Quotes of the day

posted at 9:21 pm on January 25, 2013 by Allahpundit

Today, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit issued a decision finding that the Jan. 4, 2012 recess appointments of three members to the National Labor Relations Board were invalid. In response, Chairman Mark Gaston Pearce issued the following statement:

“The Board respectfully disagrees with today’s decision and believes that the President’s position in the matter will ultimately be upheld. It should be noted that this order applies to only one specific case, Noel Canning, and that similar questions have been raised in more than a dozen cases pending in other courts of appeals.

In the meantime, the Board has important work to do. The parties who come to us seek and expect careful consideration and resolution of their cases, and for that reason, we will continue to perform our statutory duties and issue decisions.”

***

Pearce, in short, is indicating that the NLRB’s strategy is to act as if the court’s ruling that the appointments were unconstitutional somehow only applies only to the particular case that went before the Appeals Court and hope that the White House can get the Supreme Court to quickly review the case.

It’s a pretty brazen strategy, but consistent with a broader administration strategy to simply ignore the court’s ruling.

***

Under the court’s decision, 285 recess appointments made by presidents between 1867 and 2004 would be invalid.

The Justice Department hinted that the administration would ask the Supreme Court to overturn the decision, which was rendered by three conservative judges appointed by Republican presidents. “We disagree with the court’s ruling and believe that the president’s recess appointments are constitutionally sound,” the statement said…

If the ruling stands, it would invalidate more than 600 board decisions issued over the past year. It also would leave the five-member labor board with just one validly appointed member, effectively shutting it down.

***

In the current atmosphere of partisan gridlock, which often involves thwarting of presidential nominations, the ruling provides a major new opportunity for a minority in the Senate to deny the President the authority even temporarily to put a new government officer to work in a vacant spot. When a vacancy arises while Congress is in session, and the Senate does not act on it, the President will not be able to fill it during the next time the Senate takes a break. The ruling came one day after the Senate chose not to make a major change in its filibuster rule, which is the main weapon of a Senate minority seeking to challenge presidential action…

The ruling, however, is not confined to the situation at the NLRB. As an interpretation of the Constitution’s words dealing with temporary government appointments, it would extend to all federal agencies whose officers are nominated by the President and require Senate approval — including federal judges. In practical effect, the decision basically will confine presidents to making government appointments in the usual way: sending nominees’ names to the Senate, and then letting the Senate proceed — or not — to give its “advice and consent” to such nominations.

***

The judges observed that no president from George Washington through Abraham Lincoln ever attempted to make an “intrasession” appointment (that is, an appointment when Congress was in session) without the advice and consent of the Senate, as Obama attempted to do. From the end of the Civil War through the end of World War II, only three such appointments were attempted. In the judges’ words, “[I]t is well established that 80 years after the ratification of the Constitution, no President [had] attempted such an appointment, and for decades thereafter, such appointments were exceedingly rare.”

***

Possessing only the dimmest memory that I’d written about the recess-appointment controversy before, I looked it up to remind myself of the details. Only then did I remember that … oh dear … I thought Obama’s recess appointments were probably unconstitutional at the time. Reviewing my arguments, and the facts, I find myself persuaded all over again. (For a contrasting view, read my TNR colleague Jon Cohn’s defense of the recess appointments.)

The Senate was not technically in recess. It was being kept by mischievous Republicans in a kind of self-induced coma over the Christmas holiday break, expressly to block Obama from making any recess appointments. So Obama basically said, “If it quacks like a recess, it’s a recess, so here come my recess appointments.” The problem with that approach is that there were comparable periods when the Senate was non-functional but clearly not in recess–say, weekends. Weekends quack like a recess too! Was Obama implicitly giving himself the power to make recess appointments 52 weeks a year? That didn’t sound kosher to me. Most troubling of all, nobody seemed able to come up with any persuasive precedents.

***

Here’s the deal. Senate Republicans have decided that the way to prevent regulations they don’t like is to simply refuse to confirm any nominees to any agency they don’t like. They’ve done it with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. They’ve done it with the National Labor Relations Board. And they’ve done it with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. “We don’t like these agencies so we’re going to starve them of people and resources.” It’s a classic Republican play…

The way to handle obstructionist senators isn’t by empowering the executive beyond constitutional limits. It’s for non-obstructionist senators to work within the rules to find solutions that allow the body to move forward on the people’s business despite the bad faith of a vocal minority.

***

Over the past year, many companies and conservatives have criticized Obama’s NLRB for issuing a slew of sweeping pro-labor rulings. But Kate Bronfenbrenner, a labor expert at Cornell, says the past year hasn’t been particularly unusual. Labor boards appointed by Democratic presidents tend to look more favorably on workers and unions, while those appointed by Republican presidents tend to side with employers.

“It’s always been a political agency,” she says, “and it always swings back and forth.”

Bronfenbrenner adds that if the D.C. Circuit Court’s ruling is upheld and the NLRB does have to shut down — and if it sees a year’s worth of work invalidated — that could make the agency even more dysfunctional in the years ahead. That’s because all of those cases from 2012 will have to be reheard, and new cases will keep piling up. “If and when the Senate finally does confirm new appointees, the new board will have to confront a huge backlog.”

***

Our constitutional-law-professor-in-chief ignored this advice and is now hoist on his own petard. He is worse off than he was when he started, because the court’s ruling invalidates all appointments made during recesses that occur in the middle of a Senate session…

The third setback for the administration is that many of the actions of the Consumer Financial Protection Board (CFPB) are in doubt as well. Richard Cordray, who received a purported recess appointment on the same day and in the same manner as the three invalid NLRB members, would have been the first head of that agency. Thus, no prior head of the agency could have made lawful delegations of authority. Moreover, the CFBP’s organic statute provides that no acting head may issue regulations. The eventual effect of today’s decision on pending and future CFPB actions will take many months to sort out, but the rest of the D.C. circuit is bound by the ruling today unless the entire court reverses it.

Our unilateral president must take his unilateral medicine.

***

Consider the utter chaos caused by Obama’s power grab. In all likelihood, the rulings in the cases above will be voided. What happens to the employee who paid money into a union as a result of one of those cases? An employer who had to pay higher wages or pay money into a union pension plan? What if an employer had to shut down because of a union contract that he never should have been forced to sign? The myriad of complications and the economic and personal dislocation could be tremendous.

This, by the way, is the very reason why the rule of law is so valuable — it provides clarity, dependability and finality. But not in the Obama era.

***

***

Click the image to listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 6

@bazil9 and Scrumpy *waves*

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM

bazil9 on January 25, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I knew you and Scrumpy would be best buds. I hope your ankle gets better. Ill run slow so you can catch me for hugs.

SparkPlug on January 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Caught your action yesterday on the females on frontlines issue, great work,

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Thanks. It means a lot coming from a military guy. As you’ve probably guessed, I have never been in the forces and probably wouldn’t last a week because people telling me what to do almost always automatically makes me do the opposite. Plus, they’d need to redesign the uniforms!

Anyhoo, I did a lot of research and, since “it’s the internet” and I lack personal knowledge, I am very grateful that I passed the military dude’s – that would be you :-) – test.

I was quite surprised at how it is now. I can only imagine what the military will be like after a bunch of Sandra Fluke-characters get through with it. The battlefield is no place for affirmative action.

two quick points, did a survey yesterday on the topic, the females in my unit, there kids really my daughters age, they were all about it, but when I said well what happens when it goes full monty, selctive service and your daughters can get drafted, yeah not so much. They had no thought to second and third order effects either, I asked how many would be willing to cut all their hair off like the men, they gave me deer in the headlights look. Why was that important, it was a second and third order affect for integration in another branch of the military. Cost the tax payers millions. What you say, yep, pipes, changing the pipes on subs to allow for female hair, not clogging the pipes. I love it when people rush to good idea fairies without thinking it through! Equality is great til the bill comes in then not so much! The libs complain about the cost of the military and while I know we could cut much, some of this will ironically cost more than they can even fathom!

Our government is sooooo brilliant, isn’t it? lol

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM

CoffeeLover on January 25, 2013 at 9:55 PM

I read that. It’s more cold-blooded manipulation of those who grieve.

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Thanks again! I used to have one of those small plastic babies. I’m glad to have the photo!

INC on January 25, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 9:53 PM

One of my fave guilty pleasures…

ccrosby on January 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM

SparkPlug on January 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Bazil9 is Queen of the Jungle…

I have always liked Bazil9!! Whats not to like?!

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:04 PM

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Nice to have you join the party!!

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Obama: Just do whatever I tell you and we’ll find out later if the courts say it’s legal.
Courts: It’s not legal.
Obama: The courts are wrong.
Courts: It’s still not legal.
Obama: Yeah? Who’s gonna stop me, the Justice Department?! BWAHAHAHA!! Kneel before Zod!!!

John the Libertarian on January 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

INC. For the life of me I can’t understand how conservatives heart break for those Moms and Dads and wouldn’t go there…but the Dems seem to not even blink and eye and go for it that brazenly. Maybe I am just getting old.

CoffeeLover on January 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

John the Libertarian on January 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Spot On!! The dice are loaded in his favour… it’s unfortunate for us…

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

A good decision by the court. A ballsy move. The admin (whether they like to admit it or not) is in a pickle.

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

@Scrumpy Have the meds helped? Hope so. Praying for you.

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Courts: It’s not legal.
Obama: The courts are wrong.
Courts: It’s still not legal.

John the Libertarian on January 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Yeah…*sigh*

Who is Zod, though?

22044 on January 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM

222044…I was just going to ask same thing!

CoffeeLover on January 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Wasn’t one of Obama’s recent Executive Orders a sort of Post-It Note to remind him to NOMINATE someone to head the ATF?

Maaaan, those Republicans and their MK-ULTRA! They mind-controlled Obama to leave a vacancy forever and then write an EO reminding him to appoint a Director.

…And, Bobby Jindal claims the GOP is “The Stupid Party” (it is, but that’s not the point)…

The next thing we will hear is the Mullahs in Iran bytching and moaning that Boehner, Paul, Ryan, Cantor, etc, were jumping up and down in bikinis and triggered an earthquake.

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Not yet… I am on a liquid diet, gatorade and water and jello, 2 days now… I am hungry!! Ty for asking…

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

22044 You don’t know Zod? Really? I must be older than I thought. Hmm. :-)

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Gee golly whiz, you mean what’s sauce for Bush is sauce for Obama?

Who knew? Well just about everyone not a liberal.

Does this mean all of wrong headed actions of the chuckleheads his majesty appointed against the law, are null and void?

Speakup on January 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

What a visual, but I am so laughing behind this monitor.

CoffeeLover on January 25, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Yeah…*sigh*

Who is Zod, though?

22044 on January 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM

222044…I was just going to ask same thing!

CoffeeLover on January 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM

It’s from a Superman flick.

predator on January 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

CoffeeLover on January 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

They are incredibly hardened. Power is their god they’ve sacrificed anything and anyone for.

INC on January 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

No they’re not, the Regime is going to ignore it. Business as usual with these Commies.

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I pray you are right.

But this SOB tends to get away with crap no other president even thought of (not that they probably wouldn’t have if given the opportunity).

ccrosby on January 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

John the Libertarian on January 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Spot On!! The dice are loaded in his favour… it’s unfortunate for us…

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

So … your combined take on things is just give up?

Or am I missing something?

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Hi Tommy!

Awww..scrump and Spark..blush.

Time to mini poof-scrump style-

bazil9 on January 25, 2013 at 10:13 PM

bazil9 likes to poof and go unicorn riding. ;-)

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM

PALIN 2016!!!!1!!!1!

Just in case bluegill is here.

kim roy on January 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM

ccrosby: I love guilty (and mischievous) pleasures!!

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM

John the Libertarian on January 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Spot On!! The dice are loaded in his favour… it’s unfortunate for us…
Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:06 PM

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Ummmmmmmmm no… how did you get that idea?

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I don’t think I have ever seen anything that you have done that wouldn’t pass my test:) Your work is outstanding! Mrs Marshfox(Lila Munro) uses my unique skill set a lot in her books, guess you could say I am consultant, so if you have a question by all mean ask. So you know, I don’t march lock step either, been that way my whole career actually. I guess you could say that I am like the Captain on Das Boat, if you noticed he was a professional but not a Nazi, like his first officer. I am here for the kids now mostly, they deserve a chance at least! I don’t want robots, I want independent thinkers! On the Sandra Fluke thing, it is inevitable, but I think after about ten years it will all come to light. Most females we have now, have suffered from some type of hip stress fractures at one time or another, mostly from long marches with heavy weight and that has been for short duration of training. Imagine that multiplied once 5 to ten years happens. That area is softer than a males just due to the fact that you have a very special gift, of being able to give life, but it doesn’t hold up well under constant stress because it wasn’t made that way. So we shall see. Btw, glad to hear your getting out of NYC, great move:) Oh, did you ever see my question to you about the 17th Amendment and its validity as far as being ratified corretly?

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

A little OT, but…

Ace’s headline on SP was:

Sarah Palin Departing Fox

One of the comments:

Could be a different headline altogether with the addition of one small comma.

Sarah Palin, Departing Fox

predator on January 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

@22044 and kim roy I’ve not entered the Palin thread. Was it as bad as I thought it would be?

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Fight the Good Fight

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

predator on January 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Yeah kinda like, Panda eats shoots and leaves…

Place comma appropriately :-)

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I noticed! ;-)

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Kind of bad in a good way. Eventually it became an early QOTD, which was an improvement. :)

22044 on January 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM

thanks predator

CoffeeLover on January 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM

It was funny!!

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:21 PM

It’s from a Superman flick.

predator on January 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

President Zod…hmmm. :)

22044 on January 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

RWM I didn’t realize you were in NYC…left 20 yrs ago and all I miss is the bread and pizza!

CoffeeLover on January 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM

We are on agreement there…I wouldn’t be who I am now if not for a little guilty pleasure.

ccrosby on January 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Spin em!! Good song :-)

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Kid Rock

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Wish it was summertime sigh…

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I remember Zod very well. While growing up, used to be one of my favourite flicks. Hey, I’m not old. Surprising that some don’t know Zod. Isn’t HotGas filled with the you know, older folks?

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Ummmmmmmmm no… how did you get that idea?

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM

A Federal court has issued a broad ruling stating the NLRB is currently operating outside the law.

Chairman Mark Gaston Pearce of the NLRB has issued a FYVM statement that the NLRB will continue to operate outside the law.

They don’t have to wait on SCOTUS or anyone else before taking this action if they choose to do so.

So, the whole Zod thing … sounds defeatist – unless you folks things it’s sardonic or sarcastic which strikes me as inappropriate as Chairman Mark Gaston Pearce telling a Federal Court where to get off.

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

NLRB Board Chairman Mark Gaston Pearce

Translation:
UP … YOURS.

listens2glenn on January 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Gonna love you all and leave you, I am tired…

God Bless and Good Night!!

Ya’all sleep well {{HUGS}}

*vanish*

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Kid Rock

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

The instrumental part of that sounds like “Werewolves in London.”

predator on January 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Superman 1 and 2 right?

gophergirl on January 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Nite, Scrumpy.

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

That Levin piece was really helpful.

Jackalope on January 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM

@gg yep

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Most Federal judges will find you in contempt for verbally flipping them off, can issue a bench warrant for Chairman Mark Gaston Pearce’s arrest and hold him indefinitely until he acts in compliance with the Court’s finding. PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Love the sound of that, gives me something to live for.

Cindy Munford on January 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Take it as you will… I know what I mean’t…

listens2glenn on January 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Ty L2G!! yeah UP YOURS!! V

*vanish*

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 10:30 PM

<a href="http://wwpredator on January 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Yes it does!

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I will not be holding my breath waiting for that to happen. See Jon Corzine for further explanation.

This Regime is lawless and no one cares.

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Night Scrumpy! Love the pajamas! Good night Tigger!

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Goodnight, Scrumpy. I hope you get feeling better quickly.

INC on January 25, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Yes it does!

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Bad linky. Missing a “w” maybe?

predator on January 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Courts: It’s not legal.
Obama: The courts are wrong.
Courts: It’s still not legal.

John the Libertarian on January 25, 2013 at 10:05 PM

In this case, the companies affected by the NLRB decisions can simply stop abiding by those decisions. This isn’t like the oil permitting issue where positive action by government bureaucrats as required. In this case, the companies can stop doing what they were told and the actions of the government are unenforcible.

AZfederalist on January 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Hmmm. A lot of my peers might know about Zod. I admit, I don’t know the Superman movies too well.

On that note, I’ve gotta start winding down. Have a good night. :)

22044 on January 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Totally agree. No, I didn’t see your question about the 17th and ratification. What was it specifically? I’ll see what I can find. :-)

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Superman 1 and 2 right?

gophergirl on January 25, 2013 at 10:28 PM

BAd news for the Gophers. Sorry.

predator on January 25, 2013 at 10:35 PM

On that note, I’ve gotta start winding down. Have a good night. :)

22044 on January 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

‘Night, digits. You too, Scrumpy.

predator on January 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Nite, 22044

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Not sure what your definition of “bad” is, but it was fun! ;)

kim roy on January 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM

bazil9 on January 25, 2013 at 9:47 PM

It’s much nicer in the glade ask sparky… :-)

Scrumpy on January 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM

…yeah…just be careful on the balloon rides over the glade…the balloon drops unexpectedly…and the pilot starts screaming “LESS BALLAST”…”GET RID OF the BALLAST”…as he throws his clothes off…down to the glade…next thing you know…he’s neckked and looking at you…screaming “HELP”…”HELP”!
Smart little debil!

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM

A little night music for the gilled one.

M240H on January 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Well my cable came back on just in time to see us get beat.

I’m ready to kiss this week bye-bye.

gophergirl on January 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM

brb

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Slowhand

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

This Regime is lawless and no one cares.

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Jon Corzine is free because no prosecuting attorney has made ANY attempt to indict him for wire and securities fraud. Even more interesting … they haven’t indicted anyone else either.

(Watergate brought Nixon down because the “burglars” were thrown to the wolves.)

As I stated in my post, telling a Federal Court to STFU is NEVER a good idea. Separation of powers under the Constitution gives it broad latitude to insure its decisions ARE obeyed.

This is very sad … watching you all buy in to the “There’s nothing we or anyone else can do!” attitude.

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

@gg Don’t kick anything in frustration. Your sprained toe can’t take the pain. ;-)

tommy71 on January 25, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Now that I’ve gorged on a kill, I think I’ll retire to the lair. Full belly always makes me sleepy.

Good night all.

Oh, and screw the left.

predator on January 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Resist We Much on January 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Did a research paper for college, arguing for the repeal of the 17th. Thing was, there was a lot of evidence to suggest that it wasn’t ratified by the required number of States, which per the Constitution would make it null and void. I wondered why no one had challenged, but it was during the Wilson Era, that guy! Anyway, I wondered if there was a legal standing to challenge. I mean think about it, if there is no 17th, ObamaCare could theoretically have been killed. The implications, especially with the amount of Red states, the whole landscape of politics would change!

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Good night all.

Oh, and screw the left.

predator on January 25, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Goes without saying!

Good night. :)

kim roy on January 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Good night Predator! Great seeing you!

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Kid Rock

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I kinda like the Kid now.

I think he learned a lesson from being married to the petri dish of SDI’s.

ccrosby on January 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Not that we’ll forget, but it ain’t about hunting And I’m tired of hearing New Yorkers in the media talking about guns from the draconian-gun-law northeasterner-but-still-uniformed perspective, especially on Fox.

It ain’t about hunting, you bastiches!!

Who is John Galt on January 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I’m out too. If Jackie shows, tell her I’m sorry i missed her! Good Night Hot Air.

KCB on January 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM

On the media and propaganda:

The Institute for Propaganda Analysis (IPA) was established in 1937 because of concern over increasing propaganda from the Soviet Union and Germany. They worked for several years identifying propaganda techniques and writing about them.

I was taught the techniques in high school and I’m sure most of you recognize them as they’re being used, but I’ve been concerned about those who don’t realize how they’re being manipulated (the Kool-Ade drinkers don’t care), and I also wanted to quit talking about it and do what I could do to short-circuit and neutralize the MSM and Obama.

So in late November I started working to put some posts together on propaganda. Ie used a lot of the IPA’s work in writing them.

I’ve been going back and trying to re-edit them, but I decided to go ahead and mention this because of the earlier link to Ace. There are links to the posts on this page. #6 on shell games brings in work in the field of general semantics. There’s a g.s. professor who’s analyzed propaganda using g.s. principles, and I’ve quoted his work in the posts about specific propaganda techniques.

INC on January 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 10:40 PM

You are mistaken about my attitude, I am angry and I’m ready for the challenge of taking my country back. It just too bad that the majority think that our collapse will never happen to us.

I just returned from my holiday in Eastern Europe and I came home with a bad attitude. People need to wake up and open a history book. I am on your side.

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM

INC on January 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Bookmarked.

davidk on January 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM

My attitude is so bad it scares me.

See you at the camp.

davidk on January 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

INC on January 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Great link and work, funny how most don’t see that we were infested with these same socialists at least since Wilson. What I mean is the same strain that started those propaganda initiatives. The 1968 federal gun law was almost a word for word do over of what Hitler used on the Jews. Smedley Butler, two time MOH winner, was a socialist in his later years, leaning toward agreeing with the Nazis, and lets don’t forget old Lindberg or Pappa Joe Kennnedy and their socialist leanings. They were all around, and never left, but their thinking is ingrained now, and McCarthy was crucified! he was just aiming at the wrong target.

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM

“The Board respectfully disagrees with today’s decision and believes that the President’s position in the matter will ultimately be upheld.”

The National Labor Relations Board are Constitutional experts, now? That would be pretty interesting, since they aren’t experts in anything else and have a cumulative IQ that barely breaks into triple digits, as it is.

If these idiots find it reasonable to now insert themselves into Constitutional opining, now, then I think they ought to be held personally liable for the crimes against the Constitution that were committed to get them into their positions (that they gladly took, being Constitutional experts and everything) and that they are continuing to operate under. They need to see jail time at the end of this …. since they feel themselves Constitutional experts, now.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on January 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM

davidk on January 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM

We ain’t going to no camp brother, we will resist till the last!

MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM

libfreeordie on January 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Seriously funny stuff!

Thanks!

M240H on January 25, 2013 at 11:02 PM

davidk on January 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM
MarshFox on January 25, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Thanks!

This is a 1911 propaganda poster I found on Wiki. It could have been a diagram for the 2012 campaign.

I’ve also got a copy of a Stalin poster J. E. Dyer found.

INC on January 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I know you are on my side.

I am trying to goad some of the folks on here who “think that our collapse will never happen to us”.

It is one of the reasons I give the Hot Air editors grief over playing along with the SCOAMF’s “SQUIRREL !!!” game.

The global economy has NEVER had more major connections on the verge of breaking down literally OVERNIGHT.

You must feel the frustration even more keenly becuse you know from first hand experience just how quickly the U.S.S.R. disentegrated and what that meant for Eastern Europe.

The bulk of people on here are unaware that the current government/media alliance is nothing more than a giant “SQUIRREL !!!” effort intended to give the appearance of strength and power just like the Potemkin villages from another era.

When the collapse comes, passive acceptance of the power structure being currently built out of thin air will be the only thing protecting the media/government.

PolAgnostic on January 25, 2013 at 11:03 PM

The Holy Bible: King James Version. 2000.
The Psalms
109

A Cry for Vengeance
To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.

1 Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;
2 for the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me:

they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.
3 They compassed me about also with words of hatred;

and fought against me without a cause.
4 For my love they are my adversaries:

but I give myself unto prayer.
5 And they have rewarded me evil for good,

and hatred for my love.
6 Set thou a wicked man over him:

and let Satan stand at his right hand.
7 When he shall be judged, let him be condemned:

and let his prayer become sin.
8 Let his days be few;

and let another take his office. Acts 1.20
9 Let his children be fatherless,

and his wife a widow.
10 Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg:

let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
11 Let the extortioner catch all that he hath;

and let the strangers spoil his labor.
12 Let there be none to extend mercy unto him:

neither let there be any to favor his fatherless children.
13 Let his posterity be cut off;

and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
14 Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD;

and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
15 Let them be before the LORD continually,

that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
16 Because that he remembered not to show mercy,

but persecuted the poor and needy man,
that he might even slay the broken in heart.
17 As he loved cursing,

so let it come unto him:
as he delighted not in blessing,
so let it be far from him.
18 As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment,

so let it come into his bowels like water,
and like oil into his bones.
19 Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him,

and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually.
20 Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the LORD,

and of them that speak evil against my soul.
21 But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name’s sake:

because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.
22 For I am poor and needy,

and my heart is wounded within me.
23 I am gone like the shadow when it declineth:

I am tossed up and down as the locust.
24 My knees are weak through fasting;

and my flesh faileth of fatness.
25 I became also a reproach unto them:

when they looked upon me they shook their heads. Mt. 27.39 · Mk. 15.29
26 Help me, O LORD my God:

O save me according to thy mercy:
27 that they may know that this is thy hand;

that thou, LORD, hast done it.
28 Let them curse, but bless thou:

when they arise, let them be ashamed;
but let thy servant rejoice.
29 Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame;

and let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle.
30 I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth;

yea, I will praise him among the multitude.
31 For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor,

to save him from those that condemn his soul.

Bmore on January 25, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Here’s the poster J. E. Dyer had of Stalin with a child.

“Stalinist affection illuminates the future of our children!”

I think I’m going to use it the next time the Dems pull another “for the children” stunt.

INC on January 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM

INC on January 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I just tweeted that out and then I’ll read it all.

And one more that just popped up on Twitter.

Link

JPeterman on January 25, 2013 at 11:09 PM

libfreeordie on January 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Gov. Steve Beshear, who has remained neutral during the presidential primary and who will serve as a Kentucky superdelegate at the national convention in August, avoided talking about the Democratic candidates by criticizing President Bush.

“When I mention that Democrats are problem solvers, I can think of only one Republican who can be a problem solver — that is Vice President Dick Cheney if he would just take George on a hunting trip,” Beshear said. Cheney accidentally shot fellow quail hunter Harry Whittington in Texas in 2006.

I place it in the same category as this…..

Barred on January 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM

…where’s Lanceman?

KOOLAID2 on January 25, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I pray you are right.

ccrosby on January 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM

There have been one President before who in my opinion is far worse than Obama on every level, from socialism to power grab… His name was FDR… The worst President ever…

mnjg on January 25, 2013 at 11:11 PM