on an issue that is so fundamental and obvious (it seems that none of these idiots were conscious from 2006 to 2008 or has any understanding of what amnesty did to the GOP last time) it usually doesn’t end well.

As for me, I’m just done with the GOP. I’ve had more than enough backstabbing from them. If they were going to defend America in any way, then I might go on with the abuse but they are just useful idiots to the useful idiots on the left. Either I’m voting third party (certainly NOT libertarian, as they are generally idiots of the first order, too) or I’m just not voting. 2012 was it, though. And now, with the re-election of the Weeping Boner (an unbelievable unforced error) and this cr@p … that’s it.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Has to be, right?

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

This thread will deserve some form of honorable mention during the “TOP 50″ at the end of 2013.

Jeddite on January 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

MarshFox on January 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Agreed. Strong states will quell Federal aggression.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Rubio says “I will not be part of a bill” that doesn’t guarantee enforcement

You worked with McCain, Schumer, and Durbin—-three snakes if there ever were.

arnold ziffel on January 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Good site:

Center for Immigration Studies

and

Even amnesty advocates acknowledge that the enforcement provisions of any package deal are bogus. For instance, over at the Plum Line, Greg Sargent writes about the Senate outline’s proposal for a commission of southwestern leaders to certify control over the border before the “provisionally” amnestied illegals get green cards:

And if this “commission” doesn’t ever decide the border is secure, couldn’t that result in 11 million people being stranded in second-class legal limbo?

That’s a legitimate worry, according to Frank Sharry, the executive director of America’s Voice, a group advocating for immigration reform. But he tells me that on a conference call yesterday, Democratic Senators reassured immigration advocates that this commission won’t be constructed in a way that will hold up the process for too long.

As Sharry put it, Democrats realize that they can’t “allow the commission to have a real veto” over setting in motion the path to citizenship. He noted that Dems see the commission as “something that gives the Republicans a talking point” to claim they are prioritizing tough enforcement, giving themselves cover to back a process that “won’t stop people from getting citizenship.”

In other words the certifying commission is a lie.

INC on January 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM

You know your gonna catch it for that slight on Libertarians when RWM sees it. I know you didn’t mean all, plus it bothers me none in the grand scheme of things, I am just a sheepdog, sitting up on my hill watching the flock, knowing I have to fight the wolves to save the flock, but get beat by the shepard at times as well, almost like a no win situation, funny that, a sheepdogs life!

MarshFox on January 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

If Kool were around we could go for 1000 comments.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Rubio says “I will not be part of a bill” that doesn’t guarantee enforcement

Simply put, I don’t believe you, Marco.

BabyGrace on January 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

The Stupid Party! Starring John McCain, Marco Rubio, and a special guest live from his cruise to Alaska – Ed Morrissey. Climb aboard!

Slade73 on January 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Slade73 on January 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Don’t lend your hand to raise a flag on a ship of fools.

VorDaj on January 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Rubio supports gun registration.

Published on Jan 16, 2013
Bill O’Reilly lays a plan for total centralization of all gun crimes, insane mandatory sentencing, Federal restrictions on movement throughout the country with your property, Federal databases of ownership, and Federal background checks for everything. Then Marco Rubio comes on and says he had no problems with any of it. The following are O’Reilly’s quotes.[/quote]

rayra on January 28, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Didn’t Reagan get that “guarantee” back in 1986?

JannyMae on January 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Finally dying down. Nice run there Ed. One for the record books.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Guys.. More likely Ryan-Rubio or Rubio-Rice.

Illinidiva on January 28, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Jayrae on January 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Bush Crime Family? What is this DailyKos.com circa 2004?

thebrokenrattle on January 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Allen West for senate?

can_con on January 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Meh.
Obama will declare an “Undocumented Americans Crisis”, convene an “Undocumented Americans Summit” where he (or Biden)will berate the spineless, unprincipled Rubio-McCain gang and the Dems will get thier 20 million new voters-welfare recipients before you can say “Yo quiero Taco Bell!”.

whatcat on January 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Levin discussed this in his first hour. He said that since Obama flagrantly is choosing which laws to enforce and not enforce, it is obvious that any border control to go along with amnesty would not be enforced during the next 4 years.

karenhasfreedom on January 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Finally dying down. Nice run there Ed. One for the record books.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Don’t these threads usually have comments in the single digits?

TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Marco Rubio is a very good politician and maybe will be a great politician one day if he can avoid not get caught up by the Bush foreign policy team that he sometimes hangs out with.

Some of you don’t understand the difference between politicians and prophets. Prophets don’t win elections, in fact they never win elections. George Washington was a great politician, that is why he showed up in his military uniform during the Continental Congress. He was basically saying pick me!…pick me!…and John Adams nominated Washington not because everyone thought he was the best choice at the time, but because they needed Virginia to support the revolution, especially the wealthy plantation class.

Patrick Henry, Thomas Paine, and Samuel Adams on the other hand had less than amazing political careers, great street patriots and fighters, true prophets, but not great politicians.

If your looking for your favorite prophet to win the presidency or even major higher office you are always going to be disappointed. It is the way it always has been in American politics.

William Eaton on January 28, 2013 at 8:49 PM

So much in this thread worth dittos

The GOP establishment genuinely thinks their base is so dumb that they can change “amnesty” to “normalization” and no one will know what they’re talking about.sauldalinsky on January 28, 2013 at 4:36 PM

correct

rik on January 28, 2013 at 3:47 PM !
Midas on January 28, 2013 at 4:34 PM !

Umm.. Ed is definitely Team Rubio and they’re all Ed posts. And it is a big day in positioning Rubio for his evenutal 2016 run
Illinidiva on January 28, 2013 at 4:52 PM

re Sean:

He got his marching orders from amnesty lover Rupert Murdoch. TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM

who also just removed palin from his stable

The GOP wants the Illegal Immigration issue done and over with. They know they can’t win it. They want pass laws to include illegals, deal with the fall out which I’m sure they think will be minimal, and get back to ruling. portlandon on January 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM

correct

Sorry Marco, but I don’t beleive you any more than I believe John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, Eric Cantor, Kevin McCarthy, Paul Ryan, Chris Christie, bw222 on January 28, 2013 at 5:38 PM

ditto

because the current law is not enforced, and was not enforced under Bush, there will be no enforcement of a new law, just more voters
I hope MM’s got the fight in her again.
Jeddite on January 28, 2013 at 5:40 PM

she created awareness
CantCureStupid on January 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM – !
ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM – !
RovesChins on January 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM- yup

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice… I’m a Republican leader.
profitsbeard on January 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

yup

This all ends badly, very badly. DFCtomm on January 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

– yup
VorDaj on January 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM – yup
ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM – yup

Schumer, McCain, Durbin, Menendez, and Rubio.
That’s an image that will never disappear.
…Sorry Marco,, you sleep with dogs….
wolly4321 on January 28, 2013 at 7:03 PM

correct

All the institutions of your once great nation are being field dressed, wrapped in freezer paper, put into the freezer. Not a damn thing you can do about it either.Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

1. yup 2. not dead yet

I’m sitting here, and I’m watching my world, Western Civilization, un-stitch itself. It’s sped up to the point that now I feel like I can watch it real time, instead of at the speed that grass grows. Yet, it seems that it’s just me, so am I crazy or are all you crazy? DFCtomm on January 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

not crazy

, the tea party is now big business instead of the grassroots movement it once was. JPeterman on January 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM

Still real but pretenders have been created for the kill

Eff you Marco and the Bush horse you rode in on!
Jayrae on January 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM

ditto

It has become very clear that Rubio is The Man Who Never Was. VorDaj on January 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

yup

…It’s a crock! workingclass artist on January 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

and planned that way

This is worse than the last amnesty end run, because the RINOs are working this time to purge those who will not obey the new order. This will be very ugly indeed.

entagor on January 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

They may think they will win, but they do not yet understand the scope of how they will lose

entagor on January 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Rubio says “I will not be part of a bill” that doesn’t guarantee enforcement

He’s ALREADY a “part of a bill that doesn’t guarantee enforcement”. If he was interested in “enforcement”… he’d be talking about DEPORTATION for people who have broken U.S. immigration laws.

This latest GOP idiocy regarding amnesty as a means of courting the Latino vote is insulting to law-abiding citizens. It’s not about immigration law. It’s about keeping the government hand-outs coming. If it had been about amnesty, the GOP would’ve reaped the benefits of the LAST amnesty under Reagan. We would’ve seen DECADES of loyal Latino support for Republicans. But that’s not what happened.

Marco Rubio is making a mistake if he thinks he can roll out pretty much the same crap this nation rejected six years ago and still enjoy the same kind of support he’s had from conservative voters who believe in the Rule of Law. If I was interested in joining the Identity Politics crowd… there’s already an app for that.

Murf76 on January 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

enjoy the media fawning Marco. As soon as you toss in your hat for President you’ll be the guy who lied about his parents and used funds unethically again.

Slade73 on January 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

WASHINGTON, DC — U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) issued the following statement regarding today’s bipartisan immigration reform proposal:

I appreciate the good work that senators in both parties have put into trying to fix our broken immigration system. There are some good elements in this proposal, especially increasing the resources and manpower to secure our border and also improving and streamlining legal immigration. However, I have deep concerns with the proposed path to citizenship. To allow those who came here illegally to be placed on such a path is both inconsistent with rule of law and profoundly unfair to the millions of legal immigrants who waited years, if not decades, to come to America legally.

onlineanalyst on January 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Who Knew?

Rebecca Leber / ThinkProgress:NEW!
The U.S. Border Is More Secure Than Ever Before — The bipartisan framework for immigration reform proposed by a bipartisan group of 8 senators would provide 11 million undocumented immigrants with a pathway to citizenship only “upon securing the border and combating visa overstays.”

What are they smoking over at ThinkOppression?

Galt2009 on January 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Snookered. No way around it. Lack of leadership on our side. HeII we hardly have a side these days.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM

There are no sides anymore. The “game” is more of an intra-squad scrimmage.

bofh on January 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

So, Rubio rewards people who break the law. Easy to mark him off the list of potential presidential candidates.

Panther on January 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Yeah, Marco, we’ve heard that song before -more than once.

THey’re all stinkin filthy liars. (with a few exceptions)

stenwin77 on January 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM

TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I think Eds high average has been 3.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Ed, you really should try and book Sarah for your show sometime. Big thread counts and a lot of mischief. Something to consider, ; )

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Who wants open Borders?

Drug users, yes. Most corporate employers don’t want illegal immigrants. Those who do are wrong on more than one count, and I’d prosecute them if they were instrumental in admitting illegals. But you miss the point, anyway.

No matter who might want it, it hurts the country and the border needs to be secured. Until it is, nothing else we do will help, only hurt.

Neither drug users/dealers nor corporate interests are the reason behind the move to drop security in favor of amnesty–Democrats want it to get voters, and Republicans are clueless as to how to say NO.

Before The Won was elected, I ranked illegal immigration as the greatest threat to our national financial health. Obama has now turned back to an increase in the influx of illegals, followed by their legalization, as a way to spend even MORE money, and hurt the country MORE, and our party is willingly going to help him. Why in the world is there nobody else pointing out the damage a path to CITIZENSHIP as opposed to a chance to RESIDE here legally can do?

jjnco73 on January 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Sorry Rubio is bought and paid for by the gop establishment and his task is to go out and be the face of “REFORM”!!

As in how can you rank and file Conservative hicks and hayseeds be so mean to “Mr. Hispanic”. It’s the same old crap that McCain and Bush couldn’t get done 6-7 years ago. Now they have a new fresh face on their same old SHINOLA!!!

SEAL SEAL SEAL THE BORDER FIRST……FIRST…..FIRST!!!

If they were serious they would do that first…..but they are NOT.

This is to flood the US with yet another wave of Illegals of 10-20-30 million and voila we will have a US that has no sovereignty.

Making a “greater good” Union for North American businesses a reality.

Businesses and Ruling classes run this government……WE OBVIOUSLY DO NOT.

PappyD61 on January 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM

“I will not be part of a bill” that doesn’t guarantee enforcement”

This RINO truly doesn’t get it.

voiceofreason on January 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Keep in mind that the GOP can lose this in too ways ..
it can pass a bad bill or walk away from a good bill

After listening around, I’m beginning to get the feeling that this bill may .. I stress may .. be a fairly decent bill.

I’m also beginning to sense that the Democrats are now trying to convince the GOP that it is a bad bill. This allows them to show that they care more about Hispanics (but not those Mexicans that Fast and Furious helped killed) and keep this thorny issue alive.

J_Crater on January 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Don’t these threads usually have comments in the single digits?

TxAnn56 on January 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM

I’ve seen some with comments in the negative digits.

bw222 on January 28, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Keep in mind that the GOP can lose this in too ways ..
it can pass a bad bill or walk away from a good bill…

J_Crater on January 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Do you work on Capitol Hill? We’ve already heard that rationalization.

We’ve Seen This Senate Amnesty Movie Before

Substantively, the main point of this outline is mass amnesty for all 11 million illegal aliens. The shiny objects the tricksters dangle about employment verification and border enforcement are nothing. They’re nonstarters for those who’ve paid attention to past immigration debates

INC on January 28, 2013 at 10:03 PM

As should be obvious, it’s not “legal status” that’s at stake, because they’d get that immediately. The phony enforcement trigger (certification by “a commission comprised of governors, attorneys general, and community leaders living along the Southwest border”) would simply lead Congress to change the name of the legal status illegals have and give them a different color card.

INC on January 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

We are doomed.

JPeterman on January 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

I just googled it and he said it.

JPeterman on January 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I just googled it and found where others have said he said it, but did not find him saying it.

rukiddingme on January 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM

closing in on 200 comments!

Jeddite on January 28, 2013 at 10:10 PM

J_Crater on January 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I don’t know why you’re framing this as a go along or we’ll have worse.

A majority of Americans want always say enforce the border first. A good bill would be a stand-alone enforce and close the border. Period.

It would have the support, as I said, of a majority of Americans.

There’s nothing hard about understanding that. Congress just doesn’t want to understand it.

I hope Rubio has staff reading this thread. (BTW, Senator, I’m a Floridian).

INC on January 28, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Listened to Levin while drving home from work, and he pulled his punches in the segment I heard. So it’s Michelle Malkin alone in the conservative corner for now along with some angry voters calling their congresscritters, and see what Rush does tomorrow. I can’t listen at work, but if one of you guys don’t mind posting what Rush says, I’ll read hotair threads on my phone. Cheers.

sauldalinsky on January 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Rubio was on Mark Levin’s show last week and I got the impression that Levin washed Rubio’s B.S. sandwich down with a gallon of Kool-Aid. Levin always goes easy on guys if they appear on his show.

bw222 on January 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Come cruise the Alaskan Inside Passage with Generalissimo Duane and Blogger Ed.

I’d love to be there Ed. But, before my mother died I promised her that I would avoid associating with serial killers, rapists, RINOs and guys who think they are Spanish war heroes.

bw222 on January 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

bw222 on January 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Yep. The Levin interview is posted on what looks like Rubio’s official youtube channel along with praise from the usual suspects. I’ll be curious to see Rush tomrrrow, because he could go either way. He’s certainly carried water for the in the past, but he’s also more independent and closer to retirement so he could be more willing to speak his mind rather than go along to get along with the establishment.

sauldalinsky on January 28, 2013 at 10:51 PM

bw222 on January 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I don’t understand Levin’s blindspot for Rubio…Levin hammered Gov. Perry on his program for his stance on immigration reform & border security.

Gov. Perry’s plan was realistic and extensive based on his experience as a Border state Governor & he placed the priorities on border security first, then clearing up the courts.

workingclass artist on January 28, 2013 at 11:02 PM

RUSH is a HUGE SUPPORTER of Rubio and the Bush Family.

Sorry it’s still Amnesty…..AND CHUCK SCHUMER is SMILING !!!

How can you support it on that alone???

PappyD61 on January 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM

So it’s over? No renewal in sight? No hope?

thebrokenrattle on January 28, 2013 at 10:55 PM

All that is possible, on the other side. You have to make it, relatively, intact for any of that to happen but it’s possible, and I believe even probable, but only after you’ve survived the fire.

DFCtomm on January 29, 2013 at 7:33 AM

DFCtomm on January 29, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Wrong thread. It’s early.

DFCtomm on January 29, 2013 at 7:36 AM

I have had it with the Vichy Republicans. My take.

kingsjester on January 29, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Shhh, Marco is completing his immigration evolution; and, so it goes, another potentially decent Republican caves on an important issue. What next, Marco, the Second Amendment?

RoyalFlush on January 29, 2013 at 9:24 AM

(CNSNews.com) – The Department of Homeland Security is promoting welfare benefits for immigrants on its website WelcometoUSA.gov despite a law that seeks to prevent new immigrants from becoming dependent after entering the United States.

In spite of the law. Feds don’t give a shit what the law says. Unless it is you breaking it.

J_Crater on January 29, 2013 at 10:54 AM