Report: Boy Scouts may drop ban on gay scouts, scout leaders

posted at 5:44 pm on January 28, 2013 by Allahpundit

A case study in why (most) gay-marriage supporters won’t despair even if SCOTUS ends up upholding Prop 8 this year: Over time, cultural change will help them achieve what courts can’t or won’t. The Scouts won an epic Supreme Court discrimination case in 2000 protecting their right as a private organization to exclude members based on orientation. A little more than a decade later, they may be ready to jettison the ban and let the local sponsors and parents involved with individual Scout units decide whether gays should be admitted. (Call it the “federalist approach.”) How come? Pressure, from both within and without. But mostly without:

Two corporate CEOs on BSA’s national board, Randall Stephenson of AT&T and James Turley of Ernst & Young, have also said they would work to end the ban. Stephenson is next in line to be the BSA’s national chairman. During the 2012 presidential campaign, both Barack Obama and Mitt Romney said the BSA should admit gay scouts and scout leaders.

About 50 local United Way groups and several corporations and charities have concluded that the ban violates their non-discrimination requirements and have ceased providing financial aid to the Boy Scouts. An official of The Human Rights Campaign, an advocate for gay rights, said HRC planned to downgrade its non-discrimination ratings for corporations that continue to give the BSA financial support.

“It’s an extremely complex issue,” said one Boy Scouts of America official, who explained that other organizations have threatened to withdraw their financial support if the BSA drops the ban.

Curious that the Scouts aren’t worried about counter-boycotts by more socially conservative organizations. Maybe they should be:

The Southern Baptist Convention views homosexuality as sinful based on scripture and not acceptable as normal behavior, Mohler said. Ending a national policy on gays would raise a question in the mind of every Scout’s parent and require families to research the policy of each Scout troop and sponsoring organization before joining, he said.

“This is going to raise a fundamental question for the Southern Baptist Convention at national level and in the churches” about whether to reconsider a decades-old relationship with the Boy Scouts, Mohler said.

While that decision would be up to individual Southern Baptist churches, Mohler said: “I’m quite assured that those churches will be reconsidering that relationship if this policy goes into effect.”

Yeah, the key question here obviously is whether the “federalist approach” can satisfy either side or whether individual units’ decision to admit/deny gay Scouts will trigger a national ban of the BSA by some groups. Mohler seems to be hinting that it will in that excerpt (“at the national level”); a GLAAD spokesman who talked to USA Today called the new Boy Scout proposal a good “first step,” so presumably they’re hoping for further action (like, say, an order from the national board requiring individual Scout units to admit gays?) too. According to CNN, 70 percent of Boy Scout troops are affiliated with a church or religious group, but “some Scouts and Scout parents say that passing the decision to the local level will have little effect on the ground, because many troops have been ignoring the national policy anyway.” How that shakes out under the new policy, I don’t know. Does it actually end up being counterproductive by re-energizing a divisive issue at which most troops were already looking the other way?

Exit quotation from the GOP’s last presidential nominee: “‘I feel that all people should be allowed to participate in the Boy Scouts, regardless of their sexual orientation,’ Romney said in the video from 1994 recently re-surfaced by the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. He added at the time that he supports ‘the right of the Boy Scouts of America to decide what it wants to do on that issue.’”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I find it strange that both the Boys Scouts and Augusta, after long fighting and winning in their fight for their right of association, to just all of a sudden give in for no reason.

Flange on January 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Well if change occurs, it will give new meaning to “bed checks” at night.

GarandFan on January 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

This is great news. And unless you think all gay people are, well, see the comments below, you’ll think so too.

YYZ on January 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

lame

ninjapirate on January 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Turn about. *snicker*

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

As I mentioned in the headline thread, like churches who feel the need to change their charters, thinking that it will improve their PR and membership, the Boy Scouts will only find the opposite results.

besser tot als rot on January 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Open season on underage boys!

Stoic Patriot on January 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

It is another leftist push to erode common
decency. My sons were scouts. We left
because most of the leaders were assholes.
Now parents will have gay assholes to contend
with.

redguy on January 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Can better looking uniforms be far behind?

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

So – can I be a Girl Scout leader now?

mojo on January 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

It’s about time.

SnarkVader on January 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

YYZ on January 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

You’re kidding right? If this thread isn’t built for satire and tom foolery none is. Lol!

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

BSA should take a lesson from the Catholic Church.

monalisa on January 28, 2013 at 5:50 PM

I think it is a stupid move. Boy Scouts have been plagued with molestation scandals, and this puts them even more in the line of fire.

Do I think homosexuals molest anymore then hetero- No, but I won’t take a chance with my children. I don’t want a homosexual boyscout leader camping with my son for the same reason I don’t want a hetero Dad camping with my daughter. There are some things you just don’t tempt fate with and that is your children…

melle1228 on January 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

So – can I be a Girl Scout leader now?

mojo on January 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Girl Scouts surrendered in the culture war long ago.

besser tot als rot on January 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

“Indoctrinate while their young.”

-LibGayMafia

portlandon on January 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

So – can I be a Girl Scout leader now?

mojo on January 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Are you a lesbian?

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

their = they’re

portlandon on January 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Another win for the gay mafia. America isn’t slouching towards Gomorrah, we are running headlong into it.

tom daschle concerned on January 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Fine fine, whatever.

Just make sure the parents are FULLY informed of who is, and who is not, a gay scout leader. (or look for the Expert Macrame badge)

Let them vote with their feet. Bad scout leaders see their dens shrink until they disappear. Good ones grow, and their is no geographical exclusivity to the dens.

Oh, and gird yourself for the eventual sexual abuse lawsuits…

Snowblind on January 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Blogs In, Badges Out as Girl Scouts Modernize
Amid Falling Membership, Group Is Rebranding Itself, but Cookies Will Remain

It makes no difference. The Boy Scouts also declined over the years. These organizations are doomed. Most national orgs, which are not expressly religious, are becoming tools of liberals.

Rocks on January 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

portlandon on January 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Would it have worked this way?

while=with

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Y’know, you don’t see many scout uniforms in them gay bars…

Jeddite on January 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM

YYZ on January 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Can Straight Men be Girl Scout leaders and lead them to overnight camp outs?

portlandon on January 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM

It was inevitable, really. The values that Scouting was built around have all but totally vanished, and this was next.

MelonCollie on January 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Another cultural institution bends the knee to the amoral money bags and nut cases backing the “Revolution of the 2%”.

Mason on January 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Parents worth their salt will keep their sons away. So sad to see our country continue on this path.

Rose on January 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Fallon, I have been as good as a boy scout today. ; )

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Stupid idea by stupid CEO’s.

The only thing that allowing gays in will do is to increase the number of molestation claims and destroy whatever value is left in scouting.

This is just another battle in the leftist’s war on American culture and tradition(s).

TKindred on January 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Can Straight Men be Girl Scout leaders and lead them to overnight camp outs?

portlandon on January 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM

besser tot als rot on January 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

YYZ on January 28, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Can Straight Men be Girl Scout leaders and lead them to overnight camp outs?

portlandon on January 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM

No, but YYZ sees homosexuals as above those little things like sexual molestation. We should all risk our kids because someone somewhere wants to feel good about who they sleep with.

melle1228 on January 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

And another venerated, long-standing institution shall quickly die.

FiveG on January 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

melle1228 on January 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Are you sure about that? I think they can.

besser tot als rot on January 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Could someone give me some clarification? Am I reading this correctly that some troops already have gay members?

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Are you sure about that? I think they can.

besser tot als rot on January 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I don’t honestly know, but I know that I would view a heterosexual dad taking my daughter camping in the same light as a homosexual Dad taking my son– and it wouldn’t happen either way in my household.

My daughter doesn’t go to girl scouts, because they jumped the shark years ago and became a leftist propaganda organization which is beholden to planned parenthood et. al.

melle1228 on January 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I think I’m going to cry tears of joy. I’m gay, and of a family of Eagle Scouts. The son, grandson, cousin and nephew of six Eagle Scouts. I have to text them. :’)

ZachV on January 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM

MelonCollie on January 28, 2013 at 5:54 PM

True.

Scouting is set up to be about several things: having fun, learning ‘outdoors’ skills, and the civic virtue of service. But it’s also been centered around a set of core values that used to represent common American values but have been seriously eroded over time.

gwelf on January 28, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Should be sub-titled: What could go wrong?

How does this make any more sense than putting a bunch of male scoutmasters in charge of a Girl Scout camping trip?

Socratease on January 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

My better half says this is a bad idea. I won’t share with you the evidence she provides. Research it for yourself. No reason to give her years of expertise for free. Let the lawsuits commence. She adds, she would hope to be proven wrong on this as she always has. Proven wrong that is. Fact is she hasn’t.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Fallon, I have been as good as a boy scout today. ; )

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Must have been the Shoe-Fly Pie. That would sweeten up anybody.

Back in the stone age, when I was in college, I wore my brother’s boy scout uni for kicks (I know it’s against the rules) but I looked pretty hot in it, lol. I got the idea here and here.

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Secular progressives, and this includes those on the right side of the political spectrum, need to just outright declare all religion and private institutions with Judeo-Christian values as bigoted, anti-American institutions, repeal the establishment clause, and begin the inquisition against Christians.

Just get on with it already, that’s where all the fallacious rhetoric of labeling all those with traditional values as “bigots” is taking us anyway.

Daemonocracy on January 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Perhaps a distinction is being drawn between Scout members and Scout Leaders?

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Why don’t the gays just make they own
organization? Gay Scouts. Imagine the
marketing potential.

redguy on January 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Isn’t teaching young kids strong values and personal responsibility a good thing … whether straight or gay?

Kids need all the help they can get fighting the propaganda of the godless left.

As long as the BSA stay committed to their values I don’t see a problem.

darwin on January 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

The banning of homosexuals was in the first place an answer to rampant sexual abuse. The change worked, but at great political cost. Many towns and cities will have nothing to do with the scouts and do everything they can to quash the organization.

Another example of heterophobic left and their campaign of constant coercion.

StubbleSpark on January 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I bet you did look hot missy. Yum!

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Daemonocracy on January 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I believe we will see that in my generation.

tom daschle concerned on January 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Socratease on January 28, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Wouldn’t the equivalent be lesbian Girl Scout leaders? Annnnd, I’m pretty sure they already exist.

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM

ZachV on January 28, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I guess congratulations are in order.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Don’t want anyone to be confused by this. It was an overt heterosexual flirt with a favorite commenter. Yum!

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Imagine the marketing potential.

redguy on January 28, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Imagine the uniform! Fabulous! Make it work!

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I remember in the 90s when they were all up in arms because women married to registered sex offenders could not be GSA leaders. People were actually upset with it ignoring the fact that they were having meetings at their homes or picking up their wives and children. It’s not a freakin’ right!

Blake on January 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Since these folks won a court battle on the exclusion issue I think it is up to them to change or not to change. But I think it would be unfortunate if the decision was being made because they are being bullied. If it is financial, I would suggest that they just learn to live within their means, sounds like something Boy Scouts should know how to do anyway.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 6:08 PM

If you outlaw Boy Scout gay sex, then only outlaws will perform Boy Scout gay sex.

Paul-Cincy on January 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

No. Males are more sexually aggressive and promiscuous. Particularly gay males. They would be more likely to cross the line. Check the sex crime stats and you will see what I mean.

echosyst on January 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Fallon, schweet! The possibilities are endless.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:09 PM

melle1228 on January 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Hmmm, I guess that thing with the church wasn’t real?

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Next, girls in the boy scouts. Yum! Can’t wait. There is a Brownies joke in there somewhere.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I bet you did look hot missy. Yum!

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

One time, I was followed around campus by a little Asian photographer. Everytime I turned around *click* *click* *click*. It did make an impression. I ended up on many pages in the college’s marketing brochures, lol. Oh, to be young again.

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Another one bites the dust…

This just more and more pitiful by the day…

Scrumpy on January 28, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I’m an Eagle and den leader for my 2 boys in Cub Scouts. I’ve been in Scouts for about >20 years. Scouts has been a group that represented values I agreed with. We supported Scouts through their legal battles. We participated boycotts against those companies who dropped funding for Scouting. If they change their policy on this my family and I will be done.

They can be whatever they want to be. But they will be leaving behind a lot of people who stood with them. Boy Scouts depends heavily on religious groups for their membership. They might get better funding, but they won’t have anyone to attend their programs. I think this will pretty much kill the organization.

I’m seriously disappointed that this is a possibility at all. I’m waiting for them to toss out “Reverent” and drop the Scout Law to 11 points. Maybe we could get rid of “Trustworthy,” “Thrifty,” and “Courteous” too, they’re pretty old-fashioned. What exactly does Boy Scouts think it is? Apparently not what I thought it was.

johnsl14 on January 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Hmmm, I guess that thing with the church wasn’t real?

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Yes, it was.. But I have watched “pro-gay” people tap dance around the fact that pedophilia does exist within their community. They will claim that a women molesting a little girl or a man molesting a little boy is “pedophilia” and has no bearing on their community.

Either way I don’t care. A gay male camping with my son is equivalent of a hetero male camping with my daughter. It is not worth the risk.

melle1228 on January 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Sullivan’s Law (John Sullivan, former editor, National Review):

Any organization that is not explicitly Right Wing will eventually become Left Wing.

Cleombrotus on January 28, 2013 at 6:17 PM

LET THE BOYS DECIDE

lm10001 on January 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM

As long as the BSA stay committed to their values I don’t see a problem.

darwin on January 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I agree in principle but there are some problems in practice.

I don’t like the idea of a gay leader taking any of my sons camping (just like I wouldn’t want a straight male leader taking any of my daughters camping).

Also, as a vehicle for teaching what are now conservative values (what used to be just American values) I think scouts can do a pretty good job but if this scenario plays out like every other institution targeted by progressives it will be turned into a vehicle for liberal indoctrination.

gwelf on January 28, 2013 at 6:19 PM

What could possibly go wrong..?

d1carter on January 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

oops from previous post….

Let the boys decide….

‘You can take gay scouts and scoutmasters with you into the woods

or

You can take scouts and scoutmasters that happen to be hooters girls’

I mean if the point is to promote sexuality … in the woods…. these boys should have well rounded choices.

lm10001 on January 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Might could email these folks with your thanks and gratitude.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM

There’ll be some really interesting new badges out of this…

trigon on January 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Flange on January 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM

2nd that

cmsinaz on January 28, 2013 at 6:21 PM

If so…the Boys Scouts will soon be a footnote.

God have mercy.

kingsjester on January 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 5:49 PM

pink and green with a hint of taupe…

cmsinaz on January 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

johnsl14 on January 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Fortunately – for now anyway – it looks like the local organization can make their own decisions. All the religious organizations can keep doing things the way they’ve always been done.

But like all institutions which get turned into vessels for progressive ideology the “federalist” principles will be removed and top-down dictats will be issued. We’ll see in time of this is the way the BSA eventually goes.

gwelf on January 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Don’t Boy Scout Leaders usually have a child who is a Boy Scout?

RovesChins on January 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM

No parent worth their salt would let their sons be in the Boy Scouts. The Boy Scouts will have to rewrite the Scout Oath, and I don’t know what else.

Boy Scout Oath or Promise

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

INC on January 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM

If it happens it’s just another group trading its Godly identity to cozy up to the worldly.

tommyboy on January 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Lovin it!

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Don’t Boy Scout Leaders usually have a child who is a Boy Scout?

RovesChins on January 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Um…

One Dad, Two Dads, Brown Dad, Blue Dads

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on January 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

United Way’s policy toward’s the scouts is one reason i do not donate to them. This proposed change will only lead to fewer contributionsnto the scouts. Do they really think it will help?

Fenris on January 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Good for the Boy Scouts.

Now if we can only stop female school teachers from molesting young boys and getting light sentences or no sentences at all.

SC.Charlie on January 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

pink and green with a hint of taupe…

cmsinaz on January 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM

You and Bmore need to get together to get these uniforms designed. Delightfully rugged but not too butch.

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM

melle1228 on January 28, 2013 at 6:16 PM

If my guys were little I would feel the same way. I know a lot of people will think this is stupid but I can remember when my sons were too old to go into the ladies rooms with me anymore and I would hover outside the mens room in dread that someone would mess with them while I was waiting for them.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM

If they do this, I’ll to them what I did to the Girl Scouts – stop giving them money.

madmonkphotog on January 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM

*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on January 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Its what our side gets for remaining docile and conciliatory. The silent majority views will continue to be road roughshod over. Until we muster the energy to have a voice and organize. Or not. For me, I am looking at changing my silence into action.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM

SC.Charlie on January 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Amen on the school teachers. On the Boy Scouts, I’ll let the parents decide.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Don’t Boy Scout Leaders usually have a child who is a Boy Scout?

RovesChins on January 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Um…

One Dad, Two Dads, Brown Dad, Blue Dads

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Yeah, I just left that low hanging fruit out there.

RovesChins on January 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM

My son is 14 now. I stopped hovering last year although I do eagle eye the bathroom door and count the minutes. Call me over protective, but I would be horrified if I trusted someone and they betrayed that trust with my child. I can’t see volutarily putting themselves in the position where they could be a victim. I would rather have them join organizations that don’t camp out with strangers etc.

melle1228 on January 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Yeah, I just left that low hanging fruit out there.

RovesChins on January 28, 2013 at 6:31 PM

We see what you did there.

AZfederalist on January 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:30 PM

*sigh*

you’re right…and it sounds like that is going to be the status quo per ryan’s prudent phase…

cmsinaz on January 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Go ahead and drop the “morally straight” part of the Scout oath by not barring queers (the accurate term for what homosexuals are) and watch the organization wither and die. Mormons, for example, have BSA as their official boys program. Wanna bet they drop it? The adult leadership is overwhelming hetero and church based. Dropping the requirement to be sexually moral on that front will be suicidal for BSA.

I’ll say “Alas I knew him well” back when it was a worth while organization, but no more.

Quartermaster on January 28, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Shouldn’t they have to admit girls?

Buddahpundit on January 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM

heh

cmsinaz on January 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Good for the Boy Scouts.

SC.Charlie on January 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

The problem is that teachers are in a position of trust and are given carte blanche access to children the same way a gay scout leader would be given access to his charges.

Funny how you applaud one decision and disparage the other when they both risk boys.

melle1228 on January 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM

LOL, what could go wrong?

Midas on January 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Report: Boy Scouts may drop ban on gay scouts, scout leaders

…you think this will make the Girl Scouts a little leary?

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Boy Scout Oath or Promise

On my honor, I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

INC on January 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Straight. Or gay. What difference does it make at this point?

Paul-Cincy on January 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Shouldn’t they have to admit girls?

Buddahpundit on January 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

One can only hope.

Bmore on January 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Midas on January 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Given the state of the press, if it’s anything but positive you will never know.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM