Our evolving personalities (and politics)

posted at 12:31 pm on January 27, 2013 by Jazz Shaw

One of the common maxims I’ve been hearing all my life is that people tend to be liberal when they are younger, but grow more conservative as they get older, have to work, pay taxes and prepare for retirement. I’ve said it myself more times than I can count, and I’ve found it to be largely true, at least through personal observation. But I also see claims going in the opposite direction.

It applies to more than politics, though. Movies, books, music… possibly even food. Do our tastes really change all that much as we age? And more to the point, do we ever really “stabilize” at some point in middle age or do we keep on evolving for our entire lives? There’s a pretty good article this weekend in the LA Times about studies done on this subject by Harvard psychologist Daniel Gilbert.

According to his own research, Gilbert is hardly alone in having imagined that he’d always like the same music, or hobbies or friends…

Calling it the “end of history illusion,” he and his colleagues suggested that the phenomenon may help explain why people make decisions they later regret: marrying the wrong person or buying an expensive vacation home.

“We recognize it in teenagers,” Gilbert said. “We say to them, ‘You’re not going to like that Megadeth tattoo in 10 years.’ But no matter how old you are, you’re making the same mistake.”

It’s easy to point to kids in their teens or early twenties and sagely nod our heads, thinking, “you’ll get it when you’re older.” But do we ever get to the point where “the cake is baked,” as Gilbert put it? He tried to test it scientifically.

Recruiting viewers of a popular French documentary hosted by study coauthor Jordi Quoidbach, a postdoctoral researcher in Gilbert’s lab, the scientists assigned some to answer questions designed to arrive at core aspects of their identity and to predict how those responses might differ 10 years in the future. Among other things, subjects were asked to list their favorite foods or hobbies, rank values such as success and security, or answer a standard questionnaire designed to home in on personality traits like conscientiousness and emotional stability.

Other volunteers were asked to consider the same traits, but report how they had changed in the past decade.

Pairing up future-focused predictors and backward-looking reporters — such that the predictions of 25-year-olds were compared to the recollections of 35-year-olds, for instance — the researchers found that people consistently acknowledged they had changed a lot in the past but underestimated how much they would change in the future. The results held true for each decade of life between ages 18 and 68.

I’m trying to understand if it’s even possible for people to keep changing over the entire span of their lives, and if that applies to all aspects of our preferences and personalities, or only some things. And is the change only in one direction, at least in areas where a “direction” can be inferred? Going back to politics for a moment, even if you were shifting over time from a liberal perspective to a more conservative one – or vice versa – there’s only so far you can go, right? Or do some people zig and zag from liberal to conservative back to liberal again?

On other things, Gilbert found similar results. In the field of music, he notes that he once thought he’d be listening to Miles Davis until he died, but today he doesn’t listen to much music. As for me, I still listen to pretty much the same stuff I did during my formative years – and for the most part, the same bands and songs. I never really shifted. It doesn’t feel like my tastes in food have changed much either, though I’ve added some new options to the menu.

Am I just blocking things out… whitewashing my past to make it seem as if I’m more consistent? How have those of you who’ve seen more than a few winters come and go observed yourself changing? Or not changing, I suppose. (And no, we don’t need to hear from you whippersnappers in your teens and early twenties on this one. We already know that you know everything and are smarter than everyone else. I know I was at your age. Pfffffft)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We come into this world much the same way we leave. Everything in between is just fodder.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Or not.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM

…THERE ARE A LOT OF 4 YEAR OLDS IN THIS COUNTRY?

KOOLAID2 on January 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

What’s next on Hotair – comparing Adult Diaper brands?

HEY! DID YOU GUYS AND GALS KNOW THAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH HAS SUDDENLY DECIDED THAT A FETUS IS NOT A HUMAN LIFE?

YUP. ONE OF THEIR HOSPITALS IN THEIR CHAIN OF 170 HEALTH CARE FACILITIES IN 17 STATES WITH NATIONAL ASSETS TOTALING AROUND $15 BILLION IS BEING SUED FOR MEDICAL MALPRACTICE SO NOW A FETUS IS NOT A HUMAN LIFE.

Just thought I’d throw that out there this fine Sunday morning.

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM

hey look! It’s Little Big Man!

rayra on January 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Just thought I’d throw that out there this fine Sunday morning.

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Liar, this is not just a thought you decided to throw out on a Sunday, you have been trolling with this line all damned wek.

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM

This is my sixtieth year. I have always been a conservative and I have consistently despised any movie or music that willfully zeroed in on my emotions. That’s not to say I can’t be emotional about music. If people were to ask me about a favorite color or food I believe that they would get the deer in the headlights stare. I would say that the biggest difference in me now and my youth is that I am a lot more forgiving of those who don’t think as I do. Until I can walk in someone else’s shoes, I’m not qualified to discount their beliefs. No matter how wrong they are.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM

“As you get older, you get less willing to buy the latest version of reality.” Leonard Cohen

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Say, what is your favorite color?

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Lowered Expectations.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 12:54 PM

@@
^^^

Best I could come up with.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM

What’s next on Hotair – comparing Adult Diaper brands? SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM

We’ve talked about everything under the shining sun here, send you tips to the host.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Lol! Sorry, wrong thread. Must close some of these confounded tabs.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Jazz, in actuality, ‘Change is always constant’. Except it, be empowered by it.

tommy71 on January 27, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Food for Thought!

I like this topic Jazz!

Coming from the UK, my political views changed somewhat, I was young when Maggie Thatcher was PM, I didn’t fully comprehend what she was about and became a ‘sheeple’ many brits esp the unionized ones hated her, I didn’t know better. It wasn’t until much older as I studied her, I realised who she was and what she stood for.

Churchill to me was a hero, as was JFK, I was a child when he was assassinated, but I cried, I grasped that a good man had been killed.

I have pretty much been of a conservative/ libertarian thought since my 30′s. I came to the US in the latter part of 1990…I honestly couldn’t tell you much about politics here back then.

I lived in Europe for a goodly time, leaving the UK when I was 22, lived in Germany primarily before coming here, and drifted back and forth between the UK Germany and the US. (Spouse was military).

It wasn’t until I came here that I began to grasp liberalism, I studied it, and what is now considered liberalism, isn’t to me any longer… had it now become infected with progressives, I could very well have been a liberal in the old sense.

I have always thought myself to be a thinker, knowing right from wrong etc etc, have christian values, do not care for organized religion…it has been long perverted in my mind.

I love food and my tastes haven’t changed much! Any food from any culture, and I will eat it (bugs) aside tho…lol…

My musical taste was hard rock as a teen and still is, I was influenced by Black Sabbath Pink Floyd Cream Queen etc etc… I have expanded since tho but still continue in that vein, to include now classic rock, hard rock, southern rock, new wave, country, blues to Opera and classical music, and music from other countries.

Todays political scene has become fraught with such polarization and division, I do not recognize it.

The rules have changed and shifted, and I don’t see a good outcome for America, not at this time.

Personally, I think I have grown, but I never cease to learn, tho still niave at times… :-)

Life isn’t always fair, had my fair share of knock downs, always got back up!

I am an avid reader, mostly of Philosophy, History, American founders, I do enjoy historical novels, dramatic novels, and Dean Koontz is one of my fav authors! I read books from an early age, I have not lost the liking to curl up with a good book, tho I use a kindle these days.

If I could give the younger generation a tip, it would be this: Do not take anything for granted, work hard, save hard, be honest, have integrity, and please do not think you are invincible! By the time you hit 45 or so, if you did all the the things your Mother told you not to do, it will come back to bite you in the butt!!

Scrumpy on January 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I used to be a sports fanatic but now, not so much. I would say that I have become more conservative because of the stupid mistakes I’ve made and have seen others make.

One sign of immaturity

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Is trying to hijack a thread.

Vince on January 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Yeah. Well – the story broke just two days ago and I have referenced it here twice since yesterday. One day. Maybe 3x over 2 days but I’m not certain. Why don’t you get on that and check and verify then get back to us, mmmmkay?

In the meantime, your exaggeration is understandable. Exaggeration of a perceived threat – it’s one of many side effects of fear.

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Best I could come up with.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM

You’re doing better than me. I can’t even keep my tabs straight. My favorite color. Black.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM

hey look! It’s Little Big Man!

rayra on January 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Pot?

Kettle?

You choose.

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 1:03 PM

As the decades have slid past my eyes have opened to things that I did not see in my youth. Though as a Military brat growing up I have always been of a conservative bent, the reasons for that inclination have become more mine own and less of my early environment.

I can still recall the excitement of my first Presidential election, campaigning on behalf of Ronald Reagan was an electrifying experience. Those who have read more than just the most recent of the articles I have written over at my blog (the link is in my Nic) can see how I have become more cynical as the years go by. Tragically, understanding has come late in my life as to what we are up against, I have not given up, but I have become quiet cynical.

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I am a Cohen fan :-) Great line !

So it would seem I am the only putz (not counting Cindy) to have actually thought this was gonna be a fun thread?

Oh well, so much for thought, I thunked it.. ;-)

Scrumpy on January 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:52 PM

But that’s a developmental change. You acquired the knowledge of experiences and now you can apply it. Which brings up an interesting, if completely dull, point.

Any changes we undergo aren’t arbitrary. Stress has acted on the system, and it’s deformed it; considering it’s a living system and it’s reactions to the stresses aren’t trivial, defining that deformation isn’t going to be trivial either, and “change” will probably have to do. Anyway, this:

– You might need to identify 1. the person, and 2. the storm they are standing in — to be able to answer it.

*yawn*

Well, that was pointless. I apologize to anyone that read it.

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

had it now become infected = had it NOT become infected…

Scrumpy on January 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

W@hat… you didn’t poof in… you yawning poofer… ;)

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I still listen to pretty much the same stuff I did during my formative year

People get stuck.

John the Libertarian on January 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

At one time it was red.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Scrumpy on January 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I think there are a few of us Cohenphiles on Hot Air. Great minds and all that…. ;)

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM

trying to hijack a thread.

Vince on January 27, 2013 at 1:01 PM

The heck I say.

You think the Catholic Church and their teachings, edicts, and proclamations has no bearing whatsoever on the entire world this Nation’s peoples ‘evolving’ throughout their lives and how they perceive their world – and how they react to it?

I guess only Islam has that effect on the world this Nation, eh?

You really ought to bone up on your social science before you go spouting off, pal.

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Well, that was pointless. I apologize to anyone that read it.

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

No apology required. I read a lot of pointless stuff here and there.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

This is true in many ways. As a younger man I liked Deep Purple more than Hendrix, now I enjoy Hendrix more than Deep Purple.

I also like scotch way more than beer these days, though that might have something to do with being able to actually afford scotch; in the old days it was all I could do to find the cabbage for a case of PBR or Strohs.

Bishop on January 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

W@hat… you didn’t poof in… you yawning poofer… ;)

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Almost went to your blog to find a headline to link after reading your post. :) Wait, here:

Welcome to the Stout Hemp Rope Party

Heh. Yeah, yeah you might be getting a wee bit cynical. :)

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Interesting if sometimes cryptic feedback. Thanks!

J

Jazz Shaw on January 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Not at all. Has stress deformed it? I’m sure it has been part of the change but I don’t know if deform is the word I would use because it makes the change sound wrong.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Bishop on January 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Depends, which Scotch?

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Interesting if sometimes cryptic feedback. Thanks!

J

Jazz Shaw on January 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Cryptic feedback is best digested with a fine Stout ale in hand… ;)

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Interesting if sometimes cryptic feedback. Thanks!

J

Jazz Shaw on January 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM

; )

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Heh. Yeah, yeah you might be getting a wee bit cynical. :)

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Is it really that Obvious? O_O

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I’m not saying your subject isn’t interesting, only that you shouldn’t discount other subjects. The move you mention sounds like a legal ploy that will either have to be changed or it will come back to bite church in the butt.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM

There once was a day in this land when you could freely walk into pretty much any church. The doors were never locked. Now at some urban churches, not only are the doors kept locked, but there are armed guards.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Rural too.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Locked that is.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Perhaps a wee bit of music ? Wind Up.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:25 PM

@Jazz, you know, thinking about it, change is always in one direction. Even someone who seems to have “changed-back” or something — maybe another way to look at that is that they looped — but they are still moving “forward.” There’s no reverse — they just turned around.

The liberal became conservative when new experience showed them conservatism was closer to the truth. More information showed them that liberalism was closer to the truth (for supporting your zig-zag). We wouldn’t expect that, since liberalism is ridiculous and intellectually unsupportable, but people don’t act on truth, they act on what they believe to be true (there is such a thing as a mistake, or a lie).

Is there a bias in life that moves people toward the truth, whatever it might be?

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Rural too.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:21 PM

And I would venture to guess that they are done for completely different reasons.

VegasRick on January 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Bishop on January 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Depends, which Scotch?

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:17 PM

You mean there’s more than one? Glenlivet…

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Or perhaps this demonstrates the point better. Requiem. Mind you its the beginning of the end.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Sorry. You are right. :) It’s a throw-around word in physics without any negative connotations, but this ain’t a blackboard and SWalker isn’t about to start in on Quantum Gravity. Again.

A lot of who we become has to come from outside. Or maybe it just uncovers who we are?

Blame Jazz for all the unanswered questions. His topic. :)

The man muses.

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

He may enjoy the price point of a good blend. Pinch.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:34 PM

VegasRick on January 27, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Most assuredly. Still…………

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Both, All, Neither. Perception/Reality.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Requiem. Mind you its the beginning of the end.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Nice. :) I see what you did there.

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Blame Jazz for all the unanswered questions. His topic. :)

The man muses.

Axe on January 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Are you trying to suggest that my theories on Quantum Gravity suck?

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Raise you a secret garden.

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:29 PM

He may enjoy the price point of a good blend. Pinch.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Whiskey get’s blended, Scotch should never be blended… o_O

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Are you trying to suggest that my theories on Quantum Gravity suck?

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM

No, no, no, no, no. They blow.

VegasRick on January 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Lovely.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I’d guess you’re about 16?

sauldalinsky on January 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Are you trying to suggest that my theories on Quantum Gravity suck?

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM

No, no, no, no, no. They blow.

VegasRick on January 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM

ROTFLMAO…. The irony of Quantum Gravity… Is that it does indeed “Blow”… lol lol …

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Good point. Tis for the one to consume I guess. No accounting for taste. ; )

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Death.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. Perfect for a snowy Sunday.

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Glad you enjoyed it. Perfect for a snowy Sunday.

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Some get snow while some get rain, some drink Scotch to feel no pain… o_O

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I am mostly a staunch conservative with a small side order of moderation. That is due to the upbringing of my staunchly conservative father and his entire staunchly conservative side of the family starting from my Day One when he was just 18 years old. My Mother, who was also 18 when I was born, has always been a Democrat but she was always a moderate as was most of her side of the family.

In about 1997 when Slick Willy was up for reelection – at about age 55 – my father suddenly decided he wanted to be a Liberal Democrat. So, he became one. Then my Mom moved into the Liberal column of the Democrat ilk too. Just like that. Almost overnight. From staunch conservative and moderate Democrat to both becoming hardcore die hard liberals practically overnight.

They even donate regularly to Priorities USA and American Bridge 21st Century.

This has left me greatly confused and has deeply confounded me. It has left me feeling a little bit saddened – and above all – feeling betrayed. They taught me. They trained me. They led me down the path. Now, in the political sense, they have abandoned practically all of the guiding principals they spent my entire pre and early adult life instilling in me.

We can’t even talk politics anymore. Not even a little. They get too angry.

I haven’t changed all that much. Now I fear I’m going to lose my marbles and turn into a simpering pile of gelatinous goo all too ready to have a cradle-to-grave fascist Government – just like they did – in a few years.

I’m scared.

Hold me.

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Or even a warm summers eve.;)

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

True to ones self. The road less traveled.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Ha, summers eve.

Rusty Allen on January 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Jazz, thank you very much for this thread. I’m just not sure this format is conducive to deeper thought. In a nutshell does not always work. Thanks!

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Rusty Allen on January 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM

How is it I knew someone would think that? Again, Perception/Reality. ; )

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

My favorite color was blonde. Now I like brunettes and blondes and red heads.

SparkPlug on January 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I think it depends on both the individual and the environment.

Some people are more easily influenced by groups of people at different times in their lives.

My Dad who turns 80 at the end of the month,voted republican most of his life, moved from Texas to Colorado 25 years ago…and has become more liberal/libertarian in his philosophy.

I was more liberal when I was younger out of college in the North East…and when I returned to Texas to raise my daughter & have a business, I grew more conservative.

Today…as I see the death spiral of the culture because many Americans seem to want to become Europeans, I can only shake my head.

When has Europe ever had solutions that would work in America?

The answer is NEVER.

workingclass artist on January 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

My favorite color was blonde. Now I like brunettes and blondes and red heads.

SparkPlug on January 27, 2013 at 1:58 PM

i think I am color blind, I like them all, except for the red heads, they skeers me… O_O

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Sorry, can’t help it.

Rusty Allen on January 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Requiem, death…..here’s the most depressing movie ever; maybe this should be required viewing for our politicians….you can’t save the world, so quit looting our treasury & taxing us to death!

Belle on January 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM

When has Europe ever had solutions that would work in America?

The answer is NEVER.

workingclass artist on January 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

When has Europe ever had solutions that would work anywhere?

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Hold me.

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Dang, I’d like to. That’s just weird. It’s to bad they can’t explain the change to you. Funny that it was Slick Willie, he was the one that finally got my aunt to vote Republican.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Modern day Mozart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYG1uYnEznY

In The Mood For Love Soundtrack – Shigeru Umebayashi – Yumeji’s Theme

Highly recommend the three movie trilogy by Wong Kar Wai:

Days of Being Wild
In the Mood For Love
2046

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

When I was young, I was a liberal. Being a sciencey type, I thought it would be great if society respected the intelligent more. As I grew older, I learned that there is more than one type of intelligence, and that the intelligent often have a difficult time gaining real wisdom.

More and more throughout my teenage years, I realized that people just need to be free to make their own mistakes and learn their own lessons. That’s when I became a libertarian. A decade later, I still hold those beliefs, but I’ve softened about how to bring it about. I imagine in future decades, I’ll grow even less confrontational, while still holding the same philosophy which has only grown more refined over my politically conscious years.

I hope someday to have the rhetorical skill to teach the philosophy of liberty without revealing my purpose. I think that’s the key to having an impact on those who don’t want to admit they have something still to learn.

TBSchemer on January 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

One thing I’ve learned is to never judge a magazine by the hottie on the cover. Some times there are even better pictures inside.

SparkPlug on January 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM

When has Europe ever had solutions that would work in America?

The answer is NEVER.

workingclass artist on January 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

When has Europe ever had solutions that would work anywhere?

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Well I think there were some good developments after the Fall Of Rome.

The problem is the aristocratic system…The Europeans are subjects with a subject mentality.

America is a nation formed to break that.

That many in this country would even entertain a subject mentality is one result of historical revisionism taught in the schools at every level & published by a subject press acting as a political propaganda tool.

Bread & Circuses

workingclass artist on January 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

It’s a dog-eat-dog world most of the time. But it becomes and a man-eat-dog world when you elect Obama.

SparkPlug on January 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

It’s not the format; it’s whether or not those who participate take the matter seriously.
The great tragedy of Internet dialogs is that they seldom are used constructively. More often than not they are merely another vehicle for entertainment.

Cleombrotus on January 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM

It was like Invasion of the Body Snatchers at first. We thought our Mother and Father had been replaced by pod people. It was truly scary. My sister even posited hiring a P.I. to see if they had been recruited by some sort of Sect or joined Scientology or something along those lines. I truly love my sister and all my siblings but I think she was more devastated than all of us put together.

But as it turns out – they just abruptly changed like a switch was flipped.

In our family, on both sides, we’ve always revered our parents and our elders. It is a very important part of the entire family caste that was brought over from the ‘Old World’ on both sides and sustained for generations since. Bizzaro World got a lot more bizarro in the last few years run up to midnight 1999. It was almost enough to convince us that the world really was going to end at 00:00:01, 2000AD.

I’m in Southern California if you still want to hold me too, btw ;P

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM

SD Tom on January 27, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Legal and spiritual are separate items. You can say that a fetus is a human life in your spiritual life, but in the legal world the government has not deemed it as such.

I would totally love it if the government decided to make that argument. It would end ALL abortions, even rape and incest and for the most part health of the mother. The only time an abortion would end up happening is if it was certain both would die without it.

So, go ahead, mount that attack! I will support you 100%.

astonerii on January 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I’d guess you’re about 16?

sauldalinsky on January 27, 2013 at 1:43 PM

My hubby and I have known each other since we were both 16. He has always been a staunch conservative, even back then. I, on the other hand, was briefly infected with that special brand of Liberalism called Feminism in the 70s and early 80s.

I look back on that period of my life now and put it squarely in the Young and Stupid category. I find myself reflecting on it occasionally and wondering why I allowed myself to fall for such fuzzy and misguided thinking. It is not as if I did not have good examples in my parents, and aunts and uncles, who were kind, devout, hard-working people who made a good life for themselves despite starting out poor and who in some cases didn’t stay to graduate high school.

Over the years, I have not only become more conservative, but according to my hubby, almost arch-conservative. Of the two of us, my hubby is the one who is more willing to consider a moderate viewpoint than I am, even as he still holds to his own conservatism. Maybe it’s an overreaction on my part, but I don’t think so. It is much clearer to me now how totally wrong the progressive mindset is in general and for America in particular, and in my mind, it needs to be categorically rejected. I fell for it once, perhaps in the way that most people do, by being attracted to the shiny, emotion-laden siren song that it was, that it was the proper way to go and that it was my upbringing that was all a lie and should be rejected.

On the other hand, my musical tastes have expanded beyond anything I once listened to in my youth, which was primarily pop and rock. For me, I can’t possibly pick one favorite song or group — there are too many to choose from. Now I listen to everything from alternative to zydeco depending on what I am in the mood for. And one of the great sources of new music I’ve not heard before is right here on HotAir, so those of you who post YouTube music clips — keep it up! :)

PatriotGal2257 on January 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I’m NEVER going to stop loving Janis Joplin….have I stagnated???

E9RET on January 27, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Cleombrotus on January 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I suppose. Just seems like a difficult format to, without fitting a large mass into a small container, actually take up the serious amount of information one develops after years of life experience. I.E. A very broad topic without narrow minded inconclusive smaller parts of the whole.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 3:23 PM

My impression is that there are many Hot Air participants that might have some worthwhile contributions to such a topic.

Why not let it develop and see what happens.

Cleombrotus on January 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Let me try again with this brief stippit. Not based on volumes of written philosophy or theological study, but just a personal experience and anecdote. Back in the 70′s, not sure exactly of the date, I found myself at a club I frequented quite a bit back then, CBGB’s. Not precisely sure of the evenings featured entertainment, may have been the Heads, and a couple of other upstarts. Just as well may not have been. No matter. I came upon the occasion to have a squirt. Leaving the floor headed off tho the restroom. Back then or at least at this time the restrooms at this venue were not what one might consider top drawer. There were a couple of urinals attached to the wall of plywood which had been covered in a sprawl of graffiti. Whilst standing there having a squirt in my less than sober state, I noticed a saying that had been written upon the wall in some odd color of magic marker. I won’t reveal to you what it said except to say it was at that precise moment that I had an epiphany. Please no laughter, twas not a pun. I had an overwhelming realization about life that completely uprooted all my prior convictions. Not that I had formed many at that point, I hadn’t. It was dare I say a warm rush throughout my entire being. Again no laughter please, no pun intended. That was pretty much it. A life changing experience I never saw coming. To powerful to deny and discard. From that evening forward I felt compelled to study out this new understanding of not only myself, but the world around me. It ultimately led to my happiness. My current state of enlightenment. Or there lack of.

How was that Cleombrotus? Personal yet not overly so. Not as dry as all the books I have consumed since. Just a small window into the road I have traveled. Serious but not overly done I think. Well at any rate its a start. Jazz, what say you? Is that the kind of non cryptic reflection of thought you were looking for? Frankly, I enjoy the bits and pieces approach where the readers mind must act to fill in the blanks left by the hints and not so complete telling.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Why not let it develop and see what happens.

Cleombrotus on January 27, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I did not seek to hold any one back from doing so. Matter of fact upon a reveiw of the time stamps I was gone for a good bit. I would love to have all of our HA commenters partake in a meaningful discussion of how what and why they formed into what they have eventually formed into. I stand in no ones path to enlightenment. By all means have at it. Why not let it develop and see what happens.

Cleombrotus, any parts to your story of life, I would enjoy hearing I’m sure. ; )

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM

All contributions welcomed! Please, by all means have at it. I yield the floor.

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

stippit=snippit

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 3:51 PM

And the mad rush to comment is on. Go!

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM

And the mad rush to comment is on. Go!

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Meh… I think the regular HotAir crowd is hung over today and not much in a state of mind for posting, let alone thinking deep thoughts… (just my own suspicions here) o_O

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM

SWalker on January 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Patience is a virtue. Think I read that somewhere once. ; )

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM

TBSchemer on January 27, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Something that I too would love to accomplish. As it is I’m more like the proverbial bull in a china shop. ; )

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM

You’re not going to believe this Bmore, but the song “Life During Wartime” was going thru my head right about the time you were posting.

As to the topic: I still have a lot of growing to do, a lot of changes to make, I see a lot wrong with me that needs correcting. But that insight, far from being discouraging is encouraging because I have a sight as to where I’m headed – where I’m supposed to be; who I’m supposed to be, and how far I’ve come.

It seems to me that it’s difficult to assess whether the changes that happen to us or that we cause to happen are good or bad if one doesn’t have a sight of what they are supposed to be, where they’re supposed to be going.

I get the impression that for most people it’s a guess and for the young today, in particular, there are no longer any moral guideposts, just cultural markers and those are plastic and always changing these days.

I’m glad I was born when I was (1951) while there was still a consensus as to what was right and what was wrong. And I’m glad I met people along the way who took it upon themselves to point me in the Right direction. I can’t imagine life at my age if I didn’t have this assurance.

Cleombrotus on January 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

PatriotGal2257 on January 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Love Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys! Used to go to Knights of Columbus every Thursday evening . We would all dance change partners, dance some more. Good times! Great Jambalaya too!

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I find it appalling that a Harvard (no less!) psychologist premises his world view that there is a time in peoples’ lives where they stop learning. Then he not only tests that idea, but is amazed to find that it isn’t true.

What kind of self-indulgent, self-limiting idiot can even conceive such a notion? Good Lord, all of my (60+) life I have maintained that “’tis a rare day that I don’t learn something.”

Dear Professor Gilbert – my cake will NEVER be baked; I will go to the grave with it still in the oven.

Sheesh! There is much stupid at ivy league levels.

ss396 on January 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

As an RN I can tell you that it is excepted that people develop and pass through stages their whole life the main stages taught in nursing are Erikson’s stages which go from birth to death.

I think the explanation for the transformation from progressive to conservative is true and natural when you look at the definition of the two. Progressive means taking new ideas and throwing out old ones. This appeals to the young because it means thought is more important than experience and thus previous experience then can be discounted. If you are young and told their is no new ideas and that you are just to follow something like religious dogma where you don’t get to participate in creating it you rebel. Later as we are unburdened by youthful rebellion and come to embrace past wisdom that we now have from our own lives and we end up rediscovering we see that life didn’t have to be filled with mistakes if we would have accepted the previous generations of wisdom or “conserved” the wisdom already gained. We become skeptical that someone telling us they know better really does since he/she is assuming that humans have changed to be something that requires something new. So Jazz in conclusion the fact we get more conservative as we age is actually from our movement from a person with few experiences and one with more that moves us politically from left to right.

Conan on January 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM