Report: Palin parts ways with Fox News

posted at 6:51 pm on January 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

Her choice, not theirs, according to a source who spoke to RCP.

After a three-year run as a paid contributor to the nation’s highest-rated cable news channel, Sarah Palin and FOX News have cut ties, according to a source close to the former Alaska governor.

“It’s my understanding that Gov. Palin was offered a contract by FOX, and she decided not to renew the arrangement,” the source close to Palin told RCP. “She remains focused on broadening her message of common-sense conservatism across the country and will be expanding her voice in the national discussion.”

The source declined to say whether Palin would pursue a television contract with another news network, such as CNN.

Not surprising given what happened last year at the convention, although the Times claims she and Fox were negotiating a new contract as recently as last week. Maybe she has another offer on the table that’s sweeter than theirs?

My first thought when I read the RCP piece was that Mark Begich is up for reelection next year and is already preparing for a strong conservative challenge, but NRO’s Robert Costa tweets some skepticism:

I thought challenging Begich, a weak blue incumbent in a very red state, was her best bet back to political office, but maybe she’s transitioned to Arizona now. (Costa hears that she’s still occasionally in touch with Joe Miller, who appears to be planning to challenge Begich himself.) If not politics, then what? Hard to believe she’d trade Fox for CNN. Maybe … Glenn Beck’s network, The Blaze? It had 300,000 online subscribers as of last summer and must have many more now, especially since Dish Network started airing it in September. And Beck’s aggressively trying to promote it, from making a bid on Current TV to gain a platform on basic cable to opening foreign bureaus in hopes of becoming a sort of libertarian alternative to Fox. She’d instantly raise the network’s profile and bring in new viewers. And there’s plenty of room on the programming schedule for her: The channel currently airs from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET with a two-hour block free from 2-4 so they could give her her own show if that’s what she has in mind. If I had to bet, I’d bet that’s where she goes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 49 50 51 52 53 113

Sorry, INC. Didn’t mean to copy the “Hey.”

I think I’ve watched too much Duck Dynasty, lol.

Si’s use of the word Hey. It seems to be an important part of his vocabulary.

Fallon on May 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Holy Moly, Si got me a page turn, lol.

That snuck up quickly, didn’t it?

Fallon on May 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM

I think this calls for a line dance…

Fifth post and out…

Have a great day, Gulchers. I’m heading up to start planting daughter’s garden.

Me: (After I’ve already rototilled, weeded, raked and amended the soil.) Do you want me to help get your garden started?

Daughter: Yes, that’d be great.

Me: Do you want me to draw it out or actually do the planting.

Daughter: Yes.

Fallon on May 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Me: Do you want me to draw it out or actually do the planting.

Daughter: Yes.

Fallon on May 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM

…L O L !
… d a m n !…51 already!

KOOLAID2 on May 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Report: Palin parts ways with Fox News

posted at 6:51 pm on January 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

…I don’t know how to do the linky thing…why do you think I’m always listening to YOUR tunes!

KOOLAID2 on May 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM

…that was meant for upstairs! (:-<)

KOOLAID2 on May 6, 2013 at 11:15 PM

lol

Midas on May 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM

So…… This is the GULCH…..Might just have to visit more often.

Barred on May 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM

…do we shoot for the Century mark?

KOOLAID2 on May 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Sure, why not?

INC on May 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Bishop to May 07

gh on May 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Bishop to May 07

gh on May 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Chess?

INC on May 7, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Evenin folks! WOW! I had no idea. I LIKEY!

rottenrobbie on May 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM

The Gulch isn’t hidden. It’s just pretend hidden. It wouldn’t take much to dig it out. :)

Axe (aka “Pookie”) on May 6, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Does this mean we can stop wearing camo?

Off to get grandbaby. What fun to have had visitors last night.

Fallon on May 7, 2013 at 8:20 AM

What is above is below
What is without is within
What is to come is in the past
Its rising is not bright
Nor its setting dark
Twisting back
Beyond my mind
Life from a spiral void.

Scrumpy on May 7, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Love your poetry.

Fallon on May 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

From Facebook:

More new taxes?

How can we be divided on new taxes? In this horribly weak economy with an over-reaching, over-spending, anti-small-business government continually making the wrong decisions, Republicans can’t even stay committed to “No New Taxes”?

Please step away from your Washington, DC bubble and get back in touch with the hard working people who sent you there. Read the planks in our party’s platform and then read our lips. Learn from history or face repeating it: NO NEW TAXES.

- Sarah Palin

Fallon on May 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Me: Do you want me to draw it out or actually do the planting.

Daughter: Yes.

Fallon on May 6, 2013 at 8:28 AM

I forgot to tell you how this cracked me up.

My husband and daughter have the green thumbs in our family, and the conversation would have been reversed for me.

INC on May 7, 2013 at 4:12 PM

The MN marriage thread today prompted me to finally do some organizing of posts on my blog.

To date I’ve written over 45 posts on marriage. Links to the posts are grouped on these three pages.

Marriage is one of the sub-pages of Family.

These are sub-pages under Marriage.

I finish reading What Is Marriage? Man and Woman: A Defense a couple of months ago, but I’m still posting on it because I wanted to work through its arguments.

I’ll also be adding to the other two pages.

INC on May 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Fallon on May 7, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I need to say that that poem isn’t mine but a mix of poetry from Timothy Leary, tho I like how I mixed it up :-)

So all credit goes to Mr T. Leary RIP…

Scrumpy on May 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Illinois GOP Chairman Pat Brady, resigned (finally) after announcing his support (and lobbying) for SSM earlier this year, opposing the party platform in the process. Local media downplayed it, the Tribune going so far to obscure the lede and take the column off its main webpage in short order.

Conservative take from Illinois Review (h/t Fallon)

wolfsDad on May 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

From Facebook:

Tomorrow’s hearings on Benghazi will define the Obama presidency if the truth is finally allowed to be told. I encourage everyone to tune in and hear the revelations that are long overdue. We’ll also see whether the president’s reliable lapdog cheerleaders in the media will continue to cover up for him and in so doing disgrace their profession. The following link is to something I posted way back on October 25th of last year asking questions that we should have had answers to long ago.

– Sarah Palin

There are many questions about the Benghazi attack that Americans deserve answers to. It’s been too long an “investigation” and too tragic for the families of lost loved ones for the White House and its friends in the media to ignore these questions:

– When and why did the YouTube trailer of the anti-Muhammad movie surface as any kind of credible reason for the attack?

– Where is the proof that that video was linked to Benghazi? It’s a weak excuse to claim some supposed rumored link between Benghazi and the attacks on our embassy in Cairo. Benghazi was very different. “Spontaneous” protestors don’t come armed with rocket-propelled grenades.

- What was the President’s response to the previous Benghazi embassy attacks in April and June? Why did officials ignore the requests for beefed up security to protect Americans after these attacks?

- Why did the Obama Administration assume a YouTube video was the reason for the Benghazi attack but not all the evidence to the contrary from the postings and emails that circulated that night in real time as the attack took place and Americans were being killed? And why weren’t those emails disclosed until this week?

– Why did the Obama administration spend our tax dollars to make and air television ads that ran in the Middle East apologizing for the YouTube video when they had so much credible evidence that it was nothing but a red herring?

- How much did President Obama know about this? In an interview he gave to CBS News on September 12, President Obama alluded to the fact that the Benghazi attack was not—as his U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice and other officials were characterizing it—a “spontaneous” protest triggered by the Cairo embassy attack and the video. He told CBS News in that interview, “my suspicion is that there are folks involved in [the Benghazi attack] who were looking to target Americans from the start.” If he suspected this then why did he allow his administration to continue blaming the attack on the YouTube video? And why didn’t CBS News call him out on this when his comments in their interview with him, which they didn’t air until a month later, belie the administration’s YouTube narrative?

Someone in the media must demand answers. Until the media does its job to give us the Who What Where When and Why of this cover-up, there will be even less trust for this “cornerstone of our democracy” – if less trust and respect for the media is even possible today. We sincerely want to be able to trust the media. We need to be able to trust them. Their job is so important, and we appreciate all the good journalists in America. Our troops fight to protect all our freedoms including the freedom of the press.

– Sarah Palin

Fallon on May 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM

So all credit goes to Mr T. Leary RIP…

Scrumpy on May 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Being married to an English major did not rub off on me,lol. Sorry for the mix up. You are still the one that brought it to my attention. Thank you for the beautiful words you write, edit and bring out of the shadows.

Fallon on May 8, 2013 at 7:41 AM

wolfsDad on May 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Quite a shake up and long overdue as you pointed out. Things could get interesting. Maybe, Illinois Republican will no longer be a non sequitur.

Fallon on May 8, 2013 at 7:47 AM

INC on May 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I went back and read through that thread. There is a lot of great information and rational arguments there, thanks to INC.

Fallon on May 8, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Fifth post: I was at the grocery store this afternoon and started talking to the checker. She went on and on about politicians and all the bad stuff they do. (At first, I couldn’t find my credit card. It was in my pocket because I stopped to get gas before going shopping. After finding it, I said, wow, gas prices are so high. $4.26, I rounded up from the ridiculous .9 on the pump. That started her off on Illinois politicians.)

So, I had a hunch and said, it’s too bad more people don’t have the time to pay attention to these things and call out the politicians. And she replied, well, I don’t. I really don’t want to hear about any of this…

Seriously. She knew enough to complain, she knew enough as to who is to blame but she didn’t want to spend the time to find out any more information. She just didn’t want to hear it.

That is what we are up against. That, and the lady behind me in line who bought every gossip rag at the check-out stand. I wanted to bang my head against my steering wheel when I got back in my car. Listening to the Benghazi hearings, I thought, she just doesn’t want to hear about this. She’d probably agree with Hillary. “What difference at this point does it make…”

I grieve for my country.

Fallon on May 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Fallon on May 8, 2013 at 7:38 AM

…enjoyed that!

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Fallon on May 8, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Oh no, my fault for not clarifying :-)

Thanks for posting the Sarah Palin Piece!!!

Scrumpy on May 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I grieve for my country.
Fallon on May 8, 2013 at 3:01 PM

As do I darlin’ as do I…

I think about that old saying, “hit rock bottom and then climb back up,” I hope that’s not where we are headed, but in all eventualities I am ready, as ready as I can be…

Hard to look on the ‘bright side’ somtimes, but I got faith and a belief that America will stand, and stand tall and strong!

God Willing…

Scrumpy on May 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

wolfsDad on May 7, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Illinois Review has a good site. Thanks for the link.

INC on May 9, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Fallon on May 8, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Thank you, Fallon. There were some others who came alongside. It’s far easier when different people bring out different points. We all have unique contributions to make, and things I don’t think of or know, someone else will bring up.

There have been so many HA threads on SSM that it’s been helpful to me for honing my thinking and arguments. That sort of iron sharpening iron is not what I would have chosen, but it’s the battle at hand. Reading and posting equips and also focuses my understanding.

Others are more adept verbally than I am, but my personal background in many ways has been preparation to defend marriage in whatever ways I can. My math degree gave me training in logic. I had a brother who died of AIDS, and I know some of the pain, sin, and destruction of that lifestyle. I’m a Christian, and I am compelled to speak the truth so that any who have an ear to hear will hear.

I wrote in a post called Courage, that we make much of Jesus Christ when we declare the truth of the Gospel. My heart breaks for those need that truth. My love for Christ and my love for my brother drove me to witness to him over decades. I listened to him, suffered with him, and many times suffered because of him. He turned to me and to my husband when he was in pain. It was costly in tears and in the rejection I knew at times from him and others, but it was worth it. My brother would have died without Christ and remained under God’s wrath.

If I help change only one mind, only one heart, only one life….

INC on May 9, 2013 at 7:23 PM

In other news yesterday my husband finally called the guy with whom he had interviewed to try to find out what was going on. He was told they had decided to do a video interview before or after our son gets married on the 18th.

Not much going on in our lives, eh?

Today the guy called back, and he wants to do this second interview this coming Monday afternoon. My husband asked how many remain in the package and was told that he is the only candidate remaining under consideration. When last they spoke about this there had been three.

My husband thinks, “So, why not just go ahead and offer me the job?” We don’t know. I’m guessing that since they’ve never met him they want some kind of reassurance. There may be a supervisor who wants to stick his oar in and give his stamp of approval. Job interviews today sometimes seem to have magical thinking involved as if people are waiting for something to suddenly click.

Anyway, we’ll find out.

Right now I’m muddled with shock, apprehension, and hope.

INC on May 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

INC on May 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Oh I can only guess at what you and your hubby are going thru!

Stick with the hope INC!

Anything else isn’t good for you :-)

Words to live by: If I help change only one mind, only one heart, only one life….

God Bless you and yours!!

Scrumpy on May 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM

My husband just came in and told me that he thinks the other person who will be present is an IT guy who’s going to set up the interview and has nothing to do with the hiring for the position.

????

A couple of weeks ago I read a post, The Jeopardy! Paradox, that reminded me of my husband and the whole job finding process today. It’s about a book by Susan Cain, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking.

Cain charts America’s change from a “Culture of Character to a Culture of Personality” in the 20th century, largely aligned with the rise of industrial society and cities where “Americans found themselves working no longer with neighbors but with strangers” and in environments where making a good first impression became paramount.

I remember getting interviews for my first part-time jobs and summer student full-time jobs because people knew me or me and my parents. Character and personal recommendations got you into the interviews which were one-to-one.

Over the past few years I’ve gone for several interviews at our local university. The interviews were either group interviews or a string of several one-to-one or pair interviews. They were similar to sorority rush, only worse. You have to simultaneously talk, answer questions, and be congenial with numerous people.

The most wearing experience I had was for a very simple part-time job assisting a dept. secretary. I made it past a phone interview to what was considered a second interview, but was actually a series of about 3 interviews, one after another. I met the secretary whom I would assist and her boss who was the dept. head–this was basically just to say hello, here I am. I next met with about 5 or 6 people in a large group, most of whom I would have had very little contact with. Then I met with an associate dean, and then back to the original dept. head.

By my assessment I hit it off with the assoc. dean, the dept. head, and the one I would actually work with. Voice tone cues and body language (I know they can be misinterpreted) from one of the ones with whom I would have little to do with gave me the feeling that she took umbrage with me for some reason. Maybe she would have been that way with everyone. Obviously, I don’t know. But her nonverbal reaction was the only reason I could think of that I didn’t get the job, even though it was one I could have done when I was 15 years old.

I dunno. My husband and I have talked and talked about this.

INC on May 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Scrumpy on May 9, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Hey, Scrumpy! Thank you.

You’re one of the verbally adept. My daughter, who is an excellent writer who hopes to be published, and I have often lamented the fact that we weren’t educated in England where it seems that you breathe in writing. It must be that Shakespearean air or something!

INC on May 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM

INC on May 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM

(:->)

INC on May 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM

…I like reading…when you write…

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Thank you! :)

INC on May 10, 2013 at 12:37 AM

INC on May 9, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Holding my breath for good news. And, you are a very good writer.

Fallon on May 10, 2013 at 2:27 PM

OMG! My blog is up for now, don’t know how long it will stay up!

Blog.com is having some serious issues, wish they’d get them fixed.

INC on May 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM:

When I was in school it was mandatory in English to read many old and classic poets… same with classic english literature…

But mostly what I write comes from within…

Life, experiences…

When you write from the heart and soul it comes easy, and it doesn’t have to rhyme!

You see what you do! I couldn’t do that! So we each have a talent for somthing and you are soooooooooo good at what you do! ^ 5

Scrumpy on May 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Hi Fallon!! Still here?

Scrumpy on May 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Still hoping for good news for you INC!!

See you all later I am sure!!

God Bless and have a wonderful afternoon and evening!

* swoosh *

Scrumpy on May 10, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Hi Fallon!! Still here?

Scrumpy on May 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Sorry, I missed you, “Hi Scrumpy!!!

*waving wildly but, sadly, too late*

I popped in and out quickly today. The whole Benghazi thing has consumed me today. I even got into it with one of my young cousins on Facebook. Arguing with the young’uns reminds me that at least my brain still works. They cannot make clear, concise arguments. Well, they don’t have a lot to work with when they are so brainwashed by the progressives and popular culture. I’d love for them to be able to think independently from what Jon Stewart or Rachel Maddow say they should believe.

*shaking my head*

‘Night Gulchers… Time to get ready to go dancin’!

Fallon on May 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM

From Chuck Heath, Jr.’s (Sarah Palin’s brother) Facebook:

As many of you may have heard, our dad is in the hospital right now after undergoing major open-heart surgery today. We knew this was surgery was imminent and Dad probably wanted to keep it private, but the word got out so in order to stop the rumors, here are the facts:

Mom is with me now at my house. She spent the day in the waiting room. Dad is unconscious and on a ventilator but they hope to remove it soon so he can breathe on his own. The surgery went well according to the doctors. It lasted almost six hours and they fixed a lot of things… pulmonary aneurysm, aortic valve replacement, etc. He had a congenital valve condition that made his heart work much harder than it was supposed to for his entire life; his drive and stubbornness probably kept him going for as long as his seventy-five years. Most people that know him know that he’s been extremely active his entire life… college track and football, all-star basketball player in Skagway, Boston Marathoner, as well as a longtime hunting and fishing guide. Amazing to think he did all this with a weak heart.

He was still working hard right up until his surgery. Mom said he was outside with his chainsaw bucking logs and hauling them up the hill below their house two days ago.

Hopefully, everything will go well. I think the biggest obstacle will be getting him to stay in bed and let his body heal. It’s going to be a long haul.

Thanks again for the prayers and messages,
Chuck.

p.s. Alaskan friends: Dad said before he went in that he didn’t want people to see him in his hospital bed, full of tubes and helpless. Hopefully he’ll be home in week or so.

Prayers to the Heath/Palin family.

Fallon on May 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Prayers to the Heath/Palin family.

Fallon on May 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Indeed.

wolfsDad on May 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Prayers ascending to our Heavenly Father!

I pray that your father recovers.

Much love to you all Palin Family!!

Scrumpy on May 11, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Time to get ready to go dancin’!
Fallon on May 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I have good news, my friend a die-hard NYC liberal finally seen the light! He has come to his senses after me talking to him about politics for 3 years!

This whole debacle over firstly Gosnell, then Benghazi, and the final nail in the coffin was the IRS targeting the TP and Patriots!

He was so sure that the media was right and I was wrong…

That I was just h8ing on dems for the hell of it…

He swore that he will no longer support dems.

This man was so sure Obama was IT! Now he has seen that Obama is nothing but an agitator and a liar…

There is hope Fallon! never give up…

Hope you had a wonderful time dancing!!

Til next time God Bless you!

* swoosh *

Scrumpy on May 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM

There is hope Fallon! never give up…

Hope you had a wonderful time dancing!!

Til next time God Bless you!

* swoosh *

Scrumpy on May 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM

:-)

Thank you.

Nice article in the HA headlines…

A troll-free Palin post. There is hope.

Fallon on May 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Prayers to the Heath/Palin family.

Fallon on May 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM

…yes!

KOOLAID2 on May 11, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Nice article in the HA headlines…

A troll-free Palin post. There is hope.

Fallon on May 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM

…I never pay much attetion to the Headlines …glad you brought that to our attention…what a lady!

KOOLAID2 on May 11, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Happy Mother’s Day Gulcher Moms and Grandmas! I hope you will be shown great love, respect and appreciation, and that you will be
pampered very well today.

This is a nice tribute to Sarah’s mom. Hope her dad is recovering well. . .

Happy Mom’s Day, Sarah!

Opinionator on May 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM

INC – More prayers and crossed fingers re your hubby’s interview. Just a guess, but maybe that IT guy is going to be there in case there are any glitches with Skype?

Last summer my niece landed a job just out of college with a NYC ad agency via a Skype interview. I guess that’s the new fangled approach lol. I firmly believe your husband will get this job and that this interview is just i dotting and t crossing. . Keep us posted, eh?

Opinionator on May 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM

A gift for all Gulchers on Mom’s Day. This is one of my favorite dishes and what’s for dinner tonight. It is almost effortless and addictive once eaten a few times. It can easily be doubled in a 9 X 13 pan.

BACON CHICKEN

Place four or five pieces of chicken in a 9 X 9 pan. I use thighs but you can use any kind you like. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper or garlic powder and lemon pepper. Drape each with a half slice of bacon, or wrap larger pieces in a strip of bacon.

Combine a small carton (8 oz.) of sour cream with one can of undiluted cream of chicken soup. Spread evenly over and around the chicken.

Cover and bake at 325 1.5 hours. I usually spoon the sauce over after an hour – there is no need to turn the chicken. If you like a thicker sauce, bake another half hour. Spoon any grease off the surface, stir the sauce and coat the chicken well before serving.

The bacon kind of melts into the sauce. I usually serve with orzo or rice, but mashed potatoes, polenta, noodles or anything works well with the sauce, too. If you want to fancify, add sauteed onions and mushrooms to the sauce before baking, and/or top with buttered, toasted panko or cracker crumbs at the end.

I like it the simple way. I don’t know where this recipe came from, but I love whoever invented it :)_

Opinionator on May 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Page 50 just flew by – and congrats (belatedly) to Fallon for the turn!

When I was last here, I spoke to Scrumpy about conversations with God. I hope she saw that. . .

One of my favorites in my own life is the following. Over the years I lost three children – and grieved mightily over each one. I always wanted to be a mom but that never happened.

One day I was driving to a momentous event over an hour away. Out of the blue this thought appeared: “You know, Op, your children are eternal, too.” I don’t call myself by name when thinking and know this was a direct message from God. For a long time I’ve known we are eternal beings, but for whatever reason I had never applied it to my three children. It was momentous! I would see my children, know them one day and I had never lost them at all! I cried and cried in thanksgiving the rest of that drive. WHAT AN INCREDIBLE GIFT! Finally I had a way to handle my grief.

I have come to view all children as part of me/my own and love them all dearly. There is so much to learn from their clear thinking and pure hearts.

Close friends always wish me Happy Mother’s Day, too. Today I am thinking of my children and honoring them and God – I cannot wait to see each of them again. . .!!!

Opinionator on May 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Opinionator on May 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

…didn’t know that!…thanks for sharing…and much love to you brother!

KOOLAID2 on May 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Oops. Happy Mother’s Day to the women of the Gulch. Gave the kid a reminder first thing this a.m., at least.

Moms rock.

wolfsDad on May 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Opinionator on May 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM

That was beautiful. I sometimes forget to count my blessings. Yesterday the whole crew was home. Hubby cooked dinner with help from foodie son, and baker daughter brought dessert. Granddaughter loved having her attentive aunts and uncles around her. But, when she became overwhelmed and/or tired, she’d come over and gently lean on “Nana” or stretch her arms out for me to scoop her up and snuggle. I treasure these little moments and am truly grateful for them.

Gooooood Monday morning, Gulchers! Coffee’s on.

(There was global warming frost on the lawn this morning. What a strange Spring, lol.)

Fallon on May 13, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I was so lame and forgot to wish HA Moms a Happy Mothers Day!!

Hope you all had a wonderful spoiled day! :-D

Scrumpy on May 13, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Hi INC! Yes I did and commented.

Courage is a wonderful piece :-)

I bookmarked it!

Scrumpy on May 13, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Hi Peeps! What a whirlwind of news! Cautiously optimistic…

Fallon on May 13, 2013 at 10:56 PM

KA2 – Sending much love right back to you. Thank you!

wolfsDad – I’m sure your wife appreciated that reminder :)

Fallon – Your family gathering sounds wonderful, and your description of your granddaughter was precious! Please give her a hug for me.

Scrumpy – I’m sorry if I have somehow offended you. . . I certainly never intended to!

To All – The news on Friday and today has been stunning, although not the least bit surprising. The storm clouds are gathering quickly now. I hope the dam breaks soon so we can get to work rebuilding. We are long overdue to right this ship of state. I still have hope and faith in our ability to do so. The loss and destruction to so many has been difficult to observe and experience. .

Opinionator on May 13, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Fallon – same page, same time, same sentiments :) !

Opinionator on May 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Fallon – same page, same time, same sentiments :) !

Opinionator on May 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Definitely.

Weird start today. I had trouble getting to the Gulch this morning. I kept getting a hybrid of another article with one of wolfsdad’s posts tacked to the bottom. I am so glad it is still here.

*waving to the powers that be.*

Thank you for allowing this to continue. Whatever “this” is.

I also must stop posting and running, as I miss the back and forth with other Gulchers. (Sorry, Scrumpy, INC, OP, Koolaid2, wolfsdad et al, really, everybody.) But, I’m going to do it again as today is a granddaughter-watching day. A day I pop in and out whenever I get a break.

And, I have to go but giving a shout-out to some the missing Gulchers. Hey Bluefox, unseen, Bmore, and anyone else who’s posted in the past (I’m blanking on more names), we’re still here and there’s always a fresh cup of coffee and a homemade snack waiting. And, we’ll always leave the lights on. :-)

Fallon on May 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Opinionator on May 13, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Silly Goose!!!! I have not nor have been ever offended by anything you write!!

I love what you have to say!!

So get that thought outta your head!

I am not so swift at getting back to folks, so it’s my bad!

Scrumpy on May 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Fallon on May 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

No apology needed! We all have lives outside of here!

I am just as bad…

Scrumpy on May 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Fallon on May 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

No apology needed! We all have lives outside of here!

I am just as bad…

Scrumpy on May 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Ditto, for all of us.

Looks like the Mike Tobin thread sometimes replaces this one when refreshing. Persistence seems to work for getting back here, though.

wolfsDad on May 14, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Hey, everyone!

wolfsDad, I’ve noticed a few weird things as well every once in a while. When I refresh, it settles down.

Thanks, Scrumpy!

Fallon, what wonderful moments with your granddaughter.

Opinionator, I’m sorry for your loss. I hope Sunday was blessed for you.

Hi KA2 and lurkers!

Our son came up for a last Mother’s Day before he’s married, and it was so nice to see him and be with both my kids.

I enjoy reading what’s going on with all of you. Sometimes I read, and then come back to write because there are times my heart is too full or I’m too tightly wound up to do so. Things have been stressful for too long.

My husband did his video interview yesterday. I felt slightly sick to my stomach with apprehension over it. The IT guy read the questions, while the guy my husband has been speaking with watched, took notes, and occasionally made a comment. My husband thought he gave strong answers to all but one of the questions.

Today he received an e-mail from the guy asking for permission to contact former employers or whomever my husband put down as references. We take this as a good sign!

Meanwhile we’re trying to get some other things done we need to do before we go out of town on Thursday for our son’s wedding. The rehearsal is Friday, and the wedding is on Saturday.

Our daughter was in a fender bender—skidded in the rain and rear-ended someone the other week—and is using her tax refund to repair her car. She’s maid of honor to our son’s fiancee, which is nice. She’s going to stay with the bride’s family. My mom is taking her car, and we’re taking our car. My mom has a friend whose owns a time-share on the FL panhandle coast, and her friend has gotten us two apts. to use. The friend has never been to this one on the FL east coast, so I hope everything will turn out OK. We’ll be in one, and my mom, one of her sisters, and my dad’s brother, who is the only surviving child from his family, will be in another.

I spent today getting my hair trimmed and running a few other errands. Tomorrow I have to pack, mend whatever needs mending, and probably end up having to do something else at the last minute.

I may pop in some tomorrow. Knowing my husband, he’ll bring his notebook computer along. I’ll stop by over the weekend if I get a chance to do so.

Also, my daughter recently finished another painting that I wanted to share with you:

She’ll be headed up to MA in June for the Illustration Master Class. She went last year—learned a lot and had a great time.

INC on May 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM

INC on May 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM

…except for the fender bender…good vibes are happening…and have a safe trip!
…I’m headed to the subs of DC in a few days…will *spit* from the outskirts…then take the three kids to Orlando for a week…they want to do a few of the parks one last time as a family…the oldest will probable start a job soon…we’ll be lucky to take one with JUST our family anymore…though we’ll be hoping to still get together as a whole family at the yearly reunion in Hilton Head…but you know how that goes…three kids going in three different directions with careers and others… as they get older.

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Inc- sorry about the fender bender … hope no one was hurt.
glad about the interview … have never done an video interview b4
that would be strange ….
hope good things happen
well kids .. gotta go to bed … lots to do tomorrow …

conservative tarheel on May 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM

INC on May 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM

The painting is captivating. You daughter does nice work. Runs in the family, obviously.

wolfsDad on May 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I have family and friends in the D.C. area. It’s too bad the politicians are there to ruin the scenary!

It sounds like a summer of memories.

conservative tarheel on May 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Thanks. No, she and the other driver were OK. He was quite nice about things. My sister’s husband knows a guy who does body work so he’s fixing it. She will need a new grill, but no to the radiator. It’s an old Volvo we got for her when she was in college, so it has actual real bumpers made out of metal.

The video interview was a first for my husband. He’s used Skype, but that was always informal talking to family/friends. He played with the lights in the living room, and got his computer at the right level. We unplugged phones, etc. Making eye contact was a bit different, because to do so he worked at looking at the camera rather than the people—otherwise from their POV he would have been looking down.

We hope good things happen, too!

INC on May 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM

wolfsDad on May 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I’m glad you like it. She says she’s going to try to retake the photo because she couldn’t get the lighting quite right. The wall has some lovely shading that didn’t really show up.

INC on May 15, 2013 at 1:34 AM

INC on May 14, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Okay, my artist ADD just kicked in. I read through your post and agree with Koolaid, all good except the fender bender but… The painting. Absolutely beautiful. She is very talented. I always wished I had gone the illustrator route with my art. I have to say it again. She has a gift. Thank you for sharing, INC. You have such wonderful and varied talent in your family. Love it.

I’m off to meet with a group of conservative ladies that I met at the soapbox event a couple of weeks ago. Should be interesting. They’ve been meeting for years, I’ll be the newbie. I’m usually quiet at first but I hold my own once I’m comfortable in a group setting, lol.

Fallon on May 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM

{{Scrumpy}} Thanks! You can add (over) sensitive to that silly goose :)

INC – I got lost in your daughter’s paintings and writing – most excellent, particularly her skills with water colors! Then I got lost in your DIL’s photography – also extraordinary. You have two very accomplished children and are adding another talented artist to the family!

I know you’ll be pretty beautiful in peach, with hues found in your daughter’s ‘Ranunculus’ painting for the invitations. And it seems you’re headed somewhere close to where I lived in parts of 3rd and 6th grades – Titusville. I hope the wedding – and timeshare – and your time with family and friends will all be fabulous.

Your husband got the job, I’m sure! Congratulations in advance :) I’m off to collect boxes to help with your upcoming move. . .

KA2 – Sounds like a great trip you have planned with your children this week as well. Say hi to my cuz and her family in the D.C. area :) and have a great time in FL! [I also lived in Alexandria and Arlington as a child!]

Safe travels to you and INC. and your families. We’ll be thinking of you and missing you in the Gulch.

Fallon – I’d love to see your art work as well some day – soon? I meant to ask you how that soapbox event went. Hope today’s meeting brings new, like-minded friends into your life.

Bluefox – Where are you?? I thought of you yesterday as I was (finally) planting that baby blue spruce :).

To All – I’ve set up a popcorn bar (with all the fixins’ and toppings) near the outdoor kitchen. Looks like we’re going to need a lot of it given the News of the Nation.

Have a wonderful day, All!

Opinionator on May 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

*crunch*

*munch*

*crunch*

Thanks, OP. I’ll have to think about how to show my art. Funny thing. I keep getting rid of more and more of it. Stuff I did years ago now feels too distant from me.

The soapbox event was fun, serious and silly. I did not get up to rant as there were plenty of people ready to go with speeches and background music and the like.

One story was AMAZING. A man who was born in Cuba was asked to speak. He hadn’t planned on speaking either. His father spent three years in a Cuban prison before the family was able to come to the U.S. He spoke passionately about what America was to his family. Freedom. The ability to prosper or fail by your own choices and decisions. It was a great, very inspirational, not a dry eye in the place. Then… he ended his speech with, “I’ve already lost one country, I don’t want to lose another.”

*gulp*

Wow.

Anyway, yesterday’s meet-up was about learning more about political Islam. (http://www.politicalislam.com/) I haven’t received the reading and listening material yet, as they are being passed around member to member but interesting and scary stuff.

We are also going to watch the documentary, Losing Our Sons:

Fallon on May 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I was afraid I was going to lose my post due to refresh…

Anyway, we are to get back together in a month or so to discuss everything. I’m not sure where this is going to lead but it’s good to have all the pertinent information as a mosque is proposed in a residential area for the second year in a row a couple of towns over.

The first year it was turned down due to various zoning issues. The backers of the mosque then bankrolled some candidates that were elected to the zoning and county boards, defeating members who turned it down. So the backers of the mosque promptly resubmitted the plans again. There is already talk of the elderly neighbors being taunted and threatened. “So, Mr. Neighbor, I sure hope you’ve purchased life insurance for your family” and things like that. It does not look good…

Welcome to the new America, Chicago and Islamic thug style.

Fallon on May 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

From Facebook:

Scandalous Hat Trick

Mr. President, when it rains it pours, but most Americans hold their own umbrellas. Today in the Rose Garden you dismissed the idea of a Special Counsel to investigate the IRS scandal. With that, your galling political hubris shined bright in the midst of today’s dark clouds.

Mr. President, how can we trust your Justice Department to conduct an independent investigation when there is a systemic violation of the Hatch Act throughout your administration?

Surely you are aware that the Hatch Act prevents certain federal employees from engaging in political activity. Specifically, it’s illegal for these federal employees to engage in action in support of or in opposition to a political party, a candidate for partisan political office, or a partisan political group.

Yet that is exactly what’s happened within the IRS, the Justice Department, and in the Benghazi cover-up. This scandalous hat trick is on your watch. It is not believable that you knew nothing about Obama administration actions in dealing with these scandals. And in regards to Benghazi, when you should have taken appropriate action to save American lives – for instance by calling in the Marines – you were AWOL. Just weeks before the election your team scrubbed the Benghazi talking points in 12 different versions, lied to the American people about some YouTube video being to blame for the deaths of brave Americans who put our country first, and you prove Michael Barone right when he writes, “What actually happened in Benghazi was out of sync with the Obama campaign line.” That’s why you all did what you did. Pure raw politics were at play during a horrific time of loss.

For more evidence of Hatch Act violations right under your nose, simply consider DOJ’s “massive and unprecedented intrusion” into the free press. Do you think they picked up some political talk when tapping the phones in the House press gallery?

Your team is out of control. Those who cannot remember the past and learn from it are doomed to repeat it, and that is exactly what is happening. Look back exactly 40 years ago this week and apply that disheartening chapter of American history to the team you’ve chosen and lead today.

Some of us warned America; we cautioned voters in 2008 that a community organizer with no executive experience and no sense of accountability would be a very poor choice for the nation’s top management position.

Mr. President, you said today that you have “complete confidence” in the Attorney General. America doesn’t. Eric Holder needs to appoint an unbiased Special Counsel to investigate the illegal political action of this administration. And then Eric Holder needs to resign.

Most Americans see ominous dark clouds looming beyond the White House Rose Garden, Mr. President. They’ll roll away only when light is shined on the Obama administration’s antics, and America will only recover when you cease avoiding responsibility in this mission of yours to fundamentally transform America. For that to happen, the press had better learn from their experiences of being duped and provide a deserving public fairer, more intelligent coverage.

Speaking of coverage, glad you finally called in the Marines… shame it was just to hold your umbrella.

– Sarah Palin

Fallon on May 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Fallon on May 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM

…Thanks!…I don’t usually check out her website often…(because I’m afraid… I’d become a ‘disciple’)…so I appreciate these kind of posts!

KOOLAID2 on May 17, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Opinionator on May 15, 2013 at 12:41 PM

…I know this sounds crazy!…but you sound healthier!

KOOLAID2 on May 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM

We hope good things happen, too!

INC on May 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM

…(I just crossed my fingers!)

KOOLAID2 on May 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Than what?

Opinionator on May 17, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Fallon on May 16, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Thanks for this quote and also your description of the meeting. The Cuban man said it all.

In this case, I believe Sarah is being too kind. He doesn’t want us to recover from his mission. He wants to destroy us; that is his mission.

Opinionator on May 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM

– Sarah Palin

BOOM!!!

Gohawgs on May 17, 2013 at 3:29 AM

Love the smell of popcorn in the morning…

From upstairs QOTD:

Schmoe’s (Joe Scarborough) rant about BACKGROUND CHECKS is actually amusing today:

“This IRS scandal is making me look like an idiot wanting background checks!!”

Hilarious.

Marcus on May 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Yup.

Happy Friday. Coffee’s on. There was a Bmore sighting last night on QOTD and I’ve seen some of Steebo’s clever posts upstairs, too. Boys! It’s time to check in. Mama’s worried. And, Bluefox, we’re holding a chair next to Sophie’s for you complete with coffee and cookies.

Fallon on May 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM

– Sarah Palin

BOOM!!!

Gohawgs on May 17, 2013 at 3:29 AM

loved that one …..

US Marine: No better friend …. No worse enemy ….

conservative tarheel on May 17, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Fallon on May 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Checking in it is, then.

Made the Chicago Tea Party meeting Monday. Sparsely attended, though hopefully the IRS affront will encourage greater participation going forward. State Rep. Jeanne Ives held forth and was rather informative on procedures and outlook for the state house. Both parties recognize the significance of the Illinois pension crisis, though the solution sets under consideration are inadequate to the task. June 9 deadline for passage of a concealed carry law, in the absence of which “constitutional carry” (nice ring, that) would automatically take effect. She informed us that the democrat majority is considering making last year’s 2/3 ‘temporary’ state tax increase permanent, and instituting graduated individual rates, with its concomitant potential for serious economic damage. Notably, the representative said she saw no adequate potential candidate for governor on the horizon.

wolfsDad on May 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM

wolfsDad on May 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I’ve always meant to attend one of the Chicago meetings. I heard someone on Rush today say that they weren’t going to post political things on facebook anymore. People are a bit freaked out.

Heck, I decided to wear my Organize for Palin t-shirt to workout in on Wednesday. Some guy just kept looking over at me the whole time. He even kept moving closer and closer. He may have just thought I was cute but, more likely, the shirt got his attention, lol. I was ready to engage him in banter no matter which angle he took but then he just walked away. I’m thinking of wearing my 2010 Nashville Tea Party Convention shirt next week. Heck. It’s not like the government doesn’t know already, lol.

Thanks for the check-in, wolfsDad.

Fallon on May 17, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Dress Blues

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Punk

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Hope

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Bmore – nice to see you in these here parts :)

Dress Blues is shudder worthy. The spider drones in Punk are as well. . . even (especially) on the flag. I like how you’ve framed prior works in that one, too. Well done!

Bluefox – you have the nicest corner and furniture of all. . Come back!

wolfsDad, CT, hawgs – good to see y’all, too!

Fallon – I figure since I’m signed up for the local TP and my med records ‘note’ I’m a smoker, I’m pretty much toast on all counts lol. Wish I had a Sarah Tee; I’d wear it proudly.

Opinionator on May 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Bmore – Saw Hope framed in Punk :).

Suggestion: Hope and Chains

Opinionator on May 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Dress Blues

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Chilling…

Punk

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 7:20 PM

He’s definitely leaking steam from his big ole ears. Yup, hit him where he’s vulnerable, lol. Scratch a liberal, find a fascist punk. (The framed pics, too funny.)

Hope

Bmore on May 17, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Nice lapel pin, lol. So good to see you back and see what you’ve been working on.

I’m going to nominate you for The National Medal of Arts when Cruz and Palin head to DC.

Fallon on May 18, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Opinionator on May 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Oh my gosh, I went to my emails, a bit late this morning, and a number of friends watched Hating Breitbart last night. Apparently, hubby and I are in the movie. They called it a “small cameo”, lol.

Grrr…. I wish it had been after I lost my weight but WTH I am honored to be in the film. Sorry for the bragging, I’m on cloud nine this morning.

Fallon on May 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Hi, everyone!

Just checking in for a minute to say hello before I start getting ready for my son’s wedding.

It’s a happy day!

INC on May 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

It’s a happy day!

INC on May 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Enjoy the day! So happy for you and your family. Congrats and best wishes to the your son and his bride.

Fallon on May 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Whenever Andrew Breitbart saw that somebody was being unfairly maligned by the institutional Left, he became that person’s stalwart defender. Sarah Palin, perhaps more than any other person in recent history, endured the full weight of what Breitbart called the “Democrat-media complex,” and so Sarah Palin had no more fierce a defender than Andrew Breitbart.

Fallon on May 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Fallon on May 18, 2013 at 11:23 AM

What Fallon said.

Is it really de rigueur for the husband to attend a baby shower nowadays? Color me relict.

wolfsDad on May 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Oh, and Opinionator, it’s always good to see you, too. The distaff contingent of the Gulch is quite the excellent collection.

wolfsDad on May 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

wolfsDad on May 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Thank you, Kind Sir. We wimin wish to weave tapestries of love and comfort in spite of it all. But then, you already knew that, our erudite one. . .

Fallon on May 18, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Congratulations, Fallon! We are extremely proud of you and your hubby for shining the light alongside Breitbart! How cool is that?!!! I need to find out how to see the film. And I need to read the Breitbart story re Sarah. Thanks very much.

I think I also need to change my name to CatchUp – or Ketchup since I’m a foodie :)

INC – Cannot wait to hear wedding stories. . . hope it was perfect!

Night All – tired now. .

Sleep very tightly :)

Opinionator on May 19, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Good morning everyone.

Have a great day.

Thanks for the Breitbart quote Fallon. It’s why we still post here, with no apparent hope in sight.

renalin on May 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Good afternoon everyone … just brought over a light salad

2 cans of chickpeas well rinsed

3-4 Roma Tomatoes chopped

1 english cuke / regular cuke seeded chopped

1/2 red onion / sweet onion chopped

3/4 bottle Italian dressing …

s & p to taste.

mix together .. let sit over night in fridge … enjoy.

conservative tarheel on May 19, 2013 at 1:04 PM