Powers: That Obama-Clinton interview looked just like “state-run media propaganda”

posted at 1:11 pm on January 28, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

President Obama and outgoing Secretary of State Clinton sat down together for a 60 Minutes interview, aired last night, that I’d say was approximately zero parts hard-hitting foreign-policy discussion and all parts mutually complementary chucklefest (marking the first time the president has sat down for a joint interview with anyone other than the FLOTUS, by the way):

Yes, we get it: You two are great buddies, you’ve enjoyed an [arguably, hem hem] successful foreign-policy working partnership throughout Obama’s first term, and everything between you personally and professionally is hunky-dory. Kirsten Powers, et al, were decidedly not impressed with the whole softball-lobbing spectacle on Fox News this morning, and also wondered — what does this level of all-too-friendly endorsement mean for Obama’s loyal vice president? Click the image to watch at RCP:

photo Screenshot2013-01-28at123530PM_zps6acf4b8f.png

It was really something you would expect from like, the state-run media. It was that kind of level of propaganda as far as I’m concerned. … I can understand maybe in agreeing to the interview, letting them have maybe one softball question in the beginning and then move on to more important things. This was a joke. Just not challenging basic things like the president claiming that Hillary’s been a great secretary of state in part because they have dismantled Al Qaeda. Now, I’m sorry, is anyone paying attention to what’s going on in North Africa? Why is the president not asked about Algeria, Mali, Libya? These are front and center in the news right now.

Bonus, Politico has a handy roundup of Clinton’s evolved “will she run?” answers:

“I’ve said I really don’t believe that that’s something I will do again. I am so grateful I had the experience of doing it before.” — Dec. 12, 2012, in an interview with ABC News’ Barbara Walters.

“I am — thankfully, knock on wood — not only healthy but have incredible stamina and energy. I just wanna see what else is out there.” — asked in the same Walters’ interview if her health would prevent her from running.

“I think that, you know, look, obviously the president and I care deeply about what’s going to happen for our country in the future. And I don’t think, you know, either he or I can make predictions about what’s going to happen tomorrow or the next year.” — Jan. 27, in a joint interview with President Barack Obama on CBS’s “60 Minutes.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

marking the first time the president has sat down for a joint since that morning

FIFY

The Rogue Tomato on January 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

it was!…just not used too it yet!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

P U L I T B U R O !

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I’ll take “Infomercials” for 200, Alex.”

apostic on January 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Ya think? LOL

idesign on January 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM

MEDIA MENACE!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM

That Obama-Clinton interview Mainstream press coverage of the entire Obama Presidency looked just like “state-run media propaganda”

Fixed.

Good Lt on January 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Notice how she looks like a bobble head doll with that compulsive head nodding?

50sGuy on January 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM

It is state-run media, Kirsten.

Bitter Clinger on January 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

…I swear JugEars had a sex change…HE HAS HIS LEGS CROSSED like that AGAIN!…there’s NOTHING THERE!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Powers is pretty. Too bad she’s a typical, common, run-of-the-mill liberal.

That takes the candy out of the term ‘eye candy’.

Liam on January 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Wrong think detected.

Career over.

Bruno Strozek on January 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I didn’t expect – or want – Kroft to hammer the two over the head but I did expect a few challenging questions.

The friggin’ Octomom would have gotten more difficult questions.

That sounded funny, but seriously she would have gotten a harder time.

SteveMG on January 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Hard to dislike Kirsten Powers even when she’s wrong. I wish there were more democrats like her. We’d be a much better country.

jawkneemusic on January 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Kirsten Powers is way too hot to be liberal.

Archivarix on January 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I am an extremely good predictor. Ask my haters, lol. And I predict that HRC WON’T run in 2016. Nah, ain’t gonna happen, although most of you think thats the case.

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Too bad she’s a typical, common, run-of-the-mill liberal.

I don’t think a typical liberal would have made the comments she’s made about the press coverage of this Administration.

Powers deserve credit for breaking from the pack. And if you go to liberal websites she’s getting hammered for it.

SteveMG on January 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Why is the president not asked about Algeria, Mali, Libya? …you try asking questions when your mouth is full!
You want them to gag or something?

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Kirsten Powers is way too hot liberal to be liberal hot.

Archivarix on January 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Accuracy in blogging, if you please.

Liam on January 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

…I didn’t hit the strike button!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

You know – there IS somehting useful that this Blog could do:

That is going after The Mainstream Media in a Full-Tilt Attack Mode

I don’t just mean exposing every single instance of The Media “Covering-Up”, Lying or “Carrying Water” for Obama and Liberal Politicians, althought that would be helpful.

I mean digging into the details and exposing and systematically destroying the lives of people like Wolf Blitzer, Andrea Mitchell, Brian Williams, Bill O’Reilly, and all of the rest.

I know that would not take a lot of “reporting skills” to discover a plethora of scandals in the background of these people, their lying, their dobuble-dealing, their cutting deals with the Democrats for broadcast influence – to really bring some hammers down on them or at least destroy the public’s view of them.

williamg on January 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Ms Powers YOU gave us Obama to play these games sweetheart….

enjoy him he’s YOUR man…..

harlekwin15 on January 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I never expected this kind of heterodoxy from Kirsten Powers. I admire her for it.

rrpjr on January 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Was the “How are you feeling now?” question a tipoff to how the interview would go? I couldn’t stand to watch it. I was certain they wouldn’t be called out on their lies.

Paul-Cincy on January 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Had it primarily been meaningful FP questions etc., with 1 or 2 of the People Magazine type questions…fine.
But it was the inverse of that.
And I hear Obama and Biden have agree to a joint interview focused on the boxers or briefs question….

verbaluce on January 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Newsflash, Kirsten . . . It was a state run media propaganda event.

rplat on January 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Somebody somewhere already described it as a ménage à trois.

Anybody on a sugar-restricted diet shouldn’t watch it.

Maybe in the interests of balance Steve will invite Bush and Rice in for a similar softball game – Hahahahahaha….

Drained Brain on January 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Come on, now… He’s a man’s MAN! He goes skeet shooting ALL THE TIME!

climbnjump on January 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

jawkneemusic on January 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I think Kiki is being not only an honest reporter, but a patriot. Americans are getting killed overseas by al-Queda, and instead of our media pressing Obama and Hillary on why the hell this keeps happening, a formerly respectable news program like 60 Minutes is acting like Pravda. If this doesn’t simultaneously p-ss you off and concern you, then you’re either a moron or in bed with this administration.

Doughboy on January 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM

…I didn’t hit the strike button!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

It was a called strike. Ump has a big zone today.

Flange on January 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Accuracy in blogging, if you please.

Liam on January 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

My sausage is probably as libertarian as I am because it couldn’t care less about Kirsten Powers’ political affiliation. It likely doesn’t hurt, however, that she is not an empty-headed progressive bimbo. This article is actually a good proof. Just try to imagine, say, Solenoid O’Brainless saying anything like that, and you’ll see the difference.

Archivarix on January 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Missed the interview. I figured the Pro Bowl would be more honest and interesting.

And it was.

rbj on January 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Drained Brain on January 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I would like to see Colon asked, seated next to Bush, about his Republicans are racist crap

Flange on January 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM

And it was.

rbj on January 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Wrestling would be more honest.

The Rogue Tomato on January 28, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Honestly, what difference does it make? No matter who the Donks nominate in 2016 we’ll get more of the same with their invoking Reaganesque worship and hoping to carry on the “good work” And besides, if all we do is nominate McCains and Romneys, then what hope is there for anything to change? Rubio’s not the answer. Talking-points Jindall’s not the answer. Nobody really wants anybody with the last name of Paul, and absolutely nobody wants anybody named Bush. Any decent leaders out of Indiana that we could have hoped for are either not interested or too pussy-whipped to count on. Give it up. Man simply cannot rule himself properly. It’s against his nature. Nations without borders, here we come!

HiJack on January 28, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Clinton looks like she’s had a stroke. 60 Minutes and the rest of the state run media can go to hell.

RobertE on January 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Will Killary appoint Chelsea as the new ambassador to Libya before she leaves state?

HondaV65 on January 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

You mean the state run media that covered the 1K man gun control march but passed on the 400K March for Life? That one?

hillsoftx on January 28, 2013 at 1:43 PM

rbj on January 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM

same here and we were laughing at how lame it was. I saw two passes thrown to JJ Watt even.

If anybody is watching the networks for news I’d be surprised. And 60 Minutes shed its credibility long ago as well.

DanMan on January 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM

You know – there IS somehting useful that this Blog could do:

That is going after The Mainstream Media in a Full-Tilt Attack Mode

williamg on January 28, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I’m all for this, but let’s not forget that a lot of reporters already were exposed by the Daily Caller in the Journolist scandal(if you can even call it that based on the nonexistent fallout). Did any of them face any repercussions? Hell, Ezra Klein who was behind the whole thing didn’t suffer any career setback. Also, remember how it was revealed that news organizations like ABC were holding morning conference calls with the White House? Last time I checked, no one ever fired or reprimanded George Stephanopolous or anyone else who works there.

Now if you mean dig up scandalous dirt(i.e. sex or drug stuff), then I’m for that as well. But there’s no guarantee these folks have those kinds of skeletons in their closet.

Doughboy on January 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Of course, given the pre-Benghazi interview with 60 Minutes, can we speculate as to what parts of the interview were not broadcast?

Blaise on January 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I Can’t Watch That. No Matter How I Try.

birdwatcher on January 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

An interview that would makethe old Volkischer Beobachter proud.

Not quite up to Pyongyang Sinmun’s standards however.

acyl72 on January 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

All I can say to Kirsten is, “welcome to the party, pal!”

Really, after the last 4 years of the state-run media constantly RAPING the truth in order to make Obamao look good and it takes you until now, to acknowledge the stench of propaganda?

Wow. I guess better late than never.

Meople on January 28, 2013 at 1:47 PM

It was a called strike. Ump has a big zone today.

Flange on January 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM

(:->)

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Come on, now… He’s a man’s MAN! He goes skeet shooting ALL THE TIME!

climbnjump on January 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM

He’s not a Man’s man,

he’s not a woman’s man either,

nor is he a woman’s woman,

or a man’s woman,

but I suspect that he is a man’s Man, if you know what I mean…

Just ask that Larry Sinclair fella.

turfmann on January 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

RobertE, thats not a good thing to say. Don’t sound like the DU’ers, kos kids. They may be our political enemies, but thats it. Don’t get personal.

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

America……TRANSFORMING quicker than an AutoBot.

State run propaganda interviews and reporting and now NBC is reporting that the Boy Scouts are getting ready to let gays into the organization?

If so, Boy Scouts……..DEAD.

PappyD61 on January 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Kirsten’s not afraid to speak out when she deviates from the party line. She’s thoughtful and intellectually honest, which sets her apart from most of her comrades.

She’s also a lot of fun to look at.

petefrt on January 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I Can’t Watch That. No Matter How I Try.

birdwatcher on January 28, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Exactly, no way I could even watch it.

Meople on January 28, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Wonder if the creature from the lobster eating lagoon was artifically inseminated.

acyl72 on January 28, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I haven’t determined yet if Kirsten has sobered up and started to see some glimpses of reality through the left wing propaganda haze she has spent her life in or if she is pandering to the management at FOXnews.

farsighted on January 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Doughboy on January 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

They’re liberals. So, yeah they got them. The problem is they’re liberals. Nobody cares.

Mitoch55 on January 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

That Obama-Clinton interview looked just like “state-run media propaganda”

Kirsten Powers

If the POTUS or Hillary are going to submit to an interview, this is the only kind it will be.

I didn’t need to watch it, or read Ms Power’s take on it to know it was a farce.
If the President or Hillary (or BOTH) ever … submit to an interview, it is axiomatic that it will be like “state-run media propoganda”, period.

listens2glenn on January 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM

*************** Progressively Orgasmic *******************!

canopfor on January 28, 2013 at 1:53 PM

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I will not challenge your prediction prowess but I have to admit that whether she runs or not is of only mildly interesting to me since it’s a lead pipe cinch I wouldn’t vote for her. It is an interesting spectacle to watch purely on a manipulation basis though.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 1:56 PM

If so, Boy Scouts……..DEAD.

PappyD61 on January 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

PappyD61:Yup,I seen that pop up:)
==================================

Boy Scouts of America actively considering dropping ban on gay scouts, scout leaders – @PeteWilliamsNBC

53 mins ago from usnews.nbcnews.com by editor
=================================================

canopfor on January 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

rrpjr: Admire Kirsten? Why? She voted for O, & probably votes for anyone with a (D) next to their name.
I’m kinda guilty myself, always voting for (R). No more.
I kind of am giving up. There’s really only 1 party, & its been like that for a long time. After fiscally socialist Bush, O has really opened our eyes.

Belle on January 28, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Wow, is that some balloon jacket Hillary’s wearing for the CBS interview or does she need to be restricted to aspirin in the health insurance pool for being BMI-challenged.

Dusty on January 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM

farsighted on January 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I don’t think she has changed her views and she has always been relatively rational, even when wrong (a lot). I would think that it is pretty hard to watch your co-workers, who have probably been supportive of her differing views, get insulted for no better reason than they dare to question The Won. I truly think this man has serious issues.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Dusty on January 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Yeah, I don’t know who directed her to the Chairman Mao Collection but they obviously secretly hate her.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM

[Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 PM]

That’s better than mine. ROFL.

Dusty on January 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Obama was there to intimidate Clinton. Make sure she stayed on script and not blame him for Benghazi on the way out the door.

If you look carefully, she was blinking Morse Code.

portlandon on January 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Nice dog-and-pony. Seeing as how much Barry and the Clintons HATE each other. But Joey “The Mouth” has to wonder if he’s being set up.

GarandFan on January 28, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I reckon Kirsten had already lost her Party Membership privileges by virtue of just being on FNC, so why not tell the obvious truth on occasion?

forest on January 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Doughboy on January 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Indeed.

jawkneemusic on January 28, 2013 at 2:06 PM

********* PopCorn Alert **********************

Live video: Protesters gather in Cairo’s Tahrir Square as violence and unrest continue to sweep across Egypt – @NBCNews

3 mins ago from http://www.breakingnews.com by editor
==================================================

canopfor on January 28, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Anyone interested in reading a hot gas point counterpoint column with Kirsten and one of the esteemed Hot Air contributors (EJ/MKH)?

can_con on January 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM

i saw a little of a ‘interview’ with the Clown Combs and Jim Pinkerton (i think)

I didn’t see but maybe half of it…but I think the main story was that is was a puff piece…and that Kroft should have asked them something about the 08 campaign. Huh?

I didn’t hear pinkerton’s head explode…that wasn’t the story, the story was that barry inserted himself so that it would be about barry and hill and not about that guy Ben Gazhi, or whoever that the ultra right wing nutballs want to talk about (and Sharyl Atkinson)

humorously Atkinson tweeted some Q she’d like to ask Mr. and Ms politburo about our ambassador. Too bad she works for another network….wait….

r keller on January 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM

…this should by the scope of its importance to our freedom…be a thousand comment thread!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Kirsten Powers makes me wish people would stop being so bigoted against plural marriages. I just wanna love who I wanna love!

Nutstuyu on January 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Well 60 minutes, is the adversary network under the Republican, re
Paul O’Neil, Sy Hersh, et al, and state run under other regimes,

narciso on January 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Kirsten Powers is way too hot liberal to be liberal hot.

Archivarix on January 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Accuracy in blogging, if you please.

Liam on January 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Maybe you’re doing it wrong. You know, they don’t have to talk during…

Nutstuyu on January 28, 2013 at 2:43 PM

If so, Boy Scouts……..DEAD.

PappyD61 on January 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

PappyD61:Yup,I seen that pop up:)
==================================

53 mins ago from usnews.nbcnews.com by editor
=================================================

canopfor on January 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

THEY’RE FREAKING 3% OF THE FREAKING POPULATION!!!!11!!1!1! Stop catering to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nutstuyu on January 28, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Come on, now… He’s a man’s MAN! He goes skeet shooting ALL THE TIME!

climbnjump on January 28, 2013 at 1:32 PM
He’s not a Man’s man,

he’s not a woman’s man either,

nor is he a woman’s woman,

or a man’s woman,

but I suspect that he is a man’s Man, if you know what I mean…

Just ask that Larry Sinclair fella.

turfmann on January 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

“Skeet” is code for one of the many activities available at Chicago bathhouses.

Nutstuyu on January 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I think Cuomo and Schmuck Schumer are going to have a few things to say about who runs in 2016. Plus, another 4 years on that face is going to have Hillary looking more like McCain.

HopeHeFails on January 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM

can_con on January 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Sure, why not.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 2:54 PM

and this is surprising to who?

Joey24007 on January 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM

That Clintbama interview was a rehearsed concert of lies.

The look of derision and surprise on Baracks face when they were asked about the expiration date was all any viewer needed to know it was all a choreographed farce. Of course Hill never skipped a beat she diverted Scott like the perfect charlatan she really is.

Speakup on January 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM

SteveMG on January 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM

She is most definitely a lefty.

But she also took the left to task for the sexist drivel spewed towards conservative women. ie, Maher et all.

lucyvanpelt on January 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Don’t know how anyone could watch those two swine. And the swine doing the interview.

I would need a barf bag.

fogw on January 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM

“Skeet” is code for one of the many activities available at Chicago bathhouses.

Nutstuyu on January 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Skeet is probably Skeet Ulrich but I don’t really want to know what Obastard is shooting him with.

bbinfl on January 28, 2013 at 3:28 PM

lucyvanpelt on January 28, 2013 at 3:13 PM

She was also very vocal against the progressive bullies that forced that minister out of the inauguration over something he said a long time ago.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Who gave the ‘stand down’ order…?

Seven Percent Solution on January 28, 2013 at 4:01 PM

America……TRANSFORMING quicker than an AutoBot.

If so, Boy Scouts……..DEAD.

PappyD61 on January 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Uh, I wouldn’t count on that. After most of the real boys are gone the Boy Scouts will just merge with the Girl Scouts. By then it won’t make much difference with all of the demonstrations and riots in the streets because all the welfare moms and their pimp daddies won’t be receiving any more checks with the nation being bankrupt and all.

HiJack on January 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I thought they needed a soundtrack for the interview for the full effect of the Love. Maybe the Carpenters Close to you?

PattyJ on January 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Croft could have started out like this:

So, when you appeared before me with your husband, when the Gennifer Flowers story broke, you both lied to me and the American people about whether he had had an affair.

Then, when your husband lied about having had an affair with Monica Lewinsky, you went along with his lies. He was disbarred and you are no longer eligible to practice law in Arkansas.

With that in mind, why should I and the American people believe anything you say?

One can dream, no?

Thank you.

Cold Warrior on January 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Sure this interview wasn’t done on Al ‘Jazeera’ Gore’s old network?!

easyt65 on January 29, 2013 at 8:30 AM