Report: Palin parts ways with Fox News

posted at 6:51 pm on January 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

Her choice, not theirs, according to a source who spoke to RCP.

After a three-year run as a paid contributor to the nation’s highest-rated cable news channel, Sarah Palin and FOX News have cut ties, according to a source close to the former Alaska governor.

“It’s my understanding that Gov. Palin was offered a contract by FOX, and she decided not to renew the arrangement,” the source close to Palin told RCP. “She remains focused on broadening her message of common-sense conservatism across the country and will be expanding her voice in the national discussion.”

The source declined to say whether Palin would pursue a television contract with another news network, such as CNN.

Not surprising given what happened last year at the convention, although the Times claims she and Fox were negotiating a new contract as recently as last week. Maybe she has another offer on the table that’s sweeter than theirs?

My first thought when I read the RCP piece was that Mark Begich is up for reelection next year and is already preparing for a strong conservative challenge, but NRO’s Robert Costa tweets some skepticism:

I thought challenging Begich, a weak blue incumbent in a very red state, was her best bet back to political office, but maybe she’s transitioned to Arizona now. (Costa hears that she’s still occasionally in touch with Joe Miller, who appears to be planning to challenge Begich himself.) If not politics, then what? Hard to believe she’d trade Fox for CNN. Maybe … Glenn Beck’s network, The Blaze? It had 300,000 online subscribers as of last summer and must have many more now, especially since Dish Network started airing it in September. And Beck’s aggressively trying to promote it, from making a bid on Current TV to gain a platform on basic cable to opening foreign bureaus in hopes of becoming a sort of libertarian alternative to Fox. She’d instantly raise the network’s profile and bring in new viewers. And there’s plenty of room on the programming schedule for her: The channel currently airs from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET with a two-hour block free from 2-4 so they could give her her own show if that’s what she has in mind. If I had to bet, I’d bet that’s where she goes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 42 43 44 45 46 114

Our friend is being modest. Last time HA asked a survey question on favorite commenters, unseen was on the list.

INC has broken into the weight class of RWM and the incomparable Floridian (kindly pardon my aversion to using the “duh”)

Over at Breitbart, John Nolte finally broaches the subject of the SSM movement’s ultimate aim.

wolfsDad on March 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

wolfsDad on March 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Page turner #44 to wolfsDad!! Congrats!!

HA does have some very smart commenters, I agree with you on those you listed.

“Duh” may have just got burnt out with politics. It’s easy to do.
Taxes took my mind off of the idiots for awhile, LOL

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 7:03 PM

wolfsDad on March 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Wow, that favorite commenters thread was a blast from the past. I agree with you on INC’s growing importance here (Hot Air). Outstanding information. Going over to read Nolte’s info now.

Congrats on the sailboats. (I’m a bit of a word geek. I had to look up what a pair of fours is called in poker.)

Fallon on March 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Ace posted an excerpt from this Rudyard Kipling poem earlier today. I’ve kept it up all day and decided to repost it in its entirety here:

The Gods of the Copybook Headings

AS I PASS through my incarnations in every age and race,
I make my proper prostrations to the Gods of the Market Place.
Peering through reverent fingers I watch them flourish and fall,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings, I notice, outlast them all.

We were living in trees when they met us. They showed us each in turn
That Water would certainly wet us, as Fire would certainly burn:
But we found them lacking in Uplift, Vision and Breadth of Mind,
So we left them to teach the Gorillas while we followed the March of Mankind.

We moved as the Spirit listed. They never altered their pace,
Being neither cloud nor wind-borne like the Gods of the Market Place,
But they always caught up with our progress, and presently word would come
That a tribe had been wiped off its icefield, or the lights had gone out in Rome.

With the Hopes that our World is built on they were utterly out of touch,
They denied that the Moon was Stilton; they denied she was even Dutch;
They denied that Wishes were Horses; they denied that a Pig had Wings;
So we worshipped the Gods of the Market Who promised these beautiful things.

When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: “Stick to the Devil you know.”

On the first Feminian Sandstones we were promised the Fuller Life
(Which started by loving our neighbour and ended by loving his wife)
Till our women had no more children and the men lost reason and faith,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: “The Wages of Sin is Death.”

In the Carboniferous Epoch we were promised abundance for all,
By robbing selected Peter to pay for collective Paul;
But, though we had plenty of money, there was nothing our money could buy,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: “If you don’t work you die.”

Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That All is not Gold that Glitters, and Two and Two make Four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more.

As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool’s bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!

Fallon on March 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Fallon on March 26, 2013 at 7:28 PM

And so it was, is and continues today. That poem reminded me of

II Timothy 3:7 ” Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.”

I’ve heard it said that A mind is a terrible thing to waste and seeing what is happening in our Country and the World, I believe it.

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Nice article… The comment section reminds me why I rarely go to Redstate anymore, lol.

Fallon on March 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Thanks for the congrats, people. Steebo, anytime you want to resume the heads up on the thread count, it would be appreciated.

bluefox, the Loesch column is of a piece with Nolte’s. They’re both focused on what matters most.

The Kipling poem merits inclusion in school curricula, though the progressives would doubtless sue to get it back out.

wolfsDad on March 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM

wolfsDad on March 26, 2013

..*thumps wolfie on the back*… for turning page 44!
…ain’t going upstairs today…getting tired of the same topics…same trolls…I have too many swear words building up…and real words to say…instead of double entendres…gotta cool it for a bit!

KOOLAID2 on March 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM

wolfsDad on March 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Thanks, I intend to read that also. Dana’s article was on headlines which linked to Redstate. I’ve been listening to Mark Levin on this SCOTUS etc. I just hope the SCOTUS will be able to see beyond what will happen if they rule against Marriage between a man and a woman. The poem by Kipling and other articles tie together what is important.

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Fallon on March 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I haven’t read the comments yet. Now, I’m not sure I want to since you must have, LOL But I will. Maybe they are no longer a Conservative site? Or are more liberal in allowing comments that aren’t. Will see:-)

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM

..*thumps wolfie on the back*… for turning page 44!

KOOLAID2 on March 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Hey, Mr. Kool!! Congrats to you and others in that fine performance in taking the HA troll to task the other day. I was able to read that, but too busy to comment. Awesome job!!

I read parts of a couple of threads today and it seems like a lot of new commenters are out and about, LOL

You didn’t curse when you were taking down the HA troll. Just use truth in your own humourous way, that will do them in. LOL

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Fallon on March 26, 2013 at 7:42 PM

I read some of those comments. Wow, that Mod is really out of line and very arrogant. Unless he agrees with your opinion AND you word it with the utmost wisdom, you’re out of there. At first, I thot he was joking when taking that commenter to task. Geesh!!

Guess we’ll leave those 4-5 little delusional VIP’s to themselves.
Seems like they think they are the only ones intelligent enough to comment. Grrrrr!!

Reminded me of some past Supervisors I worked under. Everyone was an idiot except them, LOL

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM

There are a few moderators there who act like little Bloombergs. The banhammer swings for the stupidest reasons. (Full disclosure, I am banned at Redstate, probably by the same little power drunk nut.)

Fallon on March 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

…gotta cool it for a bit!

KOOLAID2 on March 26, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Well, there is no better place to cool it than the Gulch. Take a load off and live to fight another day.

Fallon on March 26, 2013 at 9:09 PM

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Fallon on March 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I used to comment there until a couple of years ago. Had a disagreement with Eric as I recall. Didn’t get banned, but if I commented as we do here, I would have, LOL

I find it ironic that they won’t allow commenters to exercise free speech on their blog, but yet complain about what’s going on in D.C.

O/T The Gospel Movie Channel (GMC) is having Christian movies each night this week. I watched Ruth last night and it was very good. Jeremiah is on now and next is Esther (10PM EDT) It’s 9:23PM now:-)

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Hey Gulchers! I’ve been busy. From yesterday:

March For Marriage Tuesday!

Marriage & the Right Side of History

SCOTUS Hearings on Proposition 8

INC on March 27, 2013 at 2:35 AM

The wee hours this morning:

Redefining Marriage: SCOTUS As Theatre of the Absurd

INC on March 27, 2013 at 2:35 AM

Thanks for the kind words! I’m sort of bemused though—I have to ask what put me on the map? It feels kind of weird to think I’ve been obscure. I’ve been here since Fall 2006, and written and linked to hundreds, probably thousands of items.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Obscure’s not the right word. Maybe fading into the woodwork and not making any impression.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 2:49 AM

wolfsDad on March 26, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I was? didn’t even know there was a survey. I will have to search the post. Thanks for the info.

unseen on March 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I remember the good times too, unseen. Defenders of our Warrior against all of the trolls/spys and haters, paid and unpaid, LOL

She is still standing despite all they could throw at her:-)

Nice to see you upstairs(HA threads) and downstairs(Gulchers:)

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

yeah it was coming hot and heavy at times. so much disinformation. My biggest problem was that it seemed so many people believed all the lies. I think one of the reasons In defended Gov Palin so much because I knoew if they could slime her with her record of accomplishment and character then they could and would slime anyone. I’m glad she is still standing bruised but in good shape. gives me hope for the country.

unseen on March 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

INC on March 27, 2013 at 2:44 AM

Personally, I’ve read your posts for a long time and upstairs you are part of a chorus. Upstairs there are many substantive posters but frankly, there are also a lot of characters, too, who get attention because they are, well, funny and entertaining.

Down here, your posts regarding Common Core and the defense of (traditional) marriage allow me, as a bit of an ADD poster, to focus on the issues and arguments.

Down here, you are a brilliant soloist.

A clear voice backed up with interesting articles, excellent information and a clear and direct perspective. I would have never known about the French demonstrations or Common Core if I hadn’t been reading here at the Gulch. So, your praise while overdue, as you have been doing the heavy lifting for a long time, is well earned.

Mid-morning snack, Gulchers?

I have some grapefruit that I am sectioning out. There’s plenty… if you like the slightly sour deliciousness of grapefruit, as I do.

Fallon on March 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Fallon on March 26, 2013 at 9:04 PM

i’ve always viewed Redstate as the GOPE young guns. they act conservative until it matters then 10 out of 10 times they fall in line with the GOPE.

unseen on March 27, 2013 at 11:13 AM

bluefox on March 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM

yeah reminds me of Bloomberg

unseen on March 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I think one of the reasons In defended Gov Palin so much because I knew if they could slime her with her record of accomplishment and character then they could and would slime anyone. I’m glad she is still standing bruised but in good shape. gives me hope for the country.

unseen on March 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM

That was my gut instinct, too. To see how the media and even members of our own party turned on her right after her brilliant acceptance speech, put me back on my heels. We didn’t even know about the concerted effort by the journoListers yet but you could feel there was some kind of coordinated attack happening.

Unseen, you have made a huge difference with your reasoned counter-attacks, which is why some find you polarizing. (That’s a compliment and a pun, lol.) You kept the irrational haters somewhat in check. I’m just happy you’re on our side.

Have a great day!

Fallon on March 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Fallon on March 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Yummy, thanks. I love the Texas Grapefruits since I don’t have to put sugar on them. Some people use salt on theirs, which I never knew!

Well, I’m off to the Post Office finally(2012 returns done).

Then need to see about plans for Easter Dinner etc.

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM

The last 4-5 comments on last night’s QOTD are interesting:-)Caused me to shake my head.

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Palin Reloads for 2014 Elections with SarahPAC Video

In a sign of how active Sarah Palin intends to be in influencing the 2014 elections, SarahPAC, Sarah Palin’s Political Action Committee, released a video on Wednesday meant to ignite independents, conservatives, and Tea Partiers for the 2014 midterm elections. These voters propelled Republican candidates in the historic 2010 midterm elections that saw Republicans take back the House of Representatives on the backs of Tea Party voters.

Fallon on March 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

wow powerful AD gave me goosebumps. Must watch

unseen on March 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM

SarahPAC supporters,

The 2014 elections are just twenty months away. We appreciate your support; together we have elected many great commonsense conservatives over the past four years. Together, we will keep fighting to support these bold candidates. Please take a moment to share this video with your friends and learn more by visiting sarahpac.com. You can also directly help SarahPAC by donating here.

- Tim Crawford, Treasurer – SarahPAC

unseen on March 27, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Love, love, love Ms. Michelle McCormick, in a motherly sort of way:

…It is unfortunate that you “sense a pattern of non-engagement with the grassroots.” The people who met with Governor Palin after her speech seemed to greatly enjoy meeting with her. We have included several pictures for your perusal. Free of charge…

Fallon on March 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Fallon on March 27, 2013 at 3:21 PM

HERE WE GO!!!!

Fallon on March 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Townhall and their ads are a pain! C4P had this the other day and I agree Michelle McCormick and a few others are grizzles:-)

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM

wow powerful AD gave me goosebumps. Must watch

unseen on March 27, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Oh, that ad is so very awesome!! Best ad I’ve seen this year from her and what it’s intended for!! WOW!

We need to put that link on all of the threads upstairs:-) Also whatever other websites we are registered on, LOL

I’m going to have to revise my budget now:-)

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM

WOW, AP has a thread up of Sarah’s Video!!!!

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Sorry for not picking up on your obvious (and considerable ) value earlier, INC. Fallon’s post captures my thoughts on the matter rather well.

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Sarah. Rising. Excellent.

wolfsDad on March 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Sarah. Rising. Excellent.

wolfsDad on March 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Oh, WOW. I am so excited!!!

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Fallon on March 27, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Thanks, Fallon!

The thing that gets me about Common Core is that it is a huge Trojan horse that is being ignored on big blogs. MM is the only one I can think of who has spent any time on it.

Education is a yawner for most people, but the longitudinal data bases contain enough fodder to get anyone concerned.

Here at HA none of the writers have reared children from the cradle. Ed has a stepson. No one else has any kids at all that I know of. There’s a blindspot on children, family and marriage here that’s a mile wide and a mile high.

Common Core is a ideological horror story with companies having a monopoly on dictating to states and schools what they will teach and when. It’s a backdoor nationalized school curriculum (we have 3 federal laws forbidding that, but what’s a law to what Obama wants?).

It’s also a financial horror story. I read yesterday that it will cost one AL school district $31 million. It’s crony profits on steroids as the necessity for tech devices is written into it.

It’s slipped into 46 states (Sarah Palin being the first governor to see the trap and say no, with Rick Perry being the second one). There’s a tooth and nail fight going on in some states by the grass roots to get rid of it.

There are educators and childhood specialists who despise it. The curriculum is oblivious to child development and is clueless on teaching skills.

My degree was in math ed., and I’ve seen some math worksheets that are so incredibly bad it’s almost impossible to describe them. They are confusing and will bring many children to tears.

The fight is going on now because some states have already implemented it, and most (maybe all) will have to do so this fall.

OK, CC rant of the day over.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

This refers to yesterday’s march.

UKDailyMail: “Christian Opponents Easily Outnumbering Advocates for Gay Marriage”

You would never have known this except for the British news. Original Daily Mail article:

PUNCHES fly as gay marriage advocates and opponents clash outside Supreme Court while landmark case is heard inside

Midway through a National Organization protest in front of the US Supreme Court building, punches flew. One, which landed on the face of a marcher, was thrown by gay marriage advocate Sergei Kostin, a former Occupy DC member whom a source in the Washington, DC Metropolitan Police Department described as a ‘professional activist.’

The other was a gut-punch that Kostin told MailOnline provoked him – one that no one else saw. If that punch flew, one observer countered, however, it’s not clear how hard it could have been.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 6:26 PM

….there was a Sarah thread up top and guess what cracked record crackhead showed up?…what a COMPLETE imbecile that woman is!

KOOLAID2 on March 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM

The irrational hatred Sarah draws is unreal.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 8:16 PM

OK, CC rant of the day over.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 6:25 PM

INC, Glenn Beck has been covering this quite a bit on his radio show. I think also on the BlazeTV, which is on Dish but not Directv; called them to request it.

Haven’t checked to see if his website is covering it although I would think so.

There are so many urgent things going on in D.C., that it’s hard to cover it all.

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Thanks! I did read that Beck has discussed it.

it’s hard to cover it all.

This is the Obama full-court press year.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

KOOLAID2 on March 27, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I’m sure I could guess which imbecile, LOL Going up to see. I very very seldom even reply to it, since it goes in one ear and out the other. You know all of the trolls for the last 2-3 years have mostly left except this one. I think it’s Rove:-)

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Thanks! I did read that Beck has discussed it.

it’s hard to cover it all.

This is the Obama full-court press year.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I know, that’s the way they want it. A question if you don’t mind.
Is it the Governor of a State that implements this? If not, then who does? Thanks. At least I can get some info out to those I know and spread the word.

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I would have to go and check who did what where, but from what I remember CC was adopted by governors and/or their state school board.

I think in SC it was adopted before Nikki Halley came in and she’s now being working to get it removed.

The fights I’m reading about now are going on in the legislatures as they’ve either woken up or been jarred awake by citizens over the reality of what CC will mean for a state.

The costs alone make it sheer idiocy to retain and implement, let alone the curriculum and indoctrination and data base intrusions.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I’ve also read that even as the feds give states unfunded mandates, some (it probably varies) local school boards are being stuck with CC as an unfunded mandate.

People are broke. This something only a Leftist could come up with and that’s only bought by the worst of their useful idiots. I believe there are actually some on the Left who don’t like CC.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM

It’s original adoption would probably depend on how much leeway a state ed board or commissioner had and if legislation was even necessary or merely a rubber stamp.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM

INC on March 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Thanks for this info and your add’l two following comments. I will do some investigation in my State. I’ve contacted my State Sen./Rep. before. Have their aides contact info.

I think knowing who to contact to protest this will be helpful. Some of the School Districts themselves may not even know what is coming.

One of our State aides said the best way to get an elected official’s attention is phone calls. He said that’s the first thing they ask, is did we get any calls? Interesting.

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM

In the really important news the 100th episode of Psyche is on tonight.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Is common core legally imposable on private schools?

wolfsDad on March 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Is common core legally imposable on private schools?

wolfsDad on March 27, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Some have voluntarily adopted them–that’s how educational fads tend to go. At the moment pressure there takes another tactic. This is from last October:

In an email sent out today by the American Association of Christian Schools called “The Washington Flyer” they highlighted how private schools are being impacted by the Common Core State Standards:

….Dr. Jeff Walton, AACS Executive Director, noted that while there is “no great track record for national reform efforts” some schools will feel the need to align with the standards because of external pressures such as credit transfer, voucher program inclusion, and college admission.

Mary Grabar writes:

Common Core is part of an effort to implement regionalism, the replacement of local governments by regional boards of federally appointed bureaucrats, who in turn are beholden to international bodies. Regionalism will eliminate the freedom parents now have in choosing neighborhoods with good schools because tax funds will be distributed equally. There will be no escape in home schooling or private schools either, because the curriculum will follow national tests.

Students will be tracked through mandatory state records that will then be accessible to Washington bureaucrats. Ultimately, all students will be subject to education mandates implemented by Obama’s radical cronies.

I think CC will fail and fall of its own weight, but there will be some kids who are caught in its crosshairs during some of their crucial educational years.

INC on March 27, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Psyche’s riff last week on the In-Laws was hysterical—this week’s episode fell flat.

INC on March 28, 2013 at 2:31 AM

Sarah. Rising. Excellent.

wolfsDad on March 27, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Oh, WOW. I am so excited!!!

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

bluegill‘s excited, too ! . . . . . . . . . . . What ? ! … panic is a kind of excitement.

listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 2:44 AM

you know I was thinking about the new ad out and what I think it shows is leadership. It isn’t really about her its aboout the mission. sure the ad pushes Palin’s great record of helping elect conservatives but its not about her running or her getting attention its about leading and tha tis something we have lacked as a nation and as a movement for a long time.

Our leaders don’t lead they don’t govern they rule.

unseen on March 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Oh, WOW. I am so excited!!!

bluefox on March 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM

listens2glenn on March 28, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I call “it” Envy, Jealous, Hatred and Liar. Since every comment that it makes is one of those or a combo.

unseen was taking all of the trolls down, one by one. It was awesome!!

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Our leaders don’t lead they don’t govern they rule.

unseen on March 28, 2013 at 9:46 AM

That’s true and it’s like it’s a one party system. No one is represented except the Democrats with help from the R’s.

When I first saw that ad, I thot she’s going to repeat 2010. The ad reminds us of what we did in 2010 and we can do it again.

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

unseen was taking all of the trolls down, one by one. It was awesome!!

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM

True. You did an excellent job of representing the Gulch yourself, btw.

Anyway, a query for the Opinionator: is worcestershire a suitable substitute for soy sauce?

wolfsDad on March 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM

wolfsDad on March 28, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Thanks, I try. I could do better, except I have my “ammo” on three different computers:-)

Speaking of OP, haven’t seen her lately. Of course I’ve been awol myself. Just hope she’s ok.

I’m making tacos, so can’t help you there, LOL

Going back upstairs to see what’s going on.

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Oh, is this the “Dave” everyone talks about?

Dave Rywall on March 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM (On the Palin thread)

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

unseen was taking all of the trolls down, one by one. It was awesome!!

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM

glad you enjoyed it. :)

unseen on March 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

That be him bluefox!

Scrumpy on March 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Been away from the gulch for a few days and just caught up!

Thanks INC for your relentless pursuit of CC and the marches in Paris for the sanctity of marriage!!

You are on a par with RWM :-)

Truly an asset to all of us on HA…

God Bless and have a great evening!!

Scrumpy on March 28, 2013 at 9:21 PM

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 2:47 PM

glad you enjoyed it. :)

unseen on March 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM

It was a treat, believe me !((HUGS))

Hope you have a relaxing evening after that workout:-)

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM

great minds not only think alike. they all post within the hour:)

buenas noches mis amigos!

renalin on March 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

That be him bluefox!

Scrumpy on March 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Thanks. I wasn’t sure. Dire will be glad to know we’ve found him, LOL

Hope you’re doing well. Prayers for you, Fallon, OP and a couple from upstairs today.

I’ve taped a couple of Christian Movies for late this evening and tomorrow.

See you later:-)

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 9:57 PM

…just lurking

KOOLAID2 on March 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM

…just lurking

KOOLAID2 on March 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Hey, Mr. Kool. Something funny is going on. I have replied twice to renalin’s 9:56 PM comment and it will not post!!

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 10:30 PM

great minds not only think alike. they all post within the hour:)

buenas noches mis amigos!

renalin on March 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM

It does appear that way.

Good Evening to you also:-)

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Ok, it was when I replied using a phrase in Spanish that would not post. Strange!!

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Hi Guys :)

I’m fine. . . been reading late night. We’ve had a few nice and semi warm days so I’m taking on Spring yard cleanup. At my (current!) pace, it takes a very long time – last year had a volunteer to help. I have to get those maple pods before they all turn into trees – and there are trillions of them!

Awesome Sarah ad and awesome work by unseen And bluefox (congrats on finishing taxes!) up there. Was finally able to read all of it a bit ago. Good job by both of you!!

wolfsDad – Sorry it took a while to get back to you and hope your dinner wasn’t on the line! I would ask what you’re making? Generally speaking, soy is quite a bit saltier and worcestershire has a bit of a tang due to the white vinegar in it. They both give great depth of flavor and ‘umami’. In combination, they are quite incredible ! (splash a bit of each with a pat of butter on a steak at the end of grilling or pretty much anything :). If you’ll let me know what you’re making, maybe I could help dial it in a bit better as a sub. .

We sort of missed our two month anniversary :( today. So here’s to all you fine Gulchers and my prayers follow all of you as well!

Opinionator on March 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Opinionator on March 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Hi Op! Good to see you, and thanks for getting back to me.

Using a recipe for (alcohol-free) teriyaki sauce. Made it last week, but traced the personally objectionable olfactory effect to the soy sauce. Rummaged around a bit and saw worcestershire listed as a substitute, but knowing you to be an authority… Went for the substitution this evening. Everyone agreed it wasn’t bad. A bit sweeter than the original recipe, though.

wolfsDad on March 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Opinionator on March 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Hello OP, nice to “see” you. Oh, yes, I’m glad those taxes are in the mail. I have an amended one for last year, but don’t have to do it now. Glad to take a break.

Spring clean up huh. You must warm up earlier than we do, although we had a couple of nice sunny sitting on the porch days about 2 weeks ago.

We have a lot of Maple trees and we call those pods, wings. They certainly will grow into trees, LOL Weed killer spray works & if you’re not into that a heavy salt water spray. Don’t overdo on that yard work. The muscles get lazy after a winter:-)

I planted a few Moonflower seeds indoors about a week ago. Starting to sprout. Put them in last years pot that I didn’t pull the roots out and now that old root is sending up some green leaves:-)

Going to see what is going on upstairs and then may watch a taped movie.

Later….

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM

wolfsDad on March 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Glad you went for it and good to see you too! It probably tasted sweeter because it wasn’t as salty (ha!). . .and because worcestershire also has molasses in it :) The soy beans (fermented, no less) in soy sc. are probably what your nose doesn’t like. You could just add a bit of salt to sauce #2 to arrive at an even closer rendition, or cut the soy in half and substitute worcestershire for the other half. That would tone it down and mask the assault lol. Also, in equal parts they are indeed a delicious pair. I am the an*l type* that tinkers endlessly, but if you and your family liked it as is, stick with it!

*Like years of experimentation to arrive at my ‘acceptable’/authentic souvlaki marinade, etc., etc., etc.! lol

Sleep tight, All.

Opinionator on March 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM

bluefox on March 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Nice to see you, too :)

Moonflowers, eh? Sounds lovely – I’ll have to look them up!

We’re about a month ahead of schedule for temps (high 40′s/low 50′s now) but those little buggers are already taking root. Thanks for the tips. I’m scooting along the ground and pulling them and bagging leaves by hand – can’t stand for long – hard to rake, blah blah, so I’m not over-exerting. I love sitting on grass and meeting spring ladybugs, anyway :)

I’m off to eat and veg, too. Sweet dreams.

Opinionator on March 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Hi all! & thanks, Scrumpy!

INC on March 29, 2013 at 3:07 AM

I was bored today, so I watched The Undefeated again. I’m a 27-year-old man, and I was moved to tears. A lot of tears. My heart aches for what could have been. What an honest, fearless, selfless public servant. There is no one else like her out there.

steebo77 on March 29, 2013 at 3:55 AM

The minute “The Minstrel Boy” started playing, I lost it.

steebo77 on March 29, 2013 at 3:56 AM

I’m a 27-year-old man…

steebo77 on March 29, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Steebo, you’re just a baby. I didn’t realize you were so young. It’s weird how we build pictures of everyone in our minds. I’m gonna go with you’re an old soul. :)

I have too much to do again today but I needed to stop in to set up the coffee and scan upstairs.

Fallon on March 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Good morning and Happy Good Friday, Gulchers.

Andrew Malcom penned a rather complimentary column for IBD.

Op, thanks for the info. Never knew that there was molasses in worcestershire sauce, and will try using salt to offset the additional sugar content next time out. You, and the rest of the group here, are indispensable.

Steebo, you’ve been missed. Good to see you again.

wolfsDad on March 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Opinionator on March 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Morning OP and all other kindred spirits here at the Gulch!

That yard work sounds difficult for you, hope someone comes by to help. We usually have kids coming around to shovel snow in the winter, but can’t find any to rake leaves in the fall, LOL

I’ve gotten smarter tho and now use the shop vac to blow leaves from the drive way into the yard and mulch all leaves with the John Deere:-) No more raking.

On those Moonflowers, I soak them for at least 2 days in water before planting. They take about 3 months or so before blooming, similar to Morning Glory seeds. The flowers are white and about 5-6″ across. Last only one day, but are beautiful:-)

I love planting various kinds of flower seeds. Now is a good time to plant perennial flower seeds, especially Wild Flower. Love those!

Have a great day, everyone.

bluefox on March 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM

steebo77 on March 29, 2013 at 3:55 AM

I’ve not viewed it yet. Was going to order it last year, but for some reason didn’t get it done. Will have to now. I read all about it. When it was on TV, I didn’t have that channel either.

Don’t be too sad over what could have been as we can have confidence in what she can do. We’ve seen that in 2010 & 2012. Had she ran in 2012 and won, she would have had Reid/Boehner to block her. The key is taking the Senate & adding to the House and electing a new Speaker!! As unseen said, she’s taking the House & Senate elections National and that is what we can work toward!!

bluefox on March 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Praying for RWM’s Audrey from the QOTD thread. It breaks my heart to hear of children being mistreated and/or ignored. I believe childhood should have some magical moments even if they are few and far between. Dusting off my checkbook and sending a little to SarahPAC today. Might as well, if Cypress is the test balloon…

Fallon on March 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I wasn’t on the QOTD and didn’t even read any yet. But will try to find RWM’s info. Doesn’t sound good from what you’ve described.

Yes, I think contributing to SarahPAC may be the best way to spend our political money. No need giving it to the “Consultants”:-)

Have a great day & hope your weather is nice. We are having sunshine and temps in the 50′s! Rain for Easter Sunday tho, hopefully not too much:-)

bluefox on March 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Andrew Malcom penned a rather complimentary column for IBD.wolfsDad on March 29, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Good Friday Greetings of Remembrance to you and all here at the Gulch.

That was a nice article about Sarah. I noticed this also:
However, a donation of $50 or more will get you a signed Sarah photograph.

Noted this too:
Payments of $500,000 or more to Obama’s Organizing for Action can buy a White House meeting with POTUS. But that’s not peddling access, you understand.(Snip)

Meant to mention yesterday that I saw your comment to the HA House troll, LOL Schizo is right; good one.

bluefox on March 29, 2013 at 10:39 AM

…sorry…U of M and Michigan State tonight!

KOOLAID2 on March 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Good Saturday Morning, Gulchers! Coffee’s on!!!

I have to admit to indulging in my latest weird thing… line dancing. I have been having so much fun with it. It’s been lifting my mood. I sent my SarahPAC donation yesterday with “Loaded for Bear” on the memo line, lol.

In my email this morning I found this info:

Stop Common Core, American Principles Project and the Concerned Women of America in Georgia made the following video series on the Common Core State Standards possible.

Fallon on March 30, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Making Hummingbird cupcakes and dying some eggs later today… It should be a busy prep day…

Fallon on March 30, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Happy Easter

Lord, you are so wonderful
And deserve our love and praise
I cannot express just how I feel
When I think of your saving grace

To think of what you went through
That day upon the cross
And in the moments leading up to it
When soldiers spat and scoffed

And beat you with no mercy
Making sport and having fun
You said not a word in your defence
Even though you were God’s son

You bore it all out of your love
For the lost and dying souls
To give us a hope we can hold on to
For a future yet to unfold

It’s such a beautiful description, Lord
Of what your grace can do
For no one’s exempt from your saving grace
But it’s a gift freely given from you