Video: Are liberals less tolerant than conservatives on line?

posted at 9:01 am on January 24, 2013 by Ed Morrissey

Let me preface this segment by expressing my skepticism about “studies” showing cognitive or behavioral differences based on descriptions like “liberal” and “conservative.” I’m skeptical when they attack conservatives as less intelligent; I’m skeptical when they attack liberals as less tolerant.  I’ve known plenty of liberals and conservatives about whom both of these descriptions can apply. If I had to choose which side is more tolerant overall based on my own experiences, I’d choose conservatives — but that’s a subjective point of view based on personal observation, and not packaged as a “study.”

With that said, Kirsten Powers thinks that this George Washington University study actually gets it right:

Democrat Kirsten Powers agreed with this sentiment, relaying from her own personal experiences engaging with liberals and conservatives, surmising that the former tend to be less tolerant because they are used to controlling the media. …

Powers explained that after getting out of her own “Democratic bubble,” she noticed that conservatives tend to be more open to hearing opposing viewpoints than liberals.

“Liberals, because they are used to controlling all the media, pretty much, academia, that for them, when they hear things that don’t jibe with what they want to hear, it’s very disconcerting and unsettling to them.”

Powers added that most of these liberals are generally shocked about dissenting views because they just assume everyone believes their beliefs are just common sense. Kate Obenshain agreed with Powers, saying that when conservatives on college campuses openly disagree with liberal orthodoxy, they are charged with “violating the campus speech codes.”

I’d note that the campus speech code issue isn’t an online problem, but a comprehensive problem on universities.  They want to champion Free Speech, but when Free Speech produces an Ann Coulter appearance or even a dissenting viewpoint on a Free Speech Wall, well … at that point, “not every opinion is valid .”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The word tolerance is a PC club used to silence dissent. Tolerance for stupidity and evil is just plain stupid and evil.

Flange on January 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

…yes!…look at our trolls!

KOOLAID2 on January 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Ed: How about making this an open thread to see how many ‘tolerant’ liberals show up–as if those already running rampant here don’t answer the question.

Liam on January 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Is the ban hammer being vindicated here?

ted c on January 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I believe we can let the Boss Emeritus’ inbox answer this one – Most certainly yes.

Steve Eggleston on January 24, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Is Obama a communist?

(that’s a rhetorical question. So is the headline)

wildcat72 on January 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I thought the KP desk was manned by AP?

Blake on January 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Please reference the recent postings of chumpThreads on the Women in Combat Thread and thuja on the Abortion Thread for the answer.

kingsjester on January 24, 2013 at 9:10 AM

KP’s a cutie but she doesn’t think Dallas is liberal? How about Austin? It’s the Southern version of SF, honey. San Antonio and Houston are similarly affected.

Sheila Jackson Lee isn’t the creature from the chocolate lagoon, she’s from Houston.

Oy.

CorporatePiggy on January 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Anywhere you have a dominant ideology in the world you would have dissenters seen as kooky. Since we have a dominant liberal media we have an atmosphere where liberals can think anyone outside of liberalism is kooky. You can’t pretend liberalism doesn’t exist if you are conservative in the way you can pretend conservatism doesn’t exist because of the MSM drumbeat. Abortion being a perfect example. If you followed the abortion issue on the MSM Only you would conclude only kooky people thnk a fetus is a person because THAT idea is never mentioned in the way “women’s rights” are pounded in the text of reporting.

Conan on January 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I am also skeptical BUT I’ve got to say there does seem to be a pattern. The more liberal the more likely that you are “wrong” if you don’t get in lockstep with the liberal talking points.

We see it all the time when it comes to issues of faith. If you aren’t willing to denounce Christianity (or any faith other than atheism) as a myth then you are some sort of fundamentalist clinger that the Westboro Baptist Church considers a radical.

We see it on “womens’ issues.” If you don’t consider Sandra Fluke to be the Rosa Parks of the sluts-rights movement then you hate women and want to see them dead of some sort of vague cause.

We see it on global warming/climate change. If you don’t buy into faux science then you are deemed to be in denial.

I could go on but the pattern is clear. Liberals may or may not be intolerant but they definitely dismiss any opinions but their own.

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Is the sky blue?

22044 on January 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM

At least Democrat Underground is “honest” about it-they state up front that dissenting viewpoints will result in Tombstoneing. And to their credit, they also do not tolerate their members exposing the personal info of those they disagree with, something that some here on Hot Gas have done on rare occasion.

About 15 years ago I was a member of an online music discussion group that leaned Left, but was not explicitly political in nature. One day, the List Owner, who was the definition of Flaming Leftist, Introduced us all via some lengthy quotes to a Leftist dude I’d never heard of before, one Eric Alterman. I was appalled by what was posted, and did some research on the guy.

When I posted to the group some of the results of my research, which included direct quoted criticisms of Alterman by his fellow work colleagues and interns who worked for him (he “wrote” for The Nation at the time), the owner of the list banned me. And then after a period of reflection revoked the ban, because he realized it made him look like quite the intolerant fool. But I never went back.

Del Dolemonte on January 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Video: Are liberals less tolerant than conservatives on line?

…I think it’s about time… that WE WIN AT SOMETHING!
Change our attitudes!

KOOLAID2 on January 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Conan on January 24, 2013 at 9:14 AM

It’s worse than that. Conservatives want to see liberalism so defeated no one ever wants to believe in it again. Liberals, on the other hand, want to see Conservatives themselves put away if not wiped away, so on one can ever again argue against the liberal dream.

Liam on January 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I hope we taxpayers did not pay for this study. The facts are self evident. —

CNN — Piers Morgan
MSNBC — Chris Matthews

5 minutes, study concluded.

Dr. Dog on January 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Are liberals less tolerant than conservatives on line?

…is feces an excrement?

KOOLAID2 on January 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Flange on January 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Good point but I think it may be losing its power. As we become more polarized and see the left shred the Constitution so that they can steamroll religious institutions, ban private ownership of guns, and further other long-term leftie projects…. Well the stigma of being called intolerant somehow doesn’t matter anymore. Put another way. I will defend the religious freedom and the right to keep and bear arms even if some limp wristed troll deems it “intolerant” that I think sluts can pay for their own contraception and owning a firearm has nothing to do with hunting.

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

My tolerance wears thin when commenters come here with the intent not to communicate honestly but to simply troll. Suffering fools is certainly not my strong suit.

Bmore on January 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Twenty years on political chat sites and message boards, I find conservatives are generally much more considerate of others, willing to listen to the arguments of the opposition, and more likely to agree to disagree. In fact, the liberals I’ve run into run the gamut from nasty, to morally superior, to downright rabid.

Paul-Cincy on January 24, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Kate Obenshain agreed with Powers, saying that when conservatives on college campuses openly disagree with liberal orthodoxy, they are charged with “violating the campus speech codes.”<str

Conservative students at Texas A&M just found this out when they protested this.

docflash on January 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Liberals are in short supply having been overrun by leftist/progressives.

Bmore on January 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Man plows car through bar; says he was upset about political argument

1/13/13 WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Investigators say Friday night, 26-year-old Jacob Spivey drove into the side of Katy’s on South College Rd. on purpose.

Police say Spivey got into a political argument with a fellow patron at Katy’s restaurant and bar.

They say he was so upset he left the bar and got in his car, but not to leave.

Detectives say Spivey drove his car through the wall of the restaurant in an attempt to run down the woman he had argued with.

That woman was sent to the hospital with severe cuts and broken bones but is expected to be okay.

Police later found Spivey and they say he admitted he drove through the restaurant on purpose.

Spivey was charged with hit and run causing serious injury, reckless driving, injury to real property, and 11 counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

The damage to the building is estimated to be about $50,000.

Spivey is out of jail tonight under a $100,000 secured bond.

Jacob Spivey is a registered Democrat.

sentinelrules on January 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Jacob Spivey is a registered Democrat.

sentinelrules on January 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM

He must have been one of them blue-dog Reagan Democrats. /

Liam on January 24, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Are liberals trolls?

Electrongod on January 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM

My Liberal African-American(Black Guy) neighbor shocked me the other day, he thinks we ought to drug test welfare recipients, Shocked I tell you!

Drill and Fill on January 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Does anyone have the link to the George Washington Study?

neoavatara on January 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM

First, I don’t like painting all groups with a broad brush. Whether liberal or conservative- I don’t believe one description or trait defines all people in those groups.

But you cannot ignore those groups are defined by ideology. So there are a set of beliefs and principles which guide one’s inclusion in them.

That being said, liberalism is more ethereal in the sense it is guided by emotions, hopes, visions or theories. Conservatism is defined by a set of established principles rooted in facts, actual experience, history and proven theories.

We’ve tried both over years of human existence and it is pretty clear what works and what does not.

So in conclusion, when one argues facts and historically proven outcomes, it is much easier to become passionate rather than emotional. As Ms. Powers also put it, most Conservatives are therefore more tolerant, open to rational argument, more willing to be engaged and intellectual.

Liberals generally have a garrison mentality and are therefore defensive in an emotional sense. They are irrational because their arguments fail to pass basic logic, are not proven in any meaningful historical sense and in many cases demonstrably false. Hence the proclivity towards an emotional response.

IMVHO

Marcus Traianus on January 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Video: Are liberals less tolerant than conservatives on line?
================================================================

Um,if LibTards are on Righty Blogs,then…Yes they are!!

canopfor on January 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Well when I disagree with liberals and I’m considered hateful, then yes, they are more intolerant.

mrscullen on January 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

It’s certainly losing it’s power, like the race card, it’s been overused and those that haven’t been snookered by it at this point aren’t likely to be fooled by it in the future. And like you said, we’re going to be called this stuff anyway, so “what difference does it make”?

Flange on January 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

If anything, conservatives could use a lot more intolerance. Some shattered windows in the house of a teacher who turns her classroom into a bully pulpit for propaganda, a few group shots (into the air, of course) on a gun rally, a well-organized advertiser boycott or two… We often believe that the “mushy middle” will be attracted to virtue, whereas in fact they are much more effectively controlled by their fear.

Archivarix on January 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Drill and Fill on January 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Oh yeah

Refer to campaign 2012

cmsinaz on January 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Compare OWS gatherings vs. Tea Party ones – nuff said.

It is not arguable that leftists are immature human beings.

Anti-Control on January 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM

To me the crux of it, as pretty well covered in the video above, is it pains liberals when someone disagrees with them. It literally causes them pain, which, understandably, they’d like the pain to stop. If the conservative would go away, or just disappear, that would do it.

When someone disagrees with a conservative, the conservative is intrigued as to how the opposing argument meshes with their thinking process. Is their thinking process wrong, or can it be tweaked a little to accommodate this new information, or is the new information wrong.

Paul-Cincy on January 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Drill and Fill on January 24, 2013 at 9:28 AM
But what about the other shoe? What happens when a welfare recipient comes back with a dirty sample? You really think liberals would be willing to cut off their benefits?Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Nope. Taxpayer funded rehab.

Jabberwock on January 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

mrscullen on January 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I stay quiet around friends of my fiance who are overwhelmingly liberal, and I haven’t discussed whether I’m conservative. I just want conversation without politics.

However all it takes is a comment about religion or guns and there they go. They seriously discuss whether people should be shipped to different places in the country, whether it’s time to shut down discussion, and jail people for their opinions on climate change.

And I sit there, nursing my beer, quietly amazed by these tolerant, big tent progressives.

itsspideyman on January 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Archivarix on January 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I don’t agree with the third-world and thug-like tactics you suggest. And advertiser boycotts are never effective (and oftentimes out of the control of the advertiser).

That being said. I do think that conservatives should be more strident on these issues. They should stop seeking for common ground with an enemy looking for nothing less than your complete anihilation. Instead of looking in shock that some slutty law student would even suggest that the right doesn’t support women they should get in the faces of those like Sandra Fluke and scream at them the First Amendment right to religious freedom trumps their demands for free birth control.

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Are liberals less tolerant than conservatives on line?

Is a frog’s butt water-tight?

petefrt on January 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Judging from the extreme tolerance of Hot Air management with the left wing lunatics who write their insane communist and left wing crap on this site I will say yes conservatives are much tolerant than liberals in term of political expression… In my opinion that is a huge mistake…

mnjg on January 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Compare OWS gatherings vs. Tea Party ones – nuff said.

It is not arguable that leftists are immature human beings.

Anti-Control on January 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Tea Party — helps police do their job.
OWS — craps on police cars.

Tea Party — cleans up after themselves.
OWS — leaves a garbage dump wherever they go.

Tea Party — polite
OWS — rude

Paul-Cincy on January 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Archivarix on January 24, 2013 at 9:30 AM

While I don’t like such tactics at all, I don’t argue that they would be effective if used with extreme care. And let’s face it – we are fighting for our very freedom. EVERYTHING is on the line.

I fear in my lifetime I’m going to see a lot of rules thrown out the window by people who never thought they’d have to do so.

MelonCollie on January 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Huh. No trolls here. Imagine that.

Jabberwock on January 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

itsspideyman on January 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Family or not I would be quietly assessing the draw time of the pistol on my belt. When it comes to talk of shipping people off somewhere because of their personal views, all bets are off.

Bishop on January 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

See Hillary’s testimony and theatrics if you want to see what happens to a Liberal when presented with logic and facts, she was a 1 day case study all by herself….

hillsoftx on January 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Bishop on January 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

The only reason we don’t see the trolls here saying that more is fear of the ban hammer. They can’t cause trouble, or get paid to cause trouble, if they have no place to do it.

Liam on January 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

One example that comes to mind is a recent exchange had here at HA with a Conservative. His point is that I am not comporting myself in a Conservative way because of the way I fight back. I see his point however am in total disagreement with him. I have been too accommodating in the past to the overbearing views from the other side of the isle. As I have told him, this is going to change, the fight has been joined. I have elected to use some of the lefts methods against them. I have always been a live and let live kinda fellow. Still am, just not gonna put up with the lefts shit anymore. Time to call them out. Get in their face so to speak. Conservatism’s greatest challenge in my opinion is that it requires the individual to come to it pretty much on they’re own. Force will not work. One must embrace the philosophy all on they’re own. Lately I have not been looking to convert anyone, never really have much. I am however becoming much more combative. Is this not a feature of Conservative thought. Perhaps not , someone should have mentioned it to this guy then. At some point enough is enough.

Bmore on January 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I don’t agree with the third-world and thug-like tactics you suggest.

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Then you will be ruled, and eventually robbed of your God-given rights including personal freedom, by those who do. Because you cannot deny that these tactics work.

Archivarix on January 24, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Is the sky blue?

22044 on January 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM

NO, IT’S RED!!!

Shy Guy on January 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM

hillsoftx on January 24, 2013 at 9:42 AM

It was typical Clinton. When faced with legitimate but uncomfortable questions in the midst of a slobberfest about her wonderful job as SecState…. feign moral outrage, cry and attack the motives of the questioner.

My favorite moment from yesterday was not her “Why does it matter” comment. Rather he explanation that she wasn’t the one on those Sunday talk shows because she really doesn’t like doing those things. Our Secretary of State actually admitted that she let Susan Rice go out there and lie her ass off because she (Hillary) would rather not. Hillary went on to point out that her appearances are rare and the last time was a year and a half before Susan Rice was thrown under the bus. What she didn’t mention was that the last appearance was also about Lybia when Clinton went on the Sunday shows to do a victory lap about how great things were going and how much credit she and the rat-eared wonder deserved for those actions.

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM

So anti-gun liberals screaming that all NRA members should be shot isn’t tolerant? Huh.

Bishop on January 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Bmore on January 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I came to the same conclusions a long time ago, with the added quirk that I hate being nagged. Liberals have used the same tired lines for so long, with increasing rage, that I dig in my heels against them on that alone.

They also take personal affront any time other libs like Obama, Michelle, Matthews, Piers, etc. are criticized. We see all the time how the trolls come here loaded for bear, hurling insults at one/all of us even though the incoming attacker wasn’t mentioned.

Liberals don’t want facts, either, and they don’t answer pointed questions of fact. Here, as on other Conservative blogs, they also ignore direct questions of what they truly believe. Instead, they use the same old tactics to score a win.

And that’s all it’s about to them: Winning and everything it takes to get there.

Liam on January 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Bmore on January 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Dittos, Bmore. Dittos.

petefrt on January 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Try living in Canada if you want to see pervasive liberalism! And by that I mean socialism.

I sit in amazement as I watch the liberal party regurgitate US liberal talking points like “fair share” and the 1%.

Hot Air is my refuge of sanity!

can_con on January 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Let’s face it, just as fish swim in water that they never notice, liberals wallow in hypocrisy that they never see.

GarandFan on January 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Hot Air is my refuge of sanity!

can_con on January 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

What are your thoughts on Harper? I get the impression that Canada is, in some respects, freer than the United States.

22044 on January 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Another tepid pile of moderate-pollyanna bullshit from MrMorrissey.
Try posting at DU, CommonDreams, DailyKos or any other progressive-regressive dung heap and see how long you last.

rayra on January 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Over at Huffinglue Post if you disagree with a liberal you are labeled a “Bagger”.That term is really overused there.

jeffinsjvca on January 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM

itsspideyman on January 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

And you’re marrying her…why?
If she’s conservative, she has these “friends”…why?

Maddie on January 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

As examples of proof to the claim, ,one need only compare the actions here at HotAir and other conservative blogs to Democrat Underground, KOS, and LGF. Here, the trolls, although not at all bright, are allowed to post their journolist talking points and are not banned unless they make overt threats. On the liberal blogs, a conservative making rational, reasoned, and topical points in a discussion is labeled a hater and banned, his postings deleted and all evidence of his existence erased. Leftists cannot tolerate any dissent, particularly rational dissent. They always lose in the arena of ideas, thus the need to redefine terms, alter the language, and shout down opposing viewpoints.

AZfederalist on January 24, 2013 at 10:15 AM

can_con on January 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Enjoy your comments very much. Glad you are here. Now I have two solid friends to the North! P.S. anything you can do about that Drywall guy would be appreciated. ; )

Bmore on January 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I’ve found a couple smaller blogs that lean left. They don’t claim to pursue a left-wing agenda. I often post on them, frequently expressing disagreement with the consensus.

My comments usually stand, and occasionally disagreed with. That’s OK by me.

22044 on January 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM

22044 on January 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I am a big supporter of Harper, of course he is from Alberta (see Texas north). It took a long time to forge a new conservative party up here (we had the Alliance party, Reform Party, and badly beaten Progressive Conservative). i hope the Tea Party eventually takes over the GOP.

Are we freer? Hmmm. In some ways. Our health care system (which is not a fit for a large country) does provide a sense of freedom due to it’s portability not being tied to employment. Our monetary policy is pretty stable.resource richness provides us with a stable economic base and there is less reliance on service industries employment. Lots of opportunities here I feel.

But I do worry that we will fall into the cult of personality here electing our own Obama ( see Justin Trudeau).

can_con on January 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

1. kirsten powers, make-believe liberal and fox news personality, needs to flatter conservatives to keep her job.

2. tolerance is overrated.

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Is this remedial education? The fact of leftist intolerance goes to the nature of the Left — dating back to 18th century.

rrpjr on January 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Well, since they haven’t arrived at their positions through logical progression and carefully disciplined and rational analysis which can be logically demonstrated even to an honest skeptic it becomes necessary to avoid any approach to an issue that requires same. And since their objective is to control rather than convince, yeah, I’d say they’re less tolerant and what passes for tolerance to them is usually condescenscion masquerading.

Cleombrotus on January 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Leftists cannot make rational arguments, and always suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect. Proof:

2. tolerance is overrated.

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Anti-Control on January 24, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Its really pretty simple, very very few liberals are well versed in their own ideology and the liberals who are know the liberal ideology is a false premise.

In the end the attempt to intimidate is all every liberal has to offer and after they’ve been defeated repeatedly, they go straight to it.

Speakup on January 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Bmore on January 24, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Thanks Bmore. I’ve been here since 2007 but only recently started chiming in. This is definitely one of the best places to discuss things from a conservative (read as sane) POV.

Haven’t seen drywal around here for a bit.

As an aside: any idea how many posters are actually on here? I think it has to be under 250. I like the small community feel, but am always disheartened to see posts that garner 20 comments.

Surely there are more of us than that!

can_con on January 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM

2. tolerance is overrated.

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

NNOOOOWWWWWW tolerance is overrated. After being the mantra of the left for a generation, now suddenly it’s not so grand when they’re the intolerant ones.

Whether tolerance is or is not a virtue, kinda sucks to be hoisted on one’s own petard, no?

Given the atmosphere at places like HuffPo and Kos, and given the tendency and pattern of comments disappearing from those sites and others, and given the Twitter Gulag, one might as well ask if Billy Graham is less Catholic than the Pope… online.

The Schaef on January 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM

2. tolerance is overrated.

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

So, if I understand you, one has to be a screaming irrational shrew like Rachael Madcow to affirm their liberal creds?

And yes, tolerance is overrated. Liberals aren’t seeking common ground. They are the enemy not allies in a common fight. They should be treated accordingly.

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

2. tolerance is overrated.

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Couldn’t help yourself, could ya.
Thanks for proving the point.

Jabberwock on January 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

And you’re marrying her…why?
If she’s conservative, she has these “friends”…why?

Maddie on January 24, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Maddie, you ask a great question.

One of the great quotes by Rush is “love is the one emotion you cannot control”.

I love her. I’ve been in a relationship where we agreed with one another politically but we fought like cats and dogs.

The one thing that she and I never put on the table is our political views. She loves me as much as I love her, and neither of us can see living without the other.

Plus, as a conservative, I believe more than progressives in the freedom of ideas. She has the right to her opinions, as I have to mine.

itsspideyman on January 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

We have been telling liberals this very thing for a long time, and they argued with us. The same with one baby-killer finally admitting on Salon that abortion kills a human child. In both instances, as among a plethora of others, we have been right all along and libs are getting around to admitting it.

Next thing you know, liberals will tell us that jihadis really do want to destroy America and kill us.

Liam on January 24, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Bmore on January 24, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Even under the Marquess of Queensberry rules, you can hit back.

cheeflo on January 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Saul Alinsky the progressive left’s prophet of the generation did not teach the progressives tolerance.

As I have said before, I am amazed at how liberals can openly express the most vile calumnious stereotyping of conservatives and Republicans while working every day with Republicans and Conservatives who are nothing like the stereotypes. It is Orwellian doublethinking. My mother was a coal-miner’s daughter Union Democrat. Her four sons all are Republicans. She would sit at the dinner table and proclaim that “all” Republicans are this or that and do this or that to we Republicans who did and were nothing of the sort. The ability to completely shed any congnitive dissonance was amazing.

KW64 on January 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Leftist tollerance here at HA.

Go find a ditch to die in.
lostmotherland on December 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Bmore on January 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

what i mean is that powers is employed by conservative media so they can scream “even liberal kirsten powers say conservatives are right/unfairly maligned on [insert topic du jour]”

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

how would you like to be treated by liberals then? why do you weep when they treat you as the enemy as well?

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

cheeflo on January 24, 2013 at 10:52 AM

True! ; ) More of a Brazilian Jiujitsu guy myself though. Lol!

Bmore on January 24, 2013 at 10:57 AM

1. Is there any epithet thrown by conservatives at liberals online that is even remotely the equivalent of “RethugliKKKan” or “teahadist”? I see these epithets thrown ALL THE TIME, even in the comments sections of respected papers such as the Washington Post and New York Times. And often they are throwm immediately in reply to ANY conservative post, even a basic one reciting facts about, for example, the national debt. Just looking at what people call each other online tells you that liberals are a lot less tolerant. The worst names we end to call liberals are “Marxists” and “socialists” and “communists”, which are descriptors of actual ideologies. What, exactly, is a “Teahadist”? These epithets are designed to smear and shut people up, not to engage in civil debate about policy differences.

2. Has there been a website constructed by any conservative for the sole purpose of insulting and demeaning President Obama, like the “Smirking Chimp” website was for George W. Bush? Sure, there have been some occasional tmblrs that are tasteless, but usually they are pulled by poeple on our side. Do an image search for “Bush=Hitler” and see how many images you get.

3. Are there conservatives attacking liberals on Twitter and getting their accounts suspended? This happens every single day to conservatives. I am not a heavy Twitter user, and it’s happened to me twice in the last month, both times when I simply tried to engage in a civil converation on a liberal hashtag and present dome facts. A conservative has fought back by starting a list and website called the Twitter Gulag Defense Network, which thousands of conservatives have signed up for.

Liberals simply cannot stand any questioning of their faith. Amazing for the people who CONSTANTLY shout about us conservative neanderthals clinging to our religion and trying to foist it on others. Liberalism IS a religion. Everything liberals want to do is based on nothing but faith – faith in government finally working when it has never worked before, faith that massive borrowing and spending will fix the economy when that has never hapened before, faith that forcing Americans to drink smaller sodas will make us all happier and healthier; you name it.

rockmom on January 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Happy Nomad on January 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Answered before being asked.
You are not seeking a common ground.
A while back, you yourself said the Constitution was yours and that you’d rewrite as you pleased.
That is a pretty good way to make an enemy.

Jabberwock on January 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

You are not seeking a common ground.
That is a pretty good way to make an enemy.

Jabberwock on January 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

you’re not seeking a common ground, either. in fact, i’m not the least bit interested in changing your mind about anything. i actually would like you to be even crazier than you are now.

i never said that the constitution was mine any more than it was yours. i did say it can be rewritten if we – a majority of Americans, our will expressed through our elected representatives – so please.

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

2. tolerance is overrated.

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

You should add these:

3. Forming coherent arguments is overrated.

4. Facts are negotiable, interchangable, and should be set aside.

5. When you cannot win an argument, default to the ad hominen attack; then, repeat the attack often.

6. Make no effort to understand your opponant’s point of view.

7. Accuse your opponant of being unequal to the task of understanding your P.O.V.

Vera71 on January 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

It’s the egregious double standard. Progressives have long claimed that tolerance is an essential virtue tied up with justice and equality and all the rest of that crap. Liberals try to shame their opponents into abiding by some notion of tolerance while freely violating their own supposed values.

The media treats liberals and conservatives very differently but they offer a public face of being impartial and “fact based”. Of course being “fact based” is a liberal delusion anyway.

It’s also the way liberal politicians approach their rhetoric. Take any Obama speech – including his recent inaugural – and he regularly lies about the values he has (like limits on government, a place for civil society, and liberty) and portrays all of his opponents as greedy, corrupt, and unreasonable. Obama demands a “balanced” approach to debt reduction but his plans are 90% tax and spend and 10% accounting gimmicks and defense cuts.

Liberals have also long used “tolerance” as a shield against arguments regarding their progressive policies. You don’t think banks should be forced to give out loans to people who can’t afford them? You’re racist.

Claiming your opponent is intolerant is a classic liberal tactic of using personal attacks instead of making actual arguments.

gwelf on January 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I’m absolutely finished trying to argue logical points with Dims, Libs, Marxists, Socialists and Communists (they’re all the enemy in my book). I’ve tried time and time again for years, and all it gets me is higher blood pressure and a whole lot of grief.

They all can go die in a fire, slowly, as far as I’m concerned.

Tolerance is one thing, and I’m as tolerant as they come. But what I will no longer tolerate is the kind of condescending, you’re Conservative, so you have no right to speak or even exist, kind of attitude that the “enlightened” ones always have.

The mentality that the Bill of Rights somehow only ensures they’re right to speak, while all it affords anyone else is a right to listen and remain silent. The mentality that if you’re Conservative, you’re nothing but a backwoods, inbred, Bible thumping, gun-clinging, global warming denying, Tea-Bagging, uneducated rube.

But the reality, is that most of them don’t have the slightest sparkle of understanding of what being Conservative really means other than what they read on HuffPo or Slate or MSLSD, or are told in ten-second sound bites from their Messiah and King or one of his henchmen.

Tolerance is fine and good, but it goes both ways. THEY never seem to have any shred of that which they so brazenly demand from the rest of us.

Meople on January 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I will not go all RogerB on you, but you did write that.

It takes a bit more than a majority.

Just so. Just so.

Jabberwock on January 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Conservatives didn’t create “speech codes” in schools to shut up any opposition to their ideology. Liberals often attack freedom of speech because that speech is “intolerant”. Liberals use “tolerance” as an excuse to violate all sorts of natural rights.

It’s refreshing though that you admit this – most liberals have a hard time acknowledging that they don’t really believe in liberty and republican government where the people are sovereign.

gwelf on January 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Flange on January 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Tolerance is one of a great many words the LiberalSpeak dictionary redefines into its own antonym.

The word tolerance means to hate the holy living hell out of something, but put up with it anyway. No liberal has ever done that and no liberal ever will.

Are liberals happy if you tolerate homosexuality? Of course not; you must EMBRACE it and publically sing its praises — or else they treat you as a member of a pitchfork-weilding mob going house to house, kicking bedroom doors open and murdering fornicators.

Do liberals tolerate peaceable gun owners? Not for a second. Every time some psycho steals a gun and goes on a rampage, in the minds of liberals, then both he and the legal gun owner who finally ends his spree become indistinguishable partners in a gang of a hundred million fellow criminals.

logis on January 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Back in the day liberals would defend some of their outrageous ideas by saying, “I may disagree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” Basically saying that they could say anything but so could you.
Liberals of yesteryear have morphed into the radical progressives of today and they have become what they in fact despised. Intolerant, arrogant and oppressive. Conservatives on the other hand have become more tolerant and open.

kemojr on January 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM

There is no doubt in my mind that Conservatives are far more tolerant, respectful, mature and polite than Liberals, in general.

OxyCon on January 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Just look at the the recent gun grabbing reaction to Sandy Hook. The modern Democrat party is pretty much the same as the Nazi party. Radical socialists who use children for propaganda and are intolerant of any views other than their own. Kirsten Powers might be the only reasonable Democrat left, and that’s only 1/4th of the time and she’s allowed to say it out loud because she works for FNC.

sauldalinsky on January 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Absolutely true. I’ve found that liberals are not in any way willing to even make an attempt to defend their positions when presented with a conservative critique. They just look for ways to shut down the discussion.

Progressive Heretic on January 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM

itsspideyman on January 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Bubba, you need to speak up now and clear the air, or things are going to explode at some later date. Marshal your arguments and wade into combat, or suffer in silence – I know what my answer would be if these were people I would be forced to spend time with in the future.

GWB on January 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I tink their intolerance stems from the fact that their arguments lose in a debate on ideas. So if they can’t win they attack people. It is more laziness, ignorance, or mere stupidity than plain intolerance.

Ellis on January 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Likewise with a pile of other libs-turned-moderates/conservatives who would agree with her, such as Bernie Goldberg, Dennis Miller, David Mamet. By and large, modern libs favor tolerance only when it works to their favor.

petefrt on January 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM

burserker on January 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I work in Austin, liberals are very combative when they are in their realm, and they believe the internet to be their domainburserker on January 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Preventive Dentistry.

Jabberwock on January 24, 2013 at 2:18 PM

In my simplistic view, liberal/progressives think that what they believe in will ultimately benefit mankind. They have no doubt about it. If there have been bad outcomes from liberal/progressive ideas it is because it was implemented incorrectly. Kind of the argument put forward for why socialism or communism didn’t work out as either concept [ideally] should have.

If you believe your ideas are the absolute truth then anyone who does not hold the same belief must obviously be against the absolute truth. Therefore any opposition has to be evil because they oppose the absolute truth. I think most people would understand how hard it is to compromise with or even give a fair hearing to “evil” ideas.

I think most conservatives tend to think ‘we want the same thing but think that there is a different way to go about it’. They tend to accept that their position is their view and that someone else might hold a different view. However the opposition is not thought of as “evil” per se, but as mistaken, ignorant, etc. It is a whole lot easier to tolerant when you think the opposition can be educated (or debated) into changing its position.

Naturally there are exceptions and radical-types on the conservative side, but I think that overall that conservative types would tend to be more open to debate than liberal/progressive types. They don’t view debate as a betrayal of their beliefs.

Russ808 on January 24, 2013 at 3:05 PM

sesquipedalian on January 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Always love seeing the anti-war Left use war terms to describe their own actions. What’s even funnier is that they’re too dumb to realize it.

A+