Rahm Emanuel to banks: Hey, how about you stop serving firearms manufacturers?

posted at 1:11 pm on January 25, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Via Politico… just wow. Welcome to Chicago, I suppose:

Emanuel is sending letters to two major financial institutions, TD Bank and Bank of America, which offer lines of credit to gun makers suggesting that they stop lending money to the manufacturers if they don’t come out for new gun restrictions.

“TD Bank currently aids the gun manufacturing industry through a $60 million revolving line of credit with Smith & Wesson, a gun manufacturer that produces the AR-15 — an assault weapon that was used by James Holmes to kill 12 people and wound 58 in a crowded movie theatre in Aurora,” Emanuel’s missive to TD CEO Bharat Masrani states. “I ask you to use your influence to push this company to find common ground with the vast majority of Americans who support a military weapons and ammunition ban and comprehensive background checks.”

Noting that Chicago’s municipal employees and teachers had already divested money in pension funds from gun makers that are opposing new gun laws, the White House chief of staff-turned-mayor wrote: “Now we need you and other commercial banks to join this fight for safer streets. Collectively we can send a clear and unambiguous message to the entire gun industry that investors will no longer financially support companies that profit from gun violence.”

Emanuel sent a similarly worded letter to Bank of America CEO Brian Moynihan, a bank that does business with Sturm, Ruger & Co.

Actually, I’m pretty sure that Sturm, Ruger & Co’s and Smith & Wesson’s profits don’t come from gun violence, but rather from the millions of law-abiding American citizens legally buying their completely legal products — and that includes military and law enforcement, I might add. And Emanuel is lobbying these major and publicly traded financial institutions to actively discriminate against law-abiding companies that don’t happen to support his entirely political gun-related agenda? A political agenda which, by the way, will not help to reduce violent crime? Would this even hold up in a court of law?

It’s like they’re not even trying to hide the lobbying, cronyism, and corruption anymore. Kind of like someone else we all know over in Chicago-on-the-Potomac.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Isn’t Rahm the guy who angrily confronted another guy in the shower at a gym?

This guy is creepier than Biden is with biker waitresses.

Liam on January 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Well, given that rahm and lil barry enjoyed spending their mornings at the Chicago bath house “Man’s Country”, on a regular basis…what can one expect?

Solaratov on January 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM

American Spirit Arms Claims Bank of America Froze Funds

. . . and the argument that public policy can be set Fascist style, without any direct government action.

Tortious interference with a contract, anyone?

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I dunno. But if you say a contract was interfered with tortiously, than that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :)

Axe on January 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

So does that mean I have to buy their products with cash rather than debit card? Ok, I’ll do that. Give me the fully auto 5.56mm with the flash suppressor, extended magazine and bayonet lug. Oh and might as well throw in that pistol grip and cool black finish while you’re at it.

Browncoatone on January 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

New Steyn…

The Obama Simulacrum

M2RB: .38 Special

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Browncoatone on January 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

no barrel shroud? man you like em stripped down.

tom daschle concerned on January 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Browncoatone on January 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

i.e., what Dianne Feinstein thinks Marines fight with. :)

OT/Feinstein Gun Control Bill to Exempt Government Officials

Axe on January 25, 2013 at 3:29 PM

*o crap — my joke misfired; I read past “fully auto” — my bad. Too much coffee; I’ll slow down.

– carry on. :)

Axe on January 25, 2013 at 3:30 PM

It’s always refreshing when the libtards drop their disguise and show there fascist colors.

David in ATL on January 25, 2013 at 3:31 PM

affenhauer on January 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM

LOL! But it was an experiment for humanity!

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2013 at 3:41 PM

*then. I give.

Axe on January 25, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Wonder what Rahm would say if people started boycotting TD Bank and Bank of America?

Oh, I’m sure that would be “different”!

GarandFan on January 25, 2013 at 4:20 PM

It is TD & BoA who have the problem…

What does happen when Depositors start taking their money out of those financial institutions?

What happens when credit Card Holders start cancelling their Credit Cards?

CiLH1 on January 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM

verbaluce on January 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Whoa. I agree with you on something. There’s hope for you yet.

Bitter Clinger on January 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Or for you?
Likely we agree on plenty.

verbaluce on January 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM

verbaluce on January 25, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Body snatcher alert!!!
Where is the real verbalunatic and what have you done with him?
Did somebody hack his account?
This post is actually downright reasonable.
Something is wrong…..

dentarthurdent on January 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM

No, it’s me.
(Just think how busy rogerb is furiously combing through everything I’ve ever posted. He’ll be up all night.)

verbaluce on January 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM

If the membership of the NRA pulled out of B of A, I doubt they would survive…that’s the problem, the membership of the NRA has more money clout than Rahm, even with all of his veiled threats.

right2bright on January 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Had a card, BofA bought the issuer. We just paid it off. I’m cancelling tonight because of this.

cptacek on January 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Can we call Rahm a Fascist now?

Galt2009 on January 25, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Ruck Fahm.

Nutstuyu on January 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Do big banks really even serve their own costumers anymore?

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Who do these f*cking people think they are?

ronsfi on January 25, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Browncoatone on January 25, 2013 at 3:21 PM

No, Rahm’s trying to tell the banks to pull the companies lines of credit. A company typically uses it for working capital or short term cash needs.

Interesting that the financial term for these credit lines is a “revolver”.

BacaDog on January 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Isn’t this illegal?

JellyToast on January 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Isn’t this illegal?

JellyToast on January 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Well yeah, for those who aren’t above the law.

You have to understand that Rahm is part of the Chicago royalty – those folks care about everyone so darn much that it’s just too much too expect that they conform to the mere laws we mortals have to follow.

They only have our collective welfare in mind – we should just bow down and thank them for even thinking about we, the great unwashed.

Galt2009 on January 25, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Tiny Dancer Rahm pretending to be the tough guy again. What a little girly man.

Jaibones on January 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM

If they get away with this.. might as well start using it all the time. Imagine if the banks closed everybody’s account who was pro-life. Or voted Republican. Or had an SUV.

JellyToast on January 25, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Put it on Snopes: got a couple hundred dollars worth of hollow-point on the BoA card (Mrs A is gonna be pissed)…

affenhauer on January 25, 2013 at 3:14 PM

That’s my first real good chuckle of the day.

Thanks, affenhauer. : )

listens2glenn on January 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Tiny Dancer Rahm pretending to be the tough guy again. What a little girly man.

Jaibones on January 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Are you kidding?

I’m not saying he could stand up to “water-boarding”, but Rahm Emanuel is the most RUTHLESS Democrat elected to public office.

If anyone here can think of any other LIVING Democrat who can beat Rahm Emanuel for that title, I’d like to know who it is.

listens2glenn on January 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM

verbaluce on January 25, 2013 at 4:42 PM

bi tch hates it when its own words are used against it.

CW on January 25, 2013 at 6:47 PM

More bully tactics, just like Chik-Fil-A………..

SailorMark on January 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM

All companies show have banks that freeze their funds should pull their money out of those banks and find another bank.
Pull your business from those banks

As a realtor I know bank of America is in the pocket of this administration and by extension rahm

Delsa on January 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM

All companies who’s banks freeze their funds, should pull their money out of those banks and find another banks willing to take their business.
Pull your business from those banks ASAP

As a realtor I know bank of America is in the pocket of this administration IE Obama, and by extension rahm

Delsa on January 25, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Anyone still banking with Bank of Amerika should change banks. My opinion. Look at a small locally owned bank?

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM

The Chicago way….

sadsushi on January 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM

listens2glenn on January 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I don’t really know what you’re talking about. Ruthless? Whatever. I said he’s a little girly man. A sissy. A 5’3″ ballerina liberal.

Jaibones on January 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM

listens2glenn on January 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Jaibones on January 25, 2013 at 9:18 PM

“Ruthless” would be the highest example of “the end’s justifies the means”, line of thinking.

There is no action that is too evil or heinous for him, if it means accomplishing the end result(s) he desires.

What living Democrat do you believe beats Rahm Emanuel for that title?

listens2glenn on January 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I’m getting teased because I’m flying 1000 miles just to spend ONE DAY in Chicago.
Honestly, one day in that hell hole is gonna be more than enough.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Honestly, one day in that hell hole is gonna be more than enough.

annoyinglittletwerp on January 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM

You mean you’re not there, yet?

listens2glenn on January 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

“Would this even hold up in a court of law?”
It would hold up in a court where all the appointees were Democrat and leftist. And that’s what the left wants.

David Blue on January 26, 2013 at 12:22 AM

When are folks going to start calling it for what it is. Fascism.

old school on January 26, 2013 at 12:24 AM

More bully tactics, just like Chik-Fil-A………..

SailorMark on January 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM

That’s right. They’re not done while there are any conservatives left.

David Blue on January 26, 2013 at 12:25 AM

So, should the gun companies refuse to sell Chicago guns or ammunition for their police force?

Why would they sell to someone who is calling to have them put out of business? Seems a questionable business plan to do business with someone who wants you gone.

I want to see a company report they’ve cancelled all orders from the City of Chicago for ammunition. Then this’ll get fun in a hurry.

gekkobear on January 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Politicians are missing common sense, when we are drowning in debt stop spending. When criminals keep shooting up the innocent go after the criminals. What is so difficult?

mixplix on January 26, 2013 at 5:05 AM

When you can’t win in the marketplace of ideas, the people, the Courts…Well then you go for the Thug move.

“Nice company you have there….pity if something should happen to it.”

Bulletchaser on January 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Hey banks! Why don’t you stop serving cities and states with credit ratings that are worse than those of people you won’t give a loan to.

Old Country Boy on January 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Of course, Rahm still has no solution to Chicago’s claim to fame as the murder capital of the US despite strict gun laws that violate Second Amendment rights when the solution is plainly obvious.

Maybe Rahm should just blow it out his a$$. It might be more effective.

DevilsPrinciple on January 28, 2013 at 1:53 AM

gekkobear on January 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM

Let’s take that idea one step further and have ALL ammunition manufacturers cancel ALL orders for ammo for the City of Chicago and have ALL banks withdraw ANY and ALL lines of credit.

Emmanual is scum.