Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on January 27, 2013 by Allahpundit

The hallmark of Sunday morning political programming is redundancy, but not today. Looks like each of the big four is going in a different direction — NBC will talk budgets, Fox will cover women in combat, ABC will do immigration, and CBS will handle gun control. Expect Paul Ryan to elaborate on the idea that sometimes “prudence” is the best way to thwart Obama. He’ll also discuss the future of the GOP, which, if Gregory’s doing his job, will require a rebuttal to Bobby Jindal’s point on Thursday night that spreadsheets and powerpoints about federal spending are a losing message. If you’re not up for that, you’ve got McCain on “This Week” making the evergreen case for amnesty and Dianne Feinstein on “Face the Nation” bravely trying to explain how her assault-weapons ban won’t end up in the Senate’s trash bin the moment she brings it to the floor.

The line-up via National Journal:

Meet the Press hosts Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wisc., Heritage President Jim DeMint and NAACP CEO Ben Jealous

Face the Nation hosts NYC Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, Sen. Diane Feinstein, D-Calif., former Speaker Newt Gingrich and Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn.

This Week hosts Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., Sen. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., and Rep. David Schweikert, R-Ariz.

Fox News Sunday hosts former Congressional candidate and first female combat pilot Martha McSally, ret. Lt. Gen. Jerry Boykin, Sen. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., and Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin

State of the Union hosts ret. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, former CIA Director Michael Hayden, Saratoga Springs Mayor Mia Love, Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Love Gov. Palin. If she decides not to run in 2016, hope she backs Senator Paul.

Panther on January 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

bw222 on January 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I’ll say, if Rote speaking can make you a millionaire there has to be a lot of room on the airwaves for some of us. Sort of a stupid human trick gone large. I should be ashamed, I am sure Mr. Hannity is a lovely person and I do not begrudge him his success. I just wish he wasn’t considered a spokesperson for me.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Biden was driving me crazy the whole time.

bluegill on January 27, 2013 at 10:36 AM

That wasn’t a drive, it was a putt.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Gets my nomination for thread winner. :)

22044 on January 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM

22044, or this. ; )

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

As long as we allow the media and GOP establishment to tell us who our nominees must be, we can expect to lose. I’m not interested in losing. America’s next generation can’t afford another loss.

PappyD61 on January 27, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Bet Fishface will find something to criticize.

bw222 on January 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

22044, or this. ; )

Bmore on January 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Hi Bmore

That’s not bad either! :)

22044 on January 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM

Panther on January 27, 2013 at 11:12 AM

You know what is good (and smart) about Sen. Paul? He would welcome her endorsement.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

The problem with the GOP leadership is its goal is just to maintain leadership, not to win. It’s kind of like wanting to be the coach of the Detroit Lions for life.

bw222 on January 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM

…Matt Millen still here!

KOOLAID2 on January 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I wish you were joking but I don’t.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

I’m not joking about that, Cynthia. To use a baseball metaphor, it’s on deck. Pedos are already trying to tell us they are ‘genetically’ incapable of controlling themselves.

I expect, because liberals are what they are, the age of consent to soon be lowered to twelve. After that, liberals will ask, “Why not age seven?”

Liberals, not ever, are satisfied.

Liam on January 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Sean Hannity has a great hairline.. This is why he has a show on Fox News.

Illinidiva on January 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

‘We Haven’t Yet Begun to Fight!’ – Sarah Palin 1/26/2012

Mr. Arrogant on January 27, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Sean Hannity has a great hairline.. This is why he has a show on Fox News.

Illinidiva on January 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

he’s also a shill for gope.

renalin on January 27, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Ted Torgerson on January 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Our next minority voting block. I may just go postal.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

McCain just needs to fade away before he effs something else up……

ultracon on January 27, 2013 at 11:33 AM

There is only one thing wrong with liberals: Everything.

Liam on January 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Another original quote by Palin “We’ve not yet begun to fight.” yawn. :)

scalleywag on January 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Another original quote by Palin “We’ve not yet begun to fight.” yawn. :)

scalleywag on January 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

And us Taryton smokers would rather fight than quit.

What’s you point?

Liam on January 27, 2013 at 11:39 AM

scalleywag on January 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

There is nothing wrong with quoting Patrick Henry. Have you never used a Founder’s words to make a point or is it something only people you approve of can do?

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM

LOL, I meant John Paul Jones, sorry.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Sean Hannity has a great hairline.. This is why he has a show on Fox News.

Illinidiva on January 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Let’s not be so hard on Hannity. Don’t forget he at least had this the testicular fortitude to give Tyrone Wood’s family there time to call out Obama.

He gets a pass in my book for that alone.

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I hear his show on DC is very good. I missed it but I hear it is being repeated today. I’m going to make a point of catching. I need to up my anger quota.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Yes I think it is on around 7 tonight. Sean sometimes gets a little formulaic but he’s done a lot of redeeming stuff, and at least he is fighting the good fight.

For those who wanna rag on him all the time, there is always Maddow or Morgan up the dial. enjoy!

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I will admit that he does get on my nerves but you are right, he done enough good things to justify being on the air. He’s not the only one I struggle with listening to, it’s all a matter of preference. I would never want them to be taken off the air, including Maddow and Morgan.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Sean Hannity has a great hairline.. This is why he has a show on Fox News.

Illinidiva on January 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I think you and bluegill should look into getting a show together (throw in annoyinglittletwerp for good measure.)

It would be an entertainment blast and a ratings bonanza! :)

He gets a pass in my book for that alone.

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I’m with you.

The criticism Sean gets from many on the Right carries about as much as much weight as fans at sporting events who scream at athletes for “sucking” – like most of these critics could do better themselves!

Anti-Control on January 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM

I have nothing against Hannity; I’m just pointing out that he isn’t an intellectual heavyweight.

Illinidiva on January 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Ditto that on cutting Maddow and Morgan. I want them to go away because of poor poor ratings. So much sweeter.

Still hoping Mark Steyn get’s his own show soon.

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Illinidiva on January 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Like I said earlier, I find him hard to listen to on the radio but don’t you think we have far too many who consider themselves intellectual heavyweights?

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Put Brooks and Frum in that list as delusional intellectuals.

Krauthammer/Steyn/Will are the real deal. (yes Will even though he is milquetoast)

Hannity would be the last person to describe himself as an intellectual heavyweight IMHO.

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I think Hannity actually does think he is an intellectual heavyweight and serious journalist rather than realizing he is the guy who reads off the Republican talking points.

Illinidiva on January 27, 2013 at 12:30 PM

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I agree, I think Mr. Hannity sees himself as every man and someone who is very appreciative that his hard work has led to a blessed life. I love Mark Levin but the minute he starts fighting with a caller I switch stations for a bit. It’s a me thing, not a them thing. I loathe Brooks and Frum and resent the He!! out of them being considered spokesmen for anything but themselves.

Cindy Munford on January 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM

He gets a pass in my book for that alone.

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Hannity gets apass in my book as well.
Anyone who hasn’t tried the three hours a day should do so before they criticize.It’s not as easy as it sounds.
He does a lot of stuff that most listeners don’t understand and he takes flack for it. But he’s right on the mark.
If he wasnt he wouldn’t have 14 million listerners.

rodguy911 on January 27, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Meet the Press hosts Rep. Paul Ryan

Did anyone see that? Neo-Trot Paul Ryan gave Lady MacDeath her first soundbite for 2016:

Paul Ryan: Hillary Clinton Would Have ‘Fixed This Fiscal Mess’

Doubtful, since she, like Paul, voted YAY! on the banksta bailouts.

Rae on January 27, 2013 at 4:48 PM

It seems this sight overlooks the biggest threat in the MSM – the “News Entertainment” shows ala CBS Sunday Morning and the Today Show. More Americans will watch these shows than will see the talking head shows.

Did anyone see the CBS Sunday Morning show today?
Here is their promo for their editorial “With politicians and ordinary Americans debating the constitutionality of new laws and policies, should we adhere to a text made for its time that doesn’t account for our changing world? Constitutional law professor Louis Michael Seidman says no.”

CBS is promoting the idea that the Constitution is outdated. The scary part is that my friend, who was watching with me, didn’t see a problem with the editorial. How many others think like her? Not only that, but this professor didn’t say what he was replacing the Constitution with, just that it was outdated because of things like the 2nd Amendment and the Electoral College. Is he thinking to replace it with The Communist Manifesto or Mein Kampf or a dictatorship or a monarchy? Maybe he is for a mobocracy, we’ll take polls and make laws accordingly. Since the public is fickle, it will be hard to keep up with the changing laws.

The new assault on our Constitution must be because that pesky Bill of Rights gets in the way of so many wonderful government programs. How can a Constitutional scholar seem not to know why we have the Electoral College or the 2nd Amendment or even that we’re not a Democracy.

Our Constitution is not the problem with this country. I can’t believe how openly liberals are now attacking the very document that is the basis of our country!

Ibanez Lotus on January 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

can_con on January 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Steyn is probably the best fill-in host Rush has ever had. (Apologies to Walter E. Williams…)

Myron Falwell on January 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM