Obama: Sure, I go skeet shooting all the time

posted at 9:31 am on January 28, 2013 by Allahpundit

I know you’ve seen this at Drudge, appropriately posted beneath a photo of the Hopenchange crew cracking up in laughter, but some panders are so shameless and comically implausible that they must be commemorated in a post. (Unfortunately, politicians’ need to ingratiate themselves with gun owners has been known to lead to this sort of thing.)

To believe this, you need to believe that O splits sharply from most ivory-tower liberals when it comes to recreational shooting. How likely is that? In what other ways, based on what we know about him personally and politically, does he stray from the path of the stereotypical left-wing intellectual? The only one that pops to mind is that you’ll find him at church on Sunday morning very occasionally. Maybe that’s how it is with skeet shooting — a once-a-year lark, just to get “back in touch” with the people.

FF: Have you ever fired a gun?

Yes, in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time.

FF: The whole family?

Not the girls, but oftentimes guests of mine go up there. And I have a profound respect for the traditions of hunting that trace back in this country for generations. And I think those who dismiss that out of hand make a big mistake.

Part of being able to move this forward is understanding the reality of guns in urban areas are very different from the realities of guns in rural areas. And if you grew up and your dad gave you a hunting rifle when you were ten, and you went out and spent the day with him and your uncles, and that became part of your family’s traditions, you can see why you’d be pretty protective of that.

So it’s trying to bridge those gaps that I think is going to be part of the biggest task over the next several months. And that means that advocates of gun control have to do a little more listening than they do sometimes.

Hunting has very little to do with the Second Amendment but it’s an evergreen rhetorical sop to rural voters (many of whom live in purple states) whenever Democrats start getting grabby about guns. Clinton mentioned it the other day in warning Democrats not to condescend to their opponents, moments before he said of rural gun owners, “A lot of these people … all they’ve got is their hunting and their fishing.” Obama’s been talking up the glories of hunting since 2008 at least; he celebrated it again in the opening to his speech two weeks ago before launching into an explanation of why he needs to take executive action on guns. Listening to a liberal defend hunting is like watching a volcano start to smoke: You know what’s coming, and it won’t be good. But hey — if your concept of self-defense extends no further than long rifles or shotguns, you’ve got nothing to worry about. Continue to cling bitterly to them as needed.

The dirty little secret being obscured by O’s ode to the joys of hunting skeet is that the White House is slowly easing off a bit on the big gun-control push. OFA chose Friday afternoon, when most people are tuning out of politics for the weekend, to send an e-mail urging supporters to start calling congressional offices and pressuring them on guns. This morning, Democratic sources are grumbling to BuzzFeed that gun control may end up being to Obama’s second term what Social Security privatization was to Bush’s. Quote:

On Capitol Hill, the perception among many is that Obama has essentially written them off when it comes to gun control.

“No, they’re not talking to anybody,” a second Democratic aide said, adding “Maybe, maybe they can get something on background checks” through the House and Senate.

That’s the White House’s new plan. Focus on universal background checks, which are popular across the board in polling, as something that really might pass Congress and then try, try, try to hold as many Democrats together as possible on more aggressive doomed-to-fail stuff like the assault weapons ban. If they can at least manage a near-party line vote, then they can blame gun control’s failure on the GOP and hope that the public is peeved about that in 2014. Aside from background checks, it’s all kabuki.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yay, I was hoping you would write about his.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Obama: Sure, I go SH!T shooting all the time

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Big deal. Real men go skeet surfin’.

Doughboy on January 28, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Yay, I was hoping you would write about his.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM

…one of the last things you mentioned last night…and you Bishoped this morning! lol

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 9:35 AM

…my girls going off the cliff!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Why, I’d wager that he could even tell you that a skeet is a member of the snipe family.

M240H on January 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Does he go shooting before or after he shops at Mom Jeans-R-Us?

Weight of Glory on January 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

So urban dads never took their kids out hunting? Me and my Dad would like to disagree.

I would pay big money to see Bark shoot skeet; you thought his baseball-throwing ability was laughable.

Bishop on January 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Did he do so in his mom jeans?

changer1701 on January 28, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Does he go shooting before or after he shops at Mom Jeans-R-Us?

Weight of Glory on January 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Heh. Beat me to it.

changer1701 on January 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I can’t imagine the Secret Service letting a dolt like Obama anywhere near a loaded firearm.

Liam on January 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM

The EPA needs to declare skeets to be an endangered species. Anything Dear Liar touches has a negative effect. It’s the anti-Midas effect.

rbj on January 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Glenn Beck said this morning he shoots skeet with Obama all the time. He said that this Obama is one shooting machine.

petefrt on January 28, 2013 at 9:39 AM

“I don’t always shoot skeet but when I do I wear my multicam mom Jeans and ride my hunting Unicorn, Leroy”.

-Lord Barky

CorporatePiggy on January 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Aside from background checks, it’s all kabuki.

Aside from background checks, it’s all kabuki.

FIFY.

bofh on January 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Hunting has very little to do with the Second Amendment…

Hunting has absolutely nothing to do with the second amendment. It’s all about defense.

CurtZHP on January 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Yay, I was hoping you would write about his.

Cindy Munford on January 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Me too. It’s comedy gold.

Are they mocking it on Twitter yet?

petefrt on January 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I don’t buy it at all. Barky would have had the White House photographer put together a centerfold of him with a 12 gauge for Field & Stream if he didn’t have such a disdainful attitude toward gun rights. The Blue Dogs in OH, PA, WV, NC, etc. would have been all over it in November.

I find it hard to believe that there is not a single, publicly available photo of him skeet shooting if in fact he did do so.

blammm on January 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Obama: Sure, I go SH!T shooting all the time

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Thread winner right out of the box.

Bitter Clinger on January 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM

The laughing picture on Drudge is priceless. Among Drudge’s best evah.

petefrt on January 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Obama kills skeet? It’s shocked. I thought he was a sensitive guy.

forest on January 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Obama wouldn’t know which end of the weapon…

Oh, never mind, he could always get weapons training from his buddy, Jay-Z or one of the posse.

Hunting?

Typical liberal-progressive stupidity.

The Second Amendment never mentions hunting, target shooting, deer or anything else other than what it says…clearly.

It is all about the Right of self-defense as a people.

The Second Amendment was designed as the last ditch, the final buttress, against tyranny…nothing less.

Skeet shooting?

Sure.

coldwarrior on January 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Yeah, sure. He probably thinks a clay pigeon actually looks like a pigeon, and trapshooting involves shooting animals caught in a snare.

RadClown on January 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM

M240H on January 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

He’ll claim that he’s an expert snipe hunter soon enough. Hehehe!

blammm on January 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Maybe he goes to the shooting range to smoke. Michelle probably won’t go near the place. It’ perfect cover.

forest on January 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM

What he should have said is the American life in urban areas is very different than the American life in rural areas. It is this difference that is at the core of the problems we currently have in this country. City Slickers vs Country folks. Life in the city makes one soft, any “hunter gatherer” instinct we still have in our genetics is completely lost on the urban lifestyle. If it snows 2 feet, you walk a block or two at most to get staples. For those of us in the country, if we don’t have the staples coming from our own backyard, we have to trek miles to get them or do without. My opinion is that almost every social issue we are currently grappling with in this country is because of the differences between urban living and rural living. Not that there aren’t good conservative people living in cities, and a number of lib/dims/socialists living in rural America, BUT the urban lifestyle just does not promote the type of lifestyle that agrees with conservatism. I encourage folks to look at our problems from this perspective and see if you agree.

rayvet on January 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I don’t believe it for a second. If skeet are being shot while he’s up there, I’d bet he’s nowhere the recreational activity that *other* people are doing. I’d bet further that it’s not occurring because the noise would be troubling to the Mooch and the spawn, if not to Obama’s big sensitive ears.

Midas on January 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Yeah Obama knocks down some clay birds right after he protects our freedom.

No, that all smells.

Speakup on January 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Shooting skeet is not hunting, Mr. Prezzy, just like you shooting hoops is not basketball. First of all, I don’t believe a word out of his mouth about this. Registration is not required by the constitution to keep and bear arms. There are over 22,000 gun laws on the books and the few more being proposed now won’t keep anyone any safer. An AR can be used for hunting. It’s not designed for that purpose, but it is an easy gun to shoot.

Kissmygrits on January 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM

To paraphrase yosemite sam:

Ahm the rootinest tootinest skeet shootinest president evah.

gh on January 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM

If he shoots skeet like he golfs, no one is safe.

RobertE on January 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Obama was channeling John Kerry: “Can I get me a hunting license here?”

Coming soon: Obama escorts WH press corps to Dick’s Sporting goods to watch him buy a size XL jock strap.

petefrt on January 28, 2013 at 9:49 AM

The best Drudge headline of all time is still the rotting whale in Malibu; however, this one is good. And I’m sure that voting for assault weapons would play really well in Arkansas and Alaska.

Illinidiva on January 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM

So Obummer is now having Elmer Fudd delusions?

bloviator on January 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM

“I go skeet choomin’ all the time” is more believable.

Flange on January 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM

They’re not even trying to get his lies straight anymore.

the_nile on January 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM

rayvet on January 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM

After being a city boy all my life, with about 15 years also living in a rural PA town, I agree with you. Never thought of the differences so succinctly, but you’re right. Most city people would experience ‘culture shock’ to see a sign advertising the nearest (and only) McDonald’s is “13 miles this way —–>”

Liam on January 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM

They’re not even trying to get his lies straight anymore.

the_nile on January 28, 2013 at 9:51 AM

He has no more elections to face.

gh on January 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Blowing up things with remote controlled drones is not skeet shooting.

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM

The 2nd Amendment — all about defending ourselves from the tyranny of wabbits.

The Rogue Tomato on January 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM

how could Obama be any closer to the Black experience in America? He golfs and skeet shoots by God

Slade73 on January 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Seriously, did I make the only “Get Low” reference this thread will ever see? I’m disappointed.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Blowing up things with remote controlled drones is not skeet shooting.

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM

“Pakistani children, like fish in a barrel!” – Obama.

the_nile on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

So what?
HitlerThe leader of the national socialist party of Nazi the late 1930′s-1940′s in Germany loved his dog too. Big deal.

JellyToast on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Allah, you should have evidence before calling our President a liar. Just sayin’

nonpartisan on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Um, Mr. President, this is not the same thing as actually using a gun.

Nethicus on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Only after Obama has to defend his home and family from an intruder, using a firearm, will I take him seriously.

Liam on January 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Robert ‏@deepereyes

So @BarackObama shoots #skeet. I think Bill Clinton shot skeet, and Monica saved the dress that some of it got on.

……….

Adam Baldwin ✔ @adamsbaldwin

Shorter Obama: “Can I get me a skeetin’ License?” – http://bit.ly/Vd9oh6

………..

Nathan Wurtzel @NathanWurtzel

Obama: I go skeet shooting all the time. I killed three skeet just last weekend.

petefrt on January 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Uhhhh, They “trace back” throughout the history of humanity. Hardly an American exclusive.

Bonehead!

FOWG1 on January 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Slade73 on January 28, 2013 at 9:56 AM

I dare you to look up skeet on urbandictionary.com.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

haha. I don’t think of the song anymore. I hear skeet skeet, and my brain sees Dave Chapelle as Lil John

Slade73 on January 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

What with all the golfing, basketball playing and now skeet shooting, it’s a wonder he finds any time at all to hang out in the Choom Room at the bathhouse.

Naturally Curly on January 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Is he trying to pass off his pack-a-day Kools habit as “skeet-shooting breath”?

Rational Thought on January 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Exactly, we would have photos coming out of our backsides if this was true. Photos of a smiling Obama with his high dollar over under telling everyone how much better he is than anyone else and could have been on the Olympic trap team, if he wasn’t just do damn good at being president.

kam582 on January 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM

drugs and guns don’t mixed, President Choom.

Oil Can on January 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I guarantee you that if – and that’s a big IF – he shoots skeet, he does it exactly like he throws a baseball or bowls.

Until we see pictures taken before he made this ridiculous comment, I think we can safely call “MomJeans on Fire!” on this one.

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I dare you to look up skeet on urbandictionary.com.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

So he’s no teabagger…

the_nile on January 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM

If he really wanted to bridge the gap between urban and rural he would leave us the f alone and let the states decide what is best for the people. But no, he knows better than anyone what is best for all of us.

kam582 on January 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

whoever wrote that is my new hero

Slade73 on January 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Slade73 on January 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM

What?!? What?!? What?!? OK!!!

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Nathan Wurtzel @NathanWurtzel

petefrt on January 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Cant you just snare trap the skeet?

the_nile on January 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I dare you to look up skeet on urbandictionary.com.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Yikes! NSFW

RadClown on January 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

It’s a loaded reference… I had to erase a whole bunch of really bad double entendres. I just can’t do it.

Fallon on January 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM

If he goes skeet shooting – I look like a victoria’s secret model.

gophergirl on January 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Obama has studied the British model of gun confiscation via Alinksy and Sun Tzu: divide the opposition (“we liberals have no problem with shotguns used for hunting, and we hope reasonable sportsmen see the need for sensible gun control”), polarize the isolated target (“the NRA are extremists and assault rifles are eeeeeeeevil”), and then destroy the opposition piece by piece.

In the UK, pistol owners, long gunners, and hunters were told their weapons were not to be targeted, and each group let the one before them be disarmed. Now the right to self-defense is almost literally non-existent in Great Britain, as is the right to bear any sort of firearm for that purpose.

The progressives are playing the same long game here. First discredit the NRA and outlaw “assault rifles”. Pistols will be next. Then all non-single shot rifles and shotguns will be outlawed. Loose-lipped leftists at the D a i l y K o s and elsewhere have outlined just this long-term plan, including a gradual discrediting of hunting.

MidniteRambler on January 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I dare you to look up skeet on urbandictionary.com.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

So maybe he does have skeet-shooting breath!

Rational Thought on January 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Notice how he says “We” instead of “I”. I can state

Yes, in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time.

but that statement doesn’t necessarily mean I am participating in it. Now if he had said “I” go skeet shooting, it changes the entire dynamics of the statement.

Either way, I think he is full of sh*t.

Gothguy on January 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Know that scene in Platoon where they use a shotgun to pass some joint smoke? I think he’s confusing that for skeet shooting.

Zaggs on January 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Obama must have started skeet shooting only recently, otherwise there’d be no first daughters.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Check out Drudge. Heh heh. He’s going hard at the “Dude, everyone knows you’re gay” narrative today. I read somewhere awhile back that Drudge has some pretty good evidence on Zero’s…ummm…preferred recreational couplings, so from time to time he likes to taunt Zero with it. Heh heh.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM

MidniteRambler on January 28, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Yup.

the_nile on January 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM

nonpartisan on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Since when is a Democrat President lying something you’re suddenly concerned about?

Y-

Del Dolemonte on January 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I bet he goes Snipe Hunting too.

Del Dolemonte on January 28, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Results for absolutists

canopfor on January 28, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Ya know,if you skeet-shoot,target practise,
or anything else,normally,the brand of the
firearm gets mentioned!

Jus say’n!!

canopfor on January 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM

nonpartisan on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Come on, man. This is Zero we’re talking about. His lips were moving. He’s lying. It’s called common sense.

“Our” president lies to us all the time. Does that bother you like this posting on the interwebs does? Just sayin’.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Haven’t read all the comments…..but don’t I recall Obama is no fan of Camp David? Wonder how many trips he’s taken to CD.

Obama doing skeet shooting? Did he get Michelle’s permission?

Buck_Nekkid on January 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Drudge still has the headline, but just changed the picture to mr. Mom jeans riding the girls bike. With a helmet on.

Lol! Keep it up, Matt! You’ve got plenty of material!

Naturally Curly on January 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM

When was the last time you heard someone, other than than our chief liar, say, “We DO skeet shooting all the time?” You say, “We GO skeet shooting all the time.”

HE IS SUCH A LIAR!

fbcmusicman on January 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

nonpartisan on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Drinks are on me…~passes you a shot of Massengil with a vinegar-and-water chaser~

Liam on January 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM

He grew up hunting moose in Hawaii and Indonesia.

the_nile on January 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Results for #guncontrol

canopfor on January 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM

nonpartisan on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

…golly gee noPenis0n…it’s not like JugEars has a proven track record of that kind of ‘evidence’… or something

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Now Drudge has him with a squirt gun!

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Rational Thought on January 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM

nonpartisan on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

C’mon! Employ some common sense. It’s like Michael Moore saying he runs marathons all the time.

RadClown on January 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM

M240H on January 28, 2013 at 9:36 AM

ROFLMAO!!!
My pick for thread winner.

dentarthurdent on January 28, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Playing on the Presidential Wii does not count Barky.

D-fusit on January 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Yeah. I’ll donate $500 to DNC if the Preezy can demonstrate how to break High House 4 from a low-gun start.

He knows Skeet like I know Chinese opera.

LimaLimaMikeFoxtrot on January 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

nonpartisan on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Obarky’s left-wing lapdog media has published photos and sotries on pretty EVERY golf outing Obarky has made, as well as his beach outings, basketball, and everything else he does.
Why have there been NO NADA NONE ZERO stories up to now about his skeet killings?

dentarthurdent on January 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM

That made me giggle. Yeah. Sure. The public, which overwhelming rejects the assault weapons ban, will blame the GOP.

The reality is the public will hold those who voted for the ban accountable by voting them out of office.

ButterflyDragon on January 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Obama’s army was out this weekend. Me and a buddy both live in Al Green’s district, which is next door to Sheila Jackson Lee’s. He answered his door yesterday to a black couple wanting to share God’s word on gun ownership. He patiently listened to them for a minute or so and then politely unloaded on them his perspective. He had attended a 10 hour CHL class the day before.

When he mentioned Sandy Hook in the same sentence as all the minority shootings that go unreported in Houston he heard the girl say “and Chicago too”. He thinks he may have turned them around.

DanMan on January 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Yes, in fact, up at Camp David, we do skeet shooting all the time.

Q. Who talks like this?

A. Someone who wants to sound like they’ve done something they haven’t.

D-fusit on January 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM

nonpartisan on January 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM

This should be enough:

Obama 2008 – “I Am Not Going To Take Your Guns Away, That Just Ain’t True”

But a few minutes of research on https://ixquick.com/ will only bolster this fact.

Galt2009 on January 28, 2013 at 10:43 AM

This is not so laughable.

I’m taken to understand that tyrants like guns for themselves, but not for others.

freedomfirst on January 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM

All the time, Obama says.

Is that 24/7?

Moonlight skeet shooting? Dusk to dawn, with glo-in-the-dark pigeons?

Even on Sunday, during services at the post chapel?

All the time?

Right up there with “As I always said…”

And people actually re-elected this buffoon?

coldwarrior on January 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM

First will be this because people are to dumb to understand what it means. Then they will ease in the mental health angle and guns will be basically banned because nobody but government officials and law enforcement will be demeaned mentally healthy enough to have a firearm. All they will need is a panel of mental health lackeys to have a consensus with other countries that just wanting a firearm in this day and age is a sign of a mentally unstable person.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Barack Obama’s Dictionary: Skeet Shooting. The sport of hunting mosquitoes, also known as “skeeters”.

Buy Danish on January 28, 2013 at 10:49 AM

While Camp David has a skeet shooting range I seriously doubt the president has ever visited it and I want to see a photo to backup this ridiculous claim.

JeffinSac on January 28, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Mr President, would you take the shotgun from the Secret Service agent on your right and show us where the “safety” is?

Mr President, what “gauge” is your shotgun?

What’s your favorite type of “action”?

What’s your preferred “choke” for skeet shooting?

What’s the difference between “skeet” and “trap” shooting?

Who’s better at “skeet” shooting, you or Dick Cheney?

listens2glenn on January 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM