Report: Palin parts ways with Fox News

posted at 6:51 pm on January 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

Her choice, not theirs, according to a source who spoke to RCP.

After a three-year run as a paid contributor to the nation’s highest-rated cable news channel, Sarah Palin and FOX News have cut ties, according to a source close to the former Alaska governor.

“It’s my understanding that Gov. Palin was offered a contract by FOX, and she decided not to renew the arrangement,” the source close to Palin told RCP. “She remains focused on broadening her message of common-sense conservatism across the country and will be expanding her voice in the national discussion.”

The source declined to say whether Palin would pursue a television contract with another news network, such as CNN.

Not surprising given what happened last year at the convention, although the Times claims she and Fox were negotiating a new contract as recently as last week. Maybe she has another offer on the table that’s sweeter than theirs?

My first thought when I read the RCP piece was that Mark Begich is up for reelection next year and is already preparing for a strong conservative challenge, but NRO’s Robert Costa tweets some skepticism:

I thought challenging Begich, a weak blue incumbent in a very red state, was her best bet back to political office, but maybe she’s transitioned to Arizona now. (Costa hears that she’s still occasionally in touch with Joe Miller, who appears to be planning to challenge Begich himself.) If not politics, then what? Hard to believe she’d trade Fox for CNN. Maybe … Glenn Beck’s network, The Blaze? It had 300,000 online subscribers as of last summer and must have many more now, especially since Dish Network started airing it in September. And Beck’s aggressively trying to promote it, from making a bid on Current TV to gain a platform on basic cable to opening foreign bureaus in hopes of becoming a sort of libertarian alternative to Fox. She’d instantly raise the network’s profile and bring in new viewers. And there’s plenty of room on the programming schedule for her: The channel currently airs from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET with a two-hour block free from 2-4 so they could give her her own show if that’s what she has in mind. If I had to bet, I’d bet that’s where she goes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 47 48 49 50 51 120

An inspirational Facebook posting by Sarah about her sister Heather.

WOW

bluefox on April 26, 2013 at 6:41 PM

First! LOL

bluefox on April 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Congratulations, bluefox!

Now everyone’s going to compete to Bishop page 50!

INC on April 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Fallon, I’m so glad to here you were able to visit with your mom this week, and to have those special times to talk with her. I never knew that about adrenaline and seizures. Hugs to you!

INC on April 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM

…headed to the AARP page!…good for you bluefox

…about my ma…thanks you guys!…but she is begging to go…and I am praying that she goes…
…this is a woman who in her 80′s was backpacking around Europe and Asia with kids…and looked at ‘youth hostels’ as Hyatt Hotels…at 88 she had major colon surgery the doctors thought she wouldn’t survive…at 89 a semi ran over her car…(she thought she saw a ‘shadow coming’)…we found that story out after cataract surgery…
We have a family reunion in Hilton Head every summer…and the next summer I noticed she couldn’t recognize the grand kids from 10 yards away (macular degeneration)…so… got a promise that her girlfriends would drive her car…anywhere she had to go…a month later her girlfriends admitted …my ma must still be driving…since she’d miss her driveway and was parking on the lawn…next to it!…had to go get her car and give it to my sister.
At 90 she was riding elephants in Thailand and sleeping in dirt floored huts…and the next year canoeing in the Philippines for a month… sleeping on boards on posts above the water…the last year…at 92… a China trip…since she had never picked up a pair of those pants some of the natives wore…where they could squat…the back seam would part…and they could sh!t…stand up…and continue on their way!
Then she found she had 1/2 of an aorta functioning for her heart when you should have two…and the doctors gave her a year…or two at the most to live…congestive heart failure!…that’s 3 years ago now…the problem is every other indicators regarding pulse…blood pressure…etc….is like a 30 year old…a year ago she fell down a flight of stairs…dislocated and broke bones in her shoulder…and 13 places in her foot…and no one knew it for two days until she grimaced… getting up one time! The last few months my sister had been spending most of the day trying to get her to eat…and after months of that…I had her consult with her doctors and called in the Hospice people. They told her to quit ‘forcing’ her to eat…and give her what ‘she’ wants…which since March 3rd…has been Ensure and V-8 juice and some chocolate periodically. She still talks to me on the phone! She looks like an Auschwitz survivor!….she’s had enough…but her body won’t quit…and she still has a sense of humor!…she says “Good Morning…Afternoon or Evening”…since she never knows what time of the day it is….and when I assured her that I had her “Cremation” arrangements handled…she told me to make sure she wasn’t mixed in with cats and dogs!
Yep!…we all want her to have her wish!

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Opinionator, somehow I’d previously missed that you’re an attorney. I’m not surprised, given your gift for words and flowing expression.

I once went from being a word processor at an engineering firm to being legal secretary to general counsel and his associate at a multi-company corporation. At the engineering firm I corrected grammar and sentences all the time on the huge bids. When I went to work for the attorneys it was night and day shock.

INC on April 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Thanks for telling us about your mom! What an adventurer!

INC on April 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Opinionator on April 26, 2013 at 4:05 AM

…Hi Op!…TD‘s ok!…we all get territorial and piss to mark our spots once in a while…and get used to each other…he’s a brother…and like every sibling…you’ll like him after awhile!

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I can’t believe all the things she’s tried and done. She’s obviously a kick to know and a special mom.

INC on April 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

What a wonderful story! All this since her 80′s! WOW!

She has lead an incredible life, would love to hear about her escapades as a younger 50 yr old! :-)

I pray that her going home will be as peaceful as can be…

Thank you so so much for sharing her incredible story…

God Bless you KA2 {hugs}

Scrumpy on April 26, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Next week our son graduates from college! A few weeks after that is his wedding.

I finally found a dress to wear for the wedding. It’s peach-colored and looks really good with my red hair. It has a lace short-sleeved top with covered buttons down the front, and the back is one long panel joined to a narrower fabric panel at an above-the-waist horizontal seam with satin piping and a small centered satin bow over a back pleat in the lower panel. The skirt is gathered at the waist and two-layered of thin crepe over a lining. It’s well-constructed of good fabric, and I was able to find it at a local charity shop for probably about 1/8 to a 1/10 of it’s original price. This was a blessing.

INC on April 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM

INC on April 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM

…you know someone can write…when something you can wear…sounds like something…you could EAT!

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM

The French marriage movement, The March For All, now has a duplicate site in English.

This is now the URL for the original site:

INC on April 26, 2013 at 10:05 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Well, it looks delicious, but I’ll try to refrain from gnawing on the hem!

INC on April 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

That made me smile. She sounds a little like a favorite aunt of mine who was a world traveler and mentor to me. I felt the bitter sweetness of such a remarkable woman at the end of her life but what more is there left for her to do? She lived her life to the fullest. It must frustrate her to have her bags backed for her final trip and be delayed.

(((Koolaid))), what I really like about Hospice is their emphasis on a dignified and comfortable passing. That is all I want.

Fallon on April 27, 2013 at 9:15 AM

It’s peach-colored and looks really good with my red hair.

INC on April 26, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Your dress sounds absolutely beautiful. What a find. A redhead, eh? No wonder you’re so feisty, lol. My youngest sister and brother are redheads and I have a sprinkling of redhead nieces, nephews and grandnephews in the family, too. One of my daughters had copper colored hair as a baby but sadly, it darkened as she grew older. Have I said how much I love red hair? :)

Your son has an amazing future ahead, INC. Congrats on raising him so well.

Fallon on April 27, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Congratulations, bluefox!

Now everyone’s going to compete to Bishop page 50!

INC on April 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM

It was a surprise to me, I just had a couple of Sarah items to post and then page 49 popped up:-)

Oh yes a race to p 50!

Your dress sounds gorgeous! A graduation and then a wedding means you are going to be a busy lady. Good times, wish you and your son many blessings as he goes forward. I know you are so proud as you should be.

God Bless you all!!

bluefox on April 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM

KOOLAID2 on April 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Thanks Mr. Kool. I can’t believe your Mom!! All of that and at that age has to set a record. I’ve never heard of such a woman, or man for that matter:-) I know my mouth was open when reading that, LOL I kept saying to myself, are you kidding me? What a woman.

You most certainly need to write a book about her. “My Superwoman Mom”or something. At least an article in a magazine.

And then her medical issues and she came thru all of that. And now she still has her sense of humor. So very touching. My Doctor would say, good genes and good stock:-)

What great memories you have of her life. Appreciate you sharing this with us!

God Bless her and you and the family during this time.

bluefox on April 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Nice to see Scrumpy flying around on last night’s QOTD, LOL Back to her spritely self!

Well, nice day here Gulchers. I’m starting my Spring cleaning, windows, curtains etc. Had to mow last week in between the rain.

I have 7 baby hosta plants about 3-4″ high and want to separate them into a long planter. Then will transplant them into the side beds. It’s so hard to do if they are allowed to grow too large.

We’e trying to decide whether to make one or two raised beds in the back for veggies since that area gets sun from morning until it sets.

My annual Robin makes her nest in a corner of the spouting and by the sounds I hear, babies are chirping:-) Will take a peek later.

Love Spring!

Wishing you all a great day too.

bluefox on April 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM

God Bless you all!!

bluefox on April 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM

And, to you, too, bluefox. I am just not with it lately. Belated congrats on the page turn. Forty nine and holding.

Fifty will be quite a Gulch celebration and then… on to 57! One for every state in the union (h/t koolaid.)

I spent yesterday rototilling and raking out daughter’s garden. I’m a bit sore today but her beds look great. I have one more area to prepare and then, she’s on her own… not really. I’ll be helping her with here first attempt at a garden. It should be fun.

Fallon on April 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

One for every state in the union (h/t koolaid.)

Fallon on April 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

lol. Now that h/t I’m going to steal!

Busy, busy gardeners! I’m so impressed by you and bluefox.

INC on April 27, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Lately I’ve been remembering when my son was a two-year-old, and we’d sit on the sofa in the living room, and I’d teach him his alphabet.

We had two of the Lauri hard foam puzzles. One was lower case and one was upper case letters. The letters were yellow and the background was blue. I’d make up silly games about the letters eating blueberries and he’d laugh and laugh.

He always loved over the counter medicine, and his sister hated all of it. When he was three, he became mad at me because I wouldn’t give him the chewable Tylenol his sister had to take when she was sick. I put the lid on it, and placed it back on the top shelf in the kitchen. I went upstairs to hunt under the beds for stray socks, and a few minutes later he came up to me and said, “Mommy, I ate all the Tylenol.” He had climbed onto the counter, stood on it to reach the top shelf and opened the “child-proof” top to get into it.

This meant a call to the doctor, and his dad met us at the emergency room. Our sick daughter had to come as well, and spent a few miserable hours in the waiting room. Our son had to drink activated charcoal to absorb the medicine, but he wouldn’t do it for me, so the nurse made me leave the room while she got him to drink it. Meanwhile the doctor told my husband that he thought our son had ingested a lethal amount of Tylenol (I didn’t know this until later). This was frightening because if he hadn’t told me about eating the medicine, by the time I saw symptoms, his liver would have been damaged or worse. We always thought and knew the Lord prompted him to come to me and tell me so that his life would be preserved.

When he was about four or five, his sister, who is a few years older taught him to read. The first big books she’d read were the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and so she wanted to be a schoolmarm. I had an old prairie-style dress bordered in eyelet which I gave to her. She would put it on and have her brother sit at his desk while she instructed him.

He was the voice of caution when our daughter would have one of her creative ideas about rearranging the bunk beds in her room or boiling crayons on the stove—when the wax started hitting the microwave and popping over the stove, he grabbed a pan lid and covered the mess.

He’s always been thoughtful and generous from the time he was a little boy. When his sister was having a tough time being tormented by some other kids, he empathized with her to the extent of having his tummy tied up in knots, and we had to take him to Children’s Hospital in Boston. As you can guess, he was sensitive, and I used to sit with him and wait until he could tell me what was bothering him. Some of my hardest moments as a mom were seeing him upset or hurt.

We had a dog and a cat. We got the cat when he was only three, and both children were very attached to her. The cat spent time sprawled at the top of the stairs (our daughter broke a toe tripping over her in the dark), and I remember seeing our son race up the stairs, briefly lay his head on kitty’s back, give her a hug, and then resume his zooming.

He did have his moments. Scribbling on the hall wall, and once chasing his sister with a baseball bat, and she ran to the bathroom and slammed the door just in time. He proceeded to hit the door (it was solid so there were only a few dents). When he realized there were no phone jacks in his bedroom, he unplugged all the phones in the house and boxed them up and hid them!

He and his friends took the screen off his bedroom window and threw his little green army men into the snow on top of the family room roof that abutted his room. Years later he told me that another time he had climbed out onto the roof (I was glad I didn’t know this at the time).

As a teenager he and his friends went to a new level of playing army. They had camo and airsoft guns, and one of the dads owned some wooded acres. They’d go out all day and come home happy and filthy.

They took courses together at a homeschool co-op, and later at the local community college. Because we lived close to it, they were in and out of our house. Those were the days when we’d have about 7 or 8 pairs of shoes parked by the front door, and I’d cook pizza and it would be gone instantaneously. I remember frying a pound of bacon one time, I put it on a platter; the guys came in, swooped, and it was gone.

They are great guys—our daughter has always said that they’re the best advertisement for homeschooling—almost all of them worked part-time jobs as soon as they were old enough to do so. I still remember that birthday when my son was able to use his paycheck to give me a gift certificate for my birthday.

His math courses quickly outdistanced my expertise, but he still asked me to read over his papers. He was fortunate to have a adjunct history instructor who had taught at West Point, and my son received A’s on his two papers—one was on the Battle of Saratoga, and I think the other was on Midway. I was so proud of that. For another class he decided to do a pro-life paper on Plan B (notice how he is related to me!) Later when we had to move, and he had transferred to a four-year college, there were phone calls about papers that he’d e-mail to me, I’d print them out, and then we’d discuss them.

Today his friends are young men, and one has already done a stint in the Army, one is in the Air Force, another is in the Navy, and two in R.O.T.C. Three will be my son’s best man and two of his groomsmen.

We taught the children Bible stories, prayed with them, took them to AWANA, and went with them to church, but God used our daughter to make an impression on her brother when he was almost four and a half. One day in May my husband and I were sitting on our back screen porch and talking when our son ran out excitedly, and said, “Mommy, Daddy, I just asked Jesus into my heart.” We asked him what had happened, and he told us that his sister had told him that he needed to ask Jesus into his heart or he would go to hell. She said this to him out of concern, and her motives were the best.

Well, we were rejoiced with him, but because we knew that sometimes children make a confession that is only repeating what they’ve heard we watched and waited. Over the months it was clear that he had known what he was doing—he had truly believed in his heart and his confession was real.

Now in the season of our lives we’re in, he comforts me, prays for me and tries to build up my faith and trust in God.

Children are a blessing.

INC on April 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

INC on April 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

…thank you!…for that ^ ^ ^

KOOLAID2 on April 27, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Children are a blessing.

INC on April 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Indeed. So are their mothers.

wolfsDad on April 27, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Hey, guys! I’m glad you enjoyed it!

INC on April 28, 2013 at 12:16 AM

INC on April 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Beautiful memories… It goes by in a flash, doesn’t it?

Fallon on April 28, 2013 at 9:05 AM

From FB, Sarah Palin on the White House Correspondence Dinner:

Yuk it up media and pols. While America is buried in taxes and a fight for our rights, the permanent political class in DC dresses up and has a prom to make fun of themselves. No need for that, we get the real joke.

:-D

Fallon on April 28, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Fallon, yes, it does.

While they’re little some days seem so long, but when they’re grown it seems like it happened overnight.

INC on April 28, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Sarah is right about the WHCD. I discovered last night for the first time that they do a red carpet for it—something is seriously wrong with these people. Pols, media, and Hollywood—the three groups responsible for doing immeasurable harm to America.

INC on April 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM

bluefox on April 27, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Fallon on April 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

No problem dear, as I understand what you are going thru.
57, LOL

Oh, that garden work finds muscles you didn’t know you even had:-)
That sounds like fun and I’m sure she will appreciate your help & knowledge. Even small kiddos like to plant dry beans in a styrofoam cup with soil and watch it grow!

bluefox on April 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Children are a blessing.

INC on April 27, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Enjoyed reading that INC. It’s amazing how even when babies, they have their own distinct personalities:-) I’m sure all Moms can relate to your comments!!

bluefox on April 28, 2013 at 5:35 PM

:-D

Fallon on April 28, 2013 at 9:07 AM

The Governor weighed in again via Twitter:

That #WHCD was pathetic. The rest of America is out there working our asses off while these DC assclowns throw themselves a #nerdprom

Oh, their undies are twisted now, LOL

bluefox on April 28, 2013 at 5:48 PM

A little late getting here friends!

INC what a lovely story, thanks for sharing it with us!

I sincerely hope everyone is well and blessed!

I believe I mentioned I was giving up following the news as I had in the past, it consumed me, and since I have been news ‘free’ I feel great!!

I scan the headlines and that’s all…

I baked some deliciously ooey gooey chewy chocolate brownies!!

Fresh lemonade in the ‘fridge… Help yourselves!!

The place looks wonderful and relaxing, so shabby chic!!

Later Gulchers :-D

* swoosh *

Scrumpy on April 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM

…just don’t feel like doing the threads upstairs today…SOS…same derailing trolls…it gets old!

KOOLAID2 on April 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Hey, bluefox & scrumpy! Thanks!

I’ve been to too many stores the last week. My feet hurt from looking for heels to wear at the wedding. I usually wear sandals or flats with a dress, but I need to go a little bit more uptown for this.

KOOLAID2 on April 29, 2013 at 10:24 PM

That it does.

INC on April 29, 2013 at 10:50 PM

*knock, knock, knock*

Bmore.

*knock, knock, knock*

Bmore.

*knock, knock, knock*

Bmore.

Are you out there?

Fallon on April 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I decided to pop in upstairs but I’d rather just sit down here and listen to the spring peepers. Koolaid, more lemonade? Hmmm, that sounds weird. How ’bout a chewy, delicious brownie?

Mom’s not really all that good, just better than before. It is what it is.

Fallon on April 29, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Feeling a little weird tonight… Time to call in the dogs.

Fallon on April 29, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Sorry, you’re feeling weird. Are you restless over your mom?

INC on April 29, 2013 at 11:53 PM

INC on April 29, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Anyway, how did the interview go?

wolfsDad on April 29, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I haven’t seen Bmore in a while.

INC on April 29, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Anyway, how did the interview go?

wolfsDad on April 29, 2013 at 11:53 PM

My husband hasn’t done the second interview face to face yet. After I posted about the first interview, my husband gave me additional info that the guy was going to have to get approval to spend money on travel. We’re still waiting to hear.

INC on April 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM

It appears a face to face wasn’t in the original plan. I’m not sure what factors made him change his mind. My husband had told him when they set up the first interview that he was willing to skype.

Even though requesting a DOB is illegal, you can tell from my husband’s resume that he’s in his 60′s. We do both look younger than we are! :)

I do have a concern that about discrimination because of age. This is the kind of thing where your mind goes around and around. I don’t know if the guy wants to have other people meet him or see if he’s hale and hearty.

INC on April 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM

INC on April 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Oh well. At least it isn’t necessarily bad news. Stay strong, The Lord will see you through.

wolfsDad on April 30, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Thanks, wolfsDad.

INC on April 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Our son at least has an excellent job starting July 1. His final final is tomorrow. Next week I’ll let y’all know how high his GPA is. :)

It’s been kind of hard having no job and no money when he’s graduating and getting married. My son actually sent me money from his scholarship stipend for clothes for me. My mom has paid for my shoes and some extras.

His fiance’s parents are Christians and are being very kind. They’re paying for food for the rehearsal dinner, which I think we’re going to do at the church.

It’s not at all what I would have envisioned at this point in our lives, but our kids have been great.

INC on April 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Sorry, you’re feeling weird. Are you restless over your mom?

INC on April 29, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Sorry, headed off to bed last night. You’re right. Probably about mom but also about the conservative soapbox meeting on Sunday. There is real fear in people’s voices as they talk of the direction America is heading. An amazing man whose family came from Cuba spoke. As a child, he didn’t know that the USA participated in WWII. The state run schools only taught of the heroics of Russia. It was chilling.

Fallon on April 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Good advice from wolfsdad, stay strong.

INC, I’m certain the wedding will be wonderful and I can’t wait to hear your son’s GPA. So much to be thankful for in the midst of all of this turmoil and strife.

Fallon on April 30, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Wow, talk about a lack of self awareness. After I typed turmoil and strife, I realized I’m anxious about my mom, the country AND my husband’s company just lost their biggest client. 60% of their business just went away with the receipt of a letter.

Boy, did I try not to think about that but there it is. We just paid in a big ole chunk of taxes and now this. We’ll be okay, I think, but it was a blindside. Hubby is optimistic, says they’ll have to reinvent themselves again. It’s happened twice since 2008. I’m so glad he didn’t build this business… *Spit!*

Fallon on April 30, 2013 at 8:08 AM

just stopping by to say hi and see what you all have done to the place….

looks around…. looks good. nice home imporvements.

unseen on April 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Aw, just made the mistake of too many links… Time to take a break, lol.

Fallon on April 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Fallon on April 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I’m thinkin’ we should also pick up a couple of these for Gulchers who like to be rocked to sleep.

And more Mama Griz rotisseries for the pit. . .

The outdoor kitchen expansion is coming along nicely.

Doin’ a little spring Lodge cleaning today. . .those delicious brownie crumbs are drawing ants. Shaking out the rugs, cleaning some windows and airing out our place.

Oh, forgot to mention I ordered lots of these. We’re going to need them this Summer.

Opinionator on April 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Opinionator on April 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Awesome, I like the way you think, OP. Nice additions. Oh, and I love the outdoor kitchen. There’d be no reason to go indoors with a set-up like that.

Fallon on April 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM

There’d be no reason to go indoors with a set-up like that.

Fallon on April 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Precipitation-free? Sounds more like the Glade than the Gulch.

Hi, Opinionator. Good to see you. Quite the curriculum vitae you have there.

wolfsDad on April 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM

…I have to share this with the Gulchers…I told you the other day about my 95 year old active mother…who the last couple of years has been hampered from being active… from dementia and macular degeneration… that was robbing her of her ability to read, and the mobility to be on her own…fell down a flight of stairs…etc. She begged the doctors and her kids… “to let her go”! …and we have prayed that she be able to go “peacefully…in her sleep”…and not in a hospital…or in pain.
She has refused solid foods for a couple of months…and only would drink Ensures and various types of V-8 Juices she liked…not even her farvorite food would entice her… soft V E G E T A B L E S…of any kind…the only thing better to her… would be… C H O C O L A T E!
…for Birthday…Christmas…any special occassion…no gift was better than Godiva Chocolate…Christmas?…Boxes of it!…so she could have one… a day…or two if she felt like spoiling herself…EVERY day! … and she would remind you that you can’t “savor” clothes… or other gifts…for 20 years…only Godiva or some premium candy would make her happy.
This morning my sister checked to see that she was peacfully sleeping…and an hour later…when she went to wake her up…she didn’t respond…but she noticed that at the corners of her mouth…was chocolate!…
Next to her bed is a nightstand with boxes of Godiva… behind the door… and one…in the drawer itself. None looked like they had been opened…so sis never messed… with ‘her stash’….the empty boxes on the bottom behind the door had all the wrappers in them and the boxes looked fresh!…so… what kind of dementia is that?
When she called me crying…to tell me that mom finally” had her wish”…I’ve experienced laughing myself to tears before…but I have never started with tears (and when she told me about the Godiva boxes)…started belly laughing…making her do the same…for minutes! …a very wierd experience. A couple of people came into my office to see what was going on since I was laughing so hard…I could hardly talk…but I gave them a quick “my mom just died”…they walked out immediately! …it was wierd for a while!…. C H O C O L A T E!
That little woman was… “HER OWN Woman”…even at the end!
…had to share…sad…but thank you Lord…I’m smiling!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM

INC on April 30, 2013 at 12:02 AM

…people are finding more and more…that the older workers can run rings around the ‘kids’ who are used to having things handed to them…I’m 60…they think I’m 50…and the 30 and 40 year olds can’t keep up…their work is like a nap…(if that makes sense!)…they work like they’re groggy or something!…I have faith in your situation!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM

KOOLAID2

My condolences to you and your family…

Gohawgs on May 1, 2013 at 3:17 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Aww {{{Kool}}} – I find myself crying but with a smile in my heart, too. What an extraordinary woman! I’m so happy she did it her way all the way home! I honor you and her now and send my hugs.

Love to you, Kool.

A year after my Mom died, she appeared to me in a dream – surrounded by light, extremely beautiful, in her prime, with a radiant smile. . . and let me know she was with me still.

I am certain your Mom will be there with open arms when she one day welcomes you home.

Setting up a permanent basket and supply of Godiva chocolates on the sideboard so we can keep her here with us, too.

Opinionator on May 1, 2013 at 3:23 AM

C H O C O L A T E!
That little woman was… “HER OWN Woman”…even at the end!
…had to share…sad…but thank you Lord…I’m smiling!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I’m smiling through tears, too. What a marvelous woman. I usually say “sorry” when someone dies, but your mom’s case it doesn’t sound like the right thing to say. I wish I had known her.

Continue to celebrate your mom, Koolaid.

And, OP, we will keep that basket of Godiva chocolates fully stocked but I feel like we should sneak one or two for breakfast this morning, in Koolaid’s mom’s honor. And, chocolate goes very well with coffee…

Fallon on May 1, 2013 at 7:58 AM

it was wierd for a while!…. C H O C O L A T E!
That little woman was… “HER OWN Woman”…even at the end!
…had to share…sad…but thank you Lord…I’m smiling!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Smiling and tearful with you :-)

You have been blessed with a wonderful Mother and you a wonderful Son!

Gods’ arms were open to bring her close and comfort her and now she lives in Glory!

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful yet sad story!

I am honoured to have that glimpse…

God Speed KA2s’ Mom!!!

Scrumpy on May 1, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Happy May Day!!

Just a few little quotes for today…

“The world’s favorite season is the spring.
All things seem possible in May.”
- Edwin Way Teale

“‘Tis like the birthday of the world,
When earth was born in bloom;
The light is made of many dyes,
The air is all perfume:
There’s crimson buds, and white and blue,
The very rainbow showers
Have turned to blossoms where they fell,
And sown the earth with flowers.”
- Thomas Hood

“The month of May was come, when every lusty heart beginneth to blossom, and to bring forth fruit; for like as herbs and trees bring forth fruit and flourish in May, in likewise every lusty heart that is in any manner a lover, springeth and flourisheth in lusty deeds. For it giveth unto all lovers courage, that lusty month of May.”
- Sir Thomas Malory, Le Morte d’Arthur

‘But I must gather knots of flowers,
And buds and garlands gay,
For I’m to be Queen o’ the May, mother,
I’m to be Queen o’ the May.’
- Alfred Lord Tennyson

“The young May moon is beaming, love.
The glow-worm’s lamp is gleaming, love.
How sweet to rove,
Through Morna’s grove,
When the drowsy world is dreaming, love!
Then awake! — the heavens look bright, my dear,
‘Tis never too late for delight, my dear,
And the best of all ways
To lengthen our days
Is to steal a few hours from the night, my dear!”
- Thomas Moore, The Young May Moon

God Bless!!

Scrumpy on May 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Condolences for your loss. Compliments for your sister. God bless you and yours.

wolfsDad on May 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Scrumpy on May 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Thank you! All are quite beautiful. . I noticed a poetic exchange you had with Rusty (I think it was) on QOTD the other night. You are quite gifted in that department as well, m’Dear!

Thank you, too, Fallon for morning delights and all your fabulous Gulch additions yesterday. I woke up and immediately needed to come here – thinking of Kool and his Mom. I will always remember Scrumpy’s words: “And now she lives in Glory!” How perfect is that?! Truth.

I need to play catch up regarding other comments that have come my way in the last few days, but today is a deadline for dealing with mortgage related crappo. I will be back later.

I am so grateful that KA2 shared a bit of his Mom with us. I hope your day goes very gently, Kool. .

Opinionator on May 1, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Fallon on April 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Opinionator on April 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Ladies!!

You are rocking it here in the gulch!!

I am gonna have to speak to MG about sprucing up the Glade!!

(Tootin’ me horn)

Restarted a blog, just poems… :-) Hope you get a chance to read ‘em! Click nic… :-)

God Bless all!!

Scrumpy on May 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Scrumpy on May 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM

You are quite the poetess. Half poet, half lioness. :) Your poems are fearless, sultry, sensuous and eloquent.

This is my one and only poem (that I remember):

Ode to the animal dead on the road,
Though I can’t determine your kind.
Was it that you were so frightfully bold?
Or, was it the driver was blind?

(I realize it’s not an ode but the word seemed to go with the rhyme scheme.)

Fallon on May 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM

KA2 … I am sorry for your loss …
my mom has been gone for 20 years … and I still miss her ..
I am glad she got her wish … and I am glad she was able to make
you smile at the end … that is a gift.

sorry I have been gone for a while … been very busy … now that the weather is mostly nice … I got a big honey do list …
honey do that …. honey do this … :D

conservative tarheel on May 1, 2013 at 9:24 PM

hard to believe it has been over 3 months and still going strong …
I havnt noticed the gilled one around …
did the hammer finally fall ?

conservative tarheel on May 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

…Thank You Gulchers for your kind words…everything is copacetic!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Restarted a blog, just poems… :-)

Scrumpy on May 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM

…I love you poems…and it is a very good idea!…they all flow from your heart!
…the other stuff flowed from the gut and heated up the brain…and maybe it wasn’t the treatments wearing off that was solely responsible…for you not feeling so good…

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

…I love your poems

…what a nice site Scrumps ! …how relaxing!…you have your niche!…and we can enjoy it!

KOOLAID2 on May 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Just saw this linked on FB. Looks like Common Core opposition is making it into the media:

…Some critics decry the quality of the standards, including their focus on adding more nonfiction or “informational” text to classrooms, which they argue crowds out literature. Others worry implementation has been so rushed teachers aren’t prepared to teach the standards and students aren’t ready for the tests.

In Kentucky, the first state to replace state exams with tests based on Common Core, the percentage of students meeting math and reading goals dropped by about one-third last year. In New York, some parents and teachers said students froze or broke into tears because they ran out of time to finish new tougher tests in mid-April.

No state has completely pulled out of Common Core, but Utah and Alabama have backed out of the consortium of states working to create computer-based Common Core exams.

Indiana has gone the farthest in slowing things down, thanks to two Indianapolis mothers. Heather Crossin learned of Common Core in the fall of 2011 when her daughter brought home a math book linked to the standards that she found to be weaker than the previous textbook. She was incensed the standards were adopted with little public comment and teamed with another mom to lead a statewide effort to drop the standards. The proposal failed, but lawmakers voted last week to reassess the state’s participation.

“This is an unprecedented loss of local control and we were not going to stand for it,” Ms. Crossin said…

Fallon on May 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM

… everything is copacetic!

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 10:09 PM

I was in the grocery store yesterday and wondered if the candy aisle had any Godiva chocolate. It just happened to have two Godiva chocolate bars, dark chocolate and salted caramel, and they were on sale. I took it as a sign and, well, yes, they did find their way into my cart, lol. It made me smile and I thought of your mom as I purchased them. (((koolaid)))

Fallon on May 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM

hard to believe it has been over 3 months and still going strong …
I havnt noticed the gilled one around …
did the hammer finally fall ?

conservative tarheel on May 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Careful. This is a little like Beetlejuice. We step lightly, have put a fence around the worm bed and Bmore stopped making breadballs.

Heading to FIFTY… and working on a cake:

Classy? http://www.bestparty-ideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/50th-birthday-cake-ideas.jpg

Patriotic? http://bucks.happeningmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/50th-Birthday-Cake-Decorating-Ideas-4.jpg

Or, a beautiful Baked Alaska with a 50 candle on top? http://www.foodnetworktv.com/content-images/0.200909151751399912.jpg

Fallon on May 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 10:13 PM

You have a very good point about me not feeling so good.

Treatment tho has me on the up side! Now if I can ‘fix’ the rest of me :-)

Thank you! {hugs}

It has become a form of ‘therapy’ for me…

Scrumpy on May 2, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Fallon on May 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Happy (soon to be 50) Birthday!!

Which ever you decide to bake, they ALL look so scrummyumtious!!

I would pick all 3 lol!! ;-D

Scrumpy on May 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

God Bless You Everywhere

The beauty and the special warmth
of this time of the year, Brings thoughts of friends and family
The ones I hold so dear. I hope their days are filled with joy And
wishes that come true. That happiness will dominate Throughout the season too; For there is nothing that’s too good For those whose lives I share, So I am sending this to say-
God Bless you everywhere!

H/T Salesian Books

Since today is the National Day of Prayer, this is just one to share with the Gulchers:-)

May God Bless us Everyone!!

bluefox on May 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Fallon on May 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I vote for all of the above as well – and suggest s’mores at the pit for 57 ;) [Click on the 27 sec. video and watch 'til the end - LOL]

Opinionator on May 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I would pick all 3 lol!! ;-D

Scrumpy on May 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

May God Bless us Everyone!!

bluefox on May 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Opinionator on May 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I second the motion for s’mores… Loved the video. :)

Three cakes? Okie dokie… I’ll get busy. And, bluefox’s Gulch blessings are greatly appreciated.

Fallon on May 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I’m taking a short break!! Thanks Fallon. By the way, we are all going to have to tend to your large Estate Garden, LOL The sunset scene is perfect for our 50 page celebration. That baked Alaska looks scrumptious!!!

Before I posted that Blessing poem, I had almost a full page of comments to all of you and a pop up appeared saying I had a virus.
I had to close all windows out, so aggravating. It was a false alarm. I get those from breitbart quite often, but first time on “our” thread:-) Then I didn’t have time then to re-post. Will try later.

16 window panels are sparkling & curtains washed and ironed, LOL

Oh, the “pest” appeared on one of the threads yesterday. Here I was hoping…LOL

Nice to see everyones comments too!!

bluefox on May 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 1:16 AM

I just read about your mom. My sincere condolences to you and your sister. I’m glad your mom, with all her travels and all the things she did, gave you one more memorable story to tell about her and something to ease the sorrow of her passing.

INC on May 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 1, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Thanks for the encouragement!

INC on May 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Just checking in to see if the page is turned. I’ll check later! Back to qotd!

KCB on May 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Fallon on April 30, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Thanks for the WSJ link.

I’m sorry about the client hit your husband’s business took. It sounds as if he has the creativity and flexibility to do the reinvention.

Our goal as Americans has to be to stand and win this war of attrition with Obama. He won’t be in the WH forever, and though he’s done damage, I hope that even if we’re wounded that we’ll outlast him.

INC on May 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Our son’s graduation ceremony was today. He graduated magna cum laude in computer science.

Saturday we go back for his commissioning.

I want you to know that we narrowly missed hearing Billy Jeff deliver a commencement speech. The university is so large they have several separate ceremonies. Clinton was speaking this afternoon, and as we were leaving the morning commencement, the television and network vans were there at the curb.

INC on May 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM

INC on May 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Yay! That calls for a fourth cake. Off to bed. :)

Fallon on May 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Fallon on May 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM

INC on May 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM

INC on May 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Congratulations. While the former president was doubtless entertaining, it sounds like you were attending the main show. An excellent young man, you have there.

wolfsDad on May 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM

wolfsDad on May 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Thank you!

INC on May 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM

INC on May 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Congratulations! We are nearing 50 pages. The tomorrows speech at the NRA should put us over the hump.

renalin on May 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Stopped back in to turn the page….

KCB on May 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM

INC on May 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM

…HA HA!…look what I copied from todays QOTD up top…in case INC didn’t make it down here!…^ ^ ^…and she shared it in the Gulch first!

I want all of you to know that today my son graduated magna cum laude in computer science…………..

INC on May 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Don’t miss live NRA News coverage from the 142nd NRA Annual Meetings in Houston, Texas. Tune in for the following broadcasts, all times are central.

FRI, MAY 3 • 1-4 PM CT (Live on NRA.Org & NRANews.com)
NRA-ILA Leadership Forum with featured speakers:

bluefox on May 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

INC on May 2, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Congrats to your son and those proud parents!!! I know you all are very pleased!!

I saw your post upstairs but too much to read, LOL

bluefox on May 3, 2013 at 1:42 AM

This may just take us to our 50th.

First, to our HA benefactors, we are very grateful for your bandwidth and the fact you even allow us here – to nurture and appreciate each other in Sarah’s Gulch. No archives has ever had it so good! Cheers to HA! Please join us for our 50th Celebration!!!

I apologize in advance for the following disparate message. Don’t read this if you don’t want to.

What is odd is that I find the desire to respond to every single Gulcher’s message. I have never before experienced such a phenomenon. . .certainly never in the threads – heh! For several days I’ve been unable to keep up – a 37 page doc to prepare re the mortgage, lingering crud, a car that wouldn’t start and had to be repaired for a pretty penny, trying to deal with a yard, leaking roof, washing machine that doesn’t work, hobbling as fast as I can. .

I have experienced each one of your triumphs and difficulties with a host of emotions. How could I properly express all of that?!

First, KCB – who the heck are you Mr. Page Turner Monitor? Pleased to meet you! The rest of you probably know him/her well. Sigh. Same to you Conservative Tarheel. Pleased to meet you, too. Does your wife allow you to be rented out for honey do lists?

Nice to see you, unseen, the best Sarah defender of all!

Bluefox, thanks for your encouragement and gardening tips. What general area are you in that you also have spruce and evergreens? I got that spruce but haven’t planted it yet. Thank you for your beautiful prayer today and continuing efforts re legislation and updates.

INC – my prayers continue re your hubby’s job. I hope it will be realized! And we are all so proud of your son! Please congratulate him for us. Your dress for his wedding sounds absolutely beautiful. Although the O economy has hit many of us dearly, you and your family will triumph. I have no doubt. Thanks, too, for your comments re editing. I am not a licensed attorney, just a J.D.

WolfsDad, thank you very much for the CV remark. I have several decades under my belt – have worked in a few fields for a very long time. What will my next iteration be given the stroke? Beats me…lol

Scrumpy – your spirit is so very full and bright. I have not had the time to savor your poetry and blog, but I shall do so ASAP.

KA2, your instinct and response was to sooth US in the face of your own sadness – what a Guy you are!! More hugs. Big ones. And thanks for your comment re that guy whose name escapes me at the moment – the one who attacked. He’ll probably be back at page 98! :)

Fallon, Sweet One. I think we need to build a bakery for the Gulch and hire a baker. You work entirely too hard as it is. As to your hubby’s challenge from left field, I have no doubt he will land on top. Meanwhile, grrrrr.

If I’ve forgotten comments made to me, I’m sorry!

To Bluegill – I sense sadness in you. Come on over. Sometimes you find that what you ‘hate’ is in fact what you love.

One more thing. My real life cousin will hopefully be joining us here in the Gulch soon! I’ll let you know. . .

Sleep tight, All. Love You.

Opinionator on May 3, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Dang! And I’m over 50!

Opinionator on May 3, 2013 at 4:09 AM

Where are Bmore, Steebo. . .

Hello renalin – meant to tell you you’ve been missed!

Opinionator on May 3, 2013 at 4:21 AM

Just finished getting through the QOTD thread:

…I love me some Cruz. But, duuuuuude, he’s only been doing this for a few seconds in time.

Plus, the left isn’t really that interested in him.

Else they would burn down his church and sift through his trash.

renalin on May 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Renalin you keep me smiling. I really like Cruz, too, but I’ve had my heart broken, my ego and wallet bruised and my head spun ’round by politicians before. Between renalin’s reminders to keep our powder dry, to keep our thinking clear, and INC’s son’s wonderful accomplishments, I am posting this Kipling poem, IF:

IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream – and not make dreams your master;
If you can think – and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ‘em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
‘ Or walk with Kings – nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And – which is more – you’ll be a Man, my son!

Fallon on May 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM

We’re one or two away (doing my best to do a Steebo, but got bored and may have lost count, lol.) I’m gonna sit tight for a little while. I can’t wait to see who does the page turn… A stalwart Gulcher? A newbie? One of the missing?

Fallon on May 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM