Quotes of the day

posted at 9:21 pm on January 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

Today, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit issued a decision finding that the Jan. 4, 2012 recess appointments of three members to the National Labor Relations Board were invalid. In response, Chairman Mark Gaston Pearce issued the following statement:

“The Board respectfully disagrees with today’s decision and believes that the President’s position in the matter will ultimately be upheld. It should be noted that this order applies to only one specific case, Noel Canning, and that similar questions have been raised in more than a dozen cases pending in other courts of appeals.

In the meantime, the Board has important work to do. The parties who come to us seek and expect careful consideration and resolution of their cases, and for that reason, we will continue to perform our statutory duties and issue decisions.”

***

Pearce, in short, is indicating that the NLRB’s strategy is to act as if the court’s ruling that the appointments were unconstitutional somehow only applies only to the particular case that went before the Appeals Court and hope that the White House can get the Supreme Court to quickly review the case.

It’s a pretty brazen strategy, but consistent with a broader administration strategy to simply ignore the court’s ruling.

***

Under the court’s decision, 285 recess appointments made by presidents between 1867 and 2004 would be invalid.

The Justice Department hinted that the administration would ask the Supreme Court to overturn the decision, which was rendered by three conservative judges appointed by Republican presidents. “We disagree with the court’s ruling and believe that the president’s recess appointments are constitutionally sound,” the statement said…

If the ruling stands, it would invalidate more than 600 board decisions issued over the past year. It also would leave the five-member labor board with just one validly appointed member, effectively shutting it down.

***

In the current atmosphere of partisan gridlock, which often involves thwarting of presidential nominations, the ruling provides a major new opportunity for a minority in the Senate to deny the President the authority even temporarily to put a new government officer to work in a vacant spot. When a vacancy arises while Congress is in session, and the Senate does not act on it, the President will not be able to fill it during the next time the Senate takes a break. The ruling came one day after the Senate chose not to make a major change in its filibuster rule, which is the main weapon of a Senate minority seeking to challenge presidential action…

The ruling, however, is not confined to the situation at the NLRB. As an interpretation of the Constitution’s words dealing with temporary government appointments, it would extend to all federal agencies whose officers are nominated by the President and require Senate approval — including federal judges. In practical effect, the decision basically will confine presidents to making government appointments in the usual way: sending nominees’ names to the Senate, and then letting the Senate proceed — or not — to give its “advice and consent” to such nominations.

***

The judges observed that no president from George Washington through Abraham Lincoln ever attempted to make an “intrasession” appointment (that is, an appointment when Congress was in session) without the advice and consent of the Senate, as Obama attempted to do. From the end of the Civil War through the end of World War II, only three such appointments were attempted. In the judges’ words, “[I]t is well established that 80 years after the ratification of the Constitution, no President [had] attempted such an appointment, and for decades thereafter, such appointments were exceedingly rare.”

***

Possessing only the dimmest memory that I’d written about the recess-appointment controversy before, I looked it up to remind myself of the details. Only then did I remember that … oh dear … I thought Obama’s recess appointments were probably unconstitutional at the time. Reviewing my arguments, and the facts, I find myself persuaded all over again. (For a contrasting view, read my TNR colleague Jon Cohn’s defense of the recess appointments.)

The Senate was not technically in recess. It was being kept by mischievous Republicans in a kind of self-induced coma over the Christmas holiday break, expressly to block Obama from making any recess appointments. So Obama basically said, “If it quacks like a recess, it’s a recess, so here come my recess appointments.” The problem with that approach is that there were comparable periods when the Senate was non-functional but clearly not in recess–say, weekends. Weekends quack like a recess too! Was Obama implicitly giving himself the power to make recess appointments 52 weeks a year? That didn’t sound kosher to me. Most troubling of all, nobody seemed able to come up with any persuasive precedents.

***

Here’s the deal. Senate Republicans have decided that the way to prevent regulations they don’t like is to simply refuse to confirm any nominees to any agency they don’t like. They’ve done it with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. They’ve done it with the National Labor Relations Board. And they’ve done it with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. “We don’t like these agencies so we’re going to starve them of people and resources.” It’s a classic Republican play…

The way to handle obstructionist senators isn’t by empowering the executive beyond constitutional limits. It’s for non-obstructionist senators to work within the rules to find solutions that allow the body to move forward on the people’s business despite the bad faith of a vocal minority.

***

Over the past year, many companies and conservatives have criticized Obama’s NLRB for issuing a slew of sweeping pro-labor rulings. But Kate Bronfenbrenner, a labor expert at Cornell, says the past year hasn’t been particularly unusual. Labor boards appointed by Democratic presidents tend to look more favorably on workers and unions, while those appointed by Republican presidents tend to side with employers.

“It’s always been a political agency,” she says, “and it always swings back and forth.”

Bronfenbrenner adds that if the D.C. Circuit Court’s ruling is upheld and the NLRB does have to shut down — and if it sees a year’s worth of work invalidated — that could make the agency even more dysfunctional in the years ahead. That’s because all of those cases from 2012 will have to be reheard, and new cases will keep piling up. “If and when the Senate finally does confirm new appointees, the new board will have to confront a huge backlog.”

***

Our constitutional-law-professor-in-chief ignored this advice and is now hoist on his own petard. He is worse off than he was when he started, because the court’s ruling invalidates all appointments made during recesses that occur in the middle of a Senate session…

The third setback for the administration is that many of the actions of the Consumer Financial Protection Board (CFPB) are in doubt as well. Richard Cordray, who received a purported recess appointment on the same day and in the same manner as the three invalid NLRB members, would have been the first head of that agency. Thus, no prior head of the agency could have made lawful delegations of authority. Moreover, the CFBP’s organic statute provides that no acting head may issue regulations. The eventual effect of today’s decision on pending and future CFPB actions will take many months to sort out, but the rest of the D.C. circuit is bound by the ruling today unless the entire court reverses it.

Our unilateral president must take his unilateral medicine.

***

Consider the utter chaos caused by Obama’s power grab. In all likelihood, the rulings in the cases above will be voided. What happens to the employee who paid money into a union as a result of one of those cases? An employer who had to pay higher wages or pay money into a union pension plan? What if an employer had to shut down because of a union contract that he never should have been forced to sign? The myriad of complications and the economic and personal dislocation could be tremendous.

This, by the way, is the very reason why the rule of law is so valuable — it provides clarity, dependability and finality. But not in the Obama era.

***

***

Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

libfreeordie on January 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Well, if I ever needed a reason to abandon my atheism…

lol

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 11:12 PM

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Thank you! I’ll have to get ready for a Leftie onslaught!

Here’s a Nazi euthanasia poster from 1938.

English translation:
60000 RM
this is what this person suffering from hereditary defects costs the Community of Germans during his lifetime
Fellow Citizen, that is your money, too
Read ‘[A] New People’
The monthly magazines of the Office for Race Politics of the NSDAP

INC on January 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM
I am trying to goad some of the folks on here who “think that our collapse will never happen to us”. It is one of the reasons I give the Hot Air editors grief over playing along with the SCOAMF’s “SQUIRREL !!!” game.

You are a pompous a$$… Goad? Grief? Do you think we are all dumb as a box of rocks? Get off your high horse matey…

You just come in here and first you pounced on me for my response to someone else… that’s all you do, pounce…

Might I suggest a different ‘tone’ eh?

Right like you’d listen to me…

I don’t like your attitude…Goad, Grief?

Tigger went out, I have to stay up now for a while… :-)

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM

299 days is the best take I have seen on how it will all probably go down!

It is a series but so far it seems to keep a plausible track if your really paying attention.

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Those posters are so sobering because if you only tweak a few things you’ve got Obama & his cohorts at work.

INC on January 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM

We’re not “taking our country back”……..we’re watching it disappear over the horizon…..
We’re absorbing the last rays of light that humanity will ever give off…….
We’re huddling around this site that incites the Elitists – Liberal and Conservative, which are the same,
Rip the bones of the flesh of liberty apart and tear with their teeth at its bloody meat and gristle,
Throwing the bones and the lives of those who sacrificed to bring the body life
As though they didn’t even matter

These are the grimmest days of the end times…..

williamg on January 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM

109

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM

libfreeordie on January 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

…follow up on it… with the ThinkProgress report…will you turdfreeorpee ?…meanwhile…go back to dryhumping yourself!

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM

…(the Palin thread is still fun!)

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

You must feel the frustration even more keenly becuse you know from first hand experience just how quickly the U.S.S.R. disentegrated and what that meant for Eastern Europe.

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Frustrated is only the beginning of how I feel, it is now turning into disgust which is really unusual for me. My entire family watched that press conference by King Obama and the spectacle of it all coupled with the kids and the 23 EO’s for gun control and the Hillary circus a few days ago.

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM

So waddup all my dawgs and beechez ? :O ;-)
Like this :

Mark Zuckerberg will host a fundraiser for Christie next month at his home in Palo Alto, Calif.

The young tech billionaire and the Republican governor teamed up in 2010 when Zuckerberg pledged to donate $100 million to Newark’s public schools, which are under state control.

The Christie campaign said the fundraiser shows how much respect Christie has earned for taking on tough fights to reform and improve education.

burrata on January 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM

109.

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM

299 days is the best take I have seen on how it will all probably go down!

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM

One can only hope that it follows the 299 days projection, because the alternatives are far far worse.

SWalker on January 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Scrumpy, would you like a cup of tea accompanied by biscuits? I’m preparing the tea.

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM

As fire Marshall I can have a wet T shirt contest with the ladies anytime I want.
I just spray them with my fire hose because they are too hot.

SparkPlug on January 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM

SWalker on January 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I am really starting to get a little worried, I mean the next thing you’ll tell me you have also read Molon Labe and Defiance(aka Vandenberg). I mean having someone else think like me, while cool in some respects is quite chilling in others:)

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM

The thrill is gone.

Hi scrump. remind me again not to piss you off LOL

Tigger went out, I have to stay up now for a while… :-)

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Fred

jrsrigmvr on January 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Hey kool. I just fed BG some of her own medicine over there.

SparkPlug on January 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on January 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM

INC on January 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I have no lefty followers and I’ll put the German poster up tomorrow. Good work, Comrade.

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM

MarshFox, you have a doppelganger. ;-)

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 11:34 PM

I should have realized that—I’m sure they all know your thinking.

You’re welcome, Comrade!

INC on January 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM

My God

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Soon I Will summon Jackie.

Ok, I summon Jackie now.

SparkPlug on January 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I live in fly over country .. among the bitter clingers.

My perspective on the latest gun control effort is that it is an intentional distraction perpetrated not because the SCOAMF and his ilk expect anything to come of it (though any additional limitations they can get they will take) but because it allows the government/media to focus the attention of a large percentage of the population on something they care so deeply about that any real efforts to address the defecits, debt or runaway government growth will be lost in the “gun control” noise.

America appeasing China on their South & East China Sea “Prefecture” – LOST

Benghazi as a template for future outcomes for American outposts – LOST

Cabinet appointments of people who have OPENLY opposed America’s allies and national interests – LOST

Complete fabrication of economic reports – LOST

I was telling people worried about the government buying 1.4 billion hollow point rounds to calm down last summer … because any government attempt on the broad use of force against Americans outside of certain Blue strongholds will be brief, bloody and make Custer seem victorious at the Little Big Horn, by comparison.

A global economic collapse, on the other hand, will drive the WORLD back into the Dark Ages – and we are a hair’s breadth away from it occurring.

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM

New Steyn, if you missed my post this afternoon…

The Obama Simulacrum

M2RB: .38 Special

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Bmore, why did you decide to link to one of the imprecatory psalms? (I can guess, but I’m wondering).

INC on January 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Dire Straits on January 25, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Scrumpy’s poems are fun.

See you later in the Glade.

SparkPlug on January 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM

299 days is the best take I have seen on how it will all probably go down!

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Thank you for the reference, I will have to read the collection. My take is from 3 years of research, analysis and using tools certain mentors taught me over three decades ago.

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM

No, I think it is the other way around actually:) I am the younger one, plus I need to respect my elders opinions and insights, and SWalker has never shown me to be anything other than “Think like a man of action, Act like a man of thought”.

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM

INC on January 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Just wanted the troll to read the full psalm, read a critique of it, before passing judgement on its wrongful use.

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM

INC on January 25, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I thought his multiple posts regarding 109 did a good job of putting it in perspective.

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Who amongst us has no evil thought lurk in their minds when suffering?

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Will someone remind me why we still have an NLRB. Isn’t it rather irrelevant these days? We are no longer in the era of 27 cent an hour wages, twelve hour, six day work weeks. There is no company store, etc. vacations and bennies are standard offerings now.

herm2416 on January 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I played Tull, though having met Ian, still enjoy the tune. ; )

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM

OK so Matt Drudge has definitely outdone himself tonight with his main story pic!

can_con on January 25, 2013 at 11:49 PM

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Hey kool. I just fed BG some of her own medicine over there.

SparkPlug on January 25, 2013 at 11:32 PM

…that medicine will keep her up till 5 or 6 AM…800 or 1000 comments?…it’s a cold night!…hope she’s wearing more than just her left and right sock!

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Who amongst us has no evil thought lurk in their minds when suffering?

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM

When I was teaching my kids the use of deadly force, I stressed that one should only take a casual attitude to things they can undo.

Want someone dead?

Can you make them undead?

Then don’t idly speak of or wish for someone’s death.

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Thanks.

INC on January 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Aloud.

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:43 PM

The collapse, I think, would have come anyway, I think sometimes it is just the natural way of things, we became too big for our britches and God or nature, whichever you prefer, decides to become Nemesis knocking us down. Its a way of sorting out the wheat from the chaff and a reset if you will to start over and build a better mouse trap I suppose. I know too many analogies but they all seemed appropriate.

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 11:50 PM

libfreeordie on January 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

“What difference, at this point, does it make,” liveasaslaveanddie?

Solaratov on January 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:40 PM

We are and my family still predicts the collapse in first 6 months of 2016.

And I’m really disturbed by all of the folks on twitter who are linking to blogs that are now saying that Sandy Hook was a product of our Government in order to set the table for confiscation of weapons. Some offer up some serious questions. Where are Adam Lanza’s school/medical records?

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM

herm2416 on January 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Well, they could go and make themselves useful on this problem:

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Overreach??!!??..That is a understatement..:)

Dire Straits on January 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Biden is clinically insane and Clinton has amnesia.

And yet they outsmart the rinos all the time.

SparkPlug on January 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on January 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM

SparkPlug on January 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Will do..:)

Dire Straits on January 25, 2013 at 11:55 PM

SWalker on January 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I am, as the old saying goes, “Well read”. One of the side affects of having been born with clubbed feet was learning to read at a young age, and having lot’s of time to do so. By my early 40′s when my eyesight required me to wear glasses, my reading of real books as opposed to stuff on the internet, had slowed down. Had I a copy of every book I have ever read in my library, the library would consist of around 10,000 books.

As to just how voracious my reading appetite was, it took me two days to read Crime and Punishment. Perhaps the single longest time it took of any book I ever read was the “Tale Of Genji” By the Lady Murasaki Shikibu, written in the year 1021 and widely considered to be the very first full fledged genuine novel ever written. That actually took me a full week to read.

SWalker on January 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

My attitude is so bad it scares me.

See you at the camp.

davidk on January 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Well, y’all try to get sent to the same camp. It’ll save this old warrior a lot of time breaking you out. I’m too old and tired to do a lot of traveling.

Solaratov on January 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Do AP and the rest work on commission for the threads they post and the hits it gets, just wondering, guessing AP gets some cha-ching tonight from everyone!

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

If you want Scrumpy to come back pronto just put on a kilt guys.

SparkPlug on January 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Wonder what Akin is upto. The ‘party bosses’ sure did get him, huh….. /sarc

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM

I played Tull, though having met Ian, still enjoy the tune. ; )

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Ian Anderson was someone I always wanted to meet, though I always suspected he was more than a tad bit eccentric.

SWalker on January 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Solaratov on January 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

ROTFLMAO… I live in Kalifornia, when the time comes, they’ll just build a wall around the whole damned state.

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM

SWalker on January 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

I read Crime in one day but I never finished Punishment. (:

Anyway it’s cool you read a lot, I can tell since you sure know many things and have a good blog.

SparkPlug on January 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Spark, I’m a ‘kilt guy’. ;-)

tommy71 on January 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 11:52 PM

The video that is getting the most attention is a waste of time.

Babbling idiots like the “guy with six kids from the school” are hanging around the edges of every real life horror story seeking attention. Usually, they never get on the air.

Adam Lanza’s school/medical records don’t concern me – I am sure he was a complete nutcase.

I had one working directly for me once … and the only reason “upper management” clued me on just how dangerous he was …

(I mean, I knew he was odd but I didn’t know he had previously nearly succeeded in killing his father … who was one of the upper management guys)

… was when he disappeared from home and made threatening calls to “come in and kill people”.

The take away from Newtown that the media is furiously ignoring – why did it take 20 minutes for the first police units to arrive on scene after an “active shooter” alert had been received?

20 minutes and the police station is 2.6 miles from the school.

PolAgnostic on January 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM

…help do 1000 on the Palin thread!

KOOLAID2 on January 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM

20 minutes and the police station is 2.6 miles from the school.

PolAgnostic on January 26, 2013 at 12:01 AM

With all due respect, blaming Sandy Hook on the Obamanation Administration sounds and feels to much like Blaming 9/11 on the Bush Administration for my tastes. If you have rock solid evidence, I will listen, but if you’re “Just asking questions” I don’t have any time for you.

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on January 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Dire Good Evening to you. I hope you didn’t misinterpret my message to you on the Palin thread. It was moving along at a pretty good clip. ; )

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I was at the Air Force base the day they brought the alien bodies in.

There were three of them. Their eyes, I’ll never forget their eyes. Big and black like insects. They had skinny arms and big heads. Their heads I’ll never forget their heads.

I had the carry parts of their saucer into the hanger. Once i rotated the tires I took it out for a spin when no one was looking.

SparkPlug on January 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

SWalker on January 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Yes eccentric is a very diplomatic way to put it. Quite full of himself, beyond even the norm for the industry. Still though I have always enjoyed the work. ; ) I suspect you might/would possibly be disappointed.

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM

SWalker on January 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Were I to read have as much as you I would consider myself a very accomplished man! Is Jefferson as dear to you as he is to me, you know he said he couldn’t live without his books, I am building my library as I go I want to have it surrounding me in my later years so that I can read and take my place as a sage such as you and Schadenfreude. It shows great character of a man to overcome such difficulties in life, I know that from previously there have been more than clubbed feet. My wife, Mrs Marshfox(Lila Munro) is also and avid reader, and if you would like some spicy entertainment while enjoying a good read might I suggest some of her writing for a selection:) I hope someday we get to meet, I am quite sure that it would be quite like the scene from the Shooter, where he goes out to see Levon Helm about paper patching. I read your articles with great admiration, and look forward to them always.

MarshFox on January 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Once i rotated the tires I took it out for a spin when no one was looking.

SparkPlug on January 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I was wondering who dented the front left fender… o_O

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM

…help do 1000 on the Palin thread!

KOOLAID2 on January 26, 2013 at 12:03 AM

You know me always have your back Kool, what does it lack?

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM

SWalker on January 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

You should put a list of the books you have read on your blog. Oh and get a Kindle so you can blow up the fonts for easier reading. I’m looking at Amazon right now and Crime and Punishment appears to be free.

JPeterman on January 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Kool, it needs 175, that’s a good bit at this hour. I’ll go back over and do something. ; )

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

No problem at all sir..:)

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM

MarshFox on January 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM

The Shooter was a very good movie..imho..)

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM

My bad, I thought I had made clear that Adam Lanza was a severely disturbed individual who committed the crime on his own.

My point about the 20 minutes is, having done a ride along, 20 minutes is 4 or 5 times longer than any LEO would take to respond to an “active shooter” alert. One of the pieces of paper I had to sign to get in the car was a legal acknowledgement of the risks I would be taking with the big ones like “death by accident during high speed response” being clearly spelled out.

I am NOT saying there was a government conspiracy that perpetrated the crime. I am saying the ridiculously long response time has been studiously avoided to spare some local REMF’s a$$.

PolAgnostic on January 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:15 AM

One of my favorites, so is Levon really, his music is awesome.

MarshFox on January 26, 2013 at 12:20 AM

MarshFox on January 26, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I hear you..Have you read the Book Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter that the movie is based on??..:)

PS..I have not read it..But I need to..According to a friend who has read it..:)

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:24 AM

MarshFox on January 26, 2013 at 12:09 AM

I find a great fascination not just in Jefferson, but all of the Founding Fathers, though I must confess, it is George Washington’s prose which gives me the most chills when I read it. Thomas Jefferson could be very thought provoking, but Washington was, well it’s hard to describe, he was thoughtful, logical, precise, and yet eloquent and visionary at the same time. Also, truth be told, my favorite of the Founding Fathers was Sam Adams.

As to my own articles, I always worry that I am not putting enough information in them to connect all the dots, or that I am mis-connecting the dots. I am not a conspiracy theorist and do not buy into conspiracy theories. I believe in looking at existing patterns and attempting to understand what those patters are telling us. I don’t claim to always be right, and believe that most of the time, the simplest explanation is usually what really is going on.

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:24 AM

I have as a matter of fact, it is great, they took liberties with the movie obviously, but both are worth the time:)

MarshFox on January 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM

SWalker on January 25, 2013 at 11:57 PM

JPeterman on January 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Oh goodness that would be a long list. I have read most of the great works of “Classical Literature”. At lest the ones translated into English that is.

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM

libfreeordie on January 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I think Hillary said it best… “what difference at this point does it make?”…

RalphyBoy on January 26, 2013 at 12:30 AM

MarshFox on January 26, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Thanks..Sounds like I do need to read it..:)

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Read up through the third novel, “Time To Hunt”.

It has one of the best lines in any book I’ve ever read just before the end.

You’ll understand if I stop there because it would be a shame to spoil it for you.

PolAgnostic on January 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:11 AM

bluegill is encouraging someone who hates Palin to get there own blog…didn’t know she had an anal comic streak!

KOOLAID2 on January 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Good Friday evening to all!

4Grace on January 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Does that include Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies??..:)

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

get there own blog

..their

KOOLAID2 on January 26, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Kool, I just made 12 comments or so over there. I need a break to say hi to the lovely and talented one.

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:25 AM

I agree that the Founders are a great study, Sam Adams(the first true American libertarian maybe?)Washington was in most respects the modern Cincinnatus, in almost all respects but it was Jefferson’s scientific nature that pulled me to him, especially his farming. The military was not my first choice as a career and I will like Jefferson return to my domestic pursuits eventually.

Your essays, are spot on, my wife and I have this discussion a lot about her writing as well, you engage a reader to think, as it should be, that is our problem today, no one can think, you however challenge us to think and for that I thank you greatly!

Conspiracy theories, mixed bag there, while I agree that most of the time the simplest is usually the answer, I have no illusions of what our government is capable of as I am sure you don’t either, and I guess in a way I have begun to distrust the immediate urge to label things as that because I have seen incidents marginalized that way to discredit, when in truth there was more to the story then we were told and by then it was too late.

MarshFox on January 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

I have a legal question. If the Labor Board is going to proceed as usual, does any person or business have a legal obligation to follow their dictates? I mean, can they just flip them the bird, or must everyone wait until SCOTUS rules?

4Grace on January 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Good Friday evening to all!

4Grace on January 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Well hello lovely and talented one. Been just missing you as of late. Trying to get in bed earlier. ; ) I trust all is well with you.

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:40 AM

PolAgnostic on January 26, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Wow..There are 3 novels?..What is the name of the one we have not mentioned??..:)

PS..Thanks for the comment..Looks like I have some reading to do!!..:)

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:40 AM

4Grace on January 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

You got me. What is this thing you call business?

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Does that include Animal Farm and Lord of the Flies??..:)

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Brave New World, 1984, Cannery Row, The Grapes of Wrath, Fahrenheit 451 and even A Clockwork Orange. Yea, pretty well covered the Dystopian future genera.

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

4Grace on January 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Good question..Very good question..:)

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Bmore! So great to see you. I so rarely make it here before you sign off.

4Grace on January 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM

SWalker on January 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Good deal..1984 is a classic..:)

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM

4Grace on January 26, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Kool has me returning a favor over on the Palin thread. He wants to hit 1000. Still a ways to go. ; )

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:40 AM

All is well, thanks for asking. I hope you & your better half are also well.

Have things slowed down a bit on your end? You’ve been in my prayers.

4Grace on January 26, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Violent Hollywood and the Death of Creativity ~ Charles Evered~

Great and timely article penned by a wonderful friend and colleague. Also, his independent film “A Thousand Cuts” is a tight, thought provoking thriller…that makes the case regarding film violence and society… and it’s thoroughly entertaining, too.

Someone mentioned on these threads recently that no one in the industry was taking film violence and its impact on society seriously. Here’s one gifted screenwriter/director/producer who is. :)

thatsafactjack on January 26, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Resist We Much on January 26, 2013 at 12:44 AM

HeII no! That dudes lips are a funny color. For reasons…..well lets just say I don’t wish to imagine the reasons. But HeII No!!!

Bmore on January 26, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Good question..Very good question..:)

Dire Straits on January 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Thanks, Dire. I honestly have no idea on matters such as this.

P.S. Great–as always–to see you!

4Grace on January 26, 2013 at 12:47 AM