Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on January 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

The Senate proposal will probably include four main elements: border enforcement, employer enforcement, handling the future flow of legal immigration (including temporary agriculture workers and high-skilled engineers) and a pathway to citizenship for those who entered the nation illegally. Mr. Obama’s approach will largely echo his 2011 immigration “blueprint,” which he first outlined in a speech in El Paso, and calls for a pathway to citizenship for the more than 11 million illegal immigrants already in the country.

Though all members of the Senate group agree that some pathway to legal residency must be a part of the final proposal, they are still divided on what exactly that route should be. Republican lawmakers are urging that border security be tied to a pathway to citizenship and other requirements like having those who entered illegally go to the back of the line behind immigrants already waiting to enter the country legally, paying fines and back-taxes, and learning English.

“You’ve got border security, you’ve got employer verification and you’ve got a temporary worker program that addresses the magnet, so those three things have to go together to address operational control over your border,” said Senator Lindsey Graham, Republican of South Carolina, one of the senators mapping out the legislation. “Then you go to the next big thing — the 12 million. How do you deal with the 12 million in a firm, fair way, realizing you can’t put them all in jail and they’re not all going to self-deport?”…

“It’s going far better than any of us expected,” Mr. Schumer said in an interview.

***

Boehner’s comments suggested action in the House is possible as well. In response to a question, Boehner said it is “time to deal” with changes to immigration law. Republican leaders, long opposed to legal changes that would allow more than 11 million undocumented immigrants to obtain legal residency, are increasingly shifting on the issue. They fear alienating a growing bloc of Latino voters whose opposition could force the party into a permanent minority status.

“There’s a bipartisan group of members who have been meeting for three or four years now,” Boehner told the Ripon Society. “Frankly, I think they basically have an agreement. I’ve not seen the agreement. I don’t know all the pitfalls. But it’s, in my view, the right group of members.”

“My theory was that if these folks could work this out, it’d be a big step in the right direction,” Boehner said, describing the group has one that includes both “hard heads” on the Republican side, as well advocates of immigration reform. “So I would think you’re likely to hear a lot more about immigration reform on the House side soon.”

***

The birthrate in this country has fallen below the level necessary to sustain the population at the very time that millions of Americans are leaving the workforce and expecting retirement benefits. The nation needs energetic young workers to spur the economy and support an ever-increasing social-welfare burden.

The only alternatives to increased immigration are mounting debts or reduced social services. A practicable system of work-based immigration for both high-skilled and low-skilled immigrants—a system that will include a path to citizenship—will help us meet workforce needs, prevent exportation of jobs to foreign countries and protect against the exploitation of workers…

Most immigrants come here to secure a better life for themselves and their families. They cherish the values of hard work, faith, family, enterprise and patriotism that have made this country great. Meanwhile, many who were lucky enough to have been born here have grown complacent or even disdainful of these values. America’s immigration system should provide opportunities for people who share the country’s core values to become citizens, thereby strengthening the nation as have countless immigrants have before them.

***

In fact the law-and-order argument, as we have pointed out a few times against immigration reform, has always been among the weakest objections. A system with coyote smugglers, forged paperwork, no enforcement and tax evasion is not law and order by any stretch of the imagination. Moreover, if Rubio is on a roll he might want to explain that the pejorative “amnesty” applies only when there is no consequence for failure to follow the law. That is not what Rubio (who envisions a fine, back taxes, possibly community service and no preferential treatment for citizenship) has been proposing — nor has most every other plan out there. That term is a red herring, indicative of a lazy argument…

It is interesting how a seemingly insoluble problem (e.g. weaning the GOP off immigration exclusionism) melts away if the timing, the messenger, the rollout and the substance of a solution are well considered. Just as the “never agree to any tax hike anywhere, anytime” faded with the realization that the GOP couldn’t stick to that without the White House and Senate, so too there is now a pathway for the GOP to rescue itself and address a major issue.

***

Comprehensive immigration reform could make millions of people suddenly eligible for assistance under President Obama’s healthcare law, assuming a final deal paves the way for undocumented immigrants to receive papers…

Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-Ariz.), a member of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, said the legalization of undocumented people would benefit hospitals now burdened by uncompensated care.

If nothing changes, undocumented immigrants will be a major share of the uninsured, second only to those who are eligible but do not apply for coverage under the healthcare law in 2014, according to the Urban Institute…

“The bottom line is, these people would be contributing toward their own healthcare and not being dependent. They’d be paying taxes. I’d see that as a plus rather than a negative,” he said.

***

[Demanding comprehensive reform] is the same argument Jeb’s leftist allies in his amnesty crusade made during their push for Obamacare. Rather than undertake modest, incremental reforms — allowing the purchase of health insurance across state lines, for instance — the Democrats wanted “comprehensive health-care reform,” and we ended up with a 2,000-page doorstop law that we had to pass to learn what it contains. “Comprehensive immigration reform” might as well be called “Obamigration.”

The authors trot out “The nation needs energetic young workers to spur the economy and support an ever-increasing social-welfare burden.” Uh, immigrants are around twice as likely as the native-born to be poor and use welfare. Among Hispanic immigrants, who represent the lion’s share of the low-skilled workers the op-ed says we need “to support an ever-increasing social-welfare burden,” the majority are on welfare. This isn’t because they’re lazy spongers — fully one-third of immigrant households with a worker present are on welfare. The problem is that a post-industrial, knowledge-based economy doesn’t need additional low-skilled workers. As Milton Friedman famously said, “It’s just obvious you can’t have free immigration and a welfare state.”…

Bush and Bolick end with a fireworks finale of clichés. Immigrants “cherish the values of hard work, faith, family, enterprise and patriotism that have made this country great” and “replenish the American spirit.” While Americans, of course, “have grown complacent or even disdainful of these values.” Immigrants are people like any other, and experience the same temptations and dysfunctions of modernity — illegitimacy, family breakdown, decline of religion, and the rest. Jeb’s objectification of immigrants and antipathy toward the actually-existing American people is repellent but deplorably commonplace among immigration enthusiasts.

***

The success of the Republican Party in rural areas, exurbs and in the South has come at a cost. Socially conservative voters will resist changing their spots. When, and if, Republican leaders determine that the demands of these voters for “massive resistance” to abortion, contraception and immigration are futile, they will have to decide whether to cut them loose. No matter what happens, social conservatives are unlikely to become Democrats. It may not be too long before they find themselves with a choice of their own: withdraw from party politics or hold their noses and stick with the Republicans.

***

Two senators at the center of negotiations over comprehensive immigration reform, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) said on Sunday that a pathway to citizenship is an essential component of a comprehensive reform bill.

“That has to be also part of it,” McCain told ABC News’ Martha Raddatz on “This Week” when asked whether a pathway to citizenship would be a component of reform. “There’s a new appreciation on both sides of the aisle including, maybe more importantly on the Republican side of the aisle, that we have to enact comprehensive immigration reform.”…

“I’m very pleased with the progress,” McCain said. “It’s not that much different from what we tried to do in 2007.”

Via R.S. McCain:

***

“Sitting in these meetings with three Democrats and three Republicans, working on this immigration issue has been as encouraging as the rules vote on Thursday night,” Durbin said on “Fox News Sunday”, referencing a bipartisan agreement in the Senate last week to tweak the filibuster rules.

“We are trying to work our way through some very difficult issues but we are committed to working on a comprehensive approach to finally in this country have an immigration law we can live with,” he added.

Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8 9 10

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Lol… I’ll never forget, my Mom was german and her english pronounciation wasn’t always good.

I was prolly 5 going on 6, and I couldn’t read the word encyclopedia…so she helped me out cuz I had to remember it for school the next day.

She pronounced it ency clop edia…I didn’t know it wasn’t right.

I spoke the word in class, and the teacher laughed at me! I was so embarrassed…then she told me how to pronounce it…

Silly childhood thing I know :-)

Scrumpy on January 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 1:36 AM

The photography is\was outstanding..:)

Dire Straits on January 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:39 AM

O my gosh. Jackie is so alluring I wouldn’t be able to resist stalking her to get some tango lessons.

SparkPlug on January 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Thank you, and have a great night.

Rusty Allen on January 28, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I do like your style!

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

I also have an entire section devoted to literature from university. I saved every single book that I purchased. I still re-read many of them. It’s like a walk with and old friend. :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Sigh… I do wish I still had my books from college, but I have moved sooo many times since then, they just disappeared little by little over the years.

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Rusty Allen on January 28, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Welcome in, Rusty! Pull up some turf and make yourself at home! We have most of what you need, right here. Poetry, music, literature, camaraderie… good company. Let the rest fade for awhile. :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

It’s like a walk with and old friend. :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 1:44 AM

If I have one piece of advice for college students, it’s DON’T EVER sell your books back at the end of the quarter/semester. You spent months getting to know that reference material, don’t ever sell it back for six bucks.

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Yeah not the same tho…

Scrumpy on January 28, 2013 at 1:51 AM

… and the maps. Those were awesome.

AZfederalist on January 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Agreed..You beat me to it..The maps were awesome..:)

Dire Straits on January 28, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Rusty Allen on January 28, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Good Night my friend. I will be talking to you.

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:51 AM

The chilly weather is making me lazy. Don’t want to do nothing. Just curl up.

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM

There would be a Dark Blue 1979 Ford Econoline 150 in your driveway in less than 48 hrs!

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I knew these two brothers that had one of those Econoline vans with a bubbletop. They got stoned/drunk and made it a convertible when driving from one bar to another and went into the bar car park that had one of those signs that say “Rigid Bar Only – Vehicles Under X Height Allowed.”

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM

(1953 edition no less) within arms reach of my desk.

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Dude, you are packing major heat there.

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM

… and the maps. Those were awesome.

AZfederalist on January 28, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Agreed..You beat me to it..The maps were awesome..:)

Dire Straits on January 28, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Indeed. Damned shame they became so Marxist infested that Nat Geo now is only good for burning.

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM

I do like your style!

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

lol

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Exactly. It IS reference material.. and most will find it useful as reference in their careers later on to one extent or another.

That is… if they were actual students, and not just pupils, and read the books to begin with, rather than left them on a desk and pretended to have read them while they worked off Cliff notes and/or plagiarized various internet sources.

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM

where’s bluegill?

omg

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Funny irony,watching Mudcats while reading the blog. That has to be one of those, “here, hold my beer” ideas. One dude got hooked by an old lost fishhook. Great fun I tell ya.

AZfederalist on January 28, 2013 at 1:54 AM

(1953 edition no less) within arms reach of my desk.

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Dude, you are packing major heat there.

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM

My dictionary’s have a special place in my heart, I honestly cannot tell you why, but they do.

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Had always envisioned myself in a nice country home, with a huge fireplace, bookshelves all along the walls, and my books proudly on display…adding more as the years went by…

I purposely bought scholastic books!

I was teaching myself Geology lol…

Ah well… :-)

Scrumpy on January 28, 2013 at 1:55 AM

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Son, do you have a permit for that?

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Where is Mr. Schad?

SparkPlug on January 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Rusty Allen on January 28, 2013 at 1:49 AM

Good night Rusty!! Keep your spirits up!

Scrumpy on January 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Scrumpy on January 28, 2013 at 1:51 AM

In that case, I suggest getting as many volumes as you can make room for…good quality… of your favorite pieces. It will help a great deal to have your favorites in hand. One shelf… or a bookcase. Whatever you can find room for, just to be able to lay your hands on them when you feel like re-reading them. And… you could always switch them out for others from time to time… if the notion grabbed you. :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 1:57 AM

QOTD on a roll. Almost 700 comments. May hit 1000 once the am crowd moves in.

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 1:40 AM

…after so many nights of 3 – 4 and 500 or so comments….over 700 already is humming!…especially with all the diversion to hit 2 grand at the bottom of the lagoon!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Closed off throughout history? Though there were periods of isolation, they certainly don’t extend over most of history. Culturally homogeneous? Are you considering the two largest Asian countries, China and India when you say that? Both are quite diverse ethnically and culturally.

DarkCurrent on January 28, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I was referring to China, Japan, and the Koreas, for example. They have all maintained their Asian cultures and traditions in very large part.

The point is that they were and are even today largely homogenous much more so than Europe, the UK and the US.

PS: I’ve done a lot of work in China and Chinese culture continues to dominate.

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 1:58 AM

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 1:52 AM

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 1:58 AM

She pronounced it ency clop edia

Scrumpy on January 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

That’s pretty sweet. Good for her.

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Hi Kool! Get in the freakin’ van!!

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM

omg stop making me laugh. it’s bedtime, you libertines.

where’s bluegill?

omg

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I’m getting kicked to the curb for Bluegill?

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Son, do you have a permit for that?

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Hey now, it’s not like I’m trying to conceal it… Jeeze the damn thing weighs at least 15 pounds…

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM

SparkPlug on January 28, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Indeed. I miss Schadenfreude. I hope all is well.

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM

‘Tis time to leave and say Good Night!!

God Bless!

Sleep well… :-)

* *

Scrumpy on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM

. . . you can get away with a quarter ton of water with stiffer springs and a half-ton braking capacity to begin with, but the handling is going to be for slops. I dunno about this waterbed idea. I mean, even with anti-roll bars, all you are going to do is slide around flat . . .

I wonder if you could cut a waterbed into the frame, drop it down where its level with the floor, between the braces, and . . . no, that ain’t gonna work either.

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:39 AM

A true “cabin cruiser”..:)

Dire Straits on January 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Only books I ever sold back were my first semester Econ books. They paid me one or two bucks each for them. At that point, I resolved that I would no longer sell books back, no matter how bad they were. They had more firewood value than that.

AZfederalist on January 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Nite, Scrumpy.

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Doesn’t matter. Executive Order…er Action.. ummm You know…I shoot all the time..At Fort David.

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Hi Kool! Get in the freakin’ van!!

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM

…I can be out on the water and hitting waves all day…but them there water beds in the van make me seasick…and I’m hurling chunks… when they turn the corners!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Scrumpy on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Goodnight. Spritely One! Sleep well. See you soon. :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

DarkCurrent on January 28, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on January 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM

So you have one of those assault dictionaries? You only really need one pound to spell “deer”

With that I’m out for the night. Goodnight all

AZfederalist on January 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Good night Chrissy and Tigger.

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

They had more firewood value than that.

AZfederalist on January 28, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Biggest scam ever. Profs made you buy their horrible authored books for a hundred bucks, then the bookstore would offer you five bucks on the buy-backs.

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

PS: I’ve done a lot of work in China and Chinese culture continues to dominate.

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 1:58 AM

“Chinese culture” is not monolithic. China has dozens of ethnic groups, numerous languages and quite a variety of religious traditions.

The Asian countries have certainly absorbed more of Western culture than the other way around, that’s an obvious fact. Would you say the West is closed off and culturally homogeneous because Western culture continues to dominate in the West?

DarkCurrent on January 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Good evening sir..:)

Dire Straits on January 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Good to see you..:)

Dire Straits on January 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Hi Dire, good to see you too.

DarkCurrent on January 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM

I’m getting kicked to the curb for Bluegill?

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 1:59 AM

What? On what planet?

I ain’t never been that drunk.

No, she’d just add . . . er, lessee . . . she’d add temperament to the frivolity, thus making it possible for me to get sleepy again. :)

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM

Nite, AZ

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 2:06 AM

DarkCurrent on January 28, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Asian isolationism has definitely been exaggerated, due mostly to the stories about Perry “opening up” Japan and Nixon “going to China.”

The Ancient Greeks had fairly extensive contact with the kingdoms of the Indian subcontinent and even set up one of their own, for instance.

The Chinese were always somewhat more isolated, but the Silk Road did make some cultural exchange with the West possible as early as the time of Zhang Qian’s expedition in the 100s BC. Steady trade continued for several centuries, abruptly dropping off around the 5th century or so with the crumbling of the Roman Empire.

Then there were the Mongol incursions into Europe and Asia Minor, as well as the Christian missions sent into the East (see all the stories about “Prester John,” for example). Then Marco Polo’s voyages, including his encounters with Kublai Khan (if you believe his accounts).

Starting with the “Age of Discovery,” the Dutch had an extensive presence in India, Indonesia, etc. The Spanish controlled the Philippines. The French in Vietnam and Indochina. Can’t forget about the British in India and their extensive contact with the Chinese. Christian missions were prominent in many places, most notably in India, the Philippines, and Japan.

When Perry opened up Japan in the 1850s, the country had only been closed off under sakoku for about 200 years. When Nixon “went to” China, the isolationism in question had existed mostly since the Communist revolution, but not prior.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM

AZfederalist on January 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Good night!

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Ah well… :-)

Scrumpy on January 28, 2013 at 1:55 AM

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 1:57 AM

I was going to say. :) You have a pulse Scrump. Get on it.

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Try a double axle in the rear… flat bed refitted with a custom made, reinforced welded box…leaf springs AND air shocks ? ( Shackling would cause too much splash over. )

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Dire…

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

AZfederalist on January 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Made me laugh! Goodnight, AZ. Sleep well. :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:09 AM

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

I love you!

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:10 AM

where’s bluegill?

omg

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

…no one said the word Pal_n…so you’re safe for now!
I almost sh!t my shorts down at the bottom of the lagoon when she showed up!…I thought panfish were surface fish!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:00 AM

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

ROTFLMAO… I’m guessing neither of you ever actually had a Van with a water bed in it… The mattresses were only about 3 inches thick and only weighed about 300 pounds. They were chambered so the water didn’t slosh around… ;p

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Yeah.

Yeah, but it’s still going to handle like a cow. :/ I don’t think there’s any way around it. It’s a nose squincher and a lemon frowner. Resist is just going to have to get used to the idea of “memory foam” or something.

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Maybe to the Western eye. What you refer to as “Asian cultures and traditions” are, like European cultures and traditions, by no means monolithic. The ethnic, political, and religious history of all four nations is exceedingly complex – probably more so than in most European nations.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:12 AM

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:08 AM

Now who’s being clinical? Hahaha lol.

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 2:12 AM

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM

What would happen to the water bed in the winter when it got below freezing?

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:12 AM

It must be admitted that the current situation is dangerous and unsustainable. It must also be admitted that we aren’t going to round up and deport 11 million illegals.

The total number of annual arrests from all levels of law enforcement in the USA is around 14 million. Those are full-time law enforcement officers (except in some rural areas). To arrest another 11 million people would require doubling the LEOs on the street for at least a year – then firing most of the new ones. Ain’t gonna happen, folks.

But without border enforcement, any sort of deal is just an invitation to more illegals. And perhaps most discouraging is to hear Schumer talking about “reuniting families” – the family-based policies of the last 45 years have not solved any immigration problems.

US limits on immigrants have never been realistic, for the last 125 years or more. But we should be letting in people with the skills we need (high and low end) and young enough to work and pay taxes a good long time. Immigration policy should not be social engineering: its sole goal should be to benefit the USA.

Adjoran on January 28, 2013 at 2:12 AM

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM

What would happen to the water bed in the winter when it got below freezing?

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Don’t know, I live in SoCal… ;p

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:10 AM

LOL! :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Gotta punch out. Sleep well my friends. Until tomorrow…(Actually later today)

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM

O! It didn’t even occur to me to have a special van waterbed. I was trying to get a proper waterbed in there. That’s basically a$5 air mattress with water in it.

Never mind. Carry on. :)

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Just got back from the Pal*n thread. No sign of The Gilled One in hours.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM

John the Libertarian on January 28, 2013 at 2:12 AM

LOL! Okay.. you got me there! Made me laugh! :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Great summation. Although I wouldn’t say the Chinese have always been somewhat isolated. They were certainly somewhat isolated from the West due to geography, but they’ve haven’t been isolated from their neighbors. They’ve been the cultural center of East Asia since antiquity and have profoundly influenced the cultures of surrounding nations.

DarkCurrent on January 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Also, the old policies that any family members allowed in were the financial responsibility of their related sponsor for five years, during which the new immigrants were ineligible for public assistance in any form, should be reinstated.

No one should be able to enter legally and go on any form of welfare. PERIOD, no state exceptions allowed if the state accepts federal welfare benefits. Up yours, California!

Adjoran on January 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Goodnight, Ken. Sleep well, my friend. :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM

DarkCurrent on January 28, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Yes, they do, but the country also has traditional Chinese customs and are much more wedded to them than the West. For example, “saving face” has always been an important part of both Chinese and Japanese cultures. Honour still means something.

Sure, they eat McDonald’s and wear Western clothes now, but how many teenagers in the West commit suicide if they fail to meet certain expected academic standards? How many businessmen kill themselves or retire from public life if they cause harm to their companies?

No, because multi-kulti is a big presence, especially in Europe. When a minority of Muslims can force KFC to only serve halal meet in the UK against the wishes of a majority of its customers, including other Muslims, I would say that one could hardly call the West closed off and culturally homogenous.

Now, when PETA gets Chinese restaurants to cease serving Three Screams Soup, then maybe I’ll start believing the Asian culture is no longer dominant and has knelt to multi-kulti.

So, I maintain my point and suggest that you read my links on immigration in the UK if you want to understand why the subject even arose.

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Am I the only one that checks to see who says “good night” after I sign off? C’mon, some of you guys do!!

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM

No one will be able to read the bill…

… there will be a ‘crisis‘, like always.

Adios…!

Seven Percent Solution on January 28, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM

LOL! Okay… you tell her. :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:19 AM

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Never mind. Carry on. :)

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM

ROTFLMAO… Back in the 70′s it was THE way to spend your summer nights at the beach… Park down at <a href="View Larger Map“>Fiesta Island on the beach build a nice bonfire and….. Well….. You know…. ;)

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Just got back from the Pal*n thread. No sign of The Gilled One in hours.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM

…why did she even go down there?…that’s what I don’t understand!

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM

DarkCurrent on January 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Right. I meant the Chinese were somewhat more isolated from the West due to geography (Himalayas, etc.), but they did have lots of contact with the kingdoms of Japan, Korea, India, southeast Asia, etc., and the tribes of the Eurasian steppes. I guess what I was getting at was that early Western contact with the Chinese occurred more through intermediaries than did contact with, for example, the peoples of the subcontinent.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:21 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM

LOL! You got ‘em. :) I’ve laughed so hard I had to wipe my eyes! :)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:21 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Heh heh heh, always… ;)

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:12 AM

Yet, when I used to go to Beijing on business frequently, I knew that I was in China. I can bring you to places in London where you would think that you were in a Muslim country with morality police.

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Nite, KCB. And yes, I do.

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Night KCB! :)

PS: I invented “poof” to make it possible to leave abruptly and keep people from feeling like they needed to say goodnight if they didn’t want to. True story. But you are the ONLY person who checks, and you should feel embarrassed. :)

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:23 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Night KCB! :)

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Bah… you only invented Poofing cause yer a poofer… ;p

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:24 AM

No one will be able to read the bill…

… there will be a ‘crisis‘, like always.

Adios…!

Sure. ;)

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:26 AM

He only inve4nted poofing so he would have an excuse for poofing in public… ;p

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Never mind. Carry on. :)

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:15 AM

But, somehow, you thought it would be practical to drive a pickup truck around fill with water?

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Would you say that’s mostly a province of increased Muslim immigration to Europe in the past few decades? What about Poles or Czechs? They don’t really ghetto-ize to the same extent, do they?

There’s not really an easy analogy to Muslim immigration in Asian nations, since migration in that case has mostly come from places like India or the Philippines to places like Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

Now, I suspect that South/Southeast Asian immigrants make their presence felt a lot less in Riyadh or Dubai than Muslims do in London, Birmingham, Paris, Frankfurt, etc.

Point being, Muslims don’t tend to assimilate to the same extent as immigrants from other cultures and force immigrants from other cultures to assimilate more.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Darn, I’m hungry. Gotta eat. No, I’m not going to eat any illegal aliens. I was talking about food. :-)

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 2:29 AM

ROTFLMAO… Back in the 70′s it was THE way to spend your summer nights at the beach… Park down at Fiesta Island on the beach build a nice bonfire and….. Well….. You know…. ;)

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Here it’s always been tailgate, lake, bonfire, and “you know.” :)

So I guess what we have here is +car, +some fire, +some water, and +some you know. Those are the ingredients. I need to be putting this in the book . . .

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:30 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Night KCB! :)

…no…I just come…and I just go…abruptly!
I make a comment and leave…and notice the next day that some have answered to it…then I feel rude and guilty!
Night KCB (:->)

KOOLAID2 on January 28, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Why Worry – Dire Straits

I leave you with this… :)

I bid you all a fond goodnight. It’s been a pleasure, as always. See you soon.

thatsafactjack on January 28, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I guess you never visited Xinjiang then?

Even large cities in the east of China vary considerably in local culture. Compare Beijing and Shanghai for example. Different local languages, different local cuisine, different local attitudes and temperaments.

DarkCurrent on January 28, 2013 at 2:32 AM

KCB on January 28, 2013 at 2:17 AM

I never say good night cause I don’t want Bishop to know when I’m sleeping or where I’m sleeping. Bad things happen at night when he is around. Plus KCB you have a good share of Bishops so i’d be careful.

SparkPlug on January 28, 2013 at 2:33 AM

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 2:29 AM

The fact that you thought anyone would believe you were talking about consuming illegal aliens makes me wonder if Spark’s contagious again.

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Nite, Jackie

tommy71 on January 28, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Resist We Much on January 28, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Water beds in vans during the 70s and 80s and the attendant decline in fuel efficiency were probably responsible for upwards of 20% of the global warming in those decades.

steebo77 on January 28, 2013 at 2:33 AM

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM

Here it’s always been tailgate, lake, bonfire, and “you know.” :)

Axe on January 28, 2013 at 2:30 AM

Do lakes produce really thick fog? Cause sleeping in the back of ones truck on the beach can leave you drench by morning from the fog rolling in… o_O

SWalker on January 28, 2013 at 2:34 AM