Video: Milwaukee County sheriff’s PSA on self-protection

posted at 10:01 am on January 26, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

One rule of thumb when hosting a radio talk show: don’t bring an audio clip on the air “cold,” i.e., without having heard it yourself.  That’s probably especially true when you’re guest-hosting for a good friend and mentor.  However, after Hot Air reader Tim R sent this to me near the end of the first hour of last night’s Hugh Hewitt show, I asked Duane “Generalissimo” Patterson to check it out for hour two as I was wrapping up an interview with John Eastman on the recess-appointment ruling.  In the break, I asked, “Can we use that?”  Duane answered, “Oh, hell yes.”

The sheriff of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin has a new public-service announcement on radio on protecting yourself, and it’s causing quite a stir in the community:

In the PSA, Sheriff David Clarke says, “With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option. You could beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back. But are you prepared?”

“You have a duty to protect yourself and your family. We’re partners now. Can I count on you?”

Sounds pretty straightforward and honest.  The police and sheriff’s deputies can’t arrive instantaneously to rescue citizens from every or even many violent crimes, and so it’s incumbent on people to learn to defense themselves.  The Fox affiliate leaves out a very important part of the PSA, though, which the Journal Sentinel at least mentions:

Clarke urges listeners to take a firearm safety course and handle a firearm “so you can defend yourself until we get there.”

Yes, instead of either cowering under the bed or buying a weapon and shooting wildly, Sheriff Clarke wants citizens to receive proper instruction in self-defense — which includes learning how to handle a weapon as well as the proper uses and legal limitations of self-defense.  These courses instill discipline and self-control, as well as prepare people for the unlikely-but-still-possible situation where they may be the only defense they have against a violent criminal.

Of course, that produced the usual hysteria:

“If he does not feel he is capable of  doing this, and he’s not qualified to take on this role of public safety, he should resign and he should do it today,” said Jeri Bonavia of the non-profit Wisconsin Anti-violence Effort.

Bonavia says Clarke is asking citizens to become vigilantes.

“To issue a blanket statement that people should be out there, arming up, and taking care of safety matters that really law enforcement officials are trained to do, is just irresponsible,” said Bonavia.

The office of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett said in a statement: “Apparently Sheriff David Clark (sp) is auditioning for the next Dirty Harry movie.”

Apparently, Barrett never watched the Dirty Harry movies, only one of which was about a vigilante (Sudden Impact, the worst of the series), and none of which had citizens acting in true self-defense.  Dirty Harry wasn’t about citizen vigilantes; it was about a sworn peace officer who used excessive force to deliver his own brand of justice.  In fact, Sheriff Clarke is warning his community that it’s impossible for police to rescue all the citizens from violent criminals, as Clint Eastwood manages to do in the film series, and that it’s their responsibility to learn how to defend themselves.

There’s a lot of irresponsibility in Milwaukee County, but it’s not coming from Sheriff Clarke.

Update: Fixed the headline — it’s Milwaukee County, not Milwaukee Country.

Update II: I messed up the video code when I added the first update. It’s now fixed.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Tomblvd on January 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I’m talking as to how the courts might see it. And, when it comes to killing a criminal, police and the courts will decide if it’s a legal shoot.

I’m not trying to fight you, because I’m on your side. I offered the best advice I have to prevent a law-abiding Citizen from being arbitrarily declared a criminal for exercising his right to self-defense.

Liam on January 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Bad advice is worse than no advice at all. You might want to review the new “Castle Doctrine” laws in PA.

Tomblvd on January 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM

However, after Hot Air reader Tim R sent this to me near the end of the first hour of last night’s Hugh Hewitt show, I asked Duane “Generalissimo” Patterson to check it out for hour two as I was wrapping up an interview with John Eastman on the recess-appointment ruling. In the break, I asked, “Can we use that?” Duane answered, “Oh, hell yes.”

..tangential: The Generalissimo is a person of extremely savvy political acumen. Before the 6 NOV 2012 debacle, Ed, your Friday shows with him were among the best listening around. I am constantly amazed that this talk-show producer comes up with the insight he does. His head’s always in the game, 24/7/365.

It is clear that Hewe Hughwittless gets a majority of his stuff from Duane. (I tire of Witless’s mirthless bagging on Duane; it’s beyond tedious.)

Were Duane to get his own show, I would be a 100% listener.

The War Planner on January 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Tomblvd on January 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Fair enough–I never claimed I have everything right.

What the FRACK is wrong with YOU, that you keep arguing with me even after I have made all concessions to you and agree with you without further debate?

Liberals do your current game all the time.

So…

Liam on January 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Tomblvd on January 27, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I try to stop arguments, yet YOU keep pushing one I do not want.

Just like a typical liberal.

Pffft!

Liam on January 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Fair enough–I never claimed I have everything right.

Liberals do your current game all the time.

So…

Liam on January 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM

First, in your error-riddled post you made the statement:

There ARE legal restrictions when it comes to self-defense. Here are just a few, as I understand and apply in all fifty states:

There isn’t a lot of wiggle room there. Someone reading that might think you actually know what you are talking about.

And what bothers me is that when it’s pointed out that you don’t have the facts right, you don’t have the sense to admit you don’t really know what you are talking about. Especially when it comes to a literal life and death situation.

Now let’s see, who does that ALL the time?????????

Tomblvd on January 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Now let’s see, who does that ALL the time?????????

Tomblvd on January 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Seriously–what is wrong with you?

I admitted I’m not expert on law. I told I’m only going by what police I know have told me. I’m not trying to undercut you, yet YOU seem to take all this personally.

What the frack is WRONG with you? I’m not trying to have an argument, yet YOU want one. I stated my case, you stated yours, and I’m not trying to fight you. You may well be right, and I conceded that hours ago.

Just like a liberal, you can’t be happy even with a total win.

Screw it–you win on all counts.

Feel better now?

Pffft!

Liam on January 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I’m thinking about getting a Berreta M9 for home defense. It’s a 9mm with 15rnd capacity. Anyone have any opinions/comments on this choice of weapon?

St Gaudens on January 27, 2013 at 7:24 AM

That particular model is a great weapon. I have one in stainless and aside from concealment, it is everything I want in a handgun. 9mm for (except now) easy to find ammo. Combination positive safety/decocker. Accurately shoots like a dream. Rugged and reliable…never had a FTF/FTL. Easy dissasembly/cleaning.

Other than the price these days (I bought mine 15 years ago) I’d say it’s the perfect handgun for home defense. And yes, you’ll eventually own multiple firearms, but this is a great one with which to start.

James on January 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Just went through the posts quickly, but I can’t believe no one has done the joke about:

“The average police response tme is 7-10 minutes. The average 9mm response time is 1400 ft per second.”

Oldie, but goodie. Personal fave is the Glock 35. It responds nicely and on time.

NoPain on January 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM

What is it with sheriffs and four-star boards on their shoulders? Do they really thnk they are equal to an OF-9?

Nutstuyu on January 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Sorry, meant O-10. OF-9 is for those NATO stooges.

Nutstuyu on January 27, 2013 at 8:49 PM

James on January 27, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Thanks James. The more I read about the Beretta 92FS, the more I like it. I can’t wait to fire it.

St Gaudens on January 27, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Too lazy to find the link, but last I heard, the FBI stats said a criminal legally killed is four times more likely to have gotten that way by the gun of a private citizen than a law enforcement officer.

The Sheriff knows the truth and chooses to speak it.

Cricket624 on January 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Many Americans are unaware that the sheriff is the one elected official that has authority to trump federal power. This will be an increasingly important role as the feds continue to wipe their behinds with the constitution. The Sherriff will be the only person that can stand between the feds and the takeover of our country.

Some jurisdictions are already proposing legislation that states that any fed that comes in and enforces federal laws against the sheriffs wishes will be subject to automatic arrest and jail time. It’s a serious matter. This will come into play soon when the kenyan issues an executive order banning 30 round magazines and mandatory registration. Many sherrifs will not enforce that and will not allow the feds or the military to enforce it. It will work it’s way through the courts but expect that bloodshed will occur long before it gets decided. The deputies that work for socialist sherrifs will be in a very precarious position.

This sheriff appears to be one of the good guys. You should probably know where you sheriff stands before this stuff goes down. Many are already stating their positions publicly don’t be afraid to ask yours.

acyl72 on January 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

While this certainly gives me warm and fuzzies, where does this trump power come from exactly? And are we sure it is the same in every state? I know Louisiana has some unusual situations because of the parish structure.

Nutstuyu on January 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Sheriff Clarke was just interviewed on Fox & Friends. Very impressive!

More like him would make this a better and safer place. Milwaukee County is lucky to have him.

petefrt on January 28, 2013 at 7:32 AM

You should probably know where your sheriff stands before this stuff goes down. Many are already stating their positions publicly don’t be afraid to ask yours.

acyl72 on January 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Good advice. If you don’t like your sheriff, elect a better one while you still can.

petefrt on January 28, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I think he went to the Ted Nugent School of Law Enforcement.

“I don’t believe in repeat offenders. I believe in dead offenders.”

NoPain on January 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM

What the sheriff is saying actually falls right in line with the vision our founders had for us, involved citizens exercising their rights in a free and open society and fulfilling their obligation to defend themselves and their neighbors.

Speakup on January 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM