Groupon indefinitely suspends all gun-related deals

posted at 11:31 am on January 23, 2013 by Erika Johnsen

Obviously, Groupon is perfectly within their rights to sell whatever type of deals they so choose, but I gotta’ say — I am genuinely surprised by this decision. The firearms industry is going gangbusters, applications for concealed carry permits are skyrocketing across various states (see: South Dakota, Kansas, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina, Oklahoma, and etcetera), and people are going to find firearms classes to take regardless of whether Groupon helps them do so or not — must be some tremendous pressure they’ve been getting from gun-control advocates, and I’d guess that a good chunk of their customer base is along the more urban-liberal line, too. HuffPo reports:

Under pressure from gun-control advocates, Groupon abruptly canceled all gun-related deals in North America on Friday.

The move sparked anger and even boycotts from some gun business owners who say their deals were immensely popular and that the online coupon company failed to notify them of the change.

Gun control proponents applauded the move. “We, along with other groups, had been applying pressure to Groupon for some time now because we were disturbed by the flippant nature of previous gun deals,” said Ladd Everritt, director of communications at The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit. …

Groupon told HuffPost that its move was not politically motivated. In an emailed statement, Mossler said the deal site’s categories and inventory “evolve with consumer and merchant sentiment” and the “change to our inventory is not a statement against these small businesses.”

As much as President Obama and certain Democrats have conspicuously been avoiding the term “gun control” and adroitly replacing it with “gun safety,” it seems to me that these gun-control advocates are doing their part to blithely ensure that gun safety and education just doesn’t happen. People use and carry guns defensively across America every single day, ensuring both their own safety as well as creating a positive externality for their communities, and these introductory, concealed carry, and practice classes are what make it happen. What a shame.

Comments

When my wife saw this the other day, she said she’d no longer use Groupon. That means that the last Groupon we did was…$40 range time for our local gun range. Suck it, Groupon, we don’t need your service.

Weight of Glory on January 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM

“We have always been at war with EastAsia”

BobMbx on January 23, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Um, a couple of gun ranges around here used to do groupon for training and safety classes.

Groupon doesn’t want people to be safe and knowledgeable.

cozmo on January 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Exactly…Groupon is pointless in this marketplace right now.

Gun Dealers don’t need Groupon to get their message out to consumers…it appears that Obama is doing more for them then Groupon could ever do.

weaselyone on January 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Wow. I’ve never been first in my 6 years posting comments here. I guess this calls for a “Bishop!”

Weight of Glory on January 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I’ve never used groupon, and definitely won’t now.
Does that qualify as a boycott?

dentarthurdent on January 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Well let’s just say Grey Poupon on Groupon. They’re just accelerating their demise faster.

iamsaved on January 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

iamsaved on January 23, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Groupon is the color of mustard – YELLOW.

MelonCollie on January 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Groupon told HuffPost that its move was not politically motivated.

It was fear motivated in response to political threats. A distinction without a difference.

RadClown on January 23, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Maybe they’ll replace these with specials on half-price abortions.

RSbrewer on January 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Never used them, never will (now, anyway).

bernzright777 on January 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Sorry, I have never heard of Groupon. I had to look them up.

Bmore on January 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Groupon told HuffPost that its move was not politically motivated.

So not only are they misguided, but cowardly too.

SAZMD on January 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Weight of Glory on January 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

lol…let me be the FIRST to say congrats!

(now I’m going to go unsubscribe from Groupon)

Tim_CA on January 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Weight of Glory on January 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Congratulations placeholder.Lol! ; )

Bmore on January 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Maybe they’ll replace these with specials on half-price abortions.

RSbrewer on January 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Why would they need to offer deals on abortions or even birth control (for the fluksters) – since the gubmint is going to pay for it all anyway….

dentarthurdent on January 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Tim_CA on January 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Bmore on January 23, 2013 at 11:48 AM

thanks! a high watermark to be sure.

Weight of Glory on January 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM

It’s worth pointing out that the Groupon deals weren’t anything like “buy a gun, get a second 50% off”. The deals were for safety classes, range time, training, etc. You know, the kinds of things which improve safety. Missing the mark, wide–it’s the leftist way!

Mohonri on January 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM

thanks! a high watermark to be sure.

Weight of Glory on January 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Ah, next multiples, Koolaid2 holds the record at 27 consecutive.

Bmore on January 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Just cancelled and completely eliminated my GROUPON account.

Deleted GROUPON bookmark(s) in all browsers.

Done with GROUPON in this household, forever.

Over & Out!

SD Tom on January 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Ah, next multiples, Koolaid2 holds the record at 17 consecutive.

Bmore on January 23, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Correction. ; )

Bmore on January 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Groupon told HuffPost that its move was not politically motivated.

Male bovine solid waste!

They then turn around and say:

What is that if not exactly politically motivated. May they find the same backlash and impact to their business that those advertisers that pulled off Rush found.

Haven’t used Groupon, had thought about checking them out, will not do so now.

AZfederalist on January 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Never used GROUPON… looks like I never will…

Khun Joe on January 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I used Groupon a couple of times and wasn’t really impressed. Very few local deals for my area and the others were pretty much available on lots of other sites. Just not worth it. And I am extremely cheap and always looking for a deal.

Deanna on January 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

My daughter tried Groupon awhile back. Rather a useless bunch.

TerryW on January 23, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Not politically motivated? At least have the courage to say you gave in under pressure from the other sissies.

badtemper on January 23, 2013 at 12:01 PM

No, its right on the Left’s mark. The Left doesn’t want any of us honing the ability to use fire arms safely and accurately. The Left doesn’t want us to have fire arms at all. Way too threatening to the Lefts ultimate goal for us. Someday some of us might find a reason to put that training to good use much to the Left’s displeasure.

hawkeye54 on January 23, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Deanna on January 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Agreed. Most of the coupons in my “area” were for things like sustainably grown organic Thai food at small restaurants on the North Side of Chicago…50 miles away from my house.

JimLennon on January 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Bought my CHL class through Living Social in December. Guess I’ll stick with them.

TexasDan on January 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Ohhhhh. Whey they said “gun safety”, you thought they meant YOUR safety. I see the misunderstanding.

No, they meant safety for the guy trying to rape your daughter or break into your house.

kurtzz3 on January 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Guess I’ll just stick with Living Social. Of all places, Chicago Living Social has a Shooting and Drinking event.

LoganSix on January 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I took a gun safety class through Groupon. It was okay but next time I will go to an established gun dealer.

In Los Angeles they offered a shooting and cocktails class on Friday night for all the hipsters! (Hopefully cocktails came after shooting.) Very popular. But we can’t have any more hipster murders!

PattyJ on January 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Weight of Glory on January 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

IOW, you don’t camp the site hitting F5, and you read before you comment.

I think the place of honor should be post #1000, but only if you call it.

TexasDan on January 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

The road to out-of-business is paved with hipsters.

roy_batty on January 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

This is one of the ways the grabbers will try to restrict firearms. Pressure businesses to not sell firearm related items or allow firearm advertisements.

Dr. Frank Enstine on January 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Thanks for posting this Erika. It’s always good to know what side everyone is on.

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Sent email last night asking to have my account closed. And told them exactly why. Their decision was politically motivated, and so was mine. :)

Apparently they have a backlog of emails currently, as I got an automated response telling me it would be responded to within 48 hrs, rather than the usual 24.

tickleddragon on January 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

weaselyone on January 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Isn’t that the truth!! It always amazes me that businesses always think that “we” need them, LOL

Hey Groupon, you’re not Hobby Lobby or Chik-fil-a. You don’t want to support us, we don’t need to support you. What wimps; bad as the R’s in Congress!!

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

tickleddragon on January 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Good for you. I’d do the same, but never registered there.

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I bet Groupon continues to sell adult toys to promote STD safety

Skywise on January 23, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Groupon is the color of mustard – YELLOW.

MelonCollie on January 23, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Good one:-)

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Groupon is for groupies.

Archivarix on January 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I used a Groupon for my CHL renewal a few months ago. Too bad. It was a really good deal.

As of now, I have canceled my Groupon account and will look to Living Social for firearms related deals in the future.

When will companies learn that bowing to a very small but very vocal minority is not a good business decision?

stvnscott on January 23, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Weight of Glory on January 23, 2013 at 11:39 AM

You’ll have to copy & paste this on the QOTD tonight:-) Good job!!

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Never used them never will.

Haven’t they almost bankrupted several times?

I for one won’t miss them…

Buh Bye Groupon :-)

Scrumpy on January 23, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Went to the site to do a looky-loo. Since they require an e-mail address to even look I said buh-bye.

Limerick on January 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I think the place of honor should be post #1000, but only if you call it.

TexasDan on January 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

LOL!

Groupon told HuffPost that its move was not politically motivated.

I would bet that the “pressure” applied was along the lines of “the instant someone who used a ‘groupon’ shoots someone, we will make sure you are sued into oblivion.” They’re right in saying it wasn’t political – it was extortion.

GWB on January 23, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Someone linked to this site on HA, but can’t remember who. It’s quite a list. Thanks to the HA poster that did. Very informative!!

http://patriotaction.net/group/iresistguncontrol/forum/topic/show? id=2600775:Topic:6051769&xgs=1&xg_source=msg_share_topic

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Don’t know what happened to the link. Just copy and paste the entire link and it should work.

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM

TexasDan on January 23, 2013 at 12:08 PM

we did too and also in December. twofer for $120 with additional range time included and good for 6 months

DanMan on January 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM

FYI…just cancelled.

Got the following e-mail:

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your submission! Although we typically respond to most emails in less than 24 hours, we’re running a little behind right now. You should hear from us in about 48 hours. Sorry in advance for the delay!

Looks like they’re a little busy!

Tim_CA on January 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM

wow! That is a lot of opposition to our constitution!

DanMan on January 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I think I’ll open an Groupon account just so I can close it.

The top two reasons to own a gun are to “shoot a bastard” and to “shoot a tyrant,”or at least to have the capacity to do so, and if you Want a good return on your investment, buy gold; but, if you want a good return on your freedom – buy lead.

ProfShadow on January 23, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I’ve never used groupon, and definitely won’t now.

Who is Groupon and why do I care? They could quit doing business tomorrow and I wouldn’t be aware of it.

TulsAmerican on January 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM

TulsAmerican on January 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM

lol….You’re really not missing much.

Tim_CA on January 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Well, that’s a shame. I enjoyed using Groupons. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll be able to move on.

Red Cloud on January 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM

lol….You’re really not missing much.

my wife looks for stuff on groupon and living social. She printed up a $100 Discount Tire coupon for $20 on groupon that I think is the best deal I have seen from them.

we did a living social deal at a winery that ended like every wine tasting at a winery ends up…two free glasses of wine and you end up buying half a case but hey, it was very good wine

DanMan on January 23, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I liked Groupon and I still have some deals to use. I hope they’ll reconsider.

But maybe the laws of supply & demand are here. Groupon is basically a method to increase demand for its clients. I think lack of demand is hardly a concern in the gun industry these days.

22044 on January 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I work with an extremely NON-in-your-face pro-life non-profit that has one major event/fundraiser a year. Last year, for the first time, we decided to offer a Groupon to event.

We had an agreement with them, I believe that everything was signed, and they canceled us. Because we were controversial (we’re not) or political (we’re not) or something.

Haven’t used them since.

29Victor on January 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Haven’t used them since.

29Victor on January 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM

If I may ask, who is your organization? Is it SBA List?

22044 on January 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Why does the political left have all the “leverage”? Why can they dictate what Groupon or anyone else does? Because they have the media and academia, that is why.

We need more libertarians and conservatives in media and academia. People on the right, PLEASE consider a career in education or journalism.

In the meantime, we need to set about figuring out how to exert leverage in the opposite direction on people such as Groupon.

crosspatch on January 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM

If I may ask, who is your organization? Is it SBA List?

22044 on January 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM

No, it’s no one that big. It’s called 4US. We raise money to purchase ultrasounds for crisis pregnancy centers. No politics, no shouting, no arguing (NTTAWWT), just illumination. And even that was too much for Groupon.

29Victor on January 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM

29Victor on January 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Awesome, God bless you guys.

22044 on January 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Nice. I’m indefinately suspending having anything to do with Groupon.

FiveG on January 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Groupon has always sucked and now sucks more….

Is there a coupon deal for only weapons or ammo?

redguy on January 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Bill Introduced To Repeal ‘Gun-Free School Zones Act’ Because Deadly Mass Shootings Up Five-Fold Under It

Rep. Steve Stockman (R-TX) has introduced a bill to repeal the “Gun-Free School Zones Act” of 1990 (updated in 1995) on the grounds that mass shootings at schools have increased five-fold since its passage.

The “Safe Schools Act of 2013″ (H.R.35), co-sponsored by Rep Broun, Paul C. [GA-10] notes that the 1990 “gun-free” law has made schools unsafe because “shooters now know that they can victimize American school campuses with no fear that victims will be armed.”

Southern by choice22 on January 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM

What a load of bovine excrement. They’re within their rights to run their business as they see fit. Just don’t try and BS us. Otherwise I might have to ask “Where is your embrace of DIVERSITY? Where is your TOLERANCE? Are you some kind of bigoted hoplophobic?”

GarandFan on January 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM

What is the big deal with Groupon?

The House of Rep’s just voted to ‘temporarily’ SUSPEND part of Article 1 of the US Constitution.

How long until the elites in Washington decide to ‘temporarily’ suspend the 2nd ammendment?

Groupon is just a liberal hack outlet run by hard core leftists and operated by foreigners that have no cares about the US Constitution.

Freddy on January 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM

The wifey loves coupons, but values the 2ndA more. Adding GROUPON to the SUCK list, right behind GE and GM.

ROCnPhilly on January 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM

“conspicuously been avoiding the term ‘gun control’ and adroitly replacing it with ‘gun safety,’”

This is a great example of how they use language to lie. They are very good at this.

Conservatives and libertarians prefer honest and direct language. We call a spade a spade and expect our honest arguments to be evaluated on their merits.

Leftists learned long ago that their arguments are lousy, so they developed deception techniques in which words that mean one thing are used in place of other words that mean something else entirely, and are often times antonyms for the first term. In some cases this abuse of language has been so pervasive that the general definition of the term itself has been corrupted.

The best example of this is the word “liberal,” which in decades past meant something close to what libertarian means today. Leftists, who were anything but liberal, began calling themselves liberals both as a cover and as a con. They were so consistent in using this term to describe themselves that today the word “liberal” means a covert Marxist or statist, which is the exact opposite of its original meaning. Its true meaning only lives on in compound terms like Liberal Democracy.

In the most advanced version of this technique, the word or term chosen has no real meaning in the first place, hence the use of the word “diversity” to defend and promote racial, sexual, and other forms of discrimination on the part of colleges and other organizations.

This is something that conservatives and libertarians should recognize and learn from. Allowing the enemy to choose the terms used to debate ideas often time hands them an undeserved victory.

leereyno on January 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM

wow! That is a lot of opposition to our constitution!

DanMan on January 23, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I was shocked at that list. Still haven’t read the entire thing.
Enemies all!! Regarding Hollywood, I haven’t been to a movie in years so they don’t get any of my money, LOL Am making some other adjustments after seeing that list also.

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 2:30 PM

How do I boycott a company I never used anyway?

Adjoran on January 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM

29Victor on January 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Evidently Groupon is/has been a leftist group all along? True Colors coming out everywhere it seems!! Perhaps we Conservatives & Americans need to do research before supporting any organization.

Kudos for the work you do and that organization. We need to know of Pro-Life groups and Pro-American also.

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Yeah, I’m sure a mass murderer is going to rethink his plans because he couldn’t use a groupon deal to get his gun extra cheap.

“Well, no dice on that mass shooting, maybe I’ll go get a frozen yogurt with this other groupon deal I found…”

The logic of these gunphobes is incredible.

Scrappy on January 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Southern by choice22 on January 23, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Thanks for posting this. We need to support them on this. It was an ignorant defeating idea anyway. I notice they didn’t pass a law to remove alarms from the Banks and advertise that! “This Bank is an alarm-free zone” Insanity at work by this Country’s enemies no less.

bluefox on January 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM

…in other words…their business sucks…and they need to grope onto ‘something’ for attention!

KOOLAID2 on January 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Cancelled my Groupon account this morning after seeing this on Twitchy. I spent a good amount of money with them and let them know that when I e-mailed customer support to let them know why I was cancelling.

hollygolightly on January 23, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Goebbels wet his coffin, again.

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Not doing so good anyway

Schadenfreude on January 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM

6 people, with one holding a Bloomberg-funded Lib university chair with an anti-gun book to sell, the other a retread from the Million Mom March retards, cranking the handle on their crank fax machine.

rayra on January 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

btw, leftists don’t want gun safety, they want guns under their control. And if not in their control, they want them in the hands of criminals to sow crises they can legislate with as cover.
That’s why the don’t prosecute people that lie on 4473s
That’s why they prevent reporting of mental defects to teh background check system.
That’s why they run interference against the instant check system so otherwise ineligible criminals can buy guns and send them to drug cartels.
That’s why a Phoenix ATF official’s personally and fraudulantly purchased FN 5.7 pistol was found at the scene of the murdered mexican beauty queen.
And that’s why Josh Sugarmann is allowed to illegally operate his DC-listed FFL on VA soil, so he can provide Evil Assault Weapon props to Democrat legislators to hold up when crying ‘something must be done’

rayra on January 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

rayra on January 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Best description of the MMM imbeciles I ever saw, though made when they were marching for something else:

“One million cavern cootered, pancake t!tted, stretch mark-covered moocows with nothing better to do with their time, including raising their kids.”

MelonCollie on January 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Irrelevant to the price of butter.

TX-96 on January 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM